Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I miss Stranger Things this summer

I like a comfy horror series about kids or teens to watch in the summer. Is there anything good? I'm behind in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, so I guess I'll try that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 11, 2020 9:25 PM

Sabrina has some great eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2020 12:05 AM

It was getting old.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2020 12:08 AM

I couldn’t even get through the first season. I thought I’d like it since everybody did but it was so lacklustre to me.

Locke & Key was better and Stranger Things-esque, and it stars DL fave Connor Jessup:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2020 12:22 AM

Thanks I'll check out Locke & Key.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2020 12:24 AM

I guess you could watch everything Stranger Things ripped off: E.T., The Goonies, IT, Ghostbusters, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2020 12:24 AM

R5 is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2020 12:50 AM

R3 Connor Jessup playing straight is a travesty. But it's a good show and got renewed for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2020 12:51 AM

There's a STRANGER THINGS knockoff called VAST OF NIGHT that just dropped on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2020 1:34 AM

I haven't watched it yet, but VAST OF NIGHT is getting good reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2020 1:35 AM

LOCKE & KEY is so boring, derivative and children-oriented. Don't waste your time!

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2020 1:36 AM

Locke and Key suggests that small-town Massachusetts has a lot of black people, even some with British accents. And other fantasy elements.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2020 1:39 AM

Locke & Key is good, but it's very quintessentially Netflix - making it predictable at times. The Locke & Key comic book series it is based on is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2020 1:48 AM

R11 your post is bizarrely funny to me WW.

Seriously, at this point aren't the "child" actors from Stranger Things like 20 at this point. It's gonna be a tough sell to portray them as kids.

OP if you're looking for something with a horror element (and a bit of dark comedy) on Netflix, I recommend Marianne. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2020 1:53 AM

I can sometimes enjoy "children-oriented" entertainment.

For example the old movies they showed, for kids, when I was growing up. Like the Haley Mills adventure stories, and adventure movies from the 40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2020 1:54 AM

You'd probably like Merlin, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2020 1:58 AM

By the way, the last season of Sabrina sucked. Like really really sucked. There's random musical that sounds like some shit from Glee.

Michelle Gomez is the only good actor on the whole show. She carries it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2020 1:59 AM

I LOVE it

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2020 2:00 AM

R5 don’t forget Scanners in that list

Also I’m going to go against the grain and say Locke and Key should be skipped. The comics were okay but the show was just god awful and made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2020 2:03 AM

vast of night is good but its a movie and kind of an "art movie".

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2020 2:07 AM

Vast of Night is fantastic. But yes, very much a dark chamber piece. The two leads are brilliant and have huge careers ahead of them.

I’ve always hated Stranger Things. It’s an empty, cliche-ridden 80s look book and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2020 2:23 AM

Watch IT Parts 1 & 2. It even has Scream Queen Finn Wolfhard.

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2020 4:27 AM

Here's a good, little STRANGER THINGS knockoff:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2020 4:29 AM

Yeah I saw IT. Enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2020 4:30 AM

I hope Will comes out this season. The poor writers probably had to rewrite everything because of the delays in filming. MBB is already showing her tits on Instagram

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2020 4:34 AM

I hope Millie Bobby Brown doesn't turn out like Emma Watson, just a one trick pony with the acting skills of a 2x4.

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2020 4:49 AM

Millie Bobby Brown seems like trash and I doubt she could graduate from Brown and be taken somewhat seriously as a glamorpuss spokesperson for UN type causes.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2020 4:51 AM

Whew! What a relief R26.

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2020 4:53 AM

There was one shot in Pittsburgh about a girl who has telekenisis. It was on Netflix. I forgot the name.

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2020 4:58 AM

Freaks R28?

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2020 5:12 AM

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? You mean the show:

- Whose first gay character is promptly killed and eventually it is discovered that he was sent to hell?

- Whose second gay character is an irredeemable bully who is blackmailed for his sexual orientation?

- Whose third and last gay character is finally portrayed in a positive light, only to wind up falling for a girl who "identifies as a man"*?

You mean that woke homophobic show?

*this is starting to become a homophobic trope. See: Faking It, Shameless (US), etc.

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2020 5:35 AM

Stand by Me It Part 1 Lady in White Mud beasts of the southern wild

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2020 5:58 AM

I've never seen a show with that many uglies. Who did the casting? Obviously, not any one of us. Maybe a lesbian. They like ugly.

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2020 7:12 AM

Watch this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2020 7:42 AM

I Am Not Okay With This, r28?

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2020 7:44 AM

R22 Summer Of 84 was a fairly generic horror movie. The last third was a punch to the gut though.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2020 12:58 PM

[quote] I like a comfy horror series about kids or teens to watch in the summer.

Then watch Trump-dictated school reopening.

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2020 1:02 PM

Super 8 was terrible. Such a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2020 2:39 PM

OP, you'd missing it with or without Covid. They only started filming in the beginning of March, which was expected to go until October. I would be more concerned missing it next summer.

