Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cutting the Cord: Hulu +? YouTubeTV? Philo? Something Else?

My condo board, after many years, has decided to stop providing expanded basic cable through our HOA fees. Something about the bulk package getting too expensive. In exchange, we are getting higher speed internet. I have had the luxury of paying less than $60 for every channel Comcast/Xfinity provides (except Cinemax, which I never cared about anyways.) I just checked, and to maintain my current programming, it will cost well over $200.

I've decided to switch over to a streaming service. This will make my Tivo (yeah, I know, I'm old...but I love the old girl) unnecessary. This leaves me with around an $80 budget for TV. I also just cancelled Apple TV and CBS All Access ($15 a month total) from a lack of use, so that gives me a little wiggle room.

The main contenders right now are Hulu+ and YouTubeTV. Hulu is a little cheaper, but I'll need the expanded DVR (9.99 extra) and there is no access to VH1 (which I require) YouTubeTV has VH1, but no Lifetime (shut up, I like it.) It's also more expensive, but includes an unlimited DVR. Unfortunately, the DVR only allows one to keep programs for a specific amount of time (9 months?)

Philo is much cheaper, but includes no local channels.

Anyone else gone this route? Experiences? Advice? Ideas?

And please fuck the whole way off if you are planning on telling me not to watch TV.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 8:15 PM

We decided to go with Philo. Our local TV reception isn't great but the one local channel we watch comes in, so we are OK.

My partner misses news channels, but he found something online where he can watch MSNBC and CNN on his laptop. And Apple TV (not Apple+ the service, but Apple TV the platform) has a CBC app, and we've been enjoying CBC and BBC news, so much better.

Philo worked because 90 percent of what we watch at any time is HGTV/DIY or Animal Planet. We also have HBO. At some point when The Crown and Grace & Frankie come back, I'll sign back up for Netflix for a while. At $20/month it means you can sign up for a lot of other things. But if you want all or most local channels and a robust DVR Hulu+ may be for you.

We had Hulu+ before and it was solid, though the menu is very confusing. I did not care for YouTubeTV, but your mileage may vary.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 6:33 PM

There is also Sling OP. I don't know if it has the channels you are interested in, but its another option.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 6:40 PM

Do you get good reception with streaming?

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]Cutting the Cord: Hulu +? YouTubeTV? Philo? Something Else?

Try reading a book, the library is free, you know.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote]Do you get good reception with streaming?

It depends on how fast your internet speed is.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 8:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!