Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don’t fit in anywhere anymore

My liberal friends are insane, ready to get offended constantly and have lost all sense of humor. The conservatives are horrible low-key racists, always ready to go off on a conspiracy tangent and support Trump. What do I do?

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 10:27 AM

Transition?

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 6:01 PM

Fuck off and bore another website with your tedious, meandering thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 6:02 PM

Just detach from politics for the moment and give yourself a mental break, OP.

It's poisonous on both sides right now anyway.

Get Amazon Prime and watch old shows, especially cozy mystery shows like Sherlock Holmes and Hetty Wainthrop and Midsomer Murders.

Take yourself out of the shitshow for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 6:10 PM

Apparently, being offended by things is just as bad as being a racist. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 6:13 PM

As a wise DLer said elsewhere, vote for Biden then kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 6:13 PM

Seriously though OP, don’t kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 6:14 PM

Why are politics so important in your friend relationships?

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 6:24 PM

Don't kill yourself until after you've voted for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 6:25 PM

r7, politics are everywhere now, it really is different than yesteryear. We are so purposely divided. We need to find common ground, like maybe with campaign finance reform. Unfortunately I think the Fox "News" views are too brainwashed at this point to think for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 6:55 PM

R3 is literally a "BOTH SIDES!!!" TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 6:56 PM

Not R1, but where I live it is virtually impossible to have a conversation about any topic that doesn't quickly devolve into politics. Even if you try to steer it back away. Even if you agree with everything and then try to smoothly switch to another topic.

Some of you bitches no doubt live for it, but I think there's much more to life and I miss the days when conversations could wander freely without ending up always talking about Trump. I'd really love to think about something else for ten fuckin' minutes, but people are just determined to plop his big orange ass in the middle of everything. I'm not saying we shouldn't ever talk politics, I'm just saying people are becoming very rigid and boring, and conversations are becoming depressing.

You know how when you talk to a Jesus freak they can't go three sentences without mentioning God? Or when you talk to an old fart, all they can discuss is their medical problems? Like that.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 7:02 PM

Learn to play a musical instrument, OP, and do that.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 7:10 PM

Stick with DL. We'll always love you as much as we love ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 7:25 PM

[quote] It's poisonous on both sides right now anyway.

Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 7:28 PM

Get a totally new hobby

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2020 7:30 PM

R14 being a perfect of example of OP’s concerns

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2020 7:30 PM

Certainly, r14 is a horse's ass. And in real life, it's probably best to avoid r14.

But no one is making OP engage in politics with people who insist that everything is "my side" or "the wrong side". If OP's friends only want to talk politics, then OP needs to get new friends. Or OP needs to learn to change the subject.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote] [R14] being a perfect of example of OP’s concerns

R3's both-siderism is intolerable. Pretending anything the Democrats do or say is anywhere near the level of Republicans is bullshit and should be called out.

If OP wants to talk about something that has nothing to do with politics, it is easy to do. Starting a thread ABOUT politics is not the way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2020 7:37 PM

Try heroin. You’ll lose all your friends and interest in life. It sounds like you could use that.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2020 7:40 PM

I don't know if this will help, but it can't hurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 7:46 PM

Agree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2020 8:43 PM

Don't discuss politics or music. Only talk about recipes.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2020 7:09 AM

[quote]Pretending anything the Democrats do or say is anywhere near the level of Republicans is bullshit and should be called out.

R18 is an alumnus from the Deplorable School of They're Racist/Bigots/Whatever, but They're OUR Racist/Bigots/Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2020 7:13 AM

Republicans don't make any sense when it comes down to it because we are social animals and espousing selfishness does not really hold water.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2020 7:20 AM

Joe Biden could call Kamala Harris the n-word to her face and rape her in public and still be better than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2020 7:38 AM

OP, I understand. My neighborhood friends used to be a nice group to hang out with. We talked about various interests and laughed a lot.

Now, every fucking conversation has to include an agenda. First, they assume I agree with all their conservative bullshit. When they realize my beliefs differ, I'm either frozen out or they constantly bring up shit trying to convert me.

I didn't realize this area was so conservative until Trump was elected.

On the other hand, I feel as though I have to carefully watch my words with liberal friends, but that is mostly the trans activism topics. They will freak the fuck out if I suggest scientists be allowed to study the effects of hormone therapy on preteens. You know, because I'm literally killing children.

However the liberals aren't assholes, and they wear masks.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2020 7:49 AM

[quote] [R18] is an alumnus from the Deplorable School of They're Racist/Bigots/Whatever, but They're OUR Racist/Bigots/Whatever.

Says the Queen of Bothsiderism.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2020 11:55 AM

Op, I’m with you. When forced to discuss politics, I try to find points where I can agree with the other person. So I’m able to be friendly with the BLM hippie anti-vaxxer vegan and the Trump-voting grandma. There’s always a way to agree and step around things.

