Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hillside Campgrounds / Gay Camp Grounds

Any DLers ever go to Hillside or other gay camp grounds?

What are they like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2020 6:27 AM

I’ve had friends switch from Hillside to The Woods. The Woods is more camping and friendly, while Hillside is just NY queens in a rural setting. Hillside has more sec though from what I’ve heard. Depends on what you’re looking for.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 11:13 AM

Lots of old dirty people

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 11:17 AM

The only people who take their clothes off at a clothing optional place are the ugly ones

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 11:17 AM

And the fat ones R3.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 11:25 AM

I've been two Hillside four times, usually a week or two each time, so I am hardly an expert. I and the guys I went with enjoyed it. You can make it what you wish, from an outdoor, booze and drug fueled bathhouse or a quiet place to chill and be with nature. There is plenty of space to wander around and not get bored. I found the guys tended to be friendly and little attitude. The weekends are much busier and louder, of course. The guys tend to be hotter on the weekends. They have only a few cabins. Though I liked it, I found it all too much work and too long a drive from NYC. There is a nice hotel about 2 miles away by the interstate that some people stay at and visit Hillside for the day. Also, that area of PA is quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 11:43 AM

The Woods is full of Chelsea snap queens, DC "power" gays and Philly clique-holes all drunk on cheap vanilla vodka 24/7. It's all drama, Drama, DRAMA!! Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 12:09 PM

Drugs, drinks, and fucking, non?

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 12:11 PM

Been to both Hillside and The Woods -- they're both pretty much gay bars outside. Accommodations vary -- you can get a a cabin, tow or drive an RV, or sleep in a tent on a big open field. You can do whatever you want to do while there -- drink by the pool, hang out on the campsite, walk around naked, light hiking, troll for cock. Like every gay space there's attitude but also friendliness if you know where to look for it. Not the greatest place for a single person unless you're just looking for dick. Just about everyone that goes is coupled and generally hang out with their friends. I used to go with a couple who had a lot so it was like living in a gay trailer park. Fun but exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 12:54 PM

"Depends on what you’re looking for."

If you go to The Woods, Depends IS what you're lookin for. Tons of old polar bears and ancient leather queens (its always fun to see someone in full leather gear in a bucolic setting).

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 12:59 PM

Well duh, the millennials and zoomers can't even afford their own apartment. You think they can pay resort fees and something other than a case of yeungling?

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 1:04 PM

R6, that sounds pretty interesting - would make a good musical.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 1:51 PM

R10, a campsite at Hillside is not that expensive.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 4:41 PM

My partner went there a few time - when it's DRY and not overly hot, it's a great anything goes party.

But it's been unusually rainy there the past few years from what I've heard. That literally puts a damper on everything.

I don't like humid heat and bugs, so it's a no-go for me. My blood is apparently a delicacy for mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 5:09 PM

Sounds exactly like other gay spaces: cruises, resorts, and towns like PTowns and the two in Fire Island.

It is what you make of it and want it to be. No one is forced to do anything.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 5:44 PM

Never been, but was intrigued and couldn’t help snooping through the pics a bit. From my observations I was gratified and relieved to see more Latins at the Latin Weekend than jockstraps at e Jockstrap Contest. And the cocktail recipe posted for a “Leg Spreader” sounded like it would be horribly, horribly sweet. All that sugar no wonder most everyone there is as..... well, is that.

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2020 5:50 PM

When I was a young, broke twink, I camped outside one of those gay Russian River resorts in Guerneville. They allowed tent camping on the lawn back then.

Then the older gay manager upgraded boyfriend and I to an entire cabin for free for a whole four days! (But that's another story).

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 11:07 PM

Being on the West Coast I’ve never heard of either establishments, but from what I’ve read they sound really fun. I love to walk around naked with other naked men. I don’t care what they look like, what their size is, or what their intentions are. I love being naked around other gay naked man. So now I have a new thing to put in my bucket list! Thx DL.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 11:56 PM

How can they camp off grid?

They all have CPAP machines

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2020 11:57 PM

I live not far from Hillside so I go a couple of times each year just to hang out at the pool and interact with other gays. I don't consider it a resort or even what goes on there as camping. The sites are right on top of eachother. It's got a traveling gay gypsy caravan type look. If you're from the city and don't have a lot of money then I'm sure it's real country and nature like and an affordable gaycation. The people who work and go there are friendly. Lots of Spanish speaking gays. A lot of guys and couples have been going there for years. The age range seems to be mostly in the 40 to 60 range. As others said it can be a lot of fun and is what you make of it. The other gay campgrounds Camp Oneida is 5 miles away. The original owners lovers had a fight 30 years ago. So two gay campgrounds one small town.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2020 1:19 AM

Good movie script start, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2020 1:23 AM

Way to play coy R16, now I couldn’t care less to hear the rest of your story.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2020 6:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!