Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG this is just AWFUL and terrible. PLEASE HELP!

There's something [bold]VERY wrong with the cinnamon supply.[/bold]

Maybe two years ago I noticed that the cinnamon I was using and had been using for YEARS didn't smell or taste right. I mean, most people know what cinnamon should taste like and this wasn't it. That lovely sweet and spicy taste and smell had gone. It tasted INDUSTRIAL for want of a better word. (this is in England this happening) - so I went to another supermarket and bought their label - same thing...and again, somewhere else...and on it went

So recently my mother went to New York and brought me back McCormick, both a ground and a Cinnamon sugar - guess what? Same fucking shit.

I did a bit of a search online others are saying the same thing:

[bold]"This time when I got home and scooped the cinnamon into the glass jar I store it in, I noticed a weird smell. I didn't think too much of it, until a few days later when I made cinnamon toast using this recent batch of cinnamon. I noticed the smell again, and this time when I tasted it, it tasted like detergent!"[/bold]

I don't know what the hell to do next.

Then I bought some "fancy pantsy" cinnamon, one was called Hambledon ... better, but too spicey. None of that sweet AND spicey cinnamon magic.

Any suggestions?

I was going to post on here about this before but I wasn't in the mood for all the stupid insults you get - you're a troll and a loser...all that. I felt too upset about all this to face the meangurls. But I'll just deal with it. Roll with the punches. DL usually sorts this sort of thing out for me. So here I am.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2020 3:44 AM

We get it; you know how to use the bold formatting markup.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote]We get it;

OMG - straight away a "we troll".

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2020 5:05 PM

OP possibly not real cinnamon? Or cut with something? Try an Indian market.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2020 5:07 PM

I think you should get your bloodwork done. You might have a toxic metal buildup.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2020 5:08 PM

Thank you, OP, for speaking up about this.

There are MILLIONS of Americans at this very moment wondering where their next delicious, sweet-but-not-too-spicy stick of cinnamon will come from!

The depression that has sprung from this overwhelming fear is going untreated and will lead to the abuse of other, less exotic substances.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2020 5:10 PM

OP this was deeply tedious the last time you tried it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2020 5:10 PM

Bad crop of cinnamon. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2020 5:11 PM

that fact that you made your mom go to new york to buy you cinnamon......

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2020 5:15 PM

The cinnamon you buy from McCormick and other brands isn't real cinnamon to begin with. It's Chinese Cinnamon, False Cinnamon, or Cassia. It has a completely different taste profile than real cinnamon. Your profound ignorance of this spice is what's lead you to this disastrous moment in your life to begin with and I really don't feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2020 5:17 PM

Buy organic cinnamon (Ceylon only) and turmeric. The chemicals they use to process (strip the bard and hard outer coating) these things conventionally are INSANE - so toxic.

There is so much residue that makes it into the bottle. Not every food you purchase needs to be organic these two do & also ginger.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2020 5:19 PM

Cinnamon explained. See link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2020 5:20 PM

Most of the ground cinnamon purchased in stores in western countries is not real cinnamon. It's a product called Korintje which is similar to cinnamon, but that's all. It comes from Indonesia.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2020 5:21 PM

R12 not quite.

There are three specific types of cassia cinnamon—Indonesian, Chinese, and Saigon—all with different levels of flavor and situations that they are best suited for. Indonesian cassia is the sweetest and most mild of the cassia cinnamons, and is the most common in America. Chinese cassia, on the other hand has a strong, bitter flavor. Chinese cassia isn’t as common in the States, and is mainly used medicinally in China. And then there’s Saigon cassia, which is intensely fragrant and flavorful, almost spicy, and generally our preferred cassia variety.

The "real" cinnamon from Srilanka is the best.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2020 5:34 PM

Any spice that is mass produced isn't the "true" spice. Like other people have said you need to get the fresh stuff, preferably from an Asian market or something of the sort.

That goes for any spices, not just cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2020 5:38 PM

FAT frau cunt thread.

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2020 5:44 PM

I’m not against having a DL cinnamon showdown.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2020 5:50 PM

Cinnamon is good for lowering blood sugar if you have the diabeetus.

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2020 5:53 PM

Just stop eating it, fat ho OP.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2020 5:55 PM

There's one of these stories every year for some product. I forget last years... sriacha sauce? A few years earlier it was canned pumpkin! Which, btw, I never noticed missing from a single grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2020 5:57 PM

R4/R10 well, now I'm freaked out. I've been having generous heaps of grocery store cinammon in my breakfast and my coffee for a year.

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2020 6:13 PM

R17, how do you take it?

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2020 6:23 PM

My fag hag processes pure cinnamon for me, OP. It's easy. Get a Frau to pour ten Cinnamon Almondmilk Macchiato Grandes down her garrulous pie hole. Then, filter her pee through Moondance Cinnamon Potpourri Sachets. Reduce the elixir to a powder using Yankee xl Cinnamon Stick Candles, until you have a fine powder.

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2020 6:32 PM

R21, you can eat regularly and incorporate it into new stuff. You can also get in capsule form if you prefer to take it as a supplement if you're diabetic.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2020 8:05 PM

The biggest source of the spice comes from Cinnaminson, NJ, but the mines gave out years ago and we have to rely on foreign imports.

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2020 8:08 PM

The best cinnamon comes from Vietnam. Accept no substitutes!

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2020 8:16 PM

Indeed, R25, “The Heat is on in Saigon”

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2020 9:30 PM

On OP's iPod?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2020 10:27 PM

Has anyone bought cinnamon sticks then use their coffee grinder to make your own ground cinnamon?

