Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, Or Something Else Entirely?

Which is best for pain AND safest to take, long-term?

Nobody really knows, do they?

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2020 6:52 AM

Aleve need only be taken every 8 hours. I don’t find it as effective as Advil for headaches. I don’t take Tylenol often. I would try all and see what works best for you.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 2:43 AM

Have you tried topical Voltaren, or its generic equivalent? (Diclofenac Sodium)

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2020 2:50 AM

Aleve is safest, but least effective.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2020 2:51 AM

Of those, Aleve is probably the safest longer-term option. That said, I can’t say it was very helpful for me. Tylenol worked pretty well for acute issues (brought down swelling on my strained knee pretty quickly), but didn’t really touch the pain. I had to overhaul my diet and exercise routine to get to a tolerable level of pain. Good luck with it, I know it’s difficult to find a good regimen.

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2020 2:52 AM

Try your best to not take NSAIDs

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2020 2:52 AM

I take one tylenol and one ibuprofen together for the worst pain. They are safe and work in different ways, so, together, they can work wonders. (Don't take aspirin and ibuprofen together, though.)

R4, Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory. That was either your body just taking care of the swelling or something else you took.

All of these options are safe when used properly, especially for short-term pain. Long-term, chronic pain seems to still mystify all of medical research.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2020 2:55 AM

Eliminate sugar and a lot of pains will subside completely.

I'm allergic to Aleve but I found it helped when I took it one time (and then my hands swelled up and that was that). Try to avoid ibuprofen as it's really, really bad on your system and stomach. Tylenol is probably the safest but do not take it if you have consumed alcohol at all that day.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2020 2:55 AM

Try eliminating the nightshade vegetables from your diet. Some find it improves their situation. I find the skins of both peppers and tomatoes to be pro-inflammatory for me.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2020 3:09 AM

ASPIRIN.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2020 3:11 AM

Hempvana platinum its 4 times stronger than hempvana reg

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2020 3:14 AM

R4, right, thanks. Was actually referring to Motrin, sorry OP.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2020 3:18 AM

It used to be Advil but then I found out I have A-Fib (it may have even contributed to it). No I use Aleve.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2020 3:21 AM

I like Aleve for my arthritis. For a bad headache, I take an Anacin with a Tylenol.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2020 3:22 AM

Natural anti-inflammatories like quercetin and turmeric are supposed to be very good.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2020 3:24 AM

I take alieve most nights to help me sleep. For anything acute, I take motrin. Tylenol has never helped me much.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2020 3:26 AM

Booze and cigarettes. Works every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2020 3:27 AM

Advil. Tylenol doesn’t do shit.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2020 3:29 AM

Advil and Aleve can both mess up your kidneys. It’s a shame because Advil is all that works for me.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2020 3:30 AM

Loritab is the best for arthritis pain. Despite the powers that be trying so hard to eradicate their use (yet still not stopping the manufacturing) they are still readily available. I dont care if it destroys my liver or I get addicted, I lived far too long with arthritis pain .

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2020 3:31 AM

Weed, smoked or eaten.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2020 4:59 AM

R19, it’s getting the prescription that’s tricky!

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote]I take one tylenol and one ibuprofen together for the worst pain.

This! Take one tylenol and one ibuprofen together. They work like magic together, and you aren't dealing with the negative effects of too much of either one.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 12:52 AM

The details of why tylenol and ibuprofen work well together is in how they work. Acetominophen (tylenol) raises your pain threshold. The pain is still there but you aren't feeling it. The ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and decreases that pain even more by removing the inflammation causing the pains. That's why it's really good on headaches, cramps, muscle strains/sprains, mild arthritis pain, etc.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 1:01 AM

All NSAIDs are bad for you and should be avoided, except aspirin. Aspirin should be avoided if you have blood thinning issues or stomach problems. Tylenol is OK at EXACT doses only. The OD on Tylenol is easy. If you drink at all you need to half your dose of Tylenol.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 1:18 AM

Stop with the evil NSAIDS crap. Use the minimum dose that works and don't exceed the directed dosage. Anything that's abused or used improperly is bad and everything will be bad for some people. If it works for you, be smart. Making people suffer because you half understood an article you read isn't doing anyone any good.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 7:40 AM

I am the painkiller master. My thoughts, sure to lead to at least a few "Get a blog!" replies:

Tylenol: Best for fevers and for sinus or allergy inflammation.

Tylenol: One Tylenol and one aspirin used to be my go-to for headaches, but thankfully I don't get headaches much anymore. You may want to try it.

Ibuprofen: Best for muscle aches and pains, mild injuries, things like that.

Excedrin: Migraines.

