Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What skin care products for the face do you use?

I need to get on my skin care game. What are the best products?

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2020 11:48 PM

MDNA Skin Reinvention Cream and Face Wash are great, with the best ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 11:38 PM

MDNA Skin Reinvention Cream and Face Wash are great, with the best ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 11:38 PM

What are your skin concerns? How much time do you want to spend? How much money?

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 11:46 PM

Blend, blend, blend!

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 11:47 PM

I just had my second microneedling with PRP. Discomfort and downtime are minimal and the results are comparable to pricier, more invasive procedures.

More advanced than what OP might be looking for, but It’s like a shortcut to upping your skincare game.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 11:50 PM

Clinique, Kiehl’s, Mario Badescu

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 11:51 PM

I second Kiehl's.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2020 12:31 AM

I just had a small capillary burst on my chin and cheeks. Is there anything I can do about it?

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2020 1:29 AM

I want to try Pixi's milky toner. But $30 seems rather steep.

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2020 12:24 PM

Baby batter.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2020 1:14 PM

I've been using Nivea Creme at night. It's supposed to be almost an exact dupe for La Mer. I just add some Marine Hyaluronics from The Ordinary for $6.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2020 1:33 PM

Does any of this stuff make any difference?

It just feels like busy work for people with extra cash.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2020 1:44 PM

Its a crutch for overweight and unattractive men R12

They console themselves that the $200/month they spend on various cremes and potions leaves them with "glowing" skin and that somehow makes them attractive.

Many women fall into this trap too as they get older.

It's similar to plastic surgery where they convince themselves that "if my face is pulled and tucked so that I have less wrinkles, no one will notice that the rest of my body still looks like I'm 75."

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2020 1:50 PM

In terms of aging, the best thing you can do is just wear sunscreen on your face—for real. As for product lines, I use Eucerin stuff for my entire body. They're affordable, every drugstore has them, they're gentle, and they're reliable. I wear their SPF face lotion everyday.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2020 2:00 PM

Drink a lot of water. Don’t smoke. Limit alcohol intake. Don’t sunbathe or use a tanning bed. Use sunscreen or a moisturizer with SPF even when it’s cloudy outside. On days you shave, don’t use any type of cleanser/soap on your face/on days you don’t shave use a gentle cleanser (foaming types are good). Moisturize, including your neck (tech-neck is real) after cleaning your face in the morning and evening (use a face wipe rather than soap/cleanser) before bed.

It is less about what types of products you use and more about how you treat your skin - genetics play a big part also. That said, I use a combo of L’occitane, Kiehl’s and Wild Carrot vanilla bean face cream (because I like the cake batterish smell and the texture reminds me of night creams my moms used to wear when I was young).

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 2:04 PM

How do you get rid of brown age spots?

And how (if possible) do ou get rid of the repulsive purple scabs that pimples turn into when you shave over them and/or abrade them while washing your face, and then they take months to go away?

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 2:07 PM

MDNA is ridiculously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 3:33 PM

R12 I think you've nailed it. When younger I fell for all that shit. I've used the so called best at rediculous prices. Anything by Clinique I'd save for stripping paint off walls. I'm now 64 and still have great skin, but I don't fool myself, I am 64. A Sunscreen is all I'd recommend every day. Have used one almost daily since the 80's. Difficult to find one for men they doesn't have that white/grey look on your skin. I stopped using tons of expensive junk at least 10 years ago and wash using the oil method. (Tons of vids on YouTube) rub oil, yes oil (and I have oily skin) on your face and neck (I use coconut oil). Get a muslin cloth. You can buy them ready made but a metre of muslin, may be Egyptian cotton to you, is dirt cheap. Rip some off. Wet with warm water wipe face and neck. Gently exfoliating. Change cloth when it gets soft and rinse in very hot water regularly. While face still damp, put a little oil in your palms and rub hands together, pat over face, moisturises a treat. Takes a couple of minutes night and morning. Still no spots, blackheads around nose, blemishes or wrinkles. Neck's going but that's down to age, it comes to us all. If you try this, stick with it for a while, your skin might need to adjust.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2020 4:03 PM

R18 thank you for your quack opinion.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2020 6:26 PM

Fab sale going on right now for Jennifer's bday week. LOVE SSC! .99 shipping! Run!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2020 6:27 PM

