Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

VP: It's Harris or Rice now. Biden's narrowed it down.

Okay, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 603August 9, 2020 7:53 PM

Elizabeth Warren was Joe Biden's only hope, given all the female candidates he has to choose from.

White Midwestern and Southern independents and swing voters will NOT vote for Joe Biden if Kamala Harris and/or Susan Rice are on the ticket. Same goes for the lower-tier names being put out there, like Bass and Duckface. Any one of these four names will cost Biden the election.

Just wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 1:51 PM

Looks like Donald Trump will win a second term in November.

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 1:51 PM

R1, it’s just not true that white Midwestern and Southern independents and swing voters as a group are so racist that they wouldn’t vote for Biden if he has a woman of color as his running mate. That’s your implication, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 1:58 PM

If he chooses either, conservatives and independents in swing states (especially men) are going to show up just to vote against them. He should have selected Duckworth.

Maybe Black voters will outweigh them: everyone says they'll be very energized to go vote. Good luck with that. I may not bother.

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 2:02 PM

[quote] That’s your implication, isn’t it?

Yes it is, R3. And it's true.

There, I said it.

And you'll see it in November, no matter how in denial you are about it.

Warren was Biden's only hope to win, since he opened his big mouth and insisted on choosing a female running mate. Fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 2:02 PM

Christ. Now it's gonna be either three months of, "She fucked her way to the top" or "BENGHAZI!!!!"

Thank God I'm overseas.

(Still holding out hope for Rep. Demings or Sen. Duckworth)

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 2:02 PM

Duckworth would have won him Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Florida. If you don't see why, you're clueless.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 2:03 PM

Midwestern white men who wouldn't vote for Hilary are NOT going to vote for Warren. Get real. I do, however, think Rice would be a huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 2:03 PM

If this is true, it's Harris. Here's why. Susan Rice is there. OK? She is more than willing to be part of his administration. If he pics Kamala for VP he can also hire Susan. But if he picks Susan, Kamala will stay in the Senate. She wouldn't leave her elective position to be his appointee. She will be in a majority Democratic Senate. So she will have a shot at some Leadership role. KLobuchar ought to be Senate Majority Leader not Schumer.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 2:04 PM

R6, I'm with you - Demings or Duckworth.

My god, Harris or Rice - fucking insane.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 2:04 PM

Only on Datalounge R6

You forgot the Miss Kamala Devi Harris Stans and the Hilllbots screeching about misogyny

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 2:05 PM

Like he doesn't have Black voters ready to vote already. Jesus. Couldn't swing for moderates in the Midwest, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 2:05 PM

So now we gotta have a black lady at all times, eh? By default. Great.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 2:05 PM

Good

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 2:06 PM

R1 is posting from 1976.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 2:06 PM

Demings was the former chief of police for Jacksonville Florida. Her husband is the current chief. They have a lot of baggage. And Demings doesn't have the range to be VP. She is still learning about issues in the House. Economic policy, Domestic policy, foreign policy, trade policy. She is not there. I like her, but I'd rather see her run for governor of Florida. She might even have some dirt on Scott or Desantis that would be great leverage. I'd love to see her run against Rubio, too at some point.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote] Duckworth would have won him Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Florida. If you don't see why, you're clueless.

ENOUGH of this bullshit.

Do you honestly think that Americans will vote for an oriental Vice-President? Not on your fucking life!

Those people make up less than 5% of the US population.

And if you think that they're going to step in front of a white, black, or hispanic female to gain the Presidency or the Vice-Presidency, then you are SADLY mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 2:08 PM

R13, looks like. Because the media and activists are in charge, and BLM is a religion now.

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 2:09 PM

the Warren stans arrive early to stink up the place or perhaps they are posting from St Petersburg.

Anyway I am not a traditional Dem voter but wanted to vote for Biden. If he had picked that fabulist Warren I would not have. These two are decent choices especially since they will get out the Black vote. Rice may be better, less baggage and another tie to the Obama administration. I support anything that will get rid 9f Trump at this point. Boris thinks tearing down Biden is helpful to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 2:09 PM

Garcetti and Blunt Rochester are for Harris and any Black woman, respectively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 2:10 PM

[quote] R1 is posting from 1976.

Laugh now.

Cry later.

But whatever you do, mark my words.

I'll bet you also thought that there was no way Hillary could lose in 2016, huh?

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 2:10 PM

Orlando R18

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 2:11 PM

R17, Duckworth is biracial, with a white dad. Her husband is a white vet, and her children look white. Veterans are all for her. Disabled people would be eager to vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 2:11 PM

r1, I don't believe what you believe. That is a pretty awful way to live if that is what you think. I'd like to be hopeful. Think more of people. Some times people let me down and I am disappointed but I'm not going to cast people away and give them no credit before they can act.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 2:11 PM

I'm disgusted. Instead of trying to win independent moderates, they're throwing candy to a base that's already going to vote. Good luck with that, but I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 2:12 PM

R24, are you 12? Do you know what this world is like?

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 2:13 PM

R16 valid criticism. OTOH, there isn't a ton of specific baggage on them, as opposed to Sen. Harris. CA is a lock for Biden, so getting a California politician adds... ?... but will her time as AG in Cali disengage certain potential Biden votes in swing states?

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 2:13 PM

A darkie?! Why does he have to pick a darkie??! Isn’t it bad enough he’s picking a woman??!

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 2:14 PM

R28 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 2:14 PM

It's the "it has to be a Black woman" mantra that the media have been chanting throughout the process. He bought into it. He had a Black woman as one of the four people on the committee: wonder who she wanted. Get the fuck out of here. This is moronic: you have no idea how much they're both hated in the middle of the country by angry men just waiting to vote against THEM (vs. for Biden or against Trump).

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 2:15 PM

You forgot something about still being able to pass for 29, R28. That always matters.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 2:15 PM

Susan Rice on The View, talking about how she would handle any attacks on her re: Benghazi.

Although she is probably correct in what she is saying, she sounds HARSH. As in, difficult to listen to.

Lecturing and cold. I'm telling you that this will not play with Americans. She's not very relatable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 2:16 PM

r26, I do but most of the post here are DL members saying what they would do rather than the country.

Give yourself an excuse not to vote for a woman or a black person. That is on you, don't speak for the country.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 2:17 PM

R33, I wanted the right woman - Demings or Duckworth.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 2:19 PM

R17, calls Asians “Oriental.” In 2020!!!!

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 2:20 PM

Harris is going to turn people off.

She has way too much attitude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 2:20 PM

R35, he's extremely old and clueless. I blocked him long ago.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 2:22 PM

It should be Ayanna Pressley.

But whatever. Vote Blue!

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 2:23 PM

r34, Demmings has too much baggage with being apart of the the police and siding and supporting (I guess as she should as chief) police when charged with brutality.

Duckworth, I don't know her beyond being an amputee and vet. That's not a reason to vote for someone as being a woman isn't either.

Kamala is the best pick and the best ally to the LGBTQ, I really don't get how this website isn't excited about her as the potential pick

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 2:23 PM

With THIS MUCH at stake, don’t you fucking, whining idiots realize that they have spent hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars polling and researching who is the VP that moves voters most? Don’t you realize they’ve done thorough background checks which might have knocked your recommended candidate on their ass?

(I can just imagine someone on here righteously screaming that Biden has to choose Andrew Gillum of Florida as the only candidate who can help him win. You don’t know everything, assholes.)

Biden may not pick my favorite choice but I’m damn sure they put more analysis and resources into it than any of you have.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 2:23 PM

Midwestern independents will never vote for a black!

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 2:24 PM

r36, but why is she turning you away. Wouldn't this make you excited and smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2020 2:26 PM

R39, the whole point of Duckworth's not being well-known is that there's room to position her so she's perceived positively by moderate voters, who already like veterans. Marketing 101. Harris's unfavorability is greater than her favorability, with little room to change that (few in between, few who don't know her), as is the case with Warren. There's space for Rice, I must admit, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2020 2:26 PM

R40, may I introduce you to Sen. Kaine and former Gov. Palin?

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote] I really don't get how this website isn't excited about her as the potential pick

She has dark skin and a vagina. And the age of the average Datalounge is 67.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2020 2:26 PM

r45, see r42 (my post too)

They have cock and like cock. Does the messenger even matter?

Unless they are plants to divide this group and should be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2020 2:28 PM

Whatever. I guess the experts have guided the process, and have analyzed the data and concluded that it's more important to activate the base than win over non-Black moderates like me.

Good luck with that. I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2020 2:29 PM

It's not like Harris and Rice are Angela Davis and Assata Shakur.

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2020 2:29 PM

Rice is my choice, and I am in 100%, if it is Harris, I live in NY so my not voting won't make a difference, I just cannot stand her posturing and shape shifting. Biden will hopefully win with either, although Harris is a big turn off to many middle class voters.

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2020 2:31 PM

r47, really? You are a gay moderate voter and you would let Trump be re-elected because he picked a black woman for VP. VP whose job is to just wait and make appearances for the POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2020 2:31 PM

I think they're both bad choices and continue to point the world in a worse direction, but neither also outrage me. I'd want Rice more, but I think Harris might poll better. Rice reflects a return to professionalism, despite her past controversy. Harris reflects a vocal social progressivism, despite her inadequacies on these very topics (that progressives like me will care a lot about, but media and moderates can and will gloss over).

R47 no one is forcing you to expend energy to campaign for the Dems but if you withhold the vote (and I say this as a Bernie-liker) or vote Trump you're basically scum. Go ahead and dismiss my Canadian self but I'm right. Allowing the man to continue is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2020 2:35 PM

R50 yes, my vote, my choice. I don't care if you get mad about it. Suck a lemon, I don't give a rat's ass who you support as long as you are respectful to others, which you seem to struggle with.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2020 2:36 PM

Here's why I hope it's Harris: she is a STAR. She knows how to entertain in front of the camera and she makes great TV. That is the one and only skill Trump has, but it was enough to win him the election. Nobody else in politics, including Biden, can hold a candle to Trump in that regard. Harris on the other hand could have her own reality TV show. It's the sad truth!

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote] Good luck with that. I'm out.

Same here. For me, it was Liz Warren or nothing.

I don't like being bullied into voting for someone. And I particularly don't like the tactics that Kamala Harris used to snake her way to the nomination. It's dirty, it's underhanded, and it's not my style.

As for Rice, I just don't like her. She leaves me cold.

Honestly what more can DUMP do, that he hasn't done already. This stupid Covid-19 isn't going away, and he and his disgusting family have looted the US of its cash. Not to mention that he has pretty much dismantled our government services, beyond recognition.

Will I vote for him? Of course not. But I'm also not going to be bullied and/or forced into voting for Harris or Rice. Why do I say that? Because this Vice-Presidency will ultimately lead to the Presidency. I'm sure of it.

In my mind, Elizabeth Warren would have made the best President to follow Biden. Not Harris. Not Rice.

So like R47, I'm out too.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2020 2:37 PM

R47 is the same kind of poster who spent the last four years blaming black voters for not turning out enough for Hillary in 2016 versus acknowledging the white voters who over indexed for Trump.

PS - I’m a black man.

PSS - My first choice is Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2020 2:37 PM

No one needs to be respectful to a Trump supporter.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2020 2:37 PM

I wonder if they will be vetted for their nose rubbing skills.

by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2020 2:37 PM

Sucky babies. Your country needs your fucking vote. You're disgusting children.

by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2020 2:42 PM

[quote]Here's why I hope it's Harris: she is a STAR. She knows how to entertain in front of the camera and she makes great TV.

Jesus Christ. You're one level up from a Trump voter.

by Anonymousreply 59August 5, 2020 2:44 PM

R50, my vote doesn't matter anyway. I hate that Biden seems to have bowed to the media and selected a Black woman, even though those two are huge turnoffs to moderate independents, and I'm disgusted and how overt the media and activists have been in insisting on a Black woman, vs. anyone of any other race. I don't want the stress of hoping he'll win despite having picked one of the two.

Demings is a Black woman whose selection would have made sense to me, somewhat (she's only been in the House since 2017).

Lujan Grisham and Duckworth were impliedly disqualified by the media and activists because of their ethnicities. If the Democratic Part is now the party of the media and activists, they can have it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2020 2:45 PM

I think both are great candidates - well qualified. I've happily vote for either to end the era of Trump's corruption. Everyone I know wholeheartedly agrees.

by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2020 2:46 PM

Harris and Rice are EXACTLY what republicans have been waiting for.

Up until now, they couldn't say shit about Joe Biden. He's likable, he's competent, he's white, and he's experienced.

The minute Harris and Rice join the ticket, they will be viciously attacked, and it will become a HUGE distraction for Biden.

As I mentioned before, they can't say shit about Elizabeth Warren. She has been under attack by Republicans and Trump for years. It's fucking old news.

Rice and Harris are fresh meat, and they will be devoured by both the media and by Republicans.

Joe will have no control over what happens from this point on.

by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2020 2:46 PM

R62, they've indeed attacked Warren for years, and to great effect: her unfavorables are higher than her favorables, with little room to change public opinion, as it's now polarized about her.

Not that I like Harris or Rice - or will even vote for a ticket with either of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2020 2:49 PM

[quote]Although she is probably correct in what she is saying, she sounds HARSH. As in, difficult to listen to. Lecturing and cold. I'm telling you that this will not play with Americans. She's not very relatable.

Hillary had this same problem. Picking Rice is concerning.

by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2020 2:58 PM

I was for Duckworth until I saw a recent interview. She didn't come across great. Plus the optics of an old man and a handicapped person as the ticket aren't great.

I'm no fan of Harris but she does bring a little sex appeal to a ticket that could use it. I'm neutral on Rice only because she has never run for elective office.

by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2020 3:00 PM

If you're a woman, for independent moderates, you have to have something more that takes you out of being just another woman with a sharp tongue. Sorry, but that's reality.

Having been a police chief or a decorated vet with two titanium legs are example of that sort of "something more."

Rice is a Rhodes scholar - ok... I'm middle class in the Midwest; what do I care? Harris is just a slippery, sharp-tongued phony.

But note that I said this is the view of independent moderates. If Dems want to activate the base, maybe these two will do it. Maybe Dems don't need moderates in swing states to win.

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote] Anyway I am not a traditional Dem voter but wanted to vote for Biden. If he had picked that fabulist Warren I would not have.

Okay, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2020 3:04 PM

Re R66 - it's like being an Asian kid applying to Harvard: you have to have something more to set you apart from a group their admissions office generally finds repulsive (e.g., the personality scores). Otherwise, to them, you're just another school-obsessed Chinese calculator.

(Isn't affirmative action great?)

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2020 3:04 PM

Susan Rice’s son sounds like an alt-Right psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote] Not that I like Harris or Rice - or will even vote for a ticket with either of them.

Moron.

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2020 3:05 PM

Yes, it's always Boris when they don't like Liz or Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2020 3:05 PM

r59 You either underestimate the stupidity of this country or you're a part of it. My guess is the latter.

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2020 3:05 PM

I think Biden and Harris look good together. Superficial of course but that shit matters.

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2020 3:06 PM

[quote] Honestly what more can DUMP do

A LOT, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2020 3:06 PM

[quote]I live in NY so my not voting won't make a difference

The echos of 2016. Some people never learn.

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2020 3:08 PM

R72, if you're looking for stupid, find a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2020 3:08 PM

Rice and Harris both have the problem of being unlikable. The problem is, there isn’t a black woman of the right age and qualifications this year. Some of the younger women will have a little more on their resume in four or eight years. Rice is a godawful pick, I don’t care how much he likes her. Nobody but he and Obama can stand her. She’s a haughty bitch, and that’s what she sounds like every time she opens her mouth. She’s a behind the scenes person,not a baby kissing, soccer mom relatable personality. Biden and Obama may know she’s smart in the back room, but in front of a crowd she’s an unlikable asshole.

And Fox News will change their logo to Benghazi News until Election Day. There goes every crossover vote he desperately needs, and the whole reason we got Biden in the first place. Not because he was the best candidate, but because he was the crossover candidate. All gone, wasted for nothing. For a woman who can’t get elected dogcatcher in 2024, but she will put herself out there as the top of the ticket anyway, because she has an ego the size of Mount Everest.

I am disgusted. Put her in the goddamn cabinet, and pick someone likable as VP. She and Harris are the two most unlikable, arrogant, nakedly ambitious women he could possibly find, and neither one can win in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2020 3:08 PM

If you read the Axios story two interesting points.

"Rice is getting a big bounce from Obama people who claim her presence on the ticket would guarantee the enthusiastic presence of both Barack and Michelle Obama on the campaign trail."

That's more powerful than Kamala Harris' most powerful power suit. Sorry, DL stylists.

"It rests in part on her prosecutorial skills, which could help her attack the Trump administration with discipline."

Which makes her perfect AG material and provides her with a strong opportunity to make a credible Presidential run in future. She's only 55.

by Anonymousreply 78August 5, 2020 3:11 PM

Harris should run for President in her own, not on Biden’s coattails. Because she fucked up this election cycle, and she’s going to drag him down with her. Clean up your own act, then rise or fall based on whether you can overcome your own fuckup.

by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2020 3:13 PM

Glad to see the Russian trolls are here to piss all over whoever he picks. Luckily, actual Americans are sick of Trump and just want him gone, no matter who Biden's VP is.

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2020 3:17 PM

This thread is baffling... I can only assume most anti-Harris and anti-Rice posts come from Trumpers, bots, or just shameless racists.

News: This kind of race-baiting won't work in 2020.

News: It doesn't really matter who Biden's VP is... this election is referendum on Trump's incompetence - 200k dead by November, ONE THIRD of the economy disappeared, and may not return for decades. And, America is getting weary of Trump's personality and unstable act.

News: Harris and Rice would both be very skillful VPs.

News: Clinton was very vulnerable, many didn't like her, and many weren't motivated to vote at all. She lost PA, MI and WI because black and progressive voters didn't turn out. The number of "white voters uncomfortable with a black VP" in those states will be far, far outnumbered by the number of black voters motivated to go vote.

by Anonymousreply 81August 5, 2020 3:21 PM

We know that unlikable and too ambitious are on the current Russian asset talking post list, but r77 was over the top even for a bot. Dial it back Natasha

by Anonymousreply 82August 5, 2020 3:21 PM

R81. maybe you're right, and maybe Dems don't need those moderate independent white (and Asian, and Latino) voters. Guess we'll see. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 83August 5, 2020 3:23 PM

News: R81 is completely clueless, and will have a nervous breakdown on election night.

Some of you are just not critical thinkers. You live in LaLa land, hoping that your wishful thinking will make something come true.

You are in for a very rude awakening.

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] We know that unlikable and too ambitious are on the current Russian asset talking post list, but R77 was over the top even for a bot. Dial it back Natasha

I didn't know that Politico was a "Russian asset."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Now to address the 500 pound gorilla in the room.

Both Senator Harris and Ms. Rice, while "of color," are married to White men. I have little doubt at the Black citizenry's reaction, particularly among men, once the interracial marriages are revealed.

Men in general harbor subconscious resentment against intelligent, accomplished women, and Black men tend to be more expressive of their disdain as it concerns Black women. Factor in the woman's having a non-Black spouse and the hatred, illogical as it is, takes on a life of its own. I fear Black men will sit this election out rather than send a Black woman, on the arm of a Black husband, to the Vice Presidency.

Sadly, it is what it is. Measure twice and cut once, Vice President Biden.

