Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

10 Underrated American Movie Masterpieces of The 1980s

1. Stranger Than Paradise (1984)

2. Body Double (1984)

3. After Hours (1985)

4. Miracle Mile (1988)

5. Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989)

6. Eureka (1984)

7. Suburbia (1983)

8. Matewan (1987)

9. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

10. River’s Edge (1986)

Agree/Disagree/Anything missing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 4, 2021 11:11 PM

I don't know if Sex Lies & Videotape is underrated. It won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and was a very successful independent film.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 1:22 AM

Body Double sure is fun.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2020 1:25 AM

[quote] 9. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

I'd take this out and replace it with "September" or "Hannah and Her Sisters".

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2020 1:36 AM

1. Stranger Than Paradise (1984) (was and remains admired) 2. Body Double (1984) (hated by some, loved by some - nothing has changed) 3. After Hours (1985) (much liked in its day - largely forgotten today) 4. Miracle Mile (1988) (developed immediate cult following which is still has) 5. Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989) (admired in its day though it still has its admirers it is not held with the same regard) 6. Eureka (1984) (hated in its day but all but die-hard Roeg fans - its reputation has risen over the years) 7. Suburbia (1983) (small cult item in its day - still is nothing more than that) 8. Matewan (1987) (well regarded in its day - still is but much less known) 9. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) (highly regarded in its day and still is) 10. River’s Edge (1986) (highly regarded in its day and has maintained a respectable cult following).

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2020 1:45 AM

R3 - I don't think a best picture nominee (Hanna and Her Sisters) would be considered underrated.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2020 1:46 AM

1. Stranger Than Paradise, After Hours and Miracle Mile are three of my favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2020 1:49 AM

After Hours and The Purple Rose of Cairo(perfect movie.) are two of my favorite films. And I like most of the other films on this list.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2020 1:49 AM

Miracle Mile is one of my favorites too.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2020 1:53 AM

After Hours is currently on HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2020 1:54 AM

I love Body Double. I don’t think it got the credit it deserves because the main lead sucks and the movie doesn’t pick up until the murder about halfway through.

Everything from that point on is terrific and Pino Donaggio had a great score.

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2020 1:57 AM

I would maybe add: Blow Out, Repo Man, Near Dark, UFOria, Blood Simple and Stop Making Sense.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2020 1:59 AM

I am so sick of these lists of "underrated" films that turn out to be either popular or critically acclaimed.

There are genuinely underrated films that turn out to be great. (Films like Dance Girl Dance or Make Way for Tomorrow).

But these films never show up on these lists.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2020 2:35 AM

I love your list.

Peggy Sue Got Married

and

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2020 2:36 AM

Melanie Griffith was outstanding in Body Double, just as good as her performances in Something Wild and Working Girl.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2020 2:38 AM

R14 Yeah, and then she flamed out.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2020 2:38 AM

Purple Rose of Cairo is an excellent choice, Op. Second post to bring on a happy memory...this and the stagelight cosmetics post.

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2020 2:54 AM

I was an extra in Repo Man, r11.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2020 2:58 AM

Oooh I liked Matewan, but didn't like After Hours at all.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2020 2:59 AM

Very cool, R17!

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2020 3:03 AM

I thought Body Double was low-grade DePalma.

Matewan is very well intentioned and has some good sections, but the movie becomes plodding after a while as Sayles can't create compelling dramatic arcs. His next film, Eight Men Out, is much, much better and does belong on this list.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2020 3:04 AM

EUREKA is embarrassing, not the least due to the terrible script and inept acting of Theresa Russell (her courtroom scene is a shit show of bad writing and acting).

I can't imagine what a curmudgeon like Gene Hackman must have been thinking during the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2020 3:08 AM

A guy I knew lent me his video of Miracle Mile saying it was surprisingly good. This was in the mid-90s. I’ve never met anyone else who has seen it except on DL.

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2020 3:25 AM

"Liquid Sky" [1982]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2020 3:38 AM

Koyaanisqatsi. It had a great soundtrack like Liquid Sky.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2020 3:48 AM

Housekeeping!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2020 3:54 AM

Stupid list. How old was the person who compiled it?

I love Body Double but I agree it’s low-grade De Palma, he has many other better movies (Dressed To Kill and Blow Out from the same decade, even).

sex, lies, and videotape is a contemporary classic and I’m not aware of its standing being diminished.

