Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shoney's Thanksgiving Dinner

Y'all join me for Shoney's Thanksgiving Dinner. In years past, one of the delicacies they've had on the menu is "parts of celery."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2020 7:34 PM

Getting a drive-in Shoney's Thanksgiving dinner sounds like a dream come true! Extra Snowflake Potatoes, please!

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 3:43 PM

Which parts?

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 3:44 PM

"Extra Snowflake Potatoes, please!"

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 3:47 PM

I don't like the sound of Grecian Bread for Thanksgiving. Sounds far-un to me.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 3:55 PM

I'd rather have a steak dinner at Bonanza. Sirloin and all the salad I can eat for $9.98!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 3:59 PM

Those potatoes seem too sensitive to live.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 4:51 PM

Shoney's is what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 4:55 PM

Wow...I remember eating at Bonanza (in the 70's) growing up in Colorado...they're probably not around anymore

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 4:58 PM

If you're from MA, NH, or southern ME you probably remember Yoken's. But I don't remember broiled...whale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 5:01 PM

I hope the parts of celery include the leaves. I like to use it to brush after a big meal like that!

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 5:04 PM

FAT WHORES REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 5:06 PM

Bonanza combined with rival chain Ponderosa and still exists in the heart of deplorable country (Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc.). Rustler and York Steak House are gone though. Sizzler retreated back to the West Coast. Steak and Ale was a cut above them all, and was the fanciest steakhouse in many a one horse town.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 5:11 PM

Ponderosa gave me the shits.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 5:13 PM

R11, why would fat whore rejoice. - it's just a restaurant from the past...

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 5:16 PM

I remember eating with my parents at a Ponderosa (I think, one of those steak restaurants) when I was an incoming freshman at an Ivy League university. There were none where we lived and the meal was pretty good. I came back to the dorm and told some of the guys we went there and they were so snobby about it. It was an introduction to that Ivy snob mentality I never forgot.

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2020 5:21 PM

I think there is one York Steak House still in business in Columbus, Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2020 5:24 PM

I like my Tom’s young.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2020 5:25 PM

The only Ponderosa I want to go to involves Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe running a train on Ben Cartwright.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote]If you're from MA, NH, or southern ME you probably remember Yoken's. But I don't remember broiled...whale.

I remember the signs with the whale from when I was a child traveling through that area. "Thar she blows!" I found them very amusing.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2020 5:37 PM

If the Shoney's Thanksgiving meal was too pricey at $2.15 apiece, you could get a roast turkey dinner at Woolworth's for 95 cents, if your family didn't mind having their holiday dinner at a lunch counter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 5:46 PM

That's like a scene out of a southern novel. Geraldine Page could play the mother.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2020 6:01 PM

I remember the older Black ladies in the grey starched uniforms with white aprons and little caps walking among the tables of Morrison's Cafeteria asking "Mo tea?" Mo tea?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2020 6:24 PM

I was poor white trash in the rust belt, and I don't think we ever had Shoney's in that area.

The only American food buffet I can remember as a kid/teenager was Ponderosa, and maybe Hoss's (which was more salad but would have a few food items on it.)

I noticed once I was off to college that Chinese buffets seemed to grow in popularity.....must be that immigrant families were moving to the area and opening more and more.

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2020 6:29 PM

My grandmother used to take us to the Heritage Cafeteria in Springfield,MO. Shortly before it closed for good my sister took my mom for old times sake. She said it was the worst meal she ever had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2020 6:29 PM

I recommend the Blue Plate #2. (at 1:16)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2020 6:34 PM

What exactly is a combination salad? I mean what's in one?

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2020 6:41 PM

As a kid, my favorite thing in the world was to go to Sizzler and get the chopped steak, steak fries and the ever-present Texas toast, of course. The salad that I'd construct at the salad bar had roughly equal parts lettuce and bacon bits.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2020 6:50 PM

Anyone else remember Quincy's? They were famous for their--and I quote--"big, fat yeast rolls." My father hated eating out when we were growing up, but we'd go to Quincy's on my parents' anniversary. The Friday night we'd normally go to celebrate inevitably coincided with a dinner seminar by a local chiropractor, who'd be shilling his practice on the other side of the folding partition wall. Even as a child, it became a running joke about the anniversary dinner at Quincy's, with the loud-mouthed quack talking on a hot mic a few yards away. They did have a great salad bar, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2020 6:56 PM

R28 Did Jack Klugman come in afterwards and perform an autopsy to see what food killed you?

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2020 6:59 PM

Is young Tom Turkey available à la carte?

