Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did Warren Beatty‘s Career Go Right Down The Shitter?

He was the male sex symbol of a generation, made great films and then it all went downhill. ‘Town & Country’ still stands out as one of the biggest disasters in film history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 12:00 PM

Because he’s now 900 years old

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 5:12 AM

For a century or two he was hot

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 5:16 AM

Bulworth killed it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 5:26 AM

R3 really, why? Love Affair in 1994 was pretty bad. Bulworth had great reviews.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 5:28 AM

He was 61 when he filmed Bulworth. The good parts are rare after 60. He is 83 now.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 5:40 AM

Beatty was never very productive, and even in his peak years during the seventies he only did seven films. His dithering over projects only got worse as he got older, so he was never going to let himself be rediscovered by audiences. Even Redford did a Marvel movie, so it could have happened.

In comparison, his sister never really left the public eye. In Her Shoes and Bernie weren’t classics, but they were at least something (both have strangely devoted followings, which I don’t quite understand even though I like both films). And even though no one liked her on Downton Abbey, it was still a star turn on a popular show,

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 5:40 AM

Because Beatty was a far better fuck than he was an actor.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 5:41 AM

Blame her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 6:07 AM

He had a pretty damn good run especially considering he took about 10 years to shit out a film. And had total control of them and well after his box office ran out studios were still giving him carte Blanche to write/direct/star in movies well into his 60s.

Bulworth was (mostly) great but flopped. Town and Country killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 6:30 AM

Heaven can wait is in the top 10 of my all-time favorite movies

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 6:33 AM

I've seen a couple of his supposedly great films lately and I have to say that I don't think he was ever very deep. He's a superficial beauty whose time is long past. His films haven't aged well, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 7:08 AM

If he's smart he should write some kind of journal or tell-all book about everyone he fucked. It would sell like hotcakes. No one today is going through stardom banging A-listers like he did and being a male slut wouldn't get you idolised today.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 7:48 AM

I thought Ishtar was the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 7:49 AM

I just saw The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. OMG, how did he work after that? A beautiful film and he was a dead weight dragged across the screen by Vivien Leigh and Lotte Lenya.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 7:53 AM

Terrible thread with an awful, stupid premise.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 7:55 AM

Agreed R15.

Beatty grew old. He's 83 now. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 8:01 AM

OP, I think the better question is: How did Beatty's career last as long as it did?

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 8:09 AM

Five times a day is all I'll say.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 8:12 AM

Joan once said that Warren knew every button to push on a woman's body and then 'it was off to the races.' (Her quote)

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 8:27 AM

Has he ever discussed his daughter going trans?

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2020 8:29 AM

Because he aged out like that other old queen Ryan O'Neal and once this type of man can't rely on their looks anymore the jig is up.

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 8:41 AM

Mommy, how do you make a selfie with those old phones?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 8:49 AM

He did what he wanted and who he wanted. Pretty good career.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 8:52 AM

[quote]OP, I think the better question is: How did Beatty's career last as long as it did?

Exactly, R17.

, Warren Beatty, Shirley Maclaine, Annette Benning, Jane Fonda...acquired tastes I've never acquired..

Bonnie & Clyde I've no fault with but Beatty's performance was very much a lesser part of it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 8:57 AM

The age of the movie star is over. Social media and YouTube have taken over. It started with Rudolph Valentino and ended with Leonardo DiCaprio. Now mystique isn't considered valuable and you have to overshare if you want relevance and agency.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 8:58 AM

Agree with R17 and R24. Beatty's star days were far before my time, but judging from his big movies that I have actually watched - his acting is about akin to watching bargain basement, "ceiling white" paint dry. You can of course be a bad actor but still have both charm and sex appeal that translates on screen (many leading men through the decades fit this category). He was very handsome for sure but had none of the above. Literally nothing. Ryan O'Neal for instance was a lousy actor, but he was very charming. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 9:06 AM

Can't tell whether OP is deliberately trolling, as seems likely. Beatty's has had one of the great Hollywood careers of all time - he is a legend and icon through and through, and all this despite modest talents (apart from physically). Who, post-age 60 in Hollywood had the same success as when they were in their prime?

We could literally play this stupid game with anyone at any time. After "Fat Man and Little Boy" - "Why did Paul Newman's career Go Right Down the Shitter?" After "Mona Lisa Smile" - "Why did Julia Roberts' career go Right Down the Shitter?" After "Random Hearts" - "Why did Harrison Ford's Career go Right Down the Shitter?" Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 11:27 AM

I think he had a longer career than he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 11:34 AM

He had a great career. He’s old. I think many of his films didn’t age well - could happen to a lot of actors in coming years. It should be a topic.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2020 11:44 AM

I wonder if he still has that permanent erection?

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2020 11:47 AM

Very limited actor buoyed by good looks. 'Reds' was his pet project awards bonanza, but it's rarely cited these days. (Always recall reading that WB cut much of Nicholson's performance because it was too good and made WB look second-rate.) 'Dick Tracy' likewise. 'Bulworth' was actually watchable - Beatty always hired the best production talents. An interesting enough if overrated career.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 12:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!