Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Possible new sitcom starring Dolly

"In addition to more Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings, Netflix has been exploring other potential projects with Parton, including a sitcom headlined by the country icon."

This would be AWESOME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2020 7:03 PM

Her head is HUGE in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2020 4:01 AM

No! No! No! The woman is 103 years old. Maybe if they had done a sitcom with her in the 1980s, it would have been good. But I predict another Life With Lucy in the works.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2020 4:01 AM

9 to 5, the sitcom! Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2020 4:04 AM

I'm shocked she's not dead yet.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2020 4:07 AM

[quote]9 to 5, the sitcom! Awesome! —Lili & Jane

Been there, done that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2020 4:08 AM

She is living right.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2020 4:09 AM

She needs to get her funbags reduced. Old ladies with large funbags are gross.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2020 4:10 AM

Tuesdays with Truvy.

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2020 4:23 AM

I think Dolly is still sexy and is very funny. It has the potential to be a good show.

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2020 4:26 AM

Heartstrings was absolutely CRAPTASTIC, I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2020 4:30 AM

She should do a sitcom based on The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2020 4:42 AM

A sitcom is a horrible idea nowadays. The only one to come out since the early 2000's and do well is Netflix's reboot of One Day At A Time, and that's only because they milked the social justice thing to draw in the blue haired crowd.

Sitcoms are a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2020 4:45 AM

How many people watch that show, R12?

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2020 4:47 AM

The only successful sitcom in the last 20 years is One Day at a Time reboot?

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2020 4:47 AM

Hold me, Jim. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2020 4:49 AM

I define a sitcom as one with a multi-camera show with a laugh track. That rules out shows like The Office and its rip-offs, The Good Place, Grace and Frankie, etc etc.

When I think sitcoms I think Will & Grace, Golden Girls, The Nanny, Friends, etc etc. No show like that has come out since the early 2000's and done well. They especially won't do well now, in a post-Game Of Thrones world. Audiences don't want sitcoms, they want dramas full of violence and sex. There's no room for sitcoms anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2020 4:52 AM

I love Dolly, but she's better in small doses. Just MHO.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2020 4:54 AM

Considering how shitty the world is now, I think there are a good number of people who could use a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2020 4:54 AM

A Coat of Many Colors to Cover a Body of Many Surgeries?

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2020 4:57 AM

Your own rigid definition of sitcom and anyway it's a bullshit conclusion about the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2020 4:59 AM

People never stopped wanting sitcoms; we just wanted good ones. [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] and [italic]The Nanny[/italic] cut the mustard; [italic]Friends[/italic] and [italic]Will & Grace[/italic] don't. The problem is people are afraid to laugh for fear they might hurt someone's feelings.

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2020 5:05 AM

Miley and Billy Ray will probably guest star.

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2020 8:31 AM

With her frightening plastic surgery, she's perfect for an American Horror Story: Freak Show spin-off.

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2020 2:50 PM

Dolly & Judy. A reimagining of Kate & Allie except they do share a bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2020 2:52 PM

I'm surprised Dolly never showed up on Frankie and Grace

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2020 3:00 PM

At age 74 I'm not really sure if it's a good idea for Dolly to commit to the weekly grind of a TV series. She's at that stage where she can just sit back and enjoy life rather than take on an additional workload.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote]Audiences don't want sitcoms, they want dramas full of violence and sex. There's no room for sitcoms anymore.

Mom

Big Bang Theory

Hot in Cleveland

According to Jim

Fuller House

Last Man Standing

Roseanne/The Conners

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2020 3:06 PM

Why not just do a sitcom of her film "Straight Talk"?

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote]Why not just do a sitcom of her film "Straight Talk"?

Because they are quietly negotiating with Sylvester Stallone for a TV version of "Rhinestone."

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2020 3:36 PM

Good thing you didn't offer that advice to Bea Arthur, R26.

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2020 4:04 PM

TBBT is dead and good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote]9 to 5, the sitcom! Awesome!

They tried that already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2020 7:02 PM

Bitch needs to make a guest appearance on Grace & Frankie before it ends!

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2020 7:03 PM

r16 Multi camera are called multi cams.

Sit coms are single camera.

It used to be sit coms were the multi camera variety but when more single cam comedies started being produced they received the sit com moniker.

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2020 7:08 PM

At least those of us who work in the business make this distinction in terms when we talk about shows.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2020 7:10 PM

People no longer need to be told when to laugh at a joke.

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2020 8:07 PM

Dolly should do a spread in Playboy.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2020 8:22 PM

r34 Did you just pull that out of your ass? People still use the term "sitcom." And it applies to both single-cam and multi-cam shows.

