Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss and celebrate Hollywood legend Joanne Woodward who turned 90 earlier this year

What are on thoughts on Joanne as an actress ,the wife and widow of almost universal sex symbol Paul Newman and as a philanthropist and just her life in general.

The good ,the bad, the inbetween, the dish , the gossip the praise, criticism etc Everything please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 9, 2021 3:03 PM

Isn't she gaga now?

Along with Monica Vitti, Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery, Stella Stevens, Gladys Johns....

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2020 5:41 AM

Interesting list R1. Who else?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2020 5:43 AM

I've not heard that about Jack Nicholson. r1

Yes Joanne is in a care home with advanced dementia I believe and has been for a while so may not have long left.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2020 5:47 AM

R1, I've not heard that about Nicholson, either. Though I just looked on IMDB, and he's not been in a movie in 10 years. Did he still show up at Laker games, pre-corona?

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2020 6:00 AM

She was not an attractive woman at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2020 6:07 AM

Jack Nicholson and Sean Connery haven't been seen in public in quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2020 6:09 AM

r5 Far from ugly though. She did manage to ensnare sex god Paul Newman remember so he must have found her attractive!

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2020 6:11 AM

I find that very handsome men are more drawn to women with big sexy personalities. They take their good looks for granted so an equally beautiful woman is not interesting to them if they're dull.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2020 6:15 AM

What makes a personality sexy in your opinion? r8

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2020 6:18 AM

I've heard Jack Nicholson has been declining in health and struggling with dementia for the past 2-3 years or so. I'm guessing the decades of coke use didn't help. (Sorry to hijack your thread Joanne, but I've never seen one of your films or performances)

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2020 6:21 AM

I love her! A great liberal and wonderful woman from my hometown who doesn't appreciate her at all.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2020 6:26 AM

Connecticut? r11

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2020 6:28 AM

Agree w/R3. She's been ill for about 12 years...so is probably past the playin' with her food stage and getting closer to...well, you know.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2020 6:29 AM

She and Paul were bi.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2020 6:37 AM

Jack Nicholson was last seen presenting at that SNL anniversary a few years ago

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2020 6:42 AM

Really r14? I thought it was just him.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2020 6:46 AM

Nice picture of Joanne with Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2020 9:03 AM

She was beautiful and great in “From the Terrace”

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2020 9:08 AM

Married to gorgeous homosexual tinymeat Paul Newman.

Is Joanne a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2020 9:11 AM

I never got the impression Joanne was a lesbian, especially in the way she was said to have pursued Paul while he was still married. She was determined to have him and got him, even after apparently trying to be away from him.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2020 9:28 AM

r19 Paul Newman gay??

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2020 9:46 AM

"Yes Joanne is in a care home with advanced dementia I believe"

This has been a tabloid rumor for years, I've seen no evidence beyond that. They love to do those "she lost all memories of Paul" bullshit. There could be numerous reasons Joanne has not been seen in public for a while at her age. Perhaps she's lost the ability to walk or see.

I always loved Joanne as an actress, I loved her attraction to character roles where she let her hair down. Newman said that Joanne prefers to play the frump over the glamour puss. he also said she was a far better actor than he is. True, imho.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2020 11:48 AM

She's nice enough, but she's really lost it. She's sitting all day in her rocking chair, staring at the emptiness, and she talk nonsense, I don't understand, she keeps repeating things like ' bearding.... 40years....slutty slutty fag... McQueen... All of them... Why... Why... ' doesn't make sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2020 11:59 AM

She co-starred with George C. Scott in one of my favorite films, They Might Be Giants. Nice performance. I've liked her performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2020 12:02 PM

I dislike her and I couldn’t say why. There’s no there there, except for a slight ping.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2020 12:17 PM

I remember liking The Three Faces of Eve and Rachel, Rachel as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2020 12:22 PM

r23 Naughty!!!😮

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2020 12:32 PM

She was named after Joan Crawford so it must have stung when Joan made that remark about Joanne's Oscar dress.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2020 1:00 PM

Here he's a reading an early story by Margaret Drabble. He was looking for a vehicle for Woodward and himself.

It's from 1964 but her fiction has became much more subtle and powerful since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2020 1:13 PM

r28 Oh dear what remark was this?!😮

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2020 1:25 PM

Jack Nicholson was seen attending Bernie Sanders rally a few months back and he looked perfectly fine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2020 1:37 PM

Except the spare tire, r31.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2020 1:44 PM

I read a interview she did years ago that if there was birth control back in her day, she wouldn’t have had children. How callous of her.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2020 1:54 PM

R24 "They Might Be Giants" is one of my favorite films too from when I was a child. There's a scene where George and Joanne end up in the basement of the Jefferson Market Library. Rue McLanahan is George's dizzy sister-in-law. I love how they roam all over Manhattan, and at the end, create a little parade that leads to Central Park. People of every race and age somehow get caught up in their adventures like they need to find their own Moriarty or windmill to take down. It's fantastic.