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2020 6:57 PM

olive oil, castor oil, sugar, palmer's complexion bar, witch hazel, coconut oil

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2020 7:11 PM

I use The Ordinary. All of their stuff is great and very reasonably priced.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2020 7:14 PM

I use a lighter, lower-SPF sunscreen lotion in the morning (right now it's Olay but I switch it up) and Ponds Rejuveness at night. On top of that I put on a light layer of coconut oil I buy from the grocery store. Works well for me. I went through a period in my early-30s where I too purchased a number of high-end skin care products form Natura Bisse and La Mer. Definitely not worth the money and, frankly, I don't think they made a difference at all. If anyone has a good recommendation for an SPF daytime lotion (that's not super expensive), I'd love to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2020 7:23 PM

Olay Regenerist on my face and neck. Aveeno body lotion. I'm loving the Lavender fragrance right now. It seems to help me de-stress and sleep better. I shower at night so in the morning, I use Seabreeze on my face before applying the Olay.

For the poster who asked about dark spots, I'm thinking of trying the product at the link. I'm light-skinned AA and have some spots on my cheeks I'd like to get rid of. However its a prescription-only product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2020 7:52 PM

OP LISTEN : GOOD FRESH FOOD, WATER, SLEEP. (If you have a delicate dry skin) GOOD FRESH FOOD, WATER, SLEEP (If you have a thick greasy skin) and GOOD FRESH FOOD, WATER, SLEEP ( If you have mixed skin.) apart from that, anything you put on your skin will prevent it from producing it's own balance. If you really must do something, like it's very cold or you've been in the sun : ULTRA REPAIR by First Aid. face and body. EGYPTIAN MAGIC around the eyes. A jade roll is always helpful for face/eyes massage. Twice a year, take a full body/face/hair olive oil mask. Don't put chemicals on your skin OP. Beauty is all in your plate.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2020 8:06 PM

Nothing. In winter if my skin peels flakes from dryness - R21. I think most of this crap is pointless for “youthfulness”. But for winter dry skin, I’ve found the Clinique DDMM is weirdly effective when nothing else is.

Always feels odd buying it since I’m the only guy in the store. Clearly women must spend a ton of money on cosmetic crap.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2020 9:16 PM

DHC Pore Cleansing Oil (oil cleanser, step 1)

Cerave Cream Cleanser (cleanser, step 2)

The Ordinary 7% Glycolic Toner (toner, step 3)

The Ordinary Marine Hylaluronics (very light/watery serum - am use)

The Ordinary Buffet (heftier serum for fine lines- when you need more help)

The Ordinary Caffeine Solution (for eye puffs and bags, helps dark circles)

Cerave Vitamin C Serum (for overnight)

Mario Badescu Cellufirm drops (another am serum, rotate with the Buffet, more emollient)

Cerave Tinted Sunscreen (mineral sunscreen) SPF 30

The Ordinary 30% AHA/2% BHA "Red Peel" or "vampire peel" solution - 1-2x per month

by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2020 9:24 PM

Certain lasers treat capillaries R8. Check with the dermatology unit at one of your better regional medical centers.

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2020 9:42 PM

Nice regimen R28.

by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2020 9:48 PM

Nothing wrong with a little self care, men or women. It’s not just about looking a certain way, it’s working to be your best self. That makes most people feel good.

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2020 9:52 PM

Piss for the face.

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote] Nothing wrong with a little self care, men or women. It’s not just about looking a certain way, it’s working to be your best self. That makes most people feel good

Except it's stupid, unecessary, and a total waste of good money. Women need it because straight men think they're ugly without tons of skincare/ make up, but men really don't need anything. Except, again, good food, sleep, water, and a healthy lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2020 10:02 PM

I have 6 ACE’s r33. My skin is shit as a result. Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2020 10:09 PM

Is R28 American Psycho?

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2020 10:24 PM

R8) Until you can get laser treatment, apply Arnica Gel to the area every day. It will help minimize the redness. Visine is another option for short term spider vein shrinkage, just dab it on the area.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2020 10:29 PM

Fresh berry smoothies with blueberries and raspberries ( you can add strawberries and/or blackberries as well) are an instant skin brightener - don't add dairy.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2020 10:31 PM

Do semen facials count?

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2020 10:54 PM

Wow, Coincidentally I was just writing about this topic on another post. The only thing that the FDA has ever approved for skin care/wrinkles is Retin-A. I use a .001% gel. Get your doctor to write a prescription for it, use it at night and it’s the only thing that is proven to reduce wrinkles. Nothing else works, everything you see at a department store is Snake oil.

