Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canada's Governor General is a nut job

Julie Payette, a former Canadian astronaut, was appointed to the role in 2017 and after an initially promising beginning, has proven to be absolutely dreadful in the role. An introvert by nature, she allegedly hate the public aspect of the role, hates international travel, treats her staff like shit, evades her security, and wanted Canadian taxpayers to foot a $250K bill to bill a private garden door for her cat, and refuses to move into the Governor General's official residence at Rideau Hall in Ottawa. Instead she lives in a house on the grounds of Rideau Hall which has tripped her security expenses. Also according to this report, she also has created international incidents insulting foreign police services and calling a limo driver a "fucking dickhead" when they drove over a bump and she got coffee on herself.

For those of you who don't know, The Governor General is the highest office in Canada. Although Queen Elizabeth II is technically Canada's head of state, the Governor General is her representative in the country performing all the duties of the monarchy and is basically the de facto head of state. The Governor General is appointed by the Queen but it is the Canadian Prime Minister who selects the the GG and the Queen has zero actual say in it. The Governor General is basically a figure head position but does have the power to fire the Prime Minister should he/she do something unconstitutional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220February 22, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote] and wanted Canadian taxpayers to foot a $250K bill to bill a private garden door for her cat

Is there a breakdown of the costs for doing this?

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2020 6:32 PM

Why did our hot Trudeau chose such a deplorable woman for GG?

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2020 6:33 PM

R2 Because on paper she looks good and fit the "pro-feminist" brand of his party. A female astronaut who was known as a good public speaker.

The tea is that she was not the first choice for the role. Trudeau's office had allegedly vetted another candidate (the rumour is that this person was First Nations person), but during the summer of 2017, Payette approached the Prime Minister's Office (she allegedly knew Trudeau and was a contributor to his 2015 campaign) about getting an appointment to some kind of high profile public office. Allegedly, she wanted to be appointed the Ambassador to France. Trudeau offered her the position of Governor General but it appears his office failed to vet her properly and to make her fully aware of what the job actually involved. After her appointment was announced, it came to light that she was twice charged with domestic assault (but those charges were later dropped by her ex-husband) and she was involved in a fatal pedestrian accident where she hit a woman who was cross the road but she was not charged.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2020 6:39 PM

R1 Cost breakdown from CBC...the cat door was dropped after the Prime Ministers office stepped in and said "hell no!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2020 6:40 PM

They’re trying to push her out with these leaks.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2020 3:01 PM

She needs to go. She should do the right thing and step down, but she won't, so now, Trudeau will have to go to the Queen and get her involved.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2020 3:05 PM

And people thought it would've been ridiculous if Harry had assumed the role. At least he's somewhat attractive and rightfully entitled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2020 3:05 PM

Oh god, R7. I don't think he's eligible.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2020 3:07 PM

Doesn't the GG have to be a Canadian citizen?

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2020 3:09 PM

Harry would be hot though.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2020 3:09 PM

The GG residence doesn't have 16 bathrooms, r9. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2020 3:10 PM

I think so, R9. I remember reading something about how being a royal excludes him too.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2020 3:10 PM

Harry would probably be even more demanding than Payette.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2020 3:11 PM

I don’t say this to be cruel but it sounds as if she is somewhat on the spectrum. Astronauts are highly intelligent and often very rigorous -that’s not the word I’m looking for but it’s not coming to me - and to read that she doesn’t like to see maintenance workers in her line of sight sounds unintentionally OCD on her part.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2020 3:14 PM

The RCMP officer guarding her office has to be halfway down the hall so he can't clearly hear what she is yelling at staff members.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote]very rigorous -that’s not the word I’m looking for but it’s not coming to me

R14 I have a relative on the spectrum. I use the word 'focused' to describe him. I'm not sure if that's the word either but when he gets interested in something, he's like a dog with a bone. When he's in that zone, he will let nothing distract him.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2020 3:58 PM

R13 Harry is a brat, but Meghan is the demeaning one...let's be real here.

R9 The GG being a Canadian citizen is a tradition established in 1952 when Vincent Massey was appointed but not an actual rule. Members of the Royal Family are technically Canadian because they are in the line of succession to the Canadian throne, but that fact has never really been formally acknowledged because they're more identified with the UK. In 1988, Prince Andrew was seriously considered by the Mulroney government, but allegedly the Queen was not in favour as she didn't want her children (let alone her favourite son) living abroad for five years....thank god cause we dodged a bullet there. Also, I think it would look to 'colonial' for a member of the royal family to assume to post.

R6 She does need to go, but she won't and I don't actually think Trudeau will push her out unless the allegations against her are proven without a shadow of a doubt OR something more damning comes to light. She only has two years left in that post and most of the next two years are going to be spent dealing with COVID. It's Trudeau's fault she is in this job in the first place, and he's dealing with enough scandals already that by pushing her out, it's just going to be more fuel for the conservatives to try and question his leadership skills.

Also, I don't think the government has anyone vetted and ready to take over the role. By law, the Chief Justice of Canada becomes the 'caretaker' Governor General if the current one is abroad, resigns, or dies in office. However, in a minority government situation, it would be unwise to keep the post vacant. Plus they can't really have an installation ceremony right now because of COVID. The installation of a new GG is basically the highest state occasion Canada hosts. The only real viable option would be to ask one of the living former-GGs (Clarkson, Jean, or Johnston) to come back and fill the post until COVID is over or a majority government is elected.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2020 4:56 PM

R17 It wasn't just the fact that the Queen didn't want Andrew to live abroad, he was also the designated regent should the Queen and Charles have both died before William turned 18. He would have been required to perform all the duties of the monarch until William's 18th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2020 11:28 PM

Diana should have been queen if we were lucky enough for Liz and Charles to both fucking die. Some y'all know nothing of Canada. Nobody wants the royal family here - except on a visit.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Update: The government has ordered a third party review of the allegations against Payette. Ottawa insiders are saying this basically a move to push the Governor General out of office without having to actually fire her. They are hoping that Payette, who is extremely private, will leave rather than allowing any details of her private life and her working style to become public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2020 3:11 AM

She needs to go

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2020 3:19 AM

Awww, Canadian "problems" are so cute!

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2020 3:21 AM

Shevis a walking disaster- which is a shame given her successful career as an astronaut

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2020 3:28 AM

Shevis —> she is

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2020 3:29 AM

Is she a lesbian? (astronaut, extremely private, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2020 3:31 AM

I wish I had this job, ffs. My god. Some lipstick and some hand shaking, in bed by 9 pm w a double Stoli. A monkey could do it. And often does...

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2020 3:37 AM

R25 I actually wondered that myself but she does have two ex-husbands and a son. That doesn't necessarily mean she isn't a lesbian or bi because women (particularly well-educated ones) seem to come out much later in life. I just think she is a very smart, academic person, but very academic people often are highly extroverted and lack people skills, particularly people in the sciences.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2020 4:27 AM

Trudeau said today that he has full confidence in the GG.....I'm guessing the same way he full confidence in Bill Morneau!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2020 7:06 PM

R28 She’s a goner. It’s just a matter of when.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2020 9:49 PM

Bardish Chagger is also likely being forced out.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2020 10:14 PM

"Bardish Chagger"?? LMAO! You silly Canadians are so cute!