Joanne was not a traditional beauty, but when made up for certain parts, she was gorgeous, like Eva Marie Saint or Dina Merrill or Constance Towers. She had to be lit a certain way to capture that side of her, but I think she liked being a character actress who got leading roles. I've still yet to see "Summer Wishes, Summer Dreams" (a hard one to find), but I've noticed in her later films, she photographed a lot better, more elegantly, than she did in many of her films pre-1970.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2020 1:58 PM

Bonnie Franklin stoke her look from Sybil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2020 1:58 PM

Why, R25, because she prevented Paul from having sex with YOU?

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2020 2:38 PM

"I read a interview she did years ago that if there was birth control back in her day, she wouldn’t have had children."

There was plenty of birth control in the 1960s, fool.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2020 2:40 PM

I like her dramatic performances more than her comedy performances - she didn't seem to understand how to do comedy. "Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys" is particularly bad followed closely by "A New Kind of Love."

When she did glamour roles, she looked like a little girl pretending to be grown up in her mother's clothes.

But she supported a lot of good causes and put her money where she thought it would do the most good. One of their daughters is named Melissa - after the character she played in her first movie "Count Three and Pray" - Lissy.

I like to watch her - usually. And I like to think about those audiences who went to see "Picnic" on Broadway when she and Paul as the understudies went on in their roles.....

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2020 3:07 PM

Loved her and Newman in The Long Hot Summer.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2020 3:41 PM

Joanne was the producer for the Off Broadway production for "The Waverly Gallery" starring Eileen Heckart, and even went on when Eileen was having some health issues. They were old family friends, and Eileen, the same age in proximity to Paul, played his mother in "Somebody Up There Likes Me". There's a TV movie starring Joanne and James Garner ("Breathing Lessons") that Eileen has a small part in. The NYPL TOFT division at Lincoln Center has the production of "Arsenic & Old Lace" that Joanne starred in out in Connecticut, and I got to see it. Too bad I wasn't there live. Joanne and Geraldine Page (along with Anne Bancroft) were some of the best actors to come out of the 1950's whose work still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2020 4:04 PM

[quote] Jack Nicholson was seen attending Bernie Sanders rally a few months back and he looked perfectly fine

If you're into obese men, that's your thing.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2020 4:16 PM

Basically a character actress when there weren't a lot of leading roles for them.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2020 4:24 PM

A Meryl Streep prototype r42?

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2020 4:28 PM

She was good in the original A Kiss Before Dying with Robert Wagner. I think she looked better with shorter hair.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2020 4:28 PM

Streep had more glamour. She was a more-actressy, less "pretty" version of Eva Marie Saint. If she's had a bigger stage reputation and did more scenery chewing she might have been a road company Geraldine Page.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2020 4:30 PM

She and Paul supported gay rights before it was common for celebrities to do so

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2020 4:31 PM

I remember seeing "The Effects of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds" several times as kid, quite enjoyed it. I wonder if would still hold up for me all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2020 4:36 PM

Joanne and her husband seemed to have a good life together and did their best to leave a good legacy. I hope she is comfortable in her old age, or at least so far gone that she is oblivious of any indignity in her later years.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2020 4:40 PM

Has Joanne Woodward ever founded with other actresses or celebrities? Any diva clashes or catfights?

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2020 4:46 PM

r49 Above Sorry I meant feuded ^^^

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2020 4:47 PM

R49 Well, Paul Newman's first wife certainly wasn't a fan.

by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2020 5:15 PM

Her best period was really the late Sixties/ early Seventies, when she got so many great roles: "Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams," "Rachel, Rachel," "The Effect of Gamma Rays" and "They Might Be Giants."

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2020 5:33 PM

What helped Joanne Woodward tremendously as an actress was that she seemed like the neighbor next door, someone your parents would invite over for drinks on the weekend. She was natural, much more that Streep.

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2020 6:12 PM

r53 Underrated and underappreciated in your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2020 7:10 PM

This cut off on my threadwatcher as "Let's discuss and celebrate Hollywood legend Joanne Wo..." and so I hoped it would be about Hollywood legend Joanne Worley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2020 7:15 PM

Perhaps today, R54. She was much appreciated and rated perfectly from the 1960s through the mid 1970s. What some of you want to do is to rate Joanne Woodward as a Movie Star when she was more of an actress who was in movies. I think she probably loved that.

by Anonymousreply 56August 14, 2020 7:17 PM

r56 Did she ever outshine her husband?

by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2020 8:39 PM

For R34

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2020 9:19 PM

I think one of the reviews of Rachel, Rachel said something like Joanne Woodward has finally reached the middle age she has been rushing toward since she began her movie career.....

I really liked her and Paul in WINNING, about a race driver in the Indy 500 that featured Richard Thomas as their son.....