Once you start using Retin-A you will have to go on a full-time sunscreen regimen. Retin-A thins your skin and makes you vulnerable to the sun. But like I said before it is the only thing that works and is FDA approved.

BTW- I use a moisturizer/SPF 15 sunscreen from Trader Joe’s, and it works fantastically well, all for the price of $8

So walk past your Macy’s cosmetic counter and go to your dermatologist and tell him you need Retin-A. It is the only thing that really works.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2020 11:29 PM

Shit, i meant 0.01% strength

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2020 11:30 PM

SPF must be at least 30

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2020 12:12 AM

R31, I think the question is whether these products are actual selfcare. Or are they simply a swindle.

I could tell you tell you rubbing my sweat on your eyelids is self care but that does not mean it really is.

by Anonymousreply 42August 13, 2020 1:52 AM

Tretinoin/retin-A is the most potent skincare out there and produces real results, but it’s prescription only. A high PPD sunscreen is also a must.

Beyond those two products, I use AHA, BHA, vitamin C, Cerave, and some oils. But the tret and sunscreen are the two essential products.

by Anonymousreply 43August 13, 2020 3:10 AM

Retin A was very subtly helpful after months. But totally not worth it. Can get the same results with a good dermabrasion in a day - instead of having an obsessive daily routine for months.

by Anonymousreply 44August 13, 2020 3:24 AM

I've never really had a "skin care routine" but I had issues with my face being very dry so I started using Neutrogena Hydroboost products and I've noticed a huge difference in just a week. I use Lubiderm as a hand and body moisturizer. I have sensitive skin so I have avoided anything with Retin A because it can cause irritation.

by Anonymousreply 45August 13, 2020 3:58 AM

R33, what you yourself describe IS self-care. And not all women, or men, do it for others. Some can give a rat’s ass what others think. And if they aren’t hurting anybody, why should they?

R31, some are a money grab, but there are products and ingredients that have proven benefits at all price points (the Ordinary, mentioned by some here, provides good quality at a good price). You can be smart with your time, money and health by doing a little research.

And if anyone wants to argue that staying out of the sun and using a quality sun protection product doesn’t prevent wrinkles and deadly skin cancer, or that good food and exercise and sleep doesn’t have health benefits (and that healthy people look better) and/or that none of these are self-care, than you’re just a cranky bitch who might consider taking a little better care of yourself (again refer to R33).

by Anonymousreply 46August 13, 2020 11:12 AM

I have excellent skin, but have never used any of these products. (I have skin allergies and cannot, so this owes nothing to my own personal judgement..)

The simplest soap (same soap for face and body). Nothing with a fragrance. Nothing with chemicals. Nothing goes on my skin that is not washed off within a minute or two.

No wrinkles. No discoloration.

I cannot help but wonder if it is the skin products that cause skin issues, since mostly people who use these products that have heavy wrinkles and blemishes).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 13, 2020 12:11 PM

Tretinoin

by Anonymousreply 48August 13, 2020 12:17 PM

I was using RetinA for a couple months. Can’t say I noticed a difference. Maybe I’m too far gone.

by Anonymousreply 49August 13, 2020 12:21 PM

Or maybe you have a genetic predisposition to good skin. Some folks do. And I hate them for it.

Just kidding. You’re lucky if that’s you.

by Anonymousreply 50August 13, 2020 12:25 PM

Never soap. I only use apricot scrub. Pat dry and then moisturize with coconut oil. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 51August 13, 2020 12:27 PM

That St. Ives apricot scrub is so abrasive! I use Clinique 7 day scrub - every 7 days. It is made up of tiny granules that do not harm your facial skin.

You can harm your skins natural protective barrier with too many exfoliates or being overly aggressive with your cleansing routine. A growing population of skin care junkies now have “sensitive skin “ as a result of being overly aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 52August 13, 2020 1:50 PM

Ive never found it abrasive, and I receive compliments on my skin often. Cue the "Sure, Jan"trolls.

by Anonymousreply 53August 13, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote]Except it's stupid, unecessary, and a total waste of good money. Women need it because straight men think they're ugly without tons of skincare/ make up, but men really don't need anything. Except, again, good food, sleep, water, and a healthy lifestyle.

Well r33, fortunately for me I dont let random bitches on the internet like yourself tell me what I need and what is waste for me. Imagine that!

