Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We’re never going to get rid of Baby Boomers

COVID-19 will make the 60-plus generation more powerful than ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2020 12:22 AM

Why do we need to get rid of the Boomers? The 60+ people have always held power. According to the article OP linked to, the 60+ people will be the majority of the population. What's wrong with power being vested in the majority of the population?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2020 4:39 PM

Well then you should be happy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2020 4:39 PM

R1, the DL HATES Baby Boomers. They blame everything in the world and every shitty thing in their lives on Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2020 4:54 PM

The only thing for which they should be castigated is their poor parenting that lead to millennials

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2020 5:00 PM

Don't sweat it. There are a host of contagious diseases still to come that will thin the herds considerably.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2020 5:01 PM

Boomer hit peak in the 80s and 90s, they have held onto power for several reasons (compared to what Xers should have had) through the 00s and 10s, but they will be on clear decline through the 20s and 30s as Millennials ascend, one way or another, Xers maintain (top CEOs and politicians will be them), and Zers will start showing up.

We will be 'rid' of Baby Boomers in the mid century. But they won't matter as much in the next decade as they have in the last decade. We're done with them being the biggest voting eligible bloc, for example, but they're still in competition for it, and they're still the biggest *actually voting* bloc. This may switch to Millennials by 2030, as more of them get engaged, and boomers well, literally start dying off.

Financially, seniors for quite a while have been the most powerful generation (even if individuals risk being the weakest they've ever been), so that's a shrug. We are a capitalistic society where wealth accumulates wealth, and seniors have had several decades to do so.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2020 5:13 PM

*peak relevance, importance, cultural influence, etc. (It was always going to maintain through 00s-10s, but Xers would have bettered more if there were more of them around, and with more wealth.

Presidents since 1990s: Greatest, Boomer, Boomer, Boomer (though Obama seemed X), Boomer, Boomer/Silent (depending on who wins). We've been in a Boomer dominant society, Silents were indeed silent, and Xers stuffed to the side. This won't last forever and Millennials will soon enough be The Man to put to task.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2020 5:15 PM

If Biden wins, he will be the first Silent Gen president at nearly 80 years old. Pretty remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2020 5:38 PM

I make fun, fun, fun of dumbasses like OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2020 5:49 PM

Fucking just DIE already!!

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2020 5:52 PM

OP completely misread or misunderstood his linked article. People over 60 right now in 2020 are Baby Boomers (Boomers for short). People who turn 60 in 2025 will NOT be baby boomers. (Depending on whom you consult as a source, the baby boom lasted from 1946-1960 or 1946-1964). For many scientists, THIS year will be the last year of Baby Boomers turning 60. The article OP linked was talking about people over 60. People over 60 will continue to wield disproportionate power in certain areas of public life indefinitely, because with low birth rates in the US, the population is aging. But increasingly, fewer and fewer of those over 60 will be baby boomers, as those die off. The oldest baby boomers right now are getting close to 75 years old. In the next 10 years, the majority of baby boomers will die. (The average lifespan for men is still only 76 years old here). Many scientists don't even think of the baby boomers monolithically, as the boomers who were born after 1955 faced a radically different world and different economic circumstances than their predecessors. Baby boomers who were born in 1946 were 23 years old in 1969, meaning they attended Woodstock, some were drafted and went to Vietnam, they had long hair, they had free love, they hitchhiked through Mexico, participated in peace marches at their universities, etc. Baby boomers who were born in 1957 turned 23 in 1980, meaning they came of age during a massive energy crisis and a massive recession, Reagan was elected President, corporations began shedding jobs, manufacturing went into freefall, wall street greed became the norm, etc. For gay men born at that time, they had perhaps 1-3 sexually active years before AIDS suddenly became a dominant aspect of gay life.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2020 6:11 PM

People born 1960 are NOT true boomers. They weren't twenty until 1980, making them the assholes who gave us punk rock, Yuppies, Guppies, and the death of unions. Boomers gave us health food, sexual freedom, communes. environmentalism, and all sorts of liberation. Hating on Boomers means hating on all the stuff you enjoy and wouldn't be able to if we hadn't put a stake in the heart of the 1950s. So there.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2020 11:19 PM

R12 Reagan and those who voted for him were the death knell for unions. Don’t blame 20-year-olds in 1980. You’re welcome for punk rock, though.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2020 11:27 PM

Oh PLEASE r12. The older Boomers were also Yuppie Reagan-loving scum in the 80s. That was my parents' generation.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2020 11:28 PM

So you, R14, are basing your assessment of a whole generation on your parents? It was the so-called Greatest Generation (who only did what the government forced or allowed them to do, say or think) who elected Der Reagan. My parents were GG, big Nixonites.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2020 11:36 PM

Boomers had a huge hand in electing Reagan, r15. All the ideals of the Sixties and Seventies went away and they turned into greedy little piggies in the Eighties. This is common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2020 11:39 PM

The Greatest Generation gave birth to the Baby Boomers. OP, BB do hold the power (and the money). Show some respect - you're going to inherit their money for doing nothing but being born and letting them spoil you. You'll probably squander it on useless shit.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2020 11:54 PM

OP Don't you have any "Boomers" in your life you're fond of? Any older people at all?

