Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #398 - The "Mitzi Gaynor Was Supposed to Have Been Roxie at Encores!" Edition

If only.....

by Anonymousreply 602August 15, 2020 2:16 AM

Ugh. Horrible title.

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 5:27 AM

Theatre is dead.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 5:28 AM

Can anyone comment on this all male production of Mame?

Why did Jerry Herman approve it?

Why is it considered a piece of LGBTQ history?

Just why?

Act 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 5:28 AM

Act 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 5:29 AM

Was trying to cast a film version of Follies in my head today and was seriously stumped over Sally and Buddy. Pfeiffer is a pretty obvious choice for Phyllis, and I could see Victor Garber playing Ben, or any number of other guys playing either of those parts. But for Sally and Buddy I just don't know....

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 6:11 AM

R5 Victor Garber gave a respectable performance as Ben at Encores!' "Follies" in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 6:26 AM

Pfeiffer is too old. Phyllis and Sally are about 50 and the men a bit older.

Really, the best two film actresses would be Renée Zellweger as Sally and Catherine Zeta-Jones as Phyllis with Hugh Jackman as Ben. Not sure who'd be good for Buddy....maybe Russell Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 7:51 AM

Whatever happened to Michael Hartman? Just googling his career trajectory, it looks like he was running his own boutique PR firm with major clients like “Wicked,” then left to become CEO of some specialty ice cream company, then went to Serino Coyne? What an odd path.

And his more recent credits at SC have been pretty underwhelming, too—“Slava’s Snowshow,” anyone?—which makes me think he was exiled to some PR Siberia. How do you go from repping “Wicked” to that?

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 11:39 AM

Broadway is a brutal mistress. Things happen to people along the way. Leave Michael alone.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 11:43 AM

R9, you do realize saying that only makes people more curious, don’t you?

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 11:54 AM

Seth Rogen as Buddy

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 11:57 AM

In the last thread, a poster mentioned the idea of Dixie Carter in Coco. I'm wondering if she should have done more musicals work right after Designing Women ended in '93. I know she played Mame in an episode, but I really see her as possibly the definitive Vera Charles. Or what about a surprise revival of Dear World? What about having her take on Kiss of the Spider Woman for 1995-96? Or Sunset Boulevard for 1997-98? Or, of course ... Follies (I see her as Phyllis).

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 12:50 PM

"Broadway is a brutal mistress"??

Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 12:55 PM

R7 has never heard Russell Crowe sing. Or seen him dance.

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 1:06 PM

R3, honestly, it’s likely an all male cast would be the only kind to get Mame right

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 1:08 PM

Charlie Sheen is the best Buddy we have today. He reeks of 'traveling salesman' in a way Gene Nelson never could.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 1:13 PM

Is Charlie Sheen a box office draw? Victor Garber wouldn't draw flies at the BO.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 1:55 PM

Actually, I suspect Victor Garber's BO would draw lots of flies.

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 1:56 PM

Is that you, Bradley Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 1:57 PM

[quote] Leave Michael alone.

r9 this is a gossip thread. That's now how this works. That's not how any of this works.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 2:07 PM

I never miss a Russell Crowe musical

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 2:13 PM

Hear me out ... Hugh Jackman as *Buddy* ... he can do that middle-aged desperation vibe (see Bad Education), and Ben is easier to cast

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 2:21 PM

I'd hope to avoid more of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones in musicals. They had their moment in Chicago, but they aren't legends in that regard.

I could see Catherine Zeta-Jones as Stella, however, doing a decent job of Who's That Woman. It could work, except for the fact that she's probably had so much Botox that there is absolutely nothing different about her appearance, invalidating the point of the song.

Something tells me there weren't really any black women in the Follies back in the day, but now it seems like it's a tradition for Stella to be played by a black actress. That's the way they went in the Broadway Revival and with the National Theatre Company as well.

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 2:28 PM

My God, that was horrible.

Worse than Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 2:40 PM

Was Hartman MeToo’d or something? Which reminds me, what’s up with William Ivey Long? Did anything ever come of that Medium post from back in March?

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 2:42 PM

*** 3 GIRLS 3 ***

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 2:45 PM

If you want to know why Hartman came back to New York, you need to look into a story in Texas about the husband.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 3:13 PM

Broadway Bares: ZOOM IN 2020

Give a little.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote]I could see Catherine Zeta-Jones as Stella

Stella is too small a role for CZ-J. She would only take Phyllis or Carlotta. Any other role is not worth her time.

Is Patrick Wilson famous enough and old enough to play Ben?

If Kristin Chenoweth wasn't so chirpy, I might consider her for Sally. But I can't stand her helium voice.

She probably wouldn't accept it, but Sarah Jessica Parker could do Hattie.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 4:48 PM

Daisy Eagan for Hattie!

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 4:51 PM

R17 VIctor Garber was in TITANIC, one of the biggest blockbusters ever and for 12 years was the highest-grossing film of all time!

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 4:52 PM

[quote]VIctor Garber was in TITANIC, one of the biggest blockbusters ever and for 12 years was the highest-grossing film of all time!

Unfortunately, nobody remembers him in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 4:55 PM

We've already discussed this on the Follies Film thread. The consensus was Chris Pine as Benjamin Stone with Amy Adams as Sally Durant (Plumber). There was support for Toni Collette as Phyllis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 5:11 PM

Someone also suggested Jamie Bell as Buddy. He's only 34, but like Pine, he reads older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 5:14 PM

[Quote] Charlize Theron started her career as a ballet dancer in South Africa.

Theron has openly said that she can't sing. She'd look sensational as Phyllis.

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 5:21 PM

[quote] Theron has openly said that she can't sing. She'd look sensational as Phyllis.

Can Theron lip synch?

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 5:30 PM

I'm available....

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 5:40 PM

Theron doesn't even have to sing. They could fix any notes. Phyllis only requires a limited range. I was surprised that Janie Dee sounds as much of a non-singer as Alexis Smith.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote]honestly, it’s likely an all male cast would be the only kind to get Mame right

Not in this instance.

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 6:41 PM

Can anyone spare s copy of Sheridan Smith’s “Funny Girl”? No snickering, please!,

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 6:56 PM

Sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 7:02 PM

Anyone have the Japanese subtitled Dear Evan Hanson?

It used to be on YouTube and linked from DL, but YT deleted it before I got a chance to watch

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2020 7:08 PM

Sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2020 7:13 PM

R43, I love you

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote] I really see her as possibly the definitive Vera Charles

Then get your glasses adjusted. There has already been a definitive Vera Charles, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2020 7:28 PM

Young Marx.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2020 7:33 PM

Re that all-male Mame, it's curious. They obviously had some money - the orchestra is terrific, and the costumes look designed, rather than just pulled from what the theatre had in stock. The sets are middling, though. Mame and young Patrick are the only two halfway decent actors. I can't believe they couldn't find a queen who knew how to deliver Vera's lines. One thing I'll say about Gooch - when "she" comes downstairs for her big reveal, she plays it as Gooch in dress-up, rather than that Gooch has suddenly become a burlesque queen. Which is good.

Does anyone know where this was? Of course, it's 40 years ago. I imagine a lot of that cast is no longer around, from age if not from AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2020 7:33 PM

Sheridan Smith should have refused to have that production taped at that time. She had gained so much weight that it's a real issue.

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2020 7:36 PM

Her size is just the beginning of the problems with that production.

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2020 7:38 PM

I wasn't basing the fat comment on the thumbnail, but on watching a bit of the clip - her in her middy blouse and later in the Coronet Man number. Girl is heifer-sized in that video.

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2020 7:42 PM

So that all-male Mame is in San Francisco. Makes it even stranger that they couldn't find some more-talented actors, especially for Vera.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2020 7:44 PM

Maybe they used The Cockettes as talent.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2020 7:45 PM

[quote]Then get your glasses adjusted. There has already been a definitive Vera Charles, thank you very much.

Yes, there was. My wife, the actress Coral Browne.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2020 8:55 PM

Exc-u-u-u-use me, r53!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2020 9:00 PM

Robbie Fairchild’s ex will return to Paris in November, this time to be in 42nd Street with Norm Lewis as Julian Marsh.

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2020 9:57 PM

R27 do tell or even just tease a little more

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2020 10:54 PM

Faith Prince is playing Dorothy Brock?

by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2020 10:55 PM

Do you think in future productions of Assassins, the "N" word will be removed from John Wilkes Booth's "The Ballad of Booth"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2020 11:22 PM

Tne "n word" is used quite a bit in a lot of modern plays -- "Ragtime," for one.

by Anonymousreply 59August 6, 2020 12:16 AM

The remarkable story of the Shaw Festival and how they are continuing to employ 500 people despite having no shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 6, 2020 12:22 AM

Is Robbie Fairchild out or he just lets everyone "assume" and leaves it alone?

by Anonymousreply 61August 6, 2020 12:36 AM

I don't follow him but someone has linked to IG posts with his bf.

by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote]Is Robbie Fairchild out or he just lets everyone "assume" and leaves it alone?

I would say Robbie Fairchild is pretty out at this point. In June, he posted the following under a picture of himself and his sister as children, both of them wearing tutus:

Happy Pride ❤️💜🧡💙💚💛 I had no idea when I was this little that there were pioneer men and women, just like me, who had fought and were continuing to fight for my freedom to love. I am so grateful. So so grateful🌈 Thanks for the pic mom!

by Anonymousreply 63August 6, 2020 12:43 AM

Doesn't that imply that he is a pioneer of some sort?

by Anonymousreply 64August 6, 2020 12:44 AM

I think he meant "just like me" to mean fellow homos, not that he, too, is a pioneer.

by Anonymousreply 65August 6, 2020 12:46 AM

R58 They'll say the n-word in "Pig Latin"

by Anonymousreply 66August 6, 2020 12:48 AM

I often wonder about words like that being used from now on since there seems to be this idea now that these words can never, ever be said - even if it's coming from a character you shouldn't like or there's some historical context to it. I'm wondering what this attitude will do to art years down the road. Will people only be able to call one another a "pee pee head" when they're trying to hurt someone's feelings? Aren't people not supposed to be nice to everyone and be a stand up individual in fiction? Seems like there's not a lot of conflict if we start policing what even the villains of a story can and can't do. It's like we want them to be evil, but not too evil, because that'll make some people too uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 67August 6, 2020 1:12 AM

The reason I brought up the "N" word is that I just saw that British historian Lucy Worsley got a lot of blowback for quoting John Wilkes Booth in one of her historical documentaries.

(It probably didn't help that she was dressed as a field hand at the time, but that's our Lucy. I kid, I kid).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 6, 2020 1:22 AM

The N word is now more offensive and unacceptable in theater than depictions of murder, rape or abuse. This is where we are.

by Anonymousreply 69August 6, 2020 1:42 AM

R59. Yes, and a coalition of BIPOC Theatre Arts majors at Ithaca College have just sent a list of complaints and demands over what they describe as racism and transphobia in the department (Google Ithaca College BIPOC Theatre and you can find the letter, which has been posted publicly). One instance of complaint was when a white music director made reference to the “n” word (he said the actual word) while they were rehearsing “Ragtime” a few years ago. I don’t know you talk about that show and work with actors and singers without uttering the word st some point.

They’re doing “Sweeney Todd” this season (if they actually get to perform)—what about all the British anthrophages that show will offend!

by Anonymousreply 70August 6, 2020 2:07 AM

Why did the last thread end so abruptly?

by Anonymousreply 71August 6, 2020 2:12 AM

WE SEE YOU WHITE UNSEEN VICTOR GARBER IN 'TITANIC"

by Anonymousreply 72August 6, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote]Why did the last thread end so abruptly?

It didn't end abruptly. It was closed at 601 posts.

by Anonymousreply 73August 6, 2020 2:50 AM

When I was a boy there was a very large painted blocklong sign in Time Square between 45th st and 46th street above the Astor and Victoria movie theaters. It announced in bold letters a film called The Legend of Nigger Charlie. It gave me pause every time I saw it but I don't believe there were any comments about it in the press. It even made it onto postcards featuring Times Square in the 70s. The term was just as offensive during that time period as it is today but it was occasionally used to make a point.

by Anonymousreply 74August 6, 2020 3:11 AM

Really r74 It was widely used openly on tv still.

by Anonymousreply 75August 6, 2020 3:26 AM

Robbie & his boyfriend call each other “boo” & disgusting things like that.

by Anonymousreply 76August 6, 2020 4:29 AM

That really is disgusting, R76.

by Anonymousreply 77August 6, 2020 4:49 AM

Noah Galvin and Ben Platt looking for 3ways during a pandemic is not a good look

by Anonymousreply 78August 6, 2020 8:25 AM

How do you know they're doing that, r78?

by Anonymousreply 79August 6, 2020 9:13 AM

This is what you get when political extremists are involved in the arts: censorship. When the far-right were in charge, we had the Hays Code. Then, in the '60s the pendulum went toward the center and we had approx. 40 years of practically non-censorship. Now, the pendulum has swung far-left and everything that doesn't adhere to their agenda is censored. But, as my grandmother used to say, the pendulum always swings back.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2020 9:32 AM

They're bored of each other by now what do you expect

by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2020 11:06 AM

They're bored with each other by now. What do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 82August 6, 2020 11:27 AM

It would be outrageous to remove the N-word in Assassins. Up until that moment it's possible to be finding Booth quite an attractive character, who may be on the wrong side of history but is mourning what has been done to his home, the South, in terms of the carnage and destruction and brother-against-brother stuff. When he says that word it is meant to be a big shock to the audience, and it is. It puts everything he's said so far into a whole new perspective and immediately shrinks him in stature, which the Balladeer caps off with the insouciant "What he was was off his head".

Sondheim has deliberately placed the word for maximum shock-value in the sentence and in the musical phrase.

Surely no black person who understood the intention could object? It's pinpointing the evil masked by hypocrisy that was the Old South.

by Anonymousreply 83August 6, 2020 11:34 AM

What's so hard about avoiding using the n-word when putting together a production? The actors have the script. They know that they'll use it on stage.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2020 11:45 AM

You’re right, r83. It’s masterfully employed. But bear in mind there are people demanding To Kill A Mockingbird be removed from school curricula for including that word. Not to mention there were activists boycotting The Scottsboro Boys because it employed minstrel show tropes. Context and intent aren’t being considered in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2020 12:03 PM

That statement is badly composed and poorly punctuated. Therefore, there are probably many meanings that different people will find. R64 is reasonable. R65 is, too.

That Fairchild would take to the internet to announce his utter ignorance of the history of one of the major civil rights movements of the past 100 years is probably not so open to interpretation. The ignorance is pathetic and publicizing it is, too.

by Anonymousreply 86August 6, 2020 12:07 PM

If we ban the N word, then we blow a hole in Fred Williamson's oeuvre. Three of his titles will be gone.

by Anonymousreply 87August 6, 2020 12:19 PM

Find the Krazy Glue on Eric Bentley's desk!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 6, 2020 12:36 PM

[quote] My God, that was horrible. Worse than Lucy.

Except when Lucy did it, she had $12 million and people who were involved with the original Broadway production to do it with.

by Anonymousreply 89August 6, 2020 12:48 PM

Amy Adams as Sally is a great idea...but wouldnt we have to wait another 20 years for her to start looking appropriately old?

The great thing about Michelle is she looks ten years younger than her age, can ACT, has musical experience and is sexy - all needed for Phyllis. I wouldn't buy Streep in the part at all.

