Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kamala Harris calls Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing black, LGBTQ struggles

"ATLANTA — At a breakfast Thursday morning for black women activists in Atlanta, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., called South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing the struggles of black Americans to those in the LGBTQ community during the Democratic primary debate Wednesday night.

“What he did on the stage, it's just not productive,” Harris said to the room of about 200 mostly black women, after explaining that “those of us who've been involved in civil rights for a long time, we know that it is important that we not compare struggles.”

NBC News asked Buttigieg to respond to Harris calling him “naïve” for drawing parallels between being black and being gay. Buttigieg replied that he was not trying to parallel the two experiences

There’s no equating those two experiences. And some people, by the way, live at the intersection of those two experiences," Buttigieg said. "Last night I shared some of my sources for motivation, includes my personal experience, my governing experience and my personal faith.”

The back-and-forth began because of a debate question directed at Harris regarding a stock photo of a Kenyan woman the Buttigieg campaign used while promoting the mayor's Douglass Plan — Buttigieg has since apologized for its use. The plan is aimed at empowering black communities.

During the debate, Harris answered the question by saying some in the Democratic Party have taken the black community’s vote for granted which Buttigieg agreed with. The mayor went on to say that while he has not experienced racial discrimination, he knows the feeling of being an outsider because of his sexuality.

“While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country,” Buttigieg said.

In an interview Wednesday night, Harris called comparing the struggles of marginalized groups “misguided."

“So we’re going to now say that my pain is worse than your pain? We had 400 years of slavery in this country. We had years of lynching," Harris said. "We also have our LGBTQ brothers and sisters who still, under the law, do not have full equality. These are all injustices, but to start comparing one group’s pain to the other is misguided."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 17, 2020 7:15 PM

Not voting for her!

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2020 2:22 AM

R1

Troll.

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2020 2:23 AM

R2' Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2020 2:23 AM

We don’t like fags no how, anyways. They keep stealing our good mens and giving em tha AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2020 2:24 AM

Now the trolls are using this to say she’s homophobic when she’s anything but.

Don’t fall for the trap.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote] What he did on the stage, it's just not productive

Kamala please tell me how this is productive?

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2020 2:26 AM

She and Biden are made for each other. Both are homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2020 2:26 AM

OP = Troll

R1 = Troll and asshole

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2020 2:26 AM

These trolls are trying to influence the election and make you white gays not vote Dem. Don’t fall for it

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 2:28 AM

Kamala is ok but she is a 20 th century neoliberal. She got to where she is because of identity politics. Of course it's to her interest to keep previous progressive allies in their different and separate corners.

What Pete is saying is more for building a unity of interests based on shared struggles. The time of his generation will come because Kamala and her ilk will not be able to deal with the working and lower middle class deplorables they fostered in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 2:28 AM

R8' Aren't you goning to call me racist and sexist too?

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 2:29 AM

R1 that's fine, just vote for Biden. Otherwise, you're voting for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2020 2:29 AM

OH! Of course OP and R1 and others of this dead thread are all the same troll.

Nice try, Boris Tucker. Now eat shit and go the way of Trump's waist and Russian democracy.

As in:

Kamala Harris calls Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing black, LGBTQ struggles "ATLANTA — At a breakfast Thursday morning for black women activists in Atlanta, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., called South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing the struggles of black Americans to those in the LGBTQ community during the Democratic primary debate Wednesday night.

“What he did on the stage, it's just not productive,” Harris said to the room of about 200 mostly black women, after explaining that “those of us who've been involved in civil rights for a long time, we know that it is important that we not compare struggles.”

NBC News asked Buttigieg to respond to Harris calling him “naïve” for drawing parallels between being black and being gay. Buttigieg replied that he was not trying to parallel the two experiences

There’s no equating those two experiences. And some people, by the way, live at the intersection of those two experiences," Buttigieg said. "Last night I shared some of my sources for motivation, includes my personal experience, my governing experience and my personal faith.”

The back-and-forth began because of a debate question directed at Harris regarding a stock photo of a Kenyan woman the Buttigieg campaign used while promoting the mayor's Douglass Plan — Buttigieg has since apologized for its use. The plan is aimed at empowering black communities.

