Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The UPS “Ring and Run”

I live at the end of a dead end street. The UPS guy parks where he pleases, in the middle of the street, blocking what little traffic there is, which

The problem is that he does a “ring and run”, where he delivers a package, and immediately runs away. It takes me 9 seconds to get to the intercom, and there is no response when I query through it, and the intercom works. It’s three flights. I feel like Pavlov’s dog.

Other delivery people,I just buzz the door open, and tell them through the intercom to put the package in the hallway,

I live in a city, and despite the dead end, there’s passing foot traffic. In particular, there’s a school nearby and my car has been broken into at least three times in the last 3 years, and it was stolen and stripped once.

So, when you’re home, what’s your exercise

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2020 11:19 PM

L'anglais n'est pas votre langue principale.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2020 12:17 AM

What is your point, Rose?

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2020 12:18 AM

Arrange to pick it up at the nearest UPS store.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2020 12:25 AM

UPS is sloppy. So is the post office. At least in my city. Fedex is the only one that does proper deliveries.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote]The problem is that he does a “ring and run”, where he delivers a package, and immediately runs away. It takes me 9 seconds to get to the intercom, and there is no response when I query through it, and the intercom works. It’s three flights. I feel like Pavlov’s dog.

And they say [italic]I[/italic] suffered when I was regularly attacked each night by the rape gangs!

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2020 12:32 AM

They are on time OP. They cannot afford to stay and wait for the person to come over and pick up the package.

If you have hundreds of packages to deliver, you cannot wait for every single customer to open the door and get the package from you. THey have to keep moving or they'll run out of time and possibly get in trouble at work.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2020 12:38 AM

My mom’s fedex guy frequently messes up. Sometimes I see the Amazon guys leaving carts unattended and I see guys steal packages. My post box sometimes has my neighbor’s mail. I get messages from my building about mix ups with dry cleaning. The local Thai restaurant sent me someone else’s order. Employees are human and sometimes they’re stoned or tired and they have an unprecedented number of deliveries these days. Leave a note for the UPS guy telling him to buzz or speak to the UPS office and explain about your buzzer. You may need to track your packages, meet the guy once or twice and then work it out. I can see you’re irritated but it’s a small problem; don’t hurt yourself with negativity over this.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2020 1:05 AM

I work for a small parcel forwarding company that uses UPS as a last-mile carrier (among various others internationally). UPS is pretty good to its business customers, but their residential service leaves much to be desired.

I always suggest making sure your package somehow ends up in the postal system and not traveling through the delivery networks of a private courier like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

I'm Canadian and I'd rather Canada Post handle my packages whether domestic or international inbound and outbound than any of the private outfits. I ask to the point of begging American sellers to ship with USPS, British sellers with Royal Mail, French with La Poste, so on and so forth.

Americans really underestimate USPS. USPS is perhaps one of the best international postal carriers I've had to deal with. I'd love to see the same Americans deal with Canada Post and like I said, I still prefer them over the private carriers.

If your sender really can only ship through UPS, try having the item sent to your workplace instead of your home. The private carriers are usually way better at servicing businesses that regularly receive a lot of inbound shipments than residential areas that might only be serviced a handful of times in a month.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2020 1:07 AM

My normal UPS guy is a pretty sweet but obviously straight middle aged guy who has actually asked me about the best time to deliver packages. I have a quarterly wine shipment that requires a signature, and he's gone out of his way to know when to drop by. He's currently training a little twink on the route, so they're not all bad.

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2020 1:11 AM

Consider yourself lucky OP, my UPS guy doesn't even ring, just dumps the package. How come you never see a UPS gal? Sex discrimination?

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2020 1:33 AM

I have a P.O. Box, and I prefer to use that for my important mail and packages. Unfortunately, some correspondence has to come to my home address, and it usually gets delivered on a rainy day, with the postal carrier leaving the lid flipped up so the mail gets soaked. When I still worked in the office, I would go out of my way to avoid ordering items if I knew the company would use UPS. Since I started working from home, I no longer have a problem with UPS, since I have an enclosed porch which I keep unlocked, and my UPS guy can leave packages on the porch. And he's gotten to know me enough to make an effort, which is a bonus.

I sometimes order somewhat valuable items (semi-precious gemstones, coins, etc), and I would never risk having those sent to my house: I'd rather sign for them at the Post Office. And my neighborhood isn't notably crime-ridden. To be honest, considering the trouble you've had with your car, I'd say the problem isn't UPS but the neighborhood itself.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2020 1:39 AM

Oh, Pierre, please arrange to pick up your stuff at a mutually agreeable place if the ring and run doesn't work for you.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2020 1:53 AM

When did you move 'home'? Thought you were living in Nice....

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2020 1:55 AM

What R13 said

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2020 2:46 AM

OP, is your UPS guy hot?

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 4:57 AM

Nice is nice, but don't tell ICE, that I’m in Boston now. Deep under cover.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 11:04 PM

They're on a schedule, fat whore OP. They don't have time to wait for you to put on your makeup, wig hat, kaftan and ear rings to mince and prance to the front door.

Nor to they appreciate you licking your chops and presenting hole.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 11:12 PM

We used to give the regular UPS guy our front door key. The key worked for four adjacent buildings. By now, I’m sure they’ve lost the key.

They just delivered an expiring credit card replacement 2 blocks over, at a storage place that seems to be new. They didn’t even try to deliver here, I’ve never had a package sent there before. I know they are pressed for time. I’ve read they are the worst about that, but still, 9 seconds?

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2020 11:14 PM

[quote] R4: UPS is sloppy. So is the post office. At least in my city. Fedex is the only one that does proper deliveries.

My Boston Back Bay USPS office is great, actually. They have a manager who is the best. The clerks used to be be better, now they tend towards being surly, but they do deal with the public, after all, so God bless them.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2020 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!