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2020 9:43 PM

Newman was a "star" who gradually became a real actor and he was beautiful well into old age. Woodward had a rather short heyday (like most actresses, unfortunately) but never had Newman's level of fame. She was more respected in the beginning but he later had all the attention and accolades. She was respected for being a good actress but never attained a truly high level of fame. I get the impression that it wasn't important to her, anyway. Newman probably cared more but he also used his status to accomplish things, including finding vehicles for her and for them. OTOH, he liked his privacy--they lived away from the limelight and he remained close to family in Cleveland---when he was back in Ohio, he would do things like race under a pseudonym, so no one would bother him when he stopped to see his mother or other family.

by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2020 10:33 PM

"they lived away from the limelight and he remained close to family in Cleveland"

They lived in Westport, Connecticut, R60. Not so close to Newman's family in Shaker Heights (if they still were there) or to Joanne's family in Georgia or South Carolina, if they still were there. Newman's brother Arthur worked for him, so I doubt he was in OH. Yeah, I know you don't mean close that way, but it must be pointed out that they were not in close proximity.

by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2020 11:42 PM

His mother remained in Cleveland and cousins of his were in the sporting goods business. Newman himself ran the family sporting goods business for a short time after his father died and then sold it to a chain that kept the Newman name for many years. His cousins bought another long running sporting goods store, which was the best outdoor outfitter in the area for decades, ending its run, btw, in Shaker Heights. A college friend of mine knew the cousins and I bought my first set of backpacking stuff from the store. back when it was downtown. Spotting paul Newman when he came back for a visit was a favorite activity for people who lived in Shaker Heights. The point wasn't that Westport was close to Shaker, it was that Newman kept a low profile and had some connection to its roots. He moved away from Hollywood and didn't settle in New York.

by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2020 11:53 PM

[quote]Jack Nicholson was seen attending Bernie Sanders rally a few months back and he looked perfectly fine

That's an impersonator.

The Cannes festival has had some great posters; this one is my favorite. It's a publicity photo from, I believe, A New Kind of Love:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2020 12:10 AM

She's fantastic in Summer Wishes. She must have split the vote with Barbra that year, both were heavily favored to win.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2020 12:14 AM

R30 - Joan was critical of Joanne for making her own dress for the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2020 12:29 AM

Joanne is very funny in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams playing a rich but frumpy woman.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2020 12:32 AM

R35 like you stole that picture from GETTY IMAGES?

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2020 12:44 AM

Getty Images has OUTRAGEOUS prices. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2020 12:55 AM

Because they license them for the copyright holders. Still not an excuse for you to steal from them !

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2020 1:11 AM

The "stolen" images are low res examples complete with watermarks. Hundreds and even thousands of dollars for a single image to post on DL?

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2020 1:15 AM

You just know there's a "crap of the stars" collector out there a la Priscilla QOTD who has paid off a nurses' aide at Ms. Woodward's nursing home. Just like he did with so many others.

And it's probably someone posting on the DL TONIGHT!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 1:38 AM

Pardon ???!!! 😮😮😮😮 Dear God are there people that off the wall in this world,! r71

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 9:54 PM

Bump! Far too good, significant and talented an actress to have only such a relatively short thread!

Let's keep talking!

by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2020 4:52 AM

I think Rachel, Rachel is her best performance but the year she was nominated had 5 wonderful performances. She was up against Barbra for Funny Girl, Katharine Hepburn for The Lion in Winter, Patricia Neal for The Subject Was Roses, and Vanessa Redgrave for Isadora.

by Anonymousreply 74August 17, 2020 5:27 AM

Wow that is some strong amazingly talented competition r74 Especially Hepburn and Redgrave. Clearly a vintage year for Hollywood film.

Was Joanne well liked and beloved in Hollywood amongst her peers ?I don't just mean did they like and respect her acting talent but socially was she liked within the showbiz community?

by Anonymousreply 75August 17, 2020 5:33 AM

She did not like living in Hollywood and preferred New York and her Connecticut home. She hated the tourists that were always looking for a glimpse of Paul.

by Anonymousreply 76August 17, 2020 5:45 AM

Never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2020 6:18 AM

I eat old stolen people’s excrement!

by Anonymousreply 78August 17, 2020 6:24 AM

R1, by "Gladys Johns", I assume you mean Glynis Johns? Lovely actress, I hope you're wrong about her current health (though she is 96).

by Anonymousreply 79August 17, 2020 6:45 AM

I disagree that Paul Newman wasn’t as good an actor. He certainly grew into being every bit as good of an actor and then some.

She was a terrific actress but I would still rather watch The Verdict over anything she did.

by Anonymousreply 80August 17, 2020 6:51 AM

He was particularly handsome in that, R80 -- 52 years old!

by Anonymousreply 81August 17, 2020 6:58 AM

"The Rack", Newman's third movie, is one of his greatest performances.

by Anonymousreply 82August 17, 2020 7:01 AM

She didn’t have kids with Paul?

by Anonymousreply 83August 17, 2020 7:07 AM

I'm sure she did r83?Paul had a child from a previous relationship who sadly died as a young adult but I'm sure he had at least 2 daughters with Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 84August 17, 2020 7:09 AM

I remember Joanne appearing once on The Mike Douglas Show to promote a film and she sat and knitted during her entire interview.

by Anonymousreply 85August 17, 2020 7:22 AM

R66, The scene where she walked in on her son having sex with another young man is classic.

by Anonymousreply 86August 17, 2020 7:25 AM

R81 I agree (if I’m doing the math right I think he was 57), for me (and maybe I’m weird) his peak looks were right around then (early 80s).

by Anonymousreply 87August 17, 2020 7:26 AM

R66 - the dancer was played by Dennis Wayne whom Joanne was said to have fallen in love with and she financed his ballet company.

by Anonymousreply 88August 17, 2020 7:57 AM

She is a fine actress. I think that she put Paul’s career ahead of hers so she could focus on their three daughters.

by Anonymousreply 89August 17, 2020 10:35 AM

R83, Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman had three girls.

