Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GOP Might Replace Trump

There are rumors that the GOP convention will be closed to press so that the party leadership can replace Trump with another candidate.

by Anonymousreply 101August 13, 2020 9:19 AM

Lol no way

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 1:19 AM

Sure, Jan.

That will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2020 1:19 AM

Political theater at its finest!

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2020 1:22 AM

Riggggghhhhhhhhhhtttttttt.

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2020 1:25 AM

Dear TrolloP,

The GOP can't replace Trump, because they don't HAVE anyone else.

Americans fucking hate Republicans at this point.

If it wasn't for Trump's cult of personality, they would have absolutely nothing.

He's not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2020 1:26 AM

Never gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2020 1:34 AM

Suicidal.

There are no more Republicans.

There are just Trumpists.

Yes there is a lot of overlap between the two, but Trumpists are their own thing.

The GOP will need to rebuild from scratch next year.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2020 1:37 AM

Even if they did they are still fucked.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2020 1:39 AM

And get a mean tweet from him...I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2020 1:41 AM

Our DC insiders are never, ever right about anything.

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2020 1:41 AM

It’s too late to replace him.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2020 1:44 AM

Who with? Putin?

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2020 1:48 AM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2020 1:49 AM

I can be available.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2020 1:49 AM

Because if Trump were deposed, he wouldn't spend the next three months lacing into whoever they nominated to replace him with a hundred mean tweets each day.

That would never happen.

No way, Hose A

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2020 1:52 AM

Just stop with this ridiculous wishful thinking OP.

The GOP would be facing a landslide sized lose if they replaced Trump. They know this whether they like it or not. It will never happen as much as some of them may loathe Trump.

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2020 1:52 AM

This is truly delusional thinking. No, they are not replacing the Dotard.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2020 1:56 AM

In other news. Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and God all exist.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2020 1:59 AM

I’m available, boys!

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2020 2:00 AM

Don't bet on anything, especially on Trump losing big time. I've read shit such as this before, only to be disappointed and angry when things end up going the other way. Get your asses out there and vote.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2020 2:00 AM

Those sniveling assholes are actually afraid of Trump and his army of Trumpanzees!

Unbelievable, huh?

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2020 2:33 AM

The backlash from the MAGATS if this were to ever happen, would be catastrophic.

They have guns, and they will use them.

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2020 3:15 AM

Dump had an 84% Republitard approval rating as of July. Pre-COVID it was closer to 90%. Can you tell us, OP, which Republican politician rates higher among the constituents?

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2020 3:32 AM

True DC insiders do not refer to themselves as such.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2020 3:42 AM

Look at what's happened in the last few days. He stalked out of press conference today when a tough question was asked. A bigtime donor cut Trump off and their tiff was the main headline all day on Drudge.

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2020 3:44 AM

All of that is true, R25, but it doesn’t matter, because the Repuke Party doesn’t exist any longer; they’ve become the party of tRump. Miz Lindz predicted that they would destroy themselves if they followed Cheatolini down this path, and the old gal was right. They have. But the weak-willed and lily-livered cowards in the GOP, who haven’t stood up to him at any point in the last five years, aren’t about to find a spine and do it now. The ones with a lick of sense left — all three of them — realize that the whole thing has to come crashing down in flames before they can attempt to rebuild. Afterward, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them break into two distinct factions, at least for a bit. But ditch this miserable SOB? Never.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2020 7:47 AM

There's Mitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2020 7:57 AM

Mitt Romney failed to march in line, so Mitt Romney is DOA.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2020 8:11 AM

Romney only failed to march in line with Drumph. If he could pair with UN Ambassador Niki Haley, it would make for a tight race.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2020 8:57 AM

We still exist!

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2020 9:21 AM

If Trump should "win" will everyone sit back and accept it? Will we continue to act as if these criminals are normal? Will the pundits on TV continue to act outraged for ratings?