The trouble is....who is in Michelle's range to play opposite her as Sally?

by Anonymousreply 90August 6, 2020 1:29 PM

Why does Sally have to look old? There are plenty of old characters in FOLLIES. The four leads are all under 50.

by Anonymousreply 91August 6, 2020 1:32 PM

I'd love to see Michelle Pfeiffer as Phyllis but I think the producers would have a much easier time funding the movie by casting people closer to the age of the leads (40 somethings).

by Anonymousreply 92August 6, 2020 1:33 PM

[Quote] The trouble is....who is in Michelle's range to play opposite her as Sally?

Mare Winningham.

by Anonymousreply 93August 6, 2020 1:34 PM

Hollywood 40-somethings all look 30.

by Anonymousreply 94August 6, 2020 1:43 PM

We have Stella to sing "Lord, Lord, Lord, that woman is me" in the Mirror number. We don't need the leads to look old. Sally talks about being fat. Has Sally ever been played by a fat actress?

by Anonymousreply 95August 6, 2020 1:47 PM

[Quote] Hollywood 40-somethings all look 30.

Chris Pine sure doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 96August 6, 2020 1:48 PM

Not necessarily in close up. And change the hair to 1971 styles. That will age them nicely.

This is Amy Adams six years ago. By the time they ever get this fucking movie made, she will be PLENTY old for Sally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 6, 2020 1:51 PM

Mitzi Gaynor might have actually made a decent [italic]Mame[/italic] on screen but she had given up on movies by then.

by Anonymousreply 98August 6, 2020 1:51 PM

I'm surprised they didn't try to rush MAME into production with Liza after the success of CABARET.

by Anonymousreply 99August 6, 2020 1:55 PM

"Cabaret" was groundbreaking in terms of movie musicals. To have followed it with an old chestnut like "Mame" would have done no favors to Liza's career. Not that the crappy movies she did make post-"Cabaret" were great choices.

by Anonymousreply 100August 6, 2020 2:00 PM

It was already in production before [italic]Cabaret[/italic] was released, but Lucy breaking her leg got it pushed back. The lack of serious Oscar chances once WB saw it got it pushed back further from Christmas 1973 to Easter 1974.

by Anonymousreply 101August 6, 2020 2:00 PM

[Quote] "Cabaret" was groundbreaking in terms of movie musicals. To have followed it with an old chestnut like "Mame" would have done no favors to Liza's career.

It likely would have been a hit. And Liza could have sold the songs like gangbusters. I don't see how it would have hurt her. She was difficult to cast in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 102August 6, 2020 2:03 PM

They should have done BLACK MAME with Diana Ross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 6, 2020 2:07 PM

At least she would have been closer to Mame's age then than she was to Dorothy Gale's age four years later.

by Anonymousreply 104August 6, 2020 2:15 PM

Clifton Davis would have been a handsome Beauregard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 6, 2020 2:17 PM

Let me think, r95....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 6, 2020 2:38 PM

Touche. (I didn't think of Cook as it was a concert but I concede...)

by Anonymousreply 107August 6, 2020 2:40 PM

That was so ridiculous when Sondheim said they cast the concert as if they were casting a revival. Would Barbara have been able to do the mirror number? Carol as Carlotta? Mandy as Buddy? Really?

by Anonymousreply 108August 6, 2020 2:46 PM

I had no idea he said that. Carol couldn't have played a sloe eyed vamp on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 109August 6, 2020 2:47 PM

He also said the men (Mandy and George) were too young for their roles and the women (Lee and Barbara) were “slightly too young”.

I’ll bet that went over well...

by Anonymousreply 110August 6, 2020 2:54 PM

[quote]I’ll bet that went over well...

At least as well as Elaine Stritch pulling focus by vociferously hunting for one of her shoes while Barbara sang "Too Many Mornings," stopping occasionally to pretend to listen to her, and then going right back to pulling focus.

by Anonymousreply 111August 6, 2020 2:58 PM

At least that was a rehearsal (albeit a filmed one)

On stage she backs into Liliane Montevecchi during what is supposed to be a shared bow for the trio, but clearly Elaine thinks is a solo bow for “Broadway Baby”.

by Anonymousreply 112August 6, 2020 3:02 PM

R90, Amy Adams is 45, the same age Dorothy Collins was when she played Sally.

The script indicates that Salyy is 49 years old.

by Anonymousreply 113August 6, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]I had no idea he said that. Carol couldn't have played a sloe eyed vamp on the radio.

What were they thinking when they cast Carol Burnett as Carlotta? She's completely wrong for the role in every way. Did Carol put money into the show?

I hate how in "I'm Still Here" she sings "I've been through Herbert and J. Edgar Hoo-woo-ver." That extra bump was a poor attempt at comedy and Carlotta doesn't need to add comedy to the song.

by Anonymousreply 114August 6, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] "Cabaret" was groundbreaking in terms of movie musicals. To have followed it with an old chestnut like "Mame" would have done no favors to Liza's career. Not that the crappy movies she did make post-"Cabaret" were great choices.

Old chestnut? They both opened on Broadway the same year!

by Anonymousreply 115August 6, 2020 3:42 PM

Eric Bentley, Critic Who Provoked Lovers of Broadway, Dies at 103:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 6, 2020 3:53 PM

R114, the story is that they wanted Carol to sing Broadway Baby and Stritch to sing I'm Still Here. But Burnette (or her reps) turned down BB and said she wanted to sing I'm Still Here.

Do not know if it is true but it makes sense. The proposed casting in the story is more expected and Burnett has always pushed to expand people's ideas of what she can do, so pushing for the less comic, more acted song makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 117August 6, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]the story is that they wanted Carol to sing Broadway Baby and Stritch to sing I'm Still Here.

Did they not read the script? I realize it was just a concert version, but neither Burnett nor Stritch are Carlotta types. And neither are top singers.

by Anonymousreply 118August 6, 2020 4:58 PM

Stritch was a top.

by Anonymousreply 119August 6, 2020 5:00 PM

Carlotta is pretty flexible in what kind of actress it can work with.

DeCarlo, Baranski, Bergen, Paige, Gray, Kitt, etc. This is a pretty disperate group of actresses, and while not every perfromance was great, all of them seemed reasonable bets to play Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 120August 6, 2020 5:02 PM

Weird someone brings up Carol Burnett and Liza because they're very similar. Quite homely and not romantic leading ladies. It might work onstage but not in movies. Carol seems very much a second banana in the movies. Liza had Cabaret and that's pretty much it. Sterile Cuckoo, she was meant to be the weirdo everyone wants to get away from and she did a good job. Unlike Streisand, the camera doesn't love her imperfections. Not a surprise she never became a real movie star.

by Anonymousreply 121August 6, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote]Carlotta is pretty flexible

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 122August 6, 2020 5:03 PM

Carlotta requires glamor. She should have sex appeal but glamor is the number one quality. Liza has/had glamor. Burnett never.

by Anonymousreply 123August 6, 2020 5:06 PM

We have to believe that Ben had an affair with Carlotta and in the show he basically asks her to start it up again. Carlotta makes it clear that she's being fucked by a much younger guy and then might throw him away and get a younger one. Nobody wants to fuck Carol Burnett or Elaine Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 124August 6, 2020 5:11 PM

Glamor can be created. It usually is created. When you work with so many of these 'glamorous' performers, you see that. I never met deCarlo, but from personal experience I can tell you that Tracey Bennett, Earth Kitt, Christine Baranski, and even Dolores Gray were far mousier and less striking looking than their onstage personas.

Weirdly enough, Stritch is one of the few performers I know who had that energy and glamor off-stage that they had onstage.

by Anonymousreply 125August 6, 2020 5:27 PM

Back to the MAME clip for a second....what the hell is 'Mother Burnside' doing in the middle of the title song dancing with the chorus? I didn't watch the whole thing, just flipped through, but caught that business.

As for Liza, she really is a good actress and someone should have set her up with a couple of film scripts with juicy parts. Things like LUCKY LADY and RENT-A-COP might have been fun for her to make but nobody cared in the end. A MATTER OF TIME should have been a great pairing of her and her dad. I loved her in NEW YORK NEW YORK and she was also good in STEPPING OUT and the tv film THE WEST SIDE WALTZ with Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 126August 6, 2020 5:28 PM

Don't forget Liza as Lucille Austero on Arrested Development, R126. TV, yes, but she was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 127August 6, 2020 5:36 PM

Liza turned down CINDERELLA LIBERTY. I wonder if she could have had Marsha Mason's movie career. She probably could have done THE GOODBYE GIRL at least.

by Anonymousreply 128August 6, 2020 5:37 PM

Here's Carol in a glamorous dress. Still not glamorous. Glamor is commanding, not ingratiating. It's why someone like Dolores Gray, whose face was almost as "goofy" as Burnett's, nevertheless had glamor. The bangin' body (when kept in check) helped of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 6, 2020 5:39 PM

Dolores had "bazzazz"!

by Anonymousreply 130August 6, 2020 5:40 PM

Lansbury was able to play a glamor she did not have as Mame. Her stock in trade as an actress was a lack of glamor and she has rarely gone for glamor since.

by Anonymousreply 131August 6, 2020 6:26 PM

But were they as good as Misses Hepburn and Loudon, r126?

by Anonymousreply 132August 6, 2020 6:33 PM

For absolutely no reason...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 6, 2020 6:35 PM

Lansbury was a good mover, which helps with glamor. She had poise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 6, 2020 6:41 PM

[quote]Yes, and a coalition of BIPOC Theatre Arts majors at Ithaca College have just sent a list of complaints and demands over what they describe as racism and transphobia in the department (Google Ithaca College BIPOC Theatre and you can find the letter, which has been posted publicly). One instance of complaint was when a white music director made reference to the “n” word (he said the actual word) while they were rehearsing “Ragtime” a few years ago.

I find it terrifying that some people are so foolish as to try to ban the word even when it's used by characters who are clearly supposed to be villains, to make it clear that we should hate them precisely because they are the kind of bigots who would use such hateful, offensive language. If you start instituting bans like this in the theater, the next step might be ban the use of the word in print, even in non-fiction writings about racism, the Civil War, etc That's how human history begins to be erased -- and it's vital to preserve all aspects of history, not just the positive things.

[quote]That Fairchild would take to the internet to announce his utter ignorance of the history of one of the major civil rights movements of the past 100 years is probably not so open to interpretation. The ignorance is pathetic and publicizing it is, too.

Umm, please withhold your very harsh judgment and read Fairchild's statement again. I agree that the statement is not well written grammatically, but nevertheless, it's 100 percent clear he's saying that WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY, as in the photo, he was (of course) unaware of pioneers in the gay rights movement.

[quote]We have Stella to sing "Lord, Lord, Lord, that woman is me" in the Mirror number. We don't need the leads to look old.

The story of FOLLIES makes no sense unless the four leads appear in their mid-to-late 40s, maybe 50 at most. They're supposed to be old enough that they have a lot of regrets about their lives, but not so old that their lives are nearly over. And, in 1971, people didn't live as long as they do know, and older people then looked older than people of the equivalent age today, so you have to take that into consideration as well.

[quote]He also said the men (Mandy and George) were too young for their roles and the women (Lee and Barbara) were “slightly too young”.

I've never understood why Sondheim said that, because it was only true of Patinkin. Hearn and Remick were almost perfect for their roles as far as age, and Cook if anything was about seven or eight years older than Sally is supposed to be. Sondheim probably just said what he said to be nice and gallant, but he probably shouldn't have brought up the ages of the performers to begin with.

[quote]Mitzi Gaynor might have actually made a decent Mame on screen but she had given up on movies by then.

R98, that would have been great casting. And though of course Mitzi's had nowhere near Lucy's level of fame, she had become quite well known to a wide audience due to all those TV specials she did in those days, aside from those who remembered her from the movies. Still, I can't imagine any studio would have bankrolled a MAME movie with Mitzi as the star -- they felt they needed a really huge name.

by Anonymousreply 135August 6, 2020 7:03 PM

[Quote] And, in 1971, people didn't live as long as they do know, and older people then looked older than people of the equivalent age today, so you have to take that into consideration as well.

Alexis Smith looked pretty great in 1971. She looked even better in the decade and into the eighties.

And Nelson's dancing was still athletic and vigorous. I hope they get a movie Buddy who can really move. That's why I suggested the youngish-but-doesn't-read-as-it Jamie Bell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 6, 2020 7:08 PM

*later in the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 6, 2020 7:09 PM

Allelujah! by Alan Bennett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 6, 2020 7:09 PM

[quote] That Fairchild would take to the internet to announce his utter ignorance of the history of one of the major civil rights movements of the past 100 years

Get off your high horse. That’s not what he announced at all. He said WHEN HE WAS A CHILD he didn’t know there were others like him, who were paving the way for him to be able to love whomever he wanted when he grew up. He was born into a Mormon family, which explains why his personal coming out journey took him till his late 20s.

by Anonymousreply 139August 6, 2020 7:10 PM

"When I was a child" could mean present day, though.

by Anonymousreply 140August 6, 2020 7:11 PM

[Quote] WHEN HE WAS A CHILD he didn’t know there were others like him

When he was a HUSBAND he didn't fucking know.

by Anonymousreply 141August 6, 2020 7:12 PM

People don't seem to be able to see things like context anymore. Yes, I do believe context matters. If you have a lead character we're supposed to like and relate to and they're throwing the n-word around, I see the issue, but if it's the antagonist we're supposed to hate, why not? Where are we going to draw the line as far as what villains can do? So, they can't use bigoted language, but can they still maim, murder, and physically abuse the protagonists? Can they call them "fat" or "retarded" or are those words out now, too? I'm a gay man, but I don't even mind if a villain calls another character the anti-gay f-word. It just makes them more despicable and that's a good thing. It makes you hate them. Now, when you look at some of those 80's comedies when the "likable" characters are throwing that word around, it's offensive, but I don't find it offensive if we're not supposed to like the character.

by Anonymousreply 142August 6, 2020 7:12 PM

That seems a bit simplistic. "As long as the character is a villain, they can say it."

by Anonymousreply 143August 6, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote]The story is that they wanted Carol to sing Broadway Baby and Stritch to sing I'm Still Here. But Burnette (or her reps) turned down BB and said she wanted to sing I'm Still Here.

I've heard that, but I wonder if part of the reason for the change was also that they realized there was NO WAY Stritch could ever have sung those three sustained high notes at the end of "I'm Still Here." Burnett doesn't sing them perfectly -- she's a little shaky on the very last one -- but at least she more or less had those notes. Stritch did sing the song later in her career, in her club act, and she pretty much had to scream the end of it.

[quote]At least as well as Elaine Stritch pulling focus by vociferously hunting for one of her shoes while Barbara sang "Too Many Mornings," stopping occasionally to pretend to listen to her, and then going right back to pulling focus.

The song is "In Buddy's Eyes," not "Too Many Mornings," but yes, that part of the documentary is an incredibly bad reflection on Stritch and her constant need to pull focus.

by Anonymousreply 144August 6, 2020 7:17 PM

It makes you wonder about Stritch's failure to get "Ladies Who Lunch" right on the day/night of COMPANY's cast recording...

by Anonymousreply 145August 6, 2020 7:20 PM

As long as it's obvious that the storytellers aren't advocating using the offending words or phrases, I don't see an issue at all. Usually, giving them to a villain makes it obvious that they aren't saying this is the right way to live your life. What is the line exactly? It seems like it's different for everyone and that's the biggest issue with this who concept. People just needs to realize that anyone can be offended by anything and that doesn't mean we have to scrub every story clean of any edge just to avoid any bad press.