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Amazing how we just allow white assholes including on DL to take down this country and act like it's perfectly normal to be a racist dirtbag. That it's OK for a loathsome pile of shit and complete imbecile in every way to become president AGAIN....if the potential VP on the other side has a tan.

"Supremacy" my ass. You talk shit about affirmative action when it comes to black people? THIS is affirmative action. A fucking idiot and scumbag who is white can become president or potentially VP (Palin), because voting as a racist is perfectly fine and it continues to be coddled by enabling vermin on the "moderate" left. And yeah, that is what you are: Vermin. You're useless and you work on behalf of the low-life scum on the right. Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2020 3:26 PM

r54, where the fuck were you during her run for presidency.

I voted for Liz in the primaries because I thought she was the best choice for president. Others didn't. I don't think she is the best choice for VP. She should remain in the Senate. She doesn't have time to be VP with a chance for President. She can be more effective elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2020 3:26 PM

R84 That is so well argued, full of a description of the issues! Intellectually rigorous and detailed in laying out your argument. Thank you!

R77 Right all those Biden voters watching Fox are going to be convinced by constant Benghazi nonsense to change their "voted for Biden" to now vote for Trump. Right.

No amount of spin can change the facts: Trump broke America, and America is anxiously waiting to make him go away.

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote] you work on behalf of the low-life scum on the right

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2020 3:27 PM

r54, also you ask what more Trump do? Put to more justices on the Supreme Court. Put more conservative judges on lower courts. Let Russia get away with targeting our military. Leave NATO. Deny science, resulting in continued mismanagement of the pandemic and global warming prevention.

There is a lot more I could list but those are some that come right to mind.

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2020 3:31 PM

editing my R86 above: "...on the arm of a White husband ..."

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2020 3:31 PM

R81 and others. There's 1 troll with 20 accounts. He posts and then likes his own posts. You can hear his voice, same phrases, "Im out if it's not Liz" . Or, both blacks are uppity, radical, angry, so "I'm out"

No one votes on the VP choice, statistically proven. I would LOVE to talk about BENGHAZI for 3 months in order to refute with Cash for Corpses.

by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2020 3:34 PM

[quote] [R77] Right all those Biden voters watching Fox are going to be convinced by constant Benghazi nonsense to change their "voted for Biden" to now vote for Trump. Right.

Men in the middle of the country watch Fox News. Even independent voting men. And their wives. Benghazi (could be what makes them go vote for Cheeto.

by Anonymousreply 94August 5, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote] The number of "white voters uncomfortable with a black VP" in those states will be far, far outnumbered by the number of black voters motivated to go vote.

Have you forgotten that we've already elected a black president and that WI, PA, and MI all voted for him?

by Anonymousreply 95August 5, 2020 3:35 PM

Benghazi *(i.e., the lies Fox News tells about it)

by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2020 3:36 PM

R95, Obama didn't talk about racial grievance on the campaign trail, unlike Harris. ("I was that little girl"). Obama did talk about race, but only when pressed. With Harris, it's a standard go-to. That and gender.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2020 3:37 PM

A tanking economy, an unchecked deadly virus, and four years of Trump.... but, yes, Benghazi... We didn't even lose the popular vote with Clinton, but yes, Benghazi...

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2020 3:38 PM

If you don’t think Rice on the ticket would result in Benghazi 24/7 then you haven’t met the American media. Also, I don’t want someone who’s never held elected office to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2020 3:38 PM

r86, black men don't really care if black women date or marry white men, it's black women that balk at a black man with a white woman. You see black women still want black men.

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2020 3:38 PM

Wait, sorry, r81; misread your post and actually agree with you. WI, PA, and MI will not go for Trump or stay home because the Dem VP candidate is black.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2020 3:38 PM

R90, you dumbass "Bill Maher" types actually do work for the right. When you bitch more about the "woke" left as you witness white right-wingers with AK-47s go to the MI statehouse and literally threaten the life of the governor because they can't get a fucking haircut, that is enabling. When you act as though there is some "far left" that is asking for anything that outrageous as you ignore we have a white supremacist president who retweets conspiracy theories when he's not continuing to give every cent to the wealthiest or selling this country out to a foreign dictator or spreading his bigotry and racism like excrement on a wall, then yes, you're enabling.

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2020 3:39 PM

[quote] Both Senator Harris and Ms. Rice, while "of color," are married to White men. I have little doubt at the Black citizenry's reaction, particularly among men, once the interracial marriages are revealed.

Once they're revealed? They're not a secret now.

by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2020 3:40 PM

R102, do you realize how out-of-the-norm you are? Are you foreign? Posting from Norway maybe? Get your own government to stop allowing whaling. Don't worry about America.

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2020 3:41 PM

Rice is a terrible idea. Harris is nominally less terrible.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2020 3:43 PM

and that little girl, was me....

by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2020 3:44 PM

Can anyone in this pointless, ugly thread point to a single presidential election in American history where the decisive factor was the VP choice? And don't say 2008: Obama would have won even if McCain had chosen, say, Tim Pawlenty.

Much ado about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 107August 5, 2020 3:44 PM

Kamala the clear choice among Democrats. It's time for the supporters of other nominees to stand down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 5, 2020 3:45 PM

Misleading title, Biden has made no statement, this is all speculation by people in his camp.

Anyone who thinks Biden should choose a Black woman or anyone Black as VP at this time really is out of touch with anything outside their own bubble.

by Anonymousreply 109August 5, 2020 3:47 PM

R104, I'm in fucking NYC - born and raised- shit-for-brains. How is it out of the norm to point that a lot of you with your Maggie Haberman-like mentality is the reason Trump has been normalized? I think YOU are the foreign one. You clearly haven't been paying attention to how we even got to this point. You normalized Trump and his bigotry and racism. A racist moron is president because "moderate" idiots enabled and normalized him.

by Anonymousreply 110August 5, 2020 3:48 PM

R100: the two camps are not mutually exclusive.

R103: average Citizens Jane and John Doe barely know Harris and Rice, much less their spouses.

by Anonymousreply 111August 5, 2020 3:49 PM

[quote] I'm in fucking NYC - born and raised

That explains it.

by Anonymousreply 112August 5, 2020 3:49 PM

Speaking of affirmative action (lol), it's coming back to CA and WA in November. Referenda.

I think the Harvard case is headed to the SC, and it'll be up to Roberts: not sure what he'll do. Probably try to split the baby, like last time.

That is, unless Cheeto gets another pick soon.

by Anonymousreply 113August 5, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote]Anyone who thinks Biden should choose a Black woman or anyone Black as VP at this time really is out of touch with anything outside their own bubble.

Translation: Give into bigots and racist no matter how qualified the black person is. Gee, I wonder if this same attitude would be there if Pete had gotten the nomination

Yes, R112, it means I'm not a complete moron in an actual bubble like the people in flyover and the south who think you can be the stupidest motherfucker on earth (who is FROM NY) and be qualified to be president...as long as you're white. Yeah, that's truly something of which to be proud. Funny, but being from NYC I KNEW that someone who was also born here wasn't qualified to be president, yet the idiots in flyover/south thought he WAS qualified.

by Anonymousreply 114August 5, 2020 3:54 PM

R114/dummy, I wanted Demings or Duckworth. Demings is ... Black!

by Anonymousreply 115August 5, 2020 3:55 PM

R115? Did you see to whom I initially responded? I'm referring specifically to the attitude that some on here have that ANYONE black shouldn't be chosen. Did you even see what I quoted?

by Anonymousreply 116August 5, 2020 3:58 PM

I don’t get why people here are pushing the narrative that being “outspoken” on race (which is really just code for “uppity”) is bad news.

It’s the *perfect* time for guilty white people to pull the lever for Harris (indirectly) because it ticks the box for showing they’re “down” with the BLM moment without actually having to think about black folks.

by Anonymousreply 117August 5, 2020 3:58 PM

R46, they don’t care about that. For one thing, it goes against the narrative that black people are all homophobic. For another, they think white midwesterners (who in their minds haven’t changed since 1980) have more voting power than they really do - this ties into the fact that DLers generally have an understanding of the American political landscape that hasn’t been valid for 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 118August 5, 2020 3:59 PM

How is this not obnoxious?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 5, 2020 4:00 PM

On and on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 5, 2020 4:01 PM

Should be Duckworth

by Anonymousreply 121August 5, 2020 4:02 PM

[quote] A group of 200 prominent black female Democratic leaders and activists have signed a letter to former vice president Joe Biden calling on him to choose a black woman as his vice-presidential nominee.

"Choose a Black woman" implies "reject anyone of any other race." That's OK?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 5, 2020 4:03 PM

The media picked sides: absolutely no one not Black. That's racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 5, 2020 4:04 PM

[quote] Can anyone in this pointless, ugly thread point to a single presidential election in American history where the decisive factor was the VP choice?

1960. Kennedy’s selection of LBJ is generally regarded as having helped him in the South. But that’s the last time it mattered.

by Anonymousreply 124August 5, 2020 4:05 PM

Analysis from Perry Bacon, Jr. (he's Black, "it must be a Black woman" DLers).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 5, 2020 4:07 PM

R95 huh? That was exactly the point being made. Black voters didn't turnout in 2016 like they did in 2008, 2012... and that's one of principal reasons Clinton lost. That turnout will be different in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 126August 5, 2020 4:09 PM

R119? Who in the hell cares what they think? You think if he DOESN'T choose a black woman on the word of some BLM person, then millions of people will not vote?

by Anonymousreply 127August 5, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote] How is this not obnoxious?

It's one (white) person's opinion, r119. BFD.

by Anonymousreply 128August 5, 2020 4:10 PM

I will say, though, that it matters more in this election than others simply due to Biden’s age. There’s a not insignificant chance that he will die in office. It hasn’t happened in so long that no one seriously considers the possibility. Especially since the last time it happened, it was the result of assassination. No one currently alive has lived through a POTUS just keeling over, but it has happened several times.

by Anonymousreply 129August 5, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] [R95] huh? That was exactly the point being made.

Yes, I know; I amended my reply at r101.

by Anonymousreply 130August 5, 2020 4:12 PM

R128, I'm not White, racist C.

by Anonymousreply 131August 5, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] [R128], I'm not White, racist C.

I was talking about the person who wrote the opinion column in question, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 132August 5, 2020 4:14 PM

So this thread is irrelevant.

ONE THIRD OF THE ECONOMY CLOSED AND WILL NOT RE-OPEN. THE DAMAGE IS PROFOUND AND LONG-LASTING.

200,000 dead Americans, at least.... with a President that clearly, clearly (even to a significant number of his supporters) is out of his depth.

All this other back and forth, the usual pre-2020 politics, is amusing. But irrelevant TRUMP = VAPORIZED.

Even if he tries to dispute the results (and he will) there will be armed forces at the gates of the White House to help him leave. Thanks for your service Donald; Joe will likely pardon you, so no worries.

(2021: Come, tune in to Fox at 8:00pm to watch the Trump, No Fake News! show.)

by Anonymousreply 133August 5, 2020 4:18 PM

Personally, I'm ok with it.

Give them the damned black woman. The black women remaining under consideration are all strong candidates fully capable of being VP and stepping into the big chair if the need arises. It's not like some wondrous candidate is being excluded because of the black woman thing.

by Anonymousreply 134August 5, 2020 4:19 PM

I know it's like rubbing salt on the wound. I'm so sorry. It's not us being arrogant.

YESSSSSS! Yes Kamala! And once she is VP she can take over the presidency when Biden vacates like the little bitch he is.

California will definitely rule and the lesser states will have to kneeeeel Kneel whores !!!!! PAYBACK !!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 5, 2020 4:20 PM

THIS is what I want more of. I'm fine with Harris if there's more of THIS: fucking destroy the press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 5, 2020 4:23 PM

Jesus Christ, the horror that somebody is reaching out to a constituency with his choice of VP! Unheard of! Unprecedented! Nooo!!!!! It's always a purely scientific choice of the BEST candidate (whoever the fuck that's supposed to be), and never sullied by anything so horrible as political calculation!

by Anonymousreply 137August 5, 2020 4:24 PM

To the extent Biden has bowed down the the media's demand for a Black woman, I want more of this - yelling back at the fucking media - to show me that he's not a media stooge. The media are full of fucking airheads. Take them down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 5, 2020 4:26 PM

Whoever he picks will be compared to a group of men who were kept out of consideration because they have a penis. This is not a good way to start any campaign. I wish he would have kept his trap shut about his preference for a female VP because it was a pandering move.

by Anonymousreply 139August 5, 2020 4:31 PM

R135 is one of the reasons I can't wait for Kamala's failure.

by Anonymousreply 140August 5, 2020 4:33 PM

For centuries it was a given that it would always be a white man. This time it's going to be a black woman. The pain and anguish will pass.

by Anonymousreply 141August 5, 2020 4:36 PM

Where is this notion coming from that the media has demanded a black woman VP. Sure, the idea's out there, but I've also seen media support for Duckworth, Warren, and even Klobuchar before George Floyd's murder tanked her chances.

by Anonymousreply 142August 5, 2020 4:37 PM

Seriously. I love all the talk about "pandering" (will DL ever get over its obsession with this concept?) and identity politics, as though being white and male played no role in almost every single VP choice in the history of the nation.

by Anonymousreply 143August 5, 2020 4:40 PM

r114 I'd rather see more Blacks in Congress than sitting in the VP chair. The emergence in the media of all the Black death at the hands of police started while Obama was in office, notice that? Now we have had Trump in office just making it worse throwing fuel on the fire, that will not immediately subside even if Trump is voted out.

I'm Black. I care more about my community than I do a gesture by Biden of a Black woman VP. There is a good chance violence toward my community increases with that VP nomination so I'm not for it. I'd like to see violence on the Black community lessen not increase.

by Anonymousreply 144August 5, 2020 4:40 PM

Lotsa QAnon tumbles in their 400-lb masses to spew bullshit about Democrat candidates again. Just die, fat cunttrolls.

I couldn't care less if it's Kamala or Susan or whoever, I'm just sick and tired of Trump!!!

by Anonymousreply 145August 5, 2020 4:43 PM

Rice has a son who is a Trump supporter. I fear the Trump campaign will pay off the son and parade him around saying that not even their own son is voting for their mother.

by Anonymousreply 146August 5, 2020 4:43 PM

R146, that's what I was thinking, too.

She shouldn't even be under consideration and not because of her son. The fact that she has ,never held elected office doesn't look good. You need to have at least a record of the people voting for you before you should be considered.

by Anonymousreply 147August 5, 2020 4:50 PM

R140, you know that's a troll, right, genus?

by Anonymousreply 148August 5, 2020 4:52 PM

"Balancing the ticket" was a commonplace, a standard practice of American politics (until Clinton picked Gore, a white southerner from a state next to Clintons's ... this was the exception) UNTIL it's a woman and a black woman.

Oh, exclude people just because they have penises!!! (Like anyone said in 1960, "oh exclude all the white men who went to prep schools just to pick a southerner!!),

by Anonymousreply 149August 5, 2020 4:54 PM

Yeah I agree r147. I'm not a fan of I've never run for office before. I think I'll start with Vice President. (We tried that with president last time, and it's just not working out.)

by Anonymousreply 150August 5, 2020 4:59 PM

R144, are you high? Ever heard of Rodney King?

by Anonymousreply 151August 5, 2020 5:06 PM

[quote] The fact that she has ,never held elected office doesn't look good.

They tried to play the same lazy logic against Obama's run for president but talent and ability transcended that. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 152August 5, 2020 5:07 PM

Obama was a Senator and before that state legislator. You try harder.

by Anonymousreply 153August 5, 2020 5:09 PM

Yes and the argument was he was woefully ahead of himself for having one term in Senate and the state background. Learn your history and then try hardest. It's gonna be up hill, but in about ten years, you may be able to do it!

by Anonymousreply 154August 5, 2020 5:11 PM

so you admit he'd held elective office, this was not his first campaign, and he is not a good analogy for Susan Rice? Great. Be Best.

by Anonymousreply 155August 5, 2020 5:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 5, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] News: This kind of race-baiting won't work in 2020.

[quote]News: It doesn't really matter who Biden's VP is... this election is referendum on Trump's incompetence

You’re adorable.

by Anonymousreply 157August 5, 2020 5:15 PM

I admit if you need every example to match like Noah's ark, you're much more stupid than your appear at first glance.

by Anonymousreply 158August 5, 2020 5:16 PM

[quote] I admit if you need every example to match like Noah's ark, you're much more stupid than your appear at first glance.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 159August 5, 2020 5:17 PM

If that's victory, the prosecution rests.

by Anonymousreply 160August 5, 2020 5:18 PM

Russians are all over this non-controversy. Stir up shit any way possible. It is obvious and tedious. Get lost Boris!

by Anonymousreply 161August 5, 2020 5:19 PM

I like that Rice was there reading the Russian intel as Trump and Flynn were selling out to Putin.

I think that Rice could repair the US's international standing while Biden takes care of repairing the US domestically.

I think it would be marvelous if the SCOTUS invalidated O'Care and Biden was given the opportunity to usher in M4A

by Anonymousreply 162August 5, 2020 5:31 PM

Rice is a liability

by Anonymousreply 163August 5, 2020 5:33 PM

Rice could do that as Secretary of State. Not sure she could get through a campaign, no idea really, and that's a problem. But seems like she'd be a good choice for Secretary of State.

by Anonymousreply 164August 5, 2020 5:34 PM

Rice is qualified for Secretary of State, and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 165August 5, 2020 5:34 PM

If Biden croaks, Rice won’t be capable of running the country.

by Anonymousreply 166August 5, 2020 5:42 PM

^ That's ridiculous. She started with the National Security Council in 1993. An assistant Secretary of State, ambassador to the United Nations, National Security Advisor. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 167August 5, 2020 5:45 PM

And you are flamboyantly stupid, r157, if you think this election ISN'T about Trump's incompetence and the unprecedented mess he has "led" our country into.

by Anonymousreply 168August 5, 2020 5:52 PM

I gotta agree, R168... the tangents about Rice and Benghazi or Warren the hated or Kamala's strength in outfits... it's rubbish. This election is a referendum on Trump. He has gutted this country. What the hell else could it be? The morons arguing like this is a regular election are as painful as the Trumptards.

by Anonymousreply 169August 5, 2020 5:55 PM

I love Harris and I think she'll make a great running mate for Biden. People vote for the top of the ticket anyway, otherwise we would have had a President Dukakis. (Bentsen was very well-liked.)

by Anonymousreply 170August 5, 2020 5:55 PM

Yes, this will be a huge referendum on Trump and whether the shittiest president ever should be re-elected. I agree with that. It would still be nice if he picks a running mate who will help the most and do the least damage.

by Anonymousreply 171August 5, 2020 6:00 PM

Agreed, r171, but the "omg, the sky is falling if he picks ___" shit is out of control here.

by Anonymousreply 172August 5, 2020 6:04 PM

[quote]They tried to play the same lazy logic against Obama's run for president but talent and ability transcended that. Try harder.

Nonsense. Even Stacy Abrams and Pete Buttigieg I felt were unqualified due to a lack of a more high profile elected office. Rice has NO elected office. Even that moron Palin was governor of AK. Rice needs to actually show people support her enough to vote for her even before she could run for the second most high profile elected office (and potentially the most high profile considering Biden's age).

by Anonymousreply 173August 5, 2020 6:04 PM

OK, lets think about some of the people who get elected to office, time and time and time again... Anthony Weiner, Gym Jordan, Dennis Hastert Michelle Bachmann... yep, people supported them enough to vote for her.

