Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michelle Obama says she has 'low-grade depression'

Former US First Lady Michelle Obama has said she is suffering from "low-grade depression" because of the pandemic, racial injustice and the "hypocrisy" of the Trump administration.

"These are not, they are not fulfilling times, spiritually," Mrs Obama said. "I know that I am dealing with some form of low-grade depression.

"Not just because of the quarantine, but because of the racial strife, and just seeing this administration, watching the hypocrisy of it, day in and day out, is dispiriting."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 15, 2020 4:00 AM

Join the club, Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 1August 6, 2020 6:47 AM

She ain't wrong. It grinds you down (which is part of the point of it all).

by Anonymousreply 2August 6, 2020 6:48 AM

Most rational people do feel a bit depressed right now. The state of the nation is a mess thanks to the inept Trump administration, GOP congress, and their mishandling of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 3August 6, 2020 6:49 AM

I'm right there with you, Michelle, potentially on the brink of moderate-grade depression.

by Anonymousreply 4August 6, 2020 6:49 AM

Really? She has it great. WTF is she whining about? This looks so bad. There are millions who really have it bad but they don't have time for any grade depression - they just have to soldier on.

by Anonymousreply 5August 6, 2020 6:52 AM

That's a good descriptor. Instead of bringing us together we have some wannabe Mafioso trying to tear the country apart while he loots it.

by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2020 7:20 AM

Every day, I have to work to convince myself it's worth waking up to face another day.

I give Michelle a lot of credit to even allude to the mental health toll of the pandemic.

God knows Dump wouldn't let Melania dare.

by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2020 7:26 AM

[quote]God knows Dump wouldn't let Melania dare.

That Slovenian trick isn't depressed, she's sullen.

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2020 7:34 AM

She’s doing better than most of us if she just has low-grade depression.

by Anonymousreply 9August 6, 2020 7:35 AM

R5 is dumb as a stump and needs to DIAGF.

by Anonymousreply 10August 6, 2020 7:41 AM

I miss them. Their warmth and stability.

by Anonymousreply 11August 6, 2020 8:13 AM

I am totally glad she is speaking out about depression because right now so many Americans are suffering but afraid to say anything for fear of looking weak.

by Anonymousreply 12August 6, 2020 8:38 AM

When the rich, entitled, privileged tell you they don't feel well ...

by Anonymousreply 13August 6, 2020 8:48 AM

That gives cause for low-grade concern.

by Anonymousreply 14August 6, 2020 8:57 AM

I'm glad she admitted that she's struggling too, though no doubt Fox News assholes will go to town with "whining privileged Michelle!"

by Anonymousreply 15August 6, 2020 9:01 AM

She sounds like Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 16August 6, 2020 9:03 AM

Does she still have keys to the White House?

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2020 9:04 AM

Suck it up gurl, it's easier for you with all the advantages you have.

by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2020 9:08 AM

Mrs. Obama should make the rounds of the homeless and charitable organizations to see people who are truly suffering due to the pandemic rather than run her privileged whiny ass mouth.

by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2020 9:22 AM

[quote] run her privileged whiny ass mouth.

Sounds like her Mamie speaking, after a shot or two.

by Anonymousreply 20August 6, 2020 9:28 AM

what did she have did to her face? cause she dint use to llook lik dat....

by Anonymousreply 21August 6, 2020 9:45 AM

She’s right. And all the trolls attacking her here are just that: TROLLS.

by Anonymousreply 22August 6, 2020 10:02 AM

She could stop this right now. Announce she’s the running mate. They win easily. She resigns and Joe reappoints another VP.

No whining unless you do something about it, Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 23August 6, 2020 10:11 AM

Time for bed, R23. You’re getting silly.

by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2020 10:46 AM

I can’t believe you people dissing her and calling her entitled. Unlike everyone in the current WH the Obama’s actually worked their way to success. That is not entitlement. They may be rich now but they now what it’s like to be less well off and they still experience racism.

by Anonymousreply 25August 6, 2020 10:53 AM

she said "schedule is key" to managing these feelings - and that maintaining a routine has become even more important to her in the pandemic.

I agree that schedule is key.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 6, 2020 12:34 PM

We don't deserve her.

God, I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 27August 6, 2020 12:37 PM

She's beginning to look like Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 28August 6, 2020 12:39 PM

R27 You voted them out.

by Anonymousreply 29August 6, 2020 12:39 PM

We did not vote them out r29. President Obama could not be elected to a third term.

by Anonymousreply 30August 6, 2020 12:41 PM

Oh shut up. It’s a tell tale sign of someone with too much money and power when Trump’s daily activities have such a drastic effect on their mental health. It speaks to a level of privilege if the biggest problem in their lives is Trump’s Axios interview.

Go out and work a day in the fucking pandemic. Then you’ll get some low grade depression. Fortunately, you won’t have to because you got a ridiculously high book advance for sucking the dick of someone powerful and telling kids to eat vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 31August 6, 2020 12:42 PM

You could have had Hillary. But no. You voted in Trump, R30.

by Anonymousreply 32August 6, 2020 12:50 PM

[quote] We don't deserve her. God, I miss them.

