Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it's time we revisit 'Blade Runner' (1982) and its sequel 'Blade Runner 2049' (2017)

I always hated the theatrical version to The Blade Runner, and still do to this day. What that means is I always hated The Blade Runner, that is until I saw The Final Cut in 2017.

When 2049 came out, Regal did a Double Feature, so I decided to do that instead of just the new one, and boy did I love it. The film works so much better without that dreadful VoiceOver work (which also dates the film a lot), the updated coloring to scenes as well as visuals, and the fully restored scenes and better ending (yes, I hated the ending too).

The movie was quite beautiful looking (especially for a film made in 1982). I actually liked Sean Young in this movie, and loved the scene where Deckard meets Rachael. Such an iconic scene. I loved the way she looked in this, very youthful and pretty. Its a shame her career fell apart fast.

I remember Darryl Hannah being a big selling point for the promotion of this film, and her role was not even big, and she barely spoke. I did like the fight scene with her though, doing all those flips.

The Final Cut is actually really good, authentic with incredible ambience and created a fantastic atmosphere.

Then comes 2049..

Another film that created a beautiful world to look at, incredibly atmospheric and ambient, and is a fantastic film overall, but the characters felt more empty, and I did not like Jared Leto in this at all. You could see him acting, and the scenes with him took me out of the movie a bit vs the rest. The film just looks so beautiful, and should have won Oscars for its visual effects.

My favorite character in the movie was played by Ana de Armas. She was so likable and empathetic in this, and the perfect love interest (even if just a Hologram) for Gosling. Great film, deserved more love and praise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 11:44 PM

The issue with 2049 is it barely had anything happening. The movie was a lot of traveling and talking. That was almost the whole movie. That is why the public didn’t connect with it much.

The original had a lot of everything and was great. The Directors Cut and Final Cut are major improvements

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2020 9:47 PM

Ryan Gosling's ghetto accent--where the fuck is he from?--is kind of hard to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2020 1:33 AM

Ryan is born and raised in Canada. This is why Josh Brolin doesn’t like him and shaded Gosling many times while promoting Gangster Squad. He said Gosling is a poser, it’s all fake. He is from Canada but speaks with a Brooklyn accent.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2020 1:37 AM

Good movies. Ford was gorgeous in the first

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2020 8:41 PM

Hannah's role would have been more iconic with Debbie Harry.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2020 8:46 PM

was she up for it r5?

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2020 8:58 PM

Darryl Hannah >>>

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2020 9:00 PM

[Quote] was she up for it [R5]?

Apparently, but her record label wouldn't give her the time off to shoot it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2020 9:01 PM

The movies are a goof atmospheric hang. But narrative momentum is missing in both.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2020 9:11 PM

Pris was scary but mesmerizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2020 9:18 PM

Pris was scary. But badass. I did love Darryl Hannah here.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2020 9:21 PM

Hannah and Young were born to play androids.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2020 10:19 PM

Love

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2020 10:20 PM

Joanna Cassidy was also good.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2020 10:21 PM

The original is good, not great. Incredible visuals and mediocre everything else.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2020 10:24 PM

No mention of Rutger Hauer yet? He gives by far the best performance out of anyone in either film. Incredible charisma and presence. And he looks great.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2020 10:30 PM

The theatrical release was SHIT

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2020 10:45 PM

I've seen 2049 three times now. First time in the cinema in IMAX, despite some visually amazing bits like the orangey desert beehive scene, I didn't quite get it, found it a bit boring. I'd rewatched the first film beforehand and I think I was expecting it to be more like that. The second time I watched it on TV at home and appreciated the story a lot. The third time it grew on me even more and now I think it's probably the best big budget sci fi film in the last decade or so.

But Gosling just isn't in Harrison Ford's league and there's no one who can hold a candle to Rutger Hauer.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2020 10:45 PM

Harrison's voiceover in the theatrical version sounds unfortunately like Steve Martin in Dead Man Don't Wear Plaid.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2020 10:47 PM

R19 isn’t that because he didn’t even wanna do it? So he didn’t even try and just said the lines?

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2020 10:48 PM

R12 Because they're both oddballs in real life?

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2020 10:48 PM

Always loved BL, from the first time caught it from the middle on tv. Rutger Hauer. Can I tell you I saw him, in about 90, outside the Music Hall in Beverly Hills and he looked great. I thought Sean Young (almost called her Rachel Ward) was so gorgeous in that first scene. You could believe she'd been created by a master craftsman.

Now we get this cgi Marvel dreck.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 3:11 AM

I mean BR, as in Blade Runner. Dyslexia!

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 3:12 AM

I love both films. Stunning visually. Probably the two best looking films.

Love the Vangelis score in the first film.

Ford was excellent in 2049 and deserved a Best Supporting Oscar nomination. The only thing about 2049 I didn't like was Jared Leto. Loved the character of Luv. Striking look.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 3:20 AM

I for the life of me, I can't stay awake during this movie. I was a theater manager and played it and even on my day off my friends and I went to another theater to see it and out I went. When it was re-issued in digital at NY's Ziegfeld, off we went and out I went. I have tried five times. Luckily I never paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 3:21 AM

I wish I'd liked the 2049 better. Not in the mood, maybe. I wish they'd brought back Sean Young.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 3:22 AM

Blade Runner is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 3:22 AM

I just watched this again on a flight last week. I was curious about the Darryl Hannah character Pris, so I Googled it. I was surprised to learn that Pris was actually a human who, after a psychotic break, decided she was a replicant and developed their characteristics. Wouldn't the cops or the Tyrell corp or whatever have been able to tell she was human? Why would she even be in their database as a replicant if they had no record of creating her? I know I'm nit-picking, but shit like that drives me nuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 3:59 PM

I love the original. The sequel was okay. I might like it better if I watched again. I feel guilty not seeing it in the theater but it was almost 3 hours long, or 3.5 hours with previews. I'd they're going to have long movies like that, they need intermissions.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 4:12 PM

It took me awhile to warm up to the sequel even though it's visually stunning too.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 4:57 PM

Based on this thread, I'm going to watch 2049 again.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 5:49 PM

r28, the information you read about the Pris character was from a novel written by somebody named Jeter. It has nothing to do with the original novel or with the movie Blade Runner.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 10:11 PM

Screwing over the narration is a bad thing for an actor to do because it reflects on them. I personally like the original version as well as the director's cut.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 11:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!