Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone tried Effexor xr?

I have been on almost every anti depressant(prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, lexapro)

by Anonymousreply 72April 2, 2021 7:55 AM

Effexor made me very anxious, actually.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2020 1:22 AM

Yes. It worked for. Me. Like someone turned off a light switch. Been on it for almost 20 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote]Has anyone tried Effexor XR?

[quote]I have been on almost every anti depressant(prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, lexapro)

How depressing!

The effect on your English, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2020 1:25 AM

Thanks @R2 That’s horrible @R1

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2020 1:27 AM

The only thing Effexor did for me was make me have a lot of dream-orgasms. I'm a lady so that was both fairly unfamiliar to me and cool. It did not undepress me, though. Only thing that ever undepressed me was Prozac, the first time I took it. Sometimes I wonder if it fucked with some kind of sensitivity in my brain or something because nothing worked since then.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2020 1:45 AM

I have been on Effexor and now the generic version for years. It works for me, but these drugs are very specific from person-to-person.

I've heard about bad withdrawal symptoms, but didn't experience that when I quit a few years ago.

I'm back on them now and probably will be until I die.

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2020 2:28 AM

i took effexor xr for about 15 years, i was taking the max dose but i think my body just got used to it and it wasn't working anymore. My doctor switched me to cymbalta. Effexor was very good but if i missed a dose i got "brain zaps". it was a weird, buzzing feeling in my brain. You've got to take it regularly. Cymbalta was an easy switch with no side effects.

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2020 2:50 AM

I get the brain Zaps and anxiety if I miss a dose. So this almost never happens... Lol

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2020 4:59 AM

If you are having a hard time * finding* an anti-depressant I reccommend two things before you try another one:

1) Take the genetic blood-test now available through your psychiatrist that may give you answers as to which class/ formulations/ ingredients of medications would be suited to your unique body chemistry.

2) Make ABSOLUTELY SURE your diagnosis is correct. I say this because many individuals find out by default that they are on the bi-polar spectrum because their symptoms of depression are greatly alleviated by the addition of a mood stabilizer like Lamictal ir an Atypical like Latuda, which frankly changed my life over night. If you are not sure if your provider is up to the task, by all means get a reccommended Second opinion.

And for heaven's sake do it before starting a medication like Efexor, which as someone above has mentioned has one of the Nastiest discontinuation syndromes on record. Trust me- you don't want to start this med only to find out it isn't for you.

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2020 5:28 AM

Thank you @R9

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2020 5:47 AM

Effexor worked to take the edge off. I remember a situation that made me extremely upset and hurt. Normally, I would perseverate over things like that, but I felt the medication dulling the extreme emotions that were trying to take over.

Oddly, I started taking Effexor to stop hot flashes, which worked in stopping them, but it also had an added benefit of taking the edge off.

I know when I stopped, I became agitated easier and impatient.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2020 8:26 AM

Effexor may be activating so it’s better for patients whose depression symptoms include low energy and anhedonia. It works by increasing the serotonin and norepinephrine levels. The increase in serotonin may cause insomnia for some people. Mostly though venlafaxine is known to have more sexual/ libido suppression and GI side effects than many other SSRIs/ SNRIs.

Sometimes Effexor may send a patient into hypomania or even mania, then that’s when we know he/ she may actually be bipolar instead of depression.

Are you taking it for depression or anxiety? Some people take it in the morning because they can’t sleep at night when they do take it at nighttime. But it’s dependent on the individual. Sometimes you’ll have to play around with the time and dosage. Always take it with food to lessen GI side effects. Most of the side effects are dose-dependent.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2020 9:12 AM

Trazodone. Is very good for anxiety, quality sleep and it doesn't mess with sexual function. The downside is that it's quite sedating and sometimes increases appetite. It actually has opioid qualities, so it functions quite different from a lot of the others. It is not chemically related to SSRIs or the tricyclics. It's an old school med that is having a new look. Helps people get off benzos, doesn't cause agitation or too many GI symptoms and doesn't have nightmare discontinuation symptoms. Calming effects, reduction in anxiety and not only helps with sleep - it usually increases the quality of sleep. As others have said - these drugs are highly individual to the individual. I despise anti depressants but have benefited in numerous ways from low dose of Trazodone.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 4:56 AM

Effexor is a bitch to stop.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 5:02 AM

I was in a deep, deep, suicidal depression after a breakup at age 40. The deepest. Did months of talk therapy. Worked hard, wanted to feel better and "get on with my life," but my body or brain just wouldn't comply. My antidepressants (Wellbutrin + Celexa) weren't helping. Then I switched to a new psychiatrist and he added venlafaxine to my Wellbutrin.

