Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which is the most gay-friendly country in Europe?

I’d say maybe Spain?

Is Spain the most gay-friendly country in the world?

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Holland

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2020 9:40 AM

Denmark

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2020 9:41 AM

Spain

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2020 9:42 AM

Luxembourg.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2020 9:49 AM

Norway. Most tolerant social laws, least likely to get publicly bashed.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2020 9:50 AM

You know there are entire websites dedicated to this? And its Malta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2020 9:58 AM

Malta? Hahahahaha.

Spain and Netherlands

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2020 10:00 AM

Malta is not

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2020 10:03 AM

Malta seems a strange choice. It shows up as #1 in some travel lists of gay-friendly countries TO VISIT, in part because it was the first European country to outlaw conversion therapy in 2017, but , now somewhat stale newsworthiness aside, Malta gets a lot of attention for homophobia.

Here's a list from Expatica showing a Europe-heavy list of top countries for gays and lesbians TO LIVE:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2020 10:04 AM

Wikipedia has a table showing the ratings of countries by their gay and lesbian TRAVEL index from Spartacus Gay Guide (who knew they still exist?). Ratings are in bands by score: Portugal and Sweden in the very top tier with a ranking of #1; ten more European countries in the second with a ranking of #4; the U.S. in the 14th tier with a ranking of #101; etc.

None of these scoring systems provide more than a general picture of legislation in place to protects gays and lesbians, or some other tick the box measure. The difference between Spain and Sweden & Portugal is that the latter two each have scored one additional point in a measure of anti-gay legislation, though in deciding which of these to visit or which of these to live in, the lack of difference is such that it should come down to things that are not gay or lesbian related.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2020 10:23 AM

Sweden, if you avoid the Muslim areas.

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2020 11:13 AM

Having been to pretty much every European country, I'd say Iceland. For a country that 50 years ago nobody went to and which was basically a large fishing village at the time, the attitudes are surprisingly sophisticated and liberal, even in remote rat's ass towns near the Arctic circle.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2020 11:16 AM

Spain. The Northern Europeans like Netherlands and Sweden just tolerate gays on a personal level because it's the progressive thing to do but Spaniards embrace the culture.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2020 11:27 AM

Holland, or The Netherlands officially, legalized gay marriages in 2001. One of the first countries to do so.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2020 11:29 AM

Spain is largely very religious and traditional. LThey are definitely not the most progressive Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2020 11:33 AM

I went to Malta a few years ago - unfortunately in July and it was a damn inferno - I don't see how it ranks first. Although there was a fun gay bar dedicated to bears, which there are a lot of there.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2020 11:48 AM

R13 is right, R15. Spain is similar to Ireland in many ways, especially in dropping the Catholic church like a hot potato in modern times. The church is not much a part of daily life. Asked, older people will say that they are Catholic, but for most people they are Catholic in the way others say that they are culturally Jewish—their parents were of that faith, they are familiar to some extent with its basic principles, but they are not active in attending religious services or praying.

The churches and convents still exist everywhere in Spain, but mostly it's one old priest and a couple of old people stopping in for a few minutes. Normal services are mostly empty in the churches that have normal services (many do not.) The buildings are maintained for their art and architecture, maybe with a small group of old, cloistered nuns making sweets to sell, or fraternal groups organizing big spectacles for holy days (the fundraising for which keeps the doors from shuttering), and weddings. Weddings, showy tourist processions and events, and government grants for restoration of art and architecture and events keep the whole thing lurching along. But the influence on government, on legislation, on daily life...it's very minimal, especially compared to other places.

Pew Research data report on "How do European Countries Differ in Religious Commitment" shows Spain 14th out of 32 places with (2018 data) with 23% saying they pray daily. For comparison, the U.S. figure is 55%. Rated by people categorized as highly religious, Spain is 16th of 34 countries at 21%, with the percentage of adults in 34 European countries ranging from 7% to 55%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2020 12:17 PM

Portugal has indeed embraced a lot of anti-gay legislation, which is great, but this has been more like a top down thing than an actual reflection on attitudes to gay people. That said, it has worked wonders in that respect but it still as a way to go in comparison to Spain.

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2020 12:23 PM

Agreed R18. I would be perfectly comfortable living in Portugal, and it's a great place to live, but you don't see so strong an influence of gays being embraced in and a part of everyday life, whether in media, in advertising, in government, and all without any fuss in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2020 12:35 PM

[quote] Portugal has indeed embraced a lot of anti-gay legislation, which is great

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2020 12:37 PM

I think Spain is a great country for gays to go on vacation. Cities like Barcelona and Madrid are also great to live, but I know quite a lot of Spanish gays that moved to London bc it was very hard for them to find work and lots of trouble with family, neighbours, collegues etc. outside the gay friendly cities/areas.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2020 12:39 PM

The Netherlands. They were first with everything and it is inbuilt into them.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2020 12:45 PM

[quote]Normal services are mostly empty in the churches.

That's not what I experienced when I visited Barcelona and southern Spain (Granada, Cordoba, Seville) a couple of years back.

Almost the same picture you see in Austria (Vienna). Churches are packed, people are very pious.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2020 12:46 PM

America!!!! America is better than everywhere else and we're in Europe!

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2020 1:28 PM

Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2020 1:41 PM

Egypt

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2020 1:56 PM

Thanks for recommending Thailand and Egypt, R25 & R26. I'll check them out on my next trip to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2020 2:29 PM

Spain is ridden with grim Catholics who hate gays. I'd say the UK overall. Lots of gay characters in their soaps, dramas and hosting chat shows. Places like Holland and Denmark have a lot of homophobes outside the big cities.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2020 2:31 PM

London is the most gay friendly city in the world.

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]Spain is ridden with grim Catholics who hate gays.

"Ridden with"? That's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2020 2:34 PM

Definitely San Marino. All three of their gays are well accepted by the local community.

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2020 2:37 PM

EVERYONE barely tolerates or hates gays

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2020 2:46 PM

Here in Romania a year ago they actually had travel deals to Iran...a friend of my roommate and her girlfriend went and brought back some spectacular pictures of Isfahan, Shiraz and Persepolis and I felt anger at the fact that neither she or I could go regardless of whether we bearded for each other as we did in Morocco. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2020 5:44 PM

There is only one country in Europe that is truly genuinely gay friendly

Spain

The others just tolerate gays.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2020 5:49 PM

[quote] I felt anger at the fact that neither she or I could go regardless of whether we bearded for each other as we did in Morocco.

Why can't you go?

by Anonymousreply 35August 25, 2020 8:14 PM

The UK too, r34.

by Anonymousreply 36August 25, 2020 11:29 PM

Poland? No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!