Rice has an impressive track record, experience and frame of reference that for any reasonable person (so don't strain yourself) compensates for her lack of cowboy boots at state fairs.

by Anonymousreply 174August 5, 2020 6:17 PM

One of the factors is whether Cheeto is charismatic. The professor says no, and he created his model, but Cheeto is charismatic, isn't he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 5, 2020 6:17 PM

what does she think about health care? Tax policy? Income inequality? Or pandemics? Would like to know that.

by Anonymousreply 176August 5, 2020 6:19 PM

R174, I don't mind her being in the administration (and we've also had horrible people in administrations, so your argument about shit being elected is meaningless, because we have districts full of shit people). Trump was never elected to previous office. Hillary went from first lady to senator to administration before running. Trump is the only person in recent history who never held office prior to him taking a shit in the oval office.

We need someone who has been elected to office and spent years serving constituents.

by Anonymousreply 177August 5, 2020 6:24 PM

Again, why? You ignore the insight of her experience within government. But I'm delighted you don't mind her being in the administration. Your evident intelligence makes your opinion so important.

by Anonymousreply 178August 5, 2020 6:26 PM

damn this bitch is bitter.

by Anonymousreply 179August 5, 2020 6:29 PM

Rice should never have never enter the equation. It should've been between Harris and Warren or someone who was a governor. Governors are the only other public office that requires both state and international travel/political deal making outside of the president's administration.

The only other politicians that come close are Mayors from the largest cities in America like Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, etc...

by Anonymousreply 180August 5, 2020 6:37 PM

R178, because perception is everything. Dems need to put up people who have a proven record of serving as elected officials, not selected officials. Again, what's wrong with her being in the administration itself? There are tons of qualified elected officials including women of color. All you're doing is making the ticket even less appealing by having someone who has never been elected. That may work with the moron racists on the right who only require a certain skin color, but not Dems.

by Anonymousreply 181August 5, 2020 6:38 PM

I don't accept the ticket is unappealing on it's face or that Rice makes it any more unattractive.

So what you're saying is you have a problem with Biden.

OK. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 182August 5, 2020 6:39 PM

They're being considered for VP and yet they're also victims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 5, 2020 6:42 PM

He needs to announce ASAP. Abrams was the one who made this a huge public thing.

by Anonymousreply 184August 5, 2020 6:43 PM

I'd laugh my ass off if it's Lujan Grisham or Duckworth: the media can't use the "a woman of color must be VP" angle. They'll have to be explicit.

by Anonymousreply 185August 5, 2020 6:46 PM

Biden needs to not take the bait of the Reality Show Reveal aspect of this.

Biden is running for President. Those VP candidates are NOT running for a rose from The Batchelor.

Let government go back to doing the work of the people.

There will be plenty of courtroom fireworks for Trump for years to go.

by Anonymousreply 186August 5, 2020 6:48 PM

Nice article in Vogue today about Duckworth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 5, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote] Duckworth, I don't know her beyond being an amputee and vet.

Then you know all that her stans on DL know about her. I promise you they know nothing about her beyond these two facts, and yet we're supposed to believe she is the only viable choice. Okay.

by Anonymousreply 188August 5, 2020 6:58 PM

Biden is suicidal if he wants Rice’s ultra right drama queen troublemaking son protesting against everything the administration tries to do. This is bad PR that will never stop.

by Anonymousreply 189August 5, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote] Not sure she could get through a campaign, no idea really,

Susan Rice has been involved in Presidential campaigns since 1988.

by Anonymousreply 190August 5, 2020 7:10 PM

It seems to me if it is going to be Harris he could have decided that on his original schedule. The longer it drags on the more it suggests there's ambivalence about somebody. Since she's the presumed lead and she hasn't closed the deal, it must be about her.

by Anonymousreply 191August 5, 2020 7:12 PM

A lot of these voters voted for Obama and then Trump.

They realize Trump is terrible so will vote for Biden and whomever he chooses

by Anonymousreply 192August 5, 2020 7:14 PM

People are still going to vote for Biden regardless of who’s on the ticket. The problem is that Biden is highly likely to die in office. Then do we really want Susan never-held-office-before in charge of the country? What’s her health care policy? What’s her tax plan? What’s her education plan? What members of Congress does she have working relationships with? Which judicial appointments is she going to make?

by Anonymousreply 193August 5, 2020 8:20 PM

Golly, R193... as his nominee, I kinda guess her policy plans are... his.

And I don't know how we're going to find out any of the rest of this. Gosh, I wish we had, like, people employed to ask questions and then put what they find out on the internet and the television and even on paper.

by Anonymousreply 194August 5, 2020 8:22 PM

[quote]They're being considered for VP and yet they're also victims.

They’re running for the second most powerful office in the world, and yet still want to play the perpetual victim card. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 195August 5, 2020 8:22 PM

R193... what were Tim Kaine's policies under Hillary?

What were Biden's under Obama?

What were yours before the brain damage?

by Anonymousreply 196August 5, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote]And I don't know how we're going to find out any of the rest of this. Gosh, I wish we had, like, people employed to ask questions and then put what they find out on the internet and the television and even on paper.

We have hacks like Joy Reid that have an agenda they want to promote.

by Anonymousreply 197August 5, 2020 8:25 PM

R196, Hillary and Obama weren’t nearly 80 years old, so most people didn’t care too much about the possibility of their running mates becoming President over the next four years.

by Anonymousreply 198August 5, 2020 8:27 PM

involved and constant target of assholes in the media and on the Right are two very different things r190

by Anonymousreply 199August 5, 2020 8:30 PM

Do you seriously think she can’t handle it? If Biden thinks she can, and his team thinks she can, and she’s not a stranger to campaigns, then that’s more than enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 200August 5, 2020 8:32 PM

R193, the role of VP literally exists because of the possibility that the President might keel over. Do you seriously think that no one asks these questions prior to selecting someone? Sarah Palin held elected office. Who would you rather have as VP? Susan Rice or Sarah Palin? I know what my answer is.

by Anonymousreply 201August 5, 2020 8:35 PM

I love him dearly': Susan Rice opens up about Trump-supporting son

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 5, 2020 8:37 PM

A running mate is selected precisely to support the platform on which the ticket runs. That's what the vetting process is for. I know DL has a hard time grasping anything other than wardrobe and likability as criteria for the role, but I can assure you the vetting process for a vice-presidential candidate it a lot more considered than the brain trust on this site. (For example, I think they expand the ratings beyond power suits to shoes and accessories, so you Kaftanastans can rest easy your gal is probably still in the lead!)

The expectation is the veep will hew closely to the platform that people voted for. That is why you hear rumblings about Harris... will she stick to the plan? Or Warren... can she reconcile herself to the center?

Susan Rice is no more likely to upset a demised Biden apple cart than any other possible veep candidate. And, again, from the Axios story: "Rice is getting a big bounce from Obama people who claim her presence on the ticket would guarantee the enthusiastic presence of both Barack and Michelle Obama on the campaign trail." So what does that tell you? Or are Barak and Michelle in on this Trojan horse threat that you've uncovered?

by Anonymousreply 203August 5, 2020 8:39 PM

The Washington Examiner? Really?

by Anonymousreply 204August 5, 2020 8:39 PM

Exactly, R203. Frankly, I’d be fine with Harris or Rice, but I think I’m more firmly on team Rice at this point.

by Anonymousreply 205August 5, 2020 8:41 PM

People here are acting as if Biden, in wanting to pick a black woman as VP, is relegating himself to nominating a sassy nail technician named Lawanda. Like, there are no black women who are as qualified to be VP as any white man.

by Anonymousreply 206August 5, 2020 8:47 PM

I wish he'd had the objective but not made the announcement. It's turned into a distraction from a fine objective. I dread the prospect of Kamala Harris as veep because of her obnoxious ass lickers on here, but I don't think she's any less able to do the job than my preferred choice. Any of the women under consideration would be great in the job and capable of taking over. Some probably have the character to conduct themselves with less flash and fewer t-shirts than others.

by Anonymousreply 207August 5, 2020 8:50 PM

Two angry black women. We’re doomed. White voters that have been flocking to Biden will flee. Amy Klobuchar would have been the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 208August 5, 2020 8:54 PM

Biden is way too old for the VP to NOT matter. He messed up when he eliminated half the US population and said he was only going to choose a woman. I hate identity politics. You can do this without making such a big annoucement for political gain, which is why he did it. I like Tammy Baldwin and hope she is the surprise; otherwise, I am not enthusiastic for any of the others.

by Anonymousreply 209August 5, 2020 9:03 PM

I can only imagine the feverishly racist brain that sees Susan Rice and Kamala Harris as angrier than a woman who flings staplers at her staff.

by Anonymousreply 210August 5, 2020 9:08 PM

R209 So, when Kennedy chose a white protestant from the south to balance his ticket, that was wrong too, right?

by Anonymousreply 211August 5, 2020 9:28 PM

and even if Biden doesn't keel over in 4 years, whoever he picks will have a big leg up on the next election, which I strongly suspect Biden won't run in. It's not crazy to wonder where somebody like Susan Rice who has never run for any office might stand on non-foreign policy issues. Well not crazy to anyone who isn't a Rice Queen hopelessly invested in the idea that it MUST be SUSAN Dammit!!!

by Anonymousreply 212August 5, 2020 9:40 PM

If its down to these two it has to be Kamala. I wanted Pete, but I'll happily vote for Biden Harris.

by Anonymousreply 213August 5, 2020 9:43 PM

Some very low-information Republicans might think that he has picked Condoleezzy Rice and decide to vote for Biden by mistake.

by Anonymousreply 214August 5, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote]I wanted Pete, but I'll happily vote for Biden Harris.

Pete is in the same category as S. Abrams. He's a gay man, she's a black woman - being either is hard enough to get votes from white men and women without the added bonus of very little experience in political office.

by Anonymousreply 215August 5, 2020 10:25 PM

You will vote for Biden/Cheryl if you have to, motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 216August 5, 2020 10:26 PM

Why are you lot so threatened by angry black women, yet angry white men are seen as tough men who take no prisoners?

by Anonymousreply 217August 5, 2020 10:34 PM

There are far too much people of color, women, and young people who don’t feel they are obligated to vote for Biden, or at all. The VP choice should be made to make those necessary voters feel compelled to vote Biden.

by Anonymousreply 218August 5, 2020 10:34 PM

If he picks Harris, Rice can’t do anything, but if he picks Rice, he will make a powerful enemy.

by Anonymousreply 219August 5, 2020 10:36 PM

You just don't seem all that powerful to me r219.

by Anonymousreply 220August 5, 2020 10:37 PM

LOL... I think he means Kamala Carrington Colby.

by Anonymousreply 221August 5, 2020 10:39 PM

I want Elizabeth Warren. Frankly, I want her as president. I don't give a fuck what color or gender they are as long as they're qualified. the assholes are people who expect them to be a certain race/gender/religion/sexuality.

As a voter, all you should require is intelligence and experience. Donald Trump should be cleaning toilets in a prison as an inmate. Garbage in every way and anyone who votes for him is cockroach shit.

by Anonymousreply 222August 5, 2020 10:40 PM

This is how it's going down:

VP--Harris

SOS--Rice

AG--Yates

The 3 most important positions in a Biden administration will all be women.

by Anonymousreply 223August 5, 2020 10:42 PM

Secretary of Interior Design--Buttigeig.

by Anonymousreply 224August 5, 2020 10:56 PM

Some Democrats won’t by then to make decisions based on their personal preference or they are dreams about what the ideal American electorate would vote upon. The only criterion For Biden should be will this person help me win swing states such as North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Arizona, and Georgia? People who do not appeal to the politics of voters there should be automatically disqualified

by Anonymousreply 225August 5, 2020 10:58 PM

Some Democrats want Biden to Make decisions based on their elitist urban personal preferences or fantasies about how they wish the majority a swing state voters would vote.

by Anonymousreply 226August 5, 2020 11:00 PM

Rice over Harris. Khive can take several seats.

by Anonymousreply 227August 5, 2020 11:01 PM

Harris over Rice. The Rice Queens can take several seats.

by Anonymousreply 228August 5, 2020 11:12 PM

I am totally not unhappy with R223's prediction. Make Pete the Chief of Staff or UN guy and then we've got a ballgame.

by Anonymousreply 229August 5, 2020 11:16 PM

I frankly would love to see Kamala Harris debate Miss Pence...

by Anonymousreply 230August 5, 2020 11:19 PM

Who in the hell even put Susan Rice's name out there in the first place? Dems nominate actual elected officials. People like Buttigieg didn't get it because he is too inexperienced compared to the other candidates. Since when did we pull stupid shit like this? She's a very intelligent woman, but win a fucking local office before it's even a consideration.

I mean at least she's an intelligent un-elected person unlike Trump - that's all she has going for her as a consideration.

by Anonymousreply 231August 5, 2020 11:19 PM

Bernie Bros whining about the "vicious" Khive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 5, 2020 11:21 PM

Bernie bros sure lead sad and desperate lives.

by Anonymousreply 233August 5, 2020 11:23 PM

Latest Hill poll has Biden’s lead shrinking to 3, with Trump retaking the lead among independents and midwestern voters. I hope it turns out to be an outlier

by Anonymousreply 234August 5, 2020 11:24 PM

Poor Brihana feeling the wrath.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235August 5, 2020 11:25 PM

Give me Biden or give me death.

by Anonymousreply 236August 5, 2020 11:25 PM

Okay I really need it to be Harris then.

by Anonymousreply 237August 5, 2020 11:29 PM

All hell will break lose if Biden doesn't pick Kamala.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238August 5, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote]I frankly would love to see Kamala Harris debate Miss Pence...

At least we know that Kamala knows how to debate. We don’t know what Susan Rice would do, because she’s never been in a debate.

Personally I’d rather see Warren assassinate Pence, just like she did to Bloomberg.

by Anonymousreply 239August 5, 2020 11:39 PM

Biden lead shrinks to only three

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 5, 2020 11:43 PM

It’s gonna be Candace Owen! That’ll get the tRump voters! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 241August 5, 2020 11:56 PM

The fact is, there are no perfect choices here - in fact, there seldom are.

Had BLM not been given the leg up it has after Floyd's death - now revealed to be a heart attack from a drug overdose - Biden might have had the luxury of picking someone not because she's responsive to a blown up social trending issue..

Especially given his age and, I'm sorry but it is visible, declining mental faculties, the VP pick has to be someone that the public not only believes can do the job if he can't halfway through, but that they want to do the job.

Warren fits that bill better than the others. And for all the bitching about the global corporatists and their predations on national economies (not just America's), Warren is their sworn enemy.

If the Democrats are serious about getting into position to bring about meaningful economic change over the long term, acceding to a momentary pressure to make it a black woman no matter the cost (and there is some likely cost) isn't the way to go.

They'll go for the short money again. And they may win. But they'll sacrifice a bigger opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 242August 5, 2020 11:56 PM

I do not care.

I will not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Biden was not my first choice. He was my second. But I am THRILLED with him.

I will be THRILLED with whomever his VP pick is.

THRILLED!

by Anonymousreply 243August 6, 2020 12:18 AM

Rice, Rice, Rice!

by Anonymousreply 244August 6, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote]Biden lead shrinks to only three

Conveniently leaves out that that pollster is lower rated on 538 than even Rasmussen. It's a trash poll looking for clicks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 6, 2020 1:49 AM

R188, there have been numerous Duckworth articles posted and discussed. You don't read, I take it, but just get all you info spoon-fed to you by CNN in during commercial breaks on Bravo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 6, 2020 1:51 AM

R188

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 6, 2020 1:52 AM

R188, this is Frank Bruni's piece about her being the best pick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 6, 2020 1:53 AM

R188, a piece she wrote herself in reply to Tucker Carlson's attacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 6, 2020 1:53 AM

R188, an opinion piece from the Washington Post about why she's the safest pick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 6, 2020 1:54 AM

It can't be Rice. He has her in there to make Harris (who I want) more appealing.

He's offered Rice the State Department, I'll bet.

by Anonymousreply 251August 6, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote] I'm sorry but it is visible, declining mental faculties

Stop telling that lie.

by Anonymousreply 252August 6, 2020 2:22 AM

R112. 1 out of every 27 Americans lives in NYC which has a population greater than 40 of the 50 states.

NYC has a population greater than Idaho, Montana, 2 Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, added together.

Stupid white people, that explains it.

by Anonymousreply 253August 6, 2020 2:26 AM

Michael Moore is predicting Trump will win again. The identity politics of picking a woman will be a short term diversion and may bring in a bump which could evaporate quickly if Americans in the midwest feel uneasy with Biden. I never question a person's motives for who they vote for, I just wish more and more would vote.

by Anonymousreply 254August 6, 2020 2:32 AM

R254 Michael Moore wanted the election postponed, MIchael Moore said the Trump would refuse the election results, Michael Moore said Trump will win (Dec 2019), Michael Moore says that the only Trump can win is if he cheats (May 2020).

Michael Moore is all over the fucking map. If you look up the dictionary definition of "jumping the shark", there's a pic of Michael Moore. There is pretty much no one that you need to listen less about 2020 politics.

by Anonymousreply 255August 6, 2020 2:42 AM

R254. Link please for Michael Moore's prediction. I just googled Michael Moore, and he hasn't spoken about the presidential race since June 13, but the story was just cautioning Dems not to take a Biden win for granted.

I couldn't find anything about Michael Moore predicting a Trump win.

by Anonymousreply 256August 6, 2020 2:45 AM

Kamala became the front runner from the moment Amy threw in the towel. The fact that she can’t close and the announcement been postponed is not a great sign for her. Rice is looking more and more likely at this point.

by Anonymousreply 257August 6, 2020 6:04 AM

I think this kills it for Rice. Trump would say "If your own family won't vote for you, why should America?" So I think it's going to be VP Kamala Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258August 6, 2020 6:28 AM

Biden said from the beginning he wants a VP he is comfortable with.

He is giving everyone time to come around to Rice.

Kamala would be a great AG or SCOTUS justice.

by Anonymousreply 259August 6, 2020 6:31 AM

Biden is stupid. He shouldn’t have committed to this nonsense. He is pandering. There are not good choices. Don’t pick someone based on their gender or race. Pick the best candidate to help win the vote. Kamala is almost as polarizing as Trump.

by Anonymousreply 260August 6, 2020 6:34 AM

So what male would have been a better choice, r260?

The VP is never the BEST choice, whatever that even means.

by Anonymousreply 261August 6, 2020 6:41 AM

Rice is disqualified because she has an ugly gene (inside and out) that has clearly carried to her son. That creature is fucking painful to look at.

by Anonymousreply 262August 6, 2020 6:53 AM

And they're a nice looking couple. Usually, bi-racial kids are gorgeous. He's fugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263August 6, 2020 7:04 AM

R263 - only in DC would he be considered nice looking.

by Anonymousreply 264August 6, 2020 7:44 AM

R260 = Sue Sarandon being cunty again

No one ever will be as dangerous and polarizing as Trump. So fuck you! Just gag and die already, cunttroll

by Anonymousreply 265August 6, 2020 8:23 AM

I'm just sayin': a black female will be Biden's 'Sarah Palin'. And if he goes ahead and does this, I have to question his decision-making and political savvy; I thought he was smarter than that.

by Anonymousreply 266August 6, 2020 9:09 AM

Hiss, R266. I may not adore some of the women on his purported list, but none of of them come close to meriting a comparison to that knuckle-dragging, dim-witted, attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 267August 6, 2020 9:25 AM

Biden's declining ability to focus, and memory lapses are not a lie. I watched him on television. He's 77 and he'll be 78 in November - more seniors of that age than not have memory lapses and declining mental facilities. Together with, as anyone from Delaware who was around for his career could tell you, he has a longstanding and well known habit of putting his foot in his mouth at the best of times.