I swear to you, it was like a light turned on or someone pulled me off a ledge. Literal life-saver.

I don't know if it will help you. It really helped me. I have also gone off it for a while, with no "brain zaps," withdrawal or other symptoms. Again, that's just my experience.

I guess my advice would be, foremost, if you aren't getting results in therapy or with a psychiatrist, switch it up and keep trying. Each med works differently. One (or some combo) can work for you. Just keep trying. It's out there.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 5:11 AM

Thanks @R15, @R14, and @R13

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 5:13 AM

If "activating" antidepressants like venlafaxine/Effexor and bupropion/Wellbutrin make you nervous, that can be solved by combining with escitalopram/Lexapro. That worked for a long time in my case.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 5:19 AM

Cymbalta turned me into a space cadet. Felt like there was this all of water around me, and I was on it less than a week. Took longer than that to get back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 5:20 AM

*WALL of water....

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 5:20 AM

I believe Pristiq is more or less the same. I don't remember which way it goes but one of them metabolizes into the other. And Pristiq is also a bitch to stop. I remember coming off Pristiq and in addition to brain zaps, ai became unusually aware of vibrations. I would lay on my couch and I could "feel" the elevator moving in my building. It was a very unusual sensation.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 5:23 AM

You can read all kinds of reviews of antidepressants all over the internet.

People who have had bad experiences are more likely to post a review than people with good experiences. Everyone's brain chemistry is different, and what was bad for someone won't necessarily be bad for you.

You should ultimately trust your doctor, who has the latest information and knows your personal history. If you don't have faith in your doctor's judgment, GET ANOTHER! That's what I did, and it made the difference.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 5:27 AM

I had good results with Viibryd/Vilazadone. Easy to come off too. Only issue was it gave me the sweet tooth of a heroin addict, but I still lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 5:27 AM

Effexor really helped me with both anxiety and depression. Like really helped. Downside was weight gain. It’s also a BITCH to get off of so please proceed with caution and care. But yeah it’s pretty effective. Cymbalta also helped. Good luck,

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 5:28 AM

Did any of you gain weight on Effexor or its relatives?

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 5:30 AM

I think it’s the one that gave me night terrors.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 5:33 AM

The biggest side effect of Effexor for me is excessive sweating. Its not pleasant but I cope.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 5:34 AM

Weight gain was a major concern for me when I was seeking depression meds (I was newly single and couldn't afford that), and I didn't gain on Effexor. I actually lost. I was also on Wellbutrin at the time, which may have affected that.

If you research the studies, it looks like Effexor is NOT one of the antidepressants associated with weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 5:35 AM

A relative was on this garbage, he told me he felt as if his head was constantly in a vise. He also had constant headaches. The Effexor wasn't even prescribed by a psychiatrist, his primary care doctor prescribed Effexor because my relative told his doc he felt "a little depressed".

None of these types of meds should be prescribed without thoroughly evaluating a patient. My relative was on this med for a month, he quit on his own, he had no withdrawal symptoms. This situation my relative went through makes me less likely to trust most doctors, well, the ones prescribing new meds. When my relative was on Effexor it was a relatively new drug.

The monetary kickbacks these doctors must get from Big Pharma must be incredible. So many of these doctors are using their patients as human guinea pigs.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 5:36 AM

I haven't. I don't think I could bring myself to take another anti-depressant fucked with my mind and body.

I thought I was the only one that got the 'brain zaps'.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 5:40 AM

R28, the patients are often complicit. "My mom started on Wellbutrin but she didn't like it so she gave me three bottles when she went on something else. So I've been on it three months and I think it's working for me. Can you write me a prescription for it?"

"I saw a commercial for happifex and the woman was sad but then she took happifex and she was able to go outside and take her dog for a walk. And I thought to myself 'I haven't taken my rescue dog for a walk since I walked her out of the shelter, but someone on Datalounge told me that adopting a dog would cure my depression so I did and now we're both depressed!"