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2020 9:25 PM

Trixie Mattel would commit genocide for that wig.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2020 12:14 AM

Love Dolly, but a sitcom would the last thing I'd want from her. There were clips of a sitcom she was working on in the early (or thereabouts) 90s floating around YouTube and they were so bad it was awkward to watch. A sit-com devoid of humor, irony, raunch that once again exploited her tired self-deprication & over used boob jokes would just make the world feel sorry for her--and that's all I can see her turning out. Sure, she's brilliant when she's a participant in someone else's project, like 9 To 5, Steel Magnolias, maybe even Straight Talk. But left to her own devices her acting rivals Madonna's for most laughable track record, and I don't mean laughing with her. Every episode of Heartstrings was as awful as the worst children's programing on TBN. She has a string of made-for-television movies that feature her doing nothing more than sauntering around in tight jeans & camel toe...playing country singers. Wind Texas Wind had her playing an abused woman (...who happened to be a country singer) and the make-up applied to simulate a badly abused face was worse than Dollar Tree Halloween make-up applied with a single cotton ball. Like I said, love Dolly, but her quest to dominate the family friendly entertainment field shows how deep she's willing to dive into heartless, sterile bad taste to do it. She's never willing to break her real life character to fully commit to an acting performance with convincing depth or emotional authenticity. Her commitment is to selling "Dolly", not to individual pieces that stand separately on their own, away from that cultivated image.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2020 3:01 PM

I feel like it’s impossible to create a truly funny sitcom anymore. Everything has to be woke and a big “lesson” to teach us. Ugh, I’ll keep watching the good old stuff when a joke didn’t have to be vetted by a panel of trannies.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2020 3:33 PM

Isn't it speculated that she has lots of tattooing over her chest area to cover surgery scars? The OP pic doesn't show anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2020 3:40 PM

Maybe the storyline of two people spending years in the closet hits too close to home, R25.

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2020 11:04 AM

This will end in saline

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2020 11:21 AM

I couldn't even get through one of those Heart Strings. Terrible. I love Dolly. Stick with singing.

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2020 11:42 AM

Having been the network exec for the 90s Dolly sitcom mentioned upthread, I'm happy to report that its three count 'em three pilots and then six episodes thereafter produced (never ever aired, nor even came close) are available for free screening in my garage at home, where they've sat for 25 years. Prolly the *only* place they've sat for 25 years, too.

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2020 12:41 PM

R46...There were a few very brief clips that have appeared on YouTube. In one she's at a relative's house & the relative (sister perhaps?) is wondering whether or not Dolly should leave before she has a negative influence on the young daughter. Just as Dolly says "So you think I should go?" The young daughter comes down a flight of stairs wearing a teased wig, heels & full make-up...So predictable & so not funny.

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2020 1:39 PM

Don’t watch the Heartstrings with the dog. I’ve been warned it’s a tearjerker...

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2020 1:52 PM

For fans of Dolly, what is her appeal? She has a couple of songs I like but other than that, why do people worship her? And where is her husband??

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2020 2:14 PM

She's a survivor. I can't not but smile when I see her. Even with the plastic surgery and the ugly clothes. She's a sweetheart. Good to her fans. Wrote some good music. Netflix is trying to cash in on her loyal fan base.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2020 2:47 PM

[R47] You don't know the half of it. :) But yes, totally agree. And sums up the show.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2020 4:30 PM

I can't look at her face anymore.

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2020 5:31 PM

I would not say I worship Dolly, R49, but I do consider her the Queen of the South. She is a very talented, kind, and giving woman. Just the amount of books her organization has given to little kids is worthy of respect. I think the more relevant question is where is Judy.

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote]Just the amount of books her organization has given to little kids is worthy of respect.

Plus, she gives out millions and millions of dollars in college scholarships. And buitl Dollywood to give jobs to people who might not otherwise have access to a decent job.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2020 10:38 PM

She's doing a show where she plays Dolly Gallagher Levi, who investigates murders in Yonkers with her bumbling assistants Barnaby and Cornelius.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2020 10:40 PM

R49, aside from her great catalog of songs, her kindness, her sassy sense of humor about her own image, her unwavering support of the gay community, and the millions of dollars she gives to charity, I'd say the fact that she's done more to combat childhood illiteracy in the US than any other individual I'm aware of is a good reason to worship her. Other stars lend their names to various causes they like; Dolly set up an organization that has improved the lives and minds of millions of underprivileged children.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2020 10:52 PM

R56 I get it so she’s a very nice person but do people find her interesting? I find her kinda dull and boring. I mean she’s shrewd as a business woman and kind and generous but other than that..maybe she’s more interesting in private.

by Anonymousreply 57August 11, 2020 12:14 AM

Quite big tits.

by Anonymousreply 58August 11, 2020 12:22 AM

Considering I think Dolly spends a lot of time writing songs using her girlfriend/wife/soulmate as a sound board, she probably is more interesting. I'd like to be a fly on the wall. The woman is brilliant. It'd be like watching Monet at work.

by Anonymousreply 59August 11, 2020 2:30 AM

Yikes, Dolly's facework is starting to morph her into Whitley Streiber's "Communion" alien.

by Anonymousreply 60August 11, 2020 3:02 AM

Dolly @ Virtual PaleyFest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2020 12:26 AM

Dolly Parton's Boobs and Arms Are Covered in Secret Tattoos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2020 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!