Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Connie Francis is still number 8 of top 100 hits for female artists

Despite not having recorded in over 30 years!

She held number 1 spot until 1977. Now its held by Taylor Swift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 22, 2020 6:49 PM

Never heard of her

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2020 1:04 PM

Which one, R1. Connie Francis or Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2020 1:08 PM

That just means Connie Francis released a lot of shitty records. They could have charted at #99 to be included, big fucking deal.

It’s not like they’re number one hits.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2020 1:23 PM

Entering the Hot 100 doesn't mean much. A shitty record can enter and be out the next day. Anyway Connie Francis was recording in the late 50s when not many women were. And it was a time when people still bought singles.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2020 1:42 PM

If ANY song was eligible back then like they are in the digital age, acts like Connie Francis, Streisand and Madonna would have over 100 Hot 100 songs easily

Back in the pre digital era, a song had to actually be released as a single officially by the record label and promoted as such to chart, now album cuts chart

It's not fair

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2020 1:57 PM

Connie Francis should have been inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame a long time ago. She was the first big female star of the pop/rock era. This is a terrible oversight! How can we get a campaign going to get her in?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote]She was the first big female star of the pop/rock era.

No one associates her with rock..

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2020 3:37 PM

She was Gloria Estefan's mentor.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2020 3:39 PM

R6 A few weeks ago Connie was inducted into the equally prestigious Las Vegas Entertainers Hall of Fame, for "her contribution in making Las Vegas the entertainment capital of the world". She posted about it on her FB page.

And would you get a look at those legs! I've never seen an 80-something woman with such sexy legs before. That photo on the wall behind her must have been taken decades ago and she still has the same killer figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2020 3:47 PM

That makes sense, considering they both suck.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote] Here's an updated look at the women with the most Hot 100 appearances, dating to the chart's Aug. 4, 1958, inception

Which means the string of hits Miss Francis had before Aug 4 1958 weren't even counted. She got short changed and should be number 5 on the list.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2020 3:48 PM

She was NO Dame Shirl...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2020 3:49 PM

[quote] the equally prestigious Las Vegas Entertainers Hall of Fame

Are you high?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2020 3:52 PM

[quote]A few weeks ago Connie was inducted into the equally prestigious Las Vegas Entertainers Hall of Fame,

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2020 3:55 PM

This shit again already?

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2020 3:57 PM

Connie is in full blackface here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2020 4:27 PM

She has old lady legs. If they don't balloon with age, they go anorexic. She looks like he's had a boob job which at her age is "Mamie Van Doren" crazy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2020 5:05 PM

No mention of Diane it seems. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2020 5:11 PM

R 11 Right. She is actually #5. She had 17 million selling singles and 3 # 1s in the USA alone when numbers 1's had to sell at least a million copies. She had 57 chart hits in the USA alone. Quite an accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2020 2:52 AM

Connie was THE female act to see in LV throughout the 60s when she was under s-contract with the Sahara, A magnificent entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2020 2:55 AM

All her accomplishments appear to have happened in the Pleistocene era which I assume is when OP hit his sexual

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2020 3:03 AM

I didn't write the Billboard article, R21. Take it up with them.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2020 3:13 AM

who?

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2020 3:15 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2020 3:41 AM

[quote]Connie was THE female act to see in LV throughout the 60s

No she wasn't. She wasn't among the top at all. Streisand had the biggest contract, Diana Ross. Dionne Warwick. Petula Clark. Debbie Reynolds was a huge headliner. The Lennon Sisters.

Even if you look at articles about the Sahara headliners of the era, there's no mention of Connie Francis. My gosh, even Teresa Brewer is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2020 3:43 AM

Who. Never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2020 3:48 AM

Connie also held a spectacular concert at the Sahara when she celebrated the 45th anniversary of her career back in the 2004. Here's the TV ad for it, describing her as "THE TOP-SELLING FEMALE VOCALIST OF ALL TIME WORLDWIDE"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2020 4:09 AM

LOL at the eldergays pretending not to know who Connie Francis is

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2020 4:11 AM

[quote]LOL at the eldergays pretending not to know who Connie Francis is.

