Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lovecraft Country

Anyone watching?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 20, 2020 2:25 PM

Jurnee Smollett, brother of hate crime hoaxer Jussie Smollett, says HBO’s latest racially charged drama, Lovecraft Country, is a fictional reflection of a segregation and Jim Crow-era America that black people “are still on that quest today in 2020” to overcome.

“[Racism] is sometimes even more of a threat because it’s unexpected,” Jurnee Smollett said on a Television Critics Association panel discussing the HBO series, which is set in 1950s. The J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele-produced drama sees black characters face racism while battling the fictional creatures and monsters of Marc Ruff’s famous fiction novel. “It affects your livelihood and it affects you on every single level.”

“Our heroes essentially are going on a quest to bring down White supremacy,” Smollett said. “We are still on that quest today in 2020 as Black Americans. Racism is such a demonic spirit — it’s something that we are still fighting off.”

Writer and executive producer Misha Green adapted Matt Ruff’s book for HBO. Green said the Lovecraft monsters are symbolic to her of the racism still present in the world. “For me, genre works best when it is the metaphor on top of the real life emotions that you explore,” Green said.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2020 2:19 AM

The Smolletts are insufferable.

Something to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2020 2:24 AM

Just finished it. I didn't like it quite as much as I wanted to. I couldn't help but compare it to the Watchmen and the writing was not as sophisticated.

Still, definitely on board for more.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2020 2:30 AM

It's pretty heavy handed. On the [italic]same[/italic] trip they main characters are shot at and chased by car by rednecks in one Midwestern town (for daring to eat at a diner in a downtown), and then humiliated by a sheriff in a Massachusetts county he declares a "sundown county"?

In just [italic]one[/italic] car trip both these super-dramatic racist things happen?

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2020 3:33 AM

I lasted ten minutes. It needs subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2020 3:36 AM

So far it's pretty exposition heavy.

I liked the acting.

I liked the interplay between the two sister characters.

I liked Atticus's (anachronistically) enormously muscular, defined torso.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2020 3:51 AM

R2 I figured as much when I saw this person's parents spelled their name phonetically. It's always an indicator of ignorant parents. And while it isn't the fault of the child, one can easily change these things.

I like the word "journey", but spelling it "Jurnee" sucks all of the life and potential out of it. Of course, these same people named their son "Jussie".

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2020 3:59 AM

I like that actress.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2020 4:09 AM

I love Jurnee. She always has a place in my heart after Friday Night Lights. I’ll be watching for her.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2020 4:12 AM

[quote] On the same trip they main characters are shot at and chased by car by rednecks in one Midwestern town (for daring to eat at a diner in a downtown), and then humiliated by a sheriff in a Massachusetts county he declares a "sundown county"?

PLUS, the white guy in the Buddy Holly glasses at the beginning of the trip making monkey noises to harass Atticus.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2020 4:25 AM

Why us every tv show so black now. Enough with the virtue signalling, Hollywood Jews! Whites are the majority in this country and don’t give a shit about all this.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2020 4:29 AM

I thought it was great.

It was shot wonderfully.

It did a great job of showing us that the group aren't just scared of actual monsters but sometimes the people are monsters as well.

Reminded me a lot of "True Blood's" earlier seasons. (Which Jurnee was also on.)

Definitely ready to watch more.

I actually have the book this is all based on but I haven't read it yet.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2020 5:06 AM

Boring.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2020 5:49 AM

It was incredible.

No offense, I enjoyed the hell out of Perry Mason, but HBO is definitely providing quality entertainment even after Game of Thrones. Or as John Oliver said, their "dragon based economy" seems to be flourishing without the dragons.

As for Miss "La-Dee- Dah The Names Speak For Themselves, My Gracious!" upthread, you truly are the epitome of this era. Someone whose bigotry-laced idiocy is indistinguishable from outright satire.

You might as well have signed your thread like "Dee dee Plorable," the person who did satirize you.

And you kind of did. And it was kind of funny.

I know I'm not supposed to laugh at unfortunate, but I'm not a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2020 6:43 AM

Definitely going to watch this, sounds right up my street

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2020 9:59 AM

Watched it. Enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to the rest of it, though right now it's hard to understand where it's going. There's a mystery at the heart of it and I'm curious to see it revealed. Good special FX, too.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2020 10:49 AM

Terrific first episode.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2020 11:06 AM

jeez, could they have cast an uglier actor?

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2020 11:19 AM

Just watched the first episode and loved every second of it. The lead is HOT! And IMO the show did a good job introducing the characters and actually caring for them. I guess the bar owner (who got the blow job from some random guy) was just a one off.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2020 12:20 PM

R7 "Jussie" is named Justin. Jussie is his nickname.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2020 12:45 PM

Why are they appropriating the work of white people? HP Lovecraft and Matt Ruff are both whites. Why are they telling stories written by Blacks? Don't silence their voices.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2020 12:49 PM

Another race bait show. I’ll pass. How woke is HBO going to get?

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 12:56 PM

I loved the book. Really enjoyed the first episode but it felt a little too stylized. It matches the book tone, but on screen I think I'd prefer it to be a tad grittier.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote]Another race bait show.

Afraid of having something challenge your perception of America? Bet you don't even have HBO anyway, Dee. Go twist your nipples elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote] —Concerned

r21 = Susan Collins

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2020 3:50 PM

Didn't know this show was already airing. The promos looked promising and I like supernatural dramas (still missing True Blood)

Hope this show delivers and I'll be a fan 😉

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2020 4:51 PM

R4 and R10, white people like you are really annoying. If you'd bother to educate yourselves on what life was like for black people in the Jim Crow South, you wouldn't be so skeptical about how much racism these characters encountered. My family was from rural Louisiana and my grandmother and my mother could tell you Gothic horror stories about it.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2020 1:16 AM

How does it compare to the book? I started reading the book last year but it didn't click with me and I never finished it.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2020 1:24 AM

I'm intrigued by the show, but I'm not a big fan of Lovecraftian horror. I'll stick with it until I get bored.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2020 3:19 AM

I'm fucking confused. So they just wrote a random unrelated tv show and tossed in creatures invented by a popular cult writer (and slapped said cult writer's name onto the show's title)?

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2020 11:16 PM

R30, Lovecraft Country is a novel. The series is based on it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2020 11:19 PM

r2, don’t be a racist bitch! Jurnee shouldn’t be held accountable for her grown brother’s alleged misdeeds.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2020 11:24 PM

I like that actress.

She was in "Eve's Bayou" and was a pretty good kid actor; I love that movie - it's so beautiful

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2020 11:33 PM

Jesus this site has gotten so racist, it's impossible to ready any thread without being disgusted by you white supremacist fucks anymore -- sorry there are black people, go stick your heads up your lonely asses and die please

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2020 11:41 PM

r34, this site is great at reminding us that there are racists within the LGBTQ community which is astounding and very sad when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2020 11:54 PM

H.P. Lovecraft was a notorious racist. It's not random for his work to inspire a show that focuses on racism.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2020 11:57 PM

Interesting juxtaposition between the monsters that lurk in the dark and the ones that strut around in broad daylight.

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote] I'm fucking confused. So they just wrote a random unrelated tv show and tossed in creatures invented by a popular cult writer (and slapped said cult writer's name onto the show's title)?

That's a really weird and ungenerous way to put it.

First of all, the show is based on a novel by Matt Ruff, who is far from the first writer to contribute to what is called 'the Cthulhu mythos," fiction writings that continue to discuss the mythopoetics started by H. P. Lovecraft involving the god Cthulhu and the other elder gods he created. This started with writers like August Derleth even decades and decades ago when Lovecraft was still alive--many fantasy writers have written about the mythology he invented.