Trump is Obama's legacy to the nation.

by Anonymousreply 33August 6, 2020 12:53 PM

No r32, you certainly shouldn't.

And I am eternally sorry that I bothered to respond to you.

by Anonymousreply 34August 6, 2020 12:59 PM

She should leave her huge $15 million house by the sea on Martha's Vineyard--all that exclusive privilege would make anyone depressed. I'll do a home exchange with her--she can summer in my 1 bedroom apartment here in suburban DC.

by Anonymousreply 35August 6, 2020 1:03 PM

Poor people always think that money somehow makes you impervious to mental health issues. You could move into her $15 million house tomorrow, R35, and you’d just be a miserable asshole staying in a $15 million house.

by Anonymousreply 36August 6, 2020 1:11 PM

To feed you soul, you need more than money.

by Anonymousreply 37August 6, 2020 1:16 PM

I’m surprised and disappointed to hear she said this. She seemed so down to earth and free of all the spiritual/wellness wankery that plagues today’s culture. Immensely wealthy people seem to think saying these things makes them just like us, even though they know full well they aren’t and would never want to be. If they once were then they should know to not play that game. Seems that, after a while, time spent in the echo chamber of immense wealth allows self indulgence to be confused with self awareness.

It was a bad sign when she kicked off a podcast by interviewing her husband. Not exactly challenging.

by Anonymousreply 38August 6, 2020 1:20 PM

No, I wouldn't be miserable in Michelle's MV mansion. I'd be taking long walks along the shore, shutting down all broadcast and social media, and fall asleep with the window open listening to the waves at night.

I'd still be an asshole, yes, but I wouldn't be depressed.

by Anonymousreply 39August 6, 2020 1:25 PM

Lots of angry white people on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 40August 6, 2020 1:46 PM

and why not?

by Anonymousreply 41August 6, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote]Really? She has it great. WTF is she whining about?

Perhaps she's "whining" that this country has turned into a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 42August 6, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote] Poor people always think that money somehow makes you impervious to mental health issues. You could move into her $15 million house tomorrow, [R35], and you’d just be a miserable asshole staying in a $15 million house.

Sounds like Meghan at R36, referring to the poorsand what they "always think."

by Anonymousreply 43August 6, 2020 1:49 PM

It sounds like she is trivializing depression. Is low-grade depression like low-grade fever? For people who have serious problems (i.e., those who are barely clinging on to the bottom rungs of Maslow's Hierarchy), this does seem a tad out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 44August 6, 2020 1:52 PM

No, R44. There actually is such a thing as low-grade depression.

by Anonymousreply 45August 6, 2020 1:55 PM

[quote]No, I wouldn't be miserable in Michelle's MV mansion. I'd be taking long walks along the shore, shutting down all broadcast and social media, and fall asleep with the window open listening to the waves at night.

Not to mention the hot man next to her.

by Anonymousreply 46August 6, 2020 2:00 PM

Well there's the other thing too. Her husband created half this mess himself. Trump is the result of more than just resentment at the black man in the White House. (Although that was 75% of it.) A number of strategic errors by Obama made for what followed.

• Wouldn't get his hands dirty with the hard work of engaging Congress (yes, even the enemies), while at the same time being more aggressive when he needed to be. Too worried about the eventual biography. More carrot, more stick.

• Gave the culprits of the global financial crisis a pass (hell, he put Geithner in the administration!) which created a lot of the resentment of the lower middle class that Trump exploited.

• Didn't create a national Democratic party of multiple talents and high-profile young leaders, with a succession plan beyond Hillary or Joe. It was an 'all Obama, all the time' Democratic party, which is why Kamala Harris is the only Gen X leader of note and after that you get Mayor Pete.

• Absolutely bungled foreign policy - from Arab Spring to letting Putin accumulate more and more power. Both needed more forceful intervention, one to build, the other to bust.

So I can only feel partially sympathetic to Michelle for feeling a bit blue. Yes they were awful to her (and him), but for fucks sake going high all the time doesn't work if they're fucking kneecapping you, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 47August 6, 2020 2:08 PM

The idea that Obama is to blame for the shitshow of the past four years is absurd.

Blame Trump. Blame the complicit Republican Party. Blame an infantilised media that legitimises the ill-informed opinions of deplorables in Bumfucke. Blame decades of an encroaching privatisation in the education system that is failed to instil in its population an ability to be critically informed.

BO was far from perfect - the expansion of drone warfare under his leadership is a huge blemish. But for eight years he did his best, took the country with him, and did it all with dignity and sincerity and compassion. In all of Trump's 74 cruel years, he has never once been any of those things.

by Anonymousreply 48August 6, 2020 2:22 PM

R47 well if Hillary Clinton wasn't so fucking arrogant during the 2016 election, her ass would have one. This has nothing to do with president Obama.

