Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Food Are You Craving Right Now?

I'm craving banana bread. I'm probably the only person in the United States of America who didn't make banana bread during quarantine.

I'm also craving Osso Buco.

If I could make one of these two magically appear right now it would be the Osso Buco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2020 10:42 PM

Prime rib washed down with a single malt, peaty scotch, neat, at my favorite place in SF

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2020 10:35 PM

Straw and hay pasta, but made with Italian sausage instead of proscuitto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2020 10:38 PM

Grilled salmon, baked potato, asparagus.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2020 10:40 PM

Fancy Feast wild Alaskan salmon pate.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2020 10:42 PM

Raspberry bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2020 10:49 PM

A light, perfectly creamy turnip soup. I must be getting ready for Fall flavors.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2020 10:50 PM

Syracuse salt potatoes dipped in melted butter

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2020 10:59 PM

This comes closest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2020 11:02 PM

Chinese food from my favorite restaurant in the city, but the last 2 times I got food there, it was different. They must have a new chef. The spices in the sauce aren’t right & the beef is tough & chewy. I Iive on Long Island now & refuse to eat Chinese food here. Every time someone says “Oh the food is good at (names a Chinese restaurant on Long Island)” I know it’s shit because I used to try all the restaurants where people claimed the food was good & it was garbage.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2020 11:08 PM

Yes! r5. Very addictive stuff.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2020 11:23 PM

Cantaloupe.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2020 11:31 PM

R9 It’s hard to find good shredded beef! I crave it on occasion but it’s never as good as I remember it being. The saucy should be spicy and I like it with carrots, celery and scallions.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2020 1:55 AM

Buttercream frosted layer cake..cold so the frosting is hard

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2020 1:57 AM

Mexican restaurant white cheese dip with chorizo

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2020 2:00 AM

Very strangely r12, the restaurant I get mine from has almost completely stopped using celery. And as you say, it’s not spicy enough.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2020 2:00 AM

Chili’s chips and salsa

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2020 2:00 AM

Soup dumplings from Din Tai Fung.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2020 2:12 AM

Orange merange pie

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2020 2:53 AM

R18 You must have seen the other post with the picture. It looks good but I’ve never had it.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2020 4:00 AM

R9: if it's the dish I'm thinking of the beef isn't supposed to be super tender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2020 4:30 AM

Kraft macaroni and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2020 4:34 AM

PHO!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2020 9:20 AM

Avocado!

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2020 9:25 AM

Wuhan bat stew. The aromatic broth seems to clear my covid clogged sinuses.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2020 9:47 AM

Homemade macaroni and cheese. All I need are the noodles. Also was hankering for chocolate cake, so I baked one tonight and decorated it with a powdered sugar stencil design.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2020 10:23 AM

Tacos al pastor & a Coke! Basically anything that’s bad for me.

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2020 7:26 PM

Truthfully, a Subway seafood (fake crab) sandwich with tons of mustard, pickled peppers & jalapeños, etc. I recently cleaned out my fridge, including the door (condiments), saw a bottle of French's mustard, and started craving this sandwich.

Or, in the alternative, a banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich), lemon grass tofu, lots of sriracha sauce.

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2020 7:44 PM

beans

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2020 7:46 PM

Watermelon

by Anonymousreply 29September 8, 2020 8:15 PM

Ever since I posted Mr. Submarine on "Food that tastes like 1974", I"ve had a horrible craving for it. I even drew up a list yesterday listing ingredients to get this week to do a replica. Won't be close to the original, but...one can dream.

Option #2 would be filet mignon - rare- even though I'm technically a vegetarian. Again, impact of 1974 food thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 8, 2020 8:49 PM

Perfectly pan-seared scallops.

by Anonymousreply 31September 8, 2020 9:07 PM

Fried chicken - not the KFC stuff, but really well-seasoned fried chicken

by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2020 9:10 PM

I really want a chocolate creme filled donut from Dunkin Donuts

by Anonymousreply 33September 8, 2020 9:18 PM

Pity my wretched soul...Krispy Kreme raspberry filled doughnut, warm, and the cream filled ones (I think they have a circular doughnut with cream inside the loop). I’d also like a sandwich called a “North End”, a big soft roll stuffed with all sorts of Italian cold cuts and provolone cheese with lettuce and chopped pickle and hot peppers and dressed with oil and vinegar. I’d also like some chocolates from Petrossian. And a case of savory charcuterie from D’Artagnan. And maybe some of those toffe-Ettes from Sees Candy. And some baklava. As you may see, I’m craving carbs but can’t have them except on cheat days. I’m trim now but it’s been a real bitch getting fit. Don’t get old.

by Anonymousreply 34September 9, 2020 1:49 AM

Half a Tic-Tac and a finger down my throat.

by Anonymousreply 35September 9, 2020 2:07 AM

OP: The Kiffness, on YouTube, has a video that'll fill your bill.