Ruff got the title from the fact that writers who work in the Cthulhu mythos often refer to the sections of New England that feature heavily in Lovecraft's work as "Lovecraft Country."

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote] If you'd bother to educate yourselves on what life was like for black people in the Jim Crow South, you wouldn't be so skeptical about how much racism these characters encountered.

Oh I would have believed it had they indeed been traveling through the Jim Crow South. As I made quite clear, I was talking about events that happened [bold]in the Midwest and New England[/bold] as they drove from Chicago to Massachusetts (which did not take them anywhere near the Jim Crow South). You just didn't bother to read my post attentively.

Read more carefully next time before you have another hissy fit about someone else's post.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2020 12:08 AM

[quote]I was talking about events that happened in the Midwest and New England as they drove from Chicago to Massachusetts

If you think that the Jim Crow mentality was rare outside of the South, think again. There were THOUSANDS of sundown towns and counties in the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2020 12:36 AM

I enjoyed the book and I have to say the first episode majorly improved on the already excellent source material. You can tell they spent a lot of money on this, the opening was a terrific way to start.

I grew up n in Texas, r40. Even in the 90's Vidor, Tx was known as a sundown town. They tried to move a black resident there and, of course, they killed him. I don't know if it has changed.

Anyway, I am looking forward to where they take the series.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2020 12:39 AM

Absolutely there were sundown towns outside of the South (Vidor, TX is of course in the South, though); but by the 50s, how many towns would there really be in the Midwest where men would get in a car and shoot to kill blacks in broad daylight just for sitting in a diner?

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2020 12:48 AM

The lead guy Jonathan Majors is SO HOT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2020 12:48 AM

R42, how many towns had literal monsters? Poetic license is a wonderful thing.

by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2020 12:51 AM

HBO pretty much only makes media for rich white people who feel guilty about being rich white people now. I can't see them ever making something like Game Of Thrones or The Sopranos nowadays. Every single thing they come out with nowadays is tiring bullshit about racism. We don't need yet another piece of media screaming at us about how tragic being black is, the news and social media are already doing that every. single. day.

by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2020 2:14 AM

It's so funny to think that HBO was once a gay network. Can you imagine them making something like Angels In America today? They'd probably turn it into a lecture about how it's better to have AIDS than be a black american and how white gay people dying of AIDS deserved it because they were white and that makes them racist.

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2020 2:18 AM

I’d like Datalounge so much more if it weren’t for the racists.

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2020 2:21 AM

R47 Here's a link to Lipstick Alley, literally the black answer to the Datalounge. They also hate white gay people. You should feel right at home. Have fun and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2020 2:24 AM

I laughed out loud when the son tells his Uncle that he got a letter from his dad that says "I have found info on your mother's forebearers" and then the uncle says "Is he still obsessed with your mother's ancestry?"

Yeah - that rang true.

And they were being chased by racist white murderers and then a car pulls in front and flips the truck and yet the Uncle, the Nephew, and the female Tag Along think nothing of it and don't discuss it?

Yeah - that rang true.

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2020 2:37 AM

So other authors are cancelled for their racism, but H.P Lovecraft is celebrated?

He wrote On the Creation of N****rs where he describes the entire race as not human, but beasts.

And fuck the Cthulhu Mythos - juvenile and boring.

I hope at one point the leads in this series have to drive through Dungeons and Dragons country. Why not? Just as juvenile and boring.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2020 2:46 AM

Well, this thread didn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2020 5:52 AM

Contemporary Blaxploitation.

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2020 5:55 AM

Boring AF for the first forty-five minutes. Then a riveting 15 minutes to end. But in the previews, it looks like our three leads are headed for a Get Out type scenario.

Eh. I think I'll rewatch Watchmen. Regina King is a god.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2020 7:18 AM

[quote]HBO pretty much only makes media for rich white people who feel guilty about being rich white people

Here's another HBO recommendation for you: Insecure. Might ring a bell for you.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2020 12:29 PM

R47 yeah it's incredibly depressing how many racists and transphobes there are on this site. I just cannot comprehend people who are part of a marginalised minority having zero compassion for others - it literally doesn't make sense to me.

Back to the show - I really enjoyed it - I didn't love it, yet. It's totally up my street though so I have high hopes.

I thought the scariest bit was when they were stopped by the racist cop - really well done tension with the car chase etc. Much scarier than the monsters biting people's faces off! (which I also loved).

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2020 12:59 PM

R55 It's not about a lack of compassion, it's about being fed up with being a marginalized minority that gets attacked by other marginalized minorities. Black people and trans people constantly attack us in every possible way. The only difference is that when gay people attack black and trans people they get shamed, but when black and trans people attack gays everybody looks the other way. That's where our hate comes from. It comes from being exhausted by having to put up with straight bullies as well as these ones.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2020 1:04 PM

Maybe just focus on the content of the story instead of attacking the race of the people who are telling it? If you don't like the show, fine. Leave your critique of the content and move on. Keep your racist shit to yourself

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2020 3:35 PM

Those racists and hater are not the real DL. They are just sad losers who use the anonymous nature of DL to be racists and haters. The real Datalounge isn't racists or about haters. It's about being shady and giving things the side-eye.

Racists and haters can be set on ignore with DL's ignore feature.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2020 4:00 PM

[quote]So other authors are cancelled for their racism, but H.P Lovecraft is celebrated?

Yes, people celebrate his racism.

Troll better.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2020 4:12 PM

I’ll stick with it, but there’s stuff in there that bugs the fuck out of me. I can buy that the car wasn’t drive-able after Leti crashed it into the cabin. But they left their suitcases in the car? They didn’t even change clothes? They’re in redneck country and they decide the safest option is to walk around covered in blood?

That’s not human behavior, it’s TV character behavior dictated by the director's desire to have a "cool" visual of the blood-soaked protagonists staggering toward that mansion. HBO is usually better than that. It’s partly what makes their genre shows stand out; their ability to ground outlandish stories in a recognizable world and with relatable characters.

It’s probably unfair to judge a show on the basis of one episode, but so far, it’s waaaaayyyyy below the likes of Watchmen or even the first few seasons of True Blood.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote]That’s not human behavior, it’s TV character behavior

Uh oh, that was part of why I didn't finish the book.

Eh, I'll still check it out. Eventually.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote]HBO was once a gay network...

Did you miss Euphoria last year?

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2020 2:24 AM

Second episode was so disappointing. The dialogue is absolutely awful, and the plot makes very little sense.

There's lots of male eye candy, from Jonathan Majors (some shots of his bare ass tonight), and the white actors who play Titus Braithwhite and William are both very hot; but that doesn't make up for the confusing plotline and the fact that you can't really tell when characters are dead only temporarily or for good. And no one tonight looked like they lived in the 1950s. Period detail was almost totally abandoned for no clear reason.

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2020 2:30 AM

It has monsters in it but people are in a twist about historical accuracy?

I don't care about sci fi and also am weary of virtue signalling, but I enjoyed it. The lead is indeed hot and I enjoy the older guy as well.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote] It has monsters in it but people are in a twist about historical accuracy?

Yes, because as you well know, it's trying to accommodate both realism and fantasy by grounding itself in a 1950s milieu.

Don't play even dumber than you are, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2020 3:27 AM

The show is really stupid. I don't get the hype at all, which makes me believe that this thread is filled with PR. It's too slow, the characters make rash decisions that don't make any sense or progress the story forward, and the logical behind the form that the monsters take is nonsensical. I wish I could get my 45 minutes back. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2020 3:32 AM

R66 you aren't allowed to have such reservations about a black production.