This is squarely on Clinton for being a bad candidate and all of that Clinton baggage. Her ass should have never run in 2016, she should have sat her ass down and stayed out of politics. Hillary gets blame for this too.

by Anonymousreply 49August 6, 2020 2:23 PM

R49 Wone.

by Anonymousreply 50August 6, 2020 2:25 PM

Michelle Obama has an attention deficit issue... i.e., she needs some camera time.

Sorry, but she is incredibly wealthy, beloved, famous, beautiful children...the husband! There are/will be statues erected in her honor, buildings that will bear her name. She will live in history. She's lead a fortunate and, yes, privileged life. She will never want, lives in multiple mansions, is a beautiful, intelligent woman who is waited on, applauded, lauded, and protected everywhere she goes....

I take two antidepressant medications daily, I can't afford insurance once my COBRA plan expires, have lost my job, and worry about losing my house next. Sorry, Michelle. But I think you're good.

by Anonymousreply 51August 6, 2020 2:30 PM

Be lucky it’s “low grade”. What I think she should’ve said was situational depression.

by Anonymousreply 52August 6, 2020 2:34 PM

Gay white men love attacking Michelle Obama. But give Hillary Clinton a pass at every turn. This is why people can't be real.

by Anonymousreply 53August 6, 2020 2:40 PM

Yes, Michelle, you’re not allowed to experience depression until you’re as broke as R51. The nerve of this woman for actually being human despite the fact that she is a millionaire who sleeps in a bed with Barack Obama every night.

Let me tell you folks something. You may love Barack cause you get to see him on TV every once in a while and you remember his speeches fondly, but try LIVING WITH HIM for an extended period of time, hearing him fart and burp and picking up his dirty socks and draws and putting them in the hamper despite the countless number of times you asked him to do it, then see how much you adore his ass then. He’s just a normal man who digs boogers out of his nose like everybody else, not some God who uplifts everyone in his orbit with his mere presence.

by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2020 2:43 PM

I cant stand her for getting all kissy huggy with a war Criminal. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 55August 6, 2020 2:44 PM

R55 Its called being polite and diplomatic. She can't be openly hostile towards a former president especially her being a former first lady.

They're both american political figures on the world stage and they have to carry themselves accordingly. What else is she supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 56August 6, 2020 2:53 PM

R53, go find yourself a grease fire and jump in.

by Anonymousreply 57August 6, 2020 2:58 PM

R56' You can be diplomatic without hugging up on someone. I never saw Laura Bush hugging up on President Clinton or Melania hugging up on Obama.

She likes him and doesn't care if he killed thousands of people. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 58August 6, 2020 2:59 PM

Isn't this another "Ellen felt like living in a prison" speech? And I thought DLers usually hates it when a wealthy frau talk about their "problems" .

by Anonymousreply 59August 6, 2020 3:06 PM

R57 You first Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 60August 6, 2020 3:06 PM

Mine was low-grade too, until my 24 year old son relapsed on heroin during COVID, after nearly 3 years clean and having a baby son of his own. (Who deserves none of this). Now it's full blown.

by Anonymousreply 61August 6, 2020 3:07 PM

Just get a bucket of fried chicken love! Always cheers me up! Gayle’s lady bumps are a second fav.

by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2020 3:10 PM

R62 AIDS said hello.

by Anonymousreply 63August 6, 2020 3:26 PM

R54, not to mention his clipped way of speaking and how it takes him a month to finish a sentence.

Must be annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 64August 6, 2020 3:29 PM

R59, Ellen can’t get away with that Michelle can because She’s not black and fierce like Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 65August 6, 2020 3:35 PM

Michelle Obama is the Beyonce and Oprah Winfrey of first ladies.

That's why she so popular. She's also the richest first lady too. I believe her book sold more then any former presidents in American history, and she's just the first lady. Not to mention that rumored $100million dollars she and her husband was paid by Netflix and the arena tour she went on and now a podcast.

Michelle is everything Hillary Clinton wanted to be when it comes to making money. The Clintons cannot touch the Obamas and the Clintons are mad about it, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 66August 6, 2020 3:41 PM

R66 Hillary and Bill have done quite nicely for themselves...

by Anonymousreply 67August 6, 2020 3:49 PM

The obamas are lucky. They’re the only president and First Lady that are completely beyond reproach and can avoid cririticism using the black race card. Anyone who questioned The Obama admin was shamed as a racist by CNN, And the rest of the corporate outlets.

by Anonymousreply 68August 6, 2020 3:53 PM

All you white folks on this thread need to check your privilege, listen to this WOC, and SHUT THE FUCK UP!

- Woke Gay Guy

by Anonymousreply 69August 6, 2020 3:54 PM

The 20 account troll is doing her thing today.

by Anonymousreply 70August 6, 2020 3:56 PM

R67 They have, but not as good as the Obamas have. The Obamas are collecting Kardashian level paydays at one time. The Clintons can't demand what they use to get anymore. Newsweek did a huge write up on the Clintons last year about how they are not really sought after the way they use to be, nor can they demand the high speaking salaries of the past any longer either. The Clintons are old news now.

