Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christina Crawford is actually a decent actress

I wonder why her career didn't go further. Sure she had the last name that critics could poke at but obviously she looks and sounds nothing like Joan. You could tell Christina had good training

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 28, 2020 6:28 PM

Yet all you hear from her is her drunk-ass mother replacing her on [italic]The Secret Storm[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2020 8:27 PM

she was supposed to be terrible in “Barefoot In The Park” and couldn’t take direction, ignored her marks, tried to improvise, acted like an entitled Hollywood daughter etc. No one wanted to work with her after that.

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2020 8:29 PM

Myrna Loy took Joan's side against her and was a total bitch to her. I lost respect for Loy after that.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2020 8:29 PM

R3 these celebs publicly spoke out supporting Christina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2020 8:32 PM

[quote] I wonder why her career didn't go further.

For reasons that are well known to her.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2020 8:33 PM

The defenses I remember hearing of Joan's actions and the attacks made against Christina were mostly of the kind Cheryl Crane says her mother told her: "In this town, we stick by one another." I remember Ginger Rogers getting upset about the book on some talk show and insisting she was glad she never had children so they wouldn't betray her--as if it the unforgivable act were not the abuse but telling someone about it.

The stories Natalie Schafer and June Allyson tell at r4 are pretty horrible, and they corroborate the accusations made against Joan in the book. These aren't just instances of strict mothering; these are clear instances of sadism.

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2020 8:42 PM

It must be in her genes.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2020 8:53 PM

There were a big article many years back - maybe VF - that interviewed many - even Joan detractors - that said she could be cold, strict, but Christina made up a lot of this - including her brother Christopher who recanted much later, saying she'd paid him. Joan was no angel but I suspect Joan physically beat her.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2020 10:19 PM

Myrna Loy had worked the daughter in Barefoot, and said what R2 stated. I don't think she actually took Joan's side.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 10:21 PM

Link, or it never existed, r8.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2020 12:52 AM

She has a Glenn Close quality.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2020 2:01 AM

R4, that shit about the chocolate is straight out of Matilda. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2020 2:07 AM

Christopher Crawford never recanted his story r8.

Helen Hayes, Betty Hutton and Eve Arden backed Christina up

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2020 2:20 AM

As has been said here numerous times, Joan should have just sent this ungrateful creature back to the foundling home she came from. If Joan was so bad, she should have tried living the life of the trash who birthed her.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2020 2:23 AM

I told Christina to ‘break a leg.’ I tried repeatedly to help her do it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2020 2:32 AM

Betty Hutton was a horrible mother to her three daughters. They were estranged from her most of their lives, and none of them came to her funeral.

However, two of Joan's children defended her as a mother.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2020 2:33 AM

She didn’t put out for Harvey Weinstein. I wonder if turning him down was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 2:43 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2020 8:01 PM

R16 that still doesn’t mean Betty Hutton didn’t see joan abusing her kids. Also the twins were 8 years older than Christina and both girls went to boarding school from an early age.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2020 8:11 PM

"However, two of Joan's children defended her as a mother."

Always the last grasp for Crawford fans who cannot accept that their Queen Bee was an child abuser. Assuming you people are adults and not teenagers, the question you should ask yourselves is, why can't you separate Joan's film performances from her personal life?

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2020 8:17 PM

Blow it out your ear R20.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2020 9:17 PM

^ teenager

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2020 11:50 PM

Honestly, I'm shocked she had time to abuse children given how she spent all her time with her dicktrap spread open just in case a man fell in.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2020 12:57 AM

R19 - I think you meant to say that the twins were 8 years YOUNGER than Christina. But yes, they seemingly had a different life and I suspect that Joan was a different parent depending very much upon what was or was not happening with her career and love life.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2020 1:07 AM

Just because one child in a family is abused does not mean all of them must be abused (at least not physically). There were 5 kids in my family and I was the only one who got beat up regularly.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2020 1:27 AM

Christina was an ungrateful little shit.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2020 2:57 AM

