Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Best Cure for Covid-19: A New Administration

When people discuss the possibilities of what can change the course of the pandemic, they forget the most obvious solution: Americans need to fire the current administration and elect one that will use the resources the federal government to end this nightmare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2020 3:06 PM

This election is going to be unlike any we’ve ever seen before. That’s a given—and it’s also just about all that we can be certain of.

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic: Over 154,000 Americans have been killed by COVID-19, and the virus shows no signs of slowing its roll. The U.S. just experienced the largest drop in gross domestic product since the economic measure started being recorded, and the unemployment crisis is hitting both cities and rural America hard. People are devastated, hungry, broke, confused, ill, and unsure of what’s next. And in about 90 days they’re going to vote in a federal election, likely the most important election of our lifetimes.

But how do you hold an election in the age of COVID-19, when Americans are being asked to shelter in place or at least not gather in large groups? That’s what states are struggling to figure out, and they’re trying to do it without monetary support or guidance from Congress, in conjunction with a Postal Service that is also running out of money and intentionally being slowed down and asked to leave mail behind. State secretaries and election officials, meanwhile, are trying to make this election work in spite of a President who has diminished faith in the electoral system by making repeated false claims of voter fraud and who has threatened to change the date of the election altogether, something he doesn’t have the authority to do. This is on top of an election system that was already unsafe, strapped for cash, and falling apart (quite literally; remember the Iowa Caucus?).

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2020 9:09 PM

It’s not going to be easy. And something that voters should keep in mind is that this election isn’t going to be centered around the first Tuesday in November as others have been in the past. It will extend months ahead of November 3 and perhaps even into the months following. Vote-by-mail initiatives and early voting begin as soon as September, and some states will probably be counting those mailed-in ballots well into the colder months—New York is still figuring out results from its primary on June 23.

There’s a lot of new information out there with many new dates to keep in mind. In an attempt to make things a little easier, Fortune has gathered voter registration deadlines, early voting dates, and vote by mail/absentee ballot dates for each state below.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2020 9:09 PM

New York:

Early voting: October 24–November 1

Voter registration deadline: Postmarked by October 9 and received by October 14

Absentee voting: Applications for mail-in ballots must be postmarked by October 27, and the deadline for in-person requests is November 2. Completed ballots must be postmarked by November 2 and received by November 10. Absentee ballots that are delivered in-person must be received by November 3. New York accepted COVID-19 related illness, including fear of catching the virus, as a valid excuse to vote by mail in the primary election. The state legislature is still struggling to account for the primary’s postmark problems and has not yet decided if it will extend the rule changes into the general election.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2020 9:11 PM

The best cure is common sense and empathy. The selfishness is what causes new outbreaks especially amongst the younger generations

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2020 9:11 PM

The best cure is common sense and empathy. The selfishness is what causes new outbreaks especially amongst the younger generations

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2020 9:11 PM

The republican administration is the Virus

Covid is the symptom

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2020 9:12 PM

This is probably the best chance to beat Covid. Even more so than a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2020 9:19 PM

Republicans don’t care about the county at large. They are weird theocracy-seeking freaks who hide their racism and hated and incuriousity behind religion.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2020 9:21 PM

Your thoughts about my voting choices: I can vote by what is called an "absentee ballot" in my state because I have reached the age of 65. No other reason needed to vote absentee if 65 or over on election day.

I was thinking about taking advantage of this privilege to avoid virus exposure, but friends tell me I should go in person to vote so that my paper ballot cannot be lost and/or otherwise never counted.

Granted, I'm in a red state, so Trump is likely to win all the state's electoral votes, but I think it better to have a paper ballot rather than voting electronically at the polls. I think those voting machines and the people who operate have too much opportunity for "fiddling" with the totals should the tallies be close.

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2020 9:22 PM

I just wish we weren’t playing identity politics. I would much prefer Duckworth over Harris and Biden in and of hisself is a horrible candidate. I’m sorry that we’re going to lose again to trump.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2020 9:23 PM

I'm ready

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2020 9:24 PM

I wonder if I can just request an absentee ballot on Michelle Obama's "when we vote " site? I wanna vote by mail.

Can I?

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2020 9:25 PM

Is their anybody who has not registered? Read the link, deadlines are fast approaching.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2020 9:26 PM

California

Early voting: Varies by county

Voter registration deadline: Residents who wish to vote by mail should register no later than October 20. Same-day registration is available on Election Day for in-person voting.

Absentee voting: The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot is October 27, and completed ballots must be postmarked by November 3 and received by November 20. Voters can cast absentee ballots for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2020 9:27 PM

People are getting excited now.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 9:33 PM

Certainly better than using hydroxy

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 9:42 PM

Or Injecting Lysol.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 9:43 PM

This is what people need to think about when they wonder when it will come to an end.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2020 1:46 AM

Bump for a cure.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2020 10:38 AM

[quote]Granted, I'm in a red state, so Trump is likely to win all the state's electoral votes, but I think it better to have a paper ballot rather than voting electronically at the polls. I think those voting machines and the people who operate have too much opportunity for "fiddling" with the totals should the tallies be close. What do you think?

Trump is actively trying to sabotage the USPS. Mail delivery is slowing down and I wouldn't be surprised if things go missing. Maybe you have a ballot drop box where it can dropped off in your area? I don't know if any method is 100% fool-proof, but the drop box seems low risk. If you do vote by mail, send it as early as possible to account for possible delays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2020 12:16 PM

I have faith that Biden/Harris will win and I pray to god that Dems take the Senate as well. And that McConnell gets dumped.

But I also know that if Biden doesn’t have Corona/the economy/ healthcare/jobs sorted within 6 weeks of taking office, the Rethugs and Fox entertainment will be jumping all over him. I hope Gentleman Joe has the guts to say Trump spent 4 years screwing up and it will take that long to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2020 1:04 PM

Vote them out or we will never cure this thing. Biden will bring back the pandemic response team, and get testing and supplies back on track.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2020 5:17 PM
by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2020 5:29 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2020 5:29 PM

Let’s get this circulating as the official cure.

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2020 5:40 PM

Getting rid of Brin and the demon doctor will be a good start.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2020 5:40 PM

Brix

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2020 5:40 PM

I have been screaming about this for months. Every time someone would say or write, "What can we do, stay in quarantine and sink the economy? We just have to accept the risks and sacrifice people to the virus.", I would respond by pointing out that thinking that we only have those two choices presents a FALSE CHOICE. Getting rid of the incompetent motherfucker in the office and getting in REAL leadership is the best option, but too many people like to pretend that isn't something to consider.

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2020 6:59 PM

Why isn’t this listed as the official cure?

It’s the best and maybe only way out of this.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2020 7:01 PM

Cure bump.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2020 7:19 PM

This was all so unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2020 7:25 PM

Let this be the cure!!

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2020 8:34 PM
by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2020 8:53 PM

A literal race for the cure.

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2020 9:13 PM

Bring on the cure!!

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2020 3:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!