Everyone has different skin issues, so what might work for one person will not work for another. I had light acne until my early 20s and after than I developed seborrheic dermatitis on my face, neck and scalp. I use topical prescriptions in combination with OTC skin care products just to keep my skin decent looking. I am also a fan of The Ordinary products.

by Anonymousreply 54August 13, 2020 3:42 PM

Oil of OldLady...

by Anonymousreply 55August 13, 2020 3:48 PM

Good old generic Retin-A, Tretinoin, the lowest percentage, 0.05%.

Lots of these potions are overpriced, you can find the same ingredients in lower priced products. A friend gave me a $95 bottle of LeMer face cleanser, they told me they didn't like it, maybe I would. I was shocked anyone would pay such a ridiculous price for a facial cleanser or any cleanser..

by Anonymousreply 56August 13, 2020 3:56 PM

"If anyone has a good recommendation for an SPF daytime lotion (that's not super expensive), I'd love to hear it."

I use this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 13, 2020 4:32 PM

Erno Laszlo Hydraphel Skin Supplement

Paula's Choice 1% BHA Lotion

Ghost Democracy Boomerang Firming Eye Concentrate

by Anonymousreply 58August 13, 2020 4:37 PM

Cumofsumyunguy

by Anonymousreply 59August 13, 2020 4:40 PM

I think everyone should use sunscreen, but a lot of lotions have really toxic sunblocks like Avobenzone. It doesn't last very long and there's some evidence that it could cause skin cancer.

It's much better to use a lotion with zinc as the sunblock ingredients. They've come a long way with making zinc products that quickly disappear into your skin.

"Zinc oxide is also the only active sunscreen ingredient approved by the FDA for infants under six months, which is a striking fact. Zinc oxide is a better sunscreen ingredient, as it offers the best UVA protection of all current sunscreen chemicals, and titanium dioxide is second best"

I've used Neutrogena for years and it has actually eliminated discolorations on my skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 13, 2020 6:10 PM

I'll second r60's recommendation of the Neutrogena sheer zinc sunscreen

by Anonymousreply 61August 13, 2020 6:12 PM

R61, no ghost face after applying? I use City Shield by Elizabeth Arden, Elta MD and Clinique City Block now. All physical sunscreens.

by Anonymousreply 62August 13, 2020 9:18 PM

r62, no, as long as you rub it in. Australian Gold also makes good mineral sunscreens

by Anonymousreply 63August 13, 2020 9:35 PM

This is unpopular, but I used petroleum jelly on my face. I also use coconut or olive oil. For soap, I use Aveeno body wash. Or else I use plain water to wash my face. I have a scrubbing towel that I use ~ 3X per week on my face (w/the Aveeno), that's my exfoliator. I don't go on forever with the towel, just a couple of passes over my face.

For sunscreen, I use Josie Maran's argan sunscreen. It does leave a little bit of a white cast. I've tried a few different sunscreens and the JM one is very gentle, IMO. I showed the bottle to my dermatologist and he said it's good. He also said petroleum jelly is "benign" or something like that.

Anyway, I know I will get some comments saying I'm crazy, but just wanted to offer an affordable alternative to those who want / need it. The sunscreen is a little pricey, though.

Yes, I have pretty nice skin.

Other things that help: cut out alcohol. Limit caffeine. Lots of water (to drink).

by Anonymousreply 64August 13, 2020 10:16 PM

Whatever works for your skin, r64. Sure wouldn’t work for me to use Vaseline on my face.

by Anonymousreply 65August 13, 2020 10:59 PM

R64 petroleum jelly is an occlusive; it just sits on top of the skin and locks whatever you put on first in. Your derm said it’s benign because it doesn’t really do anything and sounds like it’s pointless in your routine. People typically put on an active or a moisturizer on before applying it.

by Anonymousreply 66August 13, 2020 11:47 PM

Parralox, sweetie. Does what it says on the tin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 13, 2020 11:50 PM

Are all celebrity skincare lines complete bullshit??

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2020 2:03 AM

Yup, r68. They do have effective products, but the prices are beyond gouging. As some people upthread suggested, The Ordinary has most of these identical formulations at a fraction of the cost. Get the Vitamin C, the “Buffet,” the AHA peel, and the Hyaluronic acid and you’re set. And it will be about 30 dollars total.

