Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)

I actually saw this disorder mentioned in a news article and it appears to be a clinical diagnosis for children being brats. Symptoms include angry and irritable mood, often and easily loses temper, often argues with adults or people in authority, and many behaviors that I have seen in children, both when i was younger and as an adult - and yet these children were presumably never labelled as having ODD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 10:01 PM

I'd never heard of it until reading a diagnosis of Trump's personality. I've come to the conclusion that most of his diehard supporters and the anti-maskers all suffer from this too.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 6:43 PM

Sounds like my niece. She's always throwing things around and yelling when she doesn't get her way. Her father thinks it's funny because she's two years old, but wait till she's older and it's not funny anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 6:46 PM

Most two-year olds outgrow it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 6:47 PM

I had friends whose son was diagnosed with this. He seemed like a garden variety brat but they were afraid of him by the time he started elementary school. I got the feeling the diagnosis made them feel like it was beyond their control/not their fault but if you’re afraid of a six year old, there is something wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 6:58 PM

This describes Trumpers and Q-Anon idiots to a tee.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 7:20 PM

I’m a teacher and unfortunately this is a real diagnosis. My coworkers and I call it B-A-D, not ODD. Usually it means the parents let the kid do whatever they wanted from a young age and now they don’t like to hear the word “no”.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 7:38 PM

R4 that doesn't sound like O.D.D. but more like sociopathy. Kids with ODD are just wilful brats bit if the parents are afraid of him that's a whole other game.

I saw a documentary once about some kid who was terrorizing his family from a young age. They had to hide knives and keep their rooms locked at night. He threatened to rape his sister when he was about 6. At 10 he was institutionalized. Born sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 8:16 PM

It’s a wonderful diagnosis because it gives people a pass for their shitty parenting.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 8:24 PM

R7 the diagnosis of anti social personality disorder/psychopathy can not be made until after the age 18.

But many of those with ODD do go on to be diagnosed with ASPD.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 8:28 PM

In my day this was easily cured with a slap up the head.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 8:46 PM

That's nice R9 but the kid's behavior was so disturbing they locked him away. Wish I could remember the name of that or where I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 8:49 PM

[R9] While I’m sure that’s the case sometimes, children who have Conduct Disorder are more likely to have Antisocial Personality Disorder as adults.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 8:49 PM

This is a nice companion piece to the recent “Do You Regret Not Having Children” thread.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 10:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!