Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

are you mentally ill?

be honest

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2020 5:36 PM

Use capitalization and you won't look like such a desperate loon, you illiterate dolt.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2020 1:17 AM

That's a yes for R1.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2020 1:18 AM

I’ve always thought I’ve gone through several periods of mental illness throughout my life...none professionally diagnosed or treated...I just came out of them. I don’t think I’m mentally ill at the moment, although we all have more than enough reasons to be.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2020 1:28 AM

I'm TWISTED.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2020 1:29 AM

I post on DL, so I think that answers that question

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2020 1:30 AM

It’s complicated.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2020 1:31 AM

Yes . But not as severely as I was from 22 to roughly 24 where I had severe disassociative episodes that bordered on psychosis.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2020 1:33 AM

Reading DL posts, I think not. I am sure not.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2020 1:34 AM

If you're counting depression, then, yes, I'm mentally ill. I'm on medication and have been hospitalized.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2020 1:34 AM

Everyone has faced some kind of mental illness in their lifetime, just as everyone has had the flu, chickenpox, colds, etc.

The assertion that “mental illness” is a permanent and ongoing condition is shortsighted and a cliche.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2020 1:35 AM

Depends. Are you talking about having had emotional illness like depression or anxiety or problems like R7? I mean there is a very broad spectrum. From emotional issues to full blown psychosis.

Do you factor in substance abuse or other physical issues that may be factors? For example after pregnancy my sister had major hormonal issues for 2 years so severe that she had to be hospitalized and her adrenal function, cortisol, and vasopressin were so off the charts that it's a wonder she was able to even move.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2020 1:40 AM

Everyone on DL has a personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2020 1:47 AM

I have bad anxiety. So yes?

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2020 1:56 AM

I was - bad case of PTSD (worked a job where I was tracking cases of murdered children- that put me in a dark place for awhile). Aokay now.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2020 2:03 AM

super neurotic

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2020 2:05 AM

Anyone who meets DSM-V is mentally ill. So yes, that includes mood disorders like depression and anxiety. All of you who downplay serious depression (ffs even someone on here who had a psychiatric hospitalization) or anxiety disorders as emotional issues are just fooling yourselves; they are a type of mental illness.

I have dysthymia and have been on antidepressants for close to 20 years. A clinician would likely also diagnosis me with avoidant personality disorder. I’d guess the rate of personality disorders and moods distress among DLers would result in a good 50-70% answering YES to OP’s inquiry if honest.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2020 2:08 AM

^^ should have said “meet DSM-V diagnostic criteria”

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2020 2:10 AM

Oh yes I probably have avoidant personality too.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2020 2:12 AM

Yes. I've suffered from Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. And no not everyone has suffered from mental illness at some point in their life. Mental Illness is outside the normal range and normal highs and lows of emotions and feelings. It's something else.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2020 2:39 AM

I am not, but I do believe that OP is.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2020 2:44 AM

I was diagnosed with chronic anxiety and it's a battle to deal with it - has pretty much always been there. I don't see myself as 'mentally ill' but as someone who has flaws like everyone else on the face of the Earth!

We're all in this together!

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2020 2:50 AM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2020 2:51 AM

See my response below...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2020 3:08 AM

Just depression but it has been bad. I live in fear that it’ll come back. I once ran away from a mental hospital in a backless frock and no shoes. I hope that makes me eligible to be part of the DL community.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2020 3:54 AM

R24, I believe that makes you our mascot.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2020 4:06 AM

I suffer from depression, so yes. That's a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2020 5:33 AM

Yes, depression, general anxiety, social anxiety, and OCD. Therapy helped hugely with OCD -- I barely even have it anymore. I also made a lot of gains with social anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2020 7:29 AM

In July, I paid my annual DL dues, so I'd say yes. Definitely.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2020 9:15 AM

I’m insane in the membrane (insane in the brain)

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2020 9:47 AM

Not at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2020 11:24 AM

R27 what has helped with the social anxiety

I have it too

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2020 11:59 AM

I'm not completely insane, just a little bit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2020 12:12 PM

Everyone who supports Dump has mental illness. And everyone who posts here has to be mentally ill too. After immigrating to the US, I’ve come to the conclusion that the majority of Americans are mentally ill, you have to be to survive the endless abuse.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2020 12:21 PM

I think most people are mentally ill in various ways.

I suspect I have low-level depression. I don’t always see the point of life, and I comfort eat to make myself feel better.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2020 12:23 PM

Thankfully my meds are working

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2020 12:41 PM

of course. clinically diagnosed, yes

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2020 1:01 PM

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU INSINUTAING LITTLE HOMOSEXUAL BOYS?!!!

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2020 1:13 PM

Severe clinical depression, diagnosed and still under treatment. Will be for the rest of my life, I reckon.

No personality disorders, or bipolar disorder, and I’m lucky, since my mom has BPD and is also bipolar. However, inherited the alkie gene from my father. I’m sober, so that is currently on pause. And I say pause because it could all go to hell again, if I were to start drinking.

Exercising regularly is a HUGE deal, which is why I’m buying myself a stationary bike, so that I can do soul-cycling workouts from home. The pandemic has really done a number on me, in that it has made it impossible to go to the gym. I decided to order the bike in order to circumvent that issue.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2020 1:30 PM

[quote]The assertion that “mental illness” is a permanent and ongoing condition is shortsighted and a cliche.

Fixed: The assertion that “mental illness” is ALWAYS a permanent and ongoing condition is shortsighted and a cliche.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2020 1:41 PM

I have bouts of paranoia but I think it stems from shame. Desperately poor childhood, combined with some level of internalized homophobia, has resulted in being way too concerned with others' opinion of me. I work on it constantly but it is there and it's exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2020 1:46 PM

The voices in my head are so sick of my shit they’ve stopped talking to me.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2020 1:58 PM

Yes, I am.

No, I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2020 2:03 PM

R31, Therapy helped a lot with the social anxiety, too. It takes some practice, but you have to think less about yourself and more about other people, and realize that other people are a lot like you. You are not an alien -- other people also have their fears and insecurities. It was helpful to go to a social situation and "report back" to my therapist, and to realize that a social situation could actually be enjoyable!

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Thanks, R39!

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2020 4:09 PM

Thanks R43

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2020 4:46 PM

And other people are not thinking a bunch of mean, bad shit about you under most circumstances. They are too busy thinking about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2020 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!