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2020 12:04 AM

CBC is breaking more news: They have now confirmed that Payette was fired from her last two jobs at the Montreal Science Centre and the Canadian Olympic Committee prior to being appointed as Governor General. Also CBC has confirmed no one from the Prime Minister's office did a reference check on Payette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2020 2:51 AM

She really seems to enjoy having Trudeau bow down before her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2020 3:06 AM

So sore-y for you!

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2020 3:14 AM

My brother-in-law worked at Montreal Science Centre when Payette was there. They didn't have anything but passing contact, but he said her reputation there was terrible. He believes she has some form of anger management problems. She wasn't technically fired from the Science Centre but was "asked to leave."

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2020 6:20 PM

Apparently the report into Payette's conduct is complete and it's very damning. Allegedly, some sources within the Prime Minister's office believe it's unlikely she can stay in the job. Additionally, it appears Payette's Private Secretary (good friend) has hired the infamous Marie Henein to represent her suggesting legal action is on the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2021 5:27 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2021 6:41 PM

R36 Criminal or civil?

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2021 6:50 PM

According to unconfirmed reports breaking on social media, she has submitted her resignation to the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2021 7:25 PM

Melissa Leo has to play her in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2021 7:34 PM

Celine would be wonderfully batshit.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2021 7:41 PM

Wait. Canada has astronauts?

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2021 7:45 PM

Canada's Chief Justice will be acting-GG until Trudeau recommends a successor to the Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2021 7:55 PM

Sad last days. Tristes derniers jours.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2021 8:08 PM

Governor Dollar General

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]Also CBC has confirmed no one from the Prime Minister's office did a reference check on Payette.

WTAF?? Did they just assume "Well she's an astronaut who's flown into space twice, what could possibly go wrong?"

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2021 8:08 PM

Her collapse is complete.

She will NEVER be President!

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2021 8:20 PM

Did someone say provisional monarchy?

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote]Did they just assume "Well she's an astronaut who's flown into space twice, what could possibly go wrong?"

Well, it was Justin's call, so yes, there's a good chance that's exactly what they did.

Those aren't brains in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2021 9:09 PM

She's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2021 9:10 PM

We all experience things differently.

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2021 9:11 PM

She’s a Canadian cunt

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote]until Trudeau recommends a successor to the Queen

Well THAT'S a bit presumptious of him, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2021 10:47 PM

She gives off lesbian energy.

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2021 11:36 PM

Justin needs to find a gay guy with a partner for the job.

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2021 11:38 PM

Shouldn’t it be spelled Governour?

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2021 11:52 PM

How did this ragey bitch make it through astronaut training?

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2021 1:47 AM

I wonder if her brain was damaged while she was in space.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2021 2:20 AM

Aaaand this is why you always check references. It's not brain surgery Justin!

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2021 4:11 AM

Publicly, Payette had a stellar (no pun intended) reputation prior to her appointment as GG. She was a highly regarded public speaker and something of a homegrown Canadian hero. Privately, there have been rumours about Payette being a piece of work for years. She has effectively been fired from every post she's held following her career as an astronaut.

Personally, I believe Trudeau is lying when he says they fully vetted her. I think she looked good on paper and so he just offered the job. It is widely known, as it's been reported by several papers in Canada, that Payette was not the original choice. Trudeau had already vetted another candidate (allegedly a First Nations candidate) when word got to him that Payette was looking for a government posting (allegedly she wanted to be named Canadian Ambassador to France). On paper, she looked like a stunning choice for GG: a woman, astronaut, a francophone, an advocate of science and fact etc. Image wise, she was a great choice for Trudeau. Allegedly, the time between offering her the job and making the announcement was only 7 days. Just to give you some perspective: David Johnston had six months between being offered the job and his name being made public; Michelle Jean and Adrienne Clarkson also had about five months. This long delay was to allow the perspective new GG shadow the incumbent one to get a sense of what the job required. Payette never had the opportunity to understand what the role was, and Trudeau never bothered to have her background looked at before deciding if this was a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2021 5:39 PM

R54 I had the same thought. She has been married to men twice, but she gives off a 'later life lesbian' vibe. Apparently her Secretary (who also resigned) is a close friend and they lived together on the ground of Rideau Hall.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2021 6:05 PM

From a column on the imbroglio: The royals have paid a price for mixing celebrity with symbolic duty, and now so has Payette — and Trudeau.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2021 7:59 PM

R61 In fact there have been whispers in Ottawa media circles that Payette and her secretary Assunta Di Lorenzo are in fact a couple. Di Lorenzo lived with Payette at Rideau Gate and it's believe that lack of privacy and space at Rideau Hall was a reason Payette refused to move into the official residence of the Governor General. While Rideau Hall is a massive villa with over 80 acres of park land, the living space for the Governor General is actually only two rooms on the second floor. It's believed that the official report into Payette's behaviour does bring up the relationship between her and Di Lorenzo but it's likely going to be redacted when the public gets to see it.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2021 3:23 AM

And she's still going to get an annual "pension" of at least $149,000 year for life. Plus office expenses of up to $100,000/year. That's the true scandal.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2021 3:33 AM

Imagine if she lives another 30 years, R64. She only served as GG for three years. That pension amount is insane.

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2021 3:37 AM

R64 Yeah the pension is locked in by constitutional law and likely cannot be changed. So she'll get a very cushy pension from a job she only held for 3 years. The office expenses is not actually a law it's part of public service allowances which are subject to approval. Former Governors General are allowed to claim expenses (just like former prime ministers) for things that are deemed related to their former position. When GGs leave office, they are typically granted money to start some kind of foundation and the money they claim usually goes toward running those foundations. Payette will not be given that honour and I doubt she'll be allowed to claim expenses. My sense is she's going to be effectively 'erased from GG history.' She won't be invited to state events like her predecessors. I am also assuming she got some major severance that we'll learn about down the road.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2021 3:41 AM

Canadians HATE that cunt and Trudeau. And Trudeau is a Very weak and incompetent leader

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2021 3:53 AM

^67 is delusional

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2021 4:02 AM

The partisan liberals are actually defending this woman's actions on Twitter. Some are even suggesting that this was an orchestrated character assassination to get at Trudeau. Others believe that given her accomplishments, Trudeau had no reason to vet her

When the NDPers say that some Liberals are as bad as Trumpers, this is exactly what they're talking about.

Trudeau should just be honest and own this. He didn't vet her, this is his fault. If he'd just explain that he put aside Harper's selection and vetting process because he felt Payette didn't need to be checked out then everyone would get over this. However, like every other blunder of his, the coverup is worse than the scandal.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2021 8:44 AM

Assunta the cunt-a...I mean, it's too easy...lol

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2021 7:52 PM

Get rid of the goddamn GG. No more fking free ride pensions and expense accounts for a useless ceremonial position.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2021 5:13 AM

Flush!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2021 5:16 AM

[quote] calling a limo driver a "fucking dickhead"

What a foul-mouthed woman!

by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2021 5:30 AM

R72 I'm not fan on the monarchy but it's just not going to happen. The Monarchy is protected by the most stringent of the three amending formulas in the Constitution. Under the Constitution Act 1982, removing the Crown and its representatives (the Governor General and the Lieutenant Governors of the provinces ) requires every level of government to vote with 100% unanimous consent. That means every sitting senator, MP in the House of Commons, and ever MPP/MLA of all 10 provincial legislatures would have to vote in favour. The process would then have to be repeated for the purposed system to replace the Crown as head of state. If just one politician in the whole of the country votes against the process cannot move forward.