This thread is a joke that starts with this sentence in R1 "Jurnee Smollett, brother of hate crime hoaxer Jussie Smollett"

So it takes me a number of posts to understand that Jurrnee is a woman. The SISTER of Smollett.

Everything degrades from there and this thread seems to have the same garbage integrity as this series.

by Anonymousreply 67August 24, 2020 3:47 AM

R62 For the last time, trans doesn't equal gay. If you're referring to Nate's dad and the effeminate children he fucked, I'm not counting that because that was less gay representation and more "let's present gay men as repressed pedophiles who like to fuck boys who wear wigs".

by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2020 6:45 AM

r68, haters and trolls try everything to get under someone's skin. Including using the old trope of the closeted gay diddling femme, little boys. You just play into their hands by getting angry and engage. These trolls and haters are just like Milo Y. who troll and then point and laugh at the ones responding.

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2020 7:58 AM

Lol @ a racist troll calling others trolls. Go bak to jerking off to your Queer as Folk VHS tapes, dear.

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2020 1:18 PM

The show infuriates me (with its accurate depiction of the 1950s). But it's good so I'm gonna continue to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2020 3:15 PM

Nice ass in the second episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2020 7:44 PM

Episode one was nearly perfect.

It shouldn't surprise me that episode two couldn't live up to the promise of episode one. But it really did seem like a mess to me.

Hopefully episode three will be better.

by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2020 1:51 AM

Damn I think Tony Goldwyn is hotter than ever (except for the blond wig) - and yes, that was a gorgeous ass on the lead last night too. wow.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2020 2:07 AM

Funny, I thought episode 2 was much better than episode 1 which I thought couldn’t settle on a tone. Considering how many turns it encompassed, it’s no wonder. But, to me, episode 2 was a fun, trippy, self-contained story. Shame about Courtney Vance, who was my fave. But at least we have Michael K. Williams now, who's always good.

All that said, I feel like the show is too rushed somehow. Like they’ve cut a lot of connective tissue out. Maybe that’s for the best and/or maybe that’s an aesthetic choice to keep the audience off-balance. Dunno.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2020 1:54 PM

Was the one that led him to safety his mom?

I enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2020 2:02 PM

I think it was the slave that ties him to that family.

by Anonymousreply 77August 25, 2020 2:21 PM

I believe it was his great-great-great-grandmother - the one who escaped the original fire.

by Anonymousreply 78August 25, 2020 2:23 PM

I found this second episode quite a bit less satisfying than the premier, it was a little confusing/hard to follow at times. I wasn't completely clear on the plan/spell and why Atticus was needed (other than some familial line BS) and it was sort of odd that they suddenly found his dad seemingly out of nowhere unless I zoned out for a minute and missed something.

I wasn't expecting all the whities and the house to crumble to dust, I expected more exposition and that house to be a key location for at least a few episodes.

Who was the woman at the end, are we meant to not know? As I said, I found it overall a bit confusing so wasn't sure if I should know who she was or not. She looked pregnant to me too. What happened to the white girl?

by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2020 2:34 PM

yes, the backstory was very hard to follow.

by Anonymousreply 80August 25, 2020 2:36 PM

I watched the first two episodes last night, because I was curious about the show. Full disclosure though, while I don't mind horror, I've never been big on Lovecraft, and I'm not really a comics fan either. So this wasn't really aimed at me.

Having said that, I thought it wasn't bad at all. I really liked the leads. I also got a real kick out of that scene near the beginning during the car ride with James Baldwin's voice and shots that reference Gordon Parks' photography. That "American Dream" photograph of the white family in the car above a line of black workers is amazing, and it was awesome seeing it recreated here. And it's exposing me to bits of history I wasn't aware of, like the poem/song "Whitey's on the Moon". That was awesome, and actually made me despair a bit that stuff like that isn't being created (or doesn't seem to be) these days. From that, to today's rap about gushing pussies?

It does seem to be rather designed to have parts of it re-posted on Twitter with "Yaaaas! Preach!" As someone said above, it can be a bit heavy-handed. That's not necessarily a criticism from me, just a preference - I enjoy a more subtle metaphor. But at the same time, the things they were saying and showing, particularly in that first episode made me sort of wish that we were back in the days of only 3 stations on TV so people would HAVE to hear what was said. Like someone who fought for the Confederacy fought for slavery, the existence of sundown towns, etc.

The first episode was more enjoyable to me than the second. That one confused me a lot. I know it had a lot to do with hallucinations so that might explain it, but I also just didn't get a lot of what was happening. That actor who played the head wizard or whovever he was never ages, I swear, he looked the same to me as he did back in The L Word.

It's hard to know if I'll keep watching. If it had all been released at once, I may have kept going. Having to check in every week means I'm more likely to forget and as I said above, this isn't quite my type of thing. I would be much more interested if it was a show about them on a road trip, maybe looking for a family member who had gone missing in mysterious circumstances, or even just researching the Green Book, while they navigate racist America without the fantasy aspect. I also borrowed a friend's log-in to watch "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" here in my country (on the same streaming service), so I don't really have it as readily available to me.

Anyway, all this to say, I can imagine fans of the comic, or of this kind of thing in general will probably really enjoy it. I hope it does well, even if I don't know if I will personally keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2020 9:56 PM

The second episode was a mess. It was hard to follow at the breakneck speed of the plot. It felt like a couple episodes jammed into one.

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2020 10:01 PM

I missed the first episode, caught the second one and I enjoyed it, but I like Gothic horror. It's over-the-top, but with monsters rising up from the ground, I'm okay with the soap opera elements. I thought it was refreshing that the leads were black instead of some pale white girl running around the haunted house like Victoria Winters. [The blonde girl in the story wasn't the lead or the heroine.]

The backstory appears to be that Titus the racist wizard impregnated his black slave Hannah and tried to follow a ritual that backfired, blowing up himself and the house. (Presumably he was ready to sacrifice the fetus that Hannah was carrying that contained his own magical bloodline, in order to open the magical portal to Eden, but somehow things went south.) Pregnant Hannah ran for her life and got out. Years later she appeared as an image in the portal to her descendant Atticus - (maybe she left a piece of herself behind, like a Harry Potter horcrux? Or did he imagine her?) At a minimum, she appears to have known spells and transferred that ancestral knowledge to Atticus, enough to save his life. So history repeats and the house collapses.

by Anonymousreply 83August 27, 2020 10:36 PM

How did you know all that backstory, r83?

by Anonymousreply 84August 27, 2020 10:56 PM

I understand why Jurnee Smollett's and Courtney Vance's characters would have been back on the Barithwaite property after sundown, since they had amnesia; but why would Jonathan Majors's character do that? He didn't have amnesia, and he would have remembered the creatures from the night before, and he was explicitly warned not to be out of the house after dinnertime.

I also wondered why they spent the whole day in the town near the mansion (getting home only after the sun had set) because there seemed to be nothing to do there at all.

by Anonymousreply 85August 27, 2020 10:59 PM

R84, I put the backstory together in my head from what I saw on the show. Also, years ago I saw a movie based on a Lovecraft story... the nerdy hero and his girlfriend washed up on an island with strange people, who turned out to be a cult. The girlfriend bit the dust in a gory sacrifice, but the hero was a descendant of the monster, so he was welcomed into the cult... they had magically drawn him there. So I was primed to see Atticus as a descendant of evil. Hannah's story fit right in with that.

I could have the backstory wrong, maybe I missed something, but that's how it appeared to me.

by Anonymousreply 86August 27, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote]some pale white girl running around the haunted house like Victoria Winters.