Some people are going to be offended by scenes of racism or domestic violence or or homophobia or disabled people being called slurs. Some of them might walk out and scream about it on Twitter, some might stay and stew in rage, and some might just shrug it off when they see what the show has to say at the end. None of these people are wrong and none of them are right. We can't police art because of what a small handful of people might say. All these Twitter warriors are a much smaller minority than people think. It's pretty easy to not give them power.

by Anonymousreply 146August 6, 2020 7:26 PM

I thought the rules in the States were that black people could say nigga as much as they want, but whites never can?

by Anonymousreply 147August 6, 2020 7:29 PM

But certainly no razzamatazz r130!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 6, 2020 7:29 PM

[quote] This is a pretty disperate group of actresses

Did you mean DISPARATE or DESPERATE? Because it kind of works either way.

by Anonymousreply 149August 6, 2020 7:31 PM

Why would Aurora Spiderwoman remove her videos? She only posts ancient clips, few in broadcast quality.

by Anonymousreply 150August 6, 2020 7:31 PM

^ Having a break for Summer, somebody commented on the last thread.

by Anonymousreply 151August 6, 2020 7:33 PM

That's nice but why not leave the videos up?

by Anonymousreply 152August 6, 2020 7:35 PM

Has anyone run across a decent Color Purple video? I have seen some clips of songs but not the whole show.

by Anonymousreply 153August 6, 2020 7:35 PM

R152 No idea. hasn't he always been a little on edge?

by Anonymousreply 154August 6, 2020 7:36 PM

More Judy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 6, 2020 7:43 PM

[quote]That seems a bit simplistic. "As long as the character is a villain, they can say it."

Really? I'm surprised you don't understand why that makes perfect sense. The character does not necessarily have to be a "villain," but of course we're supposed to recognize it as hate speech when they use that word. Here's an interesting point: In the original TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC by James Michener, he writes that, when Nellie finds out that Emil de Becque has two children by a Tonkinese woman who's now dead, she's appalled that a "n____" was the mother of his children. Of course, in the end she realizes how terrible her learned prejudices are, and she sees the light, so we're supposed to forgive her for the way she used to think.

by Anonymousreply 156August 6, 2020 7:56 PM

Can anyone imagine Mary or Mitzi using the word?

by Anonymousreply 157August 6, 2020 8:06 PM

But that's built into the fabric of SOUTH PACIFIC ("You have to be carefully taught"). Aren't there important historical figures who were slave owners? If someone wanted to write about something good they did, but included their use of the n word, would that be wrong? It would be jolting to an audience. But would that be a bad thing. You have to be taught. And you also have to be reminded...

by Anonymousreply 158August 6, 2020 8:13 PM

[quote]Nobody wants to fuck Carol Burnett or Elaine Stritch.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 159August 6, 2020 8:20 PM

Amy Adams isn't interesting enough to play Phyllis. And, some of these other suggestions are just bizarre...Kristin Chenoweth as Sally? She's a terrific performer but she's a midget...showgirls weren't midgets.

Follies is all about aging and ghosts and regret and dealing with the past while in the present. Other than the ghosts and a some of the ensemble playing minor characters, the two main women characters are about 50...the piece is set in 1971 and they were the last of the Weissman Girls prior to the start of WW2 which would mean they' were 18 to 20 when the Follies ended circa 1941. The two men are a bit older so probably about 52 or so. ALL the other main characters are about the same age and MUCH older....which is why Follies is so hard to cast. The average age of the characters is around 62.

Follies doesn't work if you cast actors who aren't the correct ages or can't legitimately pass for the ages they're supposed to be...and, they all need to mesh together. If you cast 50 year olds to play Buddy and Ben and Phyllis but a 40 year old to play Sally, it's gonna throw it all out of whack. I LIKED Imelda Staunton in the National production despite all her tics but she was far too short and read quite a bit older than Janie Dee...it really wasn't good casting.

by Anonymousreply 160August 6, 2020 8:26 PM

On Golden Pond with Julie and Christopher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 6, 2020 8:35 PM

Hamlet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 6, 2020 8:39 PM

Brent Carver has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 6, 2020 8:50 PM

Read: the Ragtime at Ithaca. As I understand it, the students weren’t objecting to characters saying the word onstage in the world of the play. They objected to one of the directors (music or staging, I think it could be the former as the latter was a POC) saying it during rehearsal. I never got what the context was—it could have been the director wanting to demonstrate how he wanted it said or sung or to give a sense of how it would function dramatically or musically. I certainly can’t imagine he was using it casually or conversationally.

by Anonymousreply 164August 6, 2020 8:52 PM

[quote]It could have been the director wanting to demonstrate how he wanted it said or sung or to give a sense of how it would function dramatically or musically. I certainly can’t imagine he was using it casually or conversationally.

Exactly. I know the bigoted fire chief says the "n" word at least once, but then Coalhouse himself sings it at one point, "I'm not their n____."

To clarify, Nellie doesn't actually speak the word in TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC, but Michener tells us that's how she thinks of Emile's dead wife.

by Anonymousreply 165August 6, 2020 9:18 PM

Brent Carver has died. Did anyone see him in Kiss of the Spider Woman or Parade? I only knew him from recordings, but his Molina seemed fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Sorry R163 - DL is acting up for me today. New posts on in threads aren't showing up at the time they're posted, so missed that you'd already posted about Brent Carver.

by Anonymousreply 167August 6, 2020 9:21 PM

I have a house cam of Parade, and even in shitty quality, carver is very good.

by Anonymousreply 168August 6, 2020 9:31 PM

[Quote] If you cast 50 year olds to play Buddy and Ben and Phyllis but a 40 year old to play Sally, it's gonna throw it all out of whack.

Not necessarily. It depends on the actors in question. John McMartin was born in 1929, whereas Gene Nelson was born in 1920. While one was pursuing women at 20, the other was 11 years old... I doubt you're objecting to their casting as a former duo of stage door johnnies.

by Anonymousreply 169August 6, 2020 9:38 PM

[Quote] If you cast 50 year olds to play Buddy and Ben and Phyllis but a 40 year old to play Sally, it's gonna throw it all out of whack.

A director who gives line readings is a shitty director.

by Anonymousreply 170August 6, 2020 9:39 PM

🚨 BREAKING NEWS: There will NEVER be a Follies film 🚨

by Anonymousreply 171August 6, 2020 9:51 PM

Who thought there were would be a more than good FOLLIES revival? And by a bunch of Brits no less?

by Anonymousreply 172August 6, 2020 10:00 PM

*there would

by Anonymousreply 173August 6, 2020 10:01 PM

68 seems much too young but he had a long life compared to many of the gay men of his generation. Cold comfort, perhaps. Quite a career too.

by Anonymousreply 174August 6, 2020 10:05 PM

I love Parade. A beautiful show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 6, 2020 10:16 PM

Young Brent. No wonder he was cast as Ariel in The Tempest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 6, 2020 10:20 PM

^ Hopkins, (who played Prospero), was still drinking then, wonder if they tricked?

by Anonymousreply 177August 6, 2020 10:22 PM

I don't even think Sondheim talks about [italic]Follies[/italic] as much as DL.

by Anonymousreply 178August 6, 2020 10:27 PM

Let QueenNyla show you how it's done...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 6, 2020 10:30 PM

Pity they draped that bathroom rug on her.

by Anonymousreply 180August 6, 2020 10:32 PM

Now, now, at least they gave her a flattering wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 6, 2020 10:40 PM

R179: She was great and made me wonder what Nell Carter could have done with that role if she had lived to do it. But I'm still not sold on gamut/dammit as a rhyme.

by Anonymousreply 182August 6, 2020 10:44 PM

Does anyone have the link to clips of that (what looks like) community theatre production of "Dreamgirls" where Effie is verrry light skinned and sings mostly in head voice? (And no, I'm not talking about Miss Lake Dardenelle.)

by Anonymousreply 183August 6, 2020 10:47 PM

As a concept musical, Follies will only work as a film if you get rid of all the songs and replace them with pastiches of film sequences from different periods and genres. It's an inherently theatrical piece, and unless it is a smart adaptation it'll end up just being documentary footage of a stage musical. We already have the excellent NT Live recording - there's no reason in the world for there to be an actual feature film. Fosse managed it with Cabaret, and Richard Linklater might yet manage to pull off Merrily - but I can't think of another concept musical that's successfully been turned into a film. (Is Cats a concept musical? And look what happened there...)

The same problem arises in adapting any metatheatrical or metaliterary property to film. Like in the adaptation of Ian McEwan's Atonement - Briony Tallis should have been turned into a filmmaker, not kept as a novelist.

by Anonymousreply 184August 6, 2020 10:47 PM

FOLLIES is inherently filmic. If you can't think of how "Waiting for the Girls..." could be adapted to the screen, I don't know what to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 185August 6, 2020 10:49 PM

Lyrically, "The Trolley Song" is very much a stage number. We're told everything. But does the number work on screen? I say: Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 6, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote] "Broadway is a brutal mistress"??

Didn't you know? There's a broken heart for every light on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 187August 6, 2020 11:19 PM

Many, many thanks to our NT poster for putting up Alan Bennett's "Allelujah!" above! I laughed and may have cried a bit more than once, but it's a sentimental play. Very nice staging by Nicholas Hytner, too. (Has he ever directed any play or musical badly? Not that I've seen. I saw his "Carousel" at Lincoln Center, which totally changed my mind about that show for the better. "One Man, Two Guvnors" was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and his "Midsummer" was bliss.) Anyway, thanks again NT poster!

by Anonymousreply 188August 6, 2020 11:38 PM

Oh for chrissakes, r183, you know not to mention her name! Now she's going to.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 6, 2020 11:47 PM

Who the hell keeps misspelling "glamour"? It's spelled with a u, and that's not a Brit spelling, it's THE spelling. The "u" only disappears in the word glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 190August 6, 2020 11:57 PM

R149: I will never say a bad word about Linda Lavin's singing again.

by Anonymousreply 191August 7, 2020 12:00 AM

I mean R189, sorry. See, that's how bad it was. It made me forget how to count.

by Anonymousreply 192August 7, 2020 12:00 AM

And like Linda, Miss Lake Dardanelle made multiple recordings of her... hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 7, 2020 12:12 AM

Book of Mormon with Gavin Creel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 7, 2020 12:14 AM

...a handbag...

by Anonymousreply 195August 7, 2020 12:16 AM

"I love Parade. A beautiful show."

...a handbag...redux...

by Anonymousreply 196August 7, 2020 1:38 AM

r195/r196=Lady Bracknell

by Anonymousreply 197August 7, 2020 1:51 AM

Carver was indeed wonderful in Parade. The show has the nuance and subtlety of a diesel truck. Preach preach preach. Tell Tell Tell. You don’t know this man? NO SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 198August 7, 2020 1:52 AM

Someone get the chanteuse at R179 a basket so that bitch can carry her tune.

by Anonymousreply 199August 7, 2020 2:03 AM

[quote] Theatre is dead.

Yes, R2. It is. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 200August 7, 2020 2:36 AM

And Aaron Burr shot it, too.

by Anonymousreply 201August 7, 2020 2:46 AM

I remember seeing and loving Parade soon after I moved to NYC. So weird to see Carver has died.

Time does zip by quickly

by Anonymousreply 202August 7, 2020 3:07 AM

I saw Brent Carver in both "Kiss of the SpiderWoman" and "Parade".

Parade was a mess. I just looked it up and it only ran for two months once it opened. I guess it was Harold Prince trying to make magic with a show that really should have played off-Broadway. That being said, Brent was the best thing about the show and was excellent in the role. Unfortunately, he had to play opposite Carolee Carmello, as his wife, who was dreadfully miscast. She played the wife so uptight and haughty, think a Southern version of Miss Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies. There was no warmth from her at all.

by Anonymousreply 203August 7, 2020 3:25 AM

Parade was indeed a mess. So much there but the production was a mess. Like Merrily.

Meanwhile, I posted this up thread but it never showed up. So here it is again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 7, 2020 3:45 AM

[quote] Like Merrily.

Except Parade has shown itself to be a good, solid show post Broadway. There was a strong script under that bad production.

Unlike Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2020 3:57 AM

The script of Parade was unfocused. It didn't know whether it was a story about a marriage, or intolerance, or small town prejudice or a procedural or....

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2020 4:08 AM

r194 I tried downloading that video but ended up with no audio. The audio plays when I stream it, but there's no sound in the download. Strange.

by Anonymousreply 207August 7, 2020 4:11 AM

Dear Edith plays every note of her voice in her delivery above, but, damn if she doesn't do it even more hilariously in the studio recording with John Gielgud. She takes a pause before letting the line rip, from chest to head, and squeezes every last bit of air on the vowel at the top of her register.

by Anonymousreply 208August 7, 2020 4:20 AM

Okay, Parade, Parade. What about Kiss? I'm too young to have seen Brent in Kiss of the Spiderwoman -- my first Broadway show as in the early 2000s -- but my little gay heart loved the cast recording. Not everyone can "bring" their stage performance to the recording booth, but I always felt like I was hearing the full Brent Carver performance on that recording.

by Anonymousreply 209August 7, 2020 4:29 AM

You beautiful romantic crazy kid.

by Anonymousreply 210August 7, 2020 5:54 AM

Brent in Spider Woman was raw, dangerous, heartbreaking, and had an arc like few others in the role. He won his Tony and was gone by the fall...Livent's Darth Grabinsky offered him the moon to stay on (huge payday, a luxury apartment, 24 hr car service), but Brent didn't cotton to the life of a broadway celebrity. He was extremely private, extremely shy, and extremely raw and vulnerable with his emotions and New York was not for him.

After he left Spider Woman, he hightailed it back to rural British Colombia for a while before showing up in Cyrano de Bergerac at a regional theatre in Edmonton.

by Anonymousreply 211August 7, 2020 7:08 AM

Spider Woman tops my list of shows I want to see revived. It’s riskier and less commercial than it’s remembered to be (it features a decidedly non-comic, onstage bowel movement that is, weirdly, a major turning point in the story), but it’s also sensationally entertaining in the right hands and with the right casting.

by Anonymousreply 212August 7, 2020 9:40 AM

I saw the tour (with Chita) when I was in middle school. I don't recall the on stage deuce, but perhaps I was more transfixed by Chita. I can't imagine the show ever being revived without at least somewhat of a name in the title role and there are so few actresses with name recognition I can think of who would have the requisite triple threat skills and touch of glamour. Perhaps 29 year old ingenue Catherine Zeta Jones?

by Anonymousreply 213August 7, 2020 10:29 AM

Sutton Foster will probably do it.

by Anonymousreply 214August 7, 2020 11:20 AM

[quote]he hightailed it back to rural British Colombia

We were never British subjects. Spanish-yes. British? Never.

by Anonymousreply 215August 7, 2020 11:31 AM

SPIDER WOMAN has some great moments, but some truly awful ones. Morphine Tango, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 216August 7, 2020 12:29 PM

Thank you, no r216.

I prefer heroin suppositories.

by Anonymousreply 217August 7, 2020 12:49 PM

I saw Spider Woman in London with Bebe Newirth. The whole thing came off as inane, actually.