Joan was better with "the twins" (who were not actual twins, though she referred to them as such) than she was with Christina and Christopher. She raised the two older kids primarily in the 40s, when she was super-insecure regarding her career (that was the decade she was fired by Metro & was desperate to win an Oscar) and to still be regarded as sexually attractive; the later two girls were ten years younger, and were raised primarily in the 50s and 60s, when Joan was more used to her position as a hasbeen, was no longer trying to find hot young men interested in her, and also realized how much she had alienated Christina and Christopher by being so controlling and abusive. The younger girls' upbringing was very strict, but it was not the horrorshow Christina and Christopher experienced.

p.s.--Anyone who excuses or casts doubt upon the abusive horrors Christina and Christopher went through--which have been corroborated multiple times by multiple people, as the above posts attest--is a complete fucking POS.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2020 4:52 AM

POS here! I think Christina is a money grubbing phony and Christopher was a drunk loser.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2020 11:37 AM

And I cosign R28.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2020 12:46 PM

[R27] Cindy and Cathy were indeed fraternal twins.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2020 3:29 PM

Christina exaggerated her stories to sell books, which is not to say that Joan wasn't abusive but MOMMIE DEAREST was written for money and revenge - and it shows. Christina was never hospitalized with broken bones, lacerations, etc. at Joan's hand. There's a difference between "denying abuse" and putting things into perspective. According to many accounts, Christina was a spoiled, selfish little monster who felt entitled to anything she wanted -which was the opposite of Joan's upbringing. There's a story about Elvis Presley nearly slapping Christina on the set of WILD IN THE COUNTRY because she was so obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2020 3:36 PM

She threw a drink in Elvis's face and he told his Memphis Mafia to "get that bitch out of here."

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2020 3:38 PM

"MOMMIE DEAREST was written for money and revenge - and it shows."

That's what they ALWAYS SAY about every unflattering book about a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2020 5:33 PM

Christina lost contact with Christopher before he died. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2020 7:29 PM

Christopher wanted nothing to do with her either.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2020 9:08 PM

Ah, but nobody ever said life was fair, Tina. I'm bigger and I'm faster. I will always beat you.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote]Christina exaggerated her stories to sell books, which is not to say that Joan wasn't abusive but MOMMIE DEAREST was written for money and revenge - and it shows.

No, dear. Stop being a stereotypical fag making excuses for abusive women because you deem them as bad-ass divas. It's a bad look. Joan should have been locked up.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Joan clearly favored the twins and the twins were most likely super obedient sycophants which is one of the things that Joan craved. Selective abuse where some children are abused and the rest are favored/spared does happen. It's more common than people think.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2020 6:08 PM

Interesting how even though some celebs spoke out and shared stories of witnessing Joan being cruel to her children that some posters here still think Christina is a liar

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2020 8:07 PM

How come Tina Darling has never tried to make a life for herself? She revels in self pity and victim hood

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2020 8:11 PM

And your point it, R40? Christina's life is entertainment for other, I (we) could give a shit if she revels in self pity and victim hood.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2020 9:43 PM

what about the celebrities who said Joan was a strict but not abusive mother? Even the twins said Joan was very strict.

Christina was on Larry king one night and she explained how the meeting stopped around age 13. Christina said she realized that in order to not get killed she would have to stop having a bad attitude, have to pick up her room, do her chores, and not talk back. In other words, behave like all children of that era were expected to behave.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2020 10:51 PM

*beating, not meeting

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2020 10:51 PM

No one on here has claimed that Joan was mother of the year, but that doesn't mean that Christina didn't shade and color things to sell books. And Joan never got to tell her side of the story.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2020 11:37 PM

Joan got the delicious revenge of cutting Christina out of the will. It triggered 43 years of jealousy from Christina, although some might say she’s made an industry from it.

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2020 1:24 AM

Did the twins get anything? They were basically cut out of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2020 3:51 AM

Dl falling for and overrating the nepotist case Nr. 33487503

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2020 9:10 AM

R6 June Allyson was a well known alcoholic. Natalie Schafer's performance in that comedy show from the 1960s wasn't acting - she really was that daffy and clueless.

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2020 9:19 AM

It definitely bothered me over the years that Christina seemed to get angrier and angrier. Rather than wisdom leading to an understanding of why Joan was the way she was, and forgiveness, Tina just seems to dislike her more as the years go on.

