Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help, I need a gift idea!

It’s my birthday tomorrow, I’m 60, and it’s probably just me and my oldest friend. He’s not well and doesn’t leave his property. I could buy him a bottle of wine but he’s not a big drinker and it seems lazy. I’m thinking of a bouquet of flowers, which is also lazy, but I like them. Any other last minute ideas? Tia.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2020 1:17 AM

Flowers are lovely, and a gift card for wherever interests him.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2020 11:47 PM

How close can you be if you have no idea what to give him?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2020 11:48 PM

Exactly whose fucking birthday is it OP?

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2020 11:48 PM

A hostessing gift would be the flowers. However, why not dazzle your friend by offering a fine Blackamoor brooch? Is his property in the English style or Italian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2020 11:49 PM

Present hole.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2020 11:50 PM

R2, he has everything he wants. He’s 73. I even looked for a nostalgic pictured but don’t have one,

R3, he’s cooking, hmm, a nice dessert would be good but he won’t eat if it‘s prepared elsewhere.

That’s lovely, r4.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2020 11:54 PM

If he doesn't leave much maybe bring some of the world to him? Is there an area in your town where you could grab a basket and make 2 or 3 quick stops to fill it with fresh baked goods, some gourmet meats & cheeses, artisanal pickles or something & quality olive oil or condiments?

Maybe order/pay ahead so you're doing super quick pickup?

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2020 11:58 PM

I had no idea there was such a thing as artisanal pickles. The things I learn on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote] I had no idea there was such a thing as artisanal pickles.

Well, maybe only in Brooklyn, Austin, Portland...

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 12:06 AM

I’m thinking a gift of some small, quaint land. Perhaps, Burgundy?

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 12:09 AM

gotta have a gimmick...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 12:09 AM

How about Lorenzo, 20, versatile, hung, from Milan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2020 12:10 AM

Happy Birthday, Pierre!

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2020 12:22 AM

I’ve already given him one of these, He doesn’t put up a Christmas tree, but he knows I give them away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2020 12:27 AM

Some cheese unless he is constipated, in that case then some figs.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2020 12:31 AM

Thank you, Plum, R13.

There is a surprise party for my twin sister and I, two hours away from my home, at her home. My family has a history of failed plans so I made my own, and local, too, before they finalized theirs. I have an older sister born on the same day, too, she must have felt cheated, and plus I’m still hoping that this COVID thing will be short term.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2020 12:35 AM

Happy Birthday Pierre. I think the flowers sound nice, perhaps find an interesting vase to put them in. So many florists don't offer anything special these days. I think your company shall be enough really, especially since you mention he cooks, and is reticent to eat things others have prepared.

For gift card ideas, perhaps a nice market nearby he likes, since he enjoys cooking. It's nice you're thinking of a gift for him on your birthday.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2020 12:40 AM

Do you feel like baking? You could by the ingredients and make dessert at his place.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2020 12:44 AM

Fuck his hermit ass! Go get you some COVID-free dick to with that bottle of wine. Then phone him later to let him know what he’s missing.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2020 12:55 AM

Chaturbate one-year Gold Star Membership.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Happy Birthday, Pierre! You're hesitant to send flowers, but I think something somewhat ephemeral is in order, based on your description of your friend's circumstances. I love little valuable objects like coins and small antique items, but they can become a bit of a burden at some point. A nice mixed planter is nice, as long as you're willing to adopt the plants if your friend doesn't want the responsibility. I know of some impressive houseplants among my friends that were rescued from arrangements sent in sympathy. My ex has a dracaena that's taller than me, which was only 6" tall when he received it in a mixed planter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2020 1:20 AM

Nobody doesn’t love a gerbil.

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2020 1:21 AM

If you go to Chili's, they'll sing for him if you tell them it's your birthday.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2020 1:25 AM

I’m 60, today!

My gift, at link.

Thanks for the ideas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2020 4:02 AM

I’m still here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2020 4:11 AM

I'm still not sure who had the birthday and who is getting the gifts.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2020 5:02 AM

Cashmere socks. Nobody doesn’t love cashmere socks.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2020 5:55 AM

R26, I had my 60th birthday yesterday, Dinner was at a friend’s, and I try to remember to always bring a gift when someone else is hosting dinner. I brought flowers.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote] R16: There is a surprise party for my twin sister and I, two hours away from my home, at her home. My family has a history of failed plans so I made my own, and local plans, too, before they finalized theirs. I have an older sister born on the same day, tool. She must have felt cheated. Plus, I’m still hoping that this COVID thing will be short term.

I just saw a video of the surprise birthday party in Connecticut. Attending were two children under15 years of age, and at least ten adults, and a dog. There were no masks. There were no gloves, There was hugging all around, except for two who discreetly stood behind an obstacle. These are people who are from different states or intrastate areas and are not usually intimates. It breaks my heart. The least careful person could have passed COVID to everyone there. I’m really saddened by this.

Is this commonplace behavior this summer?

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2020 12:22 AM

For my birthday:

[italic]

When I am an old man I shall wear caftans and earrings

With a red sash which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.

And I shall spend my Social Security on bourbon and butt plugs

And Calvin Klein Velcro sneakers, and say we’ve no money for Duke’s mayo.

I shall lounge wherever I damn well please when I’m tired

And gobble up samples in Aldi and press alarm bells

And run my dick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall flounce about as I please

And pick my nose, though not other people’s noses

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow even more fat

And eat three pounds of carbs, onion rings, and cake at a go

Or only bread and NO pickles for a week

And hoard pencils for dialing the phone.

But now we must have clothes from Barney’s that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not dare to be too sweet

And set a good example for the chickens.

We must have friends to dinner and keep up on the gossip.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear caftans.

[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2020 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!