Ffs, you think it would be the first time someone with senility issues ever sat in the Oval Office?! Remember how Reagan's Alzheimer's was covered up?!

He needs a VP people feel could step in if necessary.

Not liking the truth doesn't make it any less true.

Biden is a second rate candidate who is only going to get elected because he isn't Trump.

And he's got a list of second-rate candidates for VP, with the exception of Warren, who's been in the game much longer than the others, knows her way around Congress, and has shown herself a staunch enemy of the global corporatists who quietly run the place. It is because of her that American Express had to pay back to customers all those fees it illegally took.

If he were younger and stronger, he wouldn't need a really strong VP so badly, and he could go with the window dressing Nod To The Signs of the Times bullshit.

But he isn't. Fifty percent of seniors over the age of 80 have noticeable senility problems. He'll be 80 halfway into his term.

by Anonymousreply 268August 6, 2020 10:31 AM

Those who are attempting these extremely strained metaphors are showing their asses. Sarah Palin was exposed as a completely ignorant, vacuous dim bulb by the hard hitting journalist...Katie Couric. It revealed McCain’s poor judgment, lack of vetting, and disregard for the American people. In what world would choosing any of these candidates be at all similar?

What is clear is that some people are really really bothered by choosing a Black woman.

by Anonymousreply 269August 6, 2020 11:58 AM

[quote]a black female will be Biden's 'Sarah Palin'.

Wracking my brain to remember a stupider post on the Datalounge.

There was that one time that someone said Dorothy Collins was an inferior Sally Durant Plummer.

by Anonymousreply 270August 6, 2020 12:02 PM

I've always respected Obama and trusted his judgment. So, as long as he's involved (behind the scenes) I'm sure we'll get a great contender. I'm glad Biden committed to choosing a female; it's about time!

by Anonymousreply 271August 6, 2020 1:48 PM

Obama and Biden seem to be pushing for Rice, who is a horrible choice. That’s putting cronyism above sell-ability.

My guess is they want Rice, and are trying to drum up enthusiasm for her by putting her in a group of possibilities, but all they hear is Benghazi.

by Anonymousreply 272August 6, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote] a black female will be Biden's 'Sarah Palin'.

Any black female is unqualified and akin to Sarah Palin. Right. That doesn’t sound racist at all.

by Anonymousreply 273August 6, 2020 2:00 PM

DL won’t be happy with any black woman as VP. And probably not any woman. And most certainly no black person, male or female.

by Anonymousreply 274August 6, 2020 2:01 PM

^ Don't be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 275August 6, 2020 2:09 PM

I'm liking Rice more and more. Her son does sound like a shithead but, men, if that's the worst she's got going on...I don't care.

Im still holding out hope for Duckworth, though. I think she would appeal more to the voters Joe hasn't yet convinced. Either of them are women who could be the "Joe" to his "Barak" instead of an antagonist in his administration.

Harris and Warren, and their supporters, seem to want them in there to push their own agendas and run everything from the backseat, not help Joe with his many well-thought of plans. Those ladies weren't able to get into TWH on their own with those platforms and their personalities, which says that the majority of the Democratic party did not want them. If they did, they would be in the driver's seat not Biden.

by Anonymousreply 276August 6, 2020 2:32 PM

[quote]Any black female is unqualified and akin to Sarah Palin. Right. That doesn’t sound racist at all.

THANK YOU. The level of stupid some of these people come up with in attempting an analogy, is just embarrassing. And worse, they don't comprehend why it was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 277August 6, 2020 2:34 PM

[quote]Harris and Warren, and their supporters, seem to want them in there to push their own agendas and run everything from the backseat

Their supporters are the worst thing about them. Derivative Bernie Bros.

by Anonymousreply 278August 6, 2020 3:05 PM

Especially the Khive who are now terrorising actual Bernie Bros.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279August 6, 2020 3:48 PM

Great out-reach K-Hive! That will bring in votes/support if Harris is chosen as VP! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 280August 6, 2020 3:52 PM

I can't believe I'm living in world where there is such a thing as "the Khive". Why, people? Why!?!?

by Anonymousreply 281August 6, 2020 4:30 PM

I really don't want to hear nothing but BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI for three months.

by Anonymousreply 282August 6, 2020 4:33 PM

R281 Digital communication and social media pervasiveness has flattened reality into these one dimensional "images"... the shape of what it means to be a conscious being is forever altered. Even "Mary!" now is only a trolling barb on a web-based platform. There is no realtime and realspace consequence, so, by definition, there is nothing "of consequence."

by Anonymousreply 283August 6, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]That’s putting cronyism above sell-ability.

And we know that sell-ability mattered to Hillary.

r282, watch The View clip. Brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 6, 2020 6:18 PM

From R108's poll - and Biden mentioning "polling" would play a major part in his selection, I think it has to be Harris. From that link:

When asked to select their pick for Democrats’ vice presidential nomination in a standard poll, 31.9 percent of all respondents chose Harris, 26.8 percent chose Warren and 16.7 percent chose Rice. Abrams and Duckworth were roughly tied with 8.9 percent and 8.7 percent support, respectively, while Demings had 3.9 percent and Bass had 3.3 percent.

When the final preferences of both Democratic and independent voters were counted in the ranked-choice survey, Harris emerged with 54.8 percent support, while Warren had 45.2 percent.

by Anonymousreply 285August 6, 2020 6:42 PM

Blacks prefer Warren.

by Anonymousreply 286August 6, 2020 6:55 PM

The article at OP is nothing but clickbait. The media is desperate for something new to report with respect to Biden's VP search, and the people who are truly in the know are keeping their mouths shut. Now NBC News is reporting that Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is still very much in the mix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287August 6, 2020 7:04 PM

Yes, great way to persuade MAGATS to vote now that a black woman is trying to get the NRA shut down.

by Anonymousreply 288August 6, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote]Now NBC News is reporting that Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is still very much in the mix.

My skin is simply too flawless and glowing to be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 289August 6, 2020 7:26 PM

The VP sweeps is a clown car. They keep adding new people back into the mix.

by Anonymousreply 290August 6, 2020 7:30 PM

I thought Rice was believable and easy to understand in her answer on The View.

by Anonymousreply 291August 6, 2020 7:39 PM

[quote]Do you honestly think that Americans will vote for an oriental Vice-President? Not on your fucking life!

WTF?!!! An ORIENTAL? Who the hell uses that word to describe Asian people? Clueless idiots, that is who. Duckworth is a fucking American hero, middle-Americans will definitely vote for a vet who made sacrifices.

by Anonymousreply 292August 6, 2020 7:52 PM

Ornamentals.

by Anonymousreply 293August 6, 2020 7:56 PM

R286 would make a lively bumper sticker.

by Anonymousreply 294August 6, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote]WTF?!!! An ORIENTAL? Who the hell uses that word to describe Asian people?

"homo" racists.

by Anonymousreply 295August 6, 2020 7:57 PM

Michael Moore is all over the fucking map, R255, because he’s THAT big.

by Anonymousreply 296August 6, 2020 8:02 PM

r106, only hope it is Kamala

by Anonymousreply 297August 6, 2020 8:05 PM

The Khive tried, and failed, to get rid of squad member Rashida Tlaib.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 6, 2020 8:18 PM

[quote]Can anyone in this pointless, ugly thread point to a single presidential election in American history where the decisive factor was the VP choice?

Joe Biden will be the oldest President in the history of the United States of America.

The media, Datalounge, twitter, everyday people are focused on this choice because it is more likely than ever that someone will have to take over for him.

So pointing to an election in history to reference won't work here. This has never happened before.

[quote]There are far too much people of color, women, and young people who don’t feel they are obligated to vote for Biden, or at all. The VP choice should be made to make those necessary voters feel compelled to vote Biden.

Datalounge doesn't have the best grip on this but black people aren't a monolith and picking one as VP won't guarantee him additional black votes from any of those groups you mentioned.

Kamala Harris herself couldn't even get those votes.

by Anonymousreply 299August 6, 2020 8:23 PM

r134 and others. How is Biden bowing down to pressures to pick a black woman when he always was always Biden/Harris 2020. She had known Beau through work as AG and was a friend to the Biden family. People even talked abut them running together. Then the debate happened and it was like - ooh that is over.

Then Amy K. momentum and her dropping out to help him - I think he wanted her for VP and would have went with her except for the Floyd thing. That would have been the mid-west bump. But the climate changed and now if he picks Kamala it's not BLM pressure it's just back to his original choice who probably slipped to 2nd after Amy K deal I think he made.

by Anonymousreply 300August 6, 2020 8:30 PM

I think you're projecting a great deal with the fanciful notion he was always Biden/Harris. I'd like to see a reliable source on that.

I don't think he is bowing to pressure if he picks a black woman. The black women in consideration are all perfectly credible choices for a VP. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I'm just tired of the harping around the question of a black woman in principle. I also said I wish he'd made it a private objective but never put it out there. It's been a pointless distraction.

by Anonymousreply 301August 6, 2020 8:49 PM

How can people sat that Blacks prefer Harris when Blacks didn't support Harris for President.

It don't make no sense...

by Anonymousreply 302August 6, 2020 9:11 PM

[quote] WTF?!!! An ORIENTAL? Who the hell uses that word to describe Asian people?

He should have said non-occidental. It’s still okay to use the other O word, since occidentals don’t have a lobby.

by Anonymousreply 303August 6, 2020 9:15 PM

If the Concern Trolls are trying to convince everyone that Susan Rice will actually help TRump, that’s a good reason for Biden to choose her.

by Anonymousreply 304August 6, 2020 9:42 PM

He should announce this week. It would be a free boost to his campaign, people talking about him, interviews with the new VP...

by Anonymousreply 305August 6, 2020 11:09 PM

The KHive is a real embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 306August 6, 2020 11:30 PM

With Harris you are going to get Republicans dissatisfied with Trump. Not sure with Rice since she lacks experience and has Benghazi hanging over her head.

by Anonymousreply 307August 6, 2020 11:40 PM

Benghazi is a huge detriment

by Anonymousreply 308August 6, 2020 11:57 PM

Here’s what is baffling. We are all literally talking to each other in two different languages. The first group believes that an election is about choosing the best candidate, defining ideals and then selecting a person who most closely matches that template.

The second group believes all that matters is winning. If you think this idea is ridiculous, I am begging you as a fellow citizen to consider trusting the collective wisdom of this group. We believe in playing the long game.

To the first group, which is half this thread, please give your fellow citizens trust and respect and follow their lead right now. We can’t fix anything **if we don’t win**. You’ve got to win first — that’s called having a strategy.

by Anonymousreply 309August 7, 2020 12:07 AM

Winning should be the highest priority

by Anonymousreply 310August 7, 2020 12:14 AM

[quote]Benghazi is a huge detriment

Only if you're an absolute moron who couldn't see the glaring hypocrisy of the right-wing who politicized it including Republican scum who rejected the request for security money FOR that embassy prior and also knowing full-well we could point to the Republican-led Iraq war where those behind it knowingly lied, used 9/11 to get that war and cost the lives of 4400+ troops (ie. 1100x higher casualties than in Benghazi), a million civilians, destabilized a country and initiated the rise of ISIS, but sure, let's pretend four deaths in a volatile nation going through transition -and also not the only time a US embassy has been attacked- was the greatest travesty in American history because the right never disappoints when it comes to being full of so much bullshit that wearing boots at the top of the Empire State Building. still couldn't protect you from stepping in that steaming pile.

by Anonymousreply 311August 7, 2020 12:18 AM

The Republicans have this bitch ready to be dragged out on TV as soon as Susan Rice is announced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312August 7, 2020 12:21 AM

Susan Rice doesn’t just make sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 313August 7, 2020 12:24 AM

R311, you realize it doesn’t matter if you think the Benghazi issue is moranic. So was Hillary’s emails and health. But those issues cost her the election

by Anonymousreply 314August 7, 2020 12:43 AM

While I hope it isn't Rice, "Benghazi!" can easily be countered with "Russian bounties!" Or "COVID DEATHS!"

But if it's the long-expected Harris, why this delay, this suspense?

I agree with the pundit who said that Joe didn't need a historic ticket; he simply needed a sensible ticket. But Team Biden decided to appeal to the Democratic base, a given, instead of to a broader demographic.

Alas, my preference was Biden/O'Rourke. None of the women mentioned, and none of the male debaters, can match Beto for passion, charisma, oratory, youthfulness, energy, and true-blue Democratic ideals.

I think Duckworth would be the best of the women. Take the flag, the military, veterans, and patriotism right out of the Republicans' hypocritical crutches. (Kerry had that handed to him, but while he had the gravitas, he was without the killer instinct for any counter-attack to the Swiftboat liars.)

Trump is getting to be a cornered street rat. We've got to seek and destroy, exterminate the vermin. We've got to save America.

by Anonymousreply 315August 7, 2020 1:04 AM

No Republican is going to vote for Benghazi Rice. They spent years listening to Fox telling them she’s evil. They may hate Trump, but that doesn’t mean they’re going to love Susan Hillary Clinton Benghazi Rice. They’re not deaf. They heard one investigation after another.

Susan Rice has Hillary Clinton and Benghazi tied like an albatross around her neck. Then she’s got a son like Kellyanne Conway has George Conway. We may like George Conway, but her Trump-loving son has the potential to be the Republican version of George Conway.

George Conway has really damaged Trump and Kellyanne. I don’t see what’s so great about having the Republican version of George continually attacking Biden.

by Anonymousreply 316August 7, 2020 1:12 AM

Interesting opinion. I disagree entirely. Susan Rice explained her part in it on the view. You completely overestimate the degree to which anyone cares about Benghazi. And no one convinced by Fox was voting Dem anyway. You really fucked your argument on that one.

by Anonymousreply 317August 7, 2020 1:16 AM

I'd rather Warren than Harris. At least Warren stands for something clear. Other than Nolan Miller and slingback.

by Anonymousreply 318August 7, 2020 1:17 AM

From another thread: This does nothing more than reaffirm the status quo. The people bothered by this weren't going to vote for Biden, anyway, and the NRA has been fatally weakened over the past year by its own internal fighting and multiple lawsuits.

This does nothing more than reaffirm the status quo. The people bothered by this weren't going to vote for Biden, anyway, and Benghazi has been fatally weakened over nearly ten years since it happened by the pandemic, the economy and multiple hearings that resulted in nothing.

by Anonymousreply 319August 7, 2020 1:21 AM

"Biden's closest advisers—Steve Ricchetti, Mike Donilon, and Ted Kaufman—are pushing for Harris. On the other hand, the Obamas want Rice. Supposedly, both Barack and Michelle would be even more enthusiastic supporters of the ticket with Rice on it. They acknowledge that Republicans will bring up Benghazi immediately (see below), but think Rice can get out in front of it by bringing it up herself and admitting that she made a mistake based on incomplete intelligence.

Scroll down to "Axios: It's Harris or Rice"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320August 7, 2020 2:24 AM

* sorry for repeating OP's post - losing my mind over this shit

by Anonymousreply 321August 7, 2020 2:26 AM

This is the silly season. WTF are we debating. The goal is to defeat Trump Period. If Joe Biden decides to have one of the OBama's dogs for his running mate I will vote for that fucker. Stop listening to negative trolls who want to divide discourage and depress. Fuck the hell off We all need to get some fresh air, and listen to some music. Take a vacation from politics. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 322August 7, 2020 3:02 AM

Any leaks from the Pelosi camp re her preference?

by Anonymousreply 323August 7, 2020 3:19 AM

Hey, Pelosi just posted at R323.....just saying...

by Anonymousreply 324August 7, 2020 3:22 AM

Sorry, I meant R322. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 325August 7, 2020 3:23 AM

Apparently the GOP wants him to pick Rice so they can start up with Benghazi again

by Anonymousreply 326August 7, 2020 3:23 AM

The Obamas are crazy if they think Rice can just say, “sorry, my bad lol” about Benghazi and that will take it off the table. Absolutely nuts. The Republicans will pound it into the ground night and day.

I heard last week they were trying to find a way to investigate Hillary some more about it. If they do, every minute on TV will be an anti-Biden ticket commercial. And Trump will use his bully pulpit to talk about Rice and compare her to Hitler or whatever.

Biden’s best chance to win is to get crossover votes. Every Democratic winner has had crossover votes. You might as well say to crossover Republicans and Independents, we don’t want your vote, we want to lose and install Trump for another four years so he can finish destroying the country.

People on this thread saying, maybe the Republicans will let it go are nuts too. Of course they won’t. Ever hear of Merrick Garland? They are petty. And they never give up a talking point, ever.

by Anonymousreply 327August 7, 2020 3:56 AM

Watch the View clip @ r284 if you think Rice could not counter Benghazi.

by Anonymousreply 328August 7, 2020 4:21 AM

I despise Harris but again, the GOP is hoping it’s Rice. No one is going to listen to her nuanced explanation. She’ll be the new Hillary.

I want Duckworth or Demings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329August 7, 2020 4:29 AM

I don't think it makes much difference but i think team Biden should have scoured the landscape to see if there was a black women who had the experience and wouldn't hurt the ticket before he announced he was picking a woman because frankly Harris and Rice are a dud and the Obamas need to chill because they may feel bad that Rice took the fall for Bengahzi but his 8 years are done and we don't need a damn scandal right out the gate on this. She can be secretary of state which to me is way better with her knowledge of foreign affairs.

by Anonymousreply 330August 7, 2020 4:47 AM

Sorry, but Barack and "We go high" Michelle need to butt out.

Obama did Joe wrong in 2016, promoting his female SOS (his hoping to be our queen-maker of history) instead of, as is political tradition, his VP. So Biden acquiesced, but it's his turn now.

And if neither Obama nor Rice, as with HRC, is strong enough to tell the truth about Republican failure to support financially the Benghazi consulate security, who needs a mealy-mouthed apology?

by Anonymousreply 331August 7, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote]White Midwestern and Southern independents and swing voters will NOT vote for Joe Biden if Kamala Harris and/or Susan Rice are on the ticket.

What bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 332August 7, 2020 6:03 AM

We have to defeat Trump. Period. This chatter about what voters will do is bullshit. IMO, Biden needs white women. The dumb ones who voted for Trump. Now some of the more intelligent ones may have had enough of Trump ruining their lives. They will go for Joe. The sad truth is women don't support women. Women have been bred and taught to compete with one another. It's in their social DNA. So women won't support another woman, like Hillary. They'll vote for Joe. Whether or not this translates into a 2024 for a woman is anyone's guess. I'm with Joe who ever he chooses. But I wish it had been Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 333August 7, 2020 12:18 PM

If you think Rice's answer on The View is nuanced I'd hate to hear your theory on a typical Bill or Hillary Clinton answer on anything?

by Anonymousreply 334August 7, 2020 2:04 PM

[quote]The Republicans will pound it into the ground night and day.

And as we live in terror of one story from ten years ago, where do we start on the eighty mile long list of Republican scandals and failures and vomit?