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2020 10:51 AM

The only one the GOP would Trump replace with was recently elected prez for Life in Russia. As of right now Putin can't be the dictator of two countries. But give it a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2020 10:54 AM

If anyone’s getting replaced, it’s Mike Pence. In fact that was my very first thought when I heard about the closed nomination.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2020 11:08 AM

If I make my dad fall downstairs, will I become the GOP's new nominee? :-)

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2020 11:14 AM

I suspect it’s due to conflicts about Trump. Not quite to the extent of replacing him (although I bet it’s on the table), but controlling the message from both Trump and the likes of the Lincoln Project. The disarray, and the numbers, are worse than they want us to know, and they fear the convention will reflect that.

Yesterday’s stunt with the executive orders cannot have helped his case.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2020 11:34 AM

Meghan McCain is that you?

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2020 11:38 AM

The GOP will never have the guts to remove Trump. If Trump was going to replace Pence he would already be teasing about it, because he can't keep quiet about anything. Pence would have to agree to being replaced, he can't be fired, even though this is a new election.

It's really weird though, not having the press there.

How can they use the convention to get people excited to vote if nobody sees any of it?

Very curious.

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2020 11:39 AM

Don't be so naive, gurls. As long as "Republican Party" continues to be printed on ballots, it exists. It's all about power. The mainstream Republicans accommodated the hard right to get their votes. And now it's clear what a mistake that was. There are still plenty of mainstream Republicans (The Lincoln Project, for example,) and all they have to do is organize, fund-raise, and campaign to start regaining their hold on power.

After Trump goes down the toilet in November and carries on like an ass until the Electoral College vote in mid-December (the worst five weeks in the lives of any of us,) the country is going to be well sick of Donald Fucking Trump and anyone who supported him. And that's when the others will make their moves. It's just an organization. People filter in and they filter out, too. The party is a sick, soulless, and integrity-free mess because those are the basic characteristics of all Republicans, whether they be mainstream or hard-right.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2020 11:42 AM

I'm shocked Dumpy agreed to no press. Out of character for such a massive attention whore. Maybe they're going to replace him with a body double that isn't incontinent and suffering from dementia.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2020 1:22 PM

I’ve read some speculation that a Pres.-elect Biden would offer Mitt Romney Foggy Bottom.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2020 1:55 PM

Who could possibly be more EVIL? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2020 2:00 PM

Romney, Haley, or any other plausible replacement would so anger the base—which is solidly Trumpoid—that the party would risk non-voters and protests votes for third parties.

Replacing boring Pence might sound like a good idea, but it's a but late, and besides, Pence (and more specifically Mother Pence) knows where the bodies are buried and so has insurance.

No, the only way for the Republicans to replace Trump at this point is the way the Praetorian Guard replaced Pertinax.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2020 2:14 PM

Damn you, R42. I was just about to post that!

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2020 2:31 PM

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that Dump would be replaced, but this no press thing is very, very odd. It could be behind the scenes moves to replace Pence, though. Dump won’t lose any votes, the evangelicals/conservatives won’t abandon him. But a Nikki Haley might add a few women back. There’s definitely a reason for the press ban, and it isn’t because they’re “fake news.”

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2020 2:44 PM

If the thread title was GOP Might Replace Pence, it would be more believable.

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2020 3:28 PM

Trump has dirt on Pence, Pence has dirt on Trump. Where could this possibly go?

Also, I believe Trump enjoys having someone like Pence right under his thumb at all times. He likes the control. He can tell him to jump, and Pence just asks "How High?".

I mean, how mean is Trump sending Pence off to all the Covid hot spots, and Pence just does it.

Why mess with success?

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2020 3:32 PM

R46, Dump messes with success, he messes with failure, he messes. It’s what he does.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote] Dump messes with success, he messes with failure

He also messes his diapers.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2020 4:31 PM

No press was a balloon to distract for the day, it won't happen at the end.....he got you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2020 5:58 PM

Honestly, I think his campaign just doesn't want him to be filmed going on some demented rant filled with incoherent nonsense that will take them a month to untangle and walk back.

It gives me some pleasure to know they don't get a bit of sleep because he makes their lives a living hell, 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2020 6:42 PM

Does this mean they can legally block any footage that does get leaked?

Should we stock up on the fixins for s'mores?

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2020 7:21 PM

They could replace him with a chimp and it would still be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2020 7:47 PM

Mittens is waiting in the wings.

