Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NBA will convert all arenas into 2020 election voting centers

Social justice coalition being formed; team governors working to convert all arenas into location for 2020 general election; advertisement spots to promote civic engagement and awareness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 29, 2020 4:59 PM

AWESOME.

Every American citizen has the right to vote and should. We need to get to a point where it's made a national holiday.

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2020 6:51 PM

The Houston Rockets started the ball rolling by announcing Toyota Center would be open as a voting site.

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2020 7:33 PM

LOL! Dump is going to have a major meltdown over this. He will get whiplash reversing his position on mail-in ballots now. Urban voters can go to a huge sports arena to vote observing COVID precautions. Cool.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2020 8:35 PM

The Atlanta Hawks did it first. And it was a great success

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2020 8:38 PM

Now this is the type of change we need! Transformation of the entire voting process. Potential for amazing cultural upheaval.

by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2020 8:46 PM

A much needed proactive plan. Good for them. Hopefully universities and other large venues will hop on this idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2020 8:48 PM

MLB St. Louis Cardinals is opening Busch Stadium for voting.

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2020 8:50 PM

Wow. That's bloody fantastic news!

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2020 8:52 PM

The NBA doesn't own any arenas -- why would they be involved in this?

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2020 9:25 PM

R9 Try reading the article.

Is this something venues can do - request to be voting sites? I've read about Republicans shutting them down - if a site can make a request to be a site, why aren't Democrats forming groups to do this to cancel out the ones shut down?

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2020 9:29 PM

This has great potential.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2020 9:36 PM

The Indianapolis Colts suspended practice yesterday to hold a team meeting. At the meeting all the players and staff registered to vote. And the stadium will be a polling place. They actually did it before anyone. I have a feeling all the different sports are gonna pick up this effort and it may help get the black vote out. The orange Dump is gonna be spitting nails as he himself has been attacking these players for tears and I hope that blows up in his face with this.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2020 9:37 PM

Years*

by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2020 9:38 PM

I can see Trump and red state governors doing whatever they can to stop this

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2020 9:38 PM

[quote] The NBA doesn't own any arenas -- why would they be involved in this?

R9 you are officially the first turd to land in the punch bowl...congratulations.

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2020 9:46 PM

The midweek voting is weird to me. I live in Australia and our population is only 22 million but voting is always on a Saturday in schools, church halls and community centres and it’s easy peasy to prevote at a post office or through the mail.

by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2020 9:53 PM

Damn, this week the NBA (meaning, the players, really) are showing true leadership.

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2020 9:57 PM

This is just so encouraging, I’m being sincere. All that matters is that we win and TURN OUT. Remember that — you’ve got your own circles of influence, make sure you keep telling people, “I don’t care how you vote, just vote.”. Bigger turnouts always favor Dems....

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2020 10:03 PM

I like this but my question is who's handling the ballots? I don't want mine of any other Dem ballots "gone missing." Just saying. What Company/organization or whatever is dealing with the votes? WHO is the hen?

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2020 12:00 AM

I imagine Republican governors will categorically deny any requests to expand voting venues. Probably citing "security" reasons or some other bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote] I like this but my question is who's handling the ballots? I don't want mine of any other Dem ballots "gone missing." Just saying. What Company/organization or whatever is dealing with the votes? WHO is the hen?

[quote] I imagine Republican governors will categorically deny any requests to expand voting venues. Probably citing "security" reasons or some other bullshit.

The trolls are already trying to create doubt. Don't fall for it. Anyone who truly finds this as good news will recognize the success of a first step. That terrifies the internet trolls and republicans.

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2020 12:13 AM

It's a valid question you fucking bi polar mental case at r21.

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2020 12:21 AM

r21 the Katy Perry thread is calling, hon.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2020 12:23 AM

Let's not forget why mail-in voting is being favored in the first place: Putin hacking the in-person voting results potentially switching Biden votes to Kanye West.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2020 12:25 AM

Lord this makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2020 12:26 AM

If the owners are doing this as a show of support and action for their players you can bet that will include sparing no expense to ensure everything can be done as orderly as possible. For multi billionaires spending this is support of their product would be a drop in a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2020 12:26 AM

Oh r24, r21 DOESN'T want anyone to ask questions because that would be foolish.