In the latest round of publicity for the 40th anniversary of the book in 2018, she took to speculating that Joan probably killed her husband Al Steel by pushing him down the steps and causing a heart attack. I thought that was pretty low of Christina. There is absolutely no evidence of this.

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2020 9:26 AM

Joan was possessed by demons

by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2020 9:42 AM

[quote]It definitely bothered me over the years that Christina seemed to get angrier and angrier.

Because that is all she has left and shows who she really is. At some point healthy people make peace with the past, you just don't keep wallowing in things you can't change.

by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2020 1:03 PM

Off-topic, but It has to be said: James Brolin was so fucking gorgeous back in the day!

by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2020 1:19 PM

the twins each got $77k, which adjusted for inflation is around half a million. Joan had a couple of million left over and she bequeathed most of it to charity. The twins also received Joan’s possessions, in particular Joan’s jewels, Adrian gowns, and Billy Haines furniture (which sold for millions at auction) and Joan’s Oscar which was sold for around $75k.

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2020 1:35 PM

Christina

Crawford

is a

Crunt.

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2020 1:39 PM

Isn’t a crunt something you get at Winchell’s?

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2020 5:02 PM

Poor misunderstood Joan.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2020 6:18 PM

Christina and Christopher both sued the twins for their share of Joan's fortune after the infamous omission and after a few years back and forth, they gave them both small chunks of their shares of Joan's fortune probably to get rid of them. I think that was what happened in that TV show about celebrity wills.

I would still love to see a new film adaption of Mommie Dearest that is serious and completely faithful to the source material and properly cast with a good well known director at the helm.

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2020 11:52 PM

I. AM. NOT. ONE. OF, YOUR. FAAANNNNSS!!

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote] Anyone who excuses or casts doubt upon the abusive horrors Christina and Christopher went through--which have been corroborated multiple times by multiple people, as the above posts attest--is a complete fucking POS.

That includes the twins, though.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2020 11:57 PM

R9, Myrna had issues with Christina long before "Mommie Dearest" was published.

When Christina entered the viewing room at Campbell's Funeral Home for Joan's wake, Myrna promptly got up and left the room.

by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2020 12:04 AM

Myrna Loy is a cunt cunt cunt

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2020 12:11 AM

#TeamChristina

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2020 12:12 AM

#TeamJoan

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2020 12:18 AM

R62 Is Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2020 12:19 AM

R64 is Myrna Loy's yeasty pussy

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2020 12:21 AM

That was sarcasm, in case you didn't know, JOANBOTS.

by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2020 12:42 AM

R66 Sarcasm can be..........(pause)

(pause)

(pause)

...............taken the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 67August 24, 2020 12:44 AM

R67 = Joanbot with limited comprehension, limited life :(

by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2020 12:48 AM

R68 Fuck yourself with a rusty lead pipe, you fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote] the twins each got $77k, which adjusted for inflation is around half a million.

More like $350K

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2020 4:01 AM

There were rumours that a lot of Joan's fortune was 'wilted' away by Christina. She got found out by Joan who allegedly slapped Christina.

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2020 4:57 AM

Joan’s fortune was wilted away by Joan herself. She didn’t have as much acting work so she had to live off her fortune. Pepsi stopped paying her by the early 70s so she adjusted her lifestyle accordingly, by moving into a succession of smaller (although well appointed) apartments at a less fashionable address. She also traveled less and ate out less. She lived very simply, but kept busy with her correspondence which she took extremely seriously. She didn’t even have a full time maid towards the end, ‘Mamacita’ only came in a few times a week although Joan was fastidious with cleaning and tackled most of it herself anyway. By the time of her death I don’t think Joan even had a maid, as Mamacita had quit for good. But Joan wasn’t bedridden until her last week of life and continued with her daily activities.

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2020 1:39 PM

Our Joanie was an OCD bitch before they called it OCD.

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2020 1:43 PM

In the film of Mommie Dearest, before Joan's death, there's a scene of Christina accepting some award at a televised ceremony hosted by Richard Chamberlain that Joan is watching live from her sickbed. Do any of you Joan experts know what award that was supposed to have been? Or was it all made up for the film?

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2020 1:45 PM

R58, classic!