It's all about the Obamas now. The Clintons couldn't even sell out they're Arena tour, "An evening with the Clintons" is what it was called. Trying to copy Michelle Obama's arena book tour which was completely sold out at ever stop. The Obamas are big $$$ the Clintons not so much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 71August 6, 2020 3:56 PM

Go back to sleep woke gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 72August 6, 2020 3:56 PM

Michelle’s daughter worked in the office of a known rapist. She’s some mom.

by Anonymousreply 73August 6, 2020 3:59 PM

Hillary Clinton was friends with that same rapist. Some presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 74August 6, 2020 4:00 PM

R71 if that’s what it takes for you to admire someone, then I’m not surprised Trump got elected.

by Anonymousreply 75August 6, 2020 4:01 PM

R74, I don’t like her either.

by Anonymousreply 76August 6, 2020 4:02 PM

R75 You got that all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 77August 6, 2020 4:03 PM

After Trump and the pandemic, anyone who has not had some form of depression or anxiety over the pasty year is either a sociopath or a narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 78August 6, 2020 4:04 PM

I've been dealing with depression my entire life and I'm only 32. God only knows how many more years I'll have on this earth dealing with depression. But I always say there's other people who have it way worse.

But I am generally a happy optimistic person, that's what keeps me going. Coming on this site is probably not the best thing for my mental health though. Some times this place can trigger me, but I do enjoy some of the threads which is why I keep coming back. Maybe it's time for me to take another long break from DL, this site can be pretty toxic at times.

by Anonymousreply 79August 6, 2020 4:08 PM

I agree that it has been bad lately R79.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2020 4:12 PM

Election years are always bad on DL aren’t they.

by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2020 4:15 PM

I wonder if Empty Nest Syndrome has something to do with this also.

by Anonymousreply 82August 6, 2020 4:30 PM

The misconception that money equals happiness and that wealthy people shouldn't be experiencing mental health issues is completely flabbergasting to me. Are gay men really that ignorant and superficial to think that if you are wealthy, you won't be deeply disturbed by racism, a pandemic, corrupt government, massive unemployment, etc.

by Anonymousreply 83August 6, 2020 8:04 PM

The trolls here are so transparent, it's laughable.

If you [italic]aren't[/italic] feeling depressed or anxious about the state of the world right now, there is something very likely wrong with [italic]you[/italic]. It's glaringly tone-deaf to claim she's too "privileged" to be affected by 2020, or that she's culpable somehow for not, what, exactly?? Saving our asses like she's Wonder Woman? This woman who 35-40% of the country call an ape, a man in drag, or worse?

Her critics here are just trolls being trolls. Ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]The misconception that money equals happiness and that wealthy people shouldn't be experiencing mental health issues is completely flabbergasting to me.

This mindset conveniently advances the stigma of mental illness AND demonizes the poor as "crazy," all by framing it through a classist lens. A trifecta of garbage takes from the fetid minds of DL's trolls.

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2020 8:22 PM

Gawd, there are lots of racist GOP kweens on DL.

by Anonymousreply 86August 6, 2020 8:30 PM

Nice seeing Boris at R68.

by Anonymousreply 87August 6, 2020 8:38 PM

R13 she and her husband have become rich through sheer hard work and intellect. They were hardly born with silver spoons in their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 88August 6, 2020 8:44 PM

It’s not about her suffering from ‘low level depression’ it’s about her thinking it warrants mentioning. Yes, like Ellen complaining about lockdown and all the other privileged fucks bleating about it. There are people who have no idea if they will be employed next month. There are people who could not bury their loved ones properly. Feeling down because the world is fucked happens. It’s not a tragedy. It’s a perfectly natural reaction. And yes, it happens to immensely wealthy people. But anyone who says their wealth and, in this case, international standing doesn’t insulate them from the shit Joe and Joanne Schmoe are experiencing is being disingenuous at best.

These people have power. They should do something. Speaking engagements ( hey there Harry ! ) don’t mean shit. Other than being nice little earners.

These people do not care about you other than in some abstract manner occasionally. That differentiates them from the ones that don’t care at all. Wake the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 89August 6, 2020 8:54 PM

Preach, R89!

by Anonymousreply 90August 6, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote] She sounds like Meghan Markle.

