Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moms are demanding to be paid for teaching their own kids this Fall

This is not another story about pandemic mom rage — although, after a long day of working from home while keeping my cooped-up 4- and 6-year-old sons from hurting themselves or each other, I often find myself screaming into the abyss.

This is also not a partisan political story per se — yet, I can’t go on without mentioning the failed federal government response to a virus that has killed more than 163,000 Americans and prioritized the reopening of bars and Disney World over schools.

This is a call to action: It’s time to pay parents to teach our kids this fall — whether 100 percent remotely, or to facilitate the “blended learning” models some school districts, such as New York City’s, plan to adopt.

Parents need to be paid for the work — yes, work — that it takes to raise, and teach, children. Raising children is a full-time job. And it’s long been a duty shouldered as “invisible labor” by women, whether those are unpaid mothers, or women, often of color, who are paid poverty wages as nannies and daycare providers.

America has a big problem right now. Nearly 100,000 kids were diagnosed with COVID-19 in late July, around the time schools started opening up again. The majority of parents work outside the home. With little to no safety net, that leaves parents forced to make hard, and possibly deadly, decisions. That reality is why teachers are protesting with coffins and preparing wills.

Let’s say a kid wakes up with sniffles but no fever. Does the parent stay home or send the kid to school so they can go to work? Reading this, it’s easy to say, “Obviously the parent stays home with the kid. What if the kid has the coronavirus?” But what if skipping work increases that parent’s chance of losing their job, thus jeopardizing their family’s ability to buy food and pay a mortgage or rent?

There’s no one-size-fits-all solution for any family here, but paying parents can provide families with more choices. Parents can then treat caring for kids as the actual job it is. It may reduce the inequality that experts are worried about as well-off parents form education “pods,” which have been called “the new form of school segregation.” And keeping people who might be infected with COVID-19 at home can save more lives.

Are there flaws in this plan? Yes, of course. Paying parents will disproportionately affect moms. I don’t mean to imply that a dad couldn’t teach kids — but given the gender pay gap, and that more women than men have lost paid jobs amid the pandemic, it seems likely that moms will be the ones to take a leave, which could hurt future career prospects unless our culture changes its thinking (more on that later).

I also don’t want to hurt public schools, which depend on enrollment for federal funding. But I don’t see why parents and teachers can’t be partners. Virtual teachers on the computer, parents at home helping to facilitate learning and keeping the coronavirus from spreading. Many kids, especially young ones, struggle with virtual learning and could use the extra support. (The number of times I found my 6-year-old in tears last spring because he couldn’t keep up with virtual first grade was hard to stomach as a parent.)

And I don’t want to assume that every parent wants to stay home with their children or become a homeschool teacher this fall. But, again, every parent should have the choice to, along with some financial support to make it happen.

“If we are asking parents to stop working, work less, work differently, and sacrifice their own careers and dreams (hopefully temporarily) so that they can raise and educate the children we all rely on for the future of our country and planet, our nation should pay them,” wrote Shayla R. Griffin, a doctor and social worker, in Medium. In Slate, Rebecca Onion detailed the current government stimulus plans and how those affect families, and argued that parents should be paid to be full-time caregivers: “The government could ease this fall’s child care crisis and fight COVID with one simple trick.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2020 7:48 PM

Surely, some will begin politicizing the idea of parents getting paid to teach and care for children. But both sides of the aisle should be able to come together here. “This idea is one that should appeal to both the progressives among us as well as conservatives who care about ‘family values.’ After all, what is more important in this time of crisis than taking care of our children?” Griffin wrote in Medium.

In the short term, paying parents to care for children can keep families afloat amid the pandemic’s shaky economy. In the long term, it places a value on caregiving in America, which is woefully behind other rich, industrialized nations. Paying parents could lead to a massive cultural shift, in a country where polling shows widespread support for paid family and medical leave. What if parents could simply look at teaching kids as a “sabbatical” during surreal times, and not be stigmatized when searching for “traditional” work again?

Until we pay parents for caregiving, that mind shift will never happen. “In a capitalist society (or perhaps in any modern society where things and people are bought and sold for money), if work is not paid for, not given a monetary value, it is considered valueless,” wrote Howard Zinn in his bestselling book, A People’s History of the United States, which was first published in 1980. “Women doing housework” — which has historically included childcare — “were people outside of the modern economic system, where they were like serfs or peasants,” Margaret Benston wrote in The Political Economy of Women’s Liberation in 1969.