Which is only acceptable if there is generous side-boob.

by Anonymousreply 87August 27, 2020 11:25 PM

I wish tony Goldwyn showed cock

by Anonymousreply 88August 27, 2020 11:25 PM

Just to confirm, this is a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 89August 27, 2020 11:32 PM

The summaries may make it seem that way, R89, but it's dead serious. I could see it show up on some future version of MST3K, though.

by Anonymousreply 90August 27, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote]made me sort of wish that we were back in the days of only 3 stations on TV so people would HAVE to hear what was said.

This show would never have gotten on the air back then. No network would touch it for fear offending people's delicate sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 91August 27, 2020 11:42 PM

I haven’t read the book, but the idea of using H.P. Lovecraft's oeuvre to lay waste to Lovecraft himself is pretty freakin' ballsy. I admire the ambition if not the actual result.

by Anonymousreply 92August 27, 2020 11:58 PM

R89, not a comedy - Melodrama. This particular episode is a mash-up of family soap opera, 1970s/80s gothic romance (protagonist comes to collect an inheritance, supernatural things happen), Lovecraft's horror (spells and monsters) and a civil rights road trip story (racists gonna racist). There are moments when the characters suffer emotional pain or they show guts in the face of adversity, which makes you care about the characters. But when you have monsters popping up out of the ground, yeah, there's some comedy.

by Anonymousreply 93August 28, 2020 12:01 AM

Perfectly put, R92. That's how I feel too.

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2020 12:41 AM

Okay, I’m out. I gave it three episodes and it’s just not that good. I’m gonna rewatch Succession and Watchmen instead.

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2020 4:01 PM

Did anyone catch the reference to "Bobo" and his upcoming "trip"?

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2020 4:05 PM

Episode one was phenomenal. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2020 4:40 PM

I dunno, I loved episode 3. It was back on par with episode 1. A really horrifying haunted house story.

Why do they gotta make all the evil bigot guys so fucking HOT though?

by Anonymousreply 98September 1, 2020 2:41 AM

What was the deal with the gold ring the lead guy was given?

by Anonymousreply 99September 1, 2020 3:35 AM

Is anyone who isn't deeply familiar with HP Lovecraft works enjoying this? I'm trying my best, but it's just not clicking. I've never read any Lovecraft, however.

by Anonymousreply 100September 1, 2020 5:45 AM

yes and it’s very good!!

by Anonymousreply 101September 1, 2020 6:53 AM

Just starting watching this with my black girl friend, who is not a genre book or film person. I can appreciate all the references thrown in in the first episode- Wizard of Oz, War of the Worlds, Cthulhu, Princess of Mars just in the dream sequence, Evil Dead and Cabin in the Woods later on. However, it all confused her. Knowing the HPL oeuvre, I speculated that they were sacrifices to call the ancient gods, but they twisted that a bit.

BGF is from an old New Orleans family, and had to explain to me Sundowner towns, and how absolutely accurate it was, which is chilling- I had no idea that was an actual thing, and am saddened that that is never taught in schools when I grew up in Chicago. She also picked up on the great great great pregnant grandmother to guide him out, while I was puzzling about it.

They put a lot of love in the pilot, but I have a feeling it'll be an uneven series, but better than the rebooted Twilight Zone- Peele's strengths are horror and comedy. Also, Jurnee doesn't want to wear period appropriate underwear, unless it's absolutely necessary, no pointy tits.

by Anonymousreply 102September 1, 2020 5:28 PM

Oh yeah, they also referenced Herbert West and Re-Animator in the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 103September 1, 2020 5:32 PM

I thought the 3rd episode was the best and hope it continues with more episodes like this. The costumes were especially fantastic in this one. The right amount of real-life horror and fantasy horror and I LOVE the creepy blonde from Neon Demon-she look slike a Japanese Blythe doll from the 70s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 1, 2020 5:37 PM

I'm not a fan of Lovecraft but I'm enjoying this.

by Anonymousreply 105September 1, 2020 7:26 PM

Episode 3 was fantastic - I've loved the murder house since I read the book and it was so cool to see it come alive. The contrast between "horror" and the real life horror of the KKK is so striking.

by Anonymousreply 106September 2, 2020 2:10 PM

I wanted to fuck all three of those KKK bigots who broke into the house. What a waste of gorgeous manflesh.

by Anonymousreply 107September 2, 2020 11:07 PM

"What a waste of gorgeous manflesh."

Honey, if I were you I'd think more along the likes of "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Think on that if you can, hon.

If you can. No pressure.

by Anonymousreply 108September 3, 2020 7:46 AM

R108, you are aware that r107 was talking about actors playing bigots, not actual bigots, right? It’s a TV show.

by Anonymousreply 109September 3, 2020 11:47 AM

I didn't realize that Tony Goldwyn is STILL hot. How old is he?

by Anonymousreply 110September 3, 2020 12:48 PM

R110 - 60 this year apparently. Agreed, he doesn't look like he ages.

by Anonymousreply 111September 3, 2020 1:20 PM

No I am not watching this. Too many culluds on TV already. Stop it and stop it now. This woke n!gger bullshit is going to make us lose the next election. Black are 13% of the population. They are a tiny minority!

by Anonymousreply 112September 3, 2020 1:23 PM

Just saw episode 3 and think it was a definite improvement on episode 2. I'm kinda sad though that I just think it's not quite my type of show, so I probably won't continue it. But glad I checked it out anyway. Unfortunately I really struggle finding series I get excited to watch.

by Anonymousreply 113September 4, 2020 12:31 PM

I think it may be too long. It FEELS like they're throwing a lot at you in an hour. Half an hour episodes would be better for me. My attention span is waning the older I get.

by Anonymousreply 114September 5, 2020 9:24 AM

R114, I think you make a really good point there, the episodes really do feel too long. I've often thought the same with the length of things, half an hour is great for a TV episode, 90 minutes is optimum for a film.

by Anonymousreply 115September 5, 2020 12:26 PM

Each episode is so different. This was more like Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Da Vinci Code.

by Anonymousreply 116September 7, 2020 2:26 AM

I'm struggling to get through it.

The episodes are too long, and a lot of it isn't very interesting.

It also seems like just a jumble of all kinds of supernatural nonsense...which is fine, but between the monsters, the ghosts, the nightmare visions, the evil spirits, and what have you...it's just too much wacky shit going on all at once.

I'm having a lot of trouble maintaining my interest.

And unfortunately, I have this personality quirk/minor OCD-esque thing where once I start watching something, I HAVE to finish it, no matter how much I don't like it, and how much torture it is for me to continue.

I'm at the point where I'm regretting having started watching it.

by Anonymousreply 117September 7, 2020 2:48 AM

It's interesting, but the thing is, it's not very Lovecraftian. The shoggoth guard creatures of the estate in the first episode look nothing like the shoggoths in Lovecraft's fiction; though Lovecraft is fascinated by bloodlines, they always are of poor degenerates, not rich ones; and so far we have nothing of his crumbling and decaying waterfront or riverfront small towns that so often characterize his fiction.

Instead of "Lovecraft Country," this should instead be called instead something like "American Horror Story: White People Are Evil."

by Anonymousreply 118September 7, 2020 3:08 AM

“Instead of "Lovecraft Country," this should instead be called instead something like "American Horror Story: White People Are Evil."”

EXCELLENT! 😂👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

by Anonymousreply 119September 7, 2020 3:30 AM

I'm surprised this episode received practically no comments. Did anyone else watch it?

by Anonymousreply 120September 7, 2020 6:09 PM

I haven't watched any pass episode 2 which kinda killed my investment. I'll probably finish it once I can just binge it.

by Anonymousreply 121September 7, 2020 6:24 PM

It's all over the fucking place. So many nonsensical "plot" points. I've seen the first 4 and it's already got enough for 12 films. 12 totally unrelated films. Its crap gumbo.

