Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judy Garland

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 53March 6, 2021 10:35 PM

She identified with out struggles that she married a couple of us!

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2020 1:25 AM

She bedded the most beautiful woman in Hollywood at the time: Capucine

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2020 2:18 AM

Erna met Judy!

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2020 2:22 AM

Ha! Ha! Ha! I'll say.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2020 2:58 AM

Judy was a good broad, a lotta laughs and, jesus, she could knock 'em back. I loved her. We both got loaded later on when we were not considered for the role of Mame after whats her name was gonna leave but I said, Judy Fuck 'Em. We'll come back better than ever. Of course I woulda done a better job but Judy was robbed. Fuck it, she's gone, I'm not and life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2020 5:52 PM

Can anyone recommend her best albums besides Carnegie Hall (which I love)? I need to expand my Judy knowledge!

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 7:02 PM

It seems like her whole life was just misery, for the most part.

Was she anorexic towards the end? She got terribly skinny.

If she kept doing drugs at the usual pace, and then lost a ton of weight, then no wonder she OD'd. Very sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 7:49 PM

Judy was never the same after her serious breakdown in 1947. She had good periods after that, of course, but she could never maintain sobriety or mental health for long. Her big mistake was marrying Minnelli, who convinced her to reup with MGM in 1945, even though she didn't want to and wanted to do theater in NYC instead. She regretted it within days of signing the contract and stopped trusting Vincente, whom she rightly identified as a company man. Add post-partum from Liza's birth, the need to lose serious post-pregnancy weight (which led to more pill abuse), and no wonder she spiraled.

The best thing she could have done was to tell all those leeches in Hollywood to go fuck themselves and moved to NYC like she wanted. She could have had a theater career and a movie career as a free agent, and maybe she would have found a non-gay man to marry her and father her children. Preferably one who wasn't a stone user like Sid Luft.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 8:20 PM

R8 = Deanna Durbin

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2020 8:49 PM

Is this a generational thing of 70+ gays? I don't know a single gay who identifies with her or any other women. Why didn't you identify with other men? Weren't there cool masculine men to identify with? Are you closeted trans? I don't get it. Do you wish to be a woman, is that it?

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2020 8:57 PM

Melania was one of the most talented courtesans ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Slovenia. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2020 8:58 PM

Ivanka was one of the most talented daughters ever. She also had a lot of graft and incest throughout her life. Despite that, she had a tacky clothing line, which is hard to encounter in DC. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her craptacular taste and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 9:04 PM

[quote] She could have had a theater career

I doubt it. Nothing was stopping her from having this big "theater career" after she left MGM in 1950.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 9:23 PM

She did a song with Babs. Magical. No one like Judy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 9:25 PM

She did have a career onstage after 1950. She performed on thousands of stages all over the world. It wasn't a typical stage play, but she sure as hell was a stage performer.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 10:00 PM

Goodness, a Judy thread at long last? We just don't have enough of those lately. How sublime.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 10:03 PM

OP's timely words are eloquent. I'm glad someone has finally come forward with this tribute..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 10:06 PM

Was Mickey Deans gay?

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 10:42 PM

Judy only had two straight husbands: David Rose and Sid Luft.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2020 1:53 AM

And she couldn't hold either of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2020 2:09 AM

Oh great, yet another Judy Garland discussion. It's been almost two hours, maybe it's time to start another.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2020 2:54 AM

Your struggles? Hel - LO! Yours truly was molested! I needed a Xanax to keep from having a breakdown on the side of [italic]Grease 2[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2020 7:50 AM

Side = set

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2020 7:51 AM

OP = writing a school essay. Introductory paragraph: B-

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2020 9:32 AM

Judy Pills says:

[quote]Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

If you really believed that, JP, you would change your insulting screen name, which only contributes to the image of Garland as a pill-popping no-talent better off forgotten, not an artist on the level of Sinatra or Picasso or Callas.

YOU and YOUR NAME are part of the problem, JP.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2020 10:02 AM

It took you long enough to get here, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2020 1:23 PM

[quote]R8 She was never the same after her serious breakdown in 1947. She had good periods after that, of course, but she could never maintain sobriety or mental health for long. Her big mistake was marrying Minnelli, who convinced her to reup with MGM in 1945

I think a big mistake was her not being honest with her therapists... which might have helped to lesson her tension. But she consistently lied to them, and would laugh about making up elaborate dreams for them to analyze.

She thought this was hilarious - while she sank lower and lower, even becoming virtually homeless.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote] which might have helped to lesson her tension

She also could’ve learned a lot.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2020 5:16 PM

[quote] would laugh about making up elaborate dreams for them to analyze.

Ha ha ha! I’ll say.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2020 5:17 PM

Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and Rosemary Clooney were all better singers than Judy. Even Doris Day was a better singer than Garland. And those are just her contemporaries.

There have been many better singers before and after Garland too.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2020 5:20 PM

[quote]R28 She also could’ve learned a lot.

Yes, I mean by learning about her past, her reactions, her choices, her desires...I mean that’s what might have lessened her tension, and help her find some kind of serenity without so many substances.