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2020 7:51 PM

Maybe they're going to offer Anusmouth a deal, that somehow keeps him and his shitty family out of jail, if he pulls out of the race for 'health reasons'.

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2020 9:13 PM

Haley wouldn't add a single vote. Anyone who cares about having a female VP is already voting for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2020 11:37 PM

Exactly R22. There is no way they will ever replace Trump. It would be political suicide.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2020 5:28 AM

Senatrice Lindsey would simply love to be first lady. So just who will the lucky gentleman caller and future president be?

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2020 6:45 AM

While I could certainly see the GOP wanting Nikki Haley on the ticket to prove that they don't hate women nearly as much as they actually hate women, I find it difficult to wrap my brain around most of these MAGA deplorables voting for a woman of color at that level of government.

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2020 12:10 PM

It will never happen, but what is bizarre to me is that these people have so ingrained themselves in with Trump and all his nonsense, they have torpedoed their careers irreparably and I just cannot understand why. Once Trump is gone they will have nothing at best, or be ruined/jailed at worst. Why? Are they seriously that stupid and lacking in any kind of foresight? Why throw away your career for one man for 4 years? It's mind-boggling really.

The Republicans have essentially handed over power for generations because of Trump. I mean, I'm not complaining - it can only be a good thing overall, but it doesn't make any sense from a long term strategy perspective. They can't ALL be complete idiots, can they?

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2020 2:48 PM

Mike Pence 2020! Amen!

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2020 2:49 PM

This is nonsense. If they were going to replace him they would have had their "Visit" at the White House weeks ago. And Trump would never be able to contain himself. He'd be attacking everyone including McConnell and everyone else. No, they're going down with the ship. Good.

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2020 3:04 PM

All the GOPtards can do is feeling concerned. Fuck them! Just vote them out this November.

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2020 3:08 PM

You'd all better hope you're right. I'm not so convinced. Anything can happen between now and November. VOTE

by Anonymousreply 63August 11, 2020 11:53 AM

The American people will replace Trump.

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2020 11:55 AM

I'm just soooo relieved that we have a real top runner on our ticket.

by Anonymousreply 65August 12, 2020 9:06 AM

Trump could never be replaced. Fox "News" has very effectively smeared all of his opponents (all being Mittens and...Murkowski? Have there been any others?) to a point that the base hates them and would never support them in numbers that they would need. The GOP is a cult after all - there is zero room for dissent. As for replacing Pence - too little, too late. And I agree that the closet-case little creep has all the dirt on Trump and vice versa. It would be a blood bath for the party at this stage. The die is cast.

by Anonymousreply 66August 12, 2020 9:43 AM

The right wing Christians only support Trump because of Pence. If someone like McConnell would say that he'd prefer some other Republican as POTUS the right wing Christian pundits would abandon Trump.

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2020 10:11 AM

I don't see Trump being replaced. However, that doesn't mean he won't replace Pence with someone else who can excite the base. In that regard, the rumor is that Nikki Haley would step in. Hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2020 10:20 AM

Stop dreaming, OP. If they wanted to replace Trump, they could've done it on February 5, 2020. It's not gonna happen now or ever.

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2020 10:24 AM

The right wing evangelicals don't care about McConnell. They've either already abandoned Trump or they are locked in for the ride, no matter who is VP.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2020 11:25 AM

R70 is right. A certain group of evangelicals will never abandon Dump. I never believed Pence helped in that area. They love home for one of two reason: 1) they know he’s a terrible Christian but they believe he’s capable of getting them what they want—abortion bans, conservative judges,, no immigrants. The other reason is they’re plain old racists who love what he says.

They’re going to go down with the ship.

by Anonymousreply 71August 12, 2020 12:10 PM

Pence was just a bridge to get the Evangelicals on board. It gave them a way to rationalize their choice. He is completely unnecessary now, to them at least.

They just want power. They are just white supremacists, using the bible to shield them against people seeing them for what they really are.

Remember that scene in Fiddler on the Roof, where people had to flee from their own homes? That's the vision that people like Mike Pompeo have. They want to run anyone who isn't white right out of the country.