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2020 9:11 PM

I'm no longer watching this, so I can't comment about it, but came across this opinion of the latest episode on Twitter. Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 8, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote]The shoggoth guard creatures of the estate in the first episode look nothing like the shoggoths in Lovecraft's fiction...

To my knowledge, R118, the Shoggothoi have never been depicted in film or television, only described in a couple of Lovecraft's tales and in a few of the works of those who borrowed the Mythos for their own stories. So while these may not have been what I expected in a Shoggoth, the depiction isn't 𝑤𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑔, just unexpected. In '𝐹𝑎𝑡 𝐹𝑎𝑐𝑒' (1988), author Michael Shea describes them as having evolved, once free of their original masters, and able to project a passable human appearance, even if only a head (the rest of their corpulent, formless bodies only approximating a human form through the use of complex rubber suits with buckles and straps). As for the LC depiction, hundreds of eyes, check. Totally consumes its prey by absorbing it, check. Chirping or twittering sound, check.

[quote]though Lovecraft is fascinated by bloodlines, they always are of poor degenerates, not rich ones

Untrue. Most of his stories revolve around wealthy families tainted by interbreeding with something unnatural (the Martenses with ghouls, from 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐿𝑢𝑟𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐹𝑒𝑎𝑟; the Marshes with the Deep Ones, from 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑆ℎ𝑎𝑑𝑜𝑤 𝑂𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝐼𝑛𝑛𝑠𝑚𝑜𝑢𝑡ℎ; the Waites with both the Deep Ones and with sorcery, from 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑂𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐷𝑜𝑜𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑝; the De la Poers with cannibalism and degenerative practices, from 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑅𝑎𝑡𝑠 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑊𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑠; the Jermyns with white apes, from 𝐴𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑢𝑟 𝐽𝑒𝑟𝑚𝑦𝑛, etc); his narrators are often scions of these families, in whom the atavistic traits begin to out subsequent to investigations of family histories. Lovecraft's characterizations of non-white peoples as "degenerate" (cf. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐻𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑡 𝑅𝑒𝑑 𝐻𝑜𝑜𝑘) are usually quite different, and don't involve a main protagonist.

[quote]so far we have nothing of his crumbling and decaying waterfront or riverfront small towns that so often characterize his fiction.

Offhand, the only two examples of such towns I can think of are 𝐼𝑛𝑛𝑠𝑚𝑜𝑢𝑡ℎ and 𝐾𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡, the locus of only a couple or so of his stories. Arkham and Dunwich are inland.

Episodes 1 and 2 of LC put me immediately in mind of 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐹𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑎𝑙, where the narrator has been summoned to observe a traditional family rite at Yuletide, of which he had been previously unaware, and is terrorized by what his heritage apparently entails.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 8, 2020 5:31 AM

[quote]I'm no longer watching this, so I can't comment about it, but came across this opinion of the latest episode on Twitter. Thoughts?

Well if you're no longer watching it, and didn't even see it then ...

by Anonymousreply 125September 8, 2020 6:20 AM

...then I'm interested in hearing how other people felt this issue was handled with.

by Anonymousreply 126September 8, 2020 6:27 AM

R126, My point is you don't even know what the issue was because you never bothered to watch it so even if someone explained what their opinion was of it you'd have no basis on which to judge any of that?

Most people are overreacting on Twitter and wrote entire essays about why this "trans" character is being brutalized and how wrong it is ... but most of that's not coming from actual Native Americans or even people who are "two spirit."

Who keep trying to explain how unrelated that is to "two spirits" that is to the non-natives going on about this.

You have people complaining, "BUT HE MISGENDERED THEM AND SAID 'WHAT ARE YOU?'" Not thinking about the fact that the character was an 100 year old skeleton who suddenly became flesh in front of the characters or that other characters corrected that character.

In any case, I'll leave this thread. It's actually from someone who is Native American pretty much telling everyone else on Twitter who isn't to stop using any of their terms in their arguments.

(They also point out that the term two-spirit didn't exist until the 90s so it doesn't even make sense that a character in the 50s who "died" 100 year before that would even use the term.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 8, 2020 7:05 AM

R126 and here's another more lengthy explanation of what this person's problem is with that content

Of course both of these ignore the fact (that some people picked up on) that the episode is called, "A History of Violence." It's not just about violence from white people towards black people but also of black people towards others as well as a character points out that the Native character and the black characters were both treated poorly by white people in history right before the episode ends how it does proving the cycle doesn't just involve white people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 8, 2020 7:08 AM

Cartoon Snake Dick.

by Anonymousreply 129September 8, 2020 7:18 AM

"I no longer bother to watch the show, but I have to make sure others are aware that I no longer watch it and yet feel the need to take part of the discussion of a show I apparently no longer bother to watch, because my opinion matters soooooooo much! Oh, and in case it's not clear: You are all losers for watching this stupid show!"

by Anonymousreply 130September 8, 2020 7:25 AM

See, I was with you R127 until you turned into a bitch. People don't have to like what you like and they don't need you to condescend to them when they ask a question about it. This is an open forum for discussion.

by Anonymousreply 131September 8, 2020 12:25 PM

R131, that whole exchange seems incomplete, as though it was an argument that started someplace else, and only a small part of it was conducted here. I'm not reading Twitter to try to get the sense of it.

I didn't catch the expression "two spirit" watching the episode (cable HBO broadcasts at a lower volume, and turning it up to maximum doesn't help much), but reading the subtitle file, I see it now (I winced when I read it). [sigh] An anachronism in the show. Oh well. I'm still entertained, and I'm not going to stop watching it just because of a mistake. (Perhaps they should have let it be at "Man-woman", and perhaps called them a shaman, or whatever equivalent term in Arawaki).

by Anonymousreply 132September 9, 2020 8:01 AM

R132, just to clarify, it was I who posted the original link to Twitter about the most recent episode for discussion. I was really genuinely interested in what people thought of the discussion contained therein, myself only having watched up to and including episode 3. If the conversation seems incomplete, it's because the fellow who responded to me seemed to infer some kind of bad intention on my part and went off on a tangent, when really I was just curious about others' thoughts. There really is no more to it than what everyone can read on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 133September 9, 2020 12:26 PM

[quote]that whole exchange seems incomplete, as though it was an argument that started someplace else,

The mistake I made was writing R126 when I was referring to R123 who asked specifically about two-spirits.

Since those responses specifically refer to the tweet posted about Two-Spirits.

[quote]it's because the fellow who responded to me seemed to infer some kind of bad intention on my part and went off on a tangent

No. You posted a Twitter link. All I was saying was to watch the scene. All of it will make more sense then. There's a lot of nuance to it that you'd miss as to why people are upset, why they're talking about two spirits, why people are defending the scene etc. It's not as simple as, this was good or this was bad. And also saying specifically take a look at what Native American people think about it since it involves them.

(Although apparently the writers said they executed it poorly so they're in agreement with some of the negativity.)

If my intent was to be a bitch then I wouldn't have spent so much time digging that stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 134September 9, 2020 1:15 PM

This morning I just watched Episode 5, 'Strange Case,' which was pretty goddamned strange. It confirmed something I've suspected since the third episode (something somewhat along the lines of Asenath Waite).

Don't miss out, people. ;)

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2020 12:58 PM

Historically, Massachusetts county government is practically non-existent...mostly for the courts and penal systems. Police forces and the rest of government is carried on at the local level, cities and towns. The show would have been more accurate if the sheriff were a police chief, and he was referring to the town being a sundown town (though if there were any in Massachusetts, I'm not aware of. There were some in Connecticut like Darien.)