The idiotic lyrics included “There are big breasted women over the wall!” “I don’t miss you inside me” and “I know him like the back of my hand.”

I still laugh at the thought

by Anonymousreply 218August 7, 2020 1:09 PM

I really enjoyed the Bway production of Parade. It really communicated the love of the couple and their fight to free him

by Anonymousreply 219August 7, 2020 1:10 PM

Is it wrong that I didn’t realize that the gal was supposed to be sort of retarded in Light in the Piazza?

Now that was a musical that I thought really sucked

by Anonymousreply 220August 7, 2020 1:11 PM

Not wrong r220, just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 221August 7, 2020 1:12 PM

Or maybe just sort of retarded.

by Anonymousreply 222August 7, 2020 1:12 PM

this is... interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 7, 2020 1:25 PM

r220 is joking, of course.

by Anonymousreply 224August 7, 2020 1:31 PM

R220, that all depends on which production and which cast members you saw.

And you left out all of it.

by Anonymousreply 225August 7, 2020 1:51 PM

COVID-19 knocked actors off the Broadway stage. But are the lights dim forever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226August 7, 2020 2:07 PM

"Hurlyburly" opened at the Ethel Barrymore on this date in 1984. Anyone here see that production? If so, what are your memories of it?

by Anonymousreply 227August 7, 2020 2:28 PM

Kiss of the Spider Woman was an example of how the talent elevated the material. As noted above, there were some cringeworthy lyrics in the show. However, a new generation got to see Chita dance and it was wonderful.

Brent Carver was marvelous in the role. He brought innocence to a character that could have been fussily annoying. And he had some spectacular moments. "She's A Woman" and "Mama, It's Me" were thrilling moments in the show. Unfortunately, Kander, Ebb and McNally had no idea what to do with the Valentin character and most of his material is really bad.

There were also aspects of the original novel that were toned down in the musical. In the novel, Molina is specifically there to spy on Valentin, which is not clearly brought out on stage (if it were, it would have been indicated in the music). Additionally, in the novel, Molina is transgender. In the musical, Molina is played more as effeminate gay. Look for this to be a flashpoint in future productions when the T community starts demanding that only a transgender can play the role.

Whatever happened to the production of Kiss of the Spider Woman that Audra McDonald was supposed to star in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 7, 2020 2:38 PM

[quote] Is it wrong that I didn’t realize that the gal was supposed to be sort of retarded in Light in the Piazza?

What did you expect? She's supposed to be from Winston-Salem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 7, 2020 2:41 PM

Nah. It's just wrong..

Did you think Margaret played a tricky game in a foreign country to marry off her perfectly normal and very beautiful daughter?

by Anonymousreply 230August 7, 2020 2:45 PM

I imagine you can only do Spider Woman now with a Latinx cast. I suppose Karen O is a given (love her or hate her) but who would play Valentin and Molina?

by Anonymousreply 231August 7, 2020 2:47 PM

I know! I know! LMM can play both parts.

by Anonymousreply 232August 7, 2020 2:50 PM

Valentin is pretty easy. Anyone who can portray butch and has a great hairy chest. Molina has to be a complete, embarrassing queen who can make us root for her. And, I agree, Karen O. (I can't dances peoples) is a given.

I will admit but "Mama, It's Me" gets me hard every damn time.

by Anonymousreply 233August 7, 2020 2:56 PM

Brent Carver was colorless and bland as Molina (well, he WAS Canadian). He was horribly miscast to play a Latino because he was one of the whitest white men of all time.

by Anonymousreply 234August 7, 2020 3:25 PM

R220, were you kicked in the head by a pony as a child? That would explain your confusion.

by Anonymousreply 235August 7, 2020 3:31 PM

R228 - Molina in the novel is transgender? I just recall him as an effeminate swishy queen. How did I manage to miss that detail?

by Anonymousreply 236August 7, 2020 3:50 PM

He’s more of a cross dresser, no?

by Anonymousreply 237August 7, 2020 3:58 PM

Has the T community co-opted the role of Molina and it really should be just a gay man who does drag?

This article implies he was transgender.

[quote]Valentin Arregui (Raul Julia) is a freedom fighter who is captured, tortured, and then thrown in a cell with Luis Molina (William Hurt), a cross-dressing homosexual (he is most likely a transwoman, but as a sign of the times he is just referred to as homosexual) being held in prison for charges of having sex with an underage boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238August 7, 2020 4:03 PM

R238, I think they have. According to the Wikipedia page, Molina is a transgender woman....news to me.

by Anonymousreply 239August 7, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] I'm still not sold on gamut/dammit as a rhyme.

Sondheim does more of those very-close-but-not-perfect rhymes than a lot of people like to acknowledge. There's another one in the same show, "beauty celestial, the best you'll agree."

[quote]FOLLIES is inherently filmic. If you can't think of how "Waiting for the Girls..." could be adapted to the screen, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree. A great director, DP, and SFX department could do amazing things with the present-day characters dissolving into their younger selves, images of their younger selves being superimposed on footage of the present-day people, maybe even some split screen sequences. And another thing a movie version of FOLLIES could do easily would be to make it clear that certain scenes -- for example, "Too Many Mornings" -- are taking place in parts of the theater other than onstage.

by Anonymousreply 240August 7, 2020 4:50 PM

I’m sure this has been discussed and other threads but just listening to the Broadway channel on Sirius and an Elena Roger Evita song came on and was just horrible, what happened between London and Broadway I thought reviews for that production in London were great And they all praised Atlanta. She sounded horrible on the song I heardAnd I did see it on Broadway and I thought she would be better in person but I was completely let down

by Anonymousreply 241August 7, 2020 5:08 PM

[quote]And they all praised Atlanta.

???

Re Molina: Unless the character comes right out and makes a statement in the musical or in the source material, I don't understand how we're supposed to know whether he identifies as a trans woman or as a cross-dressing gay man. If he does identify as a trans woman, I assume that means without having had surgery, given the time he's living in and his life circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 242August 7, 2020 5:20 PM

[quote]I thought reviews for that production in London were great And they all praised Atlanta.

Elena's alternate was a woman named Atlanta. To say she brought a new interpretation to Eva Peron is an understatement. She added 10 minutes to the show because she riffed all through Don't Cry For Me Argentina and The Actress Hasn't Learned The Lines.

by Anonymousreply 243August 7, 2020 6:02 PM

Thanks, R243. I didn't see the alternate in the role, and didn't know or didn't remember her name.

by Anonymousreply 244August 7, 2020 6:07 PM

The Last of the Haussmanns with Julie Walters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 7, 2020 6:14 PM

I remember in the film of Kiss, at one point Valentin is upbraiding Molina and says something like “Aren’t you a man? What is that between your legs?” To which smiling responds, “A mistake!” I don’t know that that makes him definitively trans—he lives his life as an effeminate gay man—but it does suggest he does not see himself as masculine. I read the novel when it came out and saw the musical (and thought Carver was anything but bland), but I don’t remember if either included this exchange. I also think historical setting and cultural context of the story makes any simple categorizing of the character’s sexuality and gender reductive.

by Anonymousreply 246August 7, 2020 6:25 PM

The original book was the problem.

by Anonymousreply 247August 7, 2020 6:34 PM

[Quote] Did you think Margaret played a tricky game in a foreign country to marry off her perfectly normal and very beautiful daughter?

Most viewers don’t give a crap after the first 10 minutes

by Anonymousreply 248August 7, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote] Did you think Margaret played a tricky game in a foreign country to marry off her perfectly normal and very beautiful daughter?

According to the musical, Italians are stupid and can’t figure out who’s a retard and who isnt

by Anonymousreply 249August 7, 2020 6:36 PM

[quote]According to the musical, Italians are stupid and can’t figure out who’s a retard and who isnt

Or pedophiles because they thought the girl was much younger than she actually was.

by Anonymousreply 250August 7, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote]According to the musical, Italians are stupid and can’t figure out who’s a retard and who isnt

I could have told you that.

by Anonymousreply 251August 7, 2020 6:45 PM

R250. Hardly pedophiles, as Clara is in her mid to late 20s, but seems more like an 18 year old (which would have been a marriageable age, especially in the Italy of the era, in which few young women went to college).

by Anonymousreply 252August 7, 2020 7:05 PM

Benay...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 7, 2020 7:55 PM

Early Lawson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 7, 2020 7:59 PM

Macbeth - Act One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 7, 2020 8:03 PM

Macbeth - part two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 7, 2020 8:04 PM

Someone should do an "Evita"/"Spiderwoman" mashup. Or have Evita play Aurora.

by Anonymousreply 257August 7, 2020 8:10 PM

Barbara Stanwyck, chantoozie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258August 7, 2020 8:11 PM

I am already ducking for cover - but please keep an open mind - Someone on the upthread mentioned I think sarcastically - Charlie Sheen as Buddy in Follies. You know - about 10 or 15 years ago before he totally flipped he might have been quite charming. In the the early seasons of 2 1/2 men he played a jingle writer and would perform them - he doesn’t have a great voice but he is musical - plus he HAD built in comedic talent - and that wistful loser quality. He might have pulled off a pretty fun “Buddy’s Blues.”

by Anonymousreply 259August 7, 2020 8:20 PM

To rhyme a word like silver

Or any “rhymeless” rhyme

Requires only will, ver-

Bosity and time.

– Stephen Sondheim

(From a letter to the editor of Time magazine, May 24, 1971.)

by Anonymousreply 260August 7, 2020 8:28 PM

Not just a chantoozie, r258, but also terpsichorean! Take a look at her coffee grinder...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 7, 2020 8:31 PM

I believe we're told in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA that Clara is 26, and yes, Fabrizio's family are initially outraged because their son is 20 and they assumed Clara was considerably younger -- but certainly not underage. As for them not being able to tell that Clara is mentally challenged (or whatever term you want to use), we're supposed to think that's partly because of the language barrier. And, of course, Clara doesn't act out in front of Fabrizio's family, the only time we see her actually have a panic attack is when she gets lost in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 262August 7, 2020 9:42 PM

‘Clara, dear - what is two plus three?’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263August 7, 2020 9:52 PM

Yvette...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 7, 2020 9:55 PM

Kelli...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265August 7, 2020 10:01 PM

Marguerite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266August 7, 2020 10:33 PM

r262, Clara does have a fairly bad meltdown in the scene with Fabrizio's family when the sister in law is flirting with him; Margaret is horrified but the family seems to chalk it up to passion/jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 267August 7, 2020 11:47 PM

r170- not if they are the correct line readings.

As for the n-word, I was in a NYC production of HAIR in which we sang the original lyrics "prisoners in nigger-town, it's a dirty little war. Three five zero zero. Take weapons up and begin to kill...." There were no protests or complaints and that phrase is sung over and over.

by Anonymousreply 268August 7, 2020 11:49 PM

"Colored Spade" would get [italic]Hair[/italic] canceled if it were a new show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 8, 2020 2:18 AM

When the Olivia de Havilland film version of The Light in the Piazza played its initial release engagement in Winston-Salem, the stock studio newspaper ad was headlined at the top with:

WINSTON-SALEM IS MENTIONED FOUR TIMES IN THIS FILM!!!

by Anonymousreply 270August 8, 2020 2:49 AM

Thanks to the person who posted Young Marx. I've been wanting to see that for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 271August 8, 2020 2:50 AM

Oh honey, we all have been. Last of the haussmanns is up as well.

by Anonymousreply 272August 8, 2020 2:52 AM

I finally caught the movie of “Light in the Piazza,” and noticed it predictably has more depth. Yvette Mimieux seems more mentally challenged than Kelli O’Hara did onstage. The father actually visits, and demands Mimieux be put in a facility when they return, which adds an urgent edge.

And there’s a moment at the very end that speaks volumes. A child is eating popcorn, and throws some at the happy couple as they leave the church. De Havilland watches in suspense, as Mimieux in her wedding dress bends down, picks up some popcorn and eats it. Then De Havilland sees new hubby George Hamilton bend down and also eat popcorn, and De Havilland sees that this union may yet work. Quirky, but strangely moving.

———

I was lucky to see Carver in “Kiss.” He was wonderful. He had a sly watchfulness to his character, always pushing just a little extra to annoy, or ingratiate himself. Now forward, now pulling away. And the neediness underneath. A willowy, feline presence, only soaring when he’s awash in his movie memories. And that sweeping ending, when he finally dances with Chita. It made me want to join them. Kind of an overproduced musical. I’d have had less crowd movements, a la “Evita,” with more emphasis on life in their cell versus Molina’s movie fantasies, until the two blend.

I’d like to have seen Carver’s other work. I missed “Parade.” I’d have enjoyed seeing him as Gandalf in the odd theater production of “Lord of the Rings,” not really a musical per se, though it has some lovely songs, and some reportedly spectacular staging. There’s a CD of it, complete with a DVD of video highlights.

by Anonymousreply 273August 8, 2020 3:04 AM

WE SEE YOU WHITE YVETTE MIMIEUX!

by Anonymousreply 274August 8, 2020 3:54 AM

So finally someone is standing up to Scott Rudin. Will be interesting when all his investors find out how he's been shifting ad buys between shows, which is against all investment documents. This is why Dolly made so little profit for its investors. Rudin kept burying the ad spends for his loser shows in the DOLLY ad budget.

by Anonymousreply 275August 8, 2020 3:56 AM

[quote]The agency says it provided ad and marketing services for various productions by the multiple Tony Award-winning Rudin without a written contract

Well that was fucking stupid of them.

[quote]The suit claims Spotco had an oral agreement with Rudin since around 2014.

Producers being so well known for keeping their word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276August 8, 2020 4:00 AM

He's as big a goniff as David Merrick was.

by Anonymousreply 277August 8, 2020 4:40 AM

From the Dept. of Rhymeless Rhymes:

I painted my car engine/orange in no time flat.

by Anonymousreply 278August 8, 2020 5:04 AM

A request: I've always been curious about It's a Bird, It's a Plane, it's Superman - The Musical and apparently Cheyenne Jackson starred in an Encores concert version of it a few years back. I would love to see it, if anyone has it and can link to it. I imagine that must be a perfect role for him given his physique and incredible voice. Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 279August 8, 2020 6:42 AM

Do we know which musicals were filmed "live on stage" pre-Covid, a la King and I/Hamilton/Newsies/She Loves Me, but have yet to be released?

I would like to think they had the foresight to do that with Bette Midler In Hello Dolly, given it's huge success. I never got to see the show or the tour and I'm still kicking myself.

by Anonymousreply 280August 8, 2020 6:46 AM

I can't imagine Bette wanted her performance preserved because of the state of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 281August 8, 2020 7:33 AM

R280 The London Aladdin was filmed and is screening on Disney sometime.

by Anonymousreply 282August 8, 2020 7:38 AM

While the Broadway Aladdin films himself...

by Anonymousreply 283August 8, 2020 11:42 AM

R283 where can we find these videos folks have mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 284August 8, 2020 1:08 PM

I went to a production of Women Behind Bars in LA in February that was being shot for video. I’m waiting for that to surface.

by Anonymousreply 285August 8, 2020 1:19 PM

Bette was in fine voice, and they could have sweetened the vocals in post-production. I think we'd have heard by now if Dolly had been filmed

by Anonymousreply 286August 8, 2020 1:40 PM

No, Edward Watts played Superman at Encores! Cheyenne played the role in another concert version, but I don't remember where it was. I thought it was preferable to the one at City Center. Cheyenne was perfect. And, as I recall, Lea deLaria played the villain in drag.

by Anonymousreply 287August 8, 2020 1:57 PM

Who played Linda Lavin?

by Anonymousreply 288August 8, 2020 2:10 PM

There used to be a version on YouTube of Bette's Hello Dolly shot by an audience member.

by Anonymousreply 289August 8, 2020 2:22 PM

And Bette sounded like worn out shit on it, too.