We’ve seen, especially in recent months, the massive power the public wields when we come together to protest, call our politicians and use our money to support (or boycott) products. There’s no reason this energy couldn’t also be harnessed to fight for families.

What’s the alternative? Hopefully it’s not to shrug, accept the status quo and say, “It is what it is.”

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 7:35 PM

How about just taking 20K off the property tax bill?

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 7:38 PM

If people get money for teaching their own kids, childless people should pay LESS tax.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 7:38 PM

You knew having children was a nightmare. Take care of your spawn and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 7:42 PM

Sure. Let's also pay parents to babysit their children.

Schools and their costs are fixed costs - like property, plants, and equipment - in factories. Teachers are also a fixed cost that do not vary whether your kids are sitting in a room or not.

Now, if you want to fire all the teachers, that's a separate discussion. However, if people want the schools and infrastructure to exist at some point in the future, then it needs to continue to be funded whether children are sitting in classrooms or not.

The comical lack of understanding about basic issues around fixed costs, variable costs, sunk costs, and startup costs is why we cannot have any coherent discussions about income inequality or anything remotely related to the economy. Guns and butter people. Guns and butter.

This is the silliest things I've ever heard - DEMANDING to be paid to educate your own children.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 7:46 PM

Exactly, R4!

Nobody forced these stinking breeders to have kids.

And now that they actually have to be RESPONSIBLE for these crotch spawn, they expect the rest of us to pay for it?

FUCK. THAT.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 7:47 PM

I do think there should be compensation and incentives, especially for the stunning Spring and Fall periods we're having, but I draw the line past what I'd give someone who would have a child out of their autonomous choice.

That is, I don't see it as a paid position. When you have a child, you're not enrolled as a public birthing servant. By and large, you stepped into that right on your own. Not entirely, but enough that you could have just said 'no' to people asking you 'do you have a kid yet'.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 7:49 PM

Too many upper middle class suburban mommies pump out four kids in insanely rapid succession and than proceed to whine 24/7. These bitches better get to the back of the line,the resources need to first go to the most desperate Americans. Yoga mommy can handle a year or two of legit work.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 8:10 PM

Breathtaking sense of entitlement: "PAY ME to ensure that my child receives a modicum of education during this short term crisis and can grow up and eventually contribute SOMETHING to the Social Security that I will eventually need to live off of!"

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 8:38 PM

Parents already get governmental tax incentives for crapping out spawn. Enough is enough. In 2020, having a child is a choice, not a requirement.

It’s time we start rewarding childless adults who made the responsible decision not to add to the overpopulation problem.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 8:47 PM

And they also got three times the amount of stimulus money than people without kids, R10.

They are raking in the bucks, and they want more.

All for laying on their backs and shitting out some brats.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 9:02 PM

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2020 4:40 AM

Is this from the mommy needs wine bunch? I seriously cannot stand that crowd. They think it's cute to admit you had to become an alcoholic to be able to tolerate their own life choices.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2020 4:48 AM

Do parents get paid for bringing cupcakes, volunteering to help with field trips or special occasions, going to parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings, or helping kids with their homework in their free time?

No, it's just shit they do for free, because here they've gone and bred kids, and getting them to come out well-educated and functional takes parental involvement.

You bred the little monsters, you deal with them, and tough shit if you want other people or society or the government to take care of all your child-related problems for you. Those other people have already set up a free public school system for you and paid for it out of their tax dollars whether they have children or not, and the pandemic that is causing this problem has hurt everyone. If you're dealing with the horrors of having to have your own children at home, other people are dealing with sick relatives or lost jobs or crashing investments or quarantines or hurricaines or wildfires, so no. Unhappy parents are not society's first priority.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2020 4:57 AM

Yahoo is practically a fake news site. They will post anything on their site. It's a complete joke

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2020 5:47 AM

I couldn't bear to read all of that shit--could someone tell me if she proposes a reversal when kids go back to school? In other words, does she advocate paying teachers more for all of the PARENTING that they have to do? Because we should, big time.

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2020 6:41 PM

IDIOTS. COVIDIOTS.

There should be money for POOR KIDS who live in shitty homes with low or no tech. Money and food, so they can get through this. How is it even possible for poor working parents? The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2020 7:46 PM

AND WHO ARE THE ANCIENT DL ELDERGAYS WHO EVEN LOOK AT YAHOO????????

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2020 7:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!