Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Weird Canadian Shit

Since we're sticking to a theme tonight...

I mostly just wanted to post this video of Canadian conservative politicians butchering French like it's what's for dinner tonight.

Forcing politicians to pretend to speak a language they obviously don't is a bizarre pastime. What does that accomplish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2020 4:14 AM

Unabashed hypocrisy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2020 4:48 AM

Guy in the green tie at 1:00 in the OP is straight up just speaking English.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2020 4:50 AM

How many American politicians butcher Spanish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2020 4:50 AM

So which English speaking politician speaks the best french?

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2020 4:53 AM

Those Frenchies need to secede. They're the French tail wagging the Canadian dog.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2020 4:54 AM

Canada's Covid stats would be much better without Quebec. Try distinguishing your society in more healthful ways.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2020 4:58 AM

Oh yeah, there is Trudeau and his blackface habit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2020 5:01 AM

There's a town in Ontario who convinced themselves in the 90s that a tornado had hit a drive-in movie during a showing of Twister- and had ripped through the screen right when the twister touches down in the movie!

It didn't actually happen, but the fact that the whole town somehow agreed that it did is both charming and strange as hell.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2020 5:08 AM

I'm more embarrassing than a Prime Minister in blackface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2020 5:11 AM

The only thing that stands out to me about Canada is the french fries, cheese and gravy. I just can't wrap my head around it. Fries w/ranch yes, fries w/gravy maybe, fries with cheese sure, and add bacon! But I can't imagine fries with cheese and gravy.

I understand though how some American food seems weird. PBJ sandwiches are weird, but so good to me.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2020 5:22 AM

Canadians have Canadian Thanksgiving, celebrated almost two months apart from American Thanksgiving. Both holidays are made up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2020 5:32 AM

Hmm, I guess Canada really is boring.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2020 7:07 AM

They way they say “soorry” and “aboot”.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2020 7:22 AM

Milk bags. Toronto has them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2020 7:27 AM

Milk bags

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2020 7:29 AM

I knew a Canadian family growing up (in the U.S.) who ate raw sliced tomato on the side of every meal I ever ate at their house.

That's weird. They were also of Eastern European extraction, so maybe it's a weird slavic thing. Idk.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2020 5:54 PM

Gasoline by the liter.

Loonies and toonies.

Simultaneous Substitution (“simsub”)

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2020 5:57 PM

R18 I'd eat raw sliced tomatoes with every meal except their seasonal where I live.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2020 6:19 PM

R18 Are you Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2020 7:45 PM

r17, yeah, I totally forgot about simsub. It only bothered me during NFL Super Bowl broadcasts. All the network, multimillion dollar commercials were replaced with local market advertising. At least that was the case in the Canadian podunk I was living in at the time. This was before you could watch all the Superbowl ads online, so it was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2020 7:56 PM

R20 wow, that would definitely be weird.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote] I knew a Canadian family growing up (in the U.S.) who ate raw sliced tomato on the side of every meal I ever ate at their house.

I think it’s a Maritimes thing. I can remember visiting grandparents in New Brunswick and that was common, also sliced cucumbers with a dash on vinegar on them.

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2020 4:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!