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2020 2:23 AM

I use the Neutrogena sheer zinc sunscreen and yes I have ghost face. It takes a *lot* of rubbing in. But it doesn’t sting if it gets in your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 70August 14, 2020 3:39 PM

R70 I pretty much only use Neutrogena sunscreens myself. My only exception is Eucerin's SPF face lotion. The Neutrogena zinc mineral sunscreen is VERY tacky feeling and does leave an intense white sheen, but it works really well. The main issue I have is getting it to blend in in places where there is any hair--it's difficult to work it in on my arms and and/or unshaven face.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 4:25 AM

As far as Zinc Oxide, why not buy a generic tube of Zinc Oxide at the pharmacy, it's about $4.99! You can find it in the baby ointment section.

It's all purpose, it can be used as a sunblock and it helps with any burns you might get while cooking.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2020 1:58 PM

You put pure zinc oxide ointment on your face and you’ll look like Casper

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote]You put pure zinc oxide ointment on your face and you’ll look like Casper

Would it make a difference at the beach?

Zinc cream usually fades, so, not exactly sure WTF you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2020 6:54 AM

Combination of LUSH, Shisheido and Fresh products.

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2020 7:04 AM

Lab Series Pro LS

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2020 7:06 AM

R74 is stupid

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2020 3:11 PM

R77 is a Rhodes Scholar, fuck off.

Just keep spending hundreds and thousands on potions which don't work. Good skin is usually due to inheriting amazing genes, a healthy diet, remaining active, not smoking, not drinking and not doing recreational drugs. When you party hard in your teens and twenties it will age you more than a person who didn't indulge.

It's not that deep!

by Anonymousreply 78August 21, 2020 10:04 AM

I just use Clinique M Protect for Men. It’s SPF 25 too. I’ve tried other brands but always regret it and end up going back. I should just give up trying other brands as nothing comes close to how good this stuff is.

I use a mild cleanser while in the shower and sometimes apply a toner before the MProtect.

I tried going to a full regime but it was too much work and I gave up after a couple of days. Keep it simple.

by Anonymousreply 79August 21, 2020 10:12 AM

I’m R79 and just read R78s reply about not partying in your youth etc. I certainly did none of those things. Zero drugs smoking or alcohol. I’m 30 and although I wouldn’t class myself as attractive, I’ve definitely aged a lot better than the attractive guys I went to school with. They look absolutely terrible now. It’s some comfort I guess.

by Anonymousreply 80August 21, 2020 10:18 AM

I used to buy expensive stuff until I accidentally found out that “Head and Shoulders - Deep Moisture shampoo” does wonders for my skin for a small fraction of the cost! Clear skin, no blemishes/spots, less visible lines and moisturized. I found this out last year when I washed my face with shampoo (because I didn’t feel like getting out the shower to get my facial wash). Loved the results and have been doing it ever since. I wash my hair and face together with HSDM every other day.

by Anonymousreply 81August 21, 2020 10:38 AM

Try this: Amlactin Rapid Relief. I have a condition where my body doesn't slough off the top layer of skin and it builds up. Icthyosis vulgaris. I have a fairly mild case and you would never notice any scaling. Until recently I used very expensive creams on my face and Amlactin on my body. I decided to use it on my face. You have to allow some time for this. Wash your face and dry it and apply the lotion. The lotion has to dry. Let it sit and then rub your hands over our your face and all the dry skin will rub off. I noticed some wrinkles around my mouth are almost gone. It didn't harm my skin at all and it looks great. best to do this when you have a bit of time. Costs around $25 for large bottle. Drugstore or online.

by Anonymousreply 82August 21, 2020 12:43 PM

[quote]I’m [R79] and just read R78s reply about not partying in your youth etc. I certainly did none of those things. Zero drugs smoking or alcohol. I’m 30 and although I wouldn’t class myself as attractive, I’ve definitely aged a lot better than the attractive guys I went to school with. They look absolutely terrible now. It’s some comfort I guess.

Again, for a lot of people it's all down to genetics.

Everyone on my mom's side looks much younger than their actual ages, even an aunt who is now 78. She has few wrinkles and she had smoked! She stopped smoking in her 60s.

