Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Send In The Clowns Thread

Post your favorite performances.

Obsess over the lyrics.

Battle over the Welsh cage death match: Bassey v. Zeta Jones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 21, 2022 11:44 PM

CZJ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2020 12:02 AM

Bernadette Peters.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2020 12:13 AM

Dame Cleo gave us the definitive version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2020 12:14 AM

Krusty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2020 12:39 AM

WAP by Cardi B.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2020 12:54 AM

Florence Henderson and her interpretive dancers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2020 1:18 AM

Dame Judi gives the right amount of damaged for the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2020 1:27 AM

Van Morrison and Chet Baker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2020 2:02 AM

I’m partial to Judy Collins because that’s the first version I knew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2020 2:18 AM

CZJ was atrocious at the Tonys. Bernadette, on the other hand, is fantastic. Find her on YouTube. She also looks fantastic as an added bonus.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2020 2:28 AM

R8 Never heard that version before, I really like it!!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2020 2:35 AM

The song was written for Glynis Johns, who originated the role of Desiree in A Little Night Music. By any reasonable standards, her version should be considered definitive, as all the others are not only covers, but not performed in the context of the show, where the song belongs. Her co-star is Len Cariou. Glynis is still alive, age 90+. Some will also remember her as Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins (the original).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2020 2:38 AM

I’ll always love Sarah Vaughan’s version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2020 3:11 AM

But this may come in a close second

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2020 3:15 AM

Thread closed. Judy Cohen. That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2020 4:57 AM

R15 wins

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2020 5:16 AM

What - is this thread every two fucking weeks? It's like Groundhog Day. It's a hell of a boring song after the second time you've heard it. It doesn't need more than one rendition. But because it is so pretentious and monotonous, my favorite version is by the non singing CHER. She doesn't overdo it, because she can't. But she looked AMAZING back then before I was BORN. The timber of her voice always makes if seem like she feels something when she sings. She doesn't. Doubtful that she even understand the words. It's true. But I saw this version on the last thread about this dumb ass song. When was it - about two weeks ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2020 5:30 AM

Judith Cohen

Other Works

(July 14 to August 9, 1987) She played Alcmene's servant in the musical, "Olympus on My Mind," at the Burt Reynolds Jupiter Theatre in Jupiter, Florida with Alex Daniels (Jupiter); Jason Graae (Mercury); Jacqueline Schultz (Alcmene); Joyce Dewitt and Frank Kopyc in the cast. Barry Harman wrote the book and lyrics. Grant Sturiale was composer.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2020 7:34 AM

Another vote for Glynis Johns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2020 8:43 AM

Nobody can, has, or will EVER top Judi's performance. Sondheim songs can not merely be sung, they must be acted. All of these lounge singer's performances lack the depth that the song needs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2020 9:00 AM

You and everybody else on the planet, R9. Sondheim owes her big-time.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2020 9:13 AM

Good or bad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2020 10:31 AM

I loved the Judy Collins version growing up but never understood the lyrics until I saw Bernadette Peters perform it in a revival of A Little Night Music a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2020 10:52 AM

What is it that all these Judys gravitate to this song?

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2020 12:06 PM

It is a song, it cannot just be acted it must also be sung. Dame Judi is not meeting the moment.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2020 3:05 PM

R22 Her voice is awful but her performance is actually wonderful. She doesn't have the anger that others have when they perform it, but it's replaced with a true deep longing. The regret hangs on every word. Liz was America's last actor with true talent, and when she died so did Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2020 4:36 PM

Fuck yer damn clowns.

Bow before royalty, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2020 6:02 PM

Freddie Mercury instrumental.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2020 6:05 PM

Sondheim teaches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2020 6:09 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2020 6:10 PM

THERE’S.

GOT.

TO BE.

CLOWNS.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2020 6:11 PM

Yes for Glynis and Cleo.

But you may want to consider this.

For a lark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2020 6:15 PM

OOPS. I'm blind.