"I get locked down, I want banana bread....."

I've been craving some of my faves from Ponzio's in Cherry Hill, NJ. I understand they have just re-opened, maybe I'm in luck so I can get some: beef barley soup; roast pork; chicken potpie; lima bean soup; mashed turnips and carrots; baked spinach. Not forgetting their terrific eclairs or napoleons for dessert.

Barring that, the linguini with olive oil and garlic from Tarantella's in Medford, NJ. Yes, it's THAT good, and worth the 30 or so minutes to get there.

Anyone got the jones for bread pudding? Please, don't throw things.

by Anonymousreply 36September 9, 2020 2:52 AM

Steak & Lobster!

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2020 5:12 AM

OYSTERS !!!!

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2020 5:13 AM

Diet Coke from the fountain, over ice!

An Arnold Palmer iced tea

A matcha lemonade

A watermelon strawberry smoothie with a hint of mint

Copious amounts of ICY WATER

So thirsty. I am a cottonmouth queen.

by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2020 5:27 AM

Paglia e fieno con prosciutto e piselli per r2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2020 6:10 AM

[quote]A matcha lemonade

Oooh I never had that! Sounds delish!

by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2020 7:17 AM

R41, available at Starbucks and really, really good and refreshing. I order mine with light ice.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2020 2:10 AM

r42 I'll try to make my own healthy version. Starbucks's must be loaded with sugar and other undesirables.

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2020 6:04 AM

R41/43, yes, Starbucks' version contains sugar because unsweetened matcha tastes like pond scum and unsweetened lemonade is incredibly sour. I'm afraid there's no way to successfully DIY, and if there is, you'd have to try the original version first for reference.

It's still not like getting a fatty, syrupy, sugary cholesterol-laden frappucino, but if you tried a small or medium-sized matcha lemonade at Starbucks just to see whether or not you like it, that wouldn't set you back much money.

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2020 6:40 AM

r44 I think I will give it a try! It's all I can think about now. Unfortunately there are no 24hr Starbucks near me :(

Tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2020 6:43 AM

I used to work at starbucks when I was in college.

It's half iced green tea--I think they use the one with mint if I remember correctly--half prepared lemonade, green tea is made by steeping for no more than four minutes. A timer was set four four minutes and attached to the jug. It was sweetened per drink order. Use a simple syrup to sweeten it. Lemonade should have enough acidity to prevent the syrup from making the drink taste cloyingly sweet.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2020 7:14 AM

Right now? Either Salisbury Steak with mushroom gravy, or meatloaf. But it's 5am in the morning, so that's not happening. No telling what I'll wind up settling for.

This 'stuck awake at night' shit is for the birds.

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2020 9:59 AM

I would love a mustang............or the new f-150 truck..............the new lincoln navigator and continental are exquisite too..........

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2020 10:02 AM

r48.........oops I thought OP said FORD.............

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2020 10:03 AM

Cranachan. But I crave that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2020 10:08 AM

Whatever you're eating now.

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2020 10:19 AM

I am craving Mexican food.

Carne Asada tacos in a hard shell with a side of rice and beans.

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2020 10:25 AM

Help! I need inspiration for takeout tonight, no current cravings. I have access to just about all cuisines, but I am out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 53September 11, 2020 11:39 AM

R53, Indian is good but only if you know what to order. Selection is a big deal. If I were you I'd go with an order of Malai Kofta, a Palak Paneer, 2 plain, buttered naan bread and 2 raita (dipping for bread).

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

by Anonymousreply 54September 11, 2020 7:33 PM

Scallion pancake

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2020 8:03 PM

^^^^

And dumpling sauce

by Anonymousreply 56September 12, 2020 8:04 PM

Congee

by Anonymousreply 57September 12, 2020 8:04 PM

Lasagne. I'm eating at an Italian restaurant tonight. Outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 58September 12, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote] Starbucks' version contains sugar because unsweetened matcha tastes like pond scum and unsweetened lemonade is incredibly sour. I'm afraid there's no way to successfully DIY, and if there is, you'd have to try the original version first for reference.