During the debate, Harris answered the question by saying some in the Democratic Party have taken the black community’s vote for granted which Buttigieg agreed with. The mayor went on to say that while he has not experienced racial discrimination, he knows the feeling of being an outsider because of his sexuality.

“While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country,” Buttigieg said.

In an interview Wednesday night, Harris called comparing the struggles of marginalized groups “misguided."

“So we’re going to now say that my pain is worse [more]

Kamala Harris calls Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing black, LGBTQ struggles Not voting for her!

Kamala Harris calls Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing black, LGBTQ struggles R2' Fuck you.

Kamala Harris calls Pete Buttigieg "naive" for comparing black, LGBTQ struggles She and Biden are made for each other. Both are homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2020 2:29 AM

R12, i'm not voting for Biden as long as she's on the ticket. No ma'am.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2020 2:31 AM

She’s not Trump and Pence. That’s enough to me.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2020 2:32 AM

FF OP

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2020 2:32 AM

Ban OP from DL

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2020 2:32 AM

R11 also is the OP.

Enough of this crap. It's a racist, homophobic gay creature who posts how everyone loves Dolly Parton but then drops this turd.

K*ll it with fire, troll.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2020 2:33 AM

R17, Ban me for posting what she said? You guys are no different from Trump cultists.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2020 2:34 AM

The US deserve the leader it gets.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2020 2:34 AM

And so it begins. Throw the gay community under the bus. I'll still vote for Biden, but I'm sick of this. And "banning OP' doesn't make the issue go away.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2020 2:34 AM

R18, Ive never posted anything about Dolly Parton.

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2020 2:34 AM

The Democratic debates were over many months ago. A rehashed old article.

Troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2020 2:35 AM

Every country gets the leadership it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2020 2:35 AM

Still voting for her but this is more of her tin ear for politics. Idiotic for her to go near it. She’s damn lucky Trump is that bad if she’s going to keep putting her foot in it. But it’s not really the best thing for a long-term presidential campaign, when people voted for you the first time because they had to.

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2020 2:36 AM

R23, A lot of things are getting rehashed since she's now the VP pick. Whats your problem?

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2020 2:36 AM

R19, we are voting Biden-Harris, donating money to them, and gonna make sure our friends and family do the same. Anyone who is not with our goal is our enemy. You are not welcome here or amongst the LGBT community. Begone!

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2020 2:36 AM

Kamalas media sycophants were extremely homophobic. Zerlina Maxwell, Joy Reid, Jason Johnson, etc. I hate to see them winning.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2020 2:38 AM

*Joy Reid likes this*

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2020 2:38 AM

R27, You're complete dumbass- lgbt people are votes to them and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2020 2:38 AM

R10: She got to where she is by fucking her way to the top.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2020 2:39 AM

I never liked Kamala. She is a snake. She is only out for herself and the blacks. Can you imagine if Pete has said he is only going to help LGBTQ people get homes?? She might be a better option than the orange ass wipe, but that doesn’t make her a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2020 2:40 AM

R28

Fuck off troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2020 2:40 AM

Well since she’s not perfect, let’s just have Trump win! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2020 2:41 AM

This is from November 2019. The world was different. If she says it again, let's discuss it then.

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2020 2:41 AM

Rightwing trolldar on this thread. Easy to FF and ban them en masse!

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2020 2:42 AM

Buttigieg endorsed Harris for VP. Biden even consulted with Buttigeig before naming Harris as VP choice. Harris & Buttigieg aren't having a fuss about anything. The fight is with Trump-Pence, not Buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 37August 15, 2020 2:42 AM

Its lowdown for Kamala to use the gay issue to try to clown Buttigieg. Defenitely not voting for her.

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2020 2:43 AM

This is from November 2019. The world was different. If she says it again, then discuss it.

by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2020 2:43 AM

OP is named Lyudmila and likes her borscht ice cold!

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2020 2:44 AM

He had to compare them because that was the basis of angry denunciations of him by South Bend civil rights leaders. She's just twitmayer judging someone she doesn't know and sounding pretty stupid in the bargain. In that respect, she's a good fit for Biden. They are both mediocrities.