I have so many cousins on my mom's side, I cannot remember their ages. I'm also counting the second and third cousins. Last year, I went to a family reunion, I nearly fainted when one of my female cousins told me she was 50! I though she was in her mid-30s. Besides being naturally good looking, she has amazing skin and amazing bone structure. She wears minimal makeup. She also has gorgeous thick wavy hair, at 50, she isn't even experiencing thinning hair, ditto for her two older brothers, they still have thick heads of hair, they are both well into their 60s.

by Anonymousreply 83August 21, 2020 1:36 PM

A little jizz around the mouth prevents those horrid frown lines.

PS: I dab a little spunk around the corners of my eyes for that extra lift and dewy appearance.

by Anonymousreply 84August 21, 2020 3:38 PM

Sunscreen - Heliocare 360 gel oil free

by Anonymousreply 85August 21, 2020 4:18 PM

I make all of my own products because I am allergic to most shampoos and body washes. I enjoy it and it's become a fun hobby.

by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2020 2:58 AM

If we're talking sunscreen Supergoop and Biore Watery Essence.

by Anonymousreply 87August 22, 2020 3:52 AM

Neutrogena Zinc, Elta MD, or Suntegrity sublock every day, even in the dead of winter Take hyaluronic acid, blackcurrant seed oil, fish oil, multivitamin, and extra zinc daily (try to buy pure encapsulations or thorn brands, if possible) Skinceutucal Vitamin C/ferulic acid daily beneath sunblock At night- oil cleanse, tone with witch hazel and then apply either a retinol or glycolic acid product (the Ordinary, Skinceuticals, and Glytone are some brands I like), alternate nights with Jojoba oil Frequent Glycolic acid peels, at home and also at the dermatologist's office Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase Use frownies between your eyebrows at night to avoid botox for as long as possible Wear a hat and sunglasses outside as much as possible

-My job is in the public eye and it requires certain level of vanity, unfortunately. ( currently sleepless and chubby with good skin)

by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2020 5:47 AM

Here's an attempt at fixing my post from above so that it's a bit easier to read.

Neutrogena Zinc, Elta MD, or Suntegrity sublock every day, even in the dead of winter.

Take hyaluronic acid, blackcurrant seed oil, fish oil, multivitamin, and extra zinc daily (try to buy Pure Encapsulations or Thorne brands, if possible).

Skinceutucal Vitamin C/ferulic acid daily beneath sunblock At night- oil cleanse, tone with witch hazel and then apply either a retinol or glycolic acid product (the Ordinary, Skinceuticals, and Glytone are some brands I like), alternate nights with Jojoba oil.

Frequent Glycolic acid peels, at home and also at the dermatologist's office.

Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase.

Use frownies between your eyebrows at night to avoid botox for as long as possible.

Wear a hat and sunglasses outside as much as possible.

-My job is in the public eye and it requires certain level of vanity, unfortunately. (currently sleepless and chubby with good skin)

by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2020 6:06 AM

R89 I agree about Elta MD. I use the Broad-Spectrum SPF 46. No "ghost face" and it doesn't migrate into you eyes or mouth like so many other sunscreens do eventually.

by Anonymousreply 90August 22, 2020 6:09 AM

The people who use retin a what cleanser do you use on your face? Also can you do retin a in the evening and differin in the morning?

by Anonymousreply 91August 22, 2020 6:32 AM

"The people who use retin a what cleanser do you use on your face? Also can you do retin a in the evening and differin in the morning?"

I like Borage Therapy facial cleanser when my skin is feeling sensitive. Otherwise, Glytone mild gel cleanser or when I want a deep clean Neostrata foaming face wash is a good one. It's helpful to tone with witch hazel after cleansing.

I don't know about using retin A in the evening and Differin the evening. That seems like a lot, but if you do make sure to wear at least a 30 SPF every single day, even in the winter or on overcast days.

The most effective skincare product at preventing damage is using a strong and effective sunblock like Elta MD or Neutrogena 50 Zinc every day.

I agree with the above posters about Retin A/Retinol, it's probably the best in terms of making a real difference. Though, I'm also partial to Glycolic acid and topical Vitamin C.

by Anonymousreply 92August 22, 2020 4:20 PM

Don’t use aha or glycolic or Differin products while using Retin A.

by Anonymousreply 93August 23, 2020 5:45 PM

[quote]I used to buy expensive stuff until I accidentally found out that “Head and Shoulders - Deep Moisture shampoo” does wonders for my skin for a small fraction of the cost! Clear skin, no blemishes/spots, less visible lines and moisturized. I found this out last year when I washed my face with shampoo (because I didn’t feel like getting out the shower to get my facial wash). Loved the results and have been doing it ever since. I wash my hair and face together with HSDM every other day.