LOL at the younger gays not knowing who Connie Francis is, r28.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2020 4:17 AM

LOL at r29 thinking that’s a burn. It’d be weird if the younger gays DID know who Connie Francis is. They’re more likely to know who Judy Garland, Diana Ross and Lucille Ball are before Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2020 1:40 PM

The Sahara is not somewhere with a career performs. Caesars Palace yes, The Sahara, no.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2020 1:44 PM

Connie Franci and Edie Gorme were both fabulous! My favorite Connie Francis song is Where The Boys Are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2020 1:51 PM

I love Sibony by Connie Francis, too.

Sibony was the original name of Cuba. A caney is a little hut.

English Translation of Sibony:

Siboney Siboney, I love you, I die for your love Siboney, to the singing to sleep of the palm tree I think of you Come to me, that I love you and all treasures you are to me Siboney, to the singing to sleep of the palm tree I think of you

Siboney of my dream, if you don't hear my complaint Siboney, if you don't come I'll die from love

Siboney of my dreams, I await you anxiously in my caney Siboney, if you don't come I'll die from love Hear the echo of my singing of glass

Siboney of my dreams, I await you anxiously in my caney Siboney, if you don't come I'll die from love Hear the echo of my singing of glass

Don't get lost in the rude Manigual ------------------- Spanish Lyrics: Siboney Siboney yo te quiero yo me muero por tu amor Siboney al arrullo de la palma pienso en ti Ven a mi que te quiero y de todo tesoro eres tu para mi Siboney al arrullo de la palma pienso en ti

Siboney de mi sueño si no oyes la queja de mi voz Siboney si no vienes me moriré de amor Siboney de mis sueños te espero con ansias en mi caney Siboney si no vienes me moriré de amor Oye el eco de mi canto de cristal

Siboney de mis sueños te espero con ansias en mi caney Siboney si no vienes me moriré de amor Oye el eco de mi canto de cristal

No te pierdas por entre el rudo Manigual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2020 1:59 PM

Sorry for the bad format.

Here are the Spanish lyrics again:

Siboney

Siboney yo te quiero yo me muero por tu amor Siboney al arrullo de la palma pienso en ti Ven a mi que te quiero y de todo tesoro eres tu para mi Siboney al arrullo de la palma pienso en ti

Siboney de mi sueño si no oyes la queja de mi voz Siboney si no vienes me moriré de amor Siboney de mis sueños te espero con ansias en mi caney Siboney si no vienes me moriré de amor Oye el eco de mi canto de cristal

Siboney de mis sueños te espero con ansias en mi caney Siboney si no vienes me moriré de amor Oye el eco de mi canto de cristal

No te pierdas por entre el rudo Manigual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2020 2:02 PM

Whose thumb is that in OP’s photo? What an ugly thumb.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2020 3:00 PM

r30, if they knew anything about popular music for the last 50 years they would know about Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2020 3:46 PM

R36: You mean if they knew about popular music 50 years ago, not the last 50 and in Connie's case, they'd need to know about popular music 60years ago.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2020 4:26 PM

By your logic, R36, they shouldn't know the Beatles either, since they were her contemporaries and shared the charts in the 60's.

In Japan, they even had them on the same album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2020 4:40 PM

The Beatles came later, hon. And people still bought their new music, as individual performers, well into the 70s and 80s. By then, Connie was a novelty/oldies act----she could sing Stupid Cupid in Urdu but no one here was buying it. Besides the Beatles influenced other people. Connie was a throwback.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2020 4:47 PM

I'd wager Connie inspired a lot of people, too. She was one of a very small number of female solo acts to have a big impact on the charts back then.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2020 5:00 PM

R40: Name one and provide a link.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2020 5:28 PM

R41, Gloria Estefan is a big Connie fan. She was even going to do a movie about her at one point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote]if they knew anything about popular music for the last 50 years they would know about Connie Francis.

50 years ago was 1970. By then Connie Francis was a has been. A left over from the early 60s. Her sobbing whiney singing style was completely out of synch with the times.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote]In Japan, they even had them on the same album.