As far as all of this whining about what performance she lost the Oscar for, Joanne had already won an Oscar for The Three Faces of Eve. If she had won for Rachel or Summer Wishes, it would have been #2.

No matter how many times you watch The Verdict, Paul Newman was not as good an actor as his wife, never. He would agree, he remarked upon it many times.

by Anonymousreply 90August 17, 2020 11:37 AM

Better looking, though, R90.

by Anonymousreply 91August 17, 2020 12:44 PM

R58 Thank you! I know what I will be watching after work!

That was a tough year for best actress w/Barbra, Glenda, Ellen, Marsha and Joanne all giving memorable performances, although I am not a fan of "Cinderella Liberty". Between Barbra for "The Way We Were", Glenda for "A Touch of Class" and Joanne for "Summer Wishes", it's a tough choice for me. A lot of people today feel that Sylvia Sidney should have won Supporting Actress. Obviously, it would be a sentimental win because she never got nominated for Best Actress for her many classic films in the 1930's, but Tatum O'Neal was clearly a leading actress. Had she taken over either Ellen or Marsha's spot, the Supporting award would have been between Sylvia or Madeline Kahn.

by Anonymousreply 92August 17, 2020 1:23 PM

She was always likable....seemed kind of dykey to me....I never had a big thing for her.

by Anonymousreply 93August 17, 2020 1:35 PM

I loved her in FROM THE TERRACE. It was a glamorous and bitchy role and she picked it up and ran with it.

I hated her in THE FUGITIVE KIND. Southern actresses always have the worst Southern accents in film. Why is that.

by Anonymousreply 94August 17, 2020 1:50 PM

R90 it’s called modesty and acting like a gentleman!

They were both great...

by Anonymousreply 95August 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Glenda for "A Touch of Class"? Are you kidding, R92? Glenda Jackson's performance was not remotely as good as the others. Jackson was a great actress who would normally be overlooked, but became a "name" in movies in the early 1970s among very few new names. The nomination for "Class" was one of those perfunctory things stars get when they turn in a decent performance in a popular film. It was considered that before the awards and no one predicted her win. EVERYONE was shocked when it happened, and figured it was a split vote between Woodward and Streisand that caused it. Kind of like when Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson lost to Judy Holiday in 1951. I wasn't alive for that one, but I was alive and following it in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 96August 17, 2020 2:35 PM

They were two very different kinds of actors. Newman was always a leading man--he didn't count the number of lines or that kind of nonsense, but he was always a leading man if not the star, except for his earliest movies. I don't recall him doing cameos or supporting parts during his prime or later years. Woodward was the kind of actor who probably would have had a bigger career if she's began in films 10-15 years later---at that point there were beginning to be more opportunities for people who essentially were character actors. She did well in the late 60s/70s, but she would have done better and had a longer career if she's been a bit younger at that time. Neither of them could ever have played the kind of roles where the other excelled.

by Anonymousreply 97August 17, 2020 5:55 PM

Paul did have a funny cameo in Mel Brooks' "Silent Movie".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 17, 2020 7:42 PM

Was she married to the salad dressing guy?

by Anonymousreply 99August 17, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote]I'm sure she did [R83]?Paul had a child from a previous relationship who sadly died as a young adult but I'm sure he had at least 2 daughters with Joanne.

Their daughter Nell Potts was the star, alongside her mother, in "The Effect of Gamma Rays..."; she and her father were also originally considered for "Paper Moon".

Their other daughter, Melissa, played Joanne's daughter in the made-for-tv movie "See How She Runs".

by Anonymousreply 100August 17, 2020 10:27 PM

Thank you r100

by Anonymousreply 101August 17, 2020 10:29 PM

Nell Potts also played the young Rachel, Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2020 3:17 AM

Here's Nell with her parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 18, 2020 3:21 AM

Love this photo of Joanne with hubby Paul but wish I knew how to show the picture directly and not have it say offsite link?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 27, 2020 4:33 AM

Whether the story was true to what actually happened or not Woodward was incredible in The Three Faces of Eve. Even as a little kid I could tell she was great. Saw it on PBS I think. Recently saw her in an old movie where she's a college student who gets knocked up by a charming psycho Really good. She wasn't a staggering beauty in her youth but not unattractive.

I heard Paul screwed around with a journalist and wasn't too secretive about it. Their lives as the ideal couple was glorified. Don't know about the gay rumors but clearly this wasn't what people thought.

by Anonymousreply 105August 27, 2020 1:02 PM

"I heard Paul screwed around with a journalist and wasn't too secretive about it"

Paul's screwing around ability was greatly hampered by his boozing - according to that journalist (Nancy Bacon).

by Anonymousreply 106August 27, 2020 3:43 PM

Lucky bitch to have had Newman on top of her for so many years. Even if the sex wasn't that good (and who knows), those blue eyes and that profile would have made it a real pleasure.