In performance, she floated on the excitement in the theater, an excitement she created, but which doesn't get captured in its entirety on video.

by Anonymousreply 290August 8, 2020 2:55 PM

I hear they want Nathan and Matthew for the revival of SPIDERWOMAN. With Charlie Williams as Aurora.

by Anonymousreply 291August 8, 2020 3:08 PM

Charlie will only do it if he can perform the choreography on his knees.

by Anonymousreply 292August 8, 2020 3:12 PM

Bette in the title song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 8, 2020 3:50 PM

Cheyenne Jackson played Superman in 2007 first in a Reprise! concert version in Los Angeles and then in a Musical in Mufti version at the York Theatre in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 8, 2020 4:24 PM

What is the West Side Story recording with Cheyenne Jackson like?

by Anonymousreply 295August 8, 2020 4:28 PM

I don't get the love for Cheyenne Jackson. I think he's kind of fug. Sort of like porn actors, they try to look sexy but they never quite make it.

by Anonymousreply 296August 8, 2020 4:30 PM

There's never been much love for Jackson here. People used to be wild about Raoul Esparza.

by Anonymousreply 297August 8, 2020 4:31 PM

The only thing I found him sexy in was All Shook Up.

by Anonymousreply 298August 8, 2020 4:47 PM

R295 I really like it. It's a live recording of the complete score with Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the San Francisco Symphony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299August 8, 2020 4:50 PM

Nation by Terry Pratchett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300August 8, 2020 5:42 PM

R294 sorry, I had only heard about his performance and Superman I'm passing and didn't make a note of where it happened. Thanks for the info. If anybody has the video of those performances, please post it.

I think Jackson has a terrific voice and I really enjoyed him in Xanadu. One of the things I love so much about theatre is that actors who aren't "Hollywood beautiful" can glow on stage because of the character, the costumes and the context.

Of course, I think Jackson definitely has his own appeal and is far from fugly, but your mileage may vary.

I wonder if any of the tour Dollys were filmed...

Do you guys think they'll bring the Dolly tour back once restrictions lift? Or is it dead in the water now? I guess the excitement for Dolly probably wouldn't be as high, but that being said they already had a tour up and running. They could just store all the parts and once it safe take it around the states. It was very well received the first time around.....so why not? It would certainly be more cost-effective than trying to get a brand new show set up for a tour.

Did people like Carolee Carmello in the role?

by Anonymousreply 301August 8, 2020 5:55 PM

Old Hats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302August 8, 2020 6:04 PM

Wild.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303August 8, 2020 6:15 PM

I was surprised by Midler's raspy vocals in Dolly. It's not like that's a tough sing for just about anyone with any musicality whatsoever. Between hearing both her and Betty Buckley sound so worn out singing the role, I had to make peace with the fact that even our favorite belters can't escape the effects of aging. Peters was a different story altogether. Though her vocal capabilities have diminished a fair amount over the years, I thought she sounded better than she had in years in the role. The performance I saw had her starting our hoarse and raspy with her first song and building up strength throughout the evening with each song. It was pretty interesting to watch. She was also the one who got both the comedy and the humanity. Her monologues to Ephraim were very moving and heartfelt, but she was getting laughs that even Bette didn't manage to get.

by Anonymousreply 304August 8, 2020 7:06 PM

Donna Murphy was a pretty terrific Dolly as well and landed the laughs and the pathos. With Midler, you just had the laughs and with Buckley, you just had the pathos. Murphy and Peters brought them both with superior vocals.

by Anonymousreply 305August 8, 2020 7:07 PM

r300 That looks just like "Once On This Island." Did they borrow the costumes and sets?

by Anonymousreply 306August 8, 2020 7:11 PM

R306 other way around. Nation is from 2010 I think.

by Anonymousreply 307August 8, 2020 7:18 PM

Barbara Stanwyck circa 1940s for Phyllis!

by Anonymousreply 308August 8, 2020 8:11 PM

And Alice Faye circa 1930s for Sally!

by Anonymousreply 309August 8, 2020 8:26 PM

R304 - That describes the Bernie performance I saw to a T. I was in Dallas for work last year at the same time Bernie had a few concerts with the Dallas Symphony. I decided to snag a ticket even though I was very nervous about what sort of state her voice would be in -- I didn't want to ruin my earlier memories. I was pleasantly surprised at how good she sounded. No, she didn't sound like she did 20 or 30 years ago, of course, but, interestingly she sounded DRAMATICALLY better than when I'd seen her in concert 8 or 9 years prior.

by Anonymousreply 310August 8, 2020 9:38 PM

Well she *was* a Ziegfeld chorus girl, r308...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311August 8, 2020 9:45 PM

I cannot see any of the google drive videos that the nice person is posting here. This is what I get: 404. That’s an error. The requested URL /get_player was not found on this server. I'd love to see Aleluiea. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 312August 9, 2020 12:04 AM

Do you have Link Previews turned off?

by Anonymousreply 313August 9, 2020 12:06 AM

^ Just unchoose offsite link previews.

by Anonymousreply 314August 9, 2020 12:07 AM

Also, try using a different browser if you can. They always play on Chrome for me.

by Anonymousreply 315August 9, 2020 12:49 AM

Thanks! Turned off link preview and it worked!

by Anonymousreply 316August 9, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]Alice Faye circa 1930s for Sally!

Isn't Sally a middle-aged broad? Look, fucker, I was in my early-mid 20s in the 1930s! I wouldn't be old enough to play this bitch! I got away with playing Fanny Brice, but 49 is too much.

by Anonymousreply 317August 9, 2020 7:37 AM

R312, Alleluija is embarrassingly bad. The actors are great, but has Allan Bennett written a good play since....actually has he ever written a good play?

by Anonymousreply 318August 9, 2020 1:01 PM

R318 Most of Alan Bennett's Talking Heads (TV monologue plays) are pretty brilliant. Particularly the ones with Patricia Routledge, Maggie Smith and Julie Walters in 'Her Big Chance.' You can find a bunch of them on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 319August 9, 2020 3:35 PM

R319, I agree. I like Talking Heads. And some of his essays are wonderful.

But his plays are horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 320August 9, 2020 4:22 PM

Like listening to paint dry.

by Anonymousreply 321August 9, 2020 4:24 PM

[quote]That describes the Bernie performance I saw to a T. I was in Dallas for work last year at the same time Bernie had a few concerts with the Dallas Symphony. I decided to snag a ticket even though I was very nervous about what sort of state her voice would be in -- I didn't want to ruin my earlier memories. I was pleasantly surprised at how good she sounded. No, she didn't sound like she did 20 or 30 years ago, of course, but, interestingly she sounded DRAMATICALLY better than when I'd seen her in concert 8 or 9 years prior.

R310 , it seems to me that Peters has had a reputation for being very inconsistent vocally pretty much throughout her career, even sometimes within the same performance. I don't fully understand what that's all about, but it's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 322August 9, 2020 4:29 PM

Sorry if this has been posted already. It’s from a Florida high school production of Light in the Piazza and it ain’t too bad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 9, 2020 4:58 PM

The young lady in the clip above, Celene Perez, died last month.

by Anonymousreply 324August 9, 2020 4:59 PM

R324, how tragic. What a beautiful performance.

by Anonymousreply 325August 9, 2020 5:59 PM

After watching a few Nine videos on YT, Was there any sort of backlash of Spaniard Antonio Banderas playing an Italian in Nine?

by Anonymousreply 326August 9, 2020 6:46 PM

Bernadette's voice has always been inconsistent. I've seen her sound a little ragged and hoarse before, but she's always hit the notes.

by Anonymousreply 327August 9, 2020 7:41 PM

No, he was well-received. If it hadn’t been for the Hairspray sweep that year, Banderas would have handily won the Tony for Best Actor.

Raul Julia wasn’t Italian, either, was he?

by Anonymousreply 328August 9, 2020 7:42 PM

But Daniel Day-Lewis is?

by Anonymousreply 329August 9, 2020 7:44 PM

The House of Bernarda Alba with Glenda Jackson and Dame Joan Plowright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330August 9, 2020 7:47 PM

Jekyll and Hyde - the ballet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331August 9, 2020 7:48 PM

Gemini with Scoott Baio and Sheree North.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332August 9, 2020 7:50 PM

R324, where did you hear that? I couldn’t find anything online, but it may be too soon. Was it a Covid death?

by Anonymousreply 333August 9, 2020 9:26 PM

R323 -- WTF? That's very impressive for a high school. And, looking in the pit, unless those are a bunch of seniors who flunked out of 11th grade 20 times, they hire professional musicians for a full orchestra, too? Those lucky kids.

by Anonymousreply 334August 9, 2020 9:38 PM

Slightly OT but I just saw an episode of Rhoda on Decades TV, one of those digital over the air subchannels. It was the first time I had seen the show in years. I either had forgotten or never knew that in the front of her apartment, Rhoda had a framed window poster for Angela in Dear World.

I do remember that Dick van Dyke had a small framed poster for some forgtotten Edwardian musical behind his desk in his office with Buddy and Sally, maybe The Arcadians?

by Anonymousreply 335August 10, 2020 12:44 AM

R335 here. I did some googling and the small framed poster behind Dick van Dyke's desk was for Charles Froman's Broadway production of The Dairy Maids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336August 10, 2020 1:11 AM

R335 here. I did some googling and the small framed poster behind Dick van Dyke's desk was for Charles Froman's Broadway production of The Dairy Maids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337August 10, 2020 1:11 AM

All sources indicate it was suppose to be Vanessa Williams but Ann Reinking accepted the role when Vanessa wasn’t able too

by Anonymousreply 338August 10, 2020 1:16 AM

Williams is only ok. No loss that she didn't originate that role in the revival.

by Anonymousreply 339August 10, 2020 1:18 AM

Vanessa Williams can't dance. She was awful in Kiss of the Spider Woman.

by Anonymousreply 340August 10, 2020 1:22 AM

Of course, the movie of NINE was supposed to star Xavier Bardem. Has any actual Italian ever played the role of Guido other than Sergio Franchi, who replaced in the original Broadway production?

by Anonymousreply 341August 10, 2020 2:01 AM

.I watched Liza last Friday on Dick Cavett along with Paul Harvey and your Miss Gina Lollobrigida. This was after Cuckoo, pre-Cabaret. Of course Dick asks her about not singing Mama's songs and of course she said "Because no one sang them better".

However...she says she *does* do Stormy Weather and Come Rain or Come Shine on her just released album. And, I quote: "We do them with a grooving rock feeling."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342August 10, 2020 2:27 AM

Gawd.

by Anonymousreply 343August 10, 2020 1:08 PM

Has any Frenchman played Emile in a major production of "South Pacific"? I doubt there are many.

by Anonymousreply 344August 10, 2020 1:53 PM

Vanessa Williams sounds like an interesting choice, but that woulda been one pretty chilly evening at the City Center between she and Bebe.

How long into the revival's run did they start modifying choreography for Roxie and Velma? I believe there are three Roxie dance tracks depending on the level of expertise (dancer/mover/Melanie Griffith), but I remember seeing Luba Mason as Velma (with Brooke Shields as Roxie... a delightfully daffy musical comedy turn) and "All That Jazz" seemed different. I can't remember many details, but I do recall the drop-flip onto the floor move with the boys was a touch more... delicate. Mason sounded great and I'm sure was cast to provide visual balance with the tall Shields (hmm... a possible Phyllis?), but it was slightly disappointing to see Chicago with both leads simply moving well. How is "Hot Honey Rag" handled when it's between a trained Fosse dancer and a Real Housewife? Just cut the cartwheel and hope it's a quick 6 week run?

Another "Behind the Curtain" mystery. On a recent podcast, Hinton Battle talks about being 15 (FIFTEEN!!!) when he was bumped up from ensemble to lead as The Scarecrow in the very troubled out of town tryouts for The Wiz after the original star left in Philly. Battle does not name names but says it was a well-known comedian. My initial thought was Jimmie Walker but I don't think that would work due to his Good Times schedule. Flip Wilson seems too old. Googling didn't bring any results, but I did discover Butterfly McQueen was also originally in the cast as Queen of the Field Mice and then later became the Addaperle stand-by. Hey... a check's a check.

by Anonymousreply 345August 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Speaking of Lubas, did any of you see Luba Lisa back in the day? In addition to her chicken walk in a feathered bikini that got her a Tony nomination for "I Had a Ball," she was also Anita in a Lincoln City Center revival of "West Side Story"?

by Anonymousreply 346August 10, 2020 3:12 PM

If Karen Morrow's story at Onna White's memorial is true, Luba Lisa was the original "I can't dance, peoples" Anita.

by Anonymousreply 347August 10, 2020 3:22 PM

I seem to recall them making a big deal about adjusting the choreography for Maria Friedman in London, who replaced Ruthie Henshall. Friedman wasn’t a great dancer, but her personality was perfect for the role. That would have been around 1999 or so.

by Anonymousreply 348August 10, 2020 3:23 PM

R345, I think you are looking for too much star-power in a production that featured Tiger Haynes and Ted Ross. They would not be booking a Los Vegas headliner.

I think we are talking more on the level of Nipsey Russell, Scatman Crothers, Charlie Williams, etc.

by Anonymousreply 349August 10, 2020 3:23 PM

Playbill says that the original Scarecrow was Stu Gilliam (who he?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350August 10, 2020 3:27 PM

[Quote] original Scarecrow Stu Gilliam was replaced with a then-18 year old Hinton Battle

Is Hinton Battle playing "Ann Miller" with his age?

by Anonymousreply 351August 10, 2020 3:27 PM

I've never seen anyone who was French play Emile DeBecque. I suppose when they did it in Paris, someone did. :) The only actor I saw who actually played it with a French accent was Philip Quast, in the London Revival. He was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 352August 10, 2020 3:37 PM

Stu Gilliam is exactly the sort you would expect them to cast.

by Anonymousreply 353August 10, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]The only actor I saw who actually played it with a French accent was Philip Quast, in the London Revival. He was excellent.

Robert Goulet, who was French-Canadian, played it with a French accent in a tour that I saw. Also, I thought Paulo Szot did a very creditable French accent, even though he's Brazilian. Of course, he may have had a lot of familiarity with the language by the time he came to do SOUTH PACIFIC at Lincoln Center, especially since he's an opera singer.

As for CHICAGO casting: I find it interesting that the Weisslers seem to have decided long ago that, while Velma always needs to be played by an excellent dancer, this is not necessarily true of Roxie. In a way, this makes sense, because Velma is supposed to be a professional dancer. But on the other hand, all of the numbers in CHICAGO (except arguably the "Hot Honey Rag") are supposed to be fantasy numbers even more so that most musicals, so in that sense, one could argue that Roxie really should be a great dancer as well -- like Gwen Verdon and, at the time, Liza.

by Anonymousreply 354August 10, 2020 6:06 PM

BTW, Danny Burstein's letter is devastating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355August 10, 2020 6:06 PM

R355 So bloody sad.

by Anonymousreply 356August 10, 2020 6:21 PM

Over There with The Tredaway twins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357August 10, 2020 6:34 PM

Blithe Spirit with Dirk Bogarde, Ruth Gordon, Rachel Roberts and Rosemary Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358August 10, 2020 6:35 PM

"Spaniard Antonio Banderas playing an Italian in Nine?"