Apartment Zero deserves to be on that list if Suburbia does (and Suburbia doesn’t).

I’m guessing a very young person came up with those.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2020 3:54 AM

Say Anything should be on that list.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2020 3:57 AM

...say Anything is an extremely popular movie and I wouldn’t call it underrated.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2020 4:03 AM

Altered States (1980) Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains (1982) Valley Girl (1983) Lost in America (1985) The Sure Thing (1985) True Stories (1986) Talk Radio (1988) Married to the Mob (1988) Eight Men Out (1988) Mystery Train (1989) UHF (1989)

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2020 4:54 AM

^^^sorry about the formatting

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2020 4:55 AM

Valley Girl and Married to the Mob are well known and appreciated (at least, I think so). Valley Girl is also popular due to the soundtrack.

Miracle Mile is a great film. Over the years, it's gained a following as said above. The only thing I would change about that film is Mare Winningham's horrible mullet. Apparently she and Anthony Edwards are now a real-life couple. They're terrific together in the movie.

For underrated '80s films, I would say: Making Mr. Right, White of the Eye, The Moderns, Siesta, Love Letters (Jamie Lee Curtis - she's great in it despite the fact that the film has her unnecessarily naked for a number of scenes), and especially Four Friends.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2020 7:16 AM

Body Double is and will always be a favorite - low-grade De Palma or not. It's one of the few films that I can watch over and over and never tire of. Dressed to Kill is almost equal IMO, but less binge-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2020 7:24 AM

I like some of the movies you mention (NOT "Matewan"), but wouldn't call any of them a masterpiece. I would call David Mamet's "House of Games" a masterpiece; I think it got solid reviews at the time, as well as a few festival awards, but was more or less underrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2020 7:35 AM

R33 End Thread. This film is amazing and weirdly forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2020 8:46 AM

R32 I went to the first day screening for Body Double being a big Brian De Palma fan and there were a bunch of bearded lesbians outside the cinema complex protesting.

Needless to say I loved the film - Carrie, Dressed to Kill & Body Double wold make a great triple bill.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2020 9:26 AM

Oh yes, The Moderns, r31

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2020 11:41 AM

Absence of Malice

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2020 11:52 AM

The only ones I’ve seen are After Hours, Sex/Lies, and Eureka, all of which I saw at the time of their release. All made a strong impression on me, particularly Eureka. I remember After Hours and Sex/Lies getting strong reviews at the time.

Another that I would add to a list of underappreciated movies from the 80’s is Scarface. Critical reaction at the time recoiled at the extreme violence in the movie. For perspective on how things have changed, the violence in Scarface is exceeded by the gore and body count of the average Game of Thrones episodes. The violence is Scarface actually fits perfectly into the garish, but ultimately Shakespearean, tone of the movie. Led by Pacino’s over the top performance, the whole enterprise teeters on the edge of camp, but remains grounded by a smart, quotable script (“Say hello to my little friend” and “Nothing exceeds like excess”) and great performances by the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2020 3:44 PM

Scarface is one of the most reissued titles on DVD and Blu-ray. It's hugely popular nowadays thanks to iconography in hip hop.

It was a flop at the time but almost 40 years later it is a classic example of a film gaining more fans over time.

It's very much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2020 4:41 PM

The King of Comedy. Yes, it’s widely admired, but it wasn’t an Oscar contender and many people wouldn’t even put it in the top tier of Scorsese films. It’s brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2020 4:46 PM

King of Comedy

Dressed to Kill

Blow Up

Body Double

Crimes of Passion

Day of the Dead

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2020 4:58 PM

Crimes of Passion reminds me of Blue Velvet but I thiknk it's better. Blue Velvet, to me, has always been Lynch's most overrated movie.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2020 5:01 PM

I consider Running on Empty to be very underrated. I thought it was one of the most moving films I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2020 5:05 PM

Kathleen Turner was brilliant in Crimes of Passion. I don't think any other actress could have done that film. Maybe Jennifer Jason Leigh if she had been older at the time, but even JJL wouldn't have had the same kind of theatricality as Turner did. The way she goes from Joanna to China Blue was seamless. Turner and Keaton in Looking for Mr. Goodbar are two of my all-time favourite performances because of that duality.