I. AM. NOT. ONE. OF, YOUR. FAAANNNNSS!!

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2020 2:04 PM

Joan tried repeatedly to nab a guest appearance on "Marcus Welby" with her former co-star Robert Young, but it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 76August 24, 2020 2:09 PM

She must have been STEAMING mad when Christina got her guest spot instead.

As a nun!

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2020 2:12 PM

R74, I think the award was dramatic license. They wanted to show that there was some thawing in the relationship of friends two women but more importantly the director wanted to show Joan living in reduced circumstance. Joan’s apartment, the smallest one that she lived until her death, was featured in Architectural Digest. It was well decorated and furnished with bright contemporary style. Joan didn’t live on a mattress stacked on the floor as in the scene, at one point Joan ordered a new bed and the mattresses were temporarily on the floor until it was delivered.

by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2020 2:21 PM

[R72] Joan moved from the apartment she shared with Al Steele at Imperial House to a smaller unit in the same building. She received something like a 50K per year pension from Pepsi (a very substantial sum in the 1970's), she had occasional roles, book sales and her jewels. Joan was financially well-off but she lived sensibly. That brief scene in MOMMIE DEAREST where Joan is watching the awards show while laying in a mattress on the floor was a cheap shot to mislead the audience that she was hard up. She actually did put her mattress on the floor for a short time but it was due to back pain, not hardship. Christina is a drama queen and a failed actress who envied Joan.

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2020 3:05 PM

I know R79. I wrote that in post 79

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2020 4:54 PM

post 78, I meant

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2020 4:54 PM

She was in Jason Goulds short film "Inside Out"

Bubele wrote, directed and starred in the short, playing the gay son of two famous parents who joins a support group for children of celebrities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2020 4:57 PM

The award ceremony that Christina appears at was modeled after a lecture series held in NYC in the early 70s called Great Ladies of the American Cinema. Other participants on different evenings included Myrna Loy, Rosalind Russell, Lana Turner, Sylvia Sidney, and Bette Davis. It wasn't an award, and of course, Joan appeared. But I've seen photos from the series and the stage looked exactly like the way they set up the awards for the film.

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2020 6:34 PM

A decent actress? If awards were given to children who act like spoiled brats and pint-sized harlots, Christina would be right up there.....right beside a little temptress tot I know.

by Anonymousreply 84August 24, 2020 6:37 PM

"Joan moved from the apartment she shared with Al Steele at Imperial House to a smaller unit in the same building"

No, darling. Joan moved to the newly build Imperial House on 69th and Lex. THEN she moved to a smaller apt on the same high floor in the same building. 22nd floor with an balcony. I cried for her :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 26, 2020 12:46 AM

[quote] she took to speculating that Joan probably killed her husband Al Steel by pushing him down the steps and causing a heart attack

Funny since isn't that how Bette Davis supposedly offed one of her husbands?

by Anonymousreply 86August 26, 2020 1:00 AM

I think she went from a four bedroom to a one bedroom,. Supposedly the set Ryan Murphy had built for ‘Feud’ is accurate down to the most minute details. However at Joan’s death Mamacita had already moved on and I think went to live with one of her daughters in another state, Joan died in her sleep with I think one of her neighbors present.

by Anonymousreply 87August 26, 2020 1:32 AM

In her later years, Katharine Hepburn said she never regretted not having children because she knew she would've been a shit mother. Too bad Joan and some other actresses from that era weren't as self-aware.

by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2020 1:40 AM

[quote]Joan was better with "the twins" (who were not actual twins, though she referred to them as such)

They really were fraternal twins, they found their birth parents later in life. Both of the twins are now dead.

by Anonymousreply 89August 26, 2020 1:41 AM

"I think she went from a four bedroom to a one bedroom,"

She went from an eight room to a six room. Nothing to cry about in NYC .

by Anonymousreply 90August 26, 2020 1:44 AM

Liza also lived at Imperial House, and Lucille Ball kept an apartment there. I imagine between Joan, Liza and Lucy the whole building reeked of vodka and cigs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 26, 2020 1:53 AM

such an unfashionable part of town though. Not a bad neighborhood but not very noteworthy either. Nothing to really recommend it other than proximity to the 6 train. The price must have been right, and when Joan bought in the building was new. That must have appealed to her, everything spotless and new.