Come on. Stop trying to throw up Benghazi when what you're really saying is I don't want Rice. Benghazi is no credible reason to oppose anybody's nomination.

by Anonymousreply 335August 7, 2020 2:06 PM

This does nothing more than reaffirm the status quo. The people bothered by this weren't going to vote for Biden, anyway, and Benghazi has been fatally weakened over nearly ten years since it happened by the pandemic, the economy and multiple hearings that resulted in nothing.

by Anonymousreply 336August 7, 2020 2:07 PM

R331 trust me, Obama can’t stand Hillary. But she was a more powerful figure in the party than Biden at the time. There was no option for Obama not to support her without things getting really ugly, which he wanted to avoid to protect his legacy. I don’t think you can fault him when he really had no other option.

by Anonymousreply 337August 7, 2020 2:08 PM

Stop with this nonsense. It won't be Rice.

by Anonymousreply 338August 7, 2020 2:11 PM

Why deliberately pick a woman with a bad history just because she’s black? That’s idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 339August 7, 2020 2:13 PM

You do know it won't just be the candidate, but the candidate's spouse who's scrutinized? Think Mondale- Ferraro.

But here's the t hing... there isn't a Republican living who can criticize any Democrat about anything.

by Anonymousreply 340August 7, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote]trust me, Obama can’t stand Hillary.

I don't trust you. He made her his SoS.

I can't stand her, but I doubt Obama felt the same way. I think he respects her,

[quote]Why deliberately pick a woman with a bad history just because she’s black? That’s idiotic.

Actually, the only idiotic thing are people like you who buy into the right-wing's politicizing of Benghazi and turning it into a "pizzagate" before there was a pizzagate. All the right-wing ever does is gaslight and start conspiracies which idiots buy into it....as they ignore the right-wing actually causing catastrophic events.

by Anonymousreply 341August 7, 2020 2:16 PM

But it wins elections....

by Anonymousreply 342August 7, 2020 2:18 PM

I am fascinated by those of you stuck on the black woman thing. Every black woman mentioned is vastly more qualified then either Trump or Pence. Or those two idiots Jared and Ivanka who are currently running the asylum.

I'm not calling anyone any "ist", but some of you just refuse to look past your own personal biases and wants, the bubbles you live in, and the reality that whoever Uncle Joe picks is going to be trashed by the republicans. There is not one perfect candidate. You don't build a career in government and politics without making enemies and making some choices that can be used against you.

I get it, most of you want either Liz Warren or Duckworth. Two candidates who have just as much baggage as the black lady options. The Republicans are going to be ready for whomever Biden picks. They've got tons of oppo research to use. These are the same people who turned John Kerry's military service against him.

by Anonymousreply 343August 7, 2020 2:29 PM

R343 we deserve far better than “better than trump”

by Anonymousreply 344August 7, 2020 2:31 PM

R343, these are people who go on about affirmative action while ignoring the fact that white men can be the stupidest motherfuckers on earth and become president. We have someone who is the equivalent of a doctor who has no idea about human anatomy as president; that's who Trump is. Amazing that a lot of these people can't see how hypocritical and biased they are when the bar could be set so low for white men and allows an embarrassment like Trump to even run, let alone win and then allow him a second term if someone like Harris was chosen.

by Anonymousreply 345August 7, 2020 2:36 PM

Well all I can tell you R344 is that these are our current choices and all of those choices are better than the current monster in the White House. If you are a democrat and if you have issues with how we choose candidates and the primary process, you need to take that up with the DNC.

by Anonymousreply 346August 7, 2020 2:38 PM

I share your enthusiasm!

by Anonymousreply 347August 7, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote] I get it, most of you want either Liz Warren or Duckworth. Two candidates who have just as much baggage as the black lady options.

R343, what baggage do they have? In particular, what baggage does Duckworth have? Is it whether she's a "natural born citizen" (cf. being born in America)? Because no one's going to buy that, given Mitt Romney's dad running for president (born in Mexico), as did Ted Cruz (Canada), and McCain (Panama). They'll also take a look at her titanium legs and that'll be enough.

But what other baggage does Duckworth have? Warren?

by Anonymousreply 348August 7, 2020 2:47 PM

Things are still fluid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349August 7, 2020 2:50 PM

This thread.... the most redundant, unnecessary, troll-riddled thread in a long time. 55.5 million unemployed. 160k dead. 300k dead projected by December. Calls to delay the election.

Yeah, but black women, and Benghazi (2012, 4 Americans killed, not 160k) are the issues that inspire concern.

by Anonymousreply 350August 7, 2020 2:51 PM

This thread.... the most redundant, unnecessary, troll-riddled thread in a long time. 55.5 million unemployed. 160k dead. 300k dead projected by December. Calls to delay the election.

Yeah, but black women, and Benghazi (2012, 4 Americans killed, not 160k) are the issues that inspire concern.

by Anonymousreply 351August 7, 2020 2:51 PM

Another "safe choice" opinion piece (like Frank Bruni's and the Post's): guess who.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352August 7, 2020 2:52 PM

"They're totally qualified"

"Who's going to focus on Benghazi when 150,000 are dead and unemployment is at 30%?"

Not the point. The question is who's going to help Biden win with the biggest margin in the swing states. It has to be overwhelming, on election night and during the mail-in count, each and every day.

If you think that's Rice of Harris, you don't know this country. You know your coastal city.

by Anonymousreply 353August 7, 2020 3:02 PM

The idea that because Trump is unqualified, that gives everyone else a pass is idiotic.

Idiots picked him, idiots voted for him, and idiots are panting to vote for him again. It doesn’t matter if YOU like him or approve of him, millions of idiots voted for him and voting is how Presidents get elected. They don’t pass an IQ test. Maybe they should, but they don’t.

Trump is a special case. Said idiots worship him as a god, and he gets a pass no matter what he does. If he shot a baby on Fifth Avenue, his idiotic worshippers would say they hate babies too and shoot their own babies. That’s how brainwashed they are.

The question here isn’t whether Trump is a wonderful person, the question is whether you can run someone against him that disgusted and still sane non-Trumper Republicans will vote for. Period. No, that’s not some radical left winger that wants to give away free money or get trans teenagers to pick government officials. We need a solid, middle of the road, non-controversial, scandal-free individual that doesn’t piss off alienated Republicans and Independents from the get-go. Why is that so hard to understand?

This is not the election to prove what a radical you are, how you can overlook stupidity and scandal, or arbitrarily pick someone due to their appearance. Pick somebody that’s not going to piss anybody off. Put the edgier picks in the Biden cabinet AFTER he gets in. After. Not before. Why is this so hard to understand?

by Anonymousreply 354August 7, 2020 3:13 PM

R353 Black voter turnout at 2008 levels in Milwaukee, Detroit, and Philly would have delivered those three states. The "non-coastal" world is more than the white Trump voters you are so responsive to.

by Anonymousreply 355August 7, 2020 3:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356August 7, 2020 3:20 PM

R355, obviously those people are unreliable voters, since they didn’t bother to show up, even to keep Trump out of office. Even then, people knew he was a racist POS. If that’s not a good enough reason to vote, then find different voters that will show up.

After the last four years, anyone that has to be begged and groveled in front of to vote can go fuck themselves. Cater to people that show up.

by Anonymousreply 357August 7, 2020 3:28 PM

R355, if it weren't Hillary, If it'd been a white male centrist, the black urban vote wouldn't have been needed in the Midwest. There are people there who vote all the time: white suburbanites. They don't need to be "inspired" or "motivated" by "representation" to vote. They just do, and the question is whether you want their votes or not.

You want diversity and representation? Fine - in the Cabinet after the election. This "it's time" thing is insane.

by Anonymousreply 358August 7, 2020 3:30 PM

R357 You are trying much too hard. Black women, like older voters in general, are the "most" reliable voters. "Those people...." indeed.

by Anonymousreply 359August 7, 2020 3:30 PM

R359, all we hear is that young black voters refuse to vote unless the candidate is exactly like them and perfect in every way. Ironically, these are the people pushing the party to the right.

If people on the left refuse to vote, guess who shows up? Moderates and more conservative voters. If you don’t want your voice to be listened to, don’t vote and nobody will give a shit what you think.

by Anonymousreply 360August 7, 2020 3:36 PM

R359, they're the only reason Roy Moore isn't in the Senate right now, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 361August 7, 2020 4:02 PM

I'm not sure I buy the narrative that some of you are trying to push that swing states won't vote for a black woman. First you need to convince me that swing states will vote for Liz Warren, the primary candidate who could not even win her own state. I have no issues with Tammy Duckworth, but I think those of you pushing her are naive to think that she is a slam dunk pick.

And for reliable black voters, we don't give two shits if a candidate is black or white or green. Because we've been voting for white candidates all our lives. Some of you really need to get some black friends.

by Anonymousreply 362August 7, 2020 4:13 PM

R362 Exactly, this is so warped an analysis that "working class white people" in swing states are the key to the election. Women in the suburbs and higher turnout of black voters will capture the rust belt swing states. Shift to Biden by older voters in FL because of covid will deliver that state. Those two things happening and the election is over.

R360 You are aware that younger white voters also do not turn out, right? Any turnout gains among younger voters of any sort will benefit Biden. Biden can win, however, without that.

by Anonymousreply 363August 7, 2020 4:21 PM

R362, I think Duckworth is a slam dunk in swing states, but I also think Demings is a close second. It's not about the VP selection being Black: it's about being the wrong Black woman, i.e., someone not appealing to swing voters. Harris: she runs to race and gender first thing, and has an unappealing officiousness. Rice is obvious. It may be unfair, but the fact on the ground is that white independent (i.e., marginal) middle-class voters in swing states aren't going to vote for for a person they perceive as "an angry and/or overly vocal Black woman." Yeah, Harris or Rice may mobilize young white voters, black votes, whatever. But I wouldn't be so sure. The great bulk of votes in swing states that are ripe for picking, guaranteed voters, are at the margins (i.e., white suburban middle-class voters).

Many here think that it's inevitable that Biden will defeat Trump, so why not go with a dream pick for VP - someone they like as an "icon" or similar. Someone who's a good symbol to push sociocultural change, or someone promising meaningful structural change (Warren). II think it'll actually be very close: not just voter preferences, but also voter suppression will make it very hard to beat Cheeto as we approach November 3.

You want the least polarizing at this point, when Biden is ahead. You don't want to add volatility to a working formula. The world reacts to volatility unpredictably: some people are never buffeted by such swings, but many of us have experienced it, and know that small ripples can have huge consequences - for good or bad, to be fair, but why go there if Biden is up by 5% in swing states?

by Anonymousreply 364August 7, 2020 4:37 PM

r302, She wasn't ready to be president, but she was ready to be VP at the beginning of the campaign season. Now we see who is actually in position to be president - the incumbent and Biden. She is starting to look a lot better.

People are learning more about her and not just first impressions the Nation had. The primaries were always going to cycle around to everyone giving them a chance to be in front when there were so many candidates. She dropped out to soon to see it likely cycle back to her probably in 3rd place.

by Anonymousreply 365August 7, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote] President Trump has struggled to find a line of attack that works against Mr. Biden. But depending on whom Mr. Biden chooses, Mr. Trump might be able to make this contest not about his Democratic challenger but about the No. 2 person on the ticket.

[quote] That is why questions about the history of one of the front-runners for the position, Representative Karen Bass of California, have such resonance. The Trump campaign has already seized on her trips to Cuba as a young activist and her 2010 appearance at the opening of the Church of Scientology headquarters in Los Angeles.

[quote] “Biden has been a frustratingly elusive target for Trump because Biden does not sound, look or feel like the ‘radical left,’” David Axelrod, who was President Barack Obama’s senior strategist, said in an email. “So Trump is hoping to depict Biden as a Trojan Horse and the running mate as the radical-in-waiting.”

[quote] Many Democrats assume much of this anti-Bass research was unearthed and distributed by one of her rivals; that would hardly be unusual in American politics. Where it came from may not be relevant: The Trump campaign would probably have uncovered it soon enough.

The cult is going to make it all about the VP pick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366August 7, 2020 5:07 PM

Anyone with a brain knows that Kamala is the one who went nuclear on both Bass and Demings.

by Anonymousreply 367August 7, 2020 5:12 PM

Well said, R364.

by Anonymousreply 368August 7, 2020 5:23 PM

I'm besotted with Harris - she's beautiful, especially for a 55 year old woman. Looks DO matter. She's the only one who has that. And of all people, Biden needs a pretty, vibrant woman by his side to perk him up a bit - he and Warren would look like that American Gothic painting with the pitchfork. And Liz is too far left. You tack left in a primary but you go to the center in the general - isn't that an iron-clad rule in politics? Well, in this conservative religious country anyhow.

Harris is winning the polling for VP - almost twice as much as the next most popular, who's Elizabeth Warren (see above)

I have a Masters Degree in History and really do follow politics - but I ignored the Benghazi shit because I knew it was a stitch-up, but anyway, I know 'nothing' about Susan Rice. Figured she was a pleasant, boring wonk. It surprised me that she's seen as an assertive bitchy type. But still, I bet most voters would be saying WHO?

Now we do need the Obamas and if it must be Susan, then ok, she's a nonentity. But again, Harris is killing it in the polling for who people would pick for VP - both Dems and INDEPENDENTS (who trend to the right of the political spectrum).

She was a pretty tough prosecutor, and the "moral majority" or whatever the hell they call themselves are nervous about the protests/BLM...

I don't think she has a downside that comes close to anybody else's downside. (white, obese, disabled, uh, people will be politically correct and say Duckworth is a great choice - but their gut will tell them ewww. I'm talking about the hoi polloi, not the invested type who are inelastic - they know which party they're voting for - or the wildly left and they'd sit out because of BIDEN, not whoever the hell the vp is)

by Anonymousreply 369August 7, 2020 5:43 PM

Yeah , at Kraft Harris is youthful and sexy

by Anonymousreply 370August 7, 2020 6:05 PM

At least Harris

by Anonymousreply 371August 7, 2020 6:05 PM

Three types of people re: Palin in 2016.

"I'd fuck her but I'd never vote for her.", "I wish I looked like Sarah Palin! She's what an American Woman ought to look like, YOU BETCHA!" and "That bitch would arrange an accident for McCain within the month, if they won the election! Thank God for Obama."

Reminds me of the reaction to Harris, in many ways. Harris is more qualified than Sarah, of course, but the shallowness of many of her "fans" and her obvious, naked ambition that doesn't vibe with Biden or his need for a cooperative administration. No way would she choose being a team player in the Biden admin if it meant less attention and no accolades. She's a shark.

Just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 372August 7, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote]these are people who go on about affirmative action while ignoring the fact that white men can be the stupidest motherfuckers on earth and become president.

Black people in South Carolina are the ones who made Biden the Presidential candidate. Most white people wanted someone else. Blacks are the ones who didn’t support Kamala, the only Black woman running. Maybe Karen Bass or Susan Rice should have run in the Primary, since we’re now supposed to believe that they’re both oh-so-qualified and ready to be President on day one.

by Anonymousreply 373August 7, 2020 8:33 PM

[quote]I'm besotted with Harris - she's beautiful, especially for a 55 year old woman. Looks DO matter.

For Christ's fucking sake.

Yes, lets consider the beauty of:

Obama/Biden (50%)

Bush/Cheney (I'm bumming in my pants)

Clinton/Gore (67%?)

Bush/Quayle

Reagan/Bush

Carter/Mondale

Take your shallow and get the fuck out of the grown up conversation. Jesus Christ. When have looks ever mattered in any material way? Moron would be a step up for you.

by Anonymousreply 374August 7, 2020 10:35 PM

Relax, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 375August 7, 2020 10:47 PM

Hush r375. I like a nice tense Rose.

by Anonymousreply 376August 7, 2020 11:01 PM

Why didn't Tammy Duckworth compete in the Democratic election? Agree that Harris and Warren have superior name recognition which is a strong advantage in their bid for VP.

Please remember that Obama was fortunate to run against two of the most hated Republican candidates in GOP history. Huge swathes of Conservatives and Libertarians stated that they'd never, ever vote for a Mormon. Countless flooded Republican-oriented political sites saying McCain should be shot as a traitor long after he was nominated. NO Trump isn't reviled like either Romney nor McCain was at the time by GOP regular voters in the Swing states.

by Anonymousreply 377August 7, 2020 11:57 PM

Name recognition is so important.

by Anonymousreply 378August 8, 2020 12:15 AM

Name recognition means already polarized public opinion. The less name recognition, the greater the opportunities for positioning before public opinion gels. Marketing 101.

by Anonymousreply 379August 8, 2020 12:42 AM

Auntie Maxine wants @KamalaHarris as VP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380August 8, 2020 1:10 AM

It seems unlikely to be Harris or it wouldn’t have taken this long. I wonder if there’s a surprise coming that sees Harris at AG and Rice at State.

by Anonymousreply 381August 8, 2020 1:29 AM

I really want Warren but I'm afraid she'd fuck up the black vote. Of the two I like Rice better but she has too much baggage and the evil fucker will use that so I guess it has to be Harris.

by Anonymousreply 382August 8, 2020 1:33 AM

Breaking: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer traveled to Delaware last weekend to meet with Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee's first known in-person session with a potential running mate as he nears decision. She visited Biden Sunday, 2 high-ranking Mich. Ds tell @AP

by Anonymousreply 383August 8, 2020 1:40 AM

Whatever happens I will be interested to read the behind the scenes story. So many constituencies are invested in various candidates they’ll have to leak why the others weren’t picked, to settle everybody down.

by Anonymousreply 384August 8, 2020 1:51 AM

Oh Joe...

Joe Biden sat for an interview with the National Association of Black Journalists and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists that was released on Thursday, and he managed to step in it. In response to a question about campaign strategy, the presumptive nominee said:

What you all know but most people don't know, unlike the African American community with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things. You go to Florida, you find a very different attitude about immigration in certain places than you do when you're in Arizona. So it's a very different, a very diverse community.

by Anonymousreply 385August 8, 2020 1:55 AM

Just a reminder, but Kamala Harris is both Black and Asian American.

Truthfully, Biden could pick a gnat and I'd vote for him and the gnat over the Traitor Dumpster and his VP Pittance.

They have driven the US into such a deep hole it's going to take everything this country has to dig out of it.

by Anonymousreply 386August 8, 2020 1:58 AM

R382, she has a strong following in the Black community. She's been talking their issues for a long time and there is print and video evidence.

by Anonymousreply 387August 8, 2020 2:13 AM

R382, she has a strong following in the Black community. She's been talking their issues for a long time and there is print and video evidence.

by Anonymousreply 388August 8, 2020 2:13 AM

I’d rather Warren than DL Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 389August 8, 2020 2:15 AM

A small point about Tammy Duckworth, whom I like and who's tough but really not a real public presence, as a US Senator from one of the major states in the US.

When she ran for the US Senate in 2016, she managed to get only 55% of the vote, at roughly 3 million votes, in a very blue state, against a lackluster Republican incumbent, Mark Kirk.

I am not going to speculate on her wider appeal, and certainly her presence on the ticket would not encounter anything like the anti-Black racism that Harris (who is half South Asian) or Rice would encounter, but at the same time, let's not forget the country we're in.

R377 said that McCain and Romney were uniquely unpopular, but let's not forget, Donnie Drumpf barely managed to get as many votes as George W. back in 2004 and no Republican ever has amassed as many votes as Obama did in 2008 (69 million) or 2012 (65 million) or Clinton did in 2016 (65 million). They each have set the standard for popular votes, despite not getting a majority of the White vote (Obama didn't get 50% of the White vote in 2008 or 2012, nor did Clinton in 2016). Republicans, meanwhile, have lost the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 (1992, 1996, 2000, 2008, 2012, 2016) elections.