Exactly. This is not how you go about empathizing with those struggling with situational depression.

by Anonymousreply 91August 6, 2020 9:06 PM

Read the room, Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 92August 6, 2020 9:07 PM

R88, Obama grew up quite wealthy with his grandparents in Hawaii. His mother worked for the CIA.

by Anonymousreply 93August 6, 2020 9:08 PM

The white gays on here are so stupid. The fact that a former First Lady has the guts to call out Dump shows just how much he has fucked up the general atmosphere of this country. But instead of giving her credit for saying what so many of us think, the white gays want to bitch about her being rich, even though she never said anything about money and as if rich people can’t get depression too.🙄 And guess what assholes? Like it or not, rich people are usually the ones with a platform to speak up for others, so why are you bashing her for using her platform to speak up for so many of us?

by Anonymousreply 94August 6, 2020 9:09 PM

Also, the fact that 2008-2016 were relatively peaceful years in America and in just 4 years has become a miserable shithole is enough to depress any decent human being, regardless of their status.

by Anonymousreply 95August 6, 2020 9:11 PM

This woman was called out because she wore sleeveless dresses and was called angry and racist, not to mention gorilla and several other choice names. Meanwhile I can tell you what our current first lady's tits and pussy look like. Who can't understand why she's ticked and depressed about the hypocrisy of it all.

by Anonymousreply 96August 6, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote]She’s right. And all the trolls attacking her here are just that: TROLLS.

More like [bold]troll[/bold]

R13, R16, R18, R19, R20, R26, R29, R32, R33 etc, etc ad nauseum--all the same poster with a MO hate-boner

by Anonymousreply 97August 6, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote] Feeling down because the world is fucked happens. It’s not a tragedy. It’s a perfectly natural reaction.

So why are you so stridently criticizing someone for this "perfectly natural reaction?"

[quote]There are people who have no idea if they will be employed next month. There are people who could not bury their loved ones properly.

Why do you think these facts are somehow disconnected from people's fears and sadness? Do you realize that a lot of the people who share Michelle Obama's depression and anxiety are sad about these very things happening them or their loved ones? Do you see those folks as somehow completely separate from someone who is depressed right now?

Are you aware that the wealthy and the not wealthy are capable of the same range of emotions? Really wondering here.

[quote]Yes, like Ellen complaining about lockdown and all the other privileged fucks bleating about it.

I'm sorry, but admitting you are struggling with the blues is not the same as saying being cooped up in your mansion or yacht is some great tragedy. You are willfully conflating completely different sentiments, and only because you see all of these people as "privileged" and therefore "bad." That's actually not how privilege works.

[quote]But anyone who says their wealth and, in this case, international standing doesn’t insulate them from the shit Joe and Joanne Schmoe are experiencing is being disingenuous at best.

Can you copy/paste these remarks where Michelle Obama claimed “wealth and, in this case, international standing doesn’t insulate” her from…”Joe and Joanne Schmoe shit?”

[quote]These people have power. They should do something.

She is doing something; she’s speaking about mental illness, trying to demonstrate that no one is really insulated from it, and offering advice like “stick to a schedule.” She’s actually trying to destigmatize mental illness. She's actually using her privilege in the same way you accuse her of NOT using it, which is, well, mentally ill.

What exactly are you trying to do? Beside promote blatant classism and shame people for talking about their feelings during one of the most tragic and horrifying periods in any person's living memory? And using a figure who polarizes the far right from the center and left, no less. Nice work, Troll.

[quote]Speaking engagements ( hey there Harry ! ) don’t mean shit.

“Harry?” Who is “Harry?” Are you seriously bringing Prince Harry into this?

Because of course you connect MO to Meghan. Because they're all the same, amirite?

Are you okay? You seem very upset that Michelle Obama said something. I wonder why that is.

by Anonymousreply 98August 6, 2020 9:18 PM

I'm always bewildered when rich people are sad. All my sadness concerns money problems. Otherwise I'm fairly chipper.

If I had the security of millions in the bank I'd be on Cloud 9.

by Anonymousreply 99August 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Thinking personal wealth is all you need to be happy is a pretty clear indication of a selfish world view. People posting the sentiments are exactly the type who would complain about how oppressive it is to quarantine in a mansion with oodles of money, if they were rich. Clearly other people's problems don't bother you if you think personal wealth is all you need to feel better.

Some of us actually care about people besides ourselves. Unless you're Jeff Bezos or his ilk, no one can write a check to save the world. We're seeing horrific tragedy; Michelle Obama is perfectly normal to be talking about this.

by Anonymousreply 100August 6, 2020 9:22 PM

R99 Believe it it not, there are some people who are actually empathetic to what others are going through and it makes them sad knowing there’s only so much they can do to help.

by Anonymousreply 101August 6, 2020 9:25 PM

Being depressed has nothing to do with wealth. Also, if youre not depressed by how much our country is in the shitter I kind of question your ability to empathize

by Anonymousreply 102August 6, 2020 9:28 PM

[quote] I'm always bewildered when rich people are sad.

Just because people are rich doesn’t mean they won’t become sad not having taxpayers pay for their extravagant family vacations.

by Anonymousreply 103August 6, 2020 9:31 PM

We're still paying for Trump's golfing jaunts and extravagant security tabs, R103.

by Anonymousreply 104August 6, 2020 9:36 PM

Everyone has depression now, low-grade or high. If you aren't depressed given the shithole Trump has turned us into, you're not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 105August 6, 2020 9:40 PM

I love Michele Obama, but what in the hell is up with her hair in that picture?

by Anonymousreply 106August 6, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote] Thinking personal wealth is all you need to be happy is a pretty clear indication of a selfish world view.