That being said, Trump cannot legally force Pence out. He would have to go willingly.

by Anonymousreply 72August 12, 2020 12:42 PM

If Trump really wanted Pence out, his team would put out a statement that Pence had decided to retire. Which would be news to Pence, LOL. And then Pence would have the choice to go along with it or publicly state that it was a lie. There would be enormous pressure from the party for him to go along with the statement.

by Anonymousreply 73August 12, 2020 1:13 PM

R72, quick question—are you referring to Pence as a nominee or as the VP when you say Dump couldn’t legally force him out? I know that’s the case re: the VP, but I’m assuming that if Dump convinced the Republican Party to replace him on the ticket for 2020, that wouldn’t be a legal issue.

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2020 1:16 PM

He cannot legally force him out today, R72 - not even replace him as a candidate on the ticket.

I've seen more than one comment on this from legal experts.

by Anonymousreply 75August 12, 2020 1:27 PM

I don’t know about that, r75. Parties are not governed by laws re selecting candidates to run, only by finance stuff. Come on DL, I know there’s someone out there who’s an expert.

by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2020 1:40 PM

"To oust a vice president requires a vote of the House and two-thirds vote in the Senate".

This holds true even during the new campaign of an incumbent president.

He could do it, if the Democrats were amenable to it.

But, you know he's incapable of selecting anyone who isn't a complete monster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2020 1:57 PM

R75, I’m not referring to Dump ousting him as BP—that’s not possible, we all know that, he must be impeached. But Pence’s term is up Jan. 20, if he’s not on the ticket and re-elected. What’s to stop Dump from replacing him on the ticket? Pence continues to be BP, and is theoretically replaced (hopefully not since Biden will win) on Jan. 20.

by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2020 6:55 PM

^ stupid effing autocorrect. VP not BP.

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2020 6:59 PM

I asked the same question R78 - and was very surprised to find out that it makes no difference.

He cannot dump Pence without votes in the Senate, regardless of whether it's a second term.

by Anonymousreply 80August 12, 2020 7:22 PM

Ummm....r80,:you are not understanding what I’m saying. Of course he can’t remove Pence from the VP position for the term 2017 to 2021. Pence must be impeached in the House and removed in the Senate. But can Dump replace him (or can Republicans replace him) on the Republican Party TICKET that will serve 2021 to 2025. I think Pence can easily be replaced. Of course if he’s nominated and re-elected on Dump’s ticket, the same rules to remove him apply as in his first term.

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2020 7:35 PM

You aren't understanding what I'm saying.

The answer is simply no - he cannot replace him for an immediate, upcoming term.

If he decides after he loses to run again in 2024, he can put whoever he wants on the ticket with him.

I expect an awful lot of media attention focused on him running again in 2024 once he loses this election. It is the thing that makes members of the GOP absolutely terrified.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2020 7:55 PM

“Firing” Pence is not possible. He can only be impeached. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean that Cheeto has to run with him again. The two things are totally different and totally separate. Certainly, custom dictates that the current VP will remain in the ticket for re-election. But there is nothing (constitution included) that dictates that must be. Should he ticket change (e.g. Trump/Gaetz), and that ticket wins, then on January 21, 2021 Gaetz becomes VP. Until the swearing in, Pence remains VP.

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2020 7:56 PM

Think of it this way, R81/ R78 - Whether Trump serves one or two terms he will still be considered the 45th President. His presidency doesn't get separated, he's not going to be both 45 and 46. It's considered to be one, continuous administration and presidency.

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2020 7:58 PM

What you are suggesting, R75, is that once someone is elected as VP, that person is legally entitled to run for the office again, unless the person chooses not to do so. I don’t understand where you get the legal authority for your position. Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2020 8:00 PM

R75: you are talking about how we count the number of individuals who have served as president. That is totally irrelevant to who serves as VP. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING says that the VP must remain the same in a second administration, and nothing says that the VP only must decide whether or not to run for re-election.

by Anonymousreply 86August 12, 2020 8:05 PM

I can see this happening because it would give Trump an out while avoiding a massive loss, but what good does it do for the Party? Maybe someone like Pence, Tom Cotton or Haley is willing to step into the role but why bother taking over a tainted campaign? Would Republican voters go along with this or turn on the Party? They've already created a Tea Party, some millionaires can get together and form a new MAGA Party.

