Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Commercial for Schizophrenia drug

I’ve seen this commercial like 50 times in the past week ... also another one I can’t remember the drug name.... is schizophrenia actually that common to warrant medication advertisements for it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2020 3:04 AM

Stop persecuting me, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2020 4:45 PM

“Everyone is out to get me.”

That made me laugh so hard. It reminded me of the old Law & Order series. No beating around the bush. Just telegraph the point & get it out of the way.

“Remember, you’re not alone.”

“What? Yes I am! Who are you? Where did you come from? You’re not really here, are you? Omg, I’m hallucinating...”

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2020 4:47 PM

About 1%.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2020 4:47 PM

Imagine if the pharmaceutical companies poured the money they spent into advertising campaigns into developing new drugs instead.

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2020 4:49 PM

Is that a park for schizophrenics? Because there are an awful lot of schizophrenics in that park. Seems unsafe.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2020 4:52 PM

Sorry for sloppy syntax at r4

Maybe I need Fanept

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2020 4:53 PM

I didn’t know they advertised medication in the UK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2020 4:55 PM

One thing that I find fascinating is that supposedly identical twins don't each get schizophrenia 100 percent of the time. So there is an additional factor besides genes.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2020 5:33 PM

I think they've determined in utero factors may be partly responsible r8. Although identical twins share genetics, they don't have identical experiences within the womb.

I once read a theory that stated mothers who catch the flu during pregnancy have children with a higher chance of developing schizophrenia, although I don't know if that's still accepted

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2020 5:39 PM

I heard somewhere that drugs for schizoaffective disorders are very profitable even though they are relatively rare. Also I've known several people who have it. The paranoid thoughts are often much more subtle than portrayed in pop culture. It's not always that someone is trying to kill me. It's more often Ginny in payroll is always criticizing me to other people behind my back including my boss. So believing this I respond accordingly. I also believe my boss believes her.

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2020 5:59 PM

But you’d be correct, R10. Ginny’s a cunt & your boss doesn’t know any better.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2020 6:21 PM

R10, how is that schizophrenia? That sounds like paranoia.

Also, if Ginny has a PATTERN of going after others, and is enabled by the boss, and dozens of others have actually confirmed this to you at your work place, then that’s not called schizophrenia, that’s called a shitty place to work and it’s time to start looking for another job.

Schizophrenia is auditory (common), and/or visual (less common) hallucinations experienced by the afflicted. It has nothing to do with being paranoid or working in a crappy company.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2020 6:41 PM

R8. The genetics of schizophrenia are multifactorial and not due to one mutation in a gene coding for a protein, as in the case in disorders like Huntington's disease.

Huntington's is autosomal dominant and only one parent need be a carrier to pass the risk of inheriting the mutant gene. If you have a parent with Hungtington's then there is a 50 % chance the child of that parent will inherit the faulty gene.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2020 6:44 PM

R12 Some with schizophrenia do not experience auditory hallucinations. Paranoia is a psychotic symptom common in schizophrenia, and leads to reduced compliance with medication.

Schizophrenia is marked by BOTH positive (psychotic) symptoms and negative symptoms. Negative symptoms include poverty of speech and thought, apathy, anhedonia, reduced social drive, loss of motivation, lack of social interest, and inattention to social or cognitive input.

While current antipsychotics do a fairly decent job at reducing psychosis, they do not do much for negative symptoms, and that is a real tragedy for those with schizophrenia.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2020 6:50 PM

You fuckers are DOOMED.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2020 6:57 PM

The paranoid thoughts in r10 sound more like a personality disorder than schizophrenia.

Patients with paranoid personality disorder, for example:

- Doubt the commitment, loyalty, or trustworthiness of others, believing others are exploiting or deceiving them.

- Are reluctant to confide in others or reveal personal information because they are afraid the information will be used against them.

- Are unforgiving and hold grudges.

- Are hypersensitive and take criticism poorly.

- Read hidden meanings in the innocent remarks or casual looks of others.

- Perceive attacks on their character that are not apparent to others; they generally react with anger and are quick to retaliate.

- Have persistent suspicions, without reason, that their spouses or lovers are being unfaithful.

- Are generally cold and distant in their relationships with others, and might become controlling and jealous to avoid being betrayed.

- Cannot see their role in problems or conflicts, believing they are always right.

- Have difficulty relaxing.

- Are hostile, stubborn, and argumentative.

- Tend to develop negative stereotypes of others, especially those from different cultural groups.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]I heard somewhere that drugs for schizoaffective disorders are very profitable even though they are relatively rare.

Abilify (which is now generic) was the most profitable drug in the US for a few years in the early 2010s.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2020 8:18 PM

And here I thought those commercials for urinary catherters were the weirdest things on TV.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2020 8:30 PM

Profitable: a 30-day supply without insurance is $1,800.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2020 8:34 PM

If you read the entire DSM entry on Schizoaffective Disorders it's more of a continuum than most people realize. The specific types of symptoms experienced as well as the intensity, persistence and frequency of them can vary. For example the voices in the head are not always telling them to do something. They could for example always just be insulting them. They may be clearly audible. They may be more like background noise. They don't go into the office the next day with a chainsaw to cut Ginny in half. They do though get severe headaches and chronic fatigue from this unwanted brain activity.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2020 8:43 PM

[quote]I’ve seen this commercial like 50 times in the past week ... also another one I can’t remember the drug name.... is schizophrenia actually that common to warrant medication advertisements for it?

Maybe the commercial is supposed to induce schizophrenia so that you'll need to the drug?

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2020 8:46 PM

This one came on in the commercial break during an episode of “Evil” in which a character was suspected of being demonically possessed. Well done, CBS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2020 8:48 PM

There are no known cases of anyone who was born blind or who went blind in infancy developing schizophrenia. for some reason congenital blindness is a protective factor.

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2020 8:51 PM

Marry me r21

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2020 8:56 PM

R19, sure it costs $1800 a month in the US, everywhere else it costs $4 a month.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2020 8:58 PM

Somebody is trying to tell you something OP

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2020 9:43 PM

Abilify became popular as an adjunct to anti-depressants. The research was pretty weak, but most anti-depressants are prescribed by primary care docs (GPs--idf they still exist, family practice, internists).

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2020 9:47 PM

R19. Almost every patient I have treated with schizophrenia is on medicaid/SSI. Schizophrenia = permanent disability.

Medicaid is not paying full cost for these antipsychotics. Also, there are so many good generic atypical antipsychotics, there is no need to use a branded medication. Medicaid will not cover a branded one unless there is documentation of failure on at least 3 preferred generics. But typically at that point, Clozapine (generic) is considered if the patient is medically suitable for this medication.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2020 2:02 AM

I've actually seen individuals with Schizoaffective Disorders get turned down for disability for various reasons.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2020 2:55 AM

I had a mental hospital that my IT staff serviced. The longterm effects of some of these medications is significant

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote] One thing that I find fascinating is that supposedly identical twins don't each get schizophrenia 100 percent of the time. So there is an additional factor besides genes.

Not really. We all carry genes that don’t switch on. The same goes for mental illness. Until something triggers it (emotional trauma, drugs, etc) you may never experience the illness. This is why so many psychiatrist are so against pot. They’ve seen case after case where it triggered schizophrenia in people who were already predisposed. Hallucinogens aren’t good for them.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2020 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!