by Anonymousreply 92August 26, 2020 2:05 AM

Lex between 68th and 69th certainly isn't the poshest part of the UES (back in the days when that kind of thing mattered) but it was still a pretty nice neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 93August 26, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] Both of the twins are now dead.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 94August 26, 2020 2:31 AM

I didn't know the twins had died. I suppose Christina contested their wills. It is a wonder she has written, a word I use loosely, a book about them.

by Anonymousreply 95August 26, 2020 4:00 AM

Christopher died too, Christina is the only one left. She's 81 now.

by Anonymousreply 96August 26, 2020 4:09 AM

R96 What a wasted life

by Anonymousreply 97August 26, 2020 4:11 AM

Christina seems to have done alright for herself.

by Anonymousreply 98August 26, 2020 4:11 AM

R88, in those days lesbians didn't have children, Hepburn's comment had nothing to do with her lack of mothering skills.

by Anonymousreply 99August 26, 2020 12:02 PM

I still say Faye Dunaway is worse. At least Joan Crawford attacked heterosexuals. She never would’ve treated Billy Haines that way.

by Anonymousreply 100August 26, 2020 4:47 PM

or Cesar Romero either, her two best friends.

by Anonymousreply 101August 26, 2020 9:52 PM

Didn't she change her will when she was told Tina was writing a book about her?

by Anonymousreply 102August 26, 2020 10:48 PM

that’s what an article in Vanity Fair alleges.

by Anonymousreply 103August 27, 2020 12:05 AM

[R102] Yes - another of Christina's lies. Christina did not write MOMMIE DEAREST in the wake of Joan's death to deal with her "complex" feelings and to bring the issue of child abuse to the fore. Christina helps herself, not others. She was already publicly feuding with Joan at the end of Joan's life, knew that Joan was ill, and enjoyed the fruits of timing Joan's death correctly. Joan knew Christina was writing an unflattering book about her at the time of her death.

by Anonymousreply 104August 27, 2020 12:55 AM

She is an ugly ungrateful peasant whore!

by Anonymousreply 105August 27, 2020 12:56 AM

"Cesar Romero either, her two best friends."

Darling, Cesar Romaro was a "best friend" and dance partner to dozens of Hollywood matrons. If he was one of Joan's best friends, she must have been one sorry bitch.

by Anonymousreply 106August 27, 2020 1:21 AM

Joan Crawford died on May 10, 1977 and MOMMIE DEAREST was published on October 2, 1978. Do the math. The book was in the works before Joan died. Christina was not a professional writer.

by Anonymousreply 107August 27, 2020 1:22 AM

Is Christina too old to get a life?

by Anonymousreply 108August 27, 2020 1:25 AM

The book, movie, and cultural phenomenon of "Mommie Dearest" have certainly put their marks (bruises?) on three generations of American pop culture, and I have enjoyed the schadenfreude, scandal and scuttle-butt since it started!

Shit, I didn't get smacked or cut out of any will, I'm just grateful for the whole megillah!

by Anonymousreply 109August 27, 2020 1:27 AM

Please. The only reason Joan is revered/remembered today is because of Mommie Dearest. She was a middling actress who campaigned her way to an Oscar and made a fool of herself for the last decade or so of her career. She was a drag queen before drag queens were popular. In the firmament of classic Hollywood era actresses, there is definitely a hierarchy, and without Mommie Dearest, Joan would likely rank somewhere between Roz Russel and Norma Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 110August 27, 2020 3:37 AM

Even at the time of her death, Crawford was a much bigger name than Shearer and Russel. I don't think she'd be forgotten without Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 111August 27, 2020 3:39 AM

Didn’t Joan quit making public appearances after she saw a photo of her and Rosalind Russell and was horrified about how she looked?

Christopher and Christina sued the estate and I think each got around $50k and Christina gave her share to Christopher.

by Anonymousreply 112August 27, 2020 3:47 AM

R110” she was a drag queen before drag queens were popular”

You said it yourself dingbat! That is why “Joan”would always be remembered and be considered a hollywood icon. No one else was like her! Slapping her hideous brat child is not the reason.

by Anonymousreply 113August 27, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote] You said it yourself dingbat! That is why “Joan”would always be remembered and be considered a hollywood icon. No one else was like her! Slapping her hideous brat child is not the reason.

