Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best espionage shows, documentaries and movies streaming?

I KNOW some of you are all over this shit. I'm dying to watch a good espionage drama series, movie or documentary. I LOVED The Americans on FX, I LOVED Deutschland 83 and Deutschland 86 on Hulu and The Mire on Netflix and Homeland on Showtime.

What should I watch next? Open to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, Showtime and most US cable channels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2020 12:19 PM

Berlin Station is excellent. It's on Amazon Prime now.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 5:29 AM

FWIW... I'm not a fan of pulpy stuff. Killing Eve is so over the top and ridiculous its critical acclaim baffles me. Though nowhere nearly as ridiculous, I found London Spy, Little Drummer Girl and The Night Manager a bit too soapy and lurid as well. Fine actors, terrible writing, questionable direction.

Another one I really enjoyed (mostly the first season) was the British series The Hour.

Obviously, I especially enjoy the Cold War stuff, but open to any period. So, what else ya got?

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 5:30 AM

Thanks, R1, didn't have that one on my radar. Adding it to my list now!

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 5:31 AM

MI-5 a/k/a Spooks is a great series with some excellent actors in the cast. Be advised, the writers weren't afraid to kill off audience favorites.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 5:33 AM

I enjoyed the Gary Oldham version of "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" as well. On Netflix or Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 5:34 AM

The Spy, starring Sacha Baron-Cohen is very well done. I'd heard of Eli Cohen before (but had thought it was pronounced ee-lie). He's legendary. Watching the series was nail biting though I already knew the finale. You get some hints of Israeli prejudices against Sephardim and how that might have motivated Cohen. Alexander Siddig is also in the cast and is pretty scary. It's on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 5:38 AM

Reilly, Ace of Spies was good, starring Sam Neill of uncertain origin (was he Russian or what?) as a British spy playing the great game. Based on a real person. Acorn TV

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 5:42 AM

My favorite in years was the miniseries The Honourable Woman with Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Babylon Berlin is a combination of a detective series and an espionage series, and is also excellent.

And I loved The Night Manager.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 5:46 AM

r8 - oh, yes, The Honorable Woman is another good one. I guess I've seen too many of them. Thanks, I'll check out Babylon Berlin. I have a feeling nothing's going quite scratch this itch until the Deutschland 89 premieres.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 6:20 AM

[italic]Spies of Warsaw[/italic] was disappointingly tepid. I finished the series because I'd read the novel by Alan Furst, but David Tennant was not convincing as a heterosexual leading man.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 6:31 AM

The International Spy Museum in Washington, DC is a garden of delights for anyone interested in real life spycraft, and their YT channel is pretty awesome, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 7:07 AM

The International Spy Museum in Washington, DC is a garden of delights for anyone interested in real life spycraft, and their YT channel is pretty awesome, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 7:07 AM

Alec Guinness in Smiley’s People and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spu is must viewing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 7:09 AM

I love this genre.

Deep State. Mark Strong is in this. he's only in the 1st season.

Condor. Max Iron is the lead, son of Jeremy Irons. Based on the novel and also there was a movie in 1975 starring Robert Redford.

Homeland

I enjoyed Berlin Station too. can't believe they cancelled it!

The Little Drummer Girl, based on spy novel by John le Carré. Alexandar skarsgard is in this.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 7:42 AM

Jack Ryan on amazon prime. John Krasinski is the lead.

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2020 8:01 AM

Syriana with George Clooney

Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman ( movie also mentions 9-11).

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2020 8:22 AM

The American (George Clooney)

The Tourist (not as bad as some critics claim)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

The International (Clive Owen)

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2020 8:46 AM

Based on what you've said in R2, I'm sure it would be too silly for you, but I will always love Alias.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2020 10:51 AM

The Bureau on Amazon Prime is very good.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2020 11:03 AM

R18 Alias was great until it went off the rails with the Rimbaldi plot.

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 11:21 AM

I just finished the first season of Deep State, with Mark Strong. Didn’t realize until I checked IMDb that one of the characters is played by the actor who was Gendry on GoT.

I’ve watched and enjoyed most of the series mentioned here. Really loved Reilly Ace of Spies. I missed the first few episodes when it aired so it was extra crazy trying to figure out what was going on. Pepita Bobadilla is one of my favorite names.

The Bodyguard with Richard Madden, not really espionage but a conspiracy thriller.

Collateral with Carey Mulligan, ditto.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2020 1:25 PM

Hanna is also pretty interesting. The 2nd season just came out. Joel Kinnaman, Mireille enos, Esme Creed-miles. good cast.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2020 1:28 AM

La Femme Nikita, the french movie is also interesting. they made an American version as well starring Bridget Fonda but I prefer the french one.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2020 1:30 AM

Counterpart,starring J. K. Simmons is another series I enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2020 1:31 AM

"The Bureau" is excellent. And vaguely based on the real operations of DGSE, the French version of CIA. It is also far more believable than, say, "Homeland".

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2020 1:53 AM

Topaz by Hitchcock - This is not his very best; however, the cast includes Roscoe Lee Browne, one of my favorites. It's worth watching at least through his encounter at the hotel. I don't want to spoil the plot for you. It's available to rent streaming. I'm pretty sure I got this from the library, though, at no cost.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2020 5:15 AM

R22 - How did I not know about this? Amazon should really learn a thing or two from Netflix about PR? I always find that I'm aware of dozens of Netflix shows I haven't seen yet, but Amazon, maybe it's just one or two that seem to be part of the general consciousness. I LOVED 'The Killing' had no idea that Joel Kinnaman, and Mireille Enos were reunited for Hanna. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Thanks for all the other recommendations, guys. BTW, any documentaries or docuseries to recommend?

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2020 5:57 AM

I enjoyed THE HUNTERS and it got picked up for a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2020 6:59 AM

I third the The Bureau. Halfway through the second season and it’s even better than the first. I enjoy that it’s in french as it forces me to pay attention and not be distracted by my phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2020 7:03 AM

OP, I liked LONDON SPY.

But it sounds like you need to watch BRIDGE OF SPIES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2020 7:04 AM

OP should also keep an eye out for Benedict Cumberbatch in THE COURIER, which has been moved to October.

It’s the true story of a British industrialist going into Soviet Russia as a spy and it’s excellent. I saw it at Sundance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2020 7:39 AM

R28 / R29 - Thanks! More for the watchlist!

R30 - Yeah, London Spy was just too pulpy for me. I couldn't get past the second or third episode. I can't remember which. I guess I prefer things a little less soapy and over the top. I just found it badly written and questionably directed. Shame, as I would have LOVED to have a show in this genre featuring a gay lead that I enjoyed.

R31 - That sounds so good!

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2020 8:41 AM

A fourth for The Bureau (Le Bureau des Légendes). The most accurate depiction of Near/Middle East mentality and tribal politics by a Western series. The first three seasons are riveting. It's available for free streaming with subtitles for the French-challenged. Stock up on popcorn and have a binge.

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2020 8:55 AM

Not exactly typical espionage, but from a corporate entity, Sci Fi Orphan Black is about cloning and Tatiana Maslany acts a tour de force in the role of nearly twenty different versions of the female clones.

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2020 9:00 AM

Orphan Black had some plotting/pacing issues but her acting and the editing were seamless.

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2020 12:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!