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote]Boomers had a huge hand in electing Reagan, [R15]. All the ideals of the Sixties and Seventies went away and they turned into greedy little piggies in the Eighties. This is common knowledge.

Yeah, we all got together at Boomerpalooza '79 and said 'Hey, how can we best fuck America up for generations to come?'

You're a fucking moron, r16. Of course boomers voted in 1980. We were 18-34 years old and the largest group of voters in existence. We were going to vote for someone. But I sure as shit didn't vote for Reagan. Neither did anyone I know.

Did we also vote Nixon in?

Some people are too dumb to live.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2020 12:15 AM

We're about to get rid of a Boomer President, and replace him with someone even older from the Silent Generation. So yes, we're getting rid of the Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2020 12:25 AM

Gosh, what is this place?! In everyday conversation I have rarely, if ever made such delineation between generations.

The people here seem unusually inclined to categorisation, not to understand, but denigrate.

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2020 12:30 AM

r19 it's common knowledge that Boomers had a huge hand in electing Reagan. Many of them also turned into soulless yuppie scum in the Eighties. I'm hardly stupid for pointing out the facts. They wrecked this country with their greed.

by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2020 12:30 AM

Well, I didn't wreck the country with my greed, dumbass. You ought to consider looking at delineations according to class instead of age.

by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2020 12:33 AM

It's not about you r23.

by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2020 12:35 AM

R21 Sadly Inagree with you. No matter what group it seems, so many sweeping generalisations, and putting everyone in tidy little boxes. Illogical indictments of many entire "catagories" of or fellow humans.

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2020 12:35 AM

The Boomer apologists need to stop. Nixon famously won the "youth vote" in 1972. And yes, they then went for Reagan on 1980 and in even bigger numbers in 1984.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2020 1:13 AM

Millennials are going to be blamed for bringing AOC to national attention, once she becomes a disastrous President sometime in the future.

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2020 1:27 AM

I would bet money AOC will run in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 28August 24, 2020 1:44 AM

R8, true. Funny enough, Kerry was a Silent who lived a life the Boomers love to claim they represent: well educated, military service, anti-war activist, leader in the Iran-Contra investigation, politically liberal. Yet more Boomers went for their own frat boy idiot in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2020 1:46 AM

My BB husband and myself have never voted for a Republican. We’ve been a pioneering couple in the flyover suburbs of the Midwest for years. We are leaving our millions to charity and will continue to work for minority rights. That being said, our BB siblings are exactly as being described here. I don’t understand how they went from pot smoking hippies to “Lock her up.” I’m truly a part of this selfish and thoughtless generation.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2020 2:10 AM

The media has always pushed the narrative that the Boomers were mostly pot smoking, free love having hippies who were at Woodstock and in San Francisco and were very liberal and laid back, which is total bullshit. For every one Boomer who was like that, there were a thousand Boomers in cities and small towns all over America who were nasty, selfish conservative greedy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2020 2:14 AM

Wait - is it true Boomers own 80% of the US wealth?

by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2020 2:20 AM

It's closer to 60%, R32:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2020 2:29 AM

Boomers consistently expressed more support for the Vietnam War than either Silents or GGs, even as overall support plummeted. The anti-War movement was primarily led by Silents.(e.g. John Kerry).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2020 2:43 AM

Fuck you, Op.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2020 3:07 AM

There was another Baby Boom in 1982-1989. Good luck all of you born in the 80s. In 30 years you will be dealing with the seething resentment of younger people. And trolls who love creating divisions. Divide and Conquer. Tried and true enemy tactic.

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2020 3:13 AM

I'm a Boomer (born in 1957) and never supported Nixon, Reagan, Bush 1 or 2, and definitely not Donny Two Scoops. I've been a lifelong Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2020 3:13 AM

A lot of them have pensions. They don't really give a fuck about anyone else. They've got theirs so fuck everyone else.

Companies really started abandoning pension style retirement plans in the late 1980s. When the pension people die off (or die off in a large percentage) things will change. I give it 10 to 12 years

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2020 3:18 AM

R36 couldn’t be any worse than the seething resentment we have always gotten from Boomers, even while they “raised” us.

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2020 3:28 AM

[quote] We’re never going to get rid of Baby Boomers

We're? Well, at least you own up to being a septaugenarian and not trying to act like a millennial or Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2020 3:28 AM

R30, you sound great--can I come live with you? We are exactly the same only my integrity got me zip as far as money goes and I live in public housing.

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2020 12:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!