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2020 2:40 PM

That was it R34

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2020 4:31 PM

I liked a show called Dark on netflix. Head trippy , teens , sci fi only 3 seasons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2020 4:33 PM

R40 yes the German show - I watched - it was good. Also the French on about the ancient forest creature.

by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2020 4:42 PM

^Black Spot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2020 4:46 PM

R42 yes I created the thread on DL about it. But forgot the title. S2 not as good as S1. They should bring it back and beef up the story for the Tavern keeper.

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2020 4:48 PM

Yes, r43 - I enjoyed S1 of Black Spot but thought the season finale was a bit of a letdown. Watched the first two episodes of Season 2 and lost interest. I liked the gay deputy sidekick the best.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2020 5:08 PM

Raising Isaiah is good but it it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up next season.

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2020 7:45 PM

I liked "I Am Not Okay With This." Kind of a similar retro vibe, although it's present day. Really enjoyed the lead actress.

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2020 8:28 PM

Do you mean Raising Dion ?

by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2020 8:34 PM

Sorry R47. Yes. Not sure where I got Isaiah from. Last hurricane, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2020 8:39 PM

It Chapter Two is shockingly violent. Not a comfy summer horror flic!

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2020 10:25 PM

[Quote] Not sure where I got Isaiah from. Last hurricane, maybe.

Or the movie Losing Isaiah with Jessica Lange and Halle Berry 😆

[Quote] It Chapter Two is shockingly violent. Not a comfy summer horror flic!

The opening scene still rubs me the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2020 3:29 AM

Yeah, that opening scene was brutal.

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2020 5:33 AM

I enjoyed the OA (it had teen characters), but apparently I was one of only 10 people who did.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2020 5:47 AM

Isn't OA the one that had a season and 2 years or more later another? I remember watching season 1 and doing a "wtf was that about?" and then lost interest so by the time season 2 came out I was apathetic. Did they wrap up the mission or whatever they were supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2020 6:12 PM

what was the purpose of the hideously violent gay bashing that opens It Part Two?

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2020 6:56 PM

R54, that was included in King's novel, although it wasn't the opening scene if I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2020 7:04 PM

Is Dr. Sleep any good? I watched a bit last night. Up until adult Danny meets the teenaged girl but it was moving so slow I got bored. Does it pick up?

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2020 7:49 PM

Where can one see Dr. Sleep? I missed that in theaters. Streaming anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2020 8:13 PM

R56 Watch the Director's Cut of Dr. Sleep. It's longer, but gives much more insight into Danny. I wish the whole movie had been a dark character study of PTSD Danny, and ditched the cheesy psychic vampires plot.

by Anonymousreply 58August 9, 2020 8:18 PM

I've watched all of Stranger Things mostly because the HusBear wants to see it. But it's irritating and as others have said, it's gets old, REALLY fast. And the fat kid with the curly hair and speech impairment and the asshole black kid make it worse, for me. They're both irritating dicks and make it age even quicker. (Especially the stupid fat with with the fucked up mouth. WHO thought this kid was somehow "cute" and could act? I want to kick that kid in his nuts every time he repeats a line.)

by Anonymousreply 59August 9, 2020 8:23 PM

R57 I watched it on HBOMax FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 60August 9, 2020 8:25 PM

I'd like to see Summer of 84 but so far i only see it on Google Play.

by Anonymousreply 61August 9, 2020 8:26 PM

R53, yes. The OA took almost two years in between seasons, and Season 2 was like a druggy trip. It didn't really wrap up because I believe the writers were banking on a few more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 62August 9, 2020 8:28 PM

A fun movie is Alien Trespass with Eric McCormack. A fun sci fi homage to the 50's B movies.

by Anonymousreply 63August 9, 2020 8:29 PM

[Quote] what was the purpose of the hideously violent gay bashing that opens It Part Two?

The bashing was in the book too, but the problem is they never really follow up on it.

by Anonymousreply 64August 9, 2020 11:55 PM

I somewhat watched Summer of 84 yesterday while I was deep cleaning my kitchen. It's very easy to follow without being glued to the screen. The ending is will horrify kids, that's for sure. I have some quibbles but I won't spoil the story.

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2020 12:41 AM

The gay guy who gets bashed uses an inhaler, and I thought the scene had some kind of time/space connection to our characters, but I finished the movie today and I didn't find the connection. It's gratuitous and weird. Is something lost in cuts? Did I not pay attention?

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2020 12:43 AM

more on the gay bashing. I guess the theme is bullying, bullies, but It eats the gay guy's head off. And the gay guy stood up to bullies. So it's some kind of mirror morality or....? Just sloppy and gross.

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2020 12:47 AM

I watched the directors cut of Doctor Sleep today. It's is good, though I was confused at all the house of mirrors - is it real - at the end.

by Anonymousreply 68August 11, 2020 1:42 AM

I started watching The Americans (finally!). I like it, but I feel like I should be more into that I really am. Something about it feels small or lacking. Does it get better? Keri Russell's acting does leave something to be desired but I don't think that's it...

by Anonymousreply 69August 11, 2020 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!