I do realize the concept of therapy was fairly new to her generation - but still, there was no need for her to sabotage the process.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2020 5:30 PM

R30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2020 5:32 PM

Here's to you, Judy Pills, wherever you are! (lifts glass)

And you newbies need to head on over to the archives.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 5:35 PM

Imagine booze and drug-addled Judy in a Broadway production. Nightmare for all involved including audiences.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2020 5:54 PM

And Lainie Kazan as understudy... gleefully greasing the wheels to her demise.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2020 6:19 PM

That's why they wouldn't cast her in the Broadway production of Mame, though she was desperate for the part. The producers basically said that if Judy melted down a week into the run, everyone else's hard work would have been in vain.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2020 2:52 PM

Georgia Engel was one of the most talented actress-singers-dancers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in television. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2020 3:06 PM

R10, gay men don’t identify with her- mostly they appreciate her. Gay men idolize women- gay men will openly appreciate a woman with great talent or power or intelligence. Straight men tend to idolize men- very rarely women- think about it.

I adore the sublime voices, talents and in some cases characters of Streisand, Aretha, and Leontyne Price (her 50th Met anniversary interview on YouTube is life affirming and radiant). I don’t identify with them- hardly although I connect emotionally to the truths in their artistry. I admire, not identify.

The homophobic paradigm of gay men identify with Judy’s pain etc is just that: homophobic. I don’t identify with her even a little- but damn her voice and artistry are magnificent. Few straight men will admit to that or perhaps even feel it.

She was not so much anorexic (like anorexia nervous) at the end of her life rather was literally anorexic (no appetite) due to extended and end stage substance abuse. She was literally dying.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2020 3:20 PM

Judy Garland is CANCELLED!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2020 3:24 PM

R10, Are you dumb? Is being this dumb a generational thing? I don't get it. Weren't there any smart people for you to identify with? Are you a closeted Republican?

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote]R34 Imagine booze and drug-addled Judy in a Broadway production. Nightmare for all involved

STAGE MANAGER: My God. You've got on your costume for the second act.

JUDY: So? I'll do the second act first!

[italic](falls down)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2020 3:32 PM

Charlie is hilarious. Straight men don't take to Judy Garland because she didn't sing well. She's overwrought, that terrible vibrato, a powerful voice with all those drag queen histrionics. Small range, big gestures. When she was younger she had a nice clear agile voice. A grown up sound, but nothing much out of the ordinary.

charlie - your whole argument supports why - you as a very OLD eldergay man DO IDENTIFY with Judy Garland. What a fool you are. The more you talk the more self serving and ridiculous you sound. Stop pretending that anyone other than fags take to Judy Garland and Barbaric Streisand. Garland was occasionally a nice screen presence, but her later day persona was strictly for the boys. I don't see straight men or women throwing her bouquets and screaming BRAVO! Get a Grip, Charlie. You sold some of the best quality knockoff hankies in your cart at Grand Central and you met some famous people in the process. No one is trying to take that away from you. But Garland's voice is as corny and antiquated as Al Jolson. Nobody BUT old gays "identify" with her "artistry."

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2020 1:06 AM

I am Japanese. I'm not proud of Judy's videos and songs, but I probably watch most of them.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2020 5:47 AM

"I adore the sublime voices, talents and in some cases characters of Streisand, Aretha, and Leontyne Price..."

For those of you who are new here, charlie doesn't just love and worship Streisand (nice how he snuck those other names in), he wants to BE Streisand. Exactly like Michael Jackson once wanted to BE Diana Ross. His perfect scenario would be to marry Barbra and be her content gay husband. Since that has always been implausible, he envys her ability to get good looking men, and is convinced that is because of her great beauty and appeal.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2020 2:34 PM

Judy told Vincente Minnelli she lied to her analyst, but we'd have to take her word for it. She may not have, but in her anger at her husband just reported that.

She saw no reason to investigate her identity as Frances Gumm and pay less mind to the creation "Judy Garland" because one of them was already so adored and popular. That has been documented by one of her therapists. It is quite a dilemma.

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2020 3:58 PM

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2020 2:58 AM

I wonder if Liza thought of her mom when she shang this shong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote]Can anyone recommend her best albums besides Carnegie Hall (which I love)? I need to expand my Judy knowledge!

Judy's Capitol Records albums are all great, but "Judy Alone", "Judy", and her first for Capitol "Miss Show Business" which was the tie-in to her big 1955 CBS Ford Star Jubilee tv special are the best.

There's an old cut-out album of Judy in her radio and tv appearances with songs on one side and Jack Parr interviews on the other called "THE WIT AND THE WONDER OF JUDY GARLAND" which is fantastic. Sadly, you can hear the magic and then the magic turning into something else, but for a cut-out album it is very entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2020 3:46 AM

[quote]R45 Judy told Vincente Minnelli she lied to her analyst, but we'd have to take her word for it. She may not have, but in her anger at her husband just reported that.

Her eldest daughter said she discussed making up fake dreams for her therapists with her, too.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2020 5:34 AM

hi JPG!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50March 6, 2021 9:56 PM

I love "The Wit and Wonder of Judy Garland". For an odd cut out album it is very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 51March 6, 2021 10:07 PM

[quote] hi JPG!!!!!

Hi hi hi! I'll say.

by Anonymousreply 52March 6, 2021 10:09 PM

Maude Findlay was one of the most talented actress-singers-dancers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in television. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 53March 6, 2021 10:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!