Yes, matcha is unbearably bitter without sugar (just like chocolate & cranberry juice). However, Starbucks puts too much sugar in their matcha stuff. I like the matcha lattes (both hot and frozen). It's been a while since I drank either, but both have too much sugar. And I like candy, cupcakes, and sweet stuff in general.

by Anonymousreply 59September 12, 2020 8:10 PM

I’ve been on Jenny Craig since May 1st. I miss everything

by Anonymousreply 60September 12, 2020 8:13 PM

I'm the one who posted about the Subway seafood (fake crab) sandwich upthread. I did get to somewhat quench that craving. Guess what, they changed the formula of that sandwich. It's OK, but not how I remembered. I don't think I'll ever order that sandwich again.

I also got to quench my craving for Carr's lemon ginger cookies. Guess what, formula changed on that as well.

I went shopping the day before yesterday. I guess I have to actually cook now.

by Anonymousreply 61September 12, 2020 8:18 PM

I made a pot of pasta sauce rustic style can't wait to have it later over penne.

by Anonymousreply 62September 12, 2020 8:18 PM

What makes it "rustic style," r62?

by Anonymousreply 63September 12, 2020 8:20 PM

R63 It's a chunky sauce I used ground pork in chunks, red and green peppers chunks, same for onions.

by Anonymousreply 64September 12, 2020 8:28 PM

It sounds wonderful, r64.

by Anonymousreply 65September 12, 2020 8:29 PM

I'm so hungry for a good ol' southern meal of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, black-eyed peas, sweet potatoes, green beans, creamed corn, cornbread and iced sweet tea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 12, 2020 8:50 PM

I like collard greens, R66. Got to try them at a soul food restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 67September 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Red & green peppers in pasta sauce = Midwest

by Anonymousreply 68September 12, 2020 9:02 PM

Dim sum. Although there are a few places it can be ordered out here, it's just not the same, especially eating it alone.

by Anonymousreply 69September 12, 2020 9:02 PM

R69, I love dim sum as well. You could probably get some frozen mini bao buns (depending on where you live). I've been on a seafood shumai (frozen) phase lately. IMO, this is similar to what you'd get at a dim sum restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 70September 12, 2020 9:06 PM

R65 It was wonderful I'm glad I used ground pork instead of beef the flavor was better.

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2020 12:34 AM

Pasta bolognese and a glass of wine.

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2020 12:50 AM

R61, don't you just hate when they do that? Almost every major American brand of candy (Snickers, Twix, M&ms, Kit-Kat, Reese's, Milky Way, Almond Joy) has changed recipes and ingredients since the nineties. And the changes were NOT improvements at all; quite the opposite. Candy bars were way fucking better last century and at the beginning of the 2000s, before companies changed and cheapened the ingredients in their products.

I don't even eat candy but back when I'd have it once every other year or so, it was actually pretty good. Now? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2020 9:43 PM

Not a food .. it doesn't even have any calories. But I was craving some Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper. I had to go to six stores over the last three days to fiinally find some. I bought the last four, 2L bottles that store had.

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2020 9:53 PM

New Jersey crumb cake

by Anonymousreply 75September 13, 2020 10:12 PM

R74, that shit is SO strong.

by Anonymousreply 76September 13, 2020 10:36 PM

R76 I only drink the diet version, and I don't find it excessively strong, but I will say, I pour it over lots and lots of ice in a tall glass.

by Anonymousreply 77September 13, 2020 10:52 PM

R74/77, I've only ever had the diet version of cherry Dr. Pepper and it has a hard bite to it. I'd imagine that drinking it with a lot of ice helps temper the intense flavor.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2020 3:47 AM

Warm Sourdough Bread and Salted Butter!

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2020 3:55 AM

A bowl of Jets cereal and milk. Unfortunately, General Mills stopped making it about 50 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2020 4:04 AM

R61 R73 I feel like this is a conversation I would like some prominent figure to begin. So many junky foods have been remade into something even worse. SO many. It kind of makes me laugh reading that 1974 thread because I bet a lot of that stuff was so much better than the modern day versions.

Just as an example Kraft singles (regular kind) are fucked here in Canada as of a few years ago. They stopped using a certain preservative (in order, as far as I can tell, to print "preservative free" on their packaging) and they've lost everything that made you want to eat them. They're thin now, and sticky - they stick to the wrappers and they stick to your fingers. They don't taste as good and homemade cheeseburgers are noticeably lesser. Kraft is actually a terrible company for this, what they did to Cadbury's chocolate in the UK is a scandal.