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2020 12:27 AM

AWESOME IDEA! These guys gave the pull to see it get done. Way to go, sports people! You may just save the United States.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2020 12:28 AM

Do you think Trump feels the pain when sports dis him? I think so. His and Melania's faces when they were booed at some stadium were masks of embarrassment and horror.

by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2020 12:34 AM

This is wonderful. This is what happens when the people get together and fight against tyranny. This is so much more constructive now than marching and demonstrations that they're using against us. Get people in poor black neighborhoods registered to vote and assist them on where to vote or drop it off.

I bet Trump is going to file a lawsuit. One....two....three....

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote] Let's not forget why mail-in voting is being favored in the first place: Putin hacking the in-person voting

They could install ballot boxes at the arena instead of using voting machines. I dropped my mail-in ballot the day of the election into a ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2020 12:40 AM

Bingo, r31!

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote] Get people in poor black neighborhoods registered to vote and assist them on where to vote or drop it off.

How stealth, R30. Troll.

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2020 12:42 AM

[Bold] THANKS VLAD, R21 / R33 !!!!

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2020 12:45 AM

Another great thing is players' families and friends, their family and friends and so forth and so forth will all have a place to go together. And encourage others in their neighborhoods. Especially if they allowed players to volunteer someway. Just extra incentive to get people out. We should all be screaming and encouraging this to go forward.

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2020 12:47 AM

Putin and Trump don’t want early voting because

1. They’ve been removing registered voters from the rolls. If people apply for an absentee ballot and get turned down, there’s more time to fix the “problem”; and,

2. Trump’s current numbers suck (Vlad can only make up so much)

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote] I can see Trump and red state governors doing whatever they can to stop this

I can see Trump PRESSURING red state governors to do whatever they can to stop this...to no avail. No red state governor wants to be on the wrong side of a major sports franchise, it is a huge financial prize that the entire state covets. The red state governors are going to push back on Trump.

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote]At the meeting all the players and staff registered to vote.

Just saw a post on the front page of Reddit (linked) that only 20% of NBA players are registered to vote. What the actual fuck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2020 1:41 AM

This was rolling on the sports news this morning. Doc Rivers called it and that's how NBA started taking action. They saw the Colts all registered the day before. Now NBA, WNBA, MLB and NFL all attempting the same efforts. Only NBA has committed every team and arena. Plenty more sure to come.

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2020 1:46 AM

Rivers called it out* rather

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2020 1:48 AM

I just searched Wiki and looked up states that have Democratic governors as well as NBA arenas. The NBA Wiki page I found does say that their list includes current and former arenas, so I don't know which, if any, listed are closed. Nevertheless, look at these states. It's VERY encouraging. Look at the number of swing states with Democratic governors and NBA arenas. These governors need to do everything they can to help the NBA out with this.

Wisconsin

Michigan

Pennsylvania

North Carolina

Minnesota

Louisiana

New York

California

Oregon

Illinois

Colorado

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote]I live in Australia and our population is only 22 million

Isn't that sweet So, you really have no experience in the matter, and therefore no valuable input?

Thankyousomuchbyebye

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2020 2:58 AM

R42 Said like a true Republican. Because America can't learn from other countries.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2020 3:04 AM

love it.

fuck you trump

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2020 3:14 AM

LeBron got the Dodgers to open Dodger Stadium as a voting center.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2020 4:39 AM

What does LeBron have to do with the Dodgers?

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2020 4:42 AM

[quote]Every American citizen has the right to vote and should.

Wrong! Voting is a privilege in the US, not a right. If you are a jailed felon, you lose your privilege to vote until after serving your sentence.

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2020 4:44 AM

Who will handle the ballots?

Poll workers, as always.

You would check in like normal, receive your ballot, go to booth and vote.

Then drop your ballot in the box.

Boxes will be taken after the polls close to the Board Of Elections in each county as NORMAL to be counted.

Which is why we NEED poll workers! Check your county board of Elections to volunteer to be a poll worker!

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2020 4:59 AM

r47 = Jared Kushner.

STFU Jared!

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2020 5:43 AM

[quote]...only 20% of NBA players are registered to vote. What the actual fuck?