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2020 3:47 PM

Five episodes in and nothing makes any sense. Scattershot shock effects and gross sex scenes (also for shock effect). And why is it magically happy black time and then (SHOCK!) racist black time. Why is everyone glamorously overdressed in every scene. No flow through of events, it's like the main characters have amnesia. What happened to the werewolf things in the first episode? Does ANYTHING matter on this show? It's as if they throw darts at single torn pages from crappy pulp horror paperbacks and try to shoehorn them into a each show at random.

by Anonymousreply 137September 15, 2020 6:57 PM

The show is so disjointed

by Anonymousreply 138September 15, 2020 7:50 PM

It makes a fair amount of sense to me, R137.

[quote]What happened to the werewolf things in the first episode?

Oh, the Shoggothoi? They were in the woods surrounding Ardham, in Devon County, Massachusetts, guarding the Braithwaite Manor. The story is no longer situated there, so it makes sense we're no longer seeing them. But we're liable to again, since at the end of Episode 4, Hippolyta and Dee found the map inside the glovebox of the car, the map with all the locations circled. And they're on their way to Devon County, in the hopes of finding out what really happened to her husband George.

[quote]Why is everyone glamorously overdressed in every scene.

It's a period piece, set in the middle 1950s. That was how they dressed.

[quote]No flow through of events, it's like the main characters have amnesia.

It's perfectly consistent within itself, but you're hostile towards the material, and you're not giving it the attention necessary to understand it. It's complicated, like 'Watchmen,' and you have to pay attention to details. In Episode 5, a whole lot of gay material and a character whom we didn't really expect to be gay turned out to be (though Episode 1 gave us reason to suspect) just exploded onto the scene. It's getting more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 139September 15, 2020 9:00 PM

But, but HBO doesn't do gay stories anymore now that the blacks and the trans ams have taken over!

by Anonymousreply 140September 20, 2020 3:28 PM

Very uneven show. It went from the main mystery to some random episode about a haunted house, wtf was that all about? I loved the Indiana Jones vibe it had a couple of episodes in and I love the racial tension in this show countering the magical elements.

I gave up after the gay reveal. Of course we had to have a closet gay who hates fuck another dude who, surprise surprise, loves to dress up as a woman and put on a drag show. Of course, god forbid we finally got a non stereotypical gay character.

by Anonymousreply 141September 20, 2020 3:56 PM

I can't seem to get into it. Which has really surprised me. Does it get any better?

by Anonymousreply 142September 20, 2020 3:59 PM

When did HBO become BET Premium?

by Anonymousreply 143September 20, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote]Of course we had to have a closet gay who hates fuck another dude who, surprise surprise, loves to dress up as a woman and put on a drag show.

You know it takes place in the 50s, right?

by Anonymousreply 144September 20, 2020 4:10 PM

Yeah I'm aware of it. Are you telling me all gays in the 1950s were drag queens? There are collections of gay letters online from WWI to present day. Many show army guys having full romances without all this bullshit. You don't have to focus in the stereotype, that's the difference a gay writer makes in these type of stories.

Enjoy watching drag queens dancing, this month I had to endure Philadelphia and this bullshit, somehow I feel we haven't gone that far, the opera scene is back in full force here.

I love genre fiction and True Blood was a favorite of mine. I don't hate this show, but I'll pass. I find Lovecraft to be overrated as hell too.

by Anonymousreply 145September 20, 2020 4:19 PM

There is NO Lovecraft in Lovecraft in Lovecraft Country. It's just a boogaloo "scary" black show. You know what would be scarier than this piece of shit, the way Trump has successfully spread Nazism to the United States. Make a show about that, assholes.

by Anonymousreply 146September 20, 2020 5:02 PM

I missed a couple of episodes, so I haven't put together the whole magic storyline. But the theme is a little depressing - the whites are evil, but when the black characters are given power, they are evil too. Ruby was handed the magic potion to pass as a white woman., and she used it to enable her to rape an evil white guy. Atticus's dad killed the native woman (siren?), and Atticus and his girlfriend let it go, which is a slippery moral slope. Atticus at least seems aware of the danger, as he senses violence within himself - so I imagine it's going to eventually come down to Atticus having to choose between immense power/evil, vs. less power/good.

by Anonymousreply 147September 20, 2020 5:28 PM

It doesn't make any difference if you missed a couple of episodes. It's a random shit show.

by Anonymousreply 148September 20, 2020 5:31 PM

R148, I feel like the producers have a backstory/mythology planned out, at least in regards to what Titus was up to in the past and what Christina is trying to accomplish in the present, and we get little dribs and drabs of that backstory with each episode.

by Anonymousreply 149September 20, 2020 5:38 PM

Lets hope for more cartoon snake peen.

by Anonymousreply 150September 20, 2020 5:41 PM

Some of you just really aren't getting it.

It's something different than you're used to, obviously, but it's not that hard to figure out.

It's a combination of a miniseries and an anthology show. Each episode is loosely based on a different Lovecraft tale. But there's an over-arching story, told with all the same characters.

And yes, one of the themes is that the reality for black people is MORE scary and horrifying than fiction for white people.

by Anonymousreply 151September 21, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote] And yes, one of the themes is that the reality for black people is MORE scary and horrifying than fiction for white people.

Yes, that was quite well spelled out in the first episode. It’s a brilliant conceit for a show, but the execution isn’t great. The half-anthology/half-big arc structure is interesting on paper, but it’s either an unworkable form or they’ve just plain botched it. I give the show creators major points for their ambition, but it’s a giant miss for me.

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2020 1:07 AM

Not sure you're giving it enough of a chance, R152.

For me, the only 'miss' so far was episode 2, which was ... a mess. Over-stuffed. Half a season or a full season's plot stuffed into a single episode.

But I've enjoyed every other episode, though admittedly episode 1 was the best.

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2020 1:13 AM

It's a challenging series, to be sure. I'm patient enough to see where it's going.

Tonight's episode is especially challenging, given it's mostly in Chinese with subtitles, and it's halfway through before you even get what the connection is to the larger series.

But I bet the troll here always asking for naked asian men is happy.

by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2020 1:30 AM

According to Wikipedia the book in which this mess is based on is also divided into 8 small stories, maybe that's why this show feels so disjointed, True Blood it ain't. That said Lovecraft is overrated fluff garbage with no substance so I guess it fits the show, as a matter of fact I think this show has a better message than anything the HP wrote.

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2020 1:45 AM

The show is a literal fuck-you to Lovecraft, who was an unrepentant racist.

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2020 1:47 AM

Six episodes in and the only takeaway I have is that Anal Rape is a theme. So if I want to enjoy this show should I shove something up my ass?

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2020 5:57 AM

Your head's in the way, R157.

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2020 7:12 AM

I am really enjoying the series.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2020 11:14 AM

I enjoy the bloody rape scenes.

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2020 6:46 PM

[quote]There is NO Lovecraft in Lovecraft in Lovecraft Country.

I'm not sure you'd recognize 'Lovecraft' if you saw it, R146. Like R118, you probably have only the vaguest idea of what 'Lovecraft' fiction was about.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2020 7:53 PM

It's just like The Twilight Zone except it has shitty writing, shitty acting, grotesque violence and hard core sex. Oh, and modern woke agenda thrown in for no reason other than rewriting history.

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote]Oh, and modern woke agenda thrown in for no reason other than rewriting history.

What history do you think 'Lovecraft Country' is re-writing, R162?

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2020 8:44 PM

White erasure!

by Anonymousreply 164September 23, 2020 1:27 PM

Just watched episode four. Would it be too obvious that William is Christina's male alter ego?

by Anonymousreply 165September 23, 2020 1:41 PM

Aw fuck. Now I feel stupid after watching episode 5 and 6. It was that obvious.

by Anonymousreply 166September 23, 2020 3:42 PM

I love the horror adventure feel. And the leads are hot and the sex scenes are pretty hot, too.

by Anonymousreply 167September 23, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote] the sex scenes are pretty hot, too.

