Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump Executive Orders will win 2020

This is a very sobering analysis. The EOs are unconstitutional, but fighting them would require Dems to take extremely unpopular positions.

-

Go over those Executive Orders he signed. And each one attacks a core position the Democrats carve out for themselves in the public discourse.

Defer Payroll Tax Collection — Here Trump is doing at least two things. First, he’s a Republican lowering taxes on the poor and middle class. Second, he lowers the cost of U.S. labor, cuts away red tape and makes it easier for businesses in a cash flow crunch to stay open not having to worry about paying monthly/quarterly tax payments. This attacks a core Democrat talking point, “Republicans don’t care about the little guy, we do!”

Extend Student Loan deferments – This is one step closer to debt jubilee on debt that, again, freezes people in place, dealing with debt servicing rather than creating demand in the real economy for goods and services. This also attacks the banks who made these predatory loans, which most student loan debt is, which undermines the “Occupy Wall. St.” talking point that all the money goes to the banks.

Extend Renter and Mortgage Eviction Moratorium – Again Trump hits the banks where they live by stopping the eviction of people whose income the Federal and State governments destroyed with their COVID-19 lockdown orders. This is a direct attack on the DNC’s plan to see the banks throwing millions of people out of their homes during the height of the election campaign. Restates the argument that the GOP is only for the rich vulture capitalists.

Lower and extend Unemployment Assistance — Trump’s no dummy. At this point the budget deficit is ludicrous. Lowering the assistance through the election season, again, says he’s helping and they are obstructing. It’s not perfect, but it extends the fiscal cliff people are facing until after the election allowing him to make more sweeping changes to the tax code while keeping people in their homes, fed and capable of maintaining some semblance of normality. Trump claims the ‘I care about you’ moral high ground. The only thing the Democrats could do in response was fulminate about funding Social Security. But that’s an irrelevant argument to anyone other than Boomers who aren’t paying into the system anyway.

Their checks are coming and will continue to come.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2020 10:15 AM

Sure. Boris. You changed my mind. I’m voting for Zenu.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote]Defer Payroll Tax Collection — Here Trump is doing at least two things. First, he’s a Republican lowering taxes on the poor and middle class.

You're leaving out the fact that they would have to PAY THAT MONEY BACK ALL AT ONCE.

Not bothering to read any further.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2020 3:20 AM

His EOs are a failure

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2020 3:25 AM

OP, you forgot to add that Payroll taxes fund Social Security and Medicare----two very popular programs. The seniors who voted Trump in would not like that.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2020 3:27 AM

spare us the nonsense. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2020 3:27 AM

I dont know if it will win him the election, but Biden should be ready to hear him go on and on about these orders for the next three months and during all the debates.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2020 3:30 AM

The executive order doesn't actually keep evictions from happening, just says for agencies to "consider" not doing evictions. People will figure that out before November as more and more people lose their homes in the next 2 months.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2020 3:33 AM

R4

Social Security is funded out of the general tax fund anyway, so suspending payroll taxes would have a negligible effect on the finances.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2020 3:59 AM

WTF are you talking about, R8? Read the Social Security site that says

[quote] Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $137,700 (in 2020), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2020 5:15 AM

And the nominees for Boldest Political Slander of 2020 are:

[quote] This is a direct attack on the DNC’s plan to see the banks throwing millions of people out of their homes during the height of the election campaign.

Like the Democrats haven’t been working tooth and nail to pass eviction bans the Constitutional way. They did it in April.

The Dems have only threatened to sue over the payroll tax cut, because Trump and Republican scum want to make it a permanent cut and “direct attack” on Social Security like they always have.

The bigger question is: why can’t Trump pass everything through the Congress like he’s supposed to?

And the answer is REPUBLICANS. This is “a direct attack” on the poor from the filthy rich AGAIN during a pandemic which the Republicans can’t be bothered to solve and Republicans are going to lose more senators over it. The GOP needs Trump’s Deplorable base of white trash swamp people supporting them to stay in power but McConnell chooses power grabs and defense systems for the filthy rich instead. BYE, GURL!

And anyone who says “Social Security is irrelevant to everyone except Boomers” is a lying idiot and deplorable shitstain for suggesting Millennials shouldn’t care about their retirement and dotage.

-1,000,000/10, BORIS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2020 6:08 AM

It’s the Republican SENATORS who are trying to stop both eviction protections AND unemployment funding that’s going to “throw millions of people out of their homes” while the rich get bailouts, corporate welfare and Trump’s cronies like Kodak and YRC Trucking get fraudulent capital and make out like bandits.

To spin it as anybody’s fault but the GOP is Nazi-level propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2020 6:17 AM

R9

Like Al Gore’s “Lockbox”?

As soon as that money comes to the treasury it is immediately converted to treasuries and the actual funds are spent on current retirement benefits.