It could be the Zinc in the Head & Shoulders. Though, I cannot imagine using a shampoo on my face. The sudsing agent, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is in most shampoos, is very harsh.

A friend takes Zinc tablets, he swears they help his skin.

I personally think people should use whatever products work for them, just do your research. What works for one person, doesn't work for all. There are so many over priced skin products out there, the cheaper counterparts usually work just as well.

by Anonymousreply 94August 23, 2020 6:27 PM

This all seems like an incredible effort. I use moisturizing soaps when showering (Dove, Oil of Olay, whatever is on sale). I recommend staying out of the sun in the middle of the day (more for skin cancer avoidance than beauty) -by FAR the most sun damage occurs between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm. (11- 3 pm if you're on day light savings time). Take vitamin D, which you'll need because you're not getting sunshine - it also helps to prevent sunburn and sun damage. Use sun block when you're going to the beach or gardening. My 98 year old mother has gorgeous skin, because she's fair-skinned Irish and has avoided long sun exposure her entire life. I have olive skin so I don't burn easily, but I should have stayed out of the sun when I was young. Still, I only have the usual amount of wrinkles in my forehead, not elsewhere on my face and body, so at age 60+ I'm grateful for small favors. The skin damage most of us have cannot be undone, and most of that damage occurred when we were children.

by Anonymousreply 95August 23, 2020 6:49 PM

The only things I have ever used are Ivory soap until I got older, then Ivory or Neutrogena, and some exfoliating scrub once a week or so. I don't have a lot of wrinkles, I have good skin, I look younger, people tell me. Not sure all the crap people use is worth it. I used to smoke and I got a lot of sun too.

by Anonymousreply 96August 23, 2020 8:48 PM

I use and try a lot of skin care products and have found what I like. Clinique smart repair serum daily. Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel, Clinique smart repair eye, Heliocare 360 oil free gel sunscreen.

Clinique mild facial cleanser, Clinique exfoliating lotion 1, S.W. Basics Rosewater facial spray, Clinique Turnaround lotion.

by Anonymousreply 97August 23, 2020 8:58 PM

Strivectin neck cream too!

Prescription Differin 0.3%. Stronger than over the counter.

Kiehl’s powerful strength line reducing concentrate 12.5% Vitamin C + Hyaluronic acid and the accompanying eye cream every other night.

by Anonymousreply 98August 23, 2020 9:31 PM

And... During these hot summer months I use Clinique for men oil control mattifying moisturizer.

by Anonymousreply 99August 23, 2020 9:35 PM

I'm 59 and have no wrinkles due to oily skin and being overweight. But my face has fallen as happens with age. Nothing to be done about that short of surgery. But due to heavy drinking, my skin is even greasier and I get sweaty. Not going to give up my cocktails. It's also red and blotchy sometimes, with deep pores. If

So I just use makeup. And drink tons of water. I use L'Oreal Men's Expert anti-oiliness matte moisturizer SPF15 (cheaper than Clinique and you can get it at Walgreen's) followed by 4VOO for Men anti-shine powder. It's expensive but undetectable after I blot much of it off. Makes a huge improvement. Before bed I wash with Noxema and apply No.7 gradual self-tanning moisturizer. It is very subtle and doesn't turn me orange like you know who...

If ambitious, will use concealer under the baggy eyes followed by mixing liquid foundation with moisturizer and slather that on, then wipe away excess and blend with a wet sponge to keep it unnoticeable.

To be honest, most of the time I use Dial soap on my face in the shower and do nothing else and don't give two fucks.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2020 11:39 PM

I honestly have no wrinkles at all at 42 and simply think it is genetics and how my face reacts to UV light. I haven't had a sunburn on my face in my life and saw no difference when I used a super expensive cleanser or Dove. That being said, I did notice that when I used some Lancome Advanced Genefique Serum once a day and for the eyes and a soft cleansing brush with Cetaphil my face had a glow to it. I am not a product junkie but I did get those as a free gift when I bought my sister a Lancome perfume for her B-day. At the time, however, I was also doing gym 5 days a week (30 minutes cardio, 30 weights and power yoga). I was also eating lots of vegetables and healthy fats. I can also say that my skin saw an improvement after I bought a juicer and started making my own tomato juice with a half lemon squeezed into it.

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2020 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!