Good for you, R29.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2020 6:16 PM

Judi Dench knew enough to have Fredrik there. It's a dialogue, and needs to be delivered to someone. Hers is the supreme acted version.

But Bernadette sang it better than anyone, and completely bettered CZJ.

Elizabeth Taylor got it, though one wishes she sang just slightly better.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2020 6:32 PM

I love the disco version Grace Jones did on Portfolio album. Even better than her rendition of Tomorrow from Annie - on the same record.

I envision Sondheim fainting on hearing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2020 6:33 PM

Why was the melancholy circus clown trope so big in the 60s/70s? Everyone seemed to have those creepy sad Hobo Joe paintings in their homes.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2020 6:41 PM

The first version I ever heard was Carol Burnett’s.

I didn’t like it because I didn’t understand it and it seemed the least funny sketch she’d ever done.

I was seven. I still remember it clearly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2020 6:42 PM

Dame Judi for the win. It's certainly the best-acted, if not the best sung (although the way she gets her voice to crack on "Sorry, my dear" is quite moving). The performance is improved by the dialog just before the song and in the middle. Context is all!

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2020 6:48 PM

Ennui, R36.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2020 7:50 PM

Perry Como’s version, if you suffer from insomnia:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2020 9:22 PM

Dame Angela's version, abridged but still moving.

I think poor CZJ was in a manic high at The Tonys, hence her overwrought performance. Did anyone see her and Angela when they did the show together? How were they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2020 9:37 PM

R38 totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2020 9:38 PM

R37, I miss shows like that. SNL once was able to let melancholy show up a little.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2020 12:13 AM

Here’s my newest obsession: Jackie Trent. Her voice is beautifully deep and smoky. The arrangement is a little all over the place, but the bridge is lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2020 12:43 AM

CZJ was quite good in person. That Tony performance was nothing like what she did eight times a week. She had glamor and a charming coarseness, but maybe the pain was only a flesh wound.

Bernadette nailed it. She was still at the height of her talent, but showed just how tired Desiree is of her theatrical routine. When the extremely talented Fredrik (Alexander Hanson) left her, it wasn’t clear anyone would be there next year.

Stretch versus Lansbury was also fascinating. Angels had her routine down flawlessly. Stritch didn’t have her lines or lyrics, but was the kind of actress who would not move until an organic moment was there. Hence, “Liaisons” lasted six minutes.

The real failures were the dreary set, the tiny orchestra, and a Charlotte who astonishingly managed to find a way to make that character both unfunny and unsympathetic. If Natasha Richardson has not died, we might have seen a new production worthy of the material.

by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2020 12:56 AM

CZJ and Michael Douglas were as shocked as the rest of us to win the Tony.

But she was charming as hell in her speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2020 1:03 AM

R37 Marilu Henner per chance?

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2020 1:33 AM

How DARE you bitches not mention ME in this thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2020 2:30 AM

I don't think CZJ was shocked to win, if you watch knowing what we know now she is clearing unbalanced that night.

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2020 5:58 AM

R48 The child viewers no doubt had nightmares about Liberace and that skeletal clown for years to come.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2020 6:05 AM

I love the singer at R29, so sweet

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2020 6:12 AM

Barbara Cook, at 82 years of age, singing "Send In the Clowns" in SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2020 11:47 AM

Any more reviews on Angie and CZJ when they were on stage?

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2020 3:10 PM

She's adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2020 8:03 PM

R9 It's funny, I was a young adult when Judy's version came out and I kind of ignored it. Listening now, I find it gorgeous.. It's nice to hear the song beautifully sung, rather than theatrically "interpreted" as all these older actresses do it. Same reason I like the young singer at R29.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2020 12:50 AM

R66 it's Judi

by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2020 8:36 AM

R56, I think R55 means Judy Collins.

by Anonymousreply 57August 21, 2020 3:12 PM

I do mean Judy Collins. I tried listening to Dame Judi and.....well, that's what I mean about "interpretations."

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2020 3:14 PM

I remember being fascinated by the Judy Collins version as a 13 year old.