Yup. You know who else has admitted to never having voted? Colin Kaepernick. In 2016 he said at the time that "it didn't matter to him who won". A real thinker, huh?

That's ignorant and embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2020 5:47 AM

If Kaepernick didn't register or both to vote, what was all the knee-bending for? If people want to reform the police, it starts by getting rid of the POS at the top.

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2020 6:17 AM

Too bad R50 and R51, your trolling is useless. You'll change no minds here. Now we.just make fun of you. Who does this sound like? Not registered to vote blah blah blah...knee bending blah blah blah...my ballot will get stolen blah blah blah...arena polls wont work blah blah blah...

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2020 6:29 AM

Put 1000 voting booths in there. Have the team's working the polls. And, set up a free bus route circuit throughout the day to all the neighborhoods around the city and surrounding areas.

The states with Repug Secretaries of State will end up with three broken machines for 6 million voters. Just watch.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2020 6:57 AM

*team's stars working the polls

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2020 8:33 AM

I love the NBA!

Did you guys know they donated $500,000 to Yale to develop the new rapid saliva COVID tests that are coming out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2020 8:37 AM

This is good new I love to hear.

by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2020 9:23 AM

The China-controlled NBA is setting up voting centers. Yeah, no election rigging will come from this...

by Anonymousreply 57August 29, 2020 12:01 PM

R57 - there were so few typographical errors in that message, Mr. President. Well done! You may have an extra Diet Coke with your Captain Crunch this morning!

by Anonymousreply 58August 29, 2020 12:58 PM

"What does LeBron have to do with the Dodgers?"

Read for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2020 1:02 PM

they have cheated and stole for decades. 2000 is obvious now.

2001 the WORST terrorist attack on American soil under their watch. Followed by 2 wars and multiple economic crises.

2008 economic crash? on their watch.

by Anonymousreply 60August 29, 2020 1:04 PM

[quote] they have cheated and stole for decades. 2000 is obvious now.

[quote] 2001 the WORST terrorist attack on American soil under their watch. Followed by 2 wars and multiple economic crises.

[quote] 2008 economic crash? on their watch.

Who? The Dodgers? Damn them.

by Anonymousreply 61August 29, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote]Said like a true Republican. Because America can't learn from other countries.

Sweets, this is DataLounge, not the fucking United Nations.

Without pulling that per capita shit into the equation, how can an island country of 22 million have any sage advice for a land mass containing three different Americas with a population of 1 billion? Pop on Kath and Kim or Neighbors for a belly laugh? A nice visit to Alice Springs for a drag show?

BTW, disabled Democrat voting gay since 1980. With parents who visited AU twice in the golden years and dragged back Mel and Val from Wagga-Wagga. Both lovely people.

So, fuck you R43.

by Anonymousreply 62August 29, 2020 6:03 PM

^their golden years.

by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2020 6:03 PM

r52 thinks only white people need to vote, but is too brain-dead to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 64August 29, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]BTW, disabled Democrat voting gay since 1980

Then how embarrassing for you that you sound like a typical Republican.

by Anonymousreply 65August 29, 2020 6:52 PM

The GOP have been actively discouraging African Americans from voting for years. They've been closing urban polling stations by the hundreds in numerous states. I hope that opening arenas as voting centers will correct some of these problems and alleviate the long lines.

by Anonymousreply 66August 29, 2020 7:05 PM

hahahaha! bitch boy Dump is going to HATE this. All the NBA team owners are billionaire capitalists and he has no leg to stand on if they decide to donate their arenas to whatever way they see fit. He wants to be part of that world so badly, but they ALL. HATE. HIM.

I love the NBA and the WNBA. They've really stepped up and pushing the narrative that this election decides the fate of the US and put their money where their mouth is. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 67August 29, 2020 7:19 PM

How are they planning on getting actually ballots and voting machines, etc., to the stadiums in the states with Repug Secretaries of State or Governors? They better start getting things lined up now because they'll end up with a bunch of voters waiting to vote and nothing to vote on if those fuckers have anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 68August 29, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote] They better start getting things lined up now because they'll end up with a bunch of voters waiting to vote and nothing to vote on if those fuckers have anything to do with it.