Turner should have been Oscar-nominated.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2020 5:27 PM

STAR 80 is woefully under-appreciated, especially considering the talent involved. That Eric Roberts was not even nominated by the Academy is still one of their biggest oversights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2020 5:28 PM

After Hours is actually overrated. It's a chore to sit through and not a successful comedy.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2020 5:39 PM

R46, I agree. I didn't like it at all.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2020 5:40 PM

Cherry 2000 another Melanie Griffith film. Griffith was at her best in the '80s. They tried to turn her into a conventional leading lady in the '90s and it didn't work. She was better suited to quirky, offbeat films, which is why her '80s films are still beloved.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2020 5:45 PM

The 80's is very underrated in terms of moviemaking. It tends to get dismissed as the era of the blockbuster and Stallone, Cruise type vehicles. But there are some truly great movies that were made, a lot of which never got their due.

You also had Meryl Streep, Jessica Lange, Debra Winger, Sissy Spacek, Kathleen Turner, Michelle Pfeiffer, Cher, Glenn Close, Sigourney Weaver all at the top of their games turning out some stellar work. Far better than these one dimensional waifs being foisted upon the pubic for the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2020 5:46 PM

I think many of the classic movies from the 80s have aged much better than the ones from the 70s. But anyways, Something Wild is truly one of the best screwball comedies ever. It's one of the most enjoybale movies I can think of. It was so good, Madonna tried to recreate it with Who's That Girl (and failed miserably).

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2020 5:49 PM

I agree about Something Wild. It never gets old. There will always be a Jeff Daniels character out there, miserable with his day job, unhappy with his family, wanting to run into an Audrey to help them escape from their dull life.

The soundtrack is fantastic. I know most consider Silence of the Lambs Jonathan Demme's peak, but, for me, all of his '80s films are my favourites - Melvin and Howard, Stop Making Sense, Something Wild and Married to the Mob. Maybe even Swing Shift (I hope to see the original workprint one day - c'mon, Goldie!).

Though, not gonna lie, I like Who's That Girl? It's fun. Nowhere near as good as Something Wild, of course.

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2020 7:16 PM

R51, I agree 100%--I think Silence of the Lambs is very overrated. His 80s stuff was the best, Demme had a lot of sensitivity for the average joe. Who's that Girl isn't good, but it's not completely horrible. I don;t think most of Madonna's "horrible" films are that bad--the big exceptions being Shanghai Surprise, Body of Evidence and Swept Away.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2020 7:59 PM

Desert Bloom

Star 80

Smooth Talk

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2020 8:09 PM

Body Double is a sordid mess. Almost ended De Palma's career.

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2020 8:16 PM

Brother From Another Planet

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2020 8:34 PM

After Hours and Miracle Mile are two of my favorite 80s films.

I'd also add:

Drugstore Cowboy (WHET Kelly Lynch?)

Ghost Story

Rocket Gibralter (Burt Lancaster's last great performance)

Echo Park

Fandango

Smithereens

Shoot the Moon

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2020 11:49 PM

1000% agree with Shoot The Moon! Ironic that this is my favorite film, even more than the ones I listed. RIP Alan Parker.

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2020 11:55 PM

One From the Heart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 9, 2020 11:58 PM

The Fly and Videodrome are not only my two favorite Conenbergs, but two of my favorite films of the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2020 1:17 AM

I'll second True Stories. It's one of those rare films that makes even a confirmed cynic feel uncharacteristically hopeful for humanity and the future. And it's hilarious, too.

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2020 1:25 AM

Shoot the Moon is a great choice. Very underrated. One of Diane Keaton's best performances. Not a trace of Annie Hall or the lazy acting choices she would rely on later.

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2020 1:33 AM

R61 My favorite scenes are her in the bathtub, when she is standing at the window talking to her daughter about trying to remain hopeful, and then the hilarious argument in the restaurant towards the end of the film.

Just a great film and BEAUTIFULLY shot... Alan Parker and Adrian Lyne's films have a similar look. Kind of dreamy and hazy..

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2020 2:58 PM

Does Choose Me hold up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2020 9:53 PM

I liked I've Heard the Mermaids Singing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2020 10:06 PM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2020 10:07 PM

Writing Local Hero just because I don't see it in any other comment.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2020 10:26 PM

Where are The Blue Lagoon, Paradise, Porky's, 10 to Midnight , Crimes of Passion and Siesta ? These are MASTERPIECE!!!!