LOL. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2020 7:00 PM

Funny thread. The Connie disser is an overly zealous obsessed fan. Connie was THE female act to see in LV throughout the 60s. I don;t know why some obsessed fans tend to do these things. These dissers always are the biggest fans, but obsessed in a sick way, Tom.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2020 2:39 AM

R45: Nice try. Some of us aren't old enough to care about Vegas or Connie Francis belting out "Where the Boys Are" in Serbo-Croatian.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2020 2:44 AM

I bought this Greatest Hits album of Connie Francis years ago and still have it. Good album, good singer, and yes lots of people know and remember Connie Francis. She is an icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2020 4:06 AM

R7 I have it, too. It's a great CD.

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2020 4:31 AM

R48 means R47

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2020 5:02 AM

Yes. Typo, Thx ^

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2020 5:04 AM

The live album she recorded at the Sahara is a masterpiece too. Her haunting cover of "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof is especially brilliant - just thinking about it gives me chills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2020 10:22 AM

And Stuart Allen, the entertainment director of the Sahara, wrote a short text for the back of the album, which I think perfectly describes the talent Connie is. And he also mentions what a gigantic box office attraction her show was.

[quote] Miss Connie Francis is a rare performer in this present musical age. She is one of the very few who have graduated successfully from the field of "pop" music to become one of the world’s foremost theatre and night club entertainers. In doing this, she has not only gained a whole new public but has retained and even added to her vast following in the pop music field. To become a star in night clubs is no easy matter, and few female record artists ever achieve any degree of lasting success in this direction. A couple of hits can easily skyrocket them to stardom and the big money for a short time, but it takes considerably more than this to remain a headliner in this most difficult side of show-business. For singing songs is just not enough— a singer must also be able to entertain for an hour at a time and, at the end, still have them yelling for more. I have seen Connie Francis develop over the past few years from just such a young singer of songs to the big star she assuredly is today. We, at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas, are proud that she is one of our most consistent box office attractions and the program she has selected for this album proves that this is no accident or momentary success. Connie chooses her own program of songs and has developed an intuitive awareness of just what is right for a particular audience. Her new act, recorded live on the stage of the Sahara’s world famous Congo Room before over 800 patrons who chose to see her in preference to seven outstanding stars at other Las Vegas Hotels, attests to her good taste and meticulous care. The enthusiastic audience reaction, as caught by MGM’s engineer, confirms the impact her songs have made. Night clubbers, especially those in Las Vegas, who have the world of entertainment to choose from, are renowned to be the most difficult to please. Connie Francis not only pleases them— she captivates them as few female singers are able to do.

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2020 10:29 AM

You can't measure Swift and Minaj by the same metric as Aretha and Madonna. Sorry.

They didn't release all of their songs on iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2020 10:34 AM

So basically no one can document her "influence' and instead we get puff piece liner notes from an era where playing Vegas wassomething of a career ending joke, no matter how much money it generated.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2020 11:31 AM

[quote] Her haunting cover of "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof is especially brilliant

It is pretty amazing R51. especially when you consider it was recorded live at her show, no studio equipment, and only a piano accompanying her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2020 2:13 PM

Connie Francis will always be remembered as one of the greatest female singers of our time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2020 3:14 PM

I'm still number 1!

RAPES AT HOJO'S

Connie Francis: 1

Taylor Swift: 0

Nicki Minaj: 0

Aretha Franklin: 0

Beyoncé: 0

Rihanna: 0

Madonna: 0

Dionne Warwick: ???

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote]Connie was THE female act to see in LV throughout the 60s.

Repeating it does not make it true. She was no where near being THE female act in LV through the 1960s. Not even close.

Do any research of top headliners in LV, her name doesn't even appear.

Powerhouse LV female acts in the 1960s where Streisand, Warwick, Peggy Lee, Debbie Reynolds, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Sonny&Cher, Petula Clark, Juliet Prowse, Shirley McLaine, Joey Heatherton, Lola Falana...

R52 Liner notes?? Is that the best you can do?

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2020 3:47 PM

Which dead bitch is this one now?

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2020 4:08 PM

If Connie was so big at one time, then why is she broke today?

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote]If Connie was so big at one time, then why is she broke today?

Ya think boooooooooze comes cheap, Pally?

