Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Haven't They Banned Soul Man Yet?

The infamous 80's comedy starring C. Thomas Howell. Still available on DVD and surprisingly digital HD from Amazon. Is it only a matter of time or is it a matter of not many people having heard of this movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 5:00 AM

It's a social satire that mocks the racism and entitlement of white yuppies. I think people were more offended at C. Thomas Howell's terrible makeup job and the stupidity of the other characters who actually believed he was a real black man. C. Thomas is a cutie and has a long list of credits on IMDB with like 10 credits for 2019 alone, so his career never got that affected.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2020 4:39 AM

Ban? Since when do we have a banned list of movies?

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2020 4:45 AM

The US doesn't have banned movies unless it's something illegal. Even Song of The South can still be found online.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2020 4:47 AM

I like Soul Man. It wasn’t derogatory.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2020 5:08 AM

Rae Dawn Chong was the Zoe Kravitz of the 1980s. Marginally talented biracial chick who was marketable to the masses and had Hollywood connections through her parents

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2020 5:10 AM

C Thomas tapped that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2020 5:10 AM

C. Thomas Homeless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2020 4:23 PM

I loved C. Thomas Howell as Ponyboy.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2020 4:27 PM

Soul Man was so horrible. Even when I saw in theatres in the 80s I knew it was awful. But weirdly because as a group we couldn't agree on what to see, we ended up seeing it twice.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2020 4:32 PM

It was cringe, but he did learn his lesson in the end.

Maybe that’s why?

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2020 4:34 PM

Pass for white?

Okay.

Have a 100% black production company?

Great.

Have African Americans play characters written as white?

Perfect.

Black performers in white face ridiculing whites?

Hilarious.

Oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2020 4:36 PM

There were tons of these types of movies. Didn't the Wayan brothers go whiteface and play women in White Chicks? Or what about Robert Downey Jr doing blackface in Tropic Thunder? That wasn't even all that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2020 4:42 PM

C. Thomas did not pass for a black man at all in this movie. Maybe Australian Aboriginal or Indian or Pacific Islander but not definitely black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2021 1:56 AM

OP, you've yet to answer the question. How could the government ban this? It cannot ban films unless they pose a threat to US security--that's not how the 1st Amendment works.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2021 1:59 AM

Ladybugs with Jonathan Brandis.

I'd kill myself too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2021 2:03 AM

Minus the race aspect, Soul Man was essentially Tootsie. Rae Dawn was a single mother. Melora Hardin was a combination of Teri Garr and Geena Davis. James Earl Jones was in the Charles Durning role, minus the love aspect.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2021 2:11 AM

Classic film!

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2021 2:31 AM

R1 you really think the dumb shits of today “get” that?

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2021 2:35 AM

Or that Wayan brothers movie "White Chicks"?

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 7:46 PM

The same people who made that movie made my show. If he can become Black, then so can I!

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 7:47 PM

There was a movie made in 1970 called Watermelon Man. It was on Amazon Prime for awhile and it has a white car salesman waking up as a black man. I saw it around the same time that Soul Man came out and it was a much better film though more crudely produced.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 7:55 PM

No young people know about it. (Very stupid movie.)

Just this morning I was talking about Steve Martin’s “The Jerk” and how all those scenes with his black family wouldn’t have been made. I’m cracking up just thinking about it.

And then those Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movies. Good stuff. Those were actually funny b

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 8:00 PM

C. Thomas Howell was a beautiful man before the tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 8:21 PM

Between Soul Man, Just One of the Guys, and Mrs. Doubtfire, one could argue my childhood list of favorite movies was...problematic.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 8:27 PM

C. Thomas is active on Instagram and he loves taking selfies. I think he's still handsome but the beard has to go. It makes him looks 74 instead of 54. He still active as a cowboy and runs a ranch. So he is in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 4:04 AM

How about Black Like Me?

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 4:17 AM

Isn't C. Thomas Howell doing a lot of those mockbuster action schlock from Asylum Films, direct to video? Most of them are really difficult to get through.

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 4:51 AM

I remember someone said that Wes from How to Get Away with Murder looked like C. Thomas in Soul Man...

and I can't unsee it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 5:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!