When I was a young gayling, I had a thing for Paul Newman and Robert Conrad. Although both were beautiful, I always wondered if they were really that good in bed. I know that Conrad was short, feisty as hell and the father of many children, I just wonder it they would just lie on their backs and just let their partners do all the work in gratitude for them just allowing it.

by Anonymousreply 107August 27, 2020 3:56 PM

Did she deserve her Oscar for The Three Faces Of Eve?

by Anonymousreply 108August 27, 2020 5:45 PM

Yes, over Lana Turner, Deborah Kerr, Elizabeth Taylor and Anna Magani, she did.

by Anonymousreply 109August 27, 2020 5:58 PM

Lana Turner has an Oscar nomination? :o

by Anonymousreply 110August 27, 2020 6:11 PM

Yes, for PEYTON PLACE. One of the few times she gave a decent performance.

by Anonymousreply 111August 27, 2020 6:20 PM

Her husband famously compared her to steak

by Anonymousreply 112August 27, 2020 6:22 PM

Well.....as for deserving the Oscar......only twice in THE THREE FACES OF EVE does Woodward change personalities in one shot....

Most of the time she starts the process [or so the music says] and there is a cut to another person such as her psychiatrist Lee J. Cobb - and when the shot comes back to her she is the other personality.

In LIZZIE when Eleanor Parker changes personalities, it's almost always done in the same shot.....she is one person....she blinks her eyes or turns her head and BINGO she's the other girl......

So.....maybe they should have given Joanne's Oscar to the editor......

by Anonymousreply 113August 27, 2020 7:30 PM

"Lucky bitch to have had Newman on top of her for so many years"

It was on an off for ONE year. She broke it off.

by Anonymousreply 114August 27, 2020 8:21 PM

She is attractive in that brilliant-lawyer-on-Law-And-Order-SVU-all-the-cops-have-a-crush-on way. But compared to her Hollywood peers, she looks very ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 115August 27, 2020 10:02 PM

Turned 91 yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 116February 28, 2021 4:05 AM

I saw a production of Clifford Odets' "Golden Boy" she directed off-Broadway and thought the production was better than the play. She directed a couple of TV shows too, but never a movie.

by Anonymousreply 117February 28, 2021 5:31 AM

r117 Can you remember which tv shows please?

by Anonymousreply 118February 28, 2021 5:43 AM

IMDB credits her as director on:

American Playhouse (TV Series) (1 episode) - Come Along with Me (1982)

Family (TV Series) (1 episode) - Thanksgiving (1979)

by Anonymousreply 119February 28, 2021 5:47 AM

Never gave a bad performance that I saw. Nominated 5 times and won the Oscar for The Three Faces of Eve (1957), Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival for The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, 3 times named Best Actress by The New York Film Critics Circle: Rachel, Rachel (1968), Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973) and Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1990). Other notable film performances in A Kiss Before Dying (1956). The Long Hot Summer (1959). The Stripper (1963) and A Big Hand For a Little Lady (1966).

by Anonymousreply 120February 28, 2021 5:59 AM

She always pinged my gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 121February 28, 2021 11:25 AM

She was in a car accident in Westport ct in the mid 80s with my father at an offset intersection. She was very nice about it and neither was ticketed, but two days later the traffic lights had been replaced and re-set so each side of the intersection had their own turn to go.

The Newman-Woodward’s were a big deal in town back then.

by Anonymousreply 122February 28, 2021 11:39 AM

r122 Thats a wonderful anecdote and an illustration of celebrity clout.

by Anonymousreply 123February 28, 2021 1:11 PM

Here's an incredibly young Joanne with acting legend Kim Stanley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 28, 2021 1:21 PM

There's a group of actresses Joanne Woodward's age who I adore: Gena Rowlands, Anne Bancroft, Ellen Burstyn, Eileen Brennan, and of course Joanne Woodward. (Notice Shirley MacLaine is not on the list).

by Anonymousreply 125February 28, 2021 2:13 PM

Ooh meow r125 Why do you dislike Shirley Maclaine? Spill the beans and bitch!!😁😉

by Anonymousreply 126February 28, 2021 3:22 PM

Because she sucks, R126?

by Anonymousreply 127February 28, 2021 6:36 PM

r127 Sucks at what specifically?

by Anonymousreply 128February 28, 2021 10:56 PM

I'd say sucks at EVERYTHING, R128.

by Anonymousreply 129March 1, 2021 1:40 AM

Lol 😆 r129

by Anonymousreply 130March 1, 2021 5:12 AM

LIZZIE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 1, 2021 3:41 PM

She was heartbreaking in Mr & Mrs Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 132March 1, 2021 4:18 PM

I love Joanne's take on Amanda Wingfield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 1, 2021 4:20 PM

R125. Hate to break it to you, but two of those dames have been dead for a number of years—Brennan and Bancroft.

