Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Disney thinks you will pay 30 dollars to rent Mulan

They are caving from a theatrical release and putting it on Disney+. But even if you subscribe you need to cough up 30 bucks to watch it.

What? Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 9, 2020 2:53 AM

They need to reduce the price! People are not even in the mood for a movie about China right now. Disney or no Disney.

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 1:14 AM

It's just such pure greed. They are releasing it under their own platform. Don't have pay for a theatrical release, don't have to split profits with Amazon/iTunes. But still charge their own subscribers 30 bucks to rent a movie.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 1:18 AM

Let's not rush to judgement. I think you should as I have stock in the company and think it is a great idea!

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 1:21 AM

Does it come with poo-poo platter and egg roll?

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 1:23 AM

I guess if the studios are getting away with charging $20 for digital downloads of recent theatrical releases, they think they can hike it up $10 for an online premiere. Only...in case Disney hasn't noticed, we are in the middle of the worst global recession in modern history. And we're talking about a live action version of Mulan. MULAN. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 1:25 AM

It will be available for free on torrent sites like 5 minutes after premiering on Disney+, so you'd have to be mildly retarded to pay a sum like that for it.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 1:25 AM

Lmao. I’m sure the studio execs are so fucking angry they won’t get that theatrical release. This will probably bring in 1/100 of the forecasted pre-COVID sales.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 1:27 AM

They can come out ahead with a fraction of the sales r7. Profit is revenue minus expenses. Releasing it under their own platform cuts out expenses.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 1:31 AM

Wait, this is to only rent it and see it once? That’s crazy, at least let people own it for that much.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 1:41 AM

I’m a little bit out of the loop... Is this a live show like “Hamilton” or a live action movie of the animated movie?

Fuck Disney and their immature formulaic pablum. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 1:43 AM

The only thing I liked about the animated original were the songs and the animation. This one takes away all the magic.

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 1:44 AM

Oh, and they’ll GET THEIR $30, because people are fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 1:44 AM

This is a live action remake of the animated movie r10.

But it's quite different. Not a musical, there are no songs.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 1:45 AM

Did Mulan use magic to get ahead, I thought it was just about cross dressing?

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 1:45 AM

i won't watch this, but my partner and i would watch a $30 movie if it was interesting enough. after the cost of tickets at a theater plus the extortionate popcorn and soda, we'd be about break-even. except we would not get covid or murdered in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 1:47 AM

Don’t forget about getting surprise bedbugs from the seats, R15 ❤️

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 1:49 AM

If this is a success, watch Netflix start experimenting with charging people extra money to see certain movies.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 1:49 AM

Sigh, still waiting for “A Quiet Place 2” with Cillian Murphy and the new “Candyman” film. I would pay $$ for them.

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 1:52 AM

If Disney is so deep in bed with LMM why aren’t they doing this with In the Heights?

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 1:55 AM

Don't be silly r9. They want you to have to guve them money again a few month later to own it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 2:21 AM

I ain’t paying no $30 for liberal elite Pedophiles at Disney to let some ricehead try to Trans my little Caytlyn!! No way!

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 2:43 AM

A sequel is in the works called Mulan Rouge, voiced by Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 5:04 AM

Ha, r22.

You’d have to pay me to watch any Disney movie. I’m not 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 5:08 AM

America isn’t enamored with china right now. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 5:11 AM

Thank God ( or Thanos ) this pandemic happened this year not in 2019 when Avengers : Endgame was released. Cant imagine the most expensive film ever made and epilogue of a most successful saga in cinematic history reduced into mere streaming.

And yes few people care for Mulan since its not even the usual Disney "family" movie targeted for fat fraus and their kids. In fact I believe this film is made with focus on Chinese market. With their country now struggling with their own second wave it is a practical decision by Disney to just streamed this trainwreck and get over it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 6:50 AM

Well, a DataLounge thread spoiled the Endgame deaths for me on the Wed before I saw it that Thursday. So a pandemic wouldn’t have been too bad, TBH.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 7:17 AM

If this flops hard--which it seems destined to do--I wonder if they'll go forward with the 'Crazy Rich Asians' sequel. Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 7:29 AM

Why don't they just postpone the release until next year? This is stupid. They are already undermining their own subscribers. What did that take, like five months? There's so much free stuff to watch.

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 7:46 AM

Disney needs to get that mouse on a psychiatrists' couch. Unless a movie features Lukas Ridgeston returning to work in front of the camera, I'm not paying $30 to OWN it, nevermind rent it for a single viewing.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 8:07 AM

Isn't it Constance Wu now is a certified batshit crazy like a Chinese version of Natalie Portman?

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 9:34 AM

$30! Disney are out of their minds. They're dreamin...

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 10:08 AM

(R5) It's Pu Pu platter

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 10:13 AM

Why don't they just release it when the pandemic is over?

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 10:19 AM

I'd probably pay that for a Mandalorian Season Special (even if it's available a few minutes later for free on torrent sites), but not for something like Mulan.

I quite enjoy Disney+++ Zenimation which is just ambience clips of their animated features.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 10:24 AM

Do what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 10:43 AM

Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 10:49 AM

They needed to recover the money that they lost when their parks were closed .

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 10:52 AM

Mooron.

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2020 1:37 AM

If you're a family with two kids, $30 is cheaper than taking everyone to the movie - not to mention the cost of concessions.

They are likely testing to see what the market will bear after having done some market research to get an initial price point.

The interesting question is whether this will lead to a rise the price of digital purchases later. $20 has been the going price for a while, but I can't imagine that staying so low if the first run is $30 for single use.

by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2020 1:40 AM

[quote]Well, a DataLounge thread spoiled the Endgame deaths for me on the Wed before I saw it that Thursday. So a pandemic wouldn’t have been too bad, TBH.

You were an idiot to read a thread before you saw the movie.

by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2020 1:42 AM

Ho Lee Fuk!

Talk about a Bang Ding Ow to your wallet!

by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2020 1:54 AM

I'm in no rush, I have cable, AMAZON PRIME, HBO, HERE TV and lots of books and streaming music. I can wait to watch MULAN.

by Anonymousreply 42September 9, 2020 2:47 AM

If you don't know how to watch something for free on the internet by this point in time, you're hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 43September 9, 2020 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!