Aleve: Some people have had luck with it for muscular pains but I never got any benefit from it at all.

Diclofenac: Great if you want to poop your pants. Doesn't take care of pain quickly, you have to take it for a few days before it starts to really work, and then I didn't find it lasted long enough.

With all of these you want to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Don't take them for very long, but when you do take them, take them at their recommended intervals because that helps control pain the best. Waiting to take some until you have pain is less effective.

If you have muscular or joint pain, seriously look into treatments like TENS units or ice-heat combinations, plus helpful physical therapy practices. The best thing I ever did for my digestion was work on physical therapy for my injured leg, and reduced the amount of ibuprofen I took by a lot. Turned out the ibuprofen was causing acid reflux and other digestive issues.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 8:08 AM

Oxycontin is the shit. Talking about shit, time to change the colostomy bag: that baby is about to burst.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 8:17 AM

So many wacko pill experts. I say—-TAKE THEM ALL!

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 9:05 AM

Meloxicam helps me with joint pain when my daily turmeric capsule doesn't do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Aleve for muscle pain, but Advil for everything else.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2020 9:21 AM

First, your have to know existing medical issues, or medication contradictions.

OTC pain medications must be taken as a regiment. As in, painful joint swelling is not cured by two ibuprofen or naprosyn and then stop. You must take the 'take 2 every X hours' for several days to reduce the pain and swelling. Then stop. My partner will hobble around with his sore and swelling right foot, but takes 2 Tylenol (no ibuprofen for him, had a ruptured stomach) at night, and never again, unless I babysit him and make him take more. I've stopped babysitting.

You can take acetaminophen and ibuprofen at the same time. Advil just came out with a combo pill. Many pharmacists I worked with would recommend take acetaminophen 2 tablets, in 4 hours take 2 ibuprofen, then acetaminophen, 4 hours later ibuprofen as a regiment, stated above.

NSAIDs carry a risk of heart attacks and strokes. And some possible skin irritations.

So folks, aspirin is the way to go, but read the attached article for those that should not. Definitely not for DL'ers. You all are a bunch of drunks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 12:42 PM

My brother is a doctor. When I had shoulder problems, he said naproxen. Aleve.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2020 12:52 PM

Since most of you are alcoholics, remember that Tylenol, when mixed with alcohol, will turn your liver to mush.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2020 1:01 PM

Apap.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2020 1:10 PM

I used to wonder why all the pain reliever ads, but now I have some fucking pain somewhere every day. Aspirin works on headaches for me, but I've had persistent muscle pain from computer work for days now and nothing touches it. And I'm already on gabapentin for neuralgia.

by Anonymousreply 35August 27, 2020 6:22 PM

Goody's headache powder

NSAID, Aspirin though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 27, 2020 6:44 PM

R4, why would Tylenol bring down swelling on your knee? It’s not an anti-inflammatory.

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

Three of these medications aren’t even the same thing. Stupid Americans. They’ll pop any pill.

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2020 7:10 PM

Does ibuprofen have any effects on the liver? I had blood work done this week and my liver enzymes went from 50 to 100 in the past six months. I've been drinking beer and taking usually three ibuprofen a day since the lockdown started this spring.

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2020 7:52 PM

R37, everybody loves pills. They are magic.

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2020 9:09 PM

OP Get the generic equivalent of Voltaren topical gel. It's like magic for me. (Dclofenac Sodium) It's an anti-inflammatory.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2020 5:10 AM

^ sorry, Diclofenac

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2020 5:10 AM

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2020 5:24 AM

R42 That certainly helps one take his mind off the pain, yet even the best grass has never completely alleviated my arthritis flare-ups. Voltaren gel and grass is a nice a combo.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2020 5:27 AM

Effie we all got pain.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2020 5:59 AM

For muscle pain ([italic]if you can tolerate it - - see NSAID warnings above[/italic]), 2 ALEVE before bed, and then ONE more every eight hours for the next day or two. (Stop no later than the eighth pill. Pamper the sore muscle: do a soak, don’t over stress it, etc.).

For most headache pains, 1/2 the recommended high aspirin dose with lots of water - again, best before taking to bed. (As to hangovers, in addition to alcohol warnings, once you’ve actually got one, a normal aspirin dose is probably too much/too late. At most, lower dose, exercise a bit, eat a little something that’ll activate later hunger, stay home, and ponder why you keep doing this to yourself).

For everything else (or as, explained above, an even numbered alternate dose for NSAIDs), Tylenol, in moderation.

Don’t exceed two drinks a day while medicating.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2020 6:48 AM

Weed seems to be the only one without any negative side effects

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2020 6:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!