Ultimately it's going to come down to White women voters, though. If enough of them support a Black female VP, or any of the female VP candidates, we'll have that candidate as our next VP and Biden as the President of the US.

by Anonymousreply 390August 8, 2020 2:18 AM

Could be Whitmer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391August 8, 2020 4:48 AM

Biden is obviously not clicking with the black candidates and he's considering other white women right now. He said a month ago that it would be a black woman and now things appear to have shifted. I wonder if it's a personality thing, or his internal polling is showing resistance to a black VP in the crucial midwestern states?

The fact that he postponed the announcement and now we hear about extra candidates being added by the day is not good news for Harris and Rice.

Now word is coming out that he's talking to Hillary. Hmmm

by Anonymousreply 392August 8, 2020 5:56 AM

Biden never said it would be a black woman. He said it would be a woman.

by Anonymousreply 393August 8, 2020 5:59 AM

Mark my words, Amy Klobuchar is back in the mix. I think it's now between Amy, Gretchen and the senator with no hair.

Rice has too many liabilities, and Harris is not clicking with him somehow.

by Anonymousreply 394August 8, 2020 6:18 AM

Duckworth and Whitmer were named as speakers at the convention. Make of that what you will, but it sounds to me like neither is the nominee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395August 8, 2020 6:41 AM

Now that I read further, it says Warren and Harris will speak as well. So I have no idea.

[quote] The news that Warren and fellow vice presidential contender Harris have already been given speaking roles at the convention, according to multiple sources, might lead to speculation that they have been crossed off of Biden’s list of running mates. But some Democrats said it is not unusual to set aside spots for vice presidential finalists. “Historically, we slotted everyone who was a VP contender into the program. Then you switch them out if they are picked,” said a person familiar with the lineup. “How deep you go is a question. There are 10 people on the Biden list. But if they are a serious contender, they would have a spot. And my understanding is that they have already been slotted.”

by Anonymousreply 396August 8, 2020 6:44 AM

Speaking slots can be changed

by Anonymousreply 397August 8, 2020 6:55 AM

[quote] Now word is coming out that he's talking to Hillary. Hmmm

Please.

by Anonymousreply 398August 8, 2020 7:25 AM

Picking Wilmer would show Biden is his own man and not locked in to any Dem constituency. Risky but could be brilliant. Probably Trump's nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 399August 8, 2020 8:22 AM

..Whitmer...also helps Biden in the Midwest

by Anonymousreply 400August 8, 2020 8:27 AM

[quote]Sorry, but Barack and "We go high" Michelle need to butt out.

Up until South Carolina, Obama stayed out of the primaries. Reaction: 'Biden is so pathetic that even Obama won't endorse him. Obama is an irrelevant spent force. He hasn't lifted a finger to help his "friend". This is a progressive party now'.

After an absolute landslide in Nevada, Bernie is declared the inevitable nominee by everybody from Chris Matthews to the rabid bros. Obama finally stops sitting on his hands and goes behind the scenes with James Clyburn and gets Mayor Pete to drop out. Reaction: 'Machiavellian Obama is interfering in the primary process. The establishment has worked to steal it from Bernie'.

Obama now actively working behind the scenes advising the Biden campaign to keep Biden out of sight, allow Trump to trip over himself and tipping the scales in the veepstakes. Reaction: "He needs to butt out".

Barack has saved Joe's ass and earned the right to have a say in ever decision.

by Anonymousreply 401August 8, 2020 8:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402August 8, 2020 10:35 AM

Rice is getting so much late buzz. I think it's over for Kamala. The KHive will go nuts.

by Anonymousreply 403August 8, 2020 10:49 AM

Kamala should stay in the Senate. She’s a California Liberal liability. Whitmer for VP. Sally Yates for AG.

by Anonymousreply 404August 8, 2020 10:56 AM

[quote]He said a month ago that it would be a black woman and now things appear to have shifted.

He never said that. He said it would be a woman. And he told Joy Reid he was considering 4 Black women, among others.

by Anonymousreply 405August 8, 2020 11:02 AM

Trump already developed a name for Whitmer months ago: Governor Half-Whitmer.

by Anonymousreply 406August 8, 2020 11:03 AM

I really want it to be Amy Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 407August 8, 2020 11:04 AM

Trump’s childish name calling will turn more women off Trump.

by Anonymousreply 408August 8, 2020 11:05 AM

Joe does not need my help in deciding.

.MSNBC AND CNN both are trying to stir up problems for Biden, the same way they did Hillary. I think they want four more years of trouble. Why are pundits such a bunch of assholes? Don't they feel shame?

by Anonymousreply 409August 8, 2020 11:05 AM

Whitmer would be a good choice. Doesn’t have a lot of baggage. Helps in the Midwest with white swing voters. Young. Has high approval ratings.

by Anonymousreply 410August 8, 2020 11:09 AM

Susan Rice is a tough broad. Hillary 2.0 in terms of intelligence and grasp of policy. A strong lightning rod that can absorb any shocks and attacks without wilting. And a good attack dog that will give as good as she gets from the Repugs. She's a no-nonsense bitch that's afraid of no one. I loved when she told Snoop Dogg to "back the fuck off!" and that "you'll lose and it won't be pretty" when he tried to come for Gayle King.

Susan Rice FTW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411August 8, 2020 11:57 AM

Snoop turned tail and folded after that. We need Rice, not some delicate flower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412August 8, 2020 11:59 AM

All I want is the joy of watching Kamala's obnoxious DL fangurls having to eat their own livers out when she doesn't get the nod.

And she won't. It wouldn't take this long. I don't know what's changed or gone wrong behind the scenes, but something is holding this up.

by Anonymousreply 413August 8, 2020 12:33 PM

R411, comparing her to Hillary is a good reason why she shouldn’t be on the ticket. We don’t need another unlikable lightning rod

by Anonymousreply 414August 8, 2020 12:38 PM

Rice and Clinton are not equals in the lightening rod department. Rice and Harris, closer. Then it comes down to skills and experience.

Rice, ambassador to the United Nations, national security advisor, assistant Secretary of State for Africa, Bill Clinton's National Security Council staff from 1993 to 1997. Stanford, Oxford.

Harris, California AG, various prosecutorial roles in state prior, Senator (Since 2017), Howard and the University of California. Power dresser.

I leave it to you to decide who's got the superior credentials.

by Anonymousreply 415August 8, 2020 12:46 PM

LOL @ the particular irony of lightening for lightning. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 416August 8, 2020 12:47 PM

[quote]Susan Rice is a tough broad. Hillary 2.0 in terms of intelligence and grasp of policy.

Nobody that votes in this country is clamoring for Hillary 2.0.

by Anonymousreply 417August 8, 2020 1:15 PM

Especially when Hillary 1.0 would probably rush out of retirement, Mr. DeMille.

by Anonymousreply 418August 8, 2020 1:16 PM

A run of critical Kamala and HRC posts... I hear angry Kaftanistans saddling up.

Troll! Russian! Boris! Hater!

by Anonymousreply 419August 8, 2020 1:17 PM

Susan Rice sounds harsh and irritating when she speaks, much like Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 420August 8, 2020 1:23 PM

I told you before that Harris might be less likely because of the stunt she pulled with Dodd. It was transparent and the media did her bidding. I think it backfired immensely.

Now they know Rice would be a disaster. As would Bass.

They’re talking to others like Whitmer now. Lujan Grisham too. Maybe Duckworth but if he hasn’t selected her already there may be an problem with her as well.

by Anonymousreply 421August 8, 2020 1:23 PM

R421, agree with much of what you said but not that Rice is so disastrous. Bass is done by the Cuba nonsense. But agree you assessment fleshes out my view if it was going to be Harris it would have been Harris by now.

by Anonymousreply 422August 8, 2020 1:34 PM

Rice is dull and too cerebral without charisma

by Anonymousreply 423August 8, 2020 1:37 PM

Rice doesn’t excite

by Anonymousreply 424August 8, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote]Rice is dull and too cerebral without charisma

Yes, the last thing we want after the past four years is more of the same.

by Anonymousreply 425August 8, 2020 1:39 PM

R425, try selling that in swing states

by Anonymousreply 426August 8, 2020 2:01 PM

Rice has no campaign experience and she lacks pizzazz. You think she wants to shake people’s hands at some diner in Michigan? That’s what Whitmer and Klobuchar are good at.

by Anonymousreply 427August 8, 2020 2:07 PM

The KHive recently doxxed a gay Bernie bro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428August 8, 2020 2:11 PM

Ryan Knight annoys me

by Anonymousreply 429August 8, 2020 2:24 PM

r427 So Whitmer and Kloubachar should be picked because they've shaken hands before? Rice will be fine. If she hadn't been thrust into the VP spotlight she would have run against Susan Collins in Maine. It's not something you need to learn.

by Anonymousreply 430August 8, 2020 2:29 PM

Harris has acknowledged and encouraged her toxic supporters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431August 8, 2020 2:30 PM

Rice is a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 432August 8, 2020 2:36 PM

R28 Ryan Knight is a creepy psycho

by Anonymousreply 433August 8, 2020 2:42 PM

R428 , I mean ^

by Anonymousreply 434August 8, 2020 2:43 PM

[quote]So Whitmer and Kloubachar should be picked because they've shaken hands before?

Yes, because that’s how you win votes in the swing states. The people of MI, WI, and PA didn’t fail to notice that Hillary much preferred to spend her campaign in Hollywood attending fundraisers with Beyoncé, while ignoring their states.

by Anonymousreply 435August 8, 2020 2:51 PM

WTH does Harris mean by "difficult times"? While she's waiting to see if she wins the beauty contest and Biden gives her the crown?

Never mind that millions are struggling with covid, unemployment, no food in the cupboard...

by Anonymousreply 436August 8, 2020 2:51 PM

It'll probably be Whitmer. She met with Biden last weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437August 8, 2020 3:00 PM

Susan Rice sells some of her Netflix stock. Does this mean she knows she's the choice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438August 8, 2020 3:00 PM

Just go with Val Demings. She's law and order, she is a good legislator, they like her in Florida, and she's not gonna try and pull focus like Kamala. I think the concerns about her law enforcement past are overblown, and was clearly stoked by the Kamala and her minions.

by Anonymousreply 439August 8, 2020 3:01 PM

The Coronavirus is a far more pressing concern to most people than racial issues...so he should pick Whitmer, who is seen as a leader on this...being Governor of one of a hard-hit state who has brought it under control.

by Anonymousreply 440August 8, 2020 3:07 PM

R440 didn’t learn from 2016. If black, young, and Latin voters don’t turn out in elevated numbers, Democrats win.

by Anonymousreply 441August 8, 2020 3:17 PM

I meant: Democrats can’t win if black, latin, and young voters don’t turn out in elevated numbers

by Anonymousreply 442August 8, 2020 3:17 PM

Many black voters are chilly or uninspired about Biden. He needs to stoke Black voter enthusiasm

by Anonymousreply 443August 8, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote][R425], try selling that in swing states

And what are the swing states going to buy, Begala/Carville?

by Anonymousreply 444August 8, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote]Susan Rice sells some of her Netflix stock. Does this mean she knows she's the choice?

It may just mean she's smart enough to know when to take a profit. Netflix is through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 445August 8, 2020 3:22 PM

Does Biden have advanced dementia? If not, why do I think he does?

by Anonymousreply 446August 8, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote]Rice has no campaign experience and she lacks pizzazz. You think she wants to shake people’s hands at some diner in Michigan? That’s what Whitmer and Klobuchar are good at.

And you really think she won't, if that's what it takes?

Hell, Hillary Clinton adopted a southern accent to suck up to a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 447August 8, 2020 3:24 PM

[quote][R440] didn’t learn from 2016. If black, young, and Latin voters don’t turn out in elevated numbers, Democrats win.

It was actually white working-class and suburban Obama voters in PA, MI, and WI who DID turn out in 2016, and voted for Trump. Those white voters need to be brought back, and Kamala Harris and Susan Rice ain’t gonna do it.

by Anonymousreply 448August 8, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote]Many black voters are chilly or uninspired about Biden.

How can this be when it was black voters and moderate white democrats who put Biden over the top?

by Anonymousreply 449August 8, 2020 3:28 PM

R447, how did that work out, dude?

by Anonymousreply 450August 8, 2020 3:28 PM

So who's your answer, R450? Because I feel a Kamala Harris coming and I just don't see how that's much different than comparisons to Rice or Clinton. Except of course Harris doesn't have the same quality track record.

by Anonymousreply 451August 8, 2020 3:32 PM

[quote]Susan Rice sells some of her Netflix stock. Does this mean she knows she's the choice?

Sounds like Insider Trading to me.

by Anonymousreply 452August 8, 2020 3:32 PM

Biden is just Trump with dementia.

by Anonymousreply 453August 8, 2020 3:39 PM

Hillz shades the NYT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454August 8, 2020 3:45 PM

Hillz shades the NYT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455August 8, 2020 3:45 PM

Whitmer would be the most practical choice for the Democratic Party moving forward. In 2024 it'll be Whitmer v Pence. It's hard to imagine Rice, Bass, or the Florida legislator in that scenario. Harris I could see going at it with Pence. But she's too statuesque. Too polished for the Upper Midwest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456August 8, 2020 3:45 PM

Oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457August 8, 2020 3:45 PM

We need Midwest governors of color

by Anonymousreply 458August 8, 2020 3:52 PM

Maureen Dowd, NYT, is still obsessed with trashing the Clintons, HRC in particular. She does this frequently, year after year. The Clintons are not running for anything, and her nastiness, is more than old. Perhaps she's yearning for Trump to grab something? He wouldn't that.. Why the heck the NYT keeps her around?

by Anonymousreply 459August 8, 2020 3:55 PM

Do you know the history of that R459/ Why does Dowd hate them so much?

by Anonymousreply 460August 8, 2020 3:57 PM

Dowd really does seem to hate them. Which is fine, if it feed her something I guess, but to keep banging on about it on the job... it's a bit like hating Lincoln or Eleanor Roosevelt... the moment has passed. Maybe she's practising for when she's lined up against the wall at the nursing home, wailing about something that doesn't make any sense to anybody else.

by Anonymousreply 461August 8, 2020 4:01 PM

Dowd is not alone. A lot of suburban women are like her about Hillary

by Anonymousreply 462August 8, 2020 4:07 PM

r460 Bill spurned Dowd back in the early 90s; don't recall the issue or details. She's held what appears to be a vendetta. She loved to write about the Monica and related sex scandals, but largely leaves the Trump scandals alone. The sordid Bill Clinton stuff was nearly thirty years ago. That's the absurdity. There's nothing new from that era.

by Anonymousreply 463August 8, 2020 4:17 PM

[quote]The sordid Bill Clinton stuff was nearly thirty years ago. That's the absurdity. There's nothing new from that era.

You just come out of a coma? Go pick up a newspaper. The madam is talking and Bill Clinton is all over the Epstein news.

by Anonymousreply 464August 8, 2020 4:21 PM

r464 unrelated, and the Epstein news is not what Dowd is writing about. And your dear Trump has quite a history with Epstein, Trump is the current President and running for re-election, not Bill.

by Anonymousreply 465August 8, 2020 4:36 PM

"..Whitmer...also helps Biden in the Midwest "

Does that really work? Like, "Wheee, our Governor was picked!"?

by Anonymousreply 466August 8, 2020 4:47 PM

Whitmer is light on baggage. Harris and Rice would rock the boat too much. Too much to deal with at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 467August 8, 2020 4:52 PM

I think a curveball is coming... they are afraid of Rice and or Harris... so curveball for Veep, Rice for State, Harris for AG.

I bet the delay is they went back into field to get data on [italic]not[/italic] picking a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 468August 8, 2020 5:02 PM

R466 Yes, it most certainly does.

by Anonymousreply 469August 8, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote]Rice for State

Vladimir won't like that. Rice was big on countering Russia and imposing sanctions.

by Anonymousreply 470August 8, 2020 5:10 PM

[quote]I think a curveball is coming... they are afraid of Rice and or Harris... so curveball for Veep, Rice for State, Harris for AG.

This is what was always planned, with Klobuchar as VP... but the George Floyd case fucked things up.

So then they tried to pick a Black woman for VP, but it turned out they’re all too problematic. So I think he’s strongly looking at Whitmer now, which makes a lot of sense.

by Anonymousreply 471August 8, 2020 5:19 PM

I don't think anyone knows anything except Uncle Joe, Jill and maybe the Obamas. Anything else in the press is speculation.

by Anonymousreply 472August 8, 2020 5:21 PM

Rice is only in consideration because the Obamas are pushing for him. I don’t think Biden feels that strongly about her, and she doesn’t connect with middle-American voters. Her name was never even being mentioned until a month or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 473August 8, 2020 5:21 PM

Pretty interesting. We were suppose to have a VP nominee by Friday but something happened. Probably some polling freaked out Valerie and Jill about a black woman taking up the VP slot. Sunday, Whitmer visits Delaware for two, three hours to discuss the position at hand. I remember Sarah Palin going to visit McCain, and Biden himself visiting Obama the weekend b4 the big announcement.

by Anonymousreply 474August 8, 2020 5:31 PM

I can’t wait for Joy Reid’s on-air meltdown when a non-Black woman is named.

by Anonymousreply 475August 8, 2020 5:34 PM

I can’t wait for the Trolls' faux outrage over the same.

by Anonymousreply 476August 8, 2020 5:57 PM

Whitmer meets with Biden at his home. This isn't about having tea and cookies together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477August 8, 2020 6:04 PM

R471 is right, if they thought Kamala or some of the other black women passed the test, they would have named that person long ago. The fact that they haven’t means there was some kind of issue. These women all have husbands that have to pass as well. Kamala’s husband is a lawyer who has already said he refused to quit practicing or be a First Gentleman when she was running for President. My guess is he’d do even less to be a Second Gentleman. After Trump’s constant conflicts of interest, people are tired of it.

My guess is they started with the obvious, probably Kamala. For some reason they had reservations. So they started looking at other black women. Problems with them. So Obama said, how about Susan Rice, we know her background well. But there’s obvious issues with her. So then Duckworth and Whitmer. But they were still trying to get a black woman so they probably took polls to see if their issues could be overlooked. By this time it was already time to announce, and they hadn’t announced, so something went wrong there. Bad polling probably.

They still haven’t announced. That looks like all the black women didn’t pass, they’re trying to get support from black influencers like Jim Clyburn and others.

Kamala: prosecutor, can’t bring the Midwest, various issues

Rice: Benghazi

Bass: Cuba, they need Florida, other issues. She seems to be out of the running lately.

Klobuchar: George Floyd

Val Demmings: ?

Duckworth

Whitmer

I think they’re getting their ducks in a row to get the black community to support a non-black candidate. If they had a good black candidate, they would have named her already.

by Anonymousreply 478August 8, 2020 6:05 PM

I think Biden is faking y’all out, and y’all are falling for it

by Anonymousreply 479August 8, 2020 6:20 PM

All have baggage, some moreso than others. It includes the question, what baggage can be effectively explained and disposed of as a campaign issue, and what baggage can't be? The rule is "do no harm". And if the pick adds a net number of significant voters favoring the ticket, good.

