Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pandemic produce

Has anyone else had bad luck with their fruits and veggies lately? Since March I've had onions, parsley, apples, garlic and radishes go bad very quickly. I buy them to make something and a few days later when I pull them out they look like they're past their due date. Onions in a 3 lb bag going soft in less than two weeks or black/brown inside. Radishes and apples brown inside. Parsley that turns yellow in a few days. I've had to make special trips to the store to replace stuff while I'm in the middle of cooking.

Supply chain problems?

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 7:04 PM
by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 8:08 PM

When I buy Potatoes They seem to get icky quicker. Everything else has been ok.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2020 8:09 PM

Haven't encountered this problem yet in Germany!

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2020 8:15 PM

I only buy about 5 onions a week and store in the frig partly cut ones to prevent that but I did get a batch which were going bad inside. I also only cook up my apples pretty quickly. With water and cinnamon. And then freeze them to prevent them going bad. I started that at the beginning of the lockdown so I didn't have to go shopping that often. It felt like WW II.

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2020 8:18 PM

The reason is California is the producer of over 75% of the nation's garden produce and in the Winter over 90%. Traditionally Mexican migrant workers got seasonal visas to come here and pick the produce crops.

This year due to Covid-19 they refused to come. By mid March the American consulates had lots of slots open for migrant workers and they all went unfilled, because the USA had a much higher rate of Covid-19 infection at the time.

This was predicted by many threads on here and now it's come to light.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2020 8:20 PM

It’s because Mercury is rectocranially inverted in Uranus. Have you recharged your clear quartz crystals and rebalanced your root chakra and Reiki’d your aura?

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2020 8:21 PM

I'm in California -The produce I've been getting is as good as ever.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2020 8:27 PM

I wouldn't put mercury on, not to mention in, my anus.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2020 8:28 PM

OP--YES. I live in LA and I got some great produce at the beginning of the summer but for the past 6 weeks or so it has been absolute shite. I cannot find a good cucumber to save my life. The green beans are crap. The potatoes have been ok but the onions tend to go bad VERY quickly. I don't know what's going on but it's annoying. This should be the time of year when salad vegetables are lush and plentiful.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2020 8:51 PM

R5 Do you have any links to support those claims?

According to this article, the border between the US and Mexico has been closed down since March.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2020 8:52 PM

I buy a lot of that salad in a bag stuff. I know, I know. But you get less and less in a bag these days, and yes it goes bad faster. The latter issue I guess you could chalk up to people buying it up in greater amounts at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2020 8:55 PM

I'm so tired of the pandemic produce troll.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2020 8:55 PM

Only the immature buy veggies.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2020 9:39 PM

Maybe your fridge is fucked.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2020 10:40 PM

r10

Yes, but I'm not doing your homework. Try Google you lazy ass.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2020 10:51 PM

r5 is s clever, they have to post twice in every reply!

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2020 11:08 PM

R15 I did try Google but there are no articles that support what you are claiming - which is why I asked you for citations.

Please stop talking out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 5:37 AM

Revenge of the farmlands. Give more respect.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 5:38 AM

[Quote] Come again CUNT. Maybe your fridge is fucked with help from grotesque relatives.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 6:11 AM

Who is the cunt ass at R12 here?

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2020 6:21 AM

I find produce goes bad more quickly during humid weather, even when refrigerated.

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 6:53 AM

My raspberries grew mold in two days!

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 6:58 AM

Just to be clear, this happened back in March when it went cooler after or "false spring" or under false conditions....

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 7:13 AM

[quote]store in the frig

Fridge! You store them in the FRIDGE!

To "frig" is to jerk off!

It's bad enough that "irregardless" is about to become a real word, surely we don't have to live with "frig" meaning "fridge" now, too?

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 7:40 AM

It depends, but I've noticed bagged shredded cabbage for is uniformly awful and I can't get whole heads (har har) because they're always sold out. Romaine lettuce is fine, bagged lettuce is goopy. Getting avocados is a wild adventure from start to finish. Will they be delicious or will they be little slushy brown goo bombs ready to destroy your kitchen? No man can say.

The oranges and mandarins have been looking a lot better the last few weeks, though.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 7:43 AM

[Quote]It's bad enough that "irregardless" is about to become a real word,

Who the fuck are you and why be such an ass when you are clearly brought down for being a proudly meddling ass who needs it to feel like "breathing."

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 7:45 AM

This Sunday, we were going to making filet mignon and pan seared scallops. My partner and I have decided instead of going into the store and winging it, we sit down on Sunday, plan the weeks meals, and shop for that list. It's been working out great. However, we thought corn on the cob would be nice to complement our nice Sunday dinner. Went into Safeway. 4 ears of corn for $5.99. We went to go try frozen corn on the cob. Evidently so did everyone else, as there was barely any left. We bought an 8 pack of organic 1/2 ears for $2.99. They tasted okay, but not as good a fresh. The apocalypse is upon us.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 1:15 PM

[quote]Come again CUNT. Maybe your fridge is fucked with help from grotesque relatives.

[quote]Who is the cunt ass at R12 here?

[quote]this happened back in March when it went cooler after or "false spring" or under false conditions....

[quote]you are clearly brought down for being a proudly meddling ass who needs it to feel like "breathing."

I'd love to get into a fight with you since that's so clearly what you're hoping for, but I'm sorry, I honestly can't understand anything you've said, OP.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 1:27 PM

don't know where they were grown but here in the NE I have had a lot of trouble with my vegetables. My string beans rotted from the bottom up. Strawberries from the strawberry farm were mostly the size of large raspberries. My cauliflower tops turned brown before they were even 3" wide. I think a lot has to do with the weather and climate change.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2020 1:31 PM

I've had the opposite. fancy vegetables like avocados and artichokes are practically given away.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote]Went into Safeway. 4 ears of corn for $5.99. We went to go try frozen corn on the cob. Evidently so did everyone else, as there was barely any left. We bought an 8 pack of organic 1/2 ears for $2.99. They tasted okay, but not as good a fresh. The apocalypse is upon us.

Safeway is the most absurdly overpriced grocery store where I live, apart from Whole Foods. I really don't know how they stay in business.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 7:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!