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 5:46 AM

If the patient is complicit, [R30], it's the responsibility of the doctor to rein them in out of their fantasy world and take control. If the doctor has a fucking clue as to why they're there. Unfortunately, I've witnessed too many MDs who truly are lost in space themselves.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 6:15 AM

It stopped my suicidal thoughts. In fact, an hour after I take it I get a little high and happier. Started out on 225mg five years ago, now my situation has changed for the better and I’m on 37.5mg daily.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 6:39 AM

LOLOL @ R 13 who said "Trazadone doesn't have any Sexual side- effects." OH, it DOES, just not the kind you're thinking of. I know because I got it. Ever hear of " Priapism" folks? It's a l-o-o-ng sustained Erection, often accompanied by feelings of general horniness at the most inconvenient of times. Now I know most of you sluts around here are like, " Where do I sign up?" but trust me- this is NOT like the little blue pill. I had only been on the stuff a couple of days when I felt myself getting quite a pronounced erection, while I was at work doing expense reports of all things. Hardly erotic stuff. I felt like I was in the damn seventh grade again,and was really quite uncomfortable as I work in an open office setting and the last thing I wanted to do was draw attention to myself. Of course in the beginning I didn't realize it was the medicine causing this so I continued to take it. The truly bizarre thing was that my arousal got peaked also around my FEMALE co-workers as time went on. Listen- for as long as I can remember, I knew deep inside I have always been attracted to men, but all of the sudden I would see some hefty gal with her bosom hanging out of her dress and instantly feel an erection coming on. THAT'S when I knew something was seriously wrong. I called my shrink right away after that, and yeah - he had a good chuckle. Turns out only 5% or something of the population has that side effect and I was one of the lucky ones. Too bad because it worked like a charm to help me fall asleep. Now I take Ambien and try not to worry about the cancer risk.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 6:43 AM

Pristiq 400 mg

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 7:22 AM

Pristiq is associated with weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2020 7:27 AM

Pristiq is NOT associated with weight gain, sidEffexor is. Effexor shouldn't even be on the market. The withdraw symptoms are massive. It's like trying to come off of heroin. The drug can work but the side effects are horrendous. Enjoy the brain zaps.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2020 7:35 AM

While experts may not be certain about why antidepressants cause weight gain, they do know that switching drugs may make a difference.

Some antidepressants may be less likely to affect weight. Effexor and Serzone generally do not cause weight gain, while Wellbutrin can cause weight loss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 7:41 AM

r37, talk to an actual psychiatrist with patients on Effexor. These drugs are hardly tested.

"Weight gain or not? Some say Effexor does not cause weight gain. Take into account that the makers of Effexor may also have an impact on study results. So when your counselor tells you that Effexor does not use weight gain... take it with a large grain of salt. They may be wrong. Effexor definitely cause weight gain for some people. It may cause increased appetite.

There may not be an antidepressant without side effects so you have to weigh the risks vs. the benefit for yourself. Withdrawal form antidepressants can be difficult and often needs to be done slowly in most cases. Ask your doctor to direct you on this I gain weight on Effexor each time I take it. I may be better off without any antidepressant. This applies to be as an individual and no conclusions can be drawn, perhaps."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2020 7:43 AM

Drug companies like Eli Lilly have put drugs on the market with next to no studies. It's big business. This is why it's going to be so important to watch out who's putting the upcoming covid vaccine on the market.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2020 7:45 AM

Effexor works well for pain, but it still has very bad side effects. It should only be prescribed in extreme circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2020 7:45 AM

OMG, of course, this is DL — the antidepressant conspiracy theorists are out in full.

OP, see how Effexor works for you. If it doesn't seem to be working out great, tell your doctor and follow their advice. If you don't like that advice, find another doctor!

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2020 7:51 AM

[quote]Weight gain was a major concern for me when I was seeking depression meds (I was newly single and couldn't afford that), and I didn't gain on Effexor. I actually lost.

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2020 7:52 AM

To add to r33's giant paragraph, I take trazadone too at night to help with sleep, the last two years. And ONE time I woke up with an erection that lasted so long it was painful and I was thinking about calling the doctor. I jerked off twice to try to make it go down, and maybe an hour after the second orgasm, it finally did.