This is a gay message board, no one here finds straight sex hot, get the fuck out frau.

by Anonymousreply 168September 23, 2020 3:47 PM

Um...did you miss last week's episode?

by Anonymousreply 169September 23, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote] This is a gay message board, no one here finds straight sex hot, get the fuck out frau.

Is this the best you've got, troll? Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 170September 23, 2020 3:53 PM

I'm not a troll, but I was trolling at R168 😜. That said, I didn't watch last week, I gave up on this show when they revealed the gay character hate fucking the bar owner and then the whole drag queen sequence. I'm done with this type of shit. Do we really need more drag queens as "representation"?

by Anonymousreply 171September 23, 2020 4:03 PM

God this site is horrible now.

by Anonymousreply 172September 23, 2020 4:44 PM

Troll A: This show is terrible

Troll B: This show is so fucking stupid

Troll C: This show is so PC. The virtue signaling kills it for me

Troll D: DL is so terrible now. The trolls have won. All is lost.

Troll E: I so agree. Let's get all depressed and kill ourselves!

by Anonymousreply 173September 23, 2020 4:49 PM

R173: but your NOT a troll?

by Anonymousreply 174September 23, 2020 4:52 PM

It's YOU'RE. Not your, fool.

by Anonymousreply 175September 23, 2020 6:22 PM

that's the first thing you think of?

by Anonymousreply 176September 23, 2020 6:43 PM

Ugh the Smolletts are insufferable. Narcissism definitely runs in their family as their parents named them all similar names, and they are just average actors and average in looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 25, 2020 1:07 AM

I really liked tonight's episode. Time/space travel, and the act of taking ownership of one's reality through naming one's self.

by Anonymousreply 178September 28, 2020 2:08 AM

R154. Learn the difference between Korean and Chinese, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 179September 28, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote] I love Jurnee. She always has a place in my heart after Friday Night Lights.

I loved her in Eve's Bayou.

"Ain't that much dirt in all Louisiana....Get out of the damn tub!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 28, 2020 2:45 AM

I'm going to give it a chance. Hearing good and bad things about it from my DL family. There's really not a lot on TV right now.

by Anonymousreply 181September 28, 2020 2:46 AM

I think the ones that hate it are Lovecraftians or racist.

by Anonymousreply 182September 28, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote]I think the ones that hate it are Lovecraftians or racist.

More like racist, R182. The racist trolls hating on this series don't know the first thing about Lovecraft.

by Anonymousreply 183September 28, 2020 2:50 AM

I have to say, tonight's episode had one of the biggest "WTF?!?" moments I can remember. I mean... wow.

A great episode though. I loved it. I actually laughed out loud a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 184September 28, 2020 4:52 AM

R179, are you sure it wasn't Japanese?

I mean, who can tell, really?

by Anonymousreply 185September 28, 2020 4:53 AM

I gave the show a chance for a number of episodes, I really wanted to like it, it turned out it wasn't for me, I had some criticisms I made, and I can't stand racism and would never be racist. All these things can exist. The End.

by Anonymousreply 186September 28, 2020 7:03 AM

Beautiful episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 187September 28, 2020 7:12 AM

R186 Just because you don't like this show doesn't mean that you're racist. I mean...really? Why is that even in your head?

by Anonymousreply 188September 28, 2020 12:44 PM

I liked the book. The HBO is more ambitious in the sense of trying to put everything “woke” in it and is, IMO, borderline incoherent at times—Jordan Peale seems like he’s trying to say everything possible about race, sexism, and homophobia in 1-hour episodes. I think the actors are all first-rate.

by Anonymousreply 189September 28, 2020 1:42 PM

have yet to see a white person/actor on that show.....is this the new normal????

by Anonymousreply 190September 28, 2020 2:15 PM

[quote]have yet to see a white person/actor on that show.....is this the new normal????

R190, that's an admission that you haven't seen so much as a single episode of it.

by Anonymousreply 191September 28, 2020 2:27 PM

Racists on DL?

Well, I nevah!

by Anonymousreply 192September 28, 2020 2:30 PM

I guess its unheard of to get an actual discussion about the show from people who watch the show on this site. Who gives a fuck if you don’t watch it? It is an amazing interpretation of the source material. Completely unpredictable! It is no surprise most of you cannot view the world through someone else’s eyes since this space has always lacked empathy. Go watch Lost if you need boring white so much.

by Anonymousreply 193September 28, 2020 4:23 PM

r193, what you have to do is put anyone on ignore who pisses you off by trying to derail the discussion. Future attempts of that ID will no longer show up in your browser and instead you see more of the comments you want while the ones you don't appreciate get fewer and fewer.

by Anonymousreply 194September 28, 2020 4:29 PM

Pretty good episode last night. Nice mirroring of the father coming out & Hippolyta finding herself within the “I am” title premise. Although these side stories really let the steam out of the main story. One could argue that the main story never had the steam to propel itself though.

by Anonymousreply 195September 28, 2020 6:11 PM

The reaction from Atticus was well acted and was believable. I appreciate that Atticus isn’t perfect hero-especially obvious from the portrayal in the “Daegu” episode. Im not sure what the main story is right now. I have to retrace everyones steps at the beginning of each episode just so I am sure I’m on the right track.

by Anonymousreply 196September 28, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote]Although these side stories really let the steam out of the main story. One could argue that the main story never had the steam to propel itself though.

R195, I wouldn't characterize any of these as "side stories." They're all integral components of the "main story."

by Anonymousreply 197September 28, 2020 7:01 PM

Last night's episode was amazingly trippy, and the best episode so far.

by Anonymousreply 198September 28, 2020 7:10 PM

Yep

by Anonymousreply 199September 28, 2020 7:21 PM

Might be a silly question or I might have missed something: Can anyone explain how Atticus is still a son of Adam if he inherited the power through a female line?

by Anonymousreply 200September 28, 2020 7:26 PM

A fair question, R200.

by Anonymousreply 201September 28, 2020 7:32 PM

But was he really a son of Adam? The ritual in the second episode should've worked if the magical genes of his father were the dominant ones.

by Anonymousreply 202September 28, 2020 7:34 PM

[quote]have yet to see a white person/actor on that show

have yet to see that show

by Anonymousreply 203September 28, 2020 8:13 PM

Wow. It's rare that I care about pretty much every main and regular character on a show. Even Christina.

by Anonymousreply 204September 28, 2020 9:16 PM

R188, I merely mentioned that because other posters upthread were saying the people criticising the show were racist. It wasn't in my head, I was reacting to what was said.

by Anonymousreply 205September 28, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote]I merely mentioned that because other posters upthread were saying the people criticising the show were racist.

For the first quarter or so of this thread, it was loaded down with openly racist posts (R4, R7, R11, R21, R22, R45, R46, R48, R52, R56). Then, when a number of posters remarked on the racism, the trolls switched tactics and started shitting on the show: 'It's boring;' ; 'it doesn't make sense,' 'it's not historically accurate,' 'the actors are ugly;' 'none of it relates to anything else,' etc.

I haven't run the 'ignore' search on these posters, but I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the ones making racist posts in the beginning, turned to "it's a random shit show" in later posts.

by Anonymousreply 206September 28, 2020 11:14 PM

Love trolls like the ones who don't watch the show but need to make everybody aware that they don't watch the show. Those really contribute so much to the discussion. Or the ones who think they are so clever by using woke, PC, virtue signaling to dismiss a show. Yeah, really clever. Or the sad, hopeless viewers who really, really wanted to like the show, but simply can't relate to anyone on the show. How truly tragic.

