Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Throw away your onions -- they're being recalled over salmonella

The FDA says you probably need to chuck your onions in the bin. A recall of the delicious tear-inducing vegetable is happening over a "multistate outbreak of Salmonella Newport infections."

The FDA has tracked the outbreak back to Thomson International, Inc. in California, but if you're like me, the onions in your kitchen don't have a label on them. In that case, the FDA says you should throw them out. "If you cannot tell if your onion is part of the recall, or your food product contains recalled onions, you should not eat, sell, or serve it, and should throw it out," the FDA says in its announcement.

The initial recall was on red onions, which are believed to be the source of the problem. However, the recall has expanded to include red, yellow, white, and sweet yellow onions due to the potential for cross-contamination. Currently, the CDC is reporting cases of Salmonella in 34 states with 396 reported illnesses and 59 hospitalizations.

The name of the company may not be familiar, but the products have been distributed in all 50 states and Canada, where there is also a recall. Anything from Thomson shipped since May 1, 2020, is part of the recall.

"The onions were distributed... under the brand names Thomson Premium, TLC Thomson International, Tender Loving Care, El Competitor, Hartley’s Best, Onions 52, Majestic, Imperial Fresh, Kroger, Utah Onions, and Food Lion," the recall states. You can find a list of label images in the FDA recall. There are a whole lot of varieties of the recalled packaging.

So, check the kitchen and don't risk it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 6:10 PM

I got a phone call Sunday night from the store where I'd bought my red onions, telling me to toss them rather than eat them. I'd already used a small amount of one to make guacamole, to no ill effect, but I threw out the rest. I can call in for a refund (3 were ~$4.50).

I ended up making the chili I'd bought the onions for with carrots, mushrooms, and green peppers. And a lot of garlic. I ate it on top of a baked potato and covered it with sour cream, and had a side of coleslaw. It was absolutely delicious.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 6:44 PM

There goes my onion tart plan.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 7:01 PM

Does that include the onion tied to my belt?

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 7:03 PM

Salmonella is for pussies. I'm not worried.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 7:07 PM

I just checked mine -- they're still in the bag with the label. From Dalena Farms, Madera, CA. Not on the list, so hopefully I'm safe. (These came from Aldi in CA, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 7:56 PM

No, I won't go back to the New York Times

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 8:01 PM

r3

No one on this site but me, is clever enough to get that.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 8:01 PM

It was the style at the time, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 8:03 PM

Whole Foods Organic onions are safe, as are Perri Bros. Organic

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 8:20 PM

I wanted to buy Red Onions today but because of the recall I bought yellow to be safe and now they are included. The label on the onions says they are from a company called HoneySweet which is not on the recall list, so I will probably take my chances with them. Just think of all the weight I will lose if I get salmonella.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 8:22 PM

R10 The store can tell you if they're from Thomson International. Whole Foods says none of theirs come from Thomson. Any store should know their suppliers.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 8:43 PM

Peasants! I get my onions from my organic onion farm in Poland!

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 8:44 PM

How can onions have salmonella?

Is there a chicken farm nearby or something?

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 9:08 PM

But if you cook the onions on high heat, doesn't that kill the bacteria?

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 9:12 PM

In my country, we use onions as deodorant. Uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 9:14 PM

R14

Yes, but occasionally people eat onions raw. There's also the possibility of cross-contamination if, for example, you chop an onion before handling other raw vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]I got a phone call Sunday night from the store where I'd bought my red onions

It said, "The salmonella is coming form INSIDE THE HOUSE!"

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 10:25 PM

R17, lol.

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 2:45 AM

Thank god my scallions are safe

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 5:46 AM

I've eaten half of a red onion in a big salad I made a couple days ago, and I feel great. I'm not throwing away the rest of the salad, I'm gonna finish it tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 5:59 AM

No one can separate me from my red onions at the height of summer.

I've probably consumed two large onions in the last few weeks because of chopped salads and such. I have another red onion in the fridge I'm planning to pickle to mix up my salad toppings.

Come get me, salmonella! I refuse to live in fear!!

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 6:28 AM

You make salad ahead of time? That's worse than salmonella.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 6:42 AM

I use a ton of red onion — I use it in chicken salad, tuna salad, and garden salad. It is probably my favorite vegetable. I just ran out the other day and then forgot to get it when I was at the store... looks like that was a stroke of luck.

I’ll temporarily substitute celery for onion, I guess...

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 6:42 AM

How come there's no tunanella? Hmmm. How come?

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 7:06 AM

i really wanted to use my red onion on my black bean burger, but i threw it out. I've always hated sweet onions

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 8:43 AM

I buy Texas sweet onions. They's like Vidalia onions, only bigger.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 8:56 AM

Thank you, small government lovers. Fewer FDA inspectors, more outbreaks.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 9:07 AM

What if I caramelize my onions down to a sweet, sticky fraction of their former volume?

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 9:11 AM

Gee if there were only way to just... peel away the contaminated layer. Or wash them in some sort of liquid before peeling them. Wouldn’t that be great? It’s too Bad heat doesn’t destroy bacteria.

Oh well. A girl can dream...

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 9:39 AM

"How come there's no tunanella?"

And why come there's no tunanutella?

The sweet fresh taste of canned tuna with hazelnuts, cheap ass chocolate, and hydrogenated oil!

Mmm, mmm. Them's mighty good eats on a chicken foot, chicken gizzard, pretty much any part of the chicken your kids won't eat cause they're all fancy now with their McNuggets and such.

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 10:00 AM

american greatness.

our food supply is compromised.

the lettuce hasnt been safe to eat for years.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 10:05 AM

Has anyone else been having a hard time finding red onions this summer? Every time I go to the grocery store there's only a few red onions left and they're usually rotted. Plenty of white and yellow onions, but no red onions.

Why is there a red onion shortage?

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 4:11 PM

R32, I did not experience any red onion shortages, but during the earlier pandemic hoarding, I could not find garlic!

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!