None in the OP's list presented dong, so it's MEH from me.

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2020 10:48 PM

LOCAL HERO is a British film, R66.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2020 10:50 PM

Ehh why are films focusing on the lives of lesbians and trans folk always excluded?

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2020 10:56 PM

Angel Heart and 91/2 Weeks

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2020 10:58 PM

[quote]Ehh why are films focusing on the lives of lesbians and trans folk always excluded?

Speaking for your dead trans dad, R69, Hideous Fat Division CuntTroll?

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2020 10:58 PM

We already mentioned Crimes of Passion and Siesta r67! Pay attention!

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2020 11:00 PM

Angel Heart was OK. Nothing spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2020 11:02 PM

Are there really people who like Scarface? I just went looking for reviews of Alan Hollinghurst's Line of Beauty, where his main character goes on a bad date to see it. But I found some seemingly sane reviewer talking about the movie's "raging homoerotic subtext" (of course he also thought LoB was crap, so what does he know). I thought Tony was into his sister?

by Anonymousreply 74August 11, 2020 12:30 AM

R74, there are a ton of people who love it. I don't see what's so great about it. Carlito's Way is much better.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2020 12:33 AM

Miracle Mile is one of the rare films that gets modern LA right. Ava Gardner famously said Melbourne, Australia was "the perfect place to make a movie about the end of the world" when shooting On the Beach... Miracle Mile proves there is no better place than Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 76August 11, 2020 12:39 AM

Miracle Mile has one of the best transitions in tone of any film I've seen. The scene at the diner is absolute perfection. Terrifying but also realistic.

by Anonymousreply 77August 11, 2020 12:48 AM

Earth Girls Are Easy

by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2020 1:06 AM

Let me add Another Woman. A very warm film. The tone, the look, the performances. It's a film I can watch over and over. And I liked Gena Rowlands so much as an intellectual/kind of repressed and stuffy woman.

by Anonymousreply 79August 11, 2020 1:25 AM

Another vote for Making Mr. Right. The only movie Malkovich was actually endearing in and Ann Magnuson in super cute outfits. All that and...Laurie Metcalf!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 11, 2020 4:48 PM

Parents.

by Anonymousreply 81August 11, 2020 5:29 PM

Pennies from Heaven (1981). I don't even care much for movie musicals, but I love this one.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2020 10:05 AM

Sex, Lies, and Videotape did not want for attention or acclaim. It was discussed or referenced for years.

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2020 10:14 AM

The Color Purple

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2020 12:41 PM

Body Double was a great movie in some respects (Melanie Griffith was fantastic) but it was ruined by Brian De Palma's chronic need to slice up women.

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2020 12:44 PM

Lots of good suggestions in these posts that I will seek out. I’ve never heard of Eureka or Miracle Mile. As for lesbians in cinema Desert Hearts from 1985 was THE lesbian movie for many years afterward. It’s been so long since I saw it I don’t remember if it’s any good or not.

by Anonymousreply 86August 12, 2020 12:52 PM

Deborah Shelton was the best thing about Body Double. Also memorable as Mandy Winger in Dallas, playing "JR's #1 mistress" as Sue Ellen referred to her. And still looks great today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2020 9:09 PM

I'd say Personal Best (1982) is underrated. Maybe not a "masterpiece," but Mariel and Patrice develop three-dimensional characters out of their roles and Towne captures their athleticism quite well. Kind of shocking that his next directorial effort was the horrendously boring and convoluted Tequila Sunrise.

by Anonymousreply 88July 4, 2021 3:16 PM

BLACK WIDOW. She mates and she kills. Your question is "Does she love?" It's impossible to answer that. Unless you live in her world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 4, 2021 4:32 PM

"Manhunter" (1986) - I actually prefer it to SOTL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 4, 2021 5:57 PM

I was in college in the 80s and got to see many of these at the art cinema downtown in Cincinnati. Such great memories - of these, especially "Stranger Than Paradise", "The Moderns", "Repo Man", "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" are all great memories. Another great one was the Dutch film "The 4th Man".

by Anonymousreply 91July 4, 2021 11:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!