“All you need”? No one said that. No one.

Wealth, however, insulates people from many other problems. It may not make you happy, but at least you’ll have food on the table and a roof over your head. You aren’t working a dehumanizing job to make ends meet. You an access the highest quality mental health care available. You can pay medical bills when due.

Empathy for the struggles of others is not the same as experiencing actual depression. As a person who suffers from long term clinical depression, Michelle Obama’s attempt to cutesify this illness as “low grade” (not an actual viable diagnosis, btw) bothers me— like it’s a fever one can just get over.

by Anonymousreply 107August 6, 2020 9:46 PM

Did “she” transition before or after meeting Barrack!?

by Anonymousreply 108August 6, 2020 9:49 PM

R108 is an easy block.

by Anonymousreply 109August 6, 2020 9:51 PM

It's times like these that the cracks in your personality widen. If you don't have hobbies and interests and like to spend time with yourself, maybe it's time for an analyst.

I would have loved to have been in lockdown or furloughed or sucking-up unemployment, or even working from home. But my shit job is considered (just barely) essential. And I have had to be there 5 days a week, endangering my health.

I'd kill for nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 110August 6, 2020 9:52 PM

r108, she is a powerful woman, who could snap any contestant on RPDR in two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 6, 2020 10:03 PM

Or three r111.

by Anonymousreply 112August 6, 2020 10:10 PM

Right on, r98, r78, r83, r84.

by Anonymousreply 113August 6, 2020 10:17 PM

I’m right with her. Every day there’s more depressing news. Why can’t we just all get along? Why do people in power have to steal everything? I guess the answer is life it’s just not fair and that is damn depressing.

by Anonymousreply 114August 6, 2020 10:25 PM

Just think of how all the people whose family her husband deported feel. And all them kids in cages man...

by Anonymousreply 115August 6, 2020 10:32 PM

Think of the mass suicides if Turd gets four more years. Only to be succeeded by Pence for eight more. Who then hands the baton to his VP Mike Pompeo for another eight.

by Anonymousreply 116August 6, 2020 10:41 PM

Unhappiness is not the same as depression. She shouldn’t use medical terms incorrectly or attempt to self-diagnose.

by Anonymousreply 117August 6, 2020 10:43 PM

Well get out of your house Michelle and become the Veep.

by Anonymousreply 118August 7, 2020 3:47 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 7, 2020 3:56 AM

>It’s not about her suffering from ‘low level depression’ it’s about her thinking it warrants mentioning.

What an idiotic thing to say. Michelle Obama talking about depression during this time is nothing but helpful. Take it from those of us who work in the mental health field.

by Anonymousreply 120August 7, 2020 7:17 AM

Lots of dimwitted 4channers and Redditards here I see

by Anonymousreply 121August 7, 2020 7:25 AM

low grade depression = I‘m not getting enough media attention

by Anonymousreply 122August 7, 2020 7:40 AM

The only thing she is trying to communicate is that her empathy for her fellow Americans is bringing her down. It's not complicated or mean spirited to know that others are suffering and become sad to the point of depression. She is showing her humanity, why should she be criticized for that?

by Anonymousreply 123August 7, 2020 7:51 AM

This thing she claims to have is not in the DSM. There’s no such thing as “low grade depression”. She should consult with a medical professional before diagnosing herself. This is probably the silliest thing I’ve ever heard her say.

by Anonymousreply 124August 7, 2020 8:02 AM

Low-grade depression is not an official diagnosis, but it is a frequently used term that is descriptive of a mental health pattern.

I have heard it used constantly since the '80s.

So pick the grit out of your vagina, R124.

by Anonymousreply 125August 7, 2020 8:10 AM

Boris out in full force on this thread. MO is beloved by 60% of Americans, so we can spot a tone-deaf outlier opinion pretty easily. Most liberals and progressives wouldn’t attack someone trying to destigmatize mental illness as “attention seeking;” that’s a stale opinion from older generations who hate “sharing.” These are the same conservatives who complain when someone talks about abuse they suffered, or a gay person dares to come out. “Why do they have to tell us all about? Just keep it to yourself!” So these trolls here parroting the same sentiments, and combining it with classism, sprinkled with jabs against “privilege,” are just, well, trolling. They’re attacking MO for the sport of it, and trying to divide us in the process.

Just so you know.

by Anonymousreply 126August 7, 2020 10:35 AM

[quote]It’s not about her suffering from ‘low level depression’ it’s about her thinking it warrants mentioning.