I'm sure no one has thought of that. Good thing you posted. Your attempt to create doubt fails again.

by Anonymousreply 69August 29, 2020 7:26 PM

Fuck you, R69. Why don't you look at my other posts, you stupid piece of shit?

by Anonymousreply 70August 29, 2020 7:31 PM

Not to repeat myself, but why hasn't this happened before? If a venue can just declare themselves a polling place, why hasn't it happened before to make up for the closures? Did someone only just realise they could just say they wanted to be a polling place? Or does this require local governments to agree - in which case it isn't going to happen in red states, is it?

by Anonymousreply 71August 29, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote] Did someone only just realise they could just say they wanted to be a polling place? Or does this require local governments to agree - in which case it isn't going to happen in red states, is it?

Your post creates laughter R71, not fear. You're a troll.

by Anonymousreply 72August 29, 2020 9:05 PM

Biden will win 100% of the popular vote and electoral vote. Anything less constitutes fraud.

Hopefully they will have armed security guards to make sure you vote the correct way.

by Anonymousreply 73August 29, 2020 9:14 PM

R72 The only one trolling here is you. I'm not trying to create fear, I'm asking reasonable questions - if this can be done, why has it not been done before? Not necessarily with NBA arenas, but with anywhere that could've been used to make up for the closure of other polling places?

by Anonymousreply 74August 29, 2020 9:21 PM

You have to find locations that are willing to make their spaces available for the many hours voting required.

For example, my polling place is a local church.

by Anonymousreply 75August 29, 2020 10:03 PM

Don't people want to vote close to where they live? I would suspect very few people live close to NBA arenas.

It would seem more effective if they convince minorities to volunteer as poll workers as many older people who normally work the polls may not be so interested in exposing themselves to thousands of voters. Maybe some NBA stars could work as poll workers, it would excite people to go vote, meet an NBA star at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 76August 29, 2020 10:03 PM

If they fill them with Ivanka's voting machines from China, it could be a mistake. Hopefully, every machine is tested and then re-tested.

by Anonymousreply 77August 29, 2020 10:13 PM

r74, any time you have space that is available for rent, you don’t give it away. Imagine the cost of opening the doors of an arena for just a single day — electric, water, security, staff, janitorial, etc. Therefore, you aren’t going to see private space going to public use — in normal times.

by Anonymousreply 78August 29, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote] It would seem more effective if they convince minorities to volunteer as poll workers

Why minorities, R76? Why not just volunteers? It's odd you point to minorities. I'm sure it was an unintentional oversight on your part.

by Anonymousreply 79August 29, 2020 10:46 PM

R76, these stadiums are close to where a lot of people live. They are in the middle of cities in many instances. They also have a lot of transportation lines aimed at them.

I think the reason this hasn't been done before has more to do with the stadiums not being in use right now because of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 80August 29, 2020 11:16 PM

Exactly r80. We are just starting to think outside in box in this new COVID era.

by Anonymousreply 81August 29, 2020 11:31 PM

Want to help bring change? Use your talents, effort, and/or money through organized channels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 30, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] Want to help bring change? Use your talents, effort, and/or money through organized channels.

No thanks. Any organization that uses Left as an identifier might be questionable. Legit organizations who utilize Democrat as the identifier would be better to consider.

Any org should be vetted.

by Anonymousreply 83August 30, 2020 12:22 AM

Try this, R83. Donate. Volunteer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 30, 2020 12:24 AM

R84, why not just Joe Biden com. If you scroll down theres a volunteer section.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 30, 2020 12:34 AM

R74, it's already happened in a red state. The pilot was in the Georgia primary. Georgia's governor and SOS are Republicans. But of course, you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 86August 30, 2020 12:40 AM

I like that NBA players (I think I read that LeBron James was investing big $$ in a get out the voter effort) are getting involved, which motivates young people to vote. Yes, I know I sound like the old person that I am, but if young people VOTED that would turn the tide in a way that the repigs & Russia could not counteract

by Anonymousreply 87August 30, 2020 12:47 AM

R86 Christ, the fucking paranoia people like you have. I'm just asking some reasonable questions and you act like I'm part of some conspiracy. I'm so sorry that someone from Britain wasn't aware of the minutiae of the Georgia primary. A reasonable person would've just linked to an article about it instead of your paranoid ramblings.