It wasn't played on my local radio stations, but I heard it on the Casey Kasem American Top 40 show, because it spent a few weeks in the lower reaches of the Billboard top 40 in 1975. (A couple of years later, it made the top 40 again, and charted significantly higher than it had initially. Not sure why it was re-released, or what led to the resurgence.)

It was so different from everything else that was out at the time, and the lyrics were fairly enigmatic. I had no idea it was from a musical, or that Sondheim wrote it, or even who Sondheim was, for that matter. I just thought it was a very unique piece of music, and that it was beautifully sung by Judy.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2020 12:02 AM

There is a somewhat rare Angela version on the disc A STEPHEN SONDHEIM EVENING, which is a live recording of a small-ish off-broadway compilation show from the late 70s, I think. Angela sings SITC at the end with Sondheim accompanying her. She sounds great and it's neat that Sondheim plays for her.

For those who know the album, Liz Callaway sounds incredible in a "Miller's Son" rendition and there is a terrific "Someone in a Tree" as well. And some cut songs from FORUM that are cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2020 12:45 AM

It was a one-performance concert at the Whitney museum in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2020 12:53 AM

Angie sounds great in that version. She would have made a good Desiree

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2020 10:28 AM

It was also an unusual choice for Judy Collins herself at the time, since she was then still pretty solidly a folkie. That’s part of what made her version interesting for me.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2020 5:05 PM

Johnny Hartman’s live recording is one of my favorites with its graceful swooping vocals and stuttering violin.

Melancholy and solitary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2020 6:01 PM

It needs a shookie shookie beat...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2020 6:07 PM

Judy Collins, on her album "Strangers Again," revisits SITC and does it as a duet with - are you ready - Don "American Pie" McLean.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2020 10:29 AM

I love the version that Judy Collins rerecorded in 1977—more dramatic and less languid than the 1975 version at R9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 8, 2021 6:19 AM

I vote for Judy Collins. also, her version of Both Sides Now makes me cry, it really gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 68April 8, 2021 6:37 AM

[R17] Many thanks for posting that. I have never heard it before, had no idea it even existed. Loved it. Now my favourite version of an over done, tedious, pretentious theatre song. Always sung with intense personal feeling and knowing that makes me puke sometimes. Think your critique of it absolutely nailed it. Agreed with everything you said about the song and Cher’s ‘interpretation’. We’ve all had 40 years of Cher being Cher and love her for it. This made me re evaluate a bit. Made me see why she altered our perceptions of beauty because she was simply stunningly beautiful. Stick Cher amongst the serious folk and you’d think she’d fall on her arse but she never does. Like her acting. In Tea with Mussolini with all those heavy weights, she comes out fine. In a sea of pretentiousness I enjoyed this one.

by Anonymousreply 69April 8, 2021 9:29 AM

R29 weirdly, that young lady’s version is my favorite.

For most of my life, I misheard the line as “they’re all tippy clowns.” Like those big clown balloons that you punch and try to tip over.

by Anonymousreply 70April 8, 2021 9:45 AM

[quote]CZJ was quite good in person. That Tony performance was nothing like what she did eight times a week. She had glamor and a charming coarseness, but maybe the pain was only a flesh wound.

She was great in the show and deserved her Tony. You can tell her voice was raspy on The Tonys and didn't feel well and she acted the hell out of it but it was far from a disaster. If she had canceled, she would have been attacked too. But of course Sondhemites will never accept anyone but Johns anyway. they will never be pleased

by Anonymousreply 71April 8, 2021 10:06 AM

Randy Rainbow knows all of your names!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 8, 2021 10:19 PM

Well, I watched that whole god damned show and there wasn't one fucking clown!

by Anonymousreply 73April 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Is Cher at r17 actually good? I assume it's a joke that people think it's great.

by Anonymousreply 74February 21, 2022 11:40 PM

One of the worst songs ever

by Anonymousreply 75February 21, 2022 11:42 PM

Shirley Bassey is 85, that's four times my age! Imagine that?

by Anonymousreply 76February 21, 2022 11:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!