Best to just move forward with Trump and let the election work its way out. GOP gets to toss him in 2021 or 2025. All of his people run the RNC so I don't think this could happen without his consent.

by Anonymousreply 87August 12, 2020 8:20 PM

I believe that Trump could say, Fuck you Pence, I don't want you on my ticket for my next administration. Then it comes down to the GOP convention. If the convention says Fuck you Trump, we want Pence... once Pence is voted in by the Convention, he can't be replaced as the VP candidate unless he quits. On the other hand, if the GOP convention instead votes in Trump's replacement VP, then Pence is still VP until the end of this current administration, but he will not be VP in the next administration. If Trump won a second term, the replacement VP candidate becomes the new VP and similarly could not be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 88August 12, 2020 8:25 PM

538's election model released today has Biden's odds at 71 percent and Trump's at 29 percent. The private nomination has me curious...

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2020 8:32 PM

Presidents can replace the VP candidate on the ticket at election time for the second term, it has happened more than once in the past. Pretty sure Franklin Roosevelt replace whoever the VP was with Truman, but honestly I am too lazy to look it up. In 2012 there was some talk of Obama replacing Biden with a younger VP to run in 2016, supposedly it was discussed in the White House at the time but Obama eventually decided it would look bad on his part and stuck with Biden.

by Anonymousreply 90August 12, 2020 8:34 PM

R88 got it right. Pence can be replaced on the ticket. Once he’s elected—IF he’s elected in the general election—after he’s sworn in, he is removed only via impeachment/removal.

by Anonymousreply 91August 12, 2020 8:40 PM

At this point, the only reasons to replace candidate Pence are 1) get someone who can actually debate Kamala Harris, 2) force Pence to resign to make way for the new candidate, which would put an end to leaks by Team Pence. It wouldn't be hard for Trump to spin... all he has to say that he wants to move his administration in a new direction, and the cult will follow. Whether the donors will follow is another question.

by Anonymousreply 92August 12, 2020 8:40 PM

R92, you mentioned the leaks... is it a given that Pence is the source of most of them? It would not surprise me. But tbh, if he is, Dump should replace him. In fact, I can’t believe Dum hasn’t blown a gasket at this.

by Anonymousreply 93August 12, 2020 8:44 PM

R93, I don't think there's any concrete evidence that Team Pence is leaking, but I've gotten the impression that Project Lincoln has a source on Team Pence. It might not be Pence himself - could just be some nameless advisor. However, I think it's telling that Trump's dep prep team is small to prevent leaks, and Team Pence has been excluded from that dep prep altogether. Somebody has a clue.

by Anonymousreply 94August 12, 2020 8:58 PM

I've been asked to step in a few times and don't have much going on right now.

by Anonymousreply 95August 12, 2020 9:09 PM

[quote]But there is nothing (constitution included) that dictates that must be.

Tell us about it.

by Anonymousreply 96August 12, 2020 10:32 PM

It would be in the GOP's best interest at this point but they are stupid fucking idiots convulsing in the death throes of their party.

by Anonymousreply 97August 12, 2020 11:16 PM

Supposedly Mother Pence was miffed when they won ("Go away, Mike, you got what you want") because in her cold political heart she wanted him to win the hearts of the Republican base without the liabilities of actually serving Trump, so as to be fresh for 2020. Didn't work out that way.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2020 11:24 PM

I guess the Pence's lost all their money funding his political campaigns. I should say they lost all of HER money, the money she got when she divorced her first husband.

I always wonder if she hates him for that. I'm not sure how much money they've raked in during Trump's presidency.

by Anonymousreply 99August 13, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote]I guess the Pence's lost all their money

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 100August 13, 2020 2:48 AM

Ay-ah, will rayaise my hand to volunteah to take The Donald’s place as long as I get the saume honor guard John Lewis got, especially the fine sailor in the white breeches.

by Anonymousreply 101August 13, 2020 9:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!