MacLaine should have stopped after Terms of Endearment. It was a fascinating and skillful performance, walking a delicate balance between eccentric comedy and maternal loss. It used her rather specific talents well. After that, everything became Driving Miss Daffy.

by Anonymousreply 134March 1, 2021 4:29 PM

Joanne going for an Anne Francis look...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 1, 2021 4:48 PM

Breakfast at Bergdorf's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 1, 2021 4:51 PM

No one ever mentions her for "The Fugitive Kind," with Marlon Brando and Anna Magnani.....I like her in that a lot--playing white trash. Tennessee Williams understood white trash.

by Anonymousreply 137March 1, 2021 4:57 PM

Also known as Orpheus Descending, r137.

by Anonymousreply 138March 1, 2021 5:13 PM

No kidding, R134. I hate to break it to you, but you're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 139March 1, 2021 5:27 PM

R62 my mother graduated in same class as Paul at Shaker Heights H.S. I have the yearbook.

by Anonymousreply 140March 1, 2021 5:35 PM

r140 Did your mother have any gossip on him?

by Anonymousreply 141March 1, 2021 5:43 PM

he was just kind of a greaser type. She had just moved from Detroit so only had the senior year there .How do i upload a pic of it from my phone camera to here?

by Anonymousreply 142March 1, 2021 5:46 PM

She made her screen debut in the movie I gave my best performance in.

by Anonymousreply 143March 1, 2021 5:49 PM

Thanks r142 ! I can't imagine him as greasy lol!

by Anonymousreply 144March 1, 2021 5:50 PM

R84

[quote] Paul had a child from a previous relationship who sadly died as a young adult but I'm sure he had at least 2 daughters with Joanne.

Paul Newman and his first wife Jackie Witte had 3 children. A boy and 2 girls.

The son, Scott Newman, appeared in a couple film roles: as a young soldier in "Breakheart Pass" and as the young fireman who is afraid to rappel down the elevator shaft when the power goes out in a scene with Steve McQueen in "The Towering Inferno". In fact, you can also find a few glimpses of him in those Hollywood home movies at the beach when he visits with his father. He looks about 15 at the time. He was only 28 when he died of an overdose.

One of his daughters with his first wife, Susan, had a role as one of the 4 girls in the hilarious "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" about the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan. Imdb has her listed as "Susan Kendall Newman".

There were 3 daughters with Joanne Woodward.

by Anonymousreply 145March 1, 2021 5:58 PM

R144, you should catch some of Newman's early movies such as Somebody up there likes me.

by Anonymousreply 146March 1, 2021 6:00 PM

r145 Thank you for the detailed reply. Do you know if his daughters from his first marriage and his daughters from his marriage with Joanne are close?

r146 Thanks for the tip!👍

by Anonymousreply 147March 1, 2021 6:05 PM

Eartha Kitt claimed that she had a threesome with Paul and James Dean...and they turned her on to white boys.

by Anonymousreply 148March 1, 2021 6:13 PM

Love Woodward but she does overact in The Fugitive Kind as a Southern tramp, but it's not a good movie anyway. The lead male character is generally passive, and that's not something that Brando does well. I saw the play with Redgrave and Kevin Anderson, and it's not a good piece to begin with.

Woodward was much better and more fun as the high class tramp in From The Terrace.

by Anonymousreply 149March 1, 2021 6:16 PM

R134 I get your point about MacClaine but, even after Terms she was good in Bernie, Guarding Tess and Postcards from the Edge.

by Anonymousreply 150March 1, 2021 6:29 PM

And what's not to love about Hell on Heels?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 1, 2021 7:30 PM

Besides, I'm MUCH younger than those old biddies at R125, even the dead ones!

by Anonymousreply 152March 1, 2021 9:37 PM

One if my friends said her sister was chased around Harvard by one of the Newman daughters.

by Anonymousreply 153March 1, 2021 10:08 PM

Chased? In what sense r153?

by Anonymousreply 154March 1, 2021 10:15 PM

I love the scene in "From the Terrace" when Newman tells his wife Woodward on the telephone that he doesn't want her ex-boyfriend at their house.

Woodward hangs up, the camera pulls back and the boyfriend is lying on the bed with her. She says: "You're not supposed to come here anymore......"

My major problem with her early roles is that she looks like a little girl playing dress up in her mother's clothes.....she has no real style or presence..... Her comedies are the worst - especially "Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys" with Newman and Joan Collins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 1, 2021 10:39 PM

I always liked her understated acting style. Her acting had class. Paul Newman said it on the Dick Cavett show; he called her "a classy lady."

In photos of her and Newman she looked absolutely thrilled to be with him, just totally besotted. He always came across as a little embarrassed by her unabashed adoration but enjoying it just the same.

by Anonymousreply 156March 1, 2021 11:30 PM

mftt fff fff

gok

sssssk

by Anonymousreply 157March 1, 2021 11:42 PM

"Love Woodward but she does overact in The Fugitive Kind as a Southern tramp"

It was written by TENNESSEE WILLIAMS. There is no such thing as overacting in a Tennessee Williams play.

R147, of course they wouldn't be/aren't, they're a decade apart in age.

by Anonymousreply 158March 2, 2021 1:44 AM

Was she a great actress? Maybe not. Was she unique, with a presence, always seemed like she meant the lines she was saying, yep.