But every thread discussing a show or movie has those. That's what you have to put up with on Datalounge. Unless ... dramatic pause ... you put them on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 207September 28, 2020 11:40 PM

It's weird people are hating the show because it seems political or "woke". Don't watch it if it triggers you that much. Other people are enjoying it,so switch back to Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 208September 29, 2020 12:52 AM

I did really love last night's episode and I do appreciate that the show is doing these "side trips." It's very ambitious and it's showing a literal multiverse of possibilities for the genre.

One a completely different side note, Fargo also started last night and I only watched the first episode, but I think this might be one of the best seasons.

Sorry Ewan McGregor. Well, actually, I should apologize to Jean Smart. Her season was the best at least until possibly this one.

by Anonymousreply 209September 29, 2020 1:37 AM

What do I need to know about H.P. Lovecraft's writing to enjoy the show? I'm going to binge this in a few weeks when I have some vacation time!

by Anonymousreply 210September 29, 2020 4:32 AM

[quote]What do I need to know about H.P. Lovecraft's writing to enjoy the show?

Nothing, R210. Just enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 211September 29, 2020 6:53 PM

I absolutely love this show. It's not perfect by any stretch - but it's incredibly ambitious so I can forgive the flaws. The main issue for me is the editing, scenes are cut too quickly without resolution and time jumps forward erratically - like when Ruby was trapped in the wardrobe with a tortured man then suddenly it was the next day in the store, with no explanation of what happened next.

It's not like anything else on television and I really look forward to it because I never know what to expect from one episode to the next.

I haven't read the book it's based on but I want to when the season is over - is the show meant to be a miniseries or is there intention to have additional seasons does anyone know?

I would like to see a few more monsters. I hope we see the kumiho popping up in the US - she still has one more soul to claim...

by Anonymousreply 212September 30, 2020 12:08 PM

Half the time I have no idea what's going on or where the plot is going but I love it! And the art direction is stellah!!!

by Anonymousreply 213September 30, 2020 12:40 PM

I have a question about the comic book at the end of the show.... is Hippolyta now trapped in a comic book?

by Anonymousreply 214September 30, 2020 1:08 PM

R214 I didn't read it as that - I thought it was to show they left evidence behind at the cop murder, as her daughter's name was on it.

by Anonymousreply 215September 30, 2020 3:33 PM

Yeah, next week’s preview clearly shows the daughter getting harassed by police.

by Anonymousreply 216September 30, 2020 6:09 PM

The most recent episode (based on Hippolyta) was the best yet - wonderful writing and acting.

I’ve read (and loved) the book this show is based on, and I think that the show’s version of this chapter is even better than the book.

Another recommendation: if you’re enjoying the show, once you read the book, check out another of Matt Ruff’s books - “Set This House in Order.” It’s a really interesting look at multiple personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 217September 30, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote] I hope we see the kumiho popping up in the US - she still has one more soul to claim...

Not according to the mudang, R212, who said:

"You have not even become one with the darkness yet. You will see countless deaths before your journey is done."

by Anonymousreply 218September 30, 2020 10:12 PM

R212 'you will see countless deaths' not you will cause them.

by Anonymousreply 219October 1, 2020 8:50 AM

I tried to watch this. Can't do it, it sucks. What a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 220October 2, 2020 4:51 AM

It doesn't suck. At all.

Episode 2 was a mess, but that was an outlier. The rest is very good, and episode one and this most recent episode were near masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 221October 2, 2020 2:54 PM

During the monster scene, I kept thinking, what are the neighbors thinking. Did nobody look out their window?

by Anonymousreply 222October 5, 2020 7:10 AM

ev time i flip past it there taint no white folks on it......swear to dolly.

by Anonymousreply 223October 5, 2020 4:55 PM

Maybe I'm a sociopath, but that monster killing all those racist and corrupt cops was rather satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 224October 5, 2020 5:28 PM

The Topsy twins were definitely terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 225October 5, 2020 6:29 PM

This show consistently has some of the most disturbing sex scenes. Each disturbing in their own unique ways.

by Anonymousreply 226October 6, 2020 1:45 AM

I agree with both R224 and R225.

by Anonymousreply 227October 6, 2020 2:23 AM

r154, Korean, not Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 228October 11, 2020 4:48 PM

Tonight’s episode was a beautiful wrap up to the seemingly unlinked elements of the last few episodes. Tic finally understood the generational curses of alcoholism and abuse. Hippolyta apparently turned into a superhero lol. Imagine what was going through Tic’s G-Grandmother’s head as she decided to stay and burn...although she would’ve died from smoke inhalation (as anyone in a fire does) long before she burned. But I understand they needed the drama.

Watching Leti walk through the bombs to the musical setting of “Catch the Fire” was moving.

Excited for episode 10!

by Anonymousreply 229October 12, 2020 2:29 AM

Well, not a wrap up really. But a good storyline convergence.

by Anonymousreply 230October 12, 2020 2:30 AM

This weekend's episode was gutting. So amazing and well done.

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 231October 13, 2020 12:50 AM

wow!

by Anonymousreply 232October 13, 2020 9:56 PM

That sex scene a couple of episodes ago, where her white skin sloughed off during sex... was one of the most disturbing sex scenes ever, but can we talk about how amazing and original those special effects were? Because holy crap, the camera in constant motion, as the black woman emerged from under the white woman's skin was just... wow. That was a technical tour de force. I think it was under-appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 233October 14, 2020 1:57 PM

Hated the pacing of the ending where Hippolyta struggled to keep the portal open while Leti and Montrose took their time having their, allthough impactful, slo mo moments.

by Anonymousreply 234October 15, 2020 7:01 AM

It's a low rent version of a CW show. It's too bad, it looked promising.

by Anonymousreply 235October 15, 2020 7:14 AM

Not even close to reality R235.

by Anonymousreply 236October 15, 2020 1:30 PM

Great show. The ending was bittersweet.

by Anonymousreply 237October 19, 2020 7:46 PM

No word yet from HBO on whether there will be a second season.

by Anonymousreply 238October 19, 2020 7:51 PM

The final battle was a little corny, but it wasn’t too bad. You could see the sister twist coming from a mile off.

by Anonymousreply 239October 19, 2020 7:53 PM

I will always love Jurnee because of Eve’s Bayou. But also because she’s just a really good actress. She draws me to her projects because I enjoy her performances.

by Anonymousreply 240October 19, 2020 7:54 PM

Over-all, an excellent series, but I didn't really feel that they stuck the landing in that finale. It was just okay, when they set us up for mind-blowing in the last few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 241October 20, 2020 2:23 AM

I thought the performances were strong. The story was not there. Many plot holes and it never came together in the way that I hoped. It did have its moments. Overall I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 242October 20, 2020 2:39 AM

Truly over-the-top finale; nothing like the book.

by Anonymousreply 243October 20, 2020 3:04 AM

I would not mind if there is no season 2. More episodes would mean another villain which I feel is unnecessary.

I didn't understand why the little girl left the car to kill Christina. Or how she's going to explain that robot arm to anyone that sees.

by Anonymousreply 244October 20, 2020 4:39 AM

Just before the drive to the big showdown, Hippolyta took her into the room with whirring steampunk machines from another planet (off-camera), where apparently show got her withered arm chopped off and replaced with the mech. arm; yeah, a totally dishonest gag played on the audience; also nothing like it in the book. Also, Atticus doesn't die in the book.

by Anonymousreply 245October 20, 2020 5:05 AM

Lovecraft Country's journey towards the finale is actually more thrilling and magical than the finale itself.

by Anonymousreply 246October 20, 2020 2:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!