Canada doesn't have a good history with constitutional amendments. It took 50 years for the provinces to agree on terms to repatriate the constitution from the UK (which happened in 1982). In the late 80s, Mulroney attempted a full amendment to grant Quebec a status as a 'distinct society.' After three years of negotiations, all the Provincial Premiers agreed in principal but when they attempted it, it ultimately collapsed because there was not enough support and ultimately the Meech Lake Accord led to the 1995 referendum. No PM has touched the constitution since.

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2021 5:48 AM

Failure of Meech Lake was due to exclusion of First Nations as a recognized distinct society on par w Quebecois and Canadian francophones outside of Quebec. I mean it's a glaringly obvious and racist omission when looked back on today.

I hope there is appetite to at least keep the GG role vacant until a way fwd to abolish can be established. What a waste of money. And who knows? Maybe Payette is the change agent that is needed to move forward and modernize. Cut those goddamn apron strings once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 75January 26, 2021 6:23 AM

R75 Yes there where numerous reasons why Meech Lake failed and you're right the exclusion of First Nations (along with Acadians and other minorities), and some of the Premieres also overestimated the amount of support they'd have in their own legislatures (many provinces were resentful of the idea that Quebec should be singled out as distinct). But R74 is also right that ultimately only Quebec was able to ratify the Accord. The premiers overestimated support for the amendment. Newfoundland actually passed it, but then there was an election and the new government rescinded it. Ontario couldn't even get it to first reading.

Here's the thing, removing and replacing the Crown is a huge political obstacle that would dominate the political landscape in Canada for years (think Brexit only larger scale) preventing other important items to be discussed. It's not just removing the Crown it's agreeing on a new system and that's where the big stumbling block. Canadians are indifferent about the monarchy and we no longer see it as a vital part of our identity, but there just isn't the public mood to remove it. That may change after the Queen dies but I still think any PM is going to be very wary about touching the constitution unless he/she is guaranteed it would blow up in their face and threaten the unity of the country.

Back in the 70s, Pierre Trudeau attempted to make Canada a republic by making the Governor General the legal head of state. The Provinces (even Quebec) objected because it brought into question the jurisdictional sovereignty of the provinces as they would want a say in how the GGs and LGs were appointed. Long story short, Trudeau abandoned this. When negotiations were underway to repatriate the constitution, the amending formula to entrench the Crown was a one concession Trudeau made for some of the Premieres in order to get the Charter of Rights and Freedoms passed (that and the notwithstanding clause). The idea behind this was no Prime Minster could unilaterally change how Canada is governed, nor challenged the sovereignty of the provinces.

by Anonymousreply 76January 26, 2021 3:59 PM

[Quote](think Brexit only larger scale)

Brexit has massive economic and logistical ramifications.

by Anonymousreply 77January 26, 2021 4:30 PM

R77 and how Canada is governed doesn't have massive economic, logistical, cultural, and jurisdictional issues? I would argue that taking apart and rebuilding the country's entire political structure would be a massive and stressful undertaking larger than Brexit in terms of scale. Added to that is the reality that it will be politicians deciding things, so it's likely that at the end of the day, we'll end up with a system that's worse than the one we already have. Given the distrust Canadians have towards politicians, I think if there were a referendum on the monarchy tomorrow, the status quo would eke out a win. Even Australia, which has a far more organized republican movement, hasn't been able to get the deed done because none of the proposed replacements have appealed to voters.

I am all for democratic reform, but personally, electoral reform and social program reform are far more important to me than who our head of state is. It will likely happen one day, but honestly, I'm 40, and I wouldn't be surprised if Canada still has the monarchy after I'm dead and buried. Not out of any love out of the institution but for lack of political will. There are always things we can do with the present system to make it more transparent. For example, there is nothing constitutionally stopping reforms on how the GG is selected. The only constitutional rule is that the PM has to do is give the Queen a name.

Interestingly, there is some debate about whether the Queen has to sign off on the appointment or if the incumbent GG can do it. The Letters Patent of 1947 allows the GG to exercise all the prerogatives of the Crown. This, in theory, means they could sign off on their successor. This would fit the gradual evolution of transferring responsibility from the monarch to the GG. For example, in the 70s, it was decided that the GG would sign off on Letters of Credence (documents presented to a foreign head of state by an ambassador) instead of the Queen. In the 80s, military deployment approval, the declaration of war, and the signing of treaties were all transferred to the GG. The only functions the Queen performs for Canada anymore are signing off on the appointment of a new GG and creating new medals like the order of Canada.

by Anonymousreply 78January 26, 2021 4:54 PM

Thank you for your detailed response, r78. I would never have imagined the profound ramifications vis a vis the Royal family. Unreal how much influence they wield over Canadian politics and its mindset to the point of being sugar in the gas tank of the Canadian economy when the Queen is only a figurehead.

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2021 7:39 PM

So what happens if UK abolishes the monarchy? Does Canada keep a teeny tiny King Charles III locked in a tower somewhere over there for our own purposes? Maybe Canada House? Haha...

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2021 11:26 PM

This isn't good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 26, 2021 11:35 PM

Wasn't Payette charged with punching her ex-Husband (though the ex-hubby dropped them charges).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 27, 2021 12:10 AM

Adrienne Clarkson was a bigger cunt.

by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2021 12:12 AM

R83 Clarkson had a huge ego, but she wasn't going around physically assaulting staff....she was too busy spending money.

by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2021 12:25 AM

An astronaut that hates to travel?

That's novel.

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote] but honestly, I'm 40, and I wouldn't be surprised if Canada still has the monarchy after I'm dead and buried

Completely agree.

Changing any aspect of the monarchy would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada and that is a third rail of Canadian politics (imagine a politician in the US proposing to eliminate Social Security, or ban all handguns....ain’t gonna happen!). Opening up the constitution to changes is opening a can of worms - Quebec will want its own changes, Alberta theirs, etc. What’s more is the amendment formula makes it virtually impossible to change:

[quote] The Unanimous Formula

[quote]Some things were thought to be so important to Canada that they could only be changed by having all of the provincial governments and federal government agree. Section 41 describes the types of changes that need agreement from all governments.[3] This includes changing the role of the King or Queen, changing the use of English and French in Canada, or changing the amending formulas themselves. Because all governments need to agree on these issues to change them, it is very unlikely that these changes will ever be made.

So that means that to eliminate the monarchy the proponents would need the approval of 1) the federal Parliament,

2) the Senate, and

3) ALL TEN provincial legislatures.