I have no idea how being gracious and neutral is an unpardonable sin, but that’s the way extremists think. If they can’t argue with you and they can’t recruit you, it infuriates them.

by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2020 12:11 PM

Not sure anti-racism equates to being a hippie

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2020 12:15 PM

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right .... Here I am

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2020 12:22 PM

I agree and this thread demonstrates your concern. As soon as you posted you are attacked. Nothing wrong with what you said. Must we all be in lock step with every thought expressed by "our side?"

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2020 12:29 PM

Both the left and the right lack tolerance for people who disagree with them. But at this current moment in time, I’d rather side with the left. The right brought us Trump, which is unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2020 12:37 PM

It’s you OP, your problem.

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2020 12:42 PM

[quote]Don’t fit in anywhere anymore

Have you thought about a diet?

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2020 12:45 PM

Just be yourself. I have always valued my uniqueness.

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2020 12:46 PM

I feel exactly the same way, OP. It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2020 1:14 PM

You still fit in at the DL, hon!

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2020 1:41 PM

I've found myself distancing from lots of people in my life.

Especially people like some in this thread, who view every conversation as an opportunity for a struggle session/ideological purity test.

They won't miss me, and I won't miss them. They need to find friends who are willing and eager to demonstrate their liberal bona fides at least once every 5 minutes, regardless of the actual topic of conversation. It ain't me, babe.

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2020 2:10 PM

Is it really the Rep and Dem parties as we knew them? I'd say it's the Trump Party. Some very establishment Republicans I know (friends of the Bushes, for example) despise Trump and are voting for Biden. I don't know what I'd call the Democratic party right now, but I'ma life-long Dem and kinda hate them right now.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2020 3:34 PM

R39, me too. Of course there are some who would call us Boris or Sure Jan, but it’s true. I’ve never cast a vote for a Republican, I vote in every single election from city council upward, I’m liberal, etc. But it’s not enough, apparently.

*shrugs*

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2020 5:21 PM

Look for tolerant people, open-minded people of any political affiliation. Look for people who laugh and tell jokes. If anyone starts up with telling me I can't use certain words, or certain jokes are dangerous to tell- I'm done. I didn't sign up to live in a Puritan colony and you can't force me.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2020 5:26 PM

This is why they used to have a rule that you don't discuss politics or religion in polite society.

Some of the nicest people I know have views that are radically different from mine, while some of the most abusive pricks to ever befoul my life have been 100% in line with me in terms of beliefs. I recommend you just avoid getting pulled into anybody else's negativity. Everybody's on edge these days. But this too shall pass.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2020 5:35 PM

I'm in a similar position. I'm a lifelong left-leaning guy, never voted conservative or right-wing, but I feel completely out of tune with the 'woke' strain of leftism. And the more I observe the current developments, the more I feel disgusted about it. 'Wokism' is a cynical and toxic ideology that is authoritarian, it is corroding social cohesion, it is reducing people to a few narrow aspects of their identity, it indoctrinates people into a simplistic black & white worldview, it radicalizes people into villifying any form of dissent, it is unscientific (i.e. not evidence-based), not falsifiable, and based on very dubious scholarship. Ultimately, no real social justice can come from it, since there is nothing healing about it, it can only lead people to become more and more unhappy by perceiving the world only in terms of power asymmetries and victim hierarchies.

The right, of course, continues to consist of hateful, selfish, and destructive assholes... No love there either.

Here's what I do: I bide my time, keep quiet, and avoid discussing politics and social justice publicly, while waiting for the inevitable, self-inflicted dismantling of the 'woke' crowd who are so eager to eat their own in their purity spirals. At the same time, I quietly get in contact with like-minded, old-school liberal friends who are also dismayed about the current state, I read about this ideology in order to better understand how it works and how it deflects criticism, and I educate myself in alternative perspectives on social justice and left-wing liberalism. In the end, I expect there to be a backlash of some sort, and the left will have to offer sensible, fact-based, and coherent counter-narratives then.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2020 5:49 PM

[quote]impossible to have a conversation about any topic that doesn't quickly devolve into politics.

Try harder? If you have nothing to talk about but politics and news, maybe you are the boring one.

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2020 6:02 PM

Then lose some weight honey.

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2020 6:03 PM

I'm in the same boat OP. Of course I am trying to limit contact with people who mention politics. I just change the topic or ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2020 6:05 PM

THE 👏 PROBLEM👏 IS 👏YOU👏 OP👏. You're fat and deplorable and obviously suffer some degree of autism or social impairment. How 'bout you go work on you, and do you better from now on?

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2020 6:08 PM

Great post, r43.

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2020 6:18 PM

As someone who has never fitted in anywhere, conventional or not, I just read this post in total bemusement.

Like, this is a new emotion for some people? You mean to tell me that, there are, right now in existence, folks who spend the majority of their life actually relating to others around them, feeling like they comfortably fit in their social milieu, and therefore go into shock when this is suddenly no longer the case?? You mean to say, some of you have, in the last decade enjoyed the company of a group of real friends & a family circle who you share mutual respect with??? Not everyone here spends every night of the week alone with pills, vodka, boxsets, and their pet dog????This is a legit, real thing??????

Guess it’s back to Cunt Corner by myself again, then....