"Raul Julia wasn’t Italian, either, was he?"

"But Daniel Day-Lewis is?"

To quote Cole Porter, "So what, so what, so what?"

by Anonymousreply 359August 10, 2020 6:48 PM

Roxie is sort of like Sally Bowles. You can cast someone with somewhat mediocre singing and dancing ability if they at least capture her desperation. It really is more of an actor's role at this point. Well, maybe not in the case of Christie Brinkley.

Melanie Griffith was a great example. Here was a woman with no real dancing skills and tiny, but passable singing voice who acted the hell out of it and got some of the biggest laughs I've ever seen a Roxie get. She more than made up for what she lacked.

by Anonymousreply 360August 10, 2020 6:53 PM

How Do You Solve a Problem Like the Tonys?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361August 10, 2020 7:15 PM

[Quote] I read survivor websites

As Elizabeth Taylor said to Liza Minnelli about tabloid stories, "Don't read 'em!"

by Anonymousreply 362August 10, 2020 7:23 PM

But r347, she *could* chicken walk. That chicken walk brought her a Tony nom. They really should have had her Anita chicken walk.

by Anonymousreply 363August 10, 2020 7:34 PM

I made the post upthread about Rhoda having a Dear World window poster in her apartment. They were strip running the series and a couple of episodes later, Dear World was gone and picture of flowers had replaced it.

by Anonymousreply 364August 10, 2020 11:29 PM

[Quote] Dear World was gone and--

I don't want to know!

by Anonymousreply 365August 10, 2020 11:30 PM

Oh, *great big* W/W, r365!

by Anonymousreply 366August 10, 2020 11:41 PM

Thanks for posting that "Blithe Spirit," r358. I think it's funny that Ruth Gordon shows up as Arcati (doing very well), but doesn't even bother with a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 367August 11, 2020 12:02 AM

^ Like Glenda and Joan doing 'Banana Alba' with no Spanish accents.

by Anonymousreply 368August 11, 2020 12:12 AM

I'd rather an actor retain their own accent than do a bad one.

by Anonymousreply 369August 11, 2020 12:15 AM

Has the Bacall "Blithe Spirit" ever shown up in someone's collection?

by Anonymousreply 370August 11, 2020 12:16 AM

R368, I hope that is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 371August 11, 2020 12:34 AM

I was disappointed in her, r367, and I was expecting her to be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 372August 11, 2020 12:37 AM

R371 Nope, scroll up.

by Anonymousreply 373August 11, 2020 12:38 AM

r355 - ugh. That's just... crushing. I feel so terrible for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 374August 11, 2020 12:39 AM

Jordan Roth's hair could do with some volume.

by Anonymousreply 375August 11, 2020 12:39 AM

I understand the Burstein's wanted to lower their son's chances of catching the coronavirus but it doesn't sound like Danny is in any fit state to be sole carer for his wife. They may also think that they're sparing the son from seeing his mother's health decline but... he needs to be part of it, as tough as it is.

by Anonymousreply 376August 11, 2020 12:41 AM

*Bursteins

by Anonymousreply 377August 11, 2020 12:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378August 11, 2020 12:41 AM

R373, why would they have accents?

The play is a translation. Usually an accent indicates that the character is speaking English but colored by their native accent.

If they are speaking English the characters would be speaking "Spanish" hence, not accent is needed.

That is why no one uses Russian accents when playing Chekhov, German accents when playing Brecht, French accents when playing Feydeau , Jewish accents when playing a Biblical drama, or Spanish accents when playing Lorca, etc

(Did a troll just make me belabor the obvious?}

by Anonymousreply 379August 11, 2020 1:12 AM

A little. I live in a small town, and they did a production of Frankenstein, where, within the first scene, the accents went from German, Russian, Kiwi and English...it only got worse.

by Anonymousreply 380August 11, 2020 1:18 AM

That isn't consistent, though. Didn't Gunton use a Spanish/Argentinian accent in EVITA but LuPone didn't.

by Anonymousreply 381August 11, 2020 1:18 AM

Gunton was the only leading or featured performer who used an accent in EVITA.

by Anonymousreply 382August 11, 2020 1:31 AM

Shouldn't the direct figure out what they're going to do with accents from the start? Either everyone does one (unless there's a reason in the script) or no one does. I see this in many productions of Sweeney Todd where Lovett is always played with an accent, even if it's a bad one, and no one really cares what Sweeney or anyone else does.

by Anonymousreply 383August 11, 2020 1:35 AM

r376, they probably don't have the money or insurance coverage to afford home care for Rebecca. The only alternative would be to put her in a nursing home, and I don't think either of them are ready for that. I don't think they want to do a GoFundMe or beg the Broadway community for help, which would only help in the short term, but I'm afraid from his description of the progress of her symptoms, the short term is all she has left. So, so horribly awful.

by Anonymousreply 384August 11, 2020 1:49 AM

r382

I have seen at least 2 audition sheets saying that any actor going for Peron do NOT try to imitate the accent on the OBC

by Anonymousreply 385August 11, 2020 1:55 AM

r384

And that's why the 24 year old son should be part of her care.

by Anonymousreply 386August 11, 2020 1:56 AM

Speaking of Frankenstein just watched the National Theater production the other day with Benedict Cumberbatch as the Creature and Johnny Lee Miller as Victor Frankenstein, really enjoyed it. Cumberbatch gave a great performance as the Creature.

Then I watched it a few days later with the roles reversed and Miller was not as good as the Creature, he also wasn't great as Frankenstein.

by Anonymousreply 387August 11, 2020 2:33 AM

[quote]they probably don't have the money or insurance coverage to afford home care for Rebecca.

They're both members of Actor's Equity. Can't the union help them in any way?

by Anonymousreply 388August 11, 2020 2:48 AM

There’s the Actors Fund, but they are probably tapped out, having provided emergency funds for so many actors suddenly out of work.

Rebecca is technically the boys’ stepmother, although she came into their lives when they were fairly young. It’s so shocking to hear that the ALS is progressing so quickly with her. Generally, it’s a 2-4 year survival, but there are, in fact, many patients who have lived quite a bit longer than that.

by Anonymousreply 389August 11, 2020 3:03 AM

I'm surprised one of their friends in the Broadway community hasn't started a GoFundMe. Can't you just start them on someone's behalf?

by Anonymousreply 390August 11, 2020 3:13 AM

Speaking of Mitzi Gaynor, Broadway director/choreographer/performer Tony Charmoli has died. Not only did he choreograph Woman of the Year and Ankles Aweigh, he was in Love Life and Make Mine Manhattan and staged lots of great numbers with beloved DL divas.

Also, Tony's in the Scotty Bowers film, corroborating Scotty's stories. Tony tells about an orgy that took place at his house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391August 11, 2020 3:57 AM

[quote]R134 Lansbury was a good mover, which helps with glamor. She had poise.

Poise PADS, more like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392August 11, 2020 5:21 AM

[quote]R171 🚨 BREAKING NEWS: There will NEVER be a Follies film 🚨

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393August 11, 2020 5:29 AM

[quote]R187 Didn't you know? There's a broken heart for every light on Broadway.

Or twenty-thousand.

by Anonymousreply 394August 11, 2020 5:31 AM

There's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 395August 11, 2020 11:51 AM

The marquees will go red along the West End to remind people that theatre is important.

by Anonymousreply 396August 11, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote]The marquees will go red along the West End to remind people that theatre is important.

That should do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 397August 11, 2020 3:23 PM

I'm sure Tony is choreographing Betty a snappy number in...well...wherever she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398August 11, 2020 4:09 PM

Did I ask for your opinion? Fuck off, r398!

by Anonymousreply 399August 11, 2020 6:00 PM

Harvey Fierstein on Broadway’s "Horrifying" Shutdown, Writing His Memoir—and "Gentleman Callers":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400August 11, 2020 6:37 PM

R398, that choreography actually looks pretty cool

by Anonymousreply 401August 11, 2020 6:38 PM

Has anyone purchased Charmoli's book? I Google Image searched his partner but to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 402August 11, 2020 6:41 PM

R43, Thank you for posting.

Watching Ben Platt's character sing "Waving Through a Window" in the context of the plot is just devastating.

by Anonymousreply 403August 11, 2020 6:53 PM

r399 - Guess what, Betty...I smudged...

by Anonymousreply 404August 11, 2020 7:10 PM

That article by Danny Burstein is incredibly sad. I can't imagine what he and his wife are going through just to get through each day. I wish them well.

by Anonymousreply 405August 11, 2020 7:18 PM

Endgame with Alan Cummings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406August 11, 2020 7:23 PM

Have you Sweeney with Michael Balls?

by Anonymousreply 407August 11, 2020 7:26 PM

Poe - The Musical.

- Blithe Spirit with Lauren Bacall - the audio is available on Spotify.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408August 11, 2020 7:27 PM

[Quote] Blithe Spirit with Lauren Bacall - the audio is available on Spotify.

Thanks. I presume it's out of copyright. Could someone put it on YouTube?

by Anonymousreply 409August 11, 2020 7:28 PM

Betty, you were always a C U Next Tuesday kind of gal.

by Anonymousreply 410August 11, 2020 7:28 PM

R407 Sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411August 11, 2020 7:29 PM

Thanks, 411.

by Anonymousreply 412August 11, 2020 7:30 PM

Is this really Sandy Duncan? She looks like Maureen McCormick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413August 11, 2020 7:36 PM

R413 Sure is! The eye gives her away.

by Anonymousreply 414August 11, 2020 7:41 PM

R409, how could it be out of copyright?

by Anonymousreply 415August 11, 2020 7:56 PM

[Quote] how could it be out of copyright?

Perhaps I should rephrase. Audio is sometimes uploaded to download/streaming services from "companies" that don't own the audio. That said, some productions fall out of copyright. I think the first "Night of the Living Dead", or a similar low budget horror from that period, wasn't registered/renewed properly. Anyone can release it.

And, of course, in Europe there are lots of recordings that have fallen out of copyright up to the year 1962.

by Anonymousreply 416August 11, 2020 8:05 PM

RIght, but that audio production of Blithe Spirit uses a script that is still a valuable property.

The underlying rights are still owned by Noel Cowards heirs, so it cannot legally be distributed without approval.

Even if the recording itself is out of copyright, that only means the artists and producers involved with that production cannot profit from it.

Coward's estate still owns the words spoken and can demand payment for them, block the recording's distribution, or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 417August 11, 2020 8:12 PM

Ok, but Elaine Stritch can be heard on YouTube in a radio production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" I'm sure it's not supposed to be there but it is... perhaps the Bacall "Blithe Spirit" will join it...

by Anonymousreply 418August 11, 2020 8:20 PM

That Stritch production Who's Afraid is a bootleg of a BBC radio production. (I think it was also available commercially, but I could be wrong.)

No one can seriously believe that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf has somehow passed out of copyright.

by Anonymousreply 419August 11, 2020 8:36 PM

And yes, Blithe Spirit, may join them.

But it would be a bootleg.

But it would be silly to think the play has entered the public domain.

by Anonymousreply 420August 11, 2020 8:38 PM

ATC is in a tizzy because Then She Fell never went after tourists and the pinheads there never heard of it.

Why are drama teachers from the midwest surprised that they do not know what is going on in New York theater.

by Anonymousreply 421August 11, 2020 8:42 PM

I used to have the Bacall Blithe Spirit on vinyl...

by Anonymousreply 422August 11, 2020 8:45 PM

I expect Bacall was awful as Elvira and I want to experience it.

by Anonymousreply 423August 11, 2020 8:49 PM

I had not idea Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (sp?) is a No Nose Nanette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424August 11, 2020 8:50 PM

I love this remembrance of Julie Wilson. (But what happened once she got off the bus in Jersey City? Did she live right near a stop?)

[Quote] She asked me to walk her to Port Authority, where she wrapped her slicked back hair in a babushka, and took the bus back to Jersey City. On our walk, I told her about a photo I had seen of her at La Maisonette at the St. Regis Hotel, which she ruled for over a decade with her throaty, sultry vocals, her statuesque figure, and her wit and wisdom. She said, "Was I holding a big copy of "The Kinsey Report?" I told her yes, and she replied, "Well, it was a comedy number in my act, but just between you and me and the bum in the gutter, it's a pretty good read."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425August 11, 2020 8:52 PM

Re the Bacall "Blithe Spirit" (with Coward himself and Claudette Colbert and Mildred Natwick), I know the video exists as well, because I know people who have seen it/have it. It seems to be very holy-grail-ish (not as much as the Merman TV Annie or the Pat Routledge Sullivan Show Not on Your Nellie, though), and I have nothing to offer in return, so I've never had the nerve to ask for a copy.

by Anonymousreply 426August 11, 2020 9:19 PM

Search Bacall Coward Colbert Blithe Spirit DVD bitches. The colorcast is lost but the kinescope is out there.

by Anonymousreply 427August 11, 2020 11:17 PM

Your tone seems very pointed...

by Anonymousreply 428August 12, 2020 1:36 AM

Some color photos remain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429August 12, 2020 1:39 AM

Mildred, doing her thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430August 12, 2020 1:40 AM

R430 'Tits, Lauren. have your tits out.'

by Anonymousreply 431August 12, 2020 1:48 AM

Who doesn't adore Mildred Natwick?

by Anonymousreply 432August 12, 2020 2:26 AM

So Broadway.com’s parent company laid off 100 people yesterday. Is Paul Wonterek gonna be the first Broadway “name“ to start an OnlyFans, then? Did he get the heave-ho, too? All the Broadway sites are beyond depressing these days (for obvious reasons). TBH these DL threads have been quite fun and lively these last few months (in my opinion, at least). Are Theatermania and BroadwayWorld next to go?

by Anonymousreply 433August 12, 2020 2:44 AM

Paul Wontorek? OnlyFans? Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 434August 12, 2020 3:07 AM

I'm not sure if all these boots being posted are from one poster, but THANK YOU whomever you (or y'all) are! May I ask if you have any of these? Probably a longshot, but thought I'd ask...

FELA! (Broadway or national tour)

ON THE TOWN (the most recent Broadway revival -- hopefully with Megan Fairchild and before the orchestra reduction)

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC (LA Opera Production with Judith Ivey, Victor Garber, Laura Benanti)

by Anonymousreply 435August 12, 2020 8:55 AM

Most of these are NT Live broadcasts, not someone sitting in the audience with a camcorder.

by Anonymousreply 436August 12, 2020 12:03 PM

And yet they have all been wonderful. Repeating the above, thanks to everyone who has posted these fabulous performances, boots or officially recorded or whatever. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 437August 12, 2020 12:09 PM

What do you mean yet? The NT Live performances are professionally recorded. Of course they're better than a fan recording.

by Anonymousreply 438August 12, 2020 12:17 PM

I've seen the Bacall Coward Colbert BLYTHE SPIRIT and though Bacall is as uncoward as she can be, she's really funny, At one moment Natwick is standing next to her and exclaims, "I smell ectoplasm!" Bacall, highly offended, brays "What a disGUSTing thing to say!" I fell off my seat laughing.

by Anonymousreply 439August 12, 2020 12:18 PM

New musical fans should check out SONGS FROM AN UNMADE BED with BD Wong (and donate to BWAY CARES).