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2020 7:07 PM

10 cents extra for Strawberry Pie? Do we look like the Rockefellers?

by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2020 7:09 PM

I spent a summer in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, and I dated a young hottie who ran a car wash. Every week he would take me to Shoney's for dinner, and then we'd go to his sister's house where we would fuck like mad men. So seeing that Shoney's menu gave me a hard-on.

by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2020 7:19 PM

I remember going to Shoney's as a little kid with my grandparents. It had Big Boy statue out front. But I don't remember it being a buffet. Just regular menu service and I think I would get the Big Boy burger or something like that. It came with a little American flag on a toothpick stuck in it.

by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2020 7:25 PM

No sweet potato anything? I'll pass.

By the way, snowflake potatoes are simply mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese.

by Anonymousreply 34August 11, 2020 7:30 PM

One time, our car broke down outside a highway rest stop. I told my mom, "Look, we got stuck at Stuckey's!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 11, 2020 7:31 PM

R34 for dessert you can have fresh pumpkin or ice box cream pie. I'm partial to the ice box cream pie so if you get pumpkin we can both have half of each.

by Anonymousreply 36August 11, 2020 7:41 PM

What year is this from OP? That's a hell of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2020 8:28 PM

"What exactly is a combination salad?"

Combination lettuce; combination tomato; combination cucumber; combination radish; combination onion; combination crouton.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2020 8:40 PM

R33 That wasn't Shoney's, it was Bob's Big Boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2020 9:03 PM

Shoney's had a kickass breakfast buffet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2020 9:05 PM

R39, Big Boy was a franchise chain. Shoney's was one of the franchisees. So R33 was likely correct.

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2020 9:06 PM

R40, you're correct about the breakfast buffet. And sometimes they'd serve it in the evenings as well, I believe on the weekends at certain franchises. We'd go then if my mum knew they were doing breakfast at night.

We used to sometimes go for regular dinner and get the salad/soup bar, but the last time we went for that the "soup du jour" (huge quotes) was something called "Pizza Soup"...essentially tomato soup with pepperoni in it, with cheese and bread crumbs on the side to top it off. That's when Shoney's was going downhill in the mid-90s and kind of stopped caring.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2020 12:46 AM

I remember in my 20s going to the Stoney’s Breakfast bar after late night drinking. There is nothing better. I haven’t been to the Shoney’s breakfast bar in years, but I remember it fondly and it was good.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2020 12:57 AM

Shoney's started in West Virginniny. From Wikipedia:

In 1947, Alex Schoenbaum opened the Parkette Drive-In next to his father's bowling alley in Charleston, West Virginia.[1] After meeting with Big Boy founder Bob Wian in 1951, Schoenbaum became a Big Boy franchisee on February 7, 1952, now calling his several locations the Parkette Big Boy Shoppes.[2][3] In May 1954, a public "Name the Parkette Big Boy Contest" was announced, and in June 1954 Schoenbaum's five Parkette Drive-Ins were rebranded as Shoney's.[4][5]

Shoney's (the Parkette) was originally the Big Boy franchisee for West Virginia;[6] however, Schoenbaum rapidly grew the chain through subfranchising, expanding his Big Boy territory through the southeastern United States, excluding Florida where the rights already belonged to fellow Big Boy franchisee Frisch's.

Schoenbaum's earliest subfranchisees operated under their own names. In 1955, Leonard Goldstein became a subfranchisee in Roanoke, Virginia. Originally operating as Shoney's, he eventually changed to Lendy's Big Boy after another Shoney's subfranchisee called Yoda's Big Boy opened across town. In 1956 a subfranchise was sold to the Boury brothers in northern West Virginia, who operated as Elby's.[7] Elby's, Lendy's, and Yoda's units were originally listed with Shoney's units on the back of the Shoney's menu.[8] Also in 1956, Schoenbaum sold a subfranchise to Abe Becker in Rochester, New York, for Becker's Big Boy. Two Philadelphia area subfranchises, Tunes and Arnold's, were opened during this period as well. In 1959 subfranchisee Abe Adler opened Adler's Big Boy in Lynchburg, Virginia, which was later sold to Lendy's.[9][10] Also in 1959 Shap's Big Boy was subfranchised in Chattanooga, Tennessee, later assuming the Shoney's name.[11] After this, all subfranchises went by the name Shoney's.

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2020 1:10 AM

We lived in New Orleans in the early 70s and would sometimes go to Shoney's Big Boy. My family was from Ohio so we would go to Frisch's when we visited there. Both Shoney's and Frisch's had the delicious hot fudge cake we always begged for.

Haven't thought about "Grecian Bread" in 40 years. Wasn't it just garlic French bread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2020 1:24 AM

They mean "hearts of celery." See what happens when you hire the illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2020 1:33 AM

r46 Or elect it.

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2020 1:57 AM

Honey, that Shoney’s breakfast buffet was the real deal. Everything was great, including biscuits and (sausage) gravy.

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2020 2:46 AM

In the NorthEast, the Big Boy franchise was Elby's.

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2020 2:54 AM

[quote]What year is this from OP? That's a hell of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2020 1:15 PM

Adjusted for inflation, $11.25.