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2020 4:35 PM

Who says Connie's broke?! Just check out her FB page – she's worth millions and spends most of her time eating out in fancy (mostly Italian) restaurants and hanging out with her old showbiz pals. She's living every retiree's dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2020 5:34 PM

Hardly broke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2020 5:52 PM

R8, Connie Francis has nothing nice to say about the Estefans. Check Connie's Wiki & various interviews she's given. She may have been a big influence on Gloria, but mentor? After an attempt to bring Connie's bio to the big screen, with as little input from her as possible & as much $$$ for themselves, Connie severed ties with Gloria & Emilio. They also screwed over a small reissue label that was gonna reissue a couple of the early MSM American albums. After all the work had been done the Estefans pulled out leaving the label high & dry & claimed the label's work had been authorized. Even after Gloria denied her involvement with the label or having any knowledge of the project at all, the label had correspondance that evidenced otherwise. Even in a Rolling Stone interview with Gloria in the late 80s few people interviewed for the piece had anything good to say about her husband.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2020 6:12 PM

r57 I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]My favorite Connie Francis song is Where The Boys Are.

You always know where to find the boys and the booze, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2020 6:45 PM

[quote]She may have been a big influence on Gloria, but mentor?

Connie taught Gloria to smear her own poo on pics of President Obama.

Pity they had a falling out later.

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2020 6:57 PM

Fancy restaurants don't have the fridge with soda and beer in plain site. The crone with the blond wig seems to have had the same plastic surgeon and make-up trowel job. Hopefully, she doesn't drink given her bipolar meds.

Those worth of the stars sites are always wring and usually inflate the worth of performers.

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2020 7:49 PM

She was a super star of her time, she held on to her ca$h and she still has many fans. Every performer's dream.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2020 8:12 PM

How did we miss Connie's July 4th Jell-o dessert?

Connie loves her Jell-o.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2020 9:32 PM

When I was a kid I always used to confuse Connie with Jackie Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 9:40 PM

[quote]When I was a kid I always used to confuse Connie with Jackie Kennedy.

Were you what they referred to back then as "retarded"?

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 9:53 PM

[quote] When I was a kid I always used to confuse Connie with Jackie Kennedy.

I can understand that. Similar grace and style.

When President Kennedy died, Miss Francis recorded a tribute song in his memory, "In the Summer of His Years", and helped heal the nation. All the proceeds of her song were donated to charity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 15, 2020 11:01 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2020 11:03 PM

R58 Regardless of what you say, she was.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2020 2:33 AM

R73 helped heal the nation? By recording a song that no one heard or cared about?

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2020 4:16 AM

To the little putz at R72, you really, really can’t see the remotest resemblance between Connie and Jackie in the early 60s? Especially to a little kid?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2020 5:23 AM

Jackie O. looked like a toad. Connie, on the other hand, was one of the greatest beauties of the 20th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2020 8:36 AM

[quote]Connie, on the other hand, was one of the greatest beauties of the 20th century.

Oh, God, I needed a laugh this morning.

Thank you for that.

Fans are so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2020 1:13 PM

What's your favorite Connie album?

This is mine:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2020 1:16 PM

[quote] By recording a song that no one heard or cared about?

The song was a Top 40 hit, R76.

by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2020 1:25 PM

And amazingly she's not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. How fucked up is that?

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2020 1:30 PM

[quote]And amazingly she's not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. How fucked up is that?

It will happen. Right after Kate Smith.

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2020 1:35 PM

R80: Love it. Is Heidi Abramowitz your sister?

by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2020 1:46 PM

This is, by far, the best Connie Francis album:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2020 2:29 PM

The REELZ Channel aired a new edition of their Autopsy series last Sunday, dealing with Dick Clark's death.

Connie was interviewed on camera and she looked ill.

She was unable to hold her head upright and there was a definite issue with her speech, possibly ill fitting dentures.

Connie said Dick Clark was her only true show business friend and thinks of him every day. He died in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2020 2:43 PM

This was not a big seller:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2020 3:03 PM

What? You didn't like "20 Depressing Hits"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2020 7:56 PM

Those SCTV parodies were super funny (unlike those lame album covers someone keeps posting above).

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2020 8:02 PM

Love the album covers! Keep Connie cuming.

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2020 8:05 PM

Hilarious that Connie Francis is being compared to Jackie Kennedy. Connie had a face you'd expect to see on a can of tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2020 8:06 PM

[quote] Connie had a face you'd expect to see on a can of tomato sauce.