Quirky, too. Some of her weaknesses were also her strengths. She always sound pretty nasally to me... which was also a weird kind of charm. A She just always played her parts with some "intention"... more than techniques. She was Actor's Studio, right?

by Anonymousreply 159March 2, 2021 1:51 AM

Quirky...yes. She made her own Oscar gown...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 2, 2021 1:59 AM

" I get your point about MacClaine"

You Shirley lovers should learn that her name is MacLaine..

by Anonymousreply 161March 2, 2021 2:26 AM

Tried to pursue romantically, r153.

by Anonymousreply 162March 8, 2021 5:10 AM

Thanks r162

by Anonymousreply 163March 8, 2021 2:31 PM

In the OP's pic she looks like Martha Plimpton.

by Anonymousreply 164March 8, 2021 2:37 PM

Is that a compliment r164?

by Anonymousreply 165March 8, 2021 2:40 PM

^^^My observation, you must think one or both are unattractive to ask that. Do fill us in

by Anonymousreply 166March 8, 2021 2:53 PM

[quore]My major problem with her early roles is that she looks like a little girl playing dress up in her mother's clothes.....she has no real style or presence.....

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 167March 8, 2021 3:04 PM

r166 I think Joanne Woodward was pretty but no goddess.

by Anonymousreply 168March 8, 2021 5:16 PM

Thankfully she stayed in the background while I did my turn as Blanche du Bois

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169March 8, 2021 7:16 PM

Hey Mr Travilla - I didn't say the clothes weren't pretty.

by Anonymousreply 170March 8, 2021 9:12 PM

You do realize Travilla remade Woodward's image from sweaters and skirts into a fashion plate with From the Terrace and Signpost to Murder.

by Anonymousreply 171March 8, 2021 11:23 PM

My family lived down the street from her family in Thomasville.

by Anonymousreply 172March 8, 2021 11:25 PM

Oh r172 Any gossip or anecdotes?

by Anonymousreply 173March 9, 2021 2:18 AM

I agree with the poster who said comedy was not her forte. Ironically she could be funny in serious movies but when she tried an all out comedy like A Fine Madness she is too strident.

by Anonymousreply 174March 9, 2021 5:42 AM

Bette Davis and the Newmans both lived in Westport, CT, but Bette claimed she first met them at Jimmy Carter's Inauguration in 1977.

Joanne suggested that they get together at some point and Bette's response was "Why?".

by Anonymousreply 175March 9, 2021 6:25 AM

R14, Gore Vidal

by Anonymousreply 176March 9, 2021 6:27 AM

She could never be considered pretty because of her failure of a nose.

The bridge is too narrow and there's a blob at the end.

by Anonymousreply 177March 9, 2021 6:45 AM

There is nothing distinctive or memorable about Joanne's face.

by Anonymousreply 178March 9, 2021 2:22 PM

Joanne loved to play frumps.* She liked being a character actress, so how pretty or not pretty she was was not an issue.

*source: Paul Newman

by Anonymousreply 179March 9, 2021 2:40 PM

Except to the people who had to look at her......

by Anonymousreply 180March 9, 2021 3:01 PM

Paul Newman must have liked her personality.

It was funny when she said their daughter ate a cigarette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 9, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] Gladys Johns....

You mean Glynis Johns.

by Anonymousreply 182March 9, 2021 3:58 PM

Gladys was Glynis' younger mousey sister - you know how the are.

by Anonymousreply 183March 9, 2021 4:52 PM

When Joanne wore a homemade $100 gown to receive her Oscar in 1958, Joan Crawford sneered that she set back the cause for Hollywood glamour 20 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 9, 2021 4:59 PM

[quote] Joan Crawford sneered that she set back the cause for Hollywood glamour 20 years.

What a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 185March 9, 2021 7:30 PM

r184 How did Joanne respond?

by Anonymousreply 186March 9, 2021 11:49 PM

Crawford had a lot of nerve with her matchy matchy outfits and tacky statement necklaces.

There was a blind item that Joanne was spilling a lot of tea about Paul's sex life once she started losing the plot at the home. I always loved her acting. And though I never thought of it before she did have kind of a gay vibe herself.

by Anonymousreply 187March 10, 2021 12:10 AM

R184. I wonder if Joan Crawford said that before or after she ate Marilyn’s pussy. Joan couldn’t act her sorry ass out of a paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 188March 10, 2021 12:26 AM

r186 I would love to know. Joanne's mother named her after Crawford when she was born in 1930. (In the South, Joan was sometimes pronounced Jo-Ann).

by Anonymousreply 189March 10, 2021 12:28 AM

I wish Joanne would have done more bitchy glamour roles like From the Terrace. Bad movie but loved her in it.

by Anonymousreply 190March 10, 2021 12:33 AM

r187 Intriguing! Do you happen to have a link to that blind item please?

by Anonymousreply 191March 10, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote]Because they license them for the copyright holders. Still not an excuse for you to steal from them !

Getty and other ilk buys photograph libraries and collections. They will claim copyright on publicity photos, which by definition are in public domain. I've found my own copies on eBay and scanned them for whatever use I need. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 192March 10, 2021 1:52 AM

[quote][R184] How did Joanne respond?

At the 1966 televised awards, Woodward wore a white and apple green Travilla gown and commented "I hope this makes Miss Crawford happy."

by Anonymousreply 193March 10, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote]Oh [R172] Any gossip or anecdotes?