The Social Security retirement fund is comprised of nothing but IOUs from the treasury department.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2020 7:27 AM

R10

The fact that opposing it will be politically suicidal is not changed by your Russia Russia Russia hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2020 7:28 AM

R11

Some Republicans will be the only people opposing these Executive Orders.

Democrats don’t have the constitutional knowledge or fortitude to oppose them on principled grounds.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2020 7:30 AM

It’s not hysteria, r13.

Donald Trump is the paid puppet of Russian mafiarchs who want to destroy NATO and U.S. sanctions against their criminal country.

Trump has been laundering money for Russian mafiarchs for decades and his campaign was paid for by Russians, from the Mercers to Breitbart to Milo Snuffaluffagus to the NRA.

Anyone who votes for Republicans in 2020 is a traitor to the United States and a Russian pawn.

These are facts, not hysteria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 7:45 AM

When is Mitch McConnell going to be punished for opposing Trump?

The Democrats oppose one Executive Order, but Mitch McConnell and the Senate Republicans oppose all of them.

When is Mitch McConnell going to be held accountable for opposing Donald Trump’s selfless crusade for the poor and liberal conservatism?

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 7:47 AM

Dems don't need to fight anything as not only they won't do anything to improve the current situation but also most of these orders are already laws. Dems should just keep ridiculing them and pointing the obvious "legislative plagiarism". The ones fighting them are Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 7:48 AM

So to come back to this - has anyone actually seen this happen?

I work for a huge company (Fortune 10) and they are not deferring the payroll tax. My student loan provider just sent me an e-mail saying payments will resume in October. Wondering if it is just me. I know the legality of these orders were questioned

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2020 2:43 PM

[quote] I work for a huge company (Fortune 10) and they are not deferring the payroll tax.

The expectation is that most companies aren’t going to actually defer it. And yes, if they did, you’d have to pay it all back in one lump sum.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2020 2:49 PM

OP, where does this “sobering analysis” come from? Interesting that you didn’t post a link.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2020 2:51 PM

You can tell this site is fucked up when OP and the ones who followed through to R18 do not mention the following: MEDICARE FOR ALL.

You can tell this she is also fucked up when OP and the ones who followed through to R18 do not mention the following: UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2020 4:42 PM

What are you talking about, R21. Neither of those things pertain to the topic at hand.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 5:15 PM

There was only one EO. The rest were memos.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2020 5:16 PM

There was only one EO. The rest were memos.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2020 5:16 PM

That ship has sailed, OP.

Nobody paid him any mind then, and even fewer know what the hell was in those useless political EOs now. People actually caught on that the payroll tax relief is a crypto Defund Social Security and Medicare assault, and they don't like it at all.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2020 5:22 PM

R25

They will get challenged in court, and lose.

The problem is that a ALL OF THEM are popular. Populist, if you may.

Will losing actually be winning?

I know that this is a very unpopular opinion, but Trump is not stupid. He knows how to “work the system” like a savant.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2020 1:21 AM

R26 here

When I defend orange man bad I always try to clarify my position by saying that he is one of the worst presidents ever.

I still believe that he is going to destroy Biden in November.

I honestly believed that the DNC would demand that he step aside for a candidate that was virtually unknown, but that could attract moderate voters. Cuomo was my choice.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2020 1:26 AM

Only a complete fool would trust Trump to get the tax delay made permanent, he won't care if he get reelected and all the tax money will be due next year.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2020 1:26 AM

A monarch has a proprietary interest in the functionality of his kingdom three generations down the road.

A democracy always devolves into a system where office holders and bureaucrats enrich themselves at the expense of the kingdom, because they know that it is fundamentally unsustainable, so GET THAT MONEY!

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2020 1:29 AM

why did you have that weird and silly fantasy r27?

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2020 2:04 AM

It's a racist right-wing conspiracy theory that Biden will be asked to step aside for a black person.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2020 2:26 AM

R30

Because Joe Biden has a one in 100 chance of winning in November.

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2020 3:04 AM

Well, no not really r32, but also do you imagine the DNC just steps in and tells the winner of the primaries to just stand aside so some rando can be the nominee. Do you understand how any of this works?

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2020 3:06 AM

R33

If the DNC understood how to win, they would’ve dumped Joe.

Democrats in general don’t like him, and enthusiastic Democrats hate him as the candidate.

That is not a winning strategy.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2020 3:09 AM

Democrats voted for him over the other primary candidates. Are you a fallen away Bernie Bro? Do you live in a fever dream where the candidate you like is automatically the preferred candidate of all other Democrats and it's up to the DNC to accept and promote your fantasies?

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2020 3:11 AM

R27 is living in Fairyland. There's a greater motivation for an anti-Trump vote in this country. The only way Trump will win is if cheats and steals the election which he is currently trying to do.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2020 10:03 AM

I’m voting for Kodos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2020 10:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!