Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Americans are shelling out $30,000 on these pop-up backyard home offices during the pandemic

As the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 continues to accelerate the shift towards working from home, one new amenity is proving to be the new “must have” for any home.

It’s no longer the master bathroom and no longer the kitchen, instead 2020 has made the home office and all the privacy and quiet that comes with it the new hot item being spotlighted by new real estate listings.

But what if you’re stuck in a crowded house with nowhere left to take your Zoom calls? Turns out an increasing number of Americans have recently been turning to purchasing prefabricated, stand-alone office options.

For Boulder, Colorado-based Studio Shed, which has been building small offices and bedrooms that cost an average of $20,000 to $30,000 in backyards since 2008, business has been exploding. Studio Shed co-founder Mike Koenig tells Yahoo Finance that the shift to work from home during the pandemic has propelled sales to increase 14-fold over what his company saw last year.

“Recently, we have seen a massive surge in the 80- to 120-square feet option, which is a perfect office size or home gym or kid’s study area,” Koenig said. “We were already seeing some very good growth having started in 2008 just seeing these shifts in the way people work and wanting to spend more time at home and maybe not commute, but starting in March it’s just been growing significantly.”

While most of the demand for Studio Shed’s home offices have traditionally come from Western U.S. states, Koenig says the East Coast has been experiencing a spike in demand as more people work from home. In many areas where permits aren’t required for add-on dwellings below 200 square feet, the pop-up office has become an attractive solution to reduce a cramped home feeling as homes double as workspaces.

“As soon as March and April hit we definitely saw that Eastern part of the country grow, that market is up a couple hundred percent over last year,” he said.

For the month of August, a traditionally slow month for sales, Koenig says business is pacing to top last year’s mark by a factor of 14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2020 3:37 PM

love it!

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2020 10:56 PM

It's a cute idea but the reality is that the sound of neighbor's barking dogs would be too annoying. Unless of course it's soundproof.

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2020 11:01 PM

I certainly hope Muriel didn't extravagantly use our hard-earned DL membership dues to purchase this deluxe home workspace to lounge about in on our time and dime.

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2020 11:01 PM

You could buy a fairly nice house in Ypsilanti for that.

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2020 11:02 PM

I wish I had $1.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2020 11:03 PM

100% of the teenage sons of people who have these backyard offices have masturbated in them. Frequently.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2020 11:04 PM

Thank you for your contribution to this thread, R6.

It will be duly noted.

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2020 11:06 PM

I thought about it. But...no insulation, no power, no plumbing (unless you want to spend a shit-ton more), and you've just given yourself a major headache. Because it's the neat new attractive nuisance drawing neighbors, their kids, and burglars to your back yard.

Plus, just like the kiddie playhouses, it'll only be used for a few years, then will sit empty/be used for storage, while it gradually crumbles and decays.

So I decided I can live without it. Or go super cheap and just put a desk inside my storage shed.

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote] 100% of the teenage sons of people who have these backyard offices have masturbated in them. Frequently.

That comment is worthless without pictures, R6.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2020 12:41 AM

The ones they sell in the UK are usually well insulated, have electricity and plumbing. They've been popular for years here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2020 12:53 AM

I wish I could afford one.

It would be so cool to sit outside in the middle of Winter, surrounded by snow, but warm and cozy in your little outdoor office.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2020 5:36 AM

OP shilling again.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2020 5:38 AM

What is the difference between this and a casita?

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2020 5:57 AM

Cassata

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2020 6:03 AM

If you have the money and the space, it sounds like a good idea. I hate working in my living space.

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2020 6:25 AM

They sound great as long as they have electricity and heat and AC. Without those features, they'd be useless for most of the year in most of the country. You might as well put up a tent and work in that.

Plumbing would be nice, too, but I can imagine that would add substantially to the cost.

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2020 8:50 AM

The one I posted from the UK at R10 has AC, you can see it in the corner of this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2020 12:43 PM

Jesus, I’d live in that British one, just add a microwave and a mini fridge and I’d be all set.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2020 12:55 PM

Tuff Shed $3200 installed in my area. does the same thing as the $30,000 one. I couldn't post the FB page with it decorated.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2020 1:02 PM

R18 They are only popular here in the UK because the houses are so small and expensive, Even at £30,000 it's a cheap way to add extra work/living space.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2020 1:03 PM

What a dumb idea.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2020 1:14 PM

The one at R17 doesn't look nice. It looks like a converted shipping container and lacks the windows and generally open look that the OP's has.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2020 3:28 PM

R22 It's the same one from R10. It has windows, here is another angle from inside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2020 3:32 PM

Some guy somewhere knows someone who did something. Voila! A trend! Never mind that the thing costs $20,000. This is the kind of "trend" article you see in the New York Times. Shame on you, Yahoo! You are better than that.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2020 3:36 PM

Who wants to sit outside in a box? This is all I need for executive time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2020 3:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!