Like this. How many liberals or leftists do you know who think this way? I don’t know any, but every person I have heard voice sentiments like this in real life has been an older, reactionary conservative who loathes any expressions of openness or empathy, or anything that deviates from their rigid world view. These sentiments here are from tone-deaf interlopers who can’t even fathom how off-key they sound.

by Anonymousreply 127August 7, 2020 10:40 AM

It must be awful to endure all the abuse she received from right-wingers during her husband's presidency - and then have to see Trump succeed him.

by Anonymousreply 128August 7, 2020 1:11 PM

[quote] I don’t know any, but every person I have heard voice sentiments like this in real life has been an older, reactionary conservative who loathes any expressions of openness or empathy, or anything that deviates from their rigid world view. These sentiments here are from tone-deaf interlopers who can’t even fathom how off-key they sound.

Right. It can’t simply be that some of us— who otherwise find Ms Obama an intelligent and worthy role model— take issue with her using this issue as a self promoting talking point. Genuine expressions of empathy are wholly admirable r127; hypocrisy and tone deadness are not.

For all your talk of empathy, it appears very difficult for some of you to empathize those with whom you disagree. No, just paint them all as “old” and “reactionary”.

by Anonymousreply 129August 7, 2020 2:01 PM

If the shoe fits, R129. Calling this “a self promoting talking point” is your opinion and nothing more. I stand by my assessment that this opinion, that discussing a mental health or personal issue publicly is inappropriate, suspicious, or “self promoting” in and of itself, is almost exclusively associated with reactionary conservatives. It is not an opinion encountered or encouraged among Ms. Obama’s large base of moderates and leftists, a base that includes a large number of self-described feminists, health care workers, educated people, and many others who see the stigmatization of mental illness as a major problem in our culture today, and who recognize attempts to silence or minimize the people who do speak out as the single biggest part of the problem.

You’re tone-deaf at best. It would be a lot braver and honest if you just summed your sentiments up as “FUCK YOUR FEELINGS,” like a Trumper would. You can righteously claim you’re something else, but if you walk like a duck and quack like a duck...

by Anonymousreply 130August 7, 2020 2:18 PM

And this thread should explain why Michelle Obama doesn't want to get into politics.

by Anonymousreply 131August 7, 2020 2:30 PM

Except I don’t agree with “fuck your feelings”. I do think however, that the “feelings” of the powerful and wealthy are not and should not be a newsworthy concern. If Ms. Obama was instead relating as a way of opening the door for woman to express her concerns and feelings, if she provided a platform for the voices of women to share their experiences, I would feel differently.

But that’s not what this is.

by Anonymousreply 132August 7, 2020 2:55 PM

[quote]If Ms. Obama was instead relating as a way of opening the door for woman to express her concerns and feelings, if she provided a platform for the voices of women to share their experiences, I would feel differently.

How, exactly, would that look? How would that differ from what she actually did?

You're really splitting hairs here. Imaginary, completely arbitrary hairs that only exist in your mind to justify your stated bias that you refuse to reconsider.

by Anonymousreply 133August 7, 2020 2:58 PM

Who really cares about her low-grade depression? Take a pill. What I REALLY want to know is how she feels about Ellen Degeneres?

by Anonymousreply 134August 7, 2020 3:02 PM

r134, you don’t also want to know if she still has a garden that she forces the servants to maintain for show?

by Anonymousreply 135August 7, 2020 8:01 PM

Everyone with a well paying job and/or millions in the bank needs to STFU right now. I don’t give a fuck about your “low grade” depression because you cannot swan around the world with the ultra rich. Just stop. Shut up. You have no business lecturing anyone. This goes for any human, regardless of skin color.

by Anonymousreply 136August 7, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote]What I REALLY want to know is how she feels about Ellen Degeneres?

To find that out all you have to do is watch the way Michelle looks at Ellen while they're shopping in the CVS.

by Anonymousreply 137August 7, 2020 11:22 PM

Ellen is one of the select few “whiteys” that Michelle likes. Don’t expect her to say anything against that tyrant.

by Anonymousreply 138August 7, 2020 11:30 PM

I believe time will be very kind to Michelle and we'll realize how great we had when she was our First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 139August 8, 2020 12:21 AM

I don’t have money problems but today was a tough day. The political news is depressing. There was news of a Canadian ice shelf breaking apart. The food bank lines are getting longer.

I had a mild case of Covid in February/March but my recovery has been worse. I’m always tired, can’t sleep and my kidneys aren’t healthy. I’m concerned about the after effects for others. There’s so much we don’t understand about this virus.

by Anonymousreply 140August 8, 2020 1:05 AM

I understand why Michelle Obama feels this way.

by Anonymousreply 141August 8, 2020 1:08 AM

Do something about it, Michelle. (2024)

by Anonymousreply 142August 8, 2020 1:09 AM

Wonder if she regrets her stupid kumbaya mantra “When they go low, we go high.” After all, that did us REALLY well in the last election, didn’t it?🙄

by Anonymousreply 143August 8, 2020 1:21 AM

R55

Huggy and Kissy with a war criminal? You mean her husband?

Obama expanded the invasions that started under Poppy Bush and continued through WJC & his own misbegotten spawn, but Obama is worse because the media gave him a pass on his war crimes.

Did you know that Obama ordered the murder of a US citizen via drones? First time ever. No congressional authorization or oversight, just a flat out execution of a US citizen.