I honestly wish some New Yorker hack would write the long read on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2020 5:24 AM

Burger King Bacon King, fresh good quality bread and cultured European butter, Victoria sponge (with buttercream and jam, sorry I'm a philistine), tortilla chips queso guac salsa, toasted and buttered bagels, carbs I miss u

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2020 5:27 AM

R53 here, so I decided to eat chinese sesame noodles, and pork soup dumplings (xlb). It definitely hit the spot, the noodles were superb, chewy and lightly coated not in a gloppy sauce, the dumplings pleasantly porky, I would have liked a touch of crabmeat but the option wasn’t on the menu. One of the better meals I’ve had in a couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2020 11:25 AM

r81 - Spot on with regard to the disgusting, cheap, untasty Kraft Cheddar Cheese **thick** slices. Not only do they taste like....nothing resembling food, they do stick to your fingers (almost a solid-gooey like substance) and are not thick - they are **think.** I stopped buying it.

I think the difference between food back in the 70s and now is a very valid point of enquiry - observation, and incredibly worthy of further research, analysis and exposition of what is actually going on in (the techno processing world of) food making in U.S., Canada or anywhere for that matter. Other examples, albeit not as striking as Kraft Thick Cheese slices, are Thrills gum, something I used to love in the 70s. Bought the same pack a year ago, and it bore zero taste to the original. In fact, I brought it back to the store and very calmly, jokingly described the new flavour. Long story short, I just left the newly bought packets of Thrills with the clerk. For a **nostalgia** store, it sure wasn't thrilling.

I can't seem to find really good Chamomile tea (commercially mass produced). I won't elaborate but I've noticed the quality is not there anymore either. I'm sure others can add to this topic.

Food package sizing tendss (smaller but same if not higher cost) is another example of "cost cutting" in the food industry which I know has been covered in great detail in other threads, posts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2020 10:34 PM

r84 - Also Canadian here.

by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote]and are not thick - they are **think.** I stopped buying it.

are not thick - they are **thin**. I stopped buying it.

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2020 10:37 PM

I'm oh hour 21 of a 24 hr fast. Everything listed here sounds delicious

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2020 10:40 PM

R9, do you remember Homers in Massapequa back in the late 1970 early 80s? The food was so good. I'm in Central Fl and I haven't found even mediocre Chinese here.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2020 10:43 PM

R84 thank you for discussing this with me! No one else seems to want to and all think I'm weird for thinking about it but honestly I find it fascinating. I haven't had Thrills gum since the 80s when it still tasted like soap (which is why we bought it, because gum that tastes like soap was weird and entertaining) - is that messed up now, too?

You know I left out the biggie as well, sort of the Cadbury's chocolate of Canada in terms of being an actual food icon of a country and that's... KD. Also different. Flavour is different, noodles are different. Kraft again.

I understand there is no underlying conspiracy to turn us all into zombies via convenience food but the idea that these iconic foods are no longer the thing they were interests me. The packaging is the same, in some ways the emotion is the same, and we're in many cases being openly sold nostalgia for our own childhoods by companies who know exactly what they're doing. Sizes changing is another part of this tale. Everyone knows they're doing this, many companies will, rather than deny it, explain it as a cost-cutting measure (or profit-increasing measure, which does seem to be what it is) and there's just...no comment. Is this not worthy of discussion? Is it not symbolic of something, of the age? Of where we are? Perhaps the not really seeing it as even worthy of discussion is part of the story.

Also, how odd to be looking back on *junk* food as some old-timey better version of what it now is - legitimately so because at one point many of them WERE better than they are now. We've got, like, hyper junkfood now.

Anyway I really wish Eric Schlosser or someone would tackle this.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2020 5:37 AM

If I’m honest...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2020 7:04 AM

Anchovies, I eat them right from the jar

by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2020 7:27 AM

No one has mentioned cheesy cock?

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2020 7:32 AM

r92 I take mine without cheese.

by Anonymousreply 93September 15, 2020 8:02 AM

pistachios - I can't get enough of them lately.

by Anonymousreply 94September 15, 2020 1:50 PM

I keep seeing pizza adverts everywhere (TV, articles, etc) and it's driving me nuts. What I'd give for a pizza loaded with cheese pizza, the works.

by Anonymousreply 95September 15, 2020 1:54 PM

I haven't had Turkish food in a while, and as a result I've been thinking about chicken hunkar begendi a lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 15, 2020 2:00 PM

I crave any food. Please.

by Anonymousreply 97September 15, 2020 3:02 PM

I had soup dumplings from Din Tai Fung the other night R17! Not to rub it in..

by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2020 3:47 PM

R96 I love Turkish food. I’m going to make chicken hungar bebendi tonight thanks to you. I’m grilling the eggplant now.

by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2020 6:05 PM

R99 - you're making me jealous

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2020 1:04 AM

Pussy

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2020 10:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!