You made that exact same joke on some other Connie thread we had on here months ago. It's time to come up with some new material, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2020 8:10 PM

Actually I remember it from that other thread. And well.... it's true.

by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2020 8:29 PM

Connie Francis isn't the poor man's Jackie Kennedy, she's the dead, rotting corpse slung below an underpass's Jackie Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2020 8:53 PM

Connie Francis looked perfectly fine in a "Miss South Philadelphia" kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2020 8:57 PM

How many times has Connie been in the nut house? She must hold the no. 1 celeb spot in this category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2020 9:21 PM

R82 Yes!! Superstar, superseller Connie Francis should have ben inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame years ago. PRAY that it will still happen. She deserves to be there.

by Anonymousreply 97August 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Still looks okay for someone in her early 80's. Go Connie!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 17, 2020 3:07 AM

Tons of bad plastic surgery and troweled on makeup.

by Anonymousreply 99August 17, 2020 3:12 AM

OP is like Jan Bot, in that they keep starting threads about big loser "singers," in this case, Connie Francis. No one cares about her, OP. Her career is more dead than Janet's.

by Anonymousreply 100August 17, 2020 4:06 AM

R98 Someone needs to tell Connie that you apply your lipstick with the lights ON.

by Anonymousreply 101August 17, 2020 1:29 PM

I love this pic of Connie slicing bread. I like how she's not afraid to get her hands dirty. Now she may give the appearance of being a larger than life dame, but deep down on the inside she's a sweet Italian nonna, who just wants to slice some bread for her grandkids and her friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 17, 2020 1:57 PM

Fuck that old trashy whore

by Anonymousreply 103August 17, 2020 2:00 PM

This is literally Ariana Grande in 55 years!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 17, 2020 5:15 PM

^^ that's Connie's lesbian gf, Lola, in the denim jacket.

by Anonymousreply 105August 17, 2020 5:17 PM

She looks like she's going to saw her hand off with that bread knife.

by Anonymousreply 106August 17, 2020 5:45 PM

Connie looks MtF

by Anonymousreply 107August 17, 2020 5:59 PM

Connie Francis - The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread!

by Anonymousreply 108August 17, 2020 7:26 PM

R104, Connie is wearing a very expensive watch in that photo. Italians like expensive clothes, shoes and jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 109August 17, 2020 8:40 PM

I'm sure the crazy poster in this thread will claim that the watch and the jewelry are fake, since Connie is supposed to be broke according to him.

by Anonymousreply 110August 17, 2020 9:19 PM

No, OP thinks she's rich and still famous., rather than a hasbeen.

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote] So basically no one can document her "influence'

Just this week she is analyzed by a British rock star. He explains why her voice is so exceptional and unique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote] She was the first big female star of the pop/rock era.

I'd say that honor would go to Brenda Lee, who is also still on the list of Top 100 Hits by females, and unlike Francis has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, in addition to the Country Music Hall of Fame(where she is the Mistress of Ceremonies every year), the Rockabilly HOF, & the Hit Parade HOF.

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote] She was the first big female star of the pop/rock era.

I'd say that honor would go to Brenda Lee, who is also still on the list of Top 100 Hits by females, and unlike Francis has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, in addition to the Country Music Hall of Fame(where she is the Mistress of Ceremonies every year), the Rockabilly HOF, & the Hit Parade HOF.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2020 3:26 AM

Sorry, I don't know why that posted twice.

by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2020 3:27 AM

R113 Connie Francis was pumping out records before Brenda Lee. They both had great voices but I would give the nod to Connie for the more unique, better voice.

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2020 3:33 AM

Oh, shut up -- the both of you.

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2020 3:49 AM

'R119 All of her records were failures until "Who's Sorry Now" in 1958(released in 1957 but didn't become a hit until 1958). Brenda Lee's first hits were "One Step at a Time" and "Dynamite" both in 1957. So they hit around the same time. I'd say Brenda had a more high profile career and managed to stay relevant longer. She recorded more contemporary music and then successfully transitioned back to Country, when her pop/rock hits dried up. While, Connie was stuck singing old folk songs her father liked.