So yeah - never gonna happen!

by Anonymousreply 86January 27, 2021 12:57 AM

So basically everyone agrees the monarchy is irrelevant and a waste of money (here and in the UK) but we are stuck with the assholes. 👍

by Anonymousreply 87January 27, 2021 5:28 AM

Can we make the GG a volunteer position or pay them a token of a loonie to keep it legal? No salary and no fking pension!! The honour should be enuf for any cunt who wants it.

by Anonymousreply 88January 27, 2021 5:31 AM

R87 Basically, although the monarchy is more irrelevant in Canada on cultural level then in the UK because the royals don't live here. But no one is going to touch the constitution AND if we put aside the whole preposterous heredity nature of monarchy, the system actually works very well. We often think ourselves as a young country, which we are, but we have one of the oldest functioning constitutions in the world dating back to 1867 and haven't had a single constitutional crisis in all that time. It's not a priority for most Canadians and if we're being honest, Canadians are not obsessed about their national identity in the same way Australians or other Commonwealth nations are. We've always been strongly influenced by either the Brits, French or Americans and never given much thought to what a Canadian identity actually is.

by Anonymousreply 89January 27, 2021 6:02 AM

R89 I disagree about the Canadian identity part. It's quite defined by the nature of it being NOT British, French or American but influence by them and used as cautionary tales in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 90January 27, 2021 7:46 AM

R90 But that's not actually not an identity, that's just identifying what we are not. I do agree, however, that moderate anti-Americanism is part of our culture because we feel as though we are a kinder, gentler country to live in (which we are). But speaking as someone born in the mid-60s, the quest from what it means to be Canadian is something that has never really been answered. When I was a kid, English Canada still, even into the early 80s, still had a 'British' feel to it. Since the 90s, I think multiculturalism has basically become the banner of what it means to be Canadian. That fact that we generally do no indoctrinate people with a kind of brainwashing patriotism that frequently happens south of the border. Quebec is the only part of the country, for obvious reasons, that has a very integrated feel to it.

by Anonymousreply 91January 27, 2021 4:15 PM

Read my lips: She's a fucking POLITICIAN...

by Anonymousreply 92January 27, 2021 7:36 PM

[quote]We've always been strongly influenced by either the Brits, French or Americans and never given much thought to what a Canadian identity actually is.

Inviting one of my favorite attributed quotes:

[quote]Canada could have enjoyed: English government, French culture, and American know-how.

[quote]Instead it ended up with: English know-how, got French government, and American culture.

by Anonymousreply 93January 27, 2021 10:19 PM

There are strong whispers in Ottawa that Trudeau has approached Kim Campbell to become Governor General. It's believe Campbell wouldn't serve a full 5 year term, but rather likely serve through the remainder of COVID and through the expected election this year.

by Anonymousreply 94January 28, 2021 5:34 AM

Canada’s what?

by Anonymousreply 95January 28, 2021 5:42 AM

The next GG should be a neurodiverse Trans Indigenous woman.

by Anonymousreply 96January 28, 2021 5:48 AM

Kim Campbell would be an excellent choice!

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2021 6:08 AM

Why are Canadian women from the professional classes so fugly?

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2021 6:10 AM

R93 Would that be the English know-how that had them develop a Covid vaccine in record time and be well ahead of the rest of the world in getting it into the arms of their people? Yeah, who would want that?

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2021 6:13 AM

Record time, just like thalidomide!

by Anonymousreply 100January 28, 2021 6:24 AM

R100 Ooooh, an anti-vaxxer! That's fine, I respect your right. But you're rare on DL, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 101January 28, 2021 8:02 AM

Charles Guiteau has shown us that if you want to be Ambassador to France, you are MOST LIKELY a nut job.

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2021 8:11 AM

Payette doesn't care. She'll get a $150,000 annuity for the rest of her life, like all former Governors General.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2021 8:22 AM

Oh that goddamn white suit with the walmart fitted t-shirt and crotch bunching jeggings. Jesus how embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 104January 28, 2021 12:14 PM

R103 The pension is mandated by constitutional law, so they can't stop her collecting it. Former GGs are also given post-tenure expenses e.g. attending events, paying office staff etc. These expenses are the discretion of the government and it's unlikely Payette will be allowed to collect any.

Stephen Harper once said (and it's virtually the only thing I agree with him on) that GGs should be over the age of 60 when they are appointed so there is a reasonable expectation that they'll retire after their term is up, and probably only be on the public dime for 10 to 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 105January 28, 2021 6:34 PM

R105 I would say over 70, actually. And they should be appointed to 7-year terms. Hearing of the death of a current G-G should be a reasonably regular occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 106January 28, 2021 6:56 PM

R106 I think 65-ish is ideal because the GG still has to undertake a lot of travel both within Canada and abroad. I also think that promoting well-regarded Lieutenant Governors of the provinces into the role of GG is a better idea. That way you're getting someone who has done the 'vice-regal' gig for a while and knows the ropes.

by Anonymousreply 107January 28, 2021 7:04 PM

R107 G-Gs should not be travelling internationally. Who’s gonna pay for that? What duties do they have outside of Canada? None! They get to live in a nice house rent-free for five years, that should be enough for them.

I see your point about promoting good L-Gs but you know this is Canada and you know what's going to happen. It won't be done on merit. Instead, each province will have its turn. Then before you know it, some alcoholic part-time toilet-scrubber from Charlottetown ('Everyone else on the Island was related to the Premier!’) rocks up to Rideau House and doesn’t know which fork to use. Or even how to use a fork. And then she steals the forks. No!

by Anonymousreply 108January 28, 2021 7:37 PM

I get that the GG is entitled to her pension. She is a disgrace though and should have her expense account pulled as she should not be allowed to speak anywhere on Canada's behalf!

by Anonymousreply 109January 28, 2021 7:40 PM

R108 The GG is Canada's [de facto] Head of State, they outrank the Prime Minister. Just as the Queen does for the UK, the GG undertakes state visits aboard (on the advise of the Prime Minister). They also represent Canada at major events such as state funerals, commemorations, memorials etc. In Canada, the Prime Minister's visit abroad tend to get more coverage but there are more political significant, but according to international protocol, a visit by the Governor General is diplomatically significant e.g. the Prime Minister only represents the sitting government, the Governor General is mean to represent the whole state. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it is how the system works. Every country has a head of state, in Canada it's the Queen but because she doesn't live her, it's the Governor General.

by Anonymousreply 110January 28, 2021 8:34 PM

R109 This sounds exactly like what's going to happen. She will get the pension but she's going to be treated like her term never happened and not be allowed any of the allowances and perks of being a former GG.

by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2021 8:36 PM

The Queen is the head of state, R110, the GG is her representative.

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2021 8:36 PM

R112 Isn't that what R110 said? The Queen is Canada's head of state but she doesn't live here, the GG (her representative) is accorded the privileges and responsibilities of that title. When the Governor General travels abroad, foreign governments are aware we are sending the highest office holder and as such, the GG is treated as a of head of state. By convention, the Queen only undertakes state visit on behalf of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2021 8:40 PM

R110 You need to calm down, get a sense of humour. Chillax! I can guarantee you that an international visit by the Canadian Governor General is a disappointment to all but the most woefully uninformed. Whether a visit by a Canadian PM is judged any better, well, the jury is still out.

by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2021 8:40 PM

R110 implied that the GG is the head of state, R113.