I'm curious what others think. I'm impressed Wong and his partner put this all together under quarantine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440August 12, 2020 1:08 PM

R435, I've def seen FELA posted on there threads

by Anonymousreply 441August 12, 2020 2:30 PM

R440, it really was creative but his voice isn't good enough to pull off an hour show.

by Anonymousreply 442August 12, 2020 2:31 PM

Beginning of a trend?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443August 12, 2020 2:38 PM

I think you mean bust pads, r431. Those ain't her tits.

by Anonymousreply 444August 12, 2020 2:40 PM

Boobies, boobies, boobies. Nothin' but boobies. Who needs em?

by Anonymousreply 445August 12, 2020 3:55 PM

Dear Mildred...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446August 12, 2020 4:02 PM

Uh, r440, you do know that SONGS FOR AN UNMADE BED is 15 years old and had nothing to do with Brad Wong originally...

by Anonymousreply 447August 12, 2020 4:02 PM

R447, Good, now it can be presented with someone else starring

by Anonymousreply 448August 12, 2020 4:06 PM

Misses Hayes and Natwick...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449August 12, 2020 4:30 PM

Um 90 minutes of BD Wong singing is....challenging. His voice is okay, but not particularly exciting...

by Anonymousreply 450August 12, 2020 5:21 PM

He did a great job on the video, it would have been better if there was just a tad less of him though.

Not sure how many people still have extra cash to donate but I hope they get a good response.

by Anonymousreply 451August 12, 2020 6:27 PM

It's interesting how different the theater community is from dealing with Hollywood people. I started watching bootlegs and viewing fundraisers on YT when lockdown hit. I work in Hollywood, been here for over 30 years and it really touches me how much community theater people share. In Hollywood you can honestly work with someone for years and they would not lift a finger if anything happened to you. You'd definitely get the polite inquiries as to how you are doing but outside of that everyone just looks out for themselves.

Also the acting community in Hollywood. . .Oh wait, there is no community among the actors in Hollywood except for the exclusive gay groups of guys and ladies that hang out together, but who know who the hell those people are?

by Anonymousreply 452August 12, 2020 6:35 PM

Well, there's now apparently a new group of unemployed agents and casting people. Have they started at least to commiserate with each other for not being able to pay for their Porsches?

by Anonymousreply 453August 12, 2020 6:40 PM

R435 The other two were never recorded.

Fela - Off Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454August 12, 2020 6:58 PM

Anybody have a decent boot of Les Miz?

by Anonymousreply 455August 12, 2020 7:01 PM

No

by Anonymousreply 456August 12, 2020 7:02 PM

Hollywood is just awful. Awful. It's a city and a business run by narcissists, and I hated my time in LA. Broadway is fantastic. I hope it comes back.

by Anonymousreply 457August 12, 2020 7:50 PM

The Little Prince.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458August 12, 2020 7:51 PM

Uncle Vanya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459August 12, 2020 7:55 PM

I'm changing my major to Joan.

Just an FYI.

by Anonymousreply 460August 12, 2020 8:19 PM

Okay, Cane Face, okay.

by Anonymousreply 461August 12, 2020 8:44 PM

Anyone have a bootleg of SUMMER to post? Please!

by Anonymousreply 462August 12, 2020 8:47 PM

Tonight on Dick Cavett. 1971, 10 years before Mommie Dearest.

FAYE DUNAWAY, FRANK PERRY, AND RAYMOND BUCKLAND • TALK

Faye Dunaway reveals how the end of "Bonnie and Clyde" was filmed; director Frank Perry teaches the history behind his film "Doc"; and occultist Raymond Buckland discusses witchcraft..

by Anonymousreply 463August 12, 2020 9:38 PM

Oh my gawd, she's wearing a caftan and smoking a cigarette in a very affected manner. Dick's in a shirt and tie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464August 13, 2020 1:14 AM

Can someone please explain to me why Dick Cavett had a career. I find him the most uninteresting interviewer, and his schtick seems to be "look at me being cute and turning the story back on me" in every interview. Did people really watch him? He's so bad at what he does...

by Anonymousreply 465August 13, 2020 2:05 AM

At the time, he had interesting and often intellectual or artistic guests (as opposed to the more middlebrow folk on Carson) and he had what seemed like an insightful and thoughtful perspective. I was in high school at the height of his popularity and he was an antidote to the stand-up monologue my folks stayed up for on Carson (they usually went to bed after the monologue). Watching the Cavett shows now can make me cringe, but he seemed a breath of fresh air. Same (though lesser) with Tom Snyder.

by Anonymousreply 466August 13, 2020 2:18 AM

Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show was the most exciting talk show ever.

by Anonymousreply 467August 13, 2020 2:20 AM

I've always found Cavett an empty poseur and a climber, but he did great guests.

Talk shows can be deceptive. People thought that assclown Charlie Rose was a great host for the longest time, too, remember?

by Anonymousreply 468August 13, 2020 2:28 AM

How can you not love Tom Snyder actually bringing up on the air (I forget with which guest though) the story of Milton Berle's (and Forrest Tucker) have biggest penises in show biz!

by Anonymousreply 469August 13, 2020 2:33 AM

having, that is, as in possessing

by Anonymousreply 470August 13, 2020 2:34 AM

Cavett tried to straightsplain "faggot" to Ian McKellen, which makes Serena's jibe about Cavett being a bigger queen rather satisfying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471August 13, 2020 2:34 AM

Has anyone ever heard Tiler Peck's speaking voice? No wonder Fairchild jumped ship!

by Anonymousreply 472August 13, 2020 3:06 AM

Cavett had the best guests and, additionally, the best mix of guests. You would never see Katharine Hepburn on the Tonight Show. And whether you liked him or not, the guests were given more time and received more substantive questions on his show than on any other. His shows were much better than anyone else's.

Much of the success of "The Boys in the Band" can be credited to Cavett's faithful promotion of it. It was a small off-Broadway show, but he understood it was revolutionary and had great cultural importance. No one else with a national television show was interview the cast, some of them repeatedly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473August 13, 2020 3:20 AM

I'm sure this was discussed about 200 theater threads ago but being a new convert to watching stage productions I have to say that Javert comes across as a closet case obsessed with Jean Valjean because he's in love with him and wants that hole so very badly. The religious bent doesn't help matters either, just inflames his guilty feelings and makes him want to punish Valjean even more.

by Anonymousreply 474August 13, 2020 3:41 AM

Bring His Hole.

by Anonymousreply 475August 13, 2020 3:42 AM

Mike Douglas actually had some superb guests as well, including John Lennon and Yoko Ono co-hosting for a whole week.

by Anonymousreply 476August 13, 2020 4:42 AM

R475 I like Patti doing this. Otherwise that show leaves me cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477August 13, 2020 5:22 AM

Also want to echo the Thank You over video links.

....and the heartache over Danny and Rebecca. I agree the son should help but why do I think this couple put his health and safety ahead of their needs? Thst sounds like them. Danny will surely have a breakdown soon if there isn't some respite for him. They NEED another person (or persons) stepping in to assist. Did Rebecca's concert raise enough funds for her to get that treatment?

Also, did anyone post that Chayenne/Superman video?

by Anonymousreply 478August 13, 2020 6:43 AM

[quote]R478 They NEED another person (or persons) stepping in to assist.

We should start a volunteer sign up sheet, here.

I'm sure our endless natterings and questions would make her long for death, though.

by Anonymousreply 479August 13, 2020 7:49 AM

[quote]Don't tell me about it, fix it!

Katherine Hepburn to hovering makeup/hair assistant on Cavett's show.

by Anonymousreply 480August 13, 2020 9:46 AM

^^ It's Katharine.

by Anonymousreply 481August 13, 2020 11:50 AM

If Rebecca Luker is not getting the care she needs, then members of Equity need to FLOOD the next council meeting and demand better health insurance. Few actors work more than Danny Burstein, so he should be able to expect that his union's insurance will care for him and his family in times of medical emergency. That's what the goddamned fucking medical insurance is for. And, yes, I am very well aware of the complexity of it all. Private insurance, Medicare, and social service agency programs. Don't anyone try to excuse this situation. It's not so complex that it cannot be handled well. The family might not get everything it wants, but they should get everything they need.

And fuck Go Fund Me. Danny and Rebecca should not have to beg. They are members of a union that is now over 100 years old. There has been plenty of time to get it right.

by Anonymousreply 482August 13, 2020 1:28 PM

bravo R482

by Anonymousreply 483August 13, 2020 1:39 PM

R 482 is 100% correct. Equity should be shamed for this and the membership should be livid. If this can happen to Danny and Rebecca, it says so much about the inadequacies of that union. It's horrific.

by Anonymousreply 484August 13, 2020 1:59 PM

Please post Jagged Little Pill!

by Anonymousreply 485August 13, 2020 3:38 PM

R485 just search YT. Its up there. Stumbled upon it numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 486August 13, 2020 4:06 PM

Hope you didn't turn your ankle, r486.

by Anonymousreply 487August 13, 2020 5:23 PM

It wouldn't occur to r486 to post the link.

by Anonymousreply 488August 13, 2020 5:24 PM

Sure it did, r488.

by Anonymousreply 489August 13, 2020 5:36 PM

So well said, R482. So well said.

by Anonymousreply 490August 13, 2020 7:34 PM

I never miss a Rufus Wainwright opera - Hadrian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491August 13, 2020 7:45 PM

Things I Know To Be True.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492August 13, 2020 8:51 PM

[quote]Did Rebecca's concert raise enough funds for her to get that treatment?

I believe the funds raised by that concert were for research into a promising new ALS drug, not for Rebecca personally.

Danny's comment about not having health workers said something to the effect that no health worker would want to come to their house given that they had both had Covid. But health workers are prepared for that circumstance. They wear masks and face shields and gloves in situations where they are possibly exposed to a communicable disease. I would think at this point they should be able to get someone to help, at the very least for a couple of hours a day. And don't NY markets do home delivery? There's also various volunteer organizations that will do shopping for elderly or immune-compromised people, and it doesn't cost a thing except the price of the groceries.

by Anonymousreply 493August 13, 2020 9:36 PM

[Quote] no health worker would want to come to their house given that they had both had Covid.

That makes little sense. I know health workers who had COVID-19. Once recovered, they went back to work. Their co-workers didn't refuse to work with them because they had it previously. The Bursteins are no different.

by Anonymousreply 494August 13, 2020 9:43 PM

I expect the shopping is actually a relief - just to get out of the house (apartment).

by Anonymousreply 495August 13, 2020 9:43 PM

FAGGOT LITTLE PILL!

by Anonymousreply 496August 14, 2020 3:16 AM

r496, lay off the hard drugs, huh? Hugs, not drugs.

by Anonymousreply 497August 14, 2020 3:19 AM

R497 was a public service by the Ad Council, the makers of the immortal classic "VD is for Everybody."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498August 14, 2020 3:25 AM

I want VD!

by Anonymousreply 499August 14, 2020 3:55 AM

It can't be worse than a lump on the breast. Or Huntington's chorea.

by Anonymousreply 500August 14, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote]I want VD!

It's not as exciting as it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 501August 14, 2020 4:04 AM

Actually r488 I wasn't going to go search for it when it is literally easy to find on YT. It wasn't even a question that needed asking. Step 1 for finding any show online is to spend ten minutes on YT.

...also, I'm even less inclined to go out of my way to do something obvious for someone here after I had trouble in the previous thread accessing the Two Guvernors download, and various smart asses here refused to even tell me where to find the link (just go search through 600 comments you lazy slob!), or how to troubleshoot the issue of not being able to download it once I did the work to find it, as if Im supposed to either be some technological wizard or completely retarded, with no middle ground in between.

Honestly some of you people really revel in this pointless bitchery don't you?

I know that Lukers concert was to raise money for the treatment, but my question was whether or not she actually got to try the damn treatment.

by Anonymousreply 502August 14, 2020 7:34 AM

The treatment is in the developmental stage. It needs funding to get it to trials, which is when, presumably, Rebecca would start taking it. All of that was talked about in her concert, and also in her initial announcement of her illness back in February.

by Anonymousreply 503August 14, 2020 8:07 AM

[quote]Honestly some of you people really revel in this pointless bitchery don't you?

Well, yeah. Which is one of the stated purposes of this site.

As opposed to posturing by ill-informed pedants like yourself. Which is, now that I think of it, pretty pointless and totally bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 504August 14, 2020 10:15 AM

You do realize that DLers who don't usually post on TG threads regard them as attracting the worst, meanest, and most toxic DLers, don't you? (I think the most recent mention was on some "Are Most DLers Mentally Ill" thread--but I'll let you find it yourselves.)

I share this as a semi-regular poster on this thread. Just saying. We pretty much occupy the lowest bar on our beloved sinking ship.

And now, back to our regular programming.

by Anonymousreply 505August 14, 2020 2:21 PM

Why are you deflecting?

by Anonymousreply 506August 14, 2020 2:35 PM

You do realize that DLers who don't usually post on TG threads regard them as attracting the worst, meanest, and most toxic DLers, don't you? (I think the most recent mention was on some "Are Most DLers Mentally Ill" thread--but I'll let you find it yourselves.)

Actually, I did not know that. Thank you for the heads up. And I can 1000% guarantee I am not going to go find that for myself. A bit tired of digging through threads.

;)

Has there been any word on when the trials will start, or if the money raised by the Luker concert was sufficient to get that ball rolling?

by Anonymousreply 507August 14, 2020 3:35 PM

Did anyone see this? My dvr at the time died with it on my dvr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508August 14, 2020 4:14 PM

So who'll be watching DIANA on Netflix?

I know I will, though I fully expect it to be dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 509August 14, 2020 4:55 PM

Is Judy Kaye playing Betty II?

by Anonymousreply 510August 14, 2020 4:57 PM

I believe so! So there will be at least one solid performance.

by Anonymousreply 511August 14, 2020 5:00 PM

Finally...good news...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512August 14, 2020 5:39 PM

R10 The ever-resourceful Judy Kaye plays both the Queen and Barbara Cartland (not at the same time).

by Anonymousreply 513August 14, 2020 5:55 PM

The above was in response to R510, not R10.

by Anonymousreply 514August 14, 2020 5:56 PM

I'm sure the stunning young beauty Catherine Zeta-Jones will be playing me.

by Anonymousreply 515August 14, 2020 5:59 PM

Allegiance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516August 14, 2020 6:40 PM

Beware of Pity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517August 14, 2020 6:45 PM

What is Lea Salonga's reputation? She doesn't seem to be a benificiary of color blind casting. Is her acting on an Andrea McArdle level?

by Anonymousreply 518August 14, 2020 6:53 PM

Pretty certain that Salonga has an impeccable reputation among her peers from MISS SAIGON, LES MIZ, and elsewhere. She's a hard worker and a class act.