R75/R78 Thanks for your answers. And I get the 'won't do it for free' thing, but I would've thought some kind of group could've been set up to pay for that, hell even a GoFundMe. I've long seen people talk about Republicans shutting down polling places to disenfranchise black voters, and it just seems ridiculous that the solution all along was just raising money to rent venues privately for it and no-one thought of it until this year.

by Anonymousreply 88August 30, 2020 12:48 AM

Thanks R85. That's a much better link.

by Anonymousreply 89August 30, 2020 2:28 AM

r88, I don’t disagree with anything you said. But if you think about it, isn’t this how all social change arrives at the front door? When something is on your front door stoop, you can no longer ignore it. Bold legislation, dynamic social policy, partnership between public and private groups — none of these things occur without there *first* being the will. First, the common citizen has to identify and appreciate the impact of a problem, they need to not be poisoned by false propaganda, and they need leadership to cast vision for how government (or other) could work FOR us, not against us. You are right, this could have been done 30 years ago, but 30 years ago the public had exactly zero education or knowledge on voter suppression as compared to today. We are evolving — in spite of the Orange SOB.

by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2020 4:21 AM

R90 I suspect much of it is based around whether you're a natural optimist or pessimist - and I tend towards the latter. But just to be clear, I wasn't talking about doing this thirty years ago. I meant more why haven't we seen this in the past couple of years, or even just earlier this year. I've seen repeated angst over GOP closing polling places and it's just surprising there's such an easy fix and yet no-one was pushing it until now. Maybe they deliberately waited so there's no time for the GOP to find a way around it?

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2020 4:49 AM

[quote] The midweek voting is weird to me. I live in Australia and our population is only 22 million but voting is always on a Saturday in schools, church halls and community centres and it’s easy peasy to prevote at a post office or through the mail.

The powers that be here want to restrict people of modest means from voting. Sad but true. Proposals like what you say happens in Australia have come up here often but it’s a little too much democracy for the properties elites.

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2020 5:22 AM

^^ propertied

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2020 5:23 AM

[quote]Then how embarrassing for you that you sound like a typical Republican.

Oh. Ouch. You got me. I guess nothing left to do but unsubscribe and leave as I've been permanently put in my place by such witty and biting commentary.

by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2020 5:39 AM

My company in California is giving everyone a paid day to go vote.

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2020 5:40 AM

[quote] I meant more why haven't we seen this in the past couple of years, or even just earlier this year. I've seen repeated angst over GOP closing polling places and it's just surprising there's such an easy fix

I suppose the inflection point was the George Floyd death, Covid and a POTUS that blatantly disregards voting rights and by destroying the Post Office. Voting is crucial to get that Orange POS out of power.

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2020 6:07 AM

Next, how could we get Major League Soccer involved in getting out the vote? In Texas, for decades now, Democrats have lamented their inability to get out the vote among Mexican-American voters. If MLS stars or MLB stars pushed voting, it might have some effect. I'm Anglo, so I'm just guessing at this. But, damn, Texas really might turn blue if we could increase turnout among Mexican-Americans.

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2020 7:53 AM

Here's a list of NBA arenas that will be used as voting sites for the 2020 elections as of 9/8. Pass it on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2020 5:35 PM

There's a story in business insider that says, there's all kinds of new voting places popping up all over the country for this election cycle this year.

This is a really good thing, I gives me hope.

by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2020 10:23 PM

How great is this? You're going down Donald.

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2020 10:27 PM

Scrolling through that articles and seeing the stadiums was great. Fuck Trump.

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2020 10:58 PM

Someone actually using their resources to change the world, instead of only bitching about it. How refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2020 10:58 PM

Don't forget to check availability for voting if you are close to an arena.

by Anonymousreply 103October 28, 2020 4:37 AM

Please vote. You don't have to be stuck in a field four miles from your home in below freezing temps.

by Anonymousreply 104October 28, 2020 12:13 PM

^^four miles from your car

by Anonymousreply 105October 28, 2020 12:25 PM

This is getting surprisingly little traction. Very few people seem to know about this.

by Anonymousreply 106October 29, 2020 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!