[quote] The GG is Canada's [de facto] Head of State,

[quote] Every country has a head of state, in Canada it's the Queen but because she doesn't live her, it's the Governor General.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2021 8:43 PM

R114 No one is saying that the GG undertaking state visits is a thrill! It's protocol, state visit between heads of state occur all the time. Every GG since Mitchener has undertaken about two state visits a year. It's symbolic like inviting your neighbors for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote]Doesn't the GG have to be a Canadian citizen?

We'll be happy to return Ted Cruz to them. With any luck, he'll soon need a job.

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2021 9:28 PM

Canadians!! How about KD Lang for GG? She'd be excellent!

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2021 9:29 PM

Um, perhaps you should refresh your interpretation of "de facto". What r110 said is correct, and not de facto correct.

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2021 9:30 PM

Hasn't this nut-job been removed yet?

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2021 9:36 PM

Sa chatte pue.

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2021 9:44 PM

Son minon pue!!

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2021 9:48 PM

Oops... Minou!! 🐈👃

by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2021 9:49 PM

This woman needs to be told that 40 year olds should have their hair UP.

She is NOT a teenage mymphet!

by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote]Is she a lesbian? (astronaut, extremely private, etc.)

No, just Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 125January 28, 2021 9:59 PM

She is also a bosshole.

by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2021 11:11 PM

No one deserves a 6-figure pension after working in a position for 3 years. Talk about entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 127January 29, 2021 1:43 AM

More sound decision-making by The Hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 128January 29, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote]No one deserves a 6-figure pension after working in a position for 3 years.

Wait, what?

by Anonymousreply 129January 29, 2021 3:15 AM

Ship her to the soylent green factory.

by Anonymousreply 130January 29, 2021 3:27 AM

Just for some clarification, anyone who works in public office (elected politician, senator, Governor General or Lieutenant Governor) gets a hefty (or at least a decent) pension even if you've only held that job for a couple months. For example, say you're elected as MP during a by-election and then six months later there is a general election and you lose, you're still entitled to a $45K/annual pension starting at the age of 55 (55K if you wait until your 65). The longer you're a MP the more you get, and you get higher pensions if you're a in the cabinet, or the Prime Minister (Premiere). Kim Campbell & Joe Clark are likely getting the same annual pension as Payette as was John Turner until he passed last year.

by Anonymousreply 131January 29, 2021 3:47 AM

Sometimes I truly understand why 1/3 of the electorate doesn't bother to vote.

by Anonymousreply 132January 29, 2021 3:54 AM

There have been some discussions over the years about the American system, as our President also functions as head of state and is supposed to host foreign heads of state in formal dinners, etc. Many have felt that this is a disadvantage, because it distracts from the actual governing duties of the President. That's why monarchs are purely symbolic heads of state, while Prime ministers wield the actual power in constitutional monarchies. So the queen of England has visited a zillion podunk countries around the globe, watching native dancers, eating native foods, being gifted with native dress, etc, while the PM is at home in Britain making policy and arguing for its passage in Parliament. When the US makes a state visit to a foreign nation, there is no one minding the store at home, although there are many layers of the executive branch underneath him.

by Anonymousreply 133January 29, 2021 4:18 AM

Off with her head!!

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2021 5:02 AM

Holy shit r131. I didn't realize that 45k/yr was a minimum pension for any service. That is ridiculous! It's actually bordering on irresponsible financial management by the Feds and we should put pressure on them to change their policies. I mean they cut every fking social program whenever they can but this shiz is policy? Fuck that. We pay for that! I am outraged. Now obv. Kim Campbell and Joe Clark have years of public service so no issues with pensions in cases like theirs.

by Anonymousreply 135January 29, 2021 7:30 PM

R133 The American President is effectively an elected, executive monarch. The role of the President was modelled after the King of England back in the 18th century, when the British Monarch actually had political power. Personally, I like the roles of head of state and head of government being separate. It reminds politicians that they merely temporary and that the state is continuing and that there is more to a country than just politics. You a doesn't necessarily need a monarch, Ireland's President is a figure head, Germany's President is also modelled after a constitutional monarch who has reserved powers but is meant to be above politics. Constitutionally, Canada could easy do the same thing by making the Governor General the full head of state, but the amending formula makes that almost impossible.

by Anonymousreply 136January 29, 2021 7:35 PM

R135 The very idea of Kim Campbell, a failed, 6-month PM, as the Queen's representative in Canada is risible. Joe Clark is too good for the job, in my view. He deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 137January 29, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]Joe Clark is too good for the job,

Joe Clark is too OLD for the job.

by Anonymousreply 138January 29, 2021 7:52 PM

I am still alive!

by Anonymousreply 139January 29, 2021 10:43 PM

This might bring back memories for some of you. Back in the day (probably until the late 90s), TV channels used to sign-off after the 11 pm news and then back on again in the morning around 6 am. In the morning they'd play O Canada and at night God Save the Queen. I remember this from the early 90s, when I was on high school. I remember it well becomes during summer holidays hearing God Save the Queen on the TV meant we had to go to bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 30, 2021 6:34 AM

R140 Holy shit! Your parents let you stay up that late?? LUCKY!!!

by Anonymousreply 141January 30, 2021 7:18 AM

So much ridiculousness and corruption in Canada. So many overpaid heads.

Last year, during the height of the pandemic, Justices of the Peace in Ontario quietly got an almost $20,000 raise while many Canadians lost their jobs or had to collect CERB. Twenty-thousand. For what??? Most of them work remotely now and most of their clerks sign their paperwork (who, of course, do not get a $20,000 raise) on their behalf.

by Anonymousreply 142January 30, 2021 7:28 AM

R142 Yes, and Canadians don't seem to mind it. They are so docile it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 143January 30, 2021 8:02 AM

Millionaire actress desperate for an Oscar attacks an old journalist at Variety for sympathy votes.

by Anonymousreply 144January 30, 2021 8:11 AM

Wrong thread sorry

by Anonymousreply 145January 30, 2021 8:12 AM

R143 Yes, Canadians are very odd when it comes to politics. Unlike Americans, we don't have the bizarre notion that we should like our politicians...we hate them all and usually just vote in whomever we hate the least, full expecting that at some point they will fuck us over and that most of their campaign promises will turn out to be lies. That being said, we are 'docile' and often accept things as 'that's just how they are.' That's why things don't change in this country: we desperately need more funding to health care, better wages, housing market regulation etc. It's the truth that the social programs in this country have not changed since the 90s because we just flip flop between Liberal and Conservative governments. While the Liberals have a more progressive social ideology, fiscally they and the conservatives are almost identical....we are effectively a corporate welfare state now.

by Anonymousreply 146January 30, 2021 4:16 PM

"And we should never again have the ostensible head of the country dumped by a gaggle of grumpy stenographers. Personally I wish Mme. Payette well."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147January 30, 2021 5:55 PM

R147 Leave it to Condrad Black. I don't understand why The Post even gives him a platform anymore. He renounced his Canadian citizenship years ago and is a convicted fellon.

by Anonymousreply 148January 30, 2021 8:21 PM

I won't mind when Conrad Black, Rex Murphy, and Don Cherry finally die. The world will be a better place.

by Anonymousreply 149January 30, 2021 8:24 PM

All self-important verbose blowhards.

by Anonymousreply 150January 30, 2021 8:52 PM

I am absolutely fascinated by what Payette actually did. I wish the had security footage. Was the Hannibal Lecter of Canadian politics. Honest to god, people are talking about her as if she was the worst monster in history. I worked for the fed govt of Canada and everyone was stupid and lazy, so maybe she wasn’t used to dealing with morons. Obviously she is not a diplomat, but I would love to have been a fly on the wall....