Privately, I wonder what her POV was on Jonathan Pryce and the original Bway production of MISS SAIGON. I don't know if she's ever spoken up about it.

by Anonymousreply 519August 14, 2020 7:02 PM

PS: Salonga's a much better actress than McArdle, hands down. Why even make that comparison?

by Anonymousreply 520August 14, 2020 7:03 PM

Because Salonga has had a pretty blah career. We know she can sing. She's attractive enough. Is the fact she's Asian what keeps her from working much on Broadway or in the West End? Or has she stuck mostly to concert work to better raise her offspring?

by Anonymousreply 521August 14, 2020 7:08 PM

Lea has always seemed classy. Did she get the big Disney bucks?

by Anonymousreply 522August 14, 2020 7:11 PM

It’s true, I was asked be part of Diana, but I felt the role of Meghan Markle was too much of a stretch, even for an accomplished thespian such as myself. Not only would I have to be aged up so much, but to portray such an unappetizing figure would only do a disservice to my legions of fans around the world. Best of luck to whomever they cast!

by Anonymousreply 523August 14, 2020 7:12 PM

The Netflix deal is actually a great break for the Diana cast, as no one was buying tix to see it on Bway, anyway. Maybe they'll get some more work out of it.

So win-win.

by Anonymousreply 524August 14, 2020 7:14 PM

having worked with McArdle.....I can say ANYONE is a better actress. The voice is still amazing...but that's all there is.

by Anonymousreply 525August 14, 2020 7:26 PM

[quote]having worked with McArdle.....I can say ANYONE is a better actress.

Not Jennifer Holliday.

by Anonymousreply 526August 14, 2020 7:30 PM

Linda Eder?

by Anonymousreply 527August 14, 2020 7:34 PM

I can't believe Linda Eder still has "fans." She so clearly stopped trying decades ago, and yes, she really cannot act.

by Anonymousreply 528August 14, 2020 7:35 PM

When is The Prom on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 529August 14, 2020 7:49 PM

Whatever happened to Malcolm Gets? Are they no longer writing Broadway shows for his type? Last I saw him, he did a few episodes of "Suits Starring Meghan Markle."

by Anonymousreply 530August 14, 2020 7:49 PM

Someone would occasionally comment that Gets was battling illness. I wonder if it was the same poster who'd make similar, in-passing comments about Boyd Gaines.

by Anonymousreply 531August 14, 2020 7:52 PM

What about The Boys in the Band? Isn't that due from Netflix, too?

by Anonymousreply 532August 14, 2020 7:52 PM

I don't know that they finished filming The Prom. I have a friend that worked on it and they were still filming right up until COVID lockdown. They had not wrapped principle photography when shut down happened.

by Anonymousreply 533August 14, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote] Did she get the big Disney bucks?

For voicing an animated character? Surely you jest!

by Anonymousreply 534August 14, 2020 8:43 PM

The girl in Piazza is not mildly retarded. She just speaks intermediate Italian learned in an adult education course in the US. Which means she speaks beginner Italian.

by Anonymousreply 535August 14, 2020 8:56 PM

r529=G, waiting with bated breath.

by Anonymousreply 536August 14, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]They had not wrapped principle photography when shut down happened.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 537August 14, 2020 9:01 PM

I'm finally catching up with stuff that's been on my DVR forever, and last night I got around to watching the Lincoln Center Live concert by Stephanie J. Block. (I'm not sure when it was filmed, but it was a while back because it was after "Falsettos" and before "Cher.") What's our take on her? I've only seen her "live" once -- opposite Jason Alexander in "They're Playing Our Song" in LA, and of course I thought she was excellent in the "Falsettos" that was shown on PBS. So ... where does she fit in among our current crop of female Broadway stars? It doesn't seem like she's ever considered to be in the same league as a Benanti, O'Hara, or Mueller--but should she be?

by Anonymousreply 538August 14, 2020 9:08 PM

Well, what do YOU think, r538?

by Anonymousreply 539August 14, 2020 9:12 PM

r539 I would say "yes" in terms of talent, but I don't know anything about her reputation or the way she's perceived by the industry.

by Anonymousreply 540August 14, 2020 9:14 PM

Block is very well-liked. Great work ethic, nice person.

by Anonymousreply 541August 14, 2020 9:16 PM

The Prom did finish filming and will be on Netflix sometime this Fall.

by Anonymousreply 542August 14, 2020 9:17 PM

She 's a DL pariah but I thought she was terrific in Drood. Very funny. Was surprised by the DL dislike.

by Anonymousreply 543August 14, 2020 9:18 PM

SJB is quite talented, however the problem is that she believes she's more talented than she actually is.

by Anonymousreply 544August 14, 2020 9:18 PM

[Quote] she believes she's more talented than she actually is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545August 14, 2020 9:24 PM

Block has a Tony award now for Best Actress, while Benanti has a supporting one, though Benanti has done more shows on Broadway. Unfortunately Block's win for for "The Cher Show" which didn't last that long, as opposed to Jessie Mueller's for "Beautiful" which was a big hit with other women taking over her role during its long run. But Block is probably in contention for any big musical nowadays that doesn't involve legit singing (unless that's a talent she's been hiding or hasn't been hired for thus far).

by Anonymousreply 546August 14, 2020 9:28 PM

Block will be another Whatsername - Drowsy Chaperone, Shirelles musical...

by Anonymousreply 547August 14, 2020 9:29 PM

[quote]Salonga has had a pretty blah career. We know she can sing. She's attractive enough. Is the fact she's Asian what keeps her from working much on Broadway or in the West End? Or has she stuck mostly to concert work to better raise her offspring?

I don't think the fact that she's Asian has had anything to do with it, but your other suggestion is on point. Apparently, she does a lot of concerts and makes a lot of money off them, and yes, of course, it would be easier to work a career like that around child rearing. But also, I think if she had had a follow-up hit to MISS SAIGON, that might in turn have led to more theater roles, But the revised FLOWER DRUM SONG was a flop, and much more recently, so was ALLEGIANCE.

by Anonymousreply 548August 14, 2020 9:31 PM

Broadway doesn't really produce "Stars" anymore. There are performers known and liked by theater/Broadway fans but it doesn't go much beyond the Broadway websites and chat rooms. Benanti, O'Hara, Mueller and Block might be Broadway "stars" but your average Joe doesn't know who they are. It's not like the Golden Age when EVERYONE knew Mary Martin and Ethel Merman and Carol Channing.

Today, very few B'way based actors crossover to larger stardom. Really, the last ones to sorta do it were Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel. They've had high profile gigs outside of Broadway. Audra is a larger star too, I suppose but she's certainly not on a fame level to a Golden Ager like Martin or Merman despite her 32 Tonys. She's too bland to be a big star. Talented and nice but...not very charismatic.

And, the only male Broadway star is Nathan Lane.

by Anonymousreply 549August 14, 2020 9:35 PM

Salonga also went into "Les Miz" at some point -- I forget if she was Fantine, Cosette or Eponine.

by Anonymousreply 550August 14, 2020 9:36 PM

And, Idina is really only a "Star" because she was lucky enough to be associated with three huge hits: Rent, Wicked and Frozen. She's also "nice" and talented but she's not really very charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 551August 14, 2020 9:38 PM

Is Annaleigh Ashford a star?

by Anonymousreply 552August 14, 2020 9:40 PM

Idina's only famous because of MEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 553August 14, 2020 9:40 PM

R552 NO.

by Anonymousreply 554August 14, 2020 9:42 PM

R552 She's up and coming with a supporting Tony. It's not like Benanti sells that many tickets despite her talent; she's better know for her hilarious Melania Trump impersonation on Stephen Colbert's late night tv show.

by Anonymousreply 555August 14, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote]Today, very few B'way based actors crossover to larger stardom. Really, the last ones to sorta do it were Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel. They've had high profile gigs outside of Broadway. Audra is a larger star too, I suppose but she's certainly not on a fame level to a Golden Ager like Martin or Merman despite her 32 Tonys.

I think it's safe to say LMM has become a major star as a result of Broadway (and richer -- they said on the news yesterday that he made something like $42 million this past year).

by Anonymousreply 556August 14, 2020 9:52 PM

Yes, she IS, r554!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557August 14, 2020 9:53 PM

Lea Salonga has been a judge or coach on several seasons of The Voice in the Philippines and has five million Twitter followers.

She works plenty, and is probably well off enough to not have to slog through an eight show a week schedule unless she really wants to.

by Anonymousreply 558August 14, 2020 10:11 PM

Lea Salonga was also in the revival of ONCE ON THIS ISLAND.

by Anonymousreply 559August 14, 2020 10:19 PM

On Dick Cavett tonight:

GINGER ROGERS, RUBY KEELER, LEONARD FREY AND STANLEY KAUFFMANN • TALK

Ginger Rogers, Ruby Keeler, Leonard Frey and Stanley Kauffmann are interviewed in 1971...

by Anonymousreply 560August 14, 2020 11:14 PM

All the LMM haters here, check this out

[quote]Forbes just released their Highest-Paid Actors of 2020 list and while it’s not altogether surprising to hear huge stars like Dwayne Johnson and Ben Affleck have made the top ten list, you might be surprised to hear Lin-Manuel Miranda did, too. Thanks to his deal selling Hamilton to Disney, he sits at number 7 and made a cool $45.5 million.

If I understand correctly, that's merely the payout for the Disney Plus broadcast of HAMILTON. He can still sell the rights for another feature film adaptation at some point.

And when live theatre comes back, there are/were, what, 8? 9? different Bway, regional, and touring productions of the show, with more to come.

All that said, no... LMM is not really a Bway star like Nathan Lane. I don't foresee him opening someone else's new Bway musical in the lead. But you never know.

by Anonymousreply 561August 14, 2020 11:51 PM

If you go away...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562August 14, 2020 11:54 PM

Audrey and a and Christine are not stars.

I'd say that Patrick Wilson has crossed over. People know Patti LuPone from her tv appearances. Glenn Close was definitely a crossover star.

by Anonymousreply 563August 14, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote]If I understand correctly, that's merely the payout for the Disney Plus broadcast of HAMILTON.

No, I don't believe that's correct. Disney paid $75 million, and I doubt LMM got the majority of that - the producers would have at least gotten an equal share to what he got. It must includes his royalties and so on.

by Anonymousreply 564August 14, 2020 11:58 PM

Wow. Lainie was really slim back then. I mean, for her, that is.

by Anonymousreply 565August 14, 2020 11:59 PM

And now Disney's deep in the red.

by Anonymousreply 566August 15, 2020 12:00 AM

Lainie's singing was so affected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567August 15, 2020 12:02 AM

Is Lainie a Sapphic sister? A lesbyterian? No one's ever told me for sure. Who's her GF?

Were she and Kaye Ballard ever... together?

What about Michelle Lee?

Let's talk Bway lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 568August 15, 2020 12:02 AM

Patricia Morison!

by Anonymousreply 569August 15, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote]r562 If you go away...

Step off, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570August 15, 2020 12:05 AM

Lainie goes Disco!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571August 15, 2020 12:10 AM

Step aside, R571! Let me show you how a STAR does it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572August 15, 2020 12:12 AM

Good lord, r562, that certainly went on forever.

by Anonymousreply 573August 15, 2020 12:14 AM

When I was a boy and saw the original Follies the 4 leads were ANCIENT. To me they were ready for the grave. Now if I were an actor I would be much too old to play either of the men.

by Anonymousreply 574August 15, 2020 12:16 AM

Ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575August 15, 2020 12:18 AM

Watching the Noel Coward tribute from Irish Rep with KT Sullivan--who is a dead ringer physically and similar vocally to DL fave, the late Dorothy Loudon.

by Anonymousreply 576August 15, 2020 12:20 AM

How was KT's Lorelei Lee?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577August 15, 2020 12:29 AM

Matronly?

by Anonymousreply 578August 15, 2020 12:32 AM

Now, now...

by Anonymousreply 579August 15, 2020 12:34 AM

Now KT is doing Elaine Stritch in SAIL AWAY. Pretty funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580August 15, 2020 12:42 AM

R577 I knew a couple of people involved with that 1995 production and I think it was a heartbreaker for them. Didn't they move the production from Goodspeed based on strong reviews, only to get slaughtered on Broadway.... by some of those same critics? Or at least the same papers.

Not the first (or last) time this has happened, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 581August 15, 2020 12:54 AM

Lea Salonga has played both Eponine and Fantine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582August 15, 2020 1:03 AM

Lea played Eponine in the 10th anniversary concert of LES MIZ. I've seen several versions of the show and the movie, and she was my favorite Eponine, by far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583August 15, 2020 1:08 AM

I also liked Samantha Barks in the movie. She was a standout in a deeply flawed version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584August 15, 2020 1:10 AM

Frances Ruffelle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585August 15, 2020 1:12 AM

Linzi "CARRIE" Hateley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586August 15, 2020 1:13 AM

Last one...

Miley Cyrus (audition for the movie version)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587August 15, 2020 1:15 AM

What's the point of getting someone to sing without music for an audition?

by Anonymousreply 588August 15, 2020 1:25 AM

[quote]What's the point of getting someone to sing without music for an audition?

It's easier to hear when they go off-key. It's also why casting people ask for ballads (it's easier to cover being off-key in an uptempo song).

by Anonymousreply 589August 15, 2020 1:28 AM

To go off-key don't you have to be on-key to start with?

by Anonymousreply 590August 15, 2020 1:30 AM

I really liked Block in The Mystery of Drood and she seems very kind. I think this may just be a case of her voice or her presence in interviews or maybe her face or something not clicking and making people drool over her as if she's a big star. I've never seen her do anything that would be anything less than professional or gracious.

Chenoweth has a sweetness and purity and operatic strength to her voice that is utterly charming, and Menzel has a kind of longing quality that makes her very relatable as a performer. I definitely think of Block as a powerhouse and I know she's a good actress from seeing her transform into someone mousy and insecure in 9 to 5. But I think she just comes off stronger in some way that overshadows her talent perhaps. She's like a schoolteacher who would hold you accountable. It may be a sort of toughness that keeps her from winning people over the way some of the other leading ladies do. But then again, I think her career speaks for itself. She's done an excellent job headlining shows and definitely has the pipes.

by Anonymousreply 591August 15, 2020 1:42 AM

Lea Salonga was also the singing voice of Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592August 15, 2020 1:43 AM

Judy Kuhn was the singing voice of Pocahontas.

by Anonymousreply 593August 15, 2020 1:45 AM

Donna Murphy was the singing voice of the witch in Into The Woods

by Anonymousreply 594August 15, 2020 1:50 AM

R532 I think it's coming towards the end of the year as Netflix wants it to be an awards contender.

by Anonymousreply 595August 15, 2020 1:53 AM

Glenn Close was the voice of the litter box in Cats.

by Anonymousreply 596August 15, 2020 1:53 AM

The Dick Cavett Show was great. At one point Ginger told a story how she pissed off the woman playing Vera when she did MAME in London. Ruby was only on for a bit as she had to get to a Nanette performance. Leonard Frey was so funny and charming. He was just coming off the closing of Lolita, My Love.

by Anonymousreply 597August 15, 2020 1:54 AM

THIRD MIDNIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 598August 15, 2020 2:05 AM

Margaret Courtenay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599August 15, 2020 2:07 AM

Courtenay must have suddenly become a rather improbably Vera once Juliet Prowse joined the company...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 15, 2020 2:12 AM

who dares to start a new thread?

by Anonymousreply 601August 15, 2020 2:13 AM

[quote]Ruby was only on for a bit as she had to get to a Nanette performance.

I always thought it was interesting in the old talk shows how other guests stayed on stage when new guests came out. It seemed to show respect.

by Anonymousreply 602August 15, 2020 2:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!