Also, in terms of staying known Brenda is helped by the fact that "Rockin Around The Christmas Tree" is a perennial entry in the Holiday 100 chart, and her "Jingle Bell Rock," also gets a lot of play. I took my mother to a Brenda Lee concert a few years ago, and I was shocked by the young people that were there. They said they looked up her other work, and became fans, after hearing her Christmas songs.

by Anonymousreply 118August 20, 2020 3:58 AM

Connie's biggest career failure was not releasing an original Christmas classic that could be played for decades. Not to mention the cash cows a classic Christmas song/album are. So many of the stars of her era live on today because of their Christmas music.

by Anonymousreply 119August 20, 2020 5:26 AM

Brenda Lee is respected in the music industry. She's performed together with other greats through the years and that has also kept her relevant.... Glen Campbell, Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Faith Hill, KD Lang... the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2020 6:16 AM

Lesley Gore, Freda Payne, Grace Slick, Belinda Carlisle, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2020 6:37 AM

Shuddup. Brenda Lee sounds like a Chipmunk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 20, 2020 6:48 AM

R114 Brenda Lee 's song, I'm Sorry, is one of the greatest.

I can't imagine either Brenda Lee or Connie Francis twerkin' w/ giant butt implants while doing the splits between 2 chairs.

WAP is an abomination on every level.

by Anonymousreply 123August 20, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote] Connie's biggest career failure was not releasing an original Christmas classic that could be played for decades.

She did. This is played at the Rockefeller ice skating ring constantly during Christmas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 20, 2020 11:19 AM

Connie Francis troll - have you met the Frances Cleveland troll? You two should talk....

by Anonymousreply 125August 20, 2020 11:54 AM

This is all so fucking weird. I’m not sure why I keep coming back to this thread, but Connie’s fan is so dedicated in his adoration.

by Anonymousreply 126August 20, 2020 12:36 PM

I didn't ever care for Brenda Lee, but she did not turn into a novelty act like Connie. She also could cross genres, whereas Connie was really more of a pop singer---closer to Vicki Carr or Peggy Lee, who were much better singers.

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2020 3:43 PM

^^ not familiar with Connie's recording history but flapping his pie hole nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2020 3:51 PM

Can you tell me about the Connie Francis vs. Annette Funicello feud.

by Anonymousreply 129August 20, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote]This is played at the Rockefeller ice skating ring constantly during Christmas.

More bullshit.

The Christmas music at the RC rink is all modern. They don't even do Bing Crosby or Brenda.

And there's a reason why that CFrancis song is unknown to general public: it stinks.

by Anonymousreply 130August 20, 2020 4:42 PM

The Bryant Park ice rink plays it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 131August 20, 2020 5:00 PM

Has Connie shrunk in old age? She looks even more dwarf-like in that photo at R104 than she did back in her heyday.

by Anonymousreply 132August 20, 2020 5:09 PM

LOL. Now we've moved on to Bryant Park. No, dear...keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 133August 20, 2020 5:14 PM

On her Facebook page, Connie gave a beautiful tribute to Trini Lopez, who passed away last week. They dated and he received an award named after Connie.

[quote] Today the world of entertainment lost another of its much loved members with the sad news that Covid-19 had claimed the life of singer, musician and actor Trini Lopez. Many will remember Trini for his huge 1963 hit "If I Had A Hammer", one of the tracks featured on his equally successful 'live' album "Trini Lopez at PJ's". The success of these releases and his own version of "La Bamba" led to the Gibson Guitar Corporation asking him to design a guitar for them. Trini did better than that — he came up with two designs! My own memories of PJ go back further — when he and I dated in 1962! It was indeed a privilege when, in 2016, he was honored by the Footlighters of South Florida and presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award that had been named after me. Thank you Trini for the music and the memories. Love, Connie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 20, 2020 5:34 PM

She probably claims she "dated" everybody, esp. guys who probably were closeted gays like Trini.

by Anonymousreply 135August 20, 2020 5:50 PM

R117 I agree. Connie was better able to cross genre than Brenda. Connie had major success with just about every genre, and she was able to sing standards much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2020 2:08 AM

A great analysis of Connie's vocal skills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2020 2:09 AM

R137, see R112.