Picking someone such as Whitmer is to further appeal to suburban women voters and midwesterners at large.

by Anonymousreply 480August 8, 2020 6:25 PM

Before the George Floyd protests, it was 100% going to be Amy Klobuchar. Biden has NEVER said that he was picking a black woman. It’s just what hysterical people like Joy Reid and Sonny on The View say that he “has” to do. The three black women in contention are horrific choices and if he picks one of them his polling will drop. Gretchen Whitmer is the best choice. A young, fiery woman from the Midwest. White suburban women will relate to her.

by Anonymousreply 481August 8, 2020 6:31 PM

I don't think it's Whitmer, though i wouldn't mind, she is a campaign co chair and im sure shes well aware that traveling from Michigan to Delaware would set the media off so i think it's a head fake to get people buzzing.

by Anonymousreply 482August 8, 2020 6:37 PM

Joe Biden says he has made his decision so i'm guessing within a week, probably not this monday but the monday after that.

by Anonymousreply 483August 8, 2020 6:40 PM

Voters need to know a woman is capable of running a city or state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484August 8, 2020 6:44 PM

Whitmer's people obviously leaked that meeting. She was one of the first to be considered (check the news back in April and May) but was eliminated even before Stacey Abrams. It's not her. Last week, insiders said it was down to Kamala and Rice and now Biden says he's made his decision. Rice was only drafted recently and last week she's been getting more buzz than anybody. It's her ... especially with Obama and Valerie Jarret in Biden's ear.

Any Brits here? What sayeth the bookies?

by Anonymousreply 485August 8, 2020 7:02 PM

Bookies.com still has Kamala by some way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486August 8, 2020 7:04 PM

Has he considered DataLounge fav Chrissy Teigen? She looks Black, but she isn’t!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487August 8, 2020 7:08 PM

I don't remember the veep pick being this much of a nailbiter. Anyway, Uncle Joe looks fit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488August 8, 2020 7:12 PM

[quote]Voters need to know a woman is capable of running a city or state.

Good point. Proven executive experience in government matters.

Trump didn't have any and it. glaringly shows to the detriment of the country.

by Anonymousreply 489August 8, 2020 7:20 PM

[quote]I can’t wait for Joy Reid’s on-air meltdown when a non-Black woman is named.

I don't think that's gonna happen. Joy is a big Kamala stand, but she's also a democrat who hates Trump and she will tow the party line.

by Anonymousreply 490August 8, 2020 7:25 PM

He has to pick a black woman now. They're expecting it. You will see a big uproar on social media if he picks a white woman, and I think it would give the election to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 491August 8, 2020 7:26 PM

R491 no it wouldn’t. The KHive and other online fanatics will still vote for Biden no matter what. The pick needs to be acceptable to old voters she white suburban women. Those two groups will bring Biden over the finish line, not black people.

by Anonymousreply 492August 8, 2020 7:32 PM

Senior Trump adviser pushed dumping Mike Pence for a woman to bail out floundering campaign: report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493August 8, 2020 7:32 PM

[quote]You will see a big uproar on social media if he picks a white woman, and I think it would give the election to Trump.

Twitter is not the real world. Most people on Twitter are not going to vote anyway, regardless of how many online “uproars” they have.

by Anonymousreply 494August 8, 2020 7:38 PM

Is that the same Whitmer that banned chloroquine in her state and allowed thousands to die?

See how easy it is to soil someone's reputation? Whitmer is damaged goods.

by Anonymousreply 495August 8, 2020 7:38 PM

The KHive will accept another black woman like Rice, Bass or Demmings but that's it. A white woman will set them off.

by Anonymousreply 496August 8, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote]Is that the same Whitmer that banned chloroquine in her state and allowed thousands to die?

Except she didn’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497August 8, 2020 7:42 PM

2020 Democratic Vice Presidential Betting Odds

Candidate Odds

Kamala Harris -167

Susan Rice +275

Val Demings +1200

Tammy Duckworth +1200

Elizabeth Warren +1400

Karen Bass +1700

Michelle Obama +2000

Gretchen Whitmer +4000

Keisha Lance Bottoms +5000

Michelle Lujan Grisham +6600

Stacey Abrams +6600

Amy Klobuchar +10000

Odds via 888sport updated August 6

by Anonymousreply 498August 8, 2020 7:44 PM

I just really want to know now.

by Anonymousreply 499August 8, 2020 7:50 PM

Silver warns of the people that want a woman of color chosen getting ticked off. Well, fuckers could sit out the election. We just had a black person as president. It's time for a regular white woman for VP.

In the abstract, Whitmer would be a logical enough choice as Biden's VP. What I wonder about is the extent to which there are Democrats who are advocating for Biden to pick a woman of color, as opposed to advocates for individual choices (Harris, etc.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500August 8, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote]It's time for a regular white woman for VP.

Most of Middle-America agrees.

by Anonymousreply 501August 8, 2020 7:59 PM

The case for and against Demmings by, IMHO, the most handsome man in news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502August 8, 2020 8:01 PM

Last weekend:

[quote] Whitmer had been scheduled to appear on @KasieDC on Sunday night at 8 p.m. – a special hour covering Biden’s vice presidential selection that had been promoted beginning earlier in the week. Her team unexpectedly canceled the interview Saturday morning.

[quote] Andrea Mitchell @mitchellreports 2 Democratic officials confirm to NBC News the Whitmer-Biden meeting last weekend in Delaware. The meeting was 1st reported by AP. Whitmer had been scheduled to appear on @KasieDC Sunday night at 8pm on a special promoted program. Her office canceled the appearance Saturday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503August 8, 2020 8:04 PM

If Clyburn doesn't care about a WOC in that position, the only people whining will be white faux progressives. The issue is a progressive. If Rice or Harris becomes VP, McConnell and the rest of them will have gotten away with it. The craven and crooked will be waiting for their turn. Meanwhile the never Trumpers and big media wil turn on Biden, and nothing more than the very basics will change. Progressives will be turned off, stay home and, in 2024, the republicans will return to finish off the country.

by Anonymousreply 504August 8, 2020 8:22 PM

This tweet gets it:

[quote]"A Biden-Whitmer ticket would be what McCain’s campaign thought a McCain-Palin ticket would be."

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 505August 8, 2020 8:23 PM

Biden can't win without a strong black voter turnout, especially in PA, MI, NC, FL and WI. And GA and OH are completely off the table. It would also sink our chances of taking the Senate.

The media will salivate over black voters turning on Biden. It's just the kind of story they love to run with. And Kanye West would become a major story because of it. There would be a big social media campaign for black people to vote for Kanye instead of Biden.

by Anonymousreply 506August 8, 2020 8:37 PM

[quote]Biden can't win without a strong black voter turnout, especially in PA, MI, NC, FL and WI. And GA and OH are completely off the table.

We were told repeatedly that Biden already had Black voter support in overwhelming numbers, and that was why he HAD to be the nominee. It had to be him because Blacks wouldn’t vote for anyone else.

So if they’re now claiming that Blacks won’t vote for Joe Biden, then Blacks need to be prepared to be permanently ignored in future Democratic campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 507August 8, 2020 8:46 PM

R500 R501 White Middle America (including women) did not support a female presidential candidate 4 years ago and instead chose a con man who is also a sexual harasser.

"It's time for a regular white woman for VP."

Says who? Typical crypto racist garbage; "You just had a black president. Now shut the fuck up, we are going back to 'normal'".

by Anonymousreply 508August 8, 2020 8:49 PM

Who cares what’s going to be labeled racist. What will sell to the greater number of swing voters in swing states?

If a white VP means it’s more likely Dems win in the key swing states (MI, WI, PA, FL, AZ, NC) then go with that. Jesus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509August 8, 2020 8:58 PM

I prefer Rice or Duckworth over Whitmer. But I just dont want Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 510August 8, 2020 9:08 PM

[quote]If a white VP means it’s more likely Dems win in the key swing states (MI, WI, PA, FL, AZ, NC) then go with that. Jesus.

Whitmer shores up those battleground states (at least MI, WI, and PA) for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 511August 8, 2020 9:14 PM

Not since Scarlett O'Hara!

by Anonymousreply 512August 8, 2020 9:25 PM

Duckworth or Whitmer. Duckworth’s husband is a white veteran.

by Anonymousreply 513August 8, 2020 9:27 PM

My black millennial friends say they will sit out this election if Joe does not name an African-American running mate. A lot of them are not exactly enamored with the Democratic Party already, and this will just set them off. I am voting for Joe no matter what, but I agree that he owes African-Americans because they saved him from political ruined.

by Anonymousreply 514August 8, 2020 9:39 PM

Trump dumping Pence for Haley will show more disarray in his campaign. As much as Trump & Pence are detested by core Democrats and never-Trumpers, Pence has been totally loyal to Trump and is popular with the right-wing religious fundamentalists. Haley won't add any real new voters for Trump. She is good at campaigning and may motivate more of Trump's base to show at the polls. On the other hand, some will view Pence was treated shabby.

by Anonymousreply 515August 8, 2020 9:48 PM

Biden already committed to his first SC appointment being a Black woman.

by Anonymousreply 516August 8, 2020 9:53 PM

Please not Susan Rice. I really don't want to live through the BENGHAZI! insanity again. Once was certainly enough. And knowing the media they'll both-sides it by declaring the four dead in Benghazi equivalent to the 150,000+ dead during this pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 517August 8, 2020 9:54 PM

I don’t like that Rice bitch. No personality. I’d rather it be Harris.

by Anonymousreply 518August 8, 2020 10:08 PM

Rice is too cold and doesn’t seem to be the type you’d want to have a beer with. Harris is a real fun time chick.

by Anonymousreply 519August 8, 2020 10:13 PM

R517, it's 162,000 Americans dead from Covid-19. The number keeps rising. Thanks, Donny Drumpfster!

R509, if you think crapping in the face of Black voters is going to work for Biden, you're basically ushering the traitor jack@ss Donny Drumpfster back in office. Democratic candidates from Clinton on have not won a majority of White voters, so they need every BIPOC voter, especially Black voters, they can get. Obama did not get a majority of White voters in either of his elections and still received the most votes of ANY Presidential winner. Neither did HRC, and she still got more than 2.9 million votes that Donny the Con Covid-fefe.

Just google it: a recent article showed that 50% of White voters are STILL going to vote for Don the Con Man. But you tell yourself that White voters are going to change their ways and vote for Biden in overwhelming numbers, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Can we please stop calling these potential Democratic women VPs b*tches, though? The misogyny is exactly what they'll face, so let's not add to it. Most people on here would not want to hear homophobic crap from Republicans (or Democrats or anyone else).

by Anonymousreply 520August 8, 2020 10:20 PM

R520, if the data show that a Black VP increases the chance of winning more than a white VP, then go with a Black VP.

If the data show a white VP increases the chances of winning more than a Black VP, go with a white VP.

That’s what I was saying at r509. I don’t care about the race as long as the selection maximize the chance of winning. I don’t care about white or black voters’ reasons for preferring or disliking one or the other. If it’s racism, it doesn’t matter. I want Biden to win.

All that maters is the degree to which one or the other increases the likelihood of winning. Whatever the data indicate makes a win more likely, I’m for it.

I don’t even care if they’re qualified or could do the job: all that matters now in relation to competence is if being qualified matters to the chances of winning. If so, then add that to the equation.

by Anonymousreply 521August 8, 2020 10:34 PM

We can never trust white women after a majority (53%) voted for Trump over Hillary. Black women are more reliable supporters of the Democratic Party so they've ceded priority. The veep should be a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 522August 8, 2020 10:34 PM

Sorry, R521 is for R520 not r517.

by Anonymousreply 523August 8, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote]Twitter is not the real world. Most people on Twitter are not going to vote anyway, regardless of how many online “uproars” they have.

I know a national reporter who told me in his experience, politicians don't give a flying fuck about Twitter and change.org and all the online stuff. They won't admit it, but it isn't influential.

What they take seriously is emails and letters - original, not form - because that means somebody cares enough to invest some time.

by Anonymousreply 524August 8, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote]My black millennial friends say they will sit out this election if Joe does not name an African-American running mate. A lot of them are not exactly enamored with the Democratic Party already, and this will just set them off.

Then they are selfish children who have some responsibility for sustaining the prejudice and racism that stunts their potential.

by Anonymousreply 525August 8, 2020 10:45 PM

I don't give a shit about having a beer with a VP. I just want someone competent and intelligent, without too much baggage. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 526August 8, 2020 10:46 PM

I don't even like beer. Are there any candidates offering to have a root beer float with a lucky voter?

by Anonymousreply 527August 8, 2020 10:49 PM

I honestly think Rice or Demmings would be excellent choices. Harris, I'm not sure about and what Dodd said about her rings true. But I'll support Biden even if he picks her.

by Anonymousreply 528August 8, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote] Elizabeth Warren was Joe Biden's only hope,

Yes because Biden really needs a scoldy ivory tower liberal to win over the swing states.

Will people ever learn?

What he really needs is a law and order conservative democrat. Someone white working class voters will like. Neither Harris nor Rice is that person. Biden clearly is more in thrall to the woke wing like bernie and AOC than people like Carville who actually WIN ELECTIONS.

by Anonymousreply 529August 8, 2020 11:02 PM

I will vote for Joe no matter what as well as every other Democrat on the ballot.

This is not the Batchelor and Joe isn't giving out a rose AFTER OUR FINAL COMMERCIAL BREAK. This is REALITY not a REALITY SHOW.

Sheesh

by Anonymousreply 530August 8, 2020 11:07 PM

No rose? Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 531August 8, 2020 11:08 PM

I think R530 is spot on. Ultimately it doesn't matter. Joe's gonna pick who Joe's gonna pick. At some point we have to stop second guessing and handicapping every pick and just get on board with whomever it is. There is no perfect choice. All we can do is our part of the process and hope that others do that as well.

by Anonymousreply 532August 8, 2020 11:14 PM

And urge others to get over themselves and do their part.

This from upthread still amazes me:

"My black millennial friends say they will sit out this election if Joe does not name an African-American running mate. A lot of them are not exactly enamored with the Democratic Party already, and this will just set them off."

At any given moment in time what's in your self interest isn't necessarily everything as you would wish.

by Anonymousreply 533August 8, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote]Rice is too cold and doesn’t seem to be the type you’d want to have a beer with. Harris is a real fun time chick.

Klobuchar would have been the most fun to have a beer with. She brings homemade Hotdish, tells stories about her drunk Dad, and throws staplers at the annoying people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534August 8, 2020 11:16 PM

Plenty of Black people in Detroit voted for Whitmer for Governor, and they’ll do the same if she’s on the Presidential ticket...as will many suburban white voters.

by Anonymousreply 535August 8, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote]My black millennial friends say they will sit out this election if Joe does not name an African-American running mate.

Most Millennials sit out every election. We don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 536August 8, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]Black women are more reliable supporters of the Democratic Party so they've ceded priority. The veep should be a black woman.

Being “reliable supporters” mean that they’ll vote for the Democratic ticket regardless of the color of the veep candidate.

by Anonymousreply 537August 8, 2020 11:31 PM

The best way for Biden to "pay back" those "reliable supporters" is to WIN, reverse everything the Orange Anus did in office and use his time in office to pass as many of the plans outlined on his platform as possible.

Choosing a VP to "pay back" anyone without a win will mean NOTHING. You chose a VP to WIN, not soothe the feelings of a segment of voters. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 538August 8, 2020 11:40 PM

Joe is the moderate Rust Belt candidate. It would be terrifying if we were in this position right now with anyone else (especially Bernie). He is not inclined towards the left any more than Obama was. Moreover, I would venture that having been in Congress himself, he knows how counterproductive The Squad is to actually getting anything done.

Joe is leading most of the polls so this is an election about turnout.

Millennial Black men saw their parents and grandparents openly weeping when the unimaginable happened in 2008, and then saw the Obamas maligned, derided and hobbled at every turn. They saw their communities torn apart this summer, and the one person with a shred of power to make it better call them thugs and vandals.

To see a handful of qualified, talented and strong Black women sidelined by Becky With The Good Hair (especially if it's coming from the same old crusty white guys) might cause them to feel the system is irreparably broken.

I'm betting Senior Advisor Symone Sanders knows that.

by Anonymousreply 539August 8, 2020 11:41 PM

I think "not voting" is their passive way of voting for Trump. They'll call themselves Independents and feel blameless.

by Anonymousreply 540August 8, 2020 11:46 PM

Having an African American on the Supreme Court is far more important, because that person holds that position for life. And Joe Biden can’t make that appointment unless he wins.

by Anonymousreply 541August 8, 2020 11:49 PM

So young African Americans that don’t vote are angry because old African Americans that do vote made Biden the nominee, so he has to grovel to them? Why don’t they complain to their grandmothers for voting for him?

by Anonymousreply 542August 9, 2020 12:29 AM

Whites don't really care who the VP is, but black people sure do. So, why wouldn't you want to please the voters who care, and who might not bother to vote if they don't get what they feel is owed to them?

by Anonymousreply 543August 9, 2020 12:39 AM

R543 = another white guy who knows what The Colored Folks Really Want

by Anonymousreply 544August 9, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote] My black millennial friends say they will sit out this election if Joe does not name an African-American running mate.

So Biden lost two votes.

DLers don't have many friends.

by Anonymousreply 545August 9, 2020 12:45 AM

A senator from California or a governor of Michigan? What do we need to win? I'll take whichever of these two options over any Republican, of course. But PA, WI & MI are the states that really matter. What would move the needle to help us win critical states?

by Anonymousreply 546August 9, 2020 1:12 AM

This is taking forever.

by Anonymousreply 547August 9, 2020 1:27 AM

R543, would whites care if Rice is selected?

by Anonymousreply 548August 9, 2020 1:44 AM

Everyone would care if Rice was selected because every other word out of Trump’s mouth for the next few months would be Benghazi. Hannity would never shut up about it and Trump just parrots whatever Hannity says.

by Anonymousreply 549August 9, 2020 1:54 AM

Spurs in Bedminster ploting with The Buffalo Bully, Ladybug, & some of the conspiracy gang, to pull essentially what will be essentially a coup d'etat attempt preceeded by a series of bogus October surprises Meanwhile the media and Dems are still distracted, for months, fretting over the colors of the VP women prospects.

by Anonymousreply 550August 9, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote]Most Millennials sit out every election. We don’t care.

Speak for yourself.

GenX, Millennials and Gen Z outvoted the other generations during the mid-terms.

The oldest millennials turn 40 next year.

GenZ were the ones who voted the least last time round.

Millennial and Gen X voting numbers are growing (with the oldest Gen Xers being in their 50s) as the Baby Boomers numbers are shrinking.

by Anonymousreply 551August 9, 2020 2:32 AM

Gen X is represented in Whitmer. She reminds this gen-exer of Kelly Kapowski of Saved by the Bell. There's something about her that goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 552August 9, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote]Whites don't really care who the VP is

And you know this how?

by Anonymousreply 553August 9, 2020 2:56 AM

It’s impossible even to imagine the existence of an American who’s either likely to vote for Biden or could be persuaded to vote for Biden who would decide to actually cast that vote because of Rice’s presence on the ticket. Alone among the possible candidates, she brings nothing to him electorally.

What, after all, does Rice represent? A reversion to Obama-era foreign policy? Biden has already checked that box himself. And on domestic and social and economic policy, Rice has no record whatever. If there’s a core Rice constituency, it’s Obama wonks and, perhaps, older African Americans—two groups already totally committed to cast their votes for Uncle Joe.

by Anonymousreply 554August 9, 2020 3:25 AM

He needs a black running mate ASAP. According to an American University poll of Black voters released July 29, only 47 percent of Blacks under the age of 30 say they plan to vote for Biden (among Black voters 30 to 59, that figure is 70 percent, and for those 60 and over, it’s 86 percent). Similarly, only 29 percent of Blacks under 30 say they’re definitely motivated to vote (in those other two age categories, the figures are 62 percent and 78 percent, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 555August 9, 2020 3:27 AM

Politicians don’t care about under-30 people, of any race, because they never show up to vote in significant numbers.