It was scary, though. I looked it up and I think not drinking enough water can increase the chance of it happening (I was a little dry that day which is rare for me).

It's the only time I've ever had that happen (experienced "priapism". I didn't take trazadone for a week after that but eventually started up again.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 9:30 AM

OP- In future, no matter what psych meds you take, I highly reccommend looking at patient reviews of the medications your doctor prescribes, either before you start it or if you are are having troubling side-effects and need validation that you are not alone. I always say, no one knows more about medications more than the the patients who actually take them. My two go-two websites for this are are the user reviews at drugs.com and another site called askapatient.com. Regarding the latter, I do think you will find more negative reviews as people are actually taking the time to post there because they have had a significantly bad experience, so take the reviews with a grain of salt; it's more to apprise yourself of the side-effect profile. Good luck to you in finding the right med that suits you.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 9:37 AM

The only things I would pay attention to, OP, are the potential side effects and how common they are, and any side effects from going off the medication.

The rest will give you nightmares and scare you unnecessarily. I am an avid Googler and made that mistake before I went on my first antidepressants - everyone's horror stories kept me from getting the help I needed for years.

The only issues I've really seen with some of the ones I've tried are 1) sexual side effects and 2) going off some of them is a bitch. Aside from those common ones, everyone can react differently.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2020 9:45 AM

I started it about a month ago to deal with anxiety. It's the first anti-anxiety drug I've tried. The first two weeks were bad - severe anxiety and depression, but since then my anxiety has significantly improved.

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2020 10:01 AM

My rheumatolgist prescribed Cymbalta for pain of RA, and my internest prescribed trazadone for sleep. They won't give me Ambien any longer. I was so hyped up that I couldn't sleep, had a creepy feeling in my scalp. I am a very light cigarette smoker - like 1/3 of a cigarette at a time. I was smoking 2 cigs in succession when on these meds. Tapered off both of them and now back to normal. They didn't help with pain, either. I am never depressed, so it seemed like these meds hyped me up, which I did not need. Neither helped with my chronic residual pain after THR and other hip surgeries plus the RA pain. Life is a bitch as one ages.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2020 10:15 AM

R44 I would urge patients to look at studies on the antidepressants and common side effects. Individual case reports are interesting but a good study looking at how a thousand people responded to the medication are statistically valid and far more important than "individual reviews".

The most important factor when choosing an antidepressant is a thorough family history. If you have a close relative that took "X" and did well on it, you are much more likely to do well on it. This is because family history is a good proxy for complex genetic issues that cause a very individual response to antidepressants. For example, the liver enzymes of the cytochrome P450 family break down all antidepressants. You inherit variations of these enzymes that affect the speed at which certain medications are metabolized.

Furthermore, than are many variations of serotonin transport proteins, and the types of proteins that you have inherited will also greatly affect antidepressant efficacy and side effect profile.

The available genetic tests for common polymorphisms has only modest effects - a large meta analysis, showed usage of the genetic test had no impact on outcome (alleviation of symptoms/avoiding side effects. Again, individual family history if available remains the best proxy for complex genetic variations.

Effexor has a short half-life (as does Paxil) and this explains why there is a pronounced withdrawal when stopping these medications (or missing a dose). It is basic pharmacokinetics that explains this phenomena, not anything inherently bad or dangerous about the medication.I recommend spending at least 2-3 months tapering down.

Finally OP, if you have been on numerous antidepressants and not become manic, you do not have bipolar I (think Crazy Kanye who is currently manic). If you have bipolar II, then it is often therapeutic to take an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer may help.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 10:20 AM

If literally no other Rx has worked, the problem is either spiritual/existential, or else you have what is known as "treatment resistant" depression. (I have both; lucky me.) You have the option of either finding meaning in your life and hipe that solves the problem, or you can do as I did, and feign ADHD for the Adderall Rx. This used to be a common practice, starting back in the pre-Freudian days with legally-prescribed cocaine, and continued until remarkably recently, when the SSRI/SNRI gospel was foisted upon us all. These don't work for many of us, and what's more, were never intended for long-term use. Of course, using a stimulant off-label for depression is not something most doctors will agree to in this day and age of Rx abuse, but so what if you have to fib a little? Just be VERY careful you don't over rely on it, be sure to take periodic mini-breaks on weekends so you don't build up a tolerance, and go with the smallest possible effective dosage. Also, psychiatric meds work best if you are receiving weekly therapy sessions with a counselor as well. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2020 11:34 AM

I’m very pro-anti-depressant and talk therapy. That being said, Effexor was given the nickname Sideffexor for a reason. There are entire web sites dedicated to trying to get off of it. It’s that painful. Again, it works but the withdrawal is serious, way more serious than with other medications. It’s not your typical med. It’s and SNRI, not a SSRI.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2020 12:55 PM

Oh mama don’t you remember how good it felt to get fucked at night?