Then to make it even more horrifying, he had his 16-year-old American born son murdered by drones as well. Bet you didn’t hear a peep about that on the news. No, the news was too busy covering for Obama’s warmongering ass.

The fact that he has a Nobel Peace prize makes the entire endeavor worthless. He is a slimy piece of shit, and the fact that you people are stupid enough to worship him makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 144August 8, 2020 2:11 AM

R144 He’s not slimy for a leader of a powerful country. And he was intelligent and competent. No one thinks he was perfect. If he didn’t play within the system, he would never have become President.

If you aren’t a misanthrope, you would take Obama over Trump for any position any day.

by Anonymousreply 145August 8, 2020 2:48 AM

Her husband droned so many innocent women and children. It’s hard to feel too bad for her when she’s such an inhumane person. George Floyd died because he had fetanyl in his system. That shit kills people on a daily basis in this country.

by Anonymousreply 146August 8, 2020 8:39 PM

R145

If Obama wasn’t an authoritarian collectivist he would be far superior.

But, since Obama is actively working against the future prosperity of citizens of the United States, I will take an orange ass clown like Donald Trump over a morally bankrupt, smooth talking, mass murdering Cunt like Obama any day of the week.

Donald Trump is horrible and a total embarrassment as president. Somehow, though, he is still better than Barack Obama, the first president to assassinate a US citizen on foreign soil without trial, and then follow up that blasphemy by murdering his teenage son.

Obama was worse than George Bush, because at least liberals pushed back against George Bush and his murderous regime.

by Anonymousreply 147August 12, 2020 3:26 AM

R147 Stay away from the meth. It's not doing you any favors.

by Anonymousreply 148August 12, 2020 9:57 PM

R146 and R147. Seems like you’re jealous and irrational and just plain dumb. Plenty of people like you, the uneducated and the racist didn’t like Obama. Plenty of hateful Republicans, like Mitch McConnell, and hill billy assholes pushed back.

by Anonymousreply 149August 13, 2020 4:49 AM

R149

That was such a brilliant deconstruction of my argument. Socialists are so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 150August 13, 2020 5:56 AM

R150 You’re misusing the word “deconstruction”.

by Anonymousreply 151August 14, 2020 2:58 AM

I’m not a socialist.

by Anonymousreply 152August 14, 2020 3:00 AM

It’s 2020. We don’t deconstruct, we unpack.

by Anonymousreply 153August 14, 2020 3:02 AM

It’s 2020. We don’t deconstruct, we unpack.

by Anonymousreply 154August 14, 2020 3:02 AM

R149

If you are a Democrat, then you are a socialist by default.

Your “deconstruction” of my post was meant ironically. You are apparently incapable of understanding basic economics.

by Anonymousreply 155August 14, 2020 3:30 AM

R155 You don’t understand what “deconstruction” means. And you weren’t being ironic; you were being sarcastic. My post had nothing to do with economics.

You are the dummy that doesn’t know he’s dumb. No wonder you like Trump. He certainly is the right leader for people like you.

Now look up “Dunning-Kruger” and then use that the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 156August 14, 2020 3:54 AM

No, I meant ironically. It was the exact opposite of a deconstruction.

Sarcasm was merely a side effect.

You called me a racist hillbilly.

Politics and economics are inextricably linked because of the ridiculous policies pursued by Republicans and Democrats over the last 107 years, accelerated 49 years ago this week, and now reaching the “chaotic unraveling” phase.

I don’t like trump. He is an arrogant narcissistic bully that doesn’t understand the purpose or limits of government powers, especially how each branch handles their own specific duties. His foreign-policy sounded great, but then he hired ALL the NeoCons.

Except for utterly destroying the moderate wing of the Democratic Party by driving the far left wing insane, he has done nothing of note. He deserves to lose in November, but I believe that he will actually win the popular and electoral vote.

Unless Biden starts performing like Bradley Cooper in the movie “Limitless” then the +/-30% of voters who choose the lesser of two stupids will hold their nose and vote for Trump, or not vote. Considering that a third of black voters think that Kamala Harris as VP is a mistake further depressors potential turn out.

Perhaps the most notable but under reported statistic is the enthusiasm gap. Twice as many Trump voters are excited to vote for him when compared to Biden. That statistic has been one of the most accurate predictor is in modern political history.

If I was taken on stage and told that my choice of Biden or Trump would decide the election, I would commit suicide. I would rather be dead than remembered throughout history as the person that foisted one of those two fools on our citizens. I would choose a noble death van experience that venal.

I do believe you might have a smidge of Dunning Kruger going on since you think you are much smarter than you actually are.

by Anonymousreply 157August 15, 2020 3:57 AM

Depresses not depressors

by Anonymousreply 158August 15, 2020 3:58 AM

Siri is being particularly annoying when it comes to dictation reliability tonight. Thank God context clues make it easy for most people to understand transcription errors.

by Anonymousreply 159August 15, 2020 4:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!