Unfortunately no. They moved away when my mom was about five.

by Anonymousreply 194March 10, 2021 1:59 AM

Do any knowledgeable dataloungers know if Paul Newmans first wife Jacqueline Witte is still alive please?There's nothing much solid to go on online and I'm basically just curious.

by Anonymousreply 195November 29, 2021 5:32 AM

But... is she REALLY a legend?

by Anonymousreply 196November 29, 2021 5:45 AM

As Eunice's friend from the past on "The Carol Burnett Show":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197November 29, 2021 5:47 AM

Joanne and James Dean in a screen test for East of Eden

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 29, 2021 5:52 AM

I honestly thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 199November 29, 2021 6:52 AM

r196 Yes she is but not at the top end of the league for stars from hollywoods golden age like Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Clark Gabke etc

by Anonymousreply 200November 29, 2021 8:37 AM

Why doesn't "Surviving Angel" learn to use Google? Also what is with all of these tedious leading questions.? A good topic but everything SA touches tends to turn to shite. At least this isn't yet another BRF thread "starring" (ew) Lady Colin whatever.

by Anonymousreply 201November 29, 2021 9:00 AM

r201 I have googled it and the information is vague and inconclusive.

by Anonymousreply 202November 29, 2021 3:55 PM

A Big Hand For The Little Lady, with JW and Henry Fonda is a wonderfully engaging poker heist picture.

by Anonymousreply 203November 30, 2021 1:05 PM

She's now officially the earliest surviving lead-actor Oscar winner. I find her charming. She was a real 'actor's actor' who didn't much care for fame. She spent a lot of her career directing theatre in small venues or at colleges. Making her own Oscar dress, playing depressed frumpy suburban types (even though in her youth she had a few glamourpuss roles), and generally being understated in her manner. Strange full name though: Joanne Gignilliat Trimmier Woodward.

I like that she didn't shy away from playing dark or even mundane characters. I felt so depressed after watching Rachel Rachel that I needed to lie down lol. Summer Wishes Winter Dreams, The Three Faces of Eve, The Glass Menagerie, Sybil, and 'Gamma Rays' all have a similar effect. She would have been great in a foreign film like Jeanne Dielman, and really captured the suffocating effect of suburban domesticity. Still was able to give more lively performances in Paris Blues and The Stripper - which really should be a DL classic - but I agree comedy was not her forte.

It was so hard/rare for actresses of this era to have true longevity, so it was nice to see her gain recognition again in Mr and Mrs Bridge (I always remember her "you are just like your father!" scene), and being such an integral part of Scorsese's The Age of Innocence. Many of her best later performances were in TV movies. I recently watched her final *onscreen* performance in Empire Falls (also Newman's last), and her character was easily the most interesting in the whole thing. I felt she was woefully underused, maybe she appears more in the book (it's a star-studded cast so they were more focused on Ed Harris, Paul Newman, Helen Hunt, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Wright, etc.). A real complex, cold-hearted villainess.

by Anonymousreply 204December 1, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote] R28 She was named after Joan Crawford so it must have stung when Joan made that remark about Joanne's Oscar dress.

[quote] R30 Oh dear what remark was this?!😮

Woodward sewed her own ball gown (and matching coat) for the night she won her Academy Award. (That’s really quite an undertaking, and the result looked reasonably good.) She said, “I’m as proud of that dress as I am of the Oscar.” Backhanded gratitude?

But Joan Crawford sniffed to the press, “Joanne Woodward is setting the cause of Hollywood glamour back 20 years by making her own clothes.”

The next time Woodward attended the awards show she wore a store bought dress and said, “I hope this makes Joan Crawford happy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 1, 2021 6:10 PM

R1 newsflash: Sean Connery is dead!

by Anonymousreply 206December 1, 2021 6:27 PM

R203 and much more engaging than the overrated Oscar winner The Sting (1973)

by Anonymousreply 207December 1, 2021 6:28 PM

R31 he was seen, but was he heard?

by Anonymousreply 208December 1, 2021 6:43 PM

R175 - so very Bette Davis.

Bette seemed purposely anti-social. She made the point of not really knowing anyone outside of the Warner's cocoon.

She told an interviewer that though they lived in the same small town (Westport) she had never met Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 209December 2, 2021 6:32 AM

Oscar trivia—Joanne Woodward has four Best Actress nominations, one in each of four different decades. The same is true of Julie Christie and Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 210December 9, 2021 5:11 AM

Paris Blues was another good movie with Woodward and Newman. It also has Sidney Poitier and Diahann Carroll. Great jazz music.

by Anonymousreply 211December 9, 2021 2:34 PM

I agree and I think Newman was at his sexiest in that movie playing a cad and half naked walking around the apartment after spending the night with Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 212December 9, 2021 2:41 PM

Ms. Woodward lived with and admittedly acted as Gore Vidal's beard back in the day when the love the dares not speak its name was a career killer. And yes, she does indeed suffer from advanced Alzheimer's Syndrome, and considering her age and the length of time since her diagnosis it is very doubtful she'll be around much longer.

by Anonymousreply 213December 9, 2021 2:53 PM

The quintessential American actress.

by Anonymousreply 214December 9, 2021 3:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!