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2020 8:06 PM

The OP is the racist. All you have to do is look at his IP addy and find his posts.

Why don't you fuck yourself OP? No one else will

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2020 8:16 PM

His what? What the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2020 8:18 PM

[quote]The conservatives are horrible low-key racists

If you are a worse-than-low-key racist, what do you call that, a high-key racist?

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2020 8:18 PM

R50 is a racist look at her IP addy and find her posts

by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2020 8:20 PM

Suicide is always an option, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2020 8:37 PM

R39, r40, and r43 are entirely full of shit. There is no purity test to be a Dem. Dems allow for a broad array of opinions. A party that allows for an AOC and a Biden is very different from a party that insists you vote in lockstep with Trump or get called a RINO and tossed out. Ask Paul Ryan, Justin Amash, et al.. This is just another version of bothsiderism.

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2020 9:50 PM

Looks like a few people failed your ideological purity screening, R55! "Bothsiderism?" Why, that's DoublePlusUngood!

by Anonymousreply 56August 12, 2020 10:13 PM

You're full of shit and part of the problem, R55. Far left "liberals" allow NO deviation from their strict moral standards.

Remember when David Hogg tweeted that Lincoln was a good outside and he was immediately piled on because he had dared to praise a white guy, a Republican and apparently, according to one commenter, a "colonial settler" from long ago?

"This hurts to read...be a better accomplice, pls." Then he had to apologize and say "Lincoln was not a really good president" so he wouldn't be cancelled?

Wasn't that just so progressive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 12, 2020 10:28 PM

What exactly is this business with the IP address and looking someone's posts up? What does anonymous mean here, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 58August 12, 2020 11:03 PM

DataLounge's administrator's may be able to associate an IP address to a post, but a regular poster cannot.

"Anonymous" on DL means that a real human is not capable of being associated to that human's posts on DL. It's very likely that most DLers are not anonymous, at least to DL's administrators. But it is significantly more difficult for anyone else to associate DL posts to a real person, except where that person has provided other identifying information (e.g., "my name is John Smith and I live in THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD - NYC!!!!!")

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2020 11:23 PM

Well, thanks, R59, that makes me feel, uh, better ....

by Anonymousreply 60August 12, 2020 11:25 PM

[R43] That was a great post. You all are some thoughtful bitches.

by Anonymousreply 61August 13, 2020 12:33 AM

The problem is that those who describe themselves erroneously as "liberals" or "progressives" dominate social media because they have nothing better to do, so it *seems* like they're omnipresent and directing the discourse with their infantilism and stupidity, but it's really a sort of foucauldian panopticon effect -- you've let them into your head, which is as terrible mistake.

by Anonymousreply 62August 13, 2020 2:28 AM

R62 You realize you have to summarize what a Foucauldian panopticon effect is now. No, I will not Google it.

by Anonymousreply 63August 13, 2020 2:37 AM

Lazy bitch:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 13, 2020 2:46 AM

Here is your anthem, OP:

Magazine Shot by Both Sides (Devoto-Shelley)

This and that, they must be the same What is legal is just what's real What I'm given to understand Is exactly what I steal I wormed my way into the heart of the crowd I wormed my way into the heart of the crowd I was shocked to find what was allowed I didn't lose myself in the crowd

Shot by both sides On the run to the outside of everything Shot by both sides They must have come to a secret understanding

New offenses always in my nerves They're taking my time by force They all sound the same when they scream As a matter of course I wormed my way into the heart of the crowd I wormed my way into the heart of the crowd I was shocked to find what was allowed I didn't lose myself in the crowd

Shot by both sides On the run to the outside of everything Shot by both sides They must have come to a secret understanding

Why are you so edgy Kid? Asks the man with the voice One thing follows another You live and learn, you have no choice I wormed my way into the heart of the crowd I wormed my way into the heart of the crowd I was shocked to find what was allowed I didn't lose myself in the crowd I didn't lose myself to the crowd I didn't lose myself to the crowd I was shocked to find what was allowed I didn't lose myself in the crowd But I wormed my way...

Shot by both sides I don't ask who's doing the shooting Shot by both sides We must have come to a secret understanding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 13, 2020 2:46 AM

You need to decide which bothers you most, a lack of sense of humor or racism.

It’s the ultimate no brainer

by Anonymousreply 66August 13, 2020 2:49 AM

Do not discuss politics or religion.

by Anonymousreply 67August 13, 2020 3:03 AM

Go to the island of misfit toys

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2020 9:27 AM

Vote for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2020 9:49 AM

OP : Watch ' Schitt's Creek '. Emigrate to Canada. Buy a cottage in Muskoka. Befriend the locals. Somehow invite Dan Levy for a long week-end. Fly me over. Be our witness on the big day. Life Goals.

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2020 10:06 AM

Why, you join the DataLounge!

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 10:16 AM

Dear OP, if you can't find common ground with any side you picked your side and that's Trump, because apparently nothing he has done makes you side with those darn angry at everything Liberals.

Which makes you a troll.

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 10:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!