I don't really eat at these types of restaurants. Is that considered a good deal these days? I know it's insanely cheap for a more upmarket place.

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2020 1:32 PM

[quote]Adjusted for inflation, $11.25.

That's about right for a place like Shoney's for a holiday meal. Somewhere like Cracker Barrell would run $10-15.

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2020 1:38 PM

What was the name of the Boston-area chain in the 70s and around then? It was similar to Friendly's. Colonial wallpaper, etc. Lime rickeys. I want to say "Bennigans" but that isn't the name.

by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2020 1:40 PM

Deplorables rutting at the trough.

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2020 2:20 PM

[quote]What was the name of the Boston-area chain in the 70s and around then? It was similar to Friendly's. Colonial wallpaper, etc.

The Ground Round? Ninety-Nine Restaurant & Pub?

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2020 4:30 PM

OMG! Reading this thread made me miss my favorite all YouCan eat buffet.

by Anonymousreply 56August 12, 2020 4:31 PM

R53 Remember this bad boy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 12, 2020 5:30 PM

The AYCE buffets in my town weren't Shoney's. They were Ryan's and Golden Corral. I think the Western Sizzlin switched over to buffet too. These places were big with the after church on Sundays crowd. I don't think any are left in business though.

by Anonymousreply 58August 12, 2020 5:33 PM

The first Monte Cristo sandwich I ever had was at the Blue Bayou restaurant in Disneyland at least 40 years ago. It's been my favorite sandwich ever since.

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2020 6:30 PM

[quote]What was the name of the Boston-area chain in the 70s and around then? It was similar to Friendly's. Colonial wallpaper, etc.

Brigham's? Pewter Pot?

by Anonymousreply 60August 12, 2020 7:30 PM

Pewter Pot was before my time, but were they related to Hearth and Kettle in some way? I’ve seen pictures of a Pewter Pot interior and they seemed interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2020 8:14 PM

Brigham's, r59. I think I remember one near Boston Common, on Tremont.

by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2020 8:20 PM

Shoney's gave up the Big Boy franchise after they entered Frisch's territory but they basically kept the Big Boy menu. For awhile they used "Town & Country" for their restaurants in the Big Boy territories of other chains. By the time I lived in their territory (post-Big Boy), they were pretty awful and they were retreating from a major expansion that had taken them beyond the Southeast. I can't imagine having Thnakgiving dinner at one of their places.

by Anonymousreply 63August 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Freshtastic

by Anonymousreply 64August 12, 2020 11:57 PM

BRIGHAM'S! Thank you, R60!

by Anonymousreply 65August 13, 2020 12:20 AM

Shoney's hot fudge cake was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2020 3:12 AM

Note to self: google "grecian bread". I'm pretty sure I know though. Love all this talking about food.

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2020 3:37 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2020 3:47 AM

In Dallas the Big Boy franchise was called Kip’s.

And yeah, the food and ice cream was great.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2020 3:51 AM

Thanksgiving is shit without fairy toast.

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2020 3:54 AM

Shoney's Breakfast Bar was always delicious. I loved the French Toast slivers, hashbrowns, muffins, scrambled eggs, and more.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 3:55 AM

Damnit you bitches...its 9pm in California, and I have the munchies and this thread is making me insanely hungry.

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 3:56 AM

[quote]Damnit you bitches...its 9pm in California, and I have the munchies and this thread is making me insanely hungry.

Eat some parts of celery.

by Anonymousreply 73August 15, 2020 4:10 AM

I LOL'd, R73.

by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2020 4:13 AM

R65 You're welcome. Brigham's still has ice cream in the supermarkets, but yeah it's gone otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 75August 15, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]Pewter Pot was before my time, but were they related to Hearth and Kettle in some way? I’ve seen pictures of a Pewter Pot interior and they seemed interchangeable.

R61 Sorry, I've never heard of Hearth and Kettle.

I don't know when Pewter Pot went out of business but my friends and I used to go there in high school. Kids called it puker pot but we liked it and the food was good. There's no way I can picture kids going to any place like this now. It was kind of like a tea room atmosphere. It was also a place women went together. There were a lot of restaurants like this then, that were inexpensive but still had menus and waitresses in nice uniforms, but unlike restaurants now - it was quiet! And I never remember seeing any little kids there.

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2020 3:42 PM

From this menu, it looks like they were affiliated with Putnam Pantry - probably owned by the, Putnam Pantry is still around - it's known mainly for ice cream and candy but also has food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2020 3:45 PM

Thanks, r76/r77. I just found it; one came after the other.

[quote]Founder VJ Catania transformed a Pewter Pot Muffin House (his previous restaurant concept) into the first Hearth ‘n Kettle. Five more Hearth ’n Kettles followed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2020 4:06 PM

r66=Erna

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2020 7:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!