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2020 3:36 PM

37.5 mg twice a day. If I skip or miss a dose, I don't notice it. If more than 24 hours passes without one capsule, I start to feel anxious, I feel as though I'm trembling, although I'm not. My blood pressure increases. I feel dizzy, and I get the buzzing in my head. I also get an overall feeling that my entire body is contracting, as though I'm wrapped in a heavy blanket and being squeezed.

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2020 11:46 PM

And those are the good points R52? Antidepressants should not be prescribed or taken lightly. Not a single human can tell you how they work on your brain chemistry. No one knows, except in some pretty vague ways. A good doctor or practitioner will ask you what you want to avoid and what you really need to get from them. Then THEY will do some research and give you three choices. Then YOU do your research. Based on the urgency of your problems and the potential for real benefits, you choose and start a medication. Under care. Don't go longer than two weeks without being seen or having a virtual review of side effects and how you are doing. Always start at the lowest dose, no matter what your doctor recommends.

The moron upthread who seeks to correct easily understood language about Trazodone having no negative effect on sexual function, obviously is a sheep with a bad doctor. The number one warning on Trazodone is the possibility for priapism. With the usual warning to seek medical attention if you have a painful erection that lasts more than 4 hours. The same as the "little blue pill" that he references.

No one should start any antidepressant without knowing what the major side effect of that drug can be. And no decent doctor would fail to mention the hardon when prescribing Trazodone. 5 % is a high incidence - which is exactly why it comes with that warning near the top of the list. People are idiots and doctors over prescribe antidepressants. Both true.

But 5 % is also a low number. So you see what happens. But dude did not have a painful erection that sent him to the hospital. Just unwanted erections. Like in high school. Anyone who has been through the mill with antidepressant meds would not see that as a reason to stop a medication that was otherwise working for them. There are a lot of complainers in life, who want a pill to fix their small complaints. They often dabble in antidepressants and too many doctors indulge and/or promote this. The incidence of suicide and addiction has not gone down since the advent of SSRIs. But if you need one, you know that you do. It's not a vague feeling or a temporary displeasure. You know your own thoughts. Ask for help if you need it. Anyone with a psychiatrist has in theory, a better practitioner who understands your mood issues better over time. But more modern therapists are not in favor of prescribing these meds without patient demand and a prolonged period of depressed mood. Because the meds are fucked. Some much worse than others.

If you're older, a little extra blood flow ain't a bad thing. Trazodone is not a miracle drug, but is very popular again for the problems it DOESN'T cause. And its benefits for appropriate conditions.

Many antidepressants that eradicate your suicidal thoughts and make you want to dance are very hard on the the heart, blood pressure, glaucoma, run a movie behind your closed eyes every night when you are meant to be sleeping and present terrible discontinuation problems.

Read the beginning of my post again. Tell your doctor how severe your depression is and how it presents in your life. Tell him what is a deal breaker for you in side effects AND what you hope medication can help you achieve. Get a few options. Research them. Not on user forums. Pick one and start at the lowest or geriatric dose. If you are prescribed more because of insurance, break it in two or ask for a compounding pharmacy.

Avoid them if you can.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2020 12:19 AM

OP have you ever tried an anti-anxiety med rather than anti-depressant? I wonder if you might have better luck with .5 mg of Lorazepam?

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2020 1:16 AM

Yes it made my mouth unbearably dry and gave me so much nausea I had to stop taking it. It was hell.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2020 2:21 AM

Only one that was effective for me that you listed in your original post was Paxil.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2020 3:07 AM

The only thing worse than stopping Effexor is stoping Lorazepam, r54. Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine. Benzos are meant for very short term use because they are extremely addictive and weening off too quickly can cause death. I've heard that weening off a benzo is as difficult as quitting heroin.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2020 4:15 AM

Have you tried Pregabalin OP? No, it's not technically, an antidepressant, but it works brilliantly, for me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2020 7:02 PM

Oh god you need Pristiq!