There is a rumour that she and her secretary who quit at the same time are lovers.

by Anonymousreply 151February 2, 2021 1:26 PM

R151 Well, I'm sure she used to work with HIGHLY competent engineers, scientists, astronauts, etc. in her career, so I think you're probably right. She might not have been able to handle a less rigorous workplace with stupider people!!

by Anonymousreply 152February 2, 2021 1:30 PM

Yes R151 that completely excuses her behaviour! The fat dumb whores in govt were too beneath her, poor Julie with the bad pantsuit.

by Anonymousreply 153February 2, 2021 1:57 PM

What about Tom Jackson or Tantoo Cardinal for GG? Winder if either would accept?

by Anonymousreply 154February 2, 2021 7:13 PM

Tom Jackson would be a mistake. He was a hard core partier back in the day, and I'm sure many people would remember his days long coke binges. I like Tom, but it wouldn't be hard to dig up dirt on him.

by Anonymousreply 155February 2, 2021 8:36 PM

Tantoo Cardinal, Buffy St. Marie, and Murray Sinclair would be excellent choices though, especially Sinclair as he'd be very familiar with the workings of Ottawa.

by Anonymousreply 156February 2, 2021 8:38 PM

Sorry, but I just cannot get over that image of Payette in the totally white pantsuit with the long white overblazer (I don't know that they're called). You may as well put some rhinestones on it and call her Canada's Very Own Rodeo Queen.

Yes, I know she's a lesbian but that is no excuse. She's not even from Western Canada, she's a Quebecoise. Why on earth do Canadian women - except perhaps recent immigrants to Toronto - dress so fucking badly?

And her hair! Don't get me started on her hair. Why do so many Canadian women have this Crystal Gayle 'hair down to my ass' fetish? And why don't they colour it? Go grey, don't go grey - I don't care. But if you're going to have long, frizzy, untamed tresses - can't you at least make those tresses visually appealing? Frizzy is never good, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 157February 3, 2021 6:34 PM

R157 She looks like such fucking white trash. The GG has a stylist on the payroll too.

by Anonymousreply 158February 3, 2021 9:57 PM

French Canadian style is the most horrifying thing on earth. They are white trash, but they latch onto the “French” thing which French Canadian women think connects them somehow to Paris. Therefore, unlike most white trash who wear jeans and t-shirts, Quebec women make extremely unusual choices which they think of as avant-garde or stylish which result in such awesome hideousness that you can’t believe what you are looking at. There should be an anti-Sartorialist website for the women of Quebec.

by Anonymousreply 159February 4, 2021 3:38 AM

Her hair truly is a travesty, w all the money they throw at such an image based role why not hire proper hairdressers (and wardrobe consultants) ?? Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 160February 4, 2021 5:30 PM

Is that insane curly hair for real? She gave a throne speech with about 8 inches of grey roots showing.

by Anonymousreply 161February 4, 2021 5:47 PM

Seems like she's always had curly hair, R161.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 4, 2021 5:49 PM

Was she ever pretty?

by Anonymousreply 163February 4, 2021 5:58 PM

Does she ever wash her hair?

by Anonymousreply 164February 5, 2021 5:24 AM

Wash & set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 5, 2021 5:30 AM

Do you think we will ever learn any of the specifics of what Payette did? Like all the stuff redacted in the report? I am fascinated to know what the hell she said to employees that nearly caused a constitutional crisis. And this latest stuff where there was “unwanted physical contact”—did she punch someone in the face or make a pass at someone or what?

I have to admit I do feel kind of sorry for her. The entire country has piled on.

by Anonymousreply 166February 9, 2021 9:56 AM

R166 Unlikely because making specific accusations public would violate privacy laws because it could link these cases directly back to the specific person made them. Now, if there legal action taken against Payette or her secretary (as being whispered might happen) then we'll probably learn specifics. Given the allegations of temper tantrums and threats of violence, I'm guessing the "unwanted physical contact" were things like grabbing or other threatening postures.

I don't feel sorry for her at all. She's clearly a bully with anger management issues and was ill suited for the job (or any job managing people). Trudeau is ultimately accountable for appointing her to the role however.

by Anonymousreply 167February 9, 2021 4:01 PM

So what's the latest with the GG?

by Anonymousreply 168February 9, 2021 4:15 PM

R168 The Prime Minister's Office has appointed Ian McCowan as the new Secretary to the Governor General. McCowan has a long career as a civil servant and was Secretary of the Privy Council for the last decade. The "hunt" for a new GG is ongoing. The buzz in Ottawa is that Trudeau's office are looking for candidates that have a record of public service (aka proven they won't cause too much trouble). Some of the names being dropped are former Prime Minister Kim Campbell, former Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, and current Ontario Lieutenant Governor Elizabeth Dowdeswell. The only thing that seems certain is that the new GG will be a woman, bilingual and perhaps a more dull (e.g. safe) choice.

by Anonymousreply 169February 9, 2021 6:04 PM

Margaret Trudeau?

by Anonymousreply 170February 9, 2021 6:17 PM

Is J Payette’s life totally destroyed now? I mean, what can she do? She was fired not for making a mistake, but for being a monster. Where does she go from here?

by Anonymousreply 171February 9, 2021 7:55 PM

R171 She's almost 60, has a ton of money and a really great government pension....she doesn't need to work again.

by Anonymousreply 172February 9, 2021 8:34 PM

A lot of STEM people are exhausting and incel types so this isn’t a surprise. Many seek outwardly because they aren’t at peace with themselves.

by Anonymousreply 173February 9, 2021 8:49 PM

She's on easy street. Montreal is still relatively cheap and she can enjoy its charms on her cozy pension for decades to come.

by Anonymousreply 174February 9, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote] The only thing that seems certain is that the new GG will be a woman, bilingual and perhaps a more dull (e.g. safe) choice.

I’m available!

by Anonymousreply 175February 10, 2021 1:46 AM

R174 She has a house in Montreal but I believe she actually spends most of her time at her cottage in the Laurentians. This was one issue that came up when she was GG. She would take off her cottage without telling her RCMP security and they'd have to scramble and get up there and it ultimately cost taxpayers more money.

by Anonymousreply 176February 10, 2021 2:04 AM

I am not losing sleep about pauvre Payette and her unkempt coif.

by Anonymousreply 177February 10, 2021 3:44 AM

Is her hair naturally curly or whatever like that? I can’t tell if it just grows that way or she had some awful procedure done at a salon?

by Anonymousreply 178February 10, 2021 12:16 PM

She seemed ever so nice on her public appearances. It was a shame to discover all of that going on behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 179February 10, 2021 2:56 PM

R179 She really did seem pleasant in interviews and in public. She must be quite an actress.

by Anonymousreply 180February 10, 2021 3:38 PM

R179 never judge a book by it's cover. She is great public speaker and very accomplished but there are clearly mental health issues at play in terms of her anger management. Her behind the scenes reputation for being a total bitch, however, wasn't actually much of a secret. When her appointment as GG was announced, I was working at the University of Ottawa and at least three people I knew who had worked with her had nothing good to say. Really if Trudeau's office had actually checked on her background, she would never have been appointed.

by Anonymousreply 181February 10, 2021 4:30 PM

R181 But I keep thinking, surely NASA would have weeded out a mentally ill candidate, right, of the course of their long training and testing?

