Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

There's a Snake in my Garage.

It's a harmless grass snake.

When I drive into my garage or open the walk-in door to get to my car it hurriedly hides behind stuff I store in there, you know, out door Christmas ornaments, lawn-care implements, boxes...

A couple of times, It took a ride on the garage door when I use my door opener. I thought it was paper hanging down. Then it moved.

But, it's not paying me rent.

How do I evict it? How would you evict it?

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 3:17 AM

I fully admit a not so comfortable feeling when it comes to snakes, but in the last year, I've removed two from my partner's place. I took plastic shopping bags, picked them up, and flung them out toward the edge of his property. They were not very fast, to my surprise, and fairly easy to "bag".

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 11:49 PM

Aww, they're cute little creatures. I'd be honored if one took up living in my garage. My brother lives in an old Civil War era farmhouse, and he finds black racers all over his house, and comes across their shed skins when he brings his Christmas decorations down from the attic.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

Snakes eat insects and rodents. Get rid of the snakes, expect mice or worse.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

Thanks all.

I picked it up with a two and 1/2 foot plastic tweezers and flung it in the wooded lot next door and it came back. I know I have small rodents in my garage and insects, too , so, apparently, my garage is cafeteria central.

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 12:15 AM

Send in a hungry python, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 12:25 AM

Must you guys fling these snakes?

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 12:26 AM

R2 I wouldn't ever kill one, unless I was r-e-a-l-l-y hungry. I can't imagine I'd ever be in that position, but I love you that you have affection for them. I feel warm feelings for the mice in my garden. I find them loveable.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 12:29 AM

Ok, Ok. r6.

If I catch it again, I'll gently release it on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 12:29 AM

R6 I did it somewhat gently. They didn't want to leave the bags, and I was bored of it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 12:30 AM

What r3 said.

If you don’t want them in the garage, mothball the place.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 12:32 AM

Paging Daniel Boon

Remember him, long time DLers?

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 12:33 AM

Did you actually witness it slithering back, R4, or did you simply spot another snake in the garage that you mistook for the first one?

You can't get rid of the snakes until you first deal with the reason they're there - bugs and other vermin. Clean and sanitize your garage.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 12:33 AM

You seem much more together than the nelly guy who hid in his gazebo because raccoons were panhandling at his backdoor.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote] Did you actually witness it slithering back, [R4], or did you simply spot another snake in the garage that you mistook for the first one?

That's more probable.

Damn, I'm a lazy cuss. I hate the thought of pulling everything outta the, garage, sweeping, sealing and putting everything back.

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 12:36 AM

lol,r13

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 12:37 AM

Hire a snake charmer to lure it outside.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 12:38 AM

R13 I concur! He ought to see James Blackwood's YouTube channel "The Raccoon Whisperer".

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 12:39 AM

Picture, OP? Not because I don't believe you, I'd just love to see it. Lizards are my real passion but I can appreciate a handsome snake, there are some stunning scale patterns and colors. Though American snakes tend to be bland -- yours is probably a gopher snake, just brown or dark grey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 12:52 AM

R18 That one is pretty cool looking, with that colouring. I still think mice are cuter.

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 12:57 AM

No, r18, I don't have a pic. It's pretty fast and eager to get away from me.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 12:58 AM

You're braver than most. It must like you. Green snakes are harmless and non-aggressive and eat mice and insects. Seal the holes where they're ALL getting in. I love snakes, but not in my house.

Though symbolically, green snakes are a healing snake. Asclepius learned about the healing power of herbs from a snake. That's why it's featured as a symbol on ambulances and pharmacies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 1:15 AM

Hit it with a shovel.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 1:29 AM

if I was guilted into not killing anymore moths that get in my house, you guys have to be nicer to the snakes. they're helping you!

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 1:31 AM

Snakes are vile creatures. Any one who likes or pets snakes are not "normal"

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 1:38 AM

Why are they "vile", R24? Surely you don't believe the biblical stories? All things are Buddha things!

R19, I agree that mice are "cuter" than snakes. In fact, snakes aren't "cute" at all -- more in the nature of "majestic" or "hypnotic".

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 1:42 AM

My Mom was an animal lover, but she always disliked snakes, and it upset me that she'd yell for my Dad to get a shovel to kill them whenever she'd see one. One day, there was a little garter snake sitting on a rock in the rock garden, and I asked my Mom to come outside to see it (without telling her what we were going to see). She froze when she saw it, and I started pointing out its tiny tongue flitting about, and how little it was, and she ended up speaking baby talk to it; "Hi, there, little sneaky snake! We won't bother you. Be careful, Mr Snake, 'cause some folks don't like you." She loved snakes from there on out, and would lecture our neighbors to leave them alone.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 1:45 AM

I like snakes but I’m American, I don’t know if I’d feel the same way if I was Australian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 1:48 AM

How do you feel about frogs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 1:49 AM

Go watch a few YouTube videos of Viperkeeper. Once you witness him feeding deadly black mambas and forest cobras, a garter snake will seem like a kitten.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 1:51 AM

There's a snake in my garage.

There's a "snake" in my garage.

There's a snake in my "garage".

There's a "snake" in my "garage".

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 1:52 AM

I can handle mice, rats, bugs, what-the-fuck-ever . . . but I can't deal with snakes, even those that I know aren't venomous. Given that I live on the sixteenth floor of a high rise condominium I doubt I'll ever have to. There's something about snakes that gives me claustrophobia or the sensation of being held down. As a kid I would freak out if my older brother held me down and I couldn't move my arms and legs. There's something about the fact that snakes have neither arms nor legs that just totally panics me.

R29, If I were Viperkeeper's neighbor I'd have no choice but to move. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing all those venomous snakes were next door just waiting to slither into my house.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 1:55 AM

R23 You can easily catch (or rescue) the moths with plastic bags... I've been doing it for years after living with a Shinto-Buddhist Japanese flatmate. Those evil plastic bags have so many valuable reusable options!

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 1:55 AM

Mothballs do not work, r10.

I had an 8' long rat snake in my garage and tried putting mothballs in there to keep him out. Never worked.

Yes, that fucker was EIGHT FEET LONG. I saw him in the yard several times. Watched the neighbor's cat watching him. Cat took off like a rocket when slithers uncoiled and started moving across the yard.

This thing was on the other neighbor's roof one spring hanging down near the door when they came home from the grocery. I would have screamed the bloody murder had it been on my house, I can tell you.

I had some people come out and try to trap him but all they got was some piddly 3' crossbreed black snake and what looked like a copperhead. (Shiver).

Haven't seen slithers since I had the garage repaired and new concrete poured. But I'm paranoid AF and set those sticky traps and mousetraps. I also got a cat.

I'd rather have a cat than a snake.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 1:58 AM

r32, I just do like I do with wasps/bees and grab a silicone cutting board and chinese takeout soup container. I am not opposed to moths per say, i had just never really thought about it. nothing will stop me from killing spiders (obtrusively in my house. if they stay small and discreet I ignore them) or flies of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 2:00 AM

Do you have a cat? He or she will kill the snake within minutes.

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 3:00 AM

What about a mongoose?

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 3:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!