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2020 2:12 AM

The above R137 in the antithesis of everything Tom believes, but again his obsession with Connie is unparalleled.

by Anonymousreply 139August 21, 2020 2:13 AM

Connie's mistake in terms of Christmas classics was releasing Baby's First Christmas as a single rather than I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter. The latter was released after the Holiday season. It is a much better song than Baby's First Christmas. However, her Christmas LP is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 140August 21, 2020 2:16 AM

"I agree. Connie was better able to cross genre than Brenda." Brenda never turned into a joke.

by Anonymousreply 141August 21, 2020 2:37 AM

My favorite Vicki Carr song is "It Must Be Him." It was used it in the film Moonstruck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2020 2:57 AM

I almost passed out when I recently came across this pic online: my second favorite 1960s singer reading a newspaper with my favorite singer of the decade on the cover.

By the way, notice that headline: "WORLD'S OUTSTANDING FEMALE SINGER". I never saw anyone describing that midget Brenda Lee with majestic words like those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2020 10:07 AM

R143 Jonathan Bernstein writing in Rolling Stone :

“When I saw her perform, I was just stunned. I don’t think I had ever heard anything like it,” says Elton John, who was a teenager when he first saw Lee play in England. “Brenda Lee is in the top three female rock & roll singers of all time: her, Janis Joplin and Tina Turner.”

"John Lennon called Lee “the greatest rock & roll voice of them all.”"Lee’s hits became favorites of Elvis and helped lay the foundation for an entire generation of cosmopolitan Nashville country. Her music continues to leave its mark in surprising ways."

"Last year, Alison Krauss covered two of Lee’s songs on her Top Ten album, Windy City. Lee inspired both Kanye West, who sampled Lee’s iconic “uh-huh honey” introduction on “Sweet Nothin’s” for his 2013 hit “Bound 2,” as well as Taylor Swift, who has covered “I’m Sorry” and wrote an essay in which she called Lee – one of her earliest idols – “the singer who mastered the sound of heartbreak.” (The essay appeared in last year’s Woman Walk the Line, a book of personal essays about the most influential women in country music.)"

"“Brenda is one of the greatest entertainers ever,” says Dolly Parton, who’s collaborated with Lee over the years and remains a close friend."

"Wanda Jackson, who, like Lee, was a pioneer in the male-dominated worlds of country, rockabilly and rock & roll. “I would hesitate to put her in a box and say she’s country, or she’s pop. I played a different type of rock than she did, but she was right there with all of us. She’s a world-class, powerhouse singer.”

"Lee and Lennon became fast friends during their Star Club residency. “I hung out with John,” she says. “He was extremely intelligent, very acerbic with his jokes, just a gentle person. When I found out that they later said they were fans of my music, I was just floored.”""

"In the Sixties, she earned more Hot 100 singles in the United States – 46 – than any recording artist besides the Beatles, Elvis or Ray Charles,"

"During the Seventies, she would nonetheless reinvent herself as a country star, scoring a half-dozen Top Ten hits between 1973 and 1975"

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2020 12:17 PM

R144 John Lennon also considered Yoko Ono to be a gifted musician so I wouldn't really listen to his opinion on female vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2020 1:00 PM

Who is that, R143?

by Anonymousreply 146August 22, 2020 1:19 PM

The list is not exactly accurate of the success.

In the 90's you can have a smash like Don't speak not making the charts because it was not a proper single release and now you can chart all the song of an album just because people are streaming the whole album.

And of course you have people like Nicky Minaj or Rihanna who are in a lot of collaborations with other artist (right now it seem you can't release a song with a good bunch of featured artists)

by Anonymousreply 147August 22, 2020 1:22 PM

R146 Miss Helen Shapiro, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 22, 2020 1:32 PM

Connie claims she dated Trini Lopez but the truth is she had a thing for Latin dick and staked out his suite at the Sands until he got back from a concert one night. Lopez took pity on her and let her come in so he could fuck her in the ass.

Don't even get me started on how she went after Dad.

by Anonymousreply 149August 22, 2020 5:19 PM

Is this considered Swift’s best song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 22, 2020 5:26 PM

R150 No.

That was her first number one and a big hit but that's all.

Swift when she wants is able to write good songs like this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 22, 2020 5:45 PM

Anyway, i was wrong, Shake it off was her second number one not the first

by Anonymousreply 152August 22, 2020 5:45 PM

Thanks R151. I will check that out.

by Anonymousreply 153August 22, 2020 6:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!