Wrong. Russell was just as big a drag queen as Crawford. And Tallulah Bankhead was a bigger drag queen than both of them put together. That kind of shit is only gonna take you so far. And that's exactly the level Crawford would be at if she hadn't had Mommie Dearest. She had two classic films, and in one of them she was completely overshadowed by Bette Davis.

Case in point- Bette Davis- loved by the gays but also completely transcends that camp ghetto to be respected and revered by everyone.

by Anonymousreply 114August 27, 2020 3:57 AM

Crawford's 40s noir films have never gone out of style. They're iconic.

Yes, Crawford stopped making public appearances after the Roz Russell party because when she saw the pictures in the newspapers the next day she was very upset over how she looked. She spent the last three years of her life as a recluse in her NY apartment.

by Anonymousreply 115August 27, 2020 4:00 AM

[quote] Crawford's 40s noir films have never gone out of style. They're iconic.

Other than Mildred Pierce, they aren't. Sorry. I know you want them to be, but they aren't. Even Stanwyck has more iconic films than Crawford. Hell, even that cunt Myrna Loy does.

by Anonymousreply 116August 27, 2020 4:06 AM

I'm one of Crawford's number 1 fans. I'm in my 40s and I only discovered how awesome she was in my 30s. I didn't know anything about Joan or any classic actor in my teens and 20s.

As much as I detest both the book and the movie, both probably extended Joan's legend status. Same thing with Bette Davis, the song about her eyes introduced her to a new generation. The feud with Joan and her bitchy comments probably helped extend her legend status as well

by Anonymousreply 117August 27, 2020 4:19 AM

Christina needs a kick to the cunt

by Anonymousreply 118August 27, 2020 4:21 AM

Humoresque is pretty iconic. And then you have her 50s campfests like Torch Song and Johnny Guitar.

by Anonymousreply 119August 27, 2020 4:23 AM

[quote]*beating, not meeting

What's the difference?

by Anonymousreply 120August 27, 2020 4:33 AM

We always knew that cunt was rough with her kids. The daughter's book was no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 121August 27, 2020 4:35 AM

the book was already written but it wasn’t released until the following year so as not to make Christina look like the book was triggered by being cut out of the will.

by Anonymousreply 122August 27, 2020 8:23 AM

Bette was shocked by the book and angered by Christina writing it. She believed it was all just an act of revenge by a selfish spoiled child, and while she didn’t like Joan personally she only had positive things to say about her professionally.

by Anonymousreply 123August 27, 2020 8:27 AM

Joan just became more pathetic as the years went by. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 124August 27, 2020 12:12 PM

R2=the ghost of Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 125August 27, 2020 1:12 PM

R122, how would releasing it the following year make any difference in not making it look like she was triggered by being cut out of the will?

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2020 1:26 PM

Mildred Pierce

Humoresque

Daisy Kenyon

Possessed

Flamingo Road

The Damned Don't Cry

Sudden Fear

These mid-career Joan films were all well-received and enjoyed. They are top-rate, stylish noir melodramas, and excellent examples of that genre. They've never really gone out of style and decades later film buffs find them entertaining. Say what you want, but Joan had an solid career making quality films people enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2020 4:49 PM

[R127] You are absolutely correct and the poster upthread doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd also add Johnny Guitar (1954) to her list of important, influential films that are studied and discussed in film schools. Joan and Bette both transcended "women's pictures" and, as others have stated, were responsible for their own genres (Bette's melodramas of the 1940's and Joan's noirs and melodramas of the 1950's).

by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2020 4:57 PM

Joan made some damn good movies in the 40s. A Woman's Face is also excellent.