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2020 2:45 AM

Sorry. She's got my vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 15, 2020 2:45 AM

Did anyone see Buttigieg on Real Time tonight?

by Anonymousreply 43August 15, 2020 2:47 AM

This is from November 2019. The world was different. If she says it again, then discuss it.

by Anonymousreply 44August 15, 2020 2:47 AM

We see you OP.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2020 2:53 AM

Theres more anger at me for peosting what she said than at Kamala for actually saying it.

You guys arent cultists at all.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2020 2:55 AM

Kamala always wants to sound so smart...until you realize she isn't. Still better than Trump by far.

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2020 2:56 AM

Here's real news for you, Boris. A good troll is up-to-date on Caitlyn and the Kardashians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2020 2:58 AM

R48, Hon you're the one who's real impressed with Kamala Fuckin' Harris. The kardasians are right up up our alley

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2020 2:59 AM

R46

Go to sleep!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2020 2:59 AM

10 bucks days r48 thinks Cardi B's WAP is a an impressive work of art celebrating blacks womens' sexualities.

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2020 3:01 AM

OP is vile

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2020 3:02 AM

R49 R51

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2020 3:03 AM

R52, Am J vile for posting hat she said or is she vile for saying it or is Joe Biden vile for picking someone whose said what she said?

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2020 3:04 AM

yes, ff and i mean fist fuck all these trolls.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2020 3:05 AM

Exactly. We are not going to alllow them To thrive on an LGBT forum. Come here and get outted and clowned.

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2020 3:08 AM

R55, Stop right there. Not everyone who doesnt like Harris or Biden are trolls or like Trump. Some people see all career politicians as corrupt or are progressives. They are entitles to their opinions and to voice them.

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2020 3:11 AM

Your immature, Peter Pan mindset at a time such as this is just as dangerous as being a Trumper. The fact that you don’t seeing beating Trump and his followers as the most important goal of our time speaks volumes about you, and how you are not one who shares our best interest.

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2020 3:13 AM

This was when they were running against each other. Bygones.

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2020 3:15 AM

R58, Nah. It doesnt matter ir Biden or Trump is in office. Nothing ever changes. Both are corrupt and evil and only exist to serve the rich.

Thats why good candidates like Bernie got shafted by the dnc.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2020 3:15 AM

Kamala is A drunk. Her poor husband

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2020 3:16 AM

Bernie isn’t a democrat R60. Why wouldn’t the DNC protect the Democratic Party from someone who isn’t a member of the party?

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2020 3:17 AM

R62, thats true you have to be a soulless corporate asshole who is beholen to billionaires to be a good democrat

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2020 3:19 AM

The future of the Democratic Party is Kamala Harris. The Republican Party is in a tailspin, really. It's a mess.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2020 3:19 AM

That was MONTHS ago during the debates. They all say shit to each other during debates - your even saw Biden and Harris do it to each other.

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2020 3:23 AM

FUCK her. And I do mean FUCK her. She drilled her worn out puss to get to where she is. Buttigiege worked his ass off, served the country and is still treated like the town faggot.

Fuck this high yellow, fake Afro-proud bitch. And fuck her being Vice President! Now come for me cunts. I don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2020 3:32 AM

this web forum will run riot with trolls

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2020 3:34 AM

Just FF and BLOCK these fucking trolls. God am I sick of them. FUCK OFF TROLLS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2020 3:36 AM

Black women will vote in huge turnout numbers! Indian Americans and Asians in general will turnout in great numbers to vote in Biden due to her being on the ticket. Republicans wanna play the margins? Biden blocked the fucker

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2020 3:37 AM

This was thoroughly discussed last year, when it happened. It was disingenuous, yes, as Pete was very careful to state that he was NOT comparing the two, but she was hardly the only one to state this, and some were far more nasty about it.

In primary season the candidates deliberately paint what their opponents say in the worst light. It happens every time. Kamala isn't talking about Pete now, and really has no reason to, at least until such time as an administration position for him is announced.