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote]The cinnamon you buy from McCormick and other brands isn't real cinnamon to begin with. It's Chinese Cinnamon, False Cinnamon, or Cassia. It has a completely different taste profile than real cinnamon

I used McCormick for YEARS and it was very, very nice...UNTIL NOW.

I'll try the Vietnamese.

It seems I already bought Ceylon and it was too spicy, no sweetness.

I don't know what the fuck is going on.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2020 11:01 PM

Let Penzey's explain it all to you. Or further confuse you. I like the Ceylon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2020 11:07 PM

I buy Penzeys Vietnamese cinnamon. I'm a discerning spice buyer.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2020 11:12 PM

Does Barbara Bain know about this?

I've been buying the Korintje cinnamon from Penzey's for many years, and have always been satisfied with it.

Does Cinnabon still sell jars of cinnamon, which is the same stuff they use for their sweet rolls? That's supposed to be Korintje cinnamon as well.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2020 11:12 PM

I've tried fancy and common, but like Makara the best. Cinnabon used to sell their ground Makara... see if you can find it OP.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2020 11:13 PM

Penzey’s cinnamon is top notch and they are vocally anti-Trump, so I love them even more!

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2020 11:13 PM

Penzeys is regarded as the Official Spice Merchant of the DataLounge.

Much like Cafe Bustelo is the Official Coffee Merchant.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2020 11:16 PM

Do like others have said and order from Penzey's. And if you or your mother comes to NY again, don't get McCormick's for fuck's sake.

Also, thanks for starting this thread; I knew it would have many humorous responses and it does.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2020 11:23 PM

Learn this:

"Penzeys" not Penzey's."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote]I knew it would have many humorous responses and it does.

Like R18 and R15? - they're absolutely hilarious! I so agree.

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2020 11:44 PM

Penzeys is not available in England.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2020 11:45 PM

OP, if you're using cinnamon as a spice in cooking, that's one thing. If you're consuming it as a supplement because you think it has some kind of health benefit, you need to stop. That's too much cinnamon (and no, it doesn't matter if it's Ceylon cinnamon or the commonly marketed ground cassia bark). Both contain coumarin, which will damage your liver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2020 11:51 PM

No, I use it in cooking.

Cinnamon is not nearly as common a flavour in England as it is in The USA. Apparently it goes back to the founding fathers.

It was in America as a kid when I first fell in love with it. I had Cinnamon Toast for the first time at Rumplemeyers in NYC in 1977 (I remember the day even) and I've had a thing about it ever since.

I use it in hamburgers, steak, I have it on Vanilla Ice Cream, I roast chicken using honey and cinnamon.

It enhances so many things.

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2020 12:11 AM

Though it seems Cinnamon Toast is rather old fashioned and you rarely see it in the USA anymore. Trust me, I looked.

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2020 12:14 AM

No, OP/r38, those were not the replies I meant. I didn't say EVERY response was funny.

I still make myself cinnamon toast on occasion and I think my nieces and nephews like it, too. Can't speak to its general popularity. It's def not something you'd see on a diner menu anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote]Though it seems Cinnamon Toast is rather old fashioned and you rarely see it in the USA anymore. Trust me, I looked.

OP/R42, where would you go to look? Cinnamon toast is something you make at home. I've never heard of going to some kind of dining establishment to get it.

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2020 12:21 AM

[quote]I still make myself cinnamon toast on occasion

How do you make it? Just sprinkle it on buttered toast or do you do more than that?

by Anonymousreply 45September 2, 2020 12:21 AM

I mix cinnamon with a little sugar and sprinkle it on buttered toast. Nothing more to it than that.

by Anonymousreply 46September 2, 2020 12:23 AM

I hate to break the news, but chocolate may be rare and expensive to buy by 2050. The cacao trees are dying because they can't handle the rise in temperatures brought by climate change. To me, cinnamon is far less important in my life. Deny me a hot fudge sundae, I will be crabby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 2, 2020 12:25 AM

[quote]OP/[R42], where would you go to look? Cinnamon toast is something you make at home. I've never heard of going to some kind of dining establishment to get it.

As I said it used to be at Rumplemeyers - strangely I was watching a documentary recently (about a Holocaust survivor in fact) and she said when they first arrived in NYC she had it at Rumplemeyer's and how good it was. It left an impression on her.

by Anonymousreply 48September 2, 2020 12:25 AM

Get a piece of thick-sliced white bread, like Mrs Bairds 'Texas Toast.' Spread butter or margarine on one side of it. Sprinkle cinnamon liberally on the spread side, and sprinkle even more liberally with granulated sugar. Place it on the rack under the broiler in your oven under high heat; watch closely to make sure it doesn't burn. When you see the sugar sizzling in the butter, it's ready.

by Anonymousreply 49September 2, 2020 12:26 AM

i think Rumpleyer's did that on BOTH sides.

by Anonymousreply 50September 2, 2020 12:32 AM

Pop singer Harry Nilsson went to Rumplemeyer's and married his waitress. They were together until he died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 2, 2020 12:34 AM

I go once a year to the spice market in Istanbul and stock up on what I need for the year. It tastes fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2020 2:07 AM

I adore the Shaigon shinnamon. It'sh terrific on my toasht!

by Anonymousreply 53September 2, 2020 3:02 AM

Cinnamon is the ONLY name for a pole dancer.

by Anonymousreply 54September 2, 2020 3:12 AM

r54, how about Chardonnay as a pole dancer's name? It could be spelled Chardonne with an accent mark over the e.

by Anonymousreply 55September 2, 2020 3:40 AM

R55 - We’ll allow it.

by Anonymousreply 56September 2, 2020 3:41 AM

r55, type alt-0233 to get an é.

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2020 3:42 AM

Great! How about Tanqueray, same accented e at the end. Tres exotique.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2020 3:44 AM

e alt-0233

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2020 3:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!