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2020 9:07 PM

[quote]Effexor is a bitch to stop.

I disagree. I stopped it cold turkey and had no side effects. Unfortunately, my anxiety returned a few years later and I asked to be put back on it. It's helping again.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2020 9:19 PM

OP, I haven't read the entire thread, so my apology if this has been mentioned already or if it's completely off topic: I was diagnosed with depression 15 years ago and received antidepressants, the ones you list. At some point someone smart thought I was mis-diagnosed. This psychiatrist diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder, and gave me anti-anxiety meds. The work like a charm, and I got my life back. Maybe you don't suffer from depression? Or maybe your depression is just a symptom for a different root cause? Just my two scents.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2020 9:29 PM

The best I've ever felt since I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression was when I was taking only Klonopin. So it might be worth it to give it a try. The only thing is that, of course, it's not a long-term thing. I stopped taking it a few weeks ago and I feel terrible again. LOL

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2020 9:48 PM

[quote] Just my two scents.

Orange and lavender?

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2020 9:48 PM

Benzos are pretty hard to convince anyone to prescribe now. They aren't dangerous at all - they've just decided they are. Because they sometimes cause rebound anxiety and might contribute to memory problems later in life. It's because they are so habit forming that they've decided to crack down on prescribing them now.

Yet the fact remains, that 1 mg of Lorazepam at bedtime and 0.5 mg of Clonazepam daily can help many people to cope much better with life, fall asleep, and relieve moderate levels of anxiety. That's all a lot of people really need to feel better. These drugs are nowhere near as toxic or systemically problematic as antidepressants. Antidepressants can cause many problems aside from "side effects." Serious heart arrhythmias are common and for those who develop suicidal impulses - they come on unexpected and dangerously quick. Some raise eye and blood pressure and many make it next to impossible to have an orgasm. Not one that you'll feel anyway. Antidepressants are terribly overproduced, hyped, pushed and over prescribed. Of course they are necessary for some people. Just not most of the people who take them. A good practitioner will use them as a temporary or last resort.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2020 10:02 PM

I have tried almost every antidepressant out there. Effexor worked great for a couple of years and then stopped working, so my doc switched me to Zoloft(Sertraline) which has worked fine. I also take Trazodone for sleep, but if I take it every night it doesn't work, so I have to alternate it with different sleeping pills. I have gained a ton of weight in the past several years, which I would like to blame on the antidepressants, but I think overeating bad things, and lots of midnight snacks might have had something to do with it.

There is a great website called askapatient.com where people post their reactions/results with all medications. It is quite informative, to read about what others have experienced before taking them yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2020 12:04 AM

If your pusher dies or retires R65, you will end up in a psychiatric ward. Trazodone is what they give out a bedtime. 10:00 pm. A small comfort of home. No doors on the bathroom stalls though.

Seriously, think about it. Find some good illegal drugs that you can purchase or go back to drinking. You're cleary an addict. But to be on so many prescriptions for depression, anxiety and sleep will find you screaming and pulling your muscles out when your "practitioner" moves on. I'm not kidding. No one will take on that kind of mess outside a hospital. And they won't negotiate with you. Find a street supplier STAT.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2020 12:15 AM

Pristiq extended release

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2020 12:39 AM

Pristiq extended release

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2020 12:39 AM

[quote] Pristiq

The name sounds like a douche. "I switched from Summer's Eve to Pristiq."

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2020 12:46 AM

R69 that is the crux of your problem

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2020 1:31 AM

Pristiq and Effexor are essentially the same drug. Both are SNRIs. But Pristiq is about $400 a month and Effexor is covered by most plans. Both are racy, sweaty, abdominal bleeding, narrow angle glaucoma risks drugs that can make it hard to sleep. Good for anxiety and no weight gain. For some this works. But there's nothing chemically unique about Pristiq.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2020 1:42 AM

I have severe anxiety but also severe depression which leaves me with pretty much no drive to do anything, is there a combo that might help with those issues?

by Anonymousreply 72April 2, 2021 7:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!