This is a feeble attempt at a purity test, and an attempt to push people away from voting for Biden/Harris.

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2020 3:39 AM

Not voting for this bitch! Hate the homophobia that she and her supporters partake in and represent.

Not to mention the guy shes running with has one of the most anti gay records in congressional history.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 3:42 AM

Hideous, fat Division Troll and her ugly, cunty mom are trying too hard these days.

Well, then I say FUCK THEM. And hope they gag and die soon.

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 3:42 AM

Pete needs to get a job and prove he has helped solve real issues. Saving an old automobile warehouse is not enough. South Bend is a fuckin mess.

by Anonymousreply 73August 15, 2020 3:43 AM

R73, He should lock up more blacks and send parents to jail for their kids truancy.

by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2020 3:44 AM

Not to mention that Kamala Harris is one of the biggest proponents of the gay community and has been for at least over a decade. She is likely a bigger fan of Mayor Pete than most of the other primary candidates (and a FAR bigger fan than any GOP scumbags). So again - FF, BLOCK and FUCK OFF OP troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 15, 2020 3:47 AM

Thanks, OP. After becoming aware of this, I've decided to not vote this year. It's not like Trump will appoint judges/justices with life tenure that will vote on gay rights.. I just don't see the point anymore.

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2020 3:52 AM

I love Kamala!

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2020 3:59 AM

It really is insensitive for a heterosexual woman to police what a gay man can say and what kind of analogies we can draw regarding our own history.

by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2020 4:02 AM

I don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2020 4:03 AM

Then you're a homophobe, OP.

by Anonymousreply 80August 15, 2020 4:03 AM

R79, Then keep scrolling. This thread is for folks that dont like politicians using homophobia for political gain.

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2020 4:05 AM

Pete was way ahead of the curve on pot legalization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2020 4:07 AM

[quote]FUCK her. And I do mean FUCK her. She drilled her worn out puss to get to where she is.

Stop! No more mean comments about LadyG.

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2020 10:44 AM

I don't get the gay men on here calling the OP a troll because he is upset that Kamala said something quite insensitive about the gay experience. Don't get me wrong, I am voting for Biden, I hate Trump and Pence and I object to calling her names or racism but I also object to a non-gay person somehow saying my struggle is not "as good" as her struggle. C'mon, a beautiful heterosexual, highly educated, light skinned woman from a privileged background cannot honestly sit there and say she knows the struggle of poorer African-Americans AND then come with some preachy comparison to mine.

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2020 11:17 AM

R84, you are easily distracted dude

by Anonymousreply 85August 15, 2020 11:48 AM

This has me so riled up I almost spilled Postum on my weekend caftan.

by Anonymousreply 86August 15, 2020 11:55 AM

R84 - maybe I misunderstood but I just don't like people, and especially women with privilege, claiming to understand the gay experience. I love to read about and try my best to understand the African-American experience and I know I I can't because I am a gay white man. I want the same from my elected officials. And yes, I will be voting for her and Biden because a misstep is much less disgusting than what the religious right does. If I am not getting it, call me stupid, but don't claim to know my experience.

by Anonymousreply 87August 15, 2020 12:05 PM

R7 Biden an homophobe? The same Biden that was in favour of gay marriage before Obama is an homophobe? good one

by Anonymousreply 88August 15, 2020 12:08 PM

Precisely bro

by Anonymousreply 89August 15, 2020 12:20 PM

R88, Yeah being a month ahead of Obama on gay marriage excuses decades of homophobia on his congressional record.

by Anonymousreply 90August 15, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote]I don't get the gay men on here calling the OP a troll because he is upset that Kamala said something quite insensitive about the gay experience.

Pete's #1 supporter and black guy here. I'm not saying that my thinking is correct, but this is how I see it. White gay men have the cloak of whiteness to insulate them from a lot of shit. Now, our more flamboyant white compadres may not enjoy that benefit, but your average everyday white gay isn't experiencing discrimination on the same level as a visible minority.

