Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Own A Gun

If so, is it for protection or some other purpose?

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2020 11:35 AM

No, don't own a gun and don't want to. I live in a suburb of a large city, with a police station three minutes from where I live. That and my security system give me all the protection I need.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 12:49 PM

Several, all antiques except for one rifle.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 12:52 PM

I've been required to learn to shoot and carry a gun due to my work. So I'm familiar with smaller handguns such as a 9mm Baretta, a Sig Sauer, Glock and a Galili. Would NEVER have one in the house or conceal carry one as I'd be afraid I'd finally lose my patient with the smartphone drones and shoot those annoying fucks who suddenly stop dead in front of me cause they need to do something on their phones right this fucking nanosecond.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 1:00 PM

^^^ patience, not patient ^^^

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 1:00 PM

Yes, one. It was last fired, according to legend, during the War of 1812.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 1:11 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 1:17 PM

Yes, I have several, both sidearms and shotguns. My grandfather was a cop and taught me to shoot when I could hold a gun. I would never hunt, but take them to the range often. I keep them because I like them, and for protection.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 2:05 PM

Yes -- I live in the midst of a hotbed of deplorables, and they all have plenty of firearms that they routinely shoot off just for fun.

So I have two handguns, one in my living room and one next to my bed. Both are small enough for concealed carry if necessary. I'm also considering a shotgun for the same reason. With a shotgun, your aim can be shitty and you'll still hit the asshole.

With the freaks around here, ya never know.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 3:56 PM

R8 What kind of a gun would you recommend for a person who HATES guns, but is actively considering getting one due to the threat of societal collapse?

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 4:04 PM

Not r8, but I would recommend a revolver as opposed to a semi automatic. There's less moving parts, much safer to handle.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 4:30 PM

I'm a guy, and I'm extremely unlikely to be raped. So what would I be protecting? It's even more unlikely someone's going to burst in and shoot me.

I'd much rather have all my shit stolen than live with the guilt I ended someone's life. So no, I don't have one.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 4:34 PM

Sylvia, my dear, I have always appreciated you and your posts because I'm originally from PA Dutch country. So I will endeavor to answer your question.

How tall/big are you? Do you have a lot of upper body strength? Do you want a gun you can carry in your pocket? A gun you can holster on your belt? A "long gun," such as a shotgun or a rifle that can double as a hunting gun if (after the apocalypse) you must kill your own food? How many rounds do you want to be able to shoot before you have to reload? As you can tell, there are a lot of things to take into consideration.

If you want something you can carry as a concealed weapon (and BTW, PA is the easiest state I know in which to get a concealed carry permit), I would recommend a 9mm pistol. I am really not comfortable carrying one as a concealed weapon - too big for me to carry in my waistband -- but chances are good you're bigger than I am unless you're under 5'5". A pistol generally holds 7-9 rounds before you have to reload. Get two or three additional cartridges and keep them loaded, and you'll be prepared to defend yourself in your home.

My suggestion is, find a massive hunting/fishing store like Cabela's and tell them what you're looking for and they'll take care of you. But be prepared to shell out some $$. A low-end handgun will cost you about $400.

Plus, be prepared to spend a bit of time at a rifle range to get comfortable with whatever gun you buy. If you can find a gun safety class and have the $, take it.

Good luck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 4:38 PM

Thank you, R8.

I can't imagine walking around with a gun, I think I just want one for property defense and/or hunting. I'm about average height 5'10" ish and average upper-body strength for a middle-aged man who hates weight training. My partner is over 6ft and stronger than I am. He's also more familiar with guns but hasn't ever actually purchased one, just used his father's when he was taken along hunting as a kid in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 4:54 PM

Yep! I have a pump-action 12 gauge shotgun and my husband has an Italian pistol he inherited from his sister. We live in the woods and somewhat isolated. The local sheriff told me that if I shot someone outside, to drag them into the house. I'm especially happy to have them these days. "Click, click!" "Identify!"

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 4:56 PM

Shotguns. Plural. Mount one over each entrance.

A small revolver you can mount magnetically over your bed.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 2:48 AM

So how much is the hassle of even buying a gun these days?

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 6:11 AM

38 Smith and Wesson. It sleeps under my pillow.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 7:37 AM

No..don't have one and don't intend to have one

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2020 7:42 AM

Guns should be eradicated.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2020 7:48 AM

The NRA is looking to be dismantled, see lawsuit by New York Attorney General Letitia James. What is your question, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2020 7:52 AM

We live on a farm, so we have guns. We need them for coyotes and for emergency put down of suffering livestock. Never had guns when we lived in the suburbs. I have to admit, I feel safer with them in the house.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2020 7:59 AM

I don’t understand how anyone feels saver owning a fire arm. If anything it is more dangerous.....people are less likely to shoot when they see you are armed.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2020 8:04 AM

Not less likely

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2020 8:05 AM

I hear ya, r15. I had one 12G already and bought a second one earlier this year. However, mine are placed where they are not on display but easily accessible from the most used parts of the house. I also have a CC and keep a Glock I carry in the car.

I bought the second shotgun when the food scare began.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2020 9:22 AM

No.

I've only actually touched a gun once. A boyfriend showed me the .22 which had belonged to his father. All I remember was that is was heavy.

I struggle with bipolar and suicidal thoughts and would not want access to a gun ... for my own sake.

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2020 9:35 AM

I live in the burbs, which normally are very safe. But the riots and looting earlier this year spilled out of the city into the burbs. That was the first time that I felt that I needed to protect myself because the government couldn't protect me. I looked into buying a gun, but I didn't. Things have calmed down since then, so I don't think I need one now.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2020 11:27 AM

Hell yes. 2 handguns. For protection. I’ve been robbed a couple times.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2020 11:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!