by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2020 5:40 PM

"The Secret Storm" didn't just have Christina and Joan to contend with. Judy Davis, who played one of the core family members on the show (and may have been on during the time Christina and Joan were there) was the illegitimate daughter of Clark Gable and Loretta Young. Ms. Loretta claimed that she was adopted, but anyone can see that Judy had her mother's face and her father's ears. Judy wrote a terrific book about it, but unlike Christina's book, Judy seemed to understand why her mother did what she felt she had to do. At the time Joan was on, the director was Gloria Monty who went onto fame turning "General Hospital" into a blockbuster soap. Judy Lewis's grandmother on the show was played by veteran movie supporting player Marjorie Gateson who appeared in "Employee's Entrance" with Loretta and "Chained" with Joan.

by Anonymousreply 130August 27, 2020 7:10 PM

Who did Loretta think she was fooling?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 27, 2020 7:29 PM

Judy Lewis looked like the female version of Clark Gable. No question he was her bio father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 27, 2020 7:31 PM

R123, as I recall, Davis had no problem with Mommie Dearest. I remember her quoted as saying, "at least MY daughter would never write a book about me!"

"Crawford's 40s noir films have never gone out of style. They're iconic."

A few maybe. Problem: no one has seen them, and no one , with the exception of a small portion of gay men, has any desire to see them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 27, 2020 8:36 PM

Judy Lewis was not physically and emotionally abused by Loretta Young. Her book is not a valid comparison to Christina Crawford's.

by Anonymousreply 134August 27, 2020 8:42 PM

R133’s anti Joan hysteria (think of baby Tina! think of baby Christopher!) has tainted her mind into thinking that Bette’s collection of work has stood the test of time any more than Joan’s. “Now Voyager” and “All About Eve” are remembered by the same people who remember “Mildred Pierce” and “Humoresque.”

Personally I find both actresses campy and full of schtick. The only thing interesting remaining are the geriatric queens at The Townhouse Bar in Manhattan who argue about them nightly!

by Anonymousreply 135August 27, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]Problem: no one has seen them, and no one , with the exception of a small portion of gay men, has any desire to see them.

Joan's film noirs are studied in film schools.

by Anonymousreply 136August 27, 2020 11:00 PM

Hey r133, you saying things does not make then true.

Lots of people are into 40s films/classic Hollywood movies.

I like Judy Lewis' book a lot. She died a few years ago and seemed like a nice woman.

by Anonymousreply 137August 27, 2020 11:29 PM

"...anti Joan hysteria" Do you queens acknowledge your JOAN IS THE QUEEN hysteria? It's quite pathological.

by Anonymousreply 138August 28, 2020 1:19 AM

[R137] Exactly. If "nobody" watched such films there wouldn't be a TCM and the classic movies posted on YouTube wouldn't have thousands of hits. I'd speculate that more people have seen MILDRED PIERCE than have seen an episode of, say, DEAD TO ME.

by Anonymousreply 139August 28, 2020 3:01 PM

I know Bette publicly how despicable the book was that she would never read it but didn't Bette's cunt daughter write in her tell-all that Bette called her up laughing gleefully while reading Mommie Dearest and saying it was a terrific read?!

by Anonymousreply 140August 28, 2020 3:45 PM

Bette's daughter BD Hyman was a spoiled rotten cunt who was supported by Bette for decades because BD and her useless husband didn't like to work. Bette spent a fortune on both of them. Bette had her difficulties, but she was in no way the kind of tyrant Joan was and didn't deserve such an ungrateful daughter.

by Anonymousreply 141August 28, 2020 4:46 PM

R141 BD and that hideous cunt Tina are two peas in a pod!

by Anonymousreply 142August 28, 2020 5:51 PM

Christina looks like an Afghan Hound

by Anonymousreply 143August 28, 2020 5:55 PM

BD Hyman now looks like her mother as Baby Jane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 28, 2020 5:57 PM

BD on her mother

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 28, 2020 5:59 PM

BD wrote that she and Bette thought Joan was insane and Christina was peculiar when they all met for a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 146August 28, 2020 6:02 PM

Not true R100.

The impossibly handsome David Manners had a run in with Joan that was so nasty he was like I don't need this shit. He then moved to the desert with his lover. I assume he came from money. He looks like he would.

by Anonymousreply 147August 28, 2020 6:24 PM

Douglas Fairbanks Jr. said when he first married Joan one night when he took off his socks and threw them on the floor Joan flew into a rage. He found that odd.

by Anonymousreply 148August 28, 2020 6:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!