Is it true that she was having an affair with the female secretary?

What does she actually do or say to people?

by Anonymousreply 182February 10, 2021 4:40 PM

R182 Well the documented accounts of her having issues with abusive behaviour starts to after her career as an active astronaut ended. Anger management hasn't always been treated as a mental illness and it's possible that when she was younger, she was better able to control herself. I'm guessing that the ending of her career as an astronaut was probably a breaking point for her.

There is a rumour that her secretary was actually her partner, but nothing substantiated.

The allegations are the she verbally assaulted people, belittled them, threatened to fire everyone, ranted and raved. There are also allegations of physical confrontations. The rumour I've heard is that she grabbed an employee's wrist during a confrontation and caused bruising.

by Anonymousreply 183February 10, 2021 4:54 PM

She's pretty par for the course for white women of her status in Canada, they're all bat-shit and entitled beyond all reason.

by Anonymousreply 184February 10, 2021 8:44 PM

R184 what is her status? Just wondered. GG? Astronaut?

by Anonymousreply 185February 10, 2021 10:31 PM

Academics are all mentally ill in some way

by Anonymousreply 186February 11, 2021 3:46 AM

Turns out, as of today’s National Post, that it was the secretary who betrayed/blew the whistle on Payette and turned over documents to investigators. She also lawyered up with Marie Heinin, the scary criminal lawyer. Does this make it more or less likely that she and Payette were lovers? Apparently their friendship ended last year, prior to the betrayal.

by Anonymousreply 187February 11, 2021 2:44 PM

Is Payette a borderline?

by Anonymousreply 188February 11, 2021 2:49 PM

R187 Yeah I believe the gossip about Payetter and her Assistant being lovers was perpetuated by Trudeau hating conservatives (ironically they didn't need to spread any gossip about her because she did a great job at fucking herself over). It appears Payette and this woman were lifelong friends and Payette has twice been married (to men) twice and has a youngish son.

R186 It's true that a lot of academics have terrible people skills.

by Anonymousreply 189February 11, 2021 3:56 PM

Here is the article R187 is referring to. I don't buy that Assunta Di Lorenzo, Payette's assistant, was helping with Payette's downfall because many of the allegations of a toxic work rest on this Assunta Di Lorenzo as well. When Payette resigned, she seem to throw shade at Di Lorenzo by trying to place the blame for the tensions at Rideau Hall on her. I suspect their relationship didn't sour until the contents of the report became clear and that Payette was going to have to resign.

This article to me seems like an attempt by Di Lorenzo to rewrite history slightly to cast herself in a better light. Payette doesn't have to worry because she'll get a cushy pension but Di Lorenzo won't and her professional reputation is now in tatters. Marie Heinin, who is Di Lorenzo's lawyer, often uses Navigator PR for her clients. Navigator is a cesspool firm that only represents people whose reputation are in the toilet (e.g. Jian Ghomeshi). One of the Co-Owners of Navigator sets on the board of Postmedia (which owns the National Post). This appears to be their work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190February 11, 2021 4:15 PM

R190 So were Payette and the secretary lovers?

The head of Navigator has a criminal record for fraud.

by Anonymousreply 191February 11, 2021 5:22 PM

I think this is all such a terrible shame. Payette is such an incredibly accomplished woman, an actual two time astronaut, who could be charming in public. It is all very sad.

by Anonymousreply 192February 11, 2021 5:24 PM

R192 It's proof that mental and emotional problems can affect everyone regardless of their accomplishments.

by Anonymousreply 193February 11, 2021 5:49 PM

I have to say that I agree with all of the previous comments. It's a great shame because she was clearly qualified to be the personification of Canada, and represent The Queen, by virtue of her achievements in space. It's just such a great shame that her behaviour let herself and her office down. It's also a shame as in order to steady the ship of state, a safe pair of hands will have to be drafted in now. I wonder who Trudeau will choose. The former Chief Justice?

by Anonymousreply 194February 11, 2021 5:57 PM

R194 Never mind who Trudeau recommends as GG. When is he going to face facts about his greying hair? The discrepancy between the beard and the hair is embarrassing. Stop dyeing the hair (and kiss your political career goodbye) or shave off the beard, Justin! You're making Canada even more of a laughing stock than it is already. And now I see his is going for the cringey French-Canadian 'long hair on old man' look. Stop it, Justin. Stop it!

by Anonymousreply 195February 11, 2021 7:30 PM

My guess is the replacement will be ole whatsisface, the retired CBC anchor. Mansbridge. It would be against type for Justin to choose a white guy, though.

by Anonymousreply 196February 11, 2021 8:51 PM

That's a good shout R196

Knowing Trudeau though, he'll probably nominate Joni Mitchell or Margaret Atwood or Donald Sutherland or Celine!

by Anonymousreply 197February 11, 2021 10:05 PM

R195 Many men's beards start to grey before the hair on their head. My beard started going grey when I was in my late-20s. That being said, yes Trudeau's hair is look grecian formula black these days.

by Anonymousreply 198February 12, 2021 3:06 AM

Does anyone think she is even slightly good looking?

by Anonymousreply 199February 12, 2021 4:14 PM

No. She always strikes me as erstwhile earth mother type.

by Anonymousreply 200February 13, 2021 4:18 AM

Is there any way she can, with time, rehabilitate herself? Write a book solely about space and preparing to become an astronaut? I know she behaved badly, but it makes me sad to think all of her achievements are being thrown in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 201February 14, 2021 8:43 PM

Reflecting on your post, R201, I can't help but wonder if I speak for Julie Payette when I say take your fucking sympathy and shove it up your pussy ass wussy suck suck suck crybaby fuck hole. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 202February 14, 2021 8:48 PM

R201 in all honesty if she were a man, yes I think she could possibly come back in a few years, but no. I don't expect she'll return to any kind of public role. A terrible person is a terrible person regardless of their achievements.

by Anonymousreply 203February 15, 2021 6:51 PM

Let's get there faster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204February 19, 2021 3:46 AM

I keep thinking about her in the last few days. Normally, politicians are fired for corruption or scandal, but she has had to for being being abusive and horrible, as corroborated by dozens of people. How do you continue with your life after massive publicity about how evil you are? Who will even talk to her from now on?

by Anonymousreply 205February 19, 2021 4:29 AM

R204 I think Canada will eventually ditch the monarchy, but two significant hurdles would have to be overcome.