Bernie Sanders tried to run a campaign based on a core constituency of “young people”. We all saw how that worked out.

by Anonymousreply 556August 9, 2020 3:51 AM

Biden needs to bring shit back to normal street . Simone (Bernie fat bitch) said y'all like eating shit all the time

by Anonymousreply 557August 9, 2020 3:55 AM

Are blacks planning to never vote again unless there’s a black person on the ticket every four years? That’s asinine.

Women have been voting since 1920 and there’s only been a woman on the Democratic ticket twice that I can think of. They haven’t sat at home refusing to vote for the last hundred years.

by Anonymousreply 558August 9, 2020 4:07 AM

Most Blacks (maybe not the young ones) are going to show up and vote for Biden. The whole “the VP must be a Black woman or there’ll be hell to pay” narrative is being pushed by idiots in the media like Joy Reid.

by Anonymousreply 559August 9, 2020 4:13 AM

Young folks showed up for Obama, and to a lesser degree, Bill Clinton

by Anonymousreply 560August 9, 2020 4:21 AM

C’mon R558, you know better than that. Black people have been voting for white candidates forever. The issue is getting black voters to show up at Obama level numbers. Obama was a once in a generation type of candidate. We may never see those kinds of numbers and that kind of engagement ever again without some kind of strong incentive. I would argue that getting rid of Trump is enough of an incentive.

But here’s the deal, according to recently polling Biden has 92% of the black vote. Your issue isn’t getting black people to vote for democrats. Your issue will always be the white voters who can’t get their heads out of their asses. We have wasted so much bandwidth, thread after thread talking about black voters. But when it’s all said and done black people are still only 13% of the country. White people are the issue.

The black vote is important and the black vote has saved the democrats’ asses more often than not, but maybe some of you need to start working on some white people.

by Anonymousreply 561August 9, 2020 4:22 AM

The media chose last time. Dumpster would never have been elected if they hadn't given him so much free press. If anyone is "owed" anything, it's the American people and not for who the pundits lecture.

Considering they consider him 'presidental' when Dump manages to get through a press conference without drooling and slapping Debbie Scarf on the ass, they can take some fuckin seats.

by Anonymousreply 562August 9, 2020 4:23 AM

I wonder if today made Elizabeth Warren relevant again.

There is no way Social Security and Medical/Medicare are not going to be right in the center of this election.

by Anonymousreply 563August 9, 2020 4:28 AM

We have to trust that Biden’s team has vetted everyone and accept that they have solid reasons for whoever is ultimately chosen. I hope the announcement comes soon, like this week.

by Anonymousreply 564August 9, 2020 4:52 AM

Lol, R563. Do you really think that this election is going to be able Social Security and Medicaid?

Please.

by Anonymousreply 565August 9, 2020 5:07 AM

Maybe tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 566August 9, 2020 5:26 AM

"Having an African American on the Supreme Court is far more important"

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 567August 9, 2020 7:02 AM

Biden has the black vote solid. That’s why Trump is trying to spin his bullshit lies that Biden’s black support is in a tailspin.

by Anonymousreply 568August 9, 2020 7:34 AM

Convention news:

Warren, Harris and Sanders have "full" speaking slots.

Speculation is that Warren is on Biden's night to help fundraising efforts.

Harris and Clinton are scheduled to speak Wednesday when Biden speaks.

Harris will have a "prime time" slot like Warren, Clinton and the other big names but I can't see info on what night.

Someone associated with the planning stated:

[quote]“Historically, we slotted everyone who was a VP contender into the program. Then you switch them out if they are picked,” said a person familiar with the lineup. “How deep you go is a question. There are 10 people on the Biden list. But if they are a serious contender, they would have a spot. And my understanding is that they have already been slotted.”

by Anonymousreply 569August 9, 2020 11:45 AM

* Correction that should be Warren and Clinton are scheduled to speak Biden's night.

Harris, is scheduled, but I can't see when.

And yes AOC will have some sort of a role speaking but no one knows when yet.

by Anonymousreply 570August 9, 2020 11:46 AM

Black women have come to the Dem's rescue several times. They even got a senator elected in Alabama. If the VP isn't African American, it will look like ingratitude and send a terrible message.

by Anonymousreply 571August 9, 2020 12:00 PM

Yep, and black people are already saying the same thing. Even Klobuchar says it should be a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 572August 9, 2020 12:18 PM

Thank you R561, over these last years of this administration and of course right after the election on this board and others you see posts from people whose white family members are on board with Trump and they are scared to confront them or avoid talking about the fact they voted for Trump. Those are the voters who are the problem. They continue to get coddled, even now when their 'Freedom, fuck yeah', literally jeopardizes the lives of other peoplee.

Black voters and other non-white, non-straight voters have always had to rely on straight white people not fucking up. Unfortunately enough of them did last election to put us in this situation and instead of acknowledging and shoring up other voters to mitigate this there's all this trying to figure out how to appeal to them and doing things so they won't bolt. How precisely do you appeal to people who think it was somehow reasonable to have voted for Obama and then Trump? They allowed their prejudices to overtake them to the detriment of everyone.

They have a responsibility to the rest of the country, not to mention the survivors of the 160,000 Covid dead to get on board with getting rid of Trump. On CNN S.E. Cupp was complaining about Rice and mentioned she (Cupp) was moderate, right leaning and that Rice wouldn't appeal to her. And?

It's a disgusting kind of entitlement for Republicans to let their party go down in flames, hand the keys over to Trump without a fight and then seek to dictate what Democrats do.

After the catastrophe that is this administration, the country needs to take a giant step forward. Having a female VP does that as does having a black VP. The idea upthread that it needs to be a white woman first because there was already a black President underscores that.

I have to disagree with R562 a little bit. Trump was in the media a lot sure, but what he was was also fully on display. I don't remember any particular hero edit. I think the voters that voted for him are fully on the hook for this. His prejudice and ineptitude were on view for those who wanted to see or listen.

Certain Voters chose to ignore those things and you can see the truth of it now when many of the people who voted for him are asked about their continuing support. No amount of truth or reality will sway them and that is not on the media. They were looking for a receptacle for their grievances and found and empty suite to fill up.

by Anonymousreply 573August 9, 2020 12:25 PM

Historically, African Americans vote their interests. They're a lot smarter in that regard than White voters. They lean moderate to liberal. In the old days of Nixon, Reagan and both Bushes, the Republicans could break off just enough voters to win an election if they used abortion and homophobia. Black churches were fertile ground to attract enough voters to win. It's a numbers game. The goal is to cobble together enough sub groups to get to 51% .

Since the Republican Party was co opted by Roger Ailes, and the Fox gang, and White Supremacists rule, it is easier for the Evil Doers to try to suppress the Black Vote through challenges from the Left,targeted at the under 40 sub group. The Russian- abetted analysis of voting trends in America, which they've broken down to the finest detail, and their interest in probing for weaknesses which allow them to exploit any divisions, confirm that.

Historically, they haven't has as much success as they'd like on the Right with attracting Black voters, getting younger black voters, the under 40 crowd to reject the conventional wisdom and stay home, vote 3rd party or get all crazy is a desirable out come. It's true as someone stated earlier in this thread, that we need Obama levels of turnout among Black voters to get rid of Trump.

But in Trump's case we will also need white women,and older voters to abandon him. We will need Latino voters in higher percentages. too. Trump's support numbers among white women in 2016 were unacceptable. same with the Latino voters. Dems believed Trump's insults to Women and Latinos would kill their support. But he got way more than he should have.

What's different today is the in your face corruption and the massive failures of his policies. Corona , forcing kids to go back to unsafe schools, etc. And you do not reach for Social Security &Medicare in an election year. Yes, we need the Black vote. It is the cornerstone of our election strategy. But we also need to go after all the sub groups who turned out in unacceptable numbers for that asshole. And we will. It is the NEw media that keeps trying to play political games. They generate revenue. This is not a contest. It's a blow out. But remember. We absolutely must get the Senate. We must.

by Anonymousreply 574August 9, 2020 12:40 PM

R573, I don't think they ignored his prejudice, I think it's the precise reason they supported him in the first place. It was the moment he became the front runner within the GOP. There were qualified GOP candidates and they were all rejected in favor of this supremacist, birther trash. He exposed the GOP for what they had been for decades: The *actual* party of "identity politics" - and that identity is white supremacist scum.

by Anonymousreply 575August 9, 2020 12:44 PM

Enough of them voted Trump for the tax cuts. Pure and simple. I've told this story before: I know a guy who lives in L.A. who should be repulsed by Trump but he wants his tax cuts and he says all his you'd-think-they'd-be-Democrats friends did the same thing. He swore they'd all do it again. Lately he's said enough is enough. But I still don't count on him.

Part of the block depends on people putting ahead their self-interest other than economic. Kind of a big ask in a country that has such a reverence for self-responsibility and individualism. I don't know any country on earth with such distrust of government. Most other advanced countries have massive distrust and disdain for politicians. But a lot of Americans have a really difficult relationship with the institution of government no matter who gets elected.

by Anonymousreply 576August 9, 2020 12:49 PM

Right now, Russia is flooding the internet with misinformation. They have determined this is the most effective ways to screw up voters. We have to fight back. There's a lot of people trying to combat misinformation, but the main delivery system is Facebook. I'm watching my girl Zerlina Maxwell subbing for Joy Reid. She has a great convo going with the Voto Latino lady who gave a great example: She said in 2016 there was a post on Facebook in spanish telling Latino voters to avoid the long lines by texting in their vote. Of course this is a lie. It's wrong. She said that according to Facebook rules if she as a private citizen posted that Facebook would remove the tweet. But if a political candidate like Trump does it Facebook leaves it up. Anyway, there are a lot of organizations out here trying to counter fake information on the internet and we ought to support them.

by Anonymousreply 577August 9, 2020 2:24 PM

I am not sure to what degree Russians and Republicans are behind this, but 18-40ish black Americans certainly are not solidly behind Biden. I think the ADOS and segments of the BLM are pumping out a “Democrats are racist too” and “white liberals aren’t our friends” message that is playing right into Trump’s hands. We need black leaders and celebrities with credibility with young black people to quash this dangerous, spreading antiDemocratic movement among black millennials and Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 578August 9, 2020 2:52 PM

I struggle picking a favorite, but there are two or three of them that would prove problematic.

by Anonymousreply 579August 9, 2020 3:14 PM

[quote]Even Klobuchar says it should be a black woman.

I hate people bringing this up as if it wasn't completely politically and self-motivated.

She took herself out of contention for a role she wasn't going to be considered for because she was partially responsible for the BLM protests that ripped across the country and George Floyd's death. (By not charging the officer responsible for it when he crossed her path after numerous incidents and instead sending him to trial. And yes she became a senator before the trial ever happened but that initial decision was her own before she stepped down.)

Once that got revealed, she was toast.

Saying it should be a black woman was her way of fucking over Warren, trying to save face and trying to show that she wasn't racist.

by Anonymousreply 580August 9, 2020 3:54 PM

The whinging is starting now that Whitmer seems most likely. The embarrassed media, who were so certain it was Harris, will go on about it at max volume for about two weeks. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 581August 9, 2020 4:04 PM

Biden should put off the announcement until the very last minute. The VP speculation is the only real media coverage he's getting, and every day he puts it off is one less day that Republicans and Democrats will have to attack the nominee.

Make 'em wait, Joe.

by Anonymousreply 582August 9, 2020 4:35 PM

r413, the DL fan gurls as you refer it are the LGBTQ supporting their best Ally. Why do you need to be on a gay site and try to knock her down. Can people start thinking about their best interest?

by Anonymousreply 583August 9, 2020 4:38 PM

r580, asshole. She was no longer in office as AG to have done that. She had nothing to do with it and was rooked.

by Anonymousreply 584August 9, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote] Make 'em wait, Joe.

I had the thought this morning that it has been relatively quiet around the country and the White House for the past couple of weeks.

I question if they are holding onto something until The Announcement to 1) blunt it's force, 2) steal back some energy & 3) make whoever she is have to jump in from day one without a ramp up.

by Anonymousreply 585August 9, 2020 4:51 PM

He also said that he was going to announce some Cabinet picks early too. Maybe the VP selection will include Cabinet picks for some of the runner ups.

by Anonymousreply 586August 9, 2020 5:00 PM

I hope not. Announcing cabinet picks will create targets for the Right to destroy

by Anonymousreply 587August 9, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote][R413], the DL fan gurls as you refer it are the LGBTQ supporting their best Ally. Why do you need to be on a gay site and try to knock her down. Can people start thinking about their best interest?

Well I feel confident any Democrat is our ally so in no small part, R583, because sometimes I think outside the range of my own narrow self interest. You might try it. Not often. I wouldn't want you strain anything.

by Anonymousreply 588August 9, 2020 5:08 PM

I don't think there's anything stupider than someone gay who thinks their enemies are on the left - anywhere on the left. You'll find the ones who've actually attempted to push anti-gay legislation ALL on the right. Every last one of them is on the right.

by Anonymousreply 589August 9, 2020 5:34 PM

Disinformation, fake accounts by "Black" Bernie supporters exposed as bots,, and tons of other bullshit have been flooding the internet targeting the under 40 Black voters since 2015. All the Republicans and their Russian buddies need to do is suppress or misdirect a piece of the Black vote. All they have to do is peel a piece off. They are really going all out. What we need to do is have people with credibility to publicly expose it and expose it repeatedly. Completely. Just rip off the covers and back that shit up. At least give ammo to our side so they have credible sources to cite when they talk to their misguided friends. But honestly. I wish people would turn off the noise. I'm on facebook. Aside from my news feed from the local paper and the Washington Post, I don't go to any political websites. Well, I follow the Biden Campaign and Hillary but that's it. I never see Trump bullshit or conspiracy theories. Oh, and I Follow "Vote Vets because my brother was in the military. They hate Trump.

Here's the only thing to remember: Hillary got 66 million votes in spite of a perfect storm of shit. They didn't "win." Hillary beat Trump by 2.8 million votes, not 534 hanging chads in Florida. In order to install Trump in the White House, Putin stole 77,744 votes. He didn't give all of them to Trump. He spread them around to some guy named Johnson, (WEHT?) and Jill Stein. But this time we are going to be smarter. We know Trump is pissed about mail in because he is sabotaging the Post office of all things. Look. They will do anything to stay in power. Anything. Just remember that. Biden has some smart tough people working for him including the extremely competent OBama team. (Not Axelrod, etc.) I'm talking about Intel people and state department people, IT people, and others in the foreign policy arena, and they are doing everything they can to pull our balls out of the fire. Including the Europeans, who are undermining Putin every single turn. Putin is having problems. there's a limit to how much he can help his buddy if he is facing his own shit storm.

by Anonymousreply 590August 9, 2020 5:35 PM

Someone posted this before but I can’t remember. We need all of the HIllary states plus what? What are the paths to victory for Biden? What state is must win? Is it just PA?

by Anonymousreply 591August 9, 2020 5:49 PM

The Democrats have to put the Clinton’s out to pasture. Enough of them already.

by Anonymousreply 592August 9, 2020 5:54 PM

Watch the map. The Biden path to victory follows both an Electoral College map and a Covid map. Four states that have seen large spikes in Covid-19 cases this summer—Florida, Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina—were all lost by Hillary Clinton by roughly 5 points or less. Those states represent 81 electoral votes.

This is a math game for the Biden campaign and it needs to deploy resources judiciously. Trump beat Clinton with 306 electoral votes to her 232. If you add in the three states where Trump won by less than 1 percent—Pennsylvania (20 electoral votes), Wisconsin (10 electoral votes) and Michigan (16 electoral votes)—any combination of them and the Covid map that nets Biden 38 electoral votes would make him the next president, as long as the rest of the map stays the same.

Staying on the best path to 38 electoral votes should be the prime focus of the campaign, its deployment of resources and the candidate’s scheduling. Biden feels a deep loyalty to Democratic officials and activists around the country, for whom he was a frequent point of contact in the White House and a campaign surrogate. But he must resist their entreaties to target states that do not offer the best path for 270 electoral votes, which would deplete resources and dilute the focus of the campaign. Campaigning hard in Georgia might make sense because two U.S. Senate seats are up for grabs. If Biden can help take one of them, then Georgia makes sense as a target. However, if by mid-September both those Senate seats seem out of reach, Biden needs to concentrate on the best trajectory to 270 electoral votes even if it doesn’t include Georgia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593August 9, 2020 6:10 PM

[quote]He also said that he was going to announce some Cabinet picks early too.

That’s stupid. That seems like something Hillary “I’ve already got it in the bag and can stop campaigning in September” Clinton would do.

by Anonymousreply 594August 9, 2020 6:24 PM

I do not believe it is legal for him to announce cabinet picks until he is President elect.

by Anonymousreply 595August 9, 2020 6:26 PM

People are stupid. They think what they see on television is real life. We need someone people will be excited about voting for. Someone who looks like what people would see on their TV sets in the Lifetime movie about the first black/female VP. Someone who is smart, attractive and relatable. Because people are stupid.

Harris comes close but not completely. Rice has RBF for days and comes across like someone’s disapproving aunt. So no.

If this were a television show I would cast Kerry Washington in the role. We need someone like that. I know Oprah would never do it, but what about Gayle King?

by Anonymousreply 596August 9, 2020 6:44 PM

R582, Certain Twitter posters have been repeatedly posting crudely suggestive memes of Kamala Harris with her legs up in the air. Rice has been constantly attacked for lying to protect Hillary Clinton.

How are the same Twitter posters going to try and degrade Whitmer?

by Anonymousreply 597August 9, 2020 6:46 PM

^ Who cares? It's Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 598August 9, 2020 6:50 PM

R596, I have no doubt you'd know stupid.

by Anonymousreply 599August 9, 2020 6:51 PM

[quote]I do not believe it is legal for him to announce cabinet picks until he is President elect.

Considering the current group of felon trash we have squatting in the WH who thumb their nose at everything that is illegal, something as innocuous as announcing picks, doesn't even register as a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 600August 9, 2020 6:56 PM

Klobuchar singled out Pete, thinking he was in her lane. Pete had support from the younger entrepreneurs, academia, and professionals with graduate education/advanced degrees; and part of the Democratic socio-economic elite. Though both campaigned as centrists, Amy was trying to appeal to suburban women and the midwestern working class. Amy showed her negative temperament that she previously kept in check. Taking her shots at Pete was fair game, but she delivered it with disdain, frowning, compromised composure, and as if she wanted to physical assault him with something. She turned me off on supporting her right there. The rumors about her uncontrolled displays of anger must have some truth to it. Following Kirsten Gillibrand's lead, Amy took an active effort in railroading Al Franken out of the Senator. If only they showed the same energy in getting corrupt Republicans pushed out.

by Anonymousreply 601August 9, 2020 7:40 PM

Biden can name people he wants in his cabinet. They can't be sworn in until Biden is inaugurated. Many cabinet picks work on the transition teams post-election

In 1968, candidate Eugene McCarthy announced his cabinet picks before the Democratic Convention in which Hubert Humphrey became the party's nominee.

by Anonymousreply 602August 9, 2020 7:50 PM

Also, Cabinet selections have to be confirmed by the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 603August 9, 2020 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!