Pete, whom I adore, can walk though life and never have to deal with certain aspects of being an other until he makes it known that he's an other. And I am not saying that the types of discrimination that all gays face isn't awful, but the type of discrimination that comes just from being a different color can be soul crushing.

by Anonymousreply 91August 15, 2020 5:42 PM

If you’re gay and even considering thinking of voting for her and Biden, Don’t. They’re going to push for the transing of gay kids. Don’t fall for heir BS!

by Anonymousreply 92August 15, 2020 5:44 PM

All discrimination in any form shares similarities in the reasons for the discrimination, the way in which it manifests itself, and how it impacts the targets of that discrimination.

For instance, discrimination against women is the same in all those aspects all over the world. It makes no difference if it is in a white, black, Asian or whatever dominated or majority society, culture or country.

Having said that there are also different aspects to discrimination and its effects depending on the form of discrimination.

Acknowledging similarities and differences should never be used as a weapon. Discussions of those similarities and differences should never be censored.

by Anonymousreply 93August 15, 2020 5:58 PM

A 268-day article? You can do better then that, Vlad.

by Anonymousreply 94August 15, 2020 6:05 PM

My cross is bigger than your cross!

by Anonymousreply 95August 15, 2020 6:28 PM

[quote] If you’re gay and even considering thinking of voting for her and Biden, Don’t. They’re going to push for the transing of gay kids. Don’t fall for heir BS!

Not if the truth comes out. When sane people learn of what transing kids really does to them and the reasons why this has been kept hidden they usually wake up and oppose it. That's why you cannot speak too often or loudly enough about this very recent phenomenon of transing kids and trying to lower the age for sexually related decisions.

The UK is beginning to wake up and some action is being taken to reverse or stop it.

Hey, teachers, leave those kids alone!!

by Anonymousreply 96August 15, 2020 6:55 PM

All the people who threws dirt on gays during the primary will win if Kamala and Biden win the elction I was going to vote for her and Joe until I started look online and this article as one of the first things i saw. All these people care about is trannys anyways' gays are just useful idiots for them.

I had forgotten how kamala's (and then Warren's) media sycophants threw the race card around to to destroy the first opnely gay candidate.

by Anonymousreply 97August 15, 2020 8:13 PM

R91, I'm from the UK so don't really understand the situation in the US. From what you say it sounds like black people in the US are constantly discriminated against every single day and their lives are a huge struggle because of racism. Is this true or is it exaggeration?

by Anonymousreply 98August 15, 2020 8:17 PM

[R96] I know you watched the Biden townhall. He reiterated his support for trans.

by Anonymousreply 99October 17, 2020 6:29 PM

I'm around Pete's age and I used to think the same thing. I thought because both gays and blacks have known what it is like to be treated like absolute shit, that there was a sort of minorities club. While our experiences are very different, that they were also quite similar. I don't agree with Kamala's statements and I believe people like AOC and her squad feel similarly. I realized this when Prop * passed, voted in primarily by blacks. Jesse Jackson telling us we didn't do enough to educate the black community and churches. Fuck that. It's going to be all about minorities and POC. Fuck that "cloak of whiteness" that another poster referenced - that statement is a huge a problem for me. That cloak didn't save gay men from dying of AIDS in the 80's or get them the help that they needed. It didn't save kids like Matthew Shephard or the countless gay youth that have killed themselves in middle school due to extreme bullying or been kicked out of there homes with no places to go.

Pete was in the top 2 and was even leading to a point in the primaries, but was not even given a shot in SC because of the homophobia and black resistance. If Pete had told Kamala to stop playing the race card with he whole "that little girl was me trope", when she grew up more privileged than he, all hell would have broke loose.

To quote Kevin Hart but substituting black for gay: "I have nothing against black people, but I am not an ally." Also, every now and again, LGBT rights will get trotted out in talking points in Biden/Harris campaign when convenient like with the Barrett nomination, but this election is all about blacks and brown minorities. Actually the whole election is really centered around black people period. We had to have a black woman as VP, must get the black vote, mustn't discourage the looting and rioting. They get a pass. That doesn't benefit me in any way. LGBTQ is often not mentioned in the dialogue. We are simply just votes, but neither party gaf about gay men.

by Anonymousreply 100October 17, 2020 7:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!