1) Public apathy: While I think most Canadians would be okay with removing the monarchy, it's not a significant priority. The country runs well, and picking the constitution apart is low on the list. Several Liberal governments since the 70s have toyed with removing the monarchy, and they all concluded it wasn't worth the effort. Also, the provinces would all have to be consulted, which leaders us to the next issue:

2) The Constitution. Removing the Queen and the Governor General (and LGs of the Provinces) requires using the 100% amending formula. That means The Senate, House of Commons, and all ten provincial legislatures (and likely the territorial governments would be consulted, but they are not required because they are agents of the Federal government) with 100% agreement. That means every politician in the country has to agree to do it. If even one says no, the shows off. The history of this is that back in the late 70s, Pierre Trudeau attempted to make the Governor General the co-head of state alongside the Queen and eliminate the Lieutenant Governor positions in the provinces. This infuriated most provincial who saw this as an attempt by the Federal Government to encroach on provincial jurisdictions (which is 100% true). So, in the early 80s, when Trudeau was attempting to get provincial approval for the Charter of Rights, one of the concessions he made (along with the notwithstanding clause) was to make it all but impossible for the Prime Minister to ever make Canada a republic without the provinces being fully involved.

by Anonymousreply 206February 19, 2021 4:55 AM

FFS for all the actual governance the Monarch and the GG and LGs do we could just erect a statue to fking Lady Canada or whatever and wind prayer flags around its base. It's all bullshit. Can't be that hard to replace what exists with some other mechanism.

by Anonymousreply 207February 19, 2021 5:07 AM

Hey, R207 and anyone else who wants to get rid of the GG.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208February 19, 2021 5:36 AM

Leave the Crown as an entity - an historical entity grandfathered in, forevermore a symbol. Moving forward, no one is making agreements with the Crown, they make them with Canada. Doesn't mean all previous agreements are null and void, nor is the Constitution or the Charter under it.

by Anonymousreply 209February 19, 2021 5:55 AM

Doesn't matter, R209, the treaties were made with the crown and those are the basis of what we call Canada today. Without the treaties, there's no Canada. Just as if Alberta wanted to separate, they'd have no land to take with them and the province would dissolve because it is territory on which treaties were signed with the crown.

That is why so many Indigenous rights activists say that Canada is a "legal fiction" (they're not wrong).

by Anonymousreply 210February 19, 2021 6:04 AM

R207 & R209 It's a sad reality of Canada that we know more about the American constitution than we do the Canadian one. So, basically, under the constitution acts of 1867 and 1982, the Crown is Canada, Canada is the Crown. It is the source of our autonomy as a nation and the fount of all executive power. The process of government cannot function without a functioning monarch and GG (even though their powers are primarily rubber stamps).

Back during the Golden Jubilee, a group of academics put forward the notion that after the Queen dies, we keep the Crown but not proclaim Charles King and allow the Governor General to be the full-fledged head of state. This question was 'tested' at the supreme court (tested means you can ask the Justices their opinions on a constitutional matter. It's not a ruling, but a test to see the legality of what you're proposing). It was deemed that the proclamation of a new monarch is a formality, not a legality, that under the constitutions, the principle is "the king is dead, long live the king." So, while in theory, we could keep the Crown but not have a monarch, we would still have to remove the monarch from the constitution through the 100% amending formula and then transfer those powers to the GG (or whoever will represent the Crown in Canada).

The other question is, okay, so you don't want the GG or Queen fine, but who will be head of state? The Prime Minister can't because that's now how parliamentary democracy works because the roles of the head of government (the PM) and the head of state (the Queen/GG) are separate. So the two options are to rewrite the entire constitution, make the Prime Minister a President like the American President, or make the GG head of state but change the name to President as Ireland did. But even then, you still need to use the 100% amending formula, so we're back to square one.

by Anonymousreply 211February 19, 2021 4:23 PM

I am both R207 and r209 and would favour the Irish route and leave the Crown as the entity without the King as Head of State. I for sure think the Head of State should be by appointment by the Privy Council and/or the Senate and should be non partisan. The Head of State should change regularly and should be a Canadian Citizen who resides in Canada. There should also be a provision to remove a Head of State by some mechanism by the same authority that appoints it.

by Anonymousreply 212February 19, 2021 7:53 PM

Can't Canada just say fuck it, and start fresh? Germany and Japan in 1950 surely didn't get there by following whatever legal structures were in place there in 1940. Canada could just declare war on the U.S., lose politely, and get set up the way it wants.

by Anonymousreply 213February 20, 2021 1:26 AM

R212 Sounds great....now all you have to is trigger the 100% amending formula of the constitution act 1982, as R206 outlines, twice: Once to remove the Monarch as head of state and then once again to add the changes for the new head of state.

by Anonymousreply 214February 20, 2021 3:51 AM

I think there is probably appetite to endorse the 100%. In the current state of the world fuckery and with a new Monarch anon now is probably the best time to make this change. Hell, I'll even draft the amendment.

by Anonymousreply 215February 21, 2021 5:07 AM

R215 I highly doubt there is 100% support to remove the monarchy in Canada (Conservative politicians tend to support monarchy, NDP are typically against, and Liberals fall in the middle). If just one MP, MPP, MLA, or Senator votes no, the deal is off. Also the Federal Government and the Provinces have a long and contentious history with constitutional amendments. It took Canadian 40 years to agree to the terms to repatriate Canada's Constitution from the UK and another decade to negotiate the Constitution Act 1982. The Meech Lake Accord (to acknowledge Quebec as a distinct society and also amend the amending formula) fell apart quickly when it came time to vote on it (in NFLD for example, the process was stalled because to MPPs voted against it) and ultimately drove Quebec towards a second referendum in 1995.

Even if every single level of government agrees with 100% agreement to remove the monarchy, the negotiations between the provinces and Ottawa about what to replace it with will take years: it would be like Brexit on steroids honestly in terms of the political divides that would arise: who would be the head of state, what powers would that person have, how would they be selected, what would replace the LGs in the provinces etc. Provinces will also likely take the opportunity to try and increase their sovereignty from Ottawa while Ottawa might try and take over more jurisdictional powers etc. It's very telling that both the Chretien and Martin governments looked into become a republic and everyone expect the ardent anti-monarchist were like never mind.

While I do believe Canada will likely become a republic one day, it's not going to be for a long time. I suspect William will still be King of Canada one day. The obstelces presented by the 100% and 75% amending formulas are why we still have an unelected senate. Everyone hates the senate but no one wants to open the constitution to remove it.

by Anonymousreply 216February 21, 2021 4:32 PM

Trudeau is set to announce how the next Governor General will selected this week. It's sounding like Trudeau is going to go for a bi-partisan selection committee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217February 21, 2021 4:33 PM

Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth as head of state in November, per their Governor General's speech last September.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218February 21, 2021 9:18 PM

R191 wow really?? Unsurprising I guess. They really are in bed with the worst of the worst in Toronto and I suppose beyond, I guess it's super lucrative. Wonder what Jian is up to lately??

by Anonymousreply 219February 21, 2021 10:28 PM

R218 Barbados, like all other Commonwealth Realms except Canada, only require an act of Parliament to abolish the monarchy. Canada is the only country in the Commonwealth that requires a full constitutional amendment. Even the UK would require one act of Parliament.

by Anonymousreply 220February 22, 2021 2:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!