Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Books Are You Reading in 2020 Part 2

Last thread was closed out without a link to Part 2. Yes, I searched--didn't find Part 2. If there is already an active Part 2, happy to ignore this one. If not, nerd out here on books you are reading.

by Anonymousreply 152Last Saturday at 8:10 AM

Link to Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108/04/2020

Haven't read a book since 12th grade, I might just pick up till the end of the year. I think Twilight breaking dawn is good start for a beginner like me. And please don't shade me! I'm only 23!

by Anonymousreply 208/04/2020

To repeat someone else's question from Part 1 of this thread: Has anyone read Margaret Atwood's latest book, The Testaments?

by Anonymousreply 308/04/2020

R3 There are division of oppinions about The testaments. Most people think it's a solid novel, but being the second part of a cult classic (well i suppose it was a cult classic now it's more a mainstream bestseller) it's not easy.

I have the novel but i didn't read it yet (i lent the book to a coworker and she liked it a lot).

It's curious that Atwood won the Booker with two of her most divisive novels. I loved The blind assassin but i totally get that it's not for everyone.

For me the weakest winner of the Booker is recent years is The sellout. Some parts are brilliant and hilarious but the whole novel is uneven and sometimes it feels like a very long joke (not that it's a bad novel anyway)

by Anonymousreply 408/04/2020

I'm ending Train dreams and i don't understand why it didn't won the Pulitzer, is better than some of the recent winners.

Now i'm going to read the third of the Elena Ferrante series. I read the first out of curiosity, and well, i find it ok but that cliffhanger made me read the second, and finally get into the lives of those two annoying women. And now i want more

by Anonymousreply 508/04/2020

R5, I felt the same way after reading the first two books. What a wonderful series, can't wait to start the 3rd. Halfway through the third I gave up. I couldn't stand the two frenemies any longer.

by Anonymousreply 608/04/2020

Just listing the one's I'd recommend:

In Hoffa's Shadow by Jack Goldsmith The Enlightenment and Why It Still Matters by Anthony Pagden The Longing for Myth in Germany by George S. Williamson American Heiress by Jeffrey Toobin Romantics, Rebels, and Reactionaries by Marilyn Butler Human Errors by Nathan Lents Bind Us Apart by Nicholas Guyatt

by Anonymousreply 708/04/2020

In Hoffa's Shadow by Jack Goldsmith

The Enlightenment and Why It Still Matters by Anthony Pagden

The Longing for Myth in Germany by George S. Williamson

American Heiress by Jeffrey Toobin

Romantics, Rebels, and Reactionaries by Marilyn Butler

Human Errors by Nathan Lents

Bind Us Apart by Nicholas Guyatt

by Anonymousreply 808/04/2020

Oops, forgot another good one:

Culture and Anarchy in Ireland, 1890-1939 by F. S. L. Lyons

by Anonymousreply 908/04/2020

Someone said that Margaret Atwood won a Booker for writing a sequel to a Hulu series. Made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 1008/04/2020

It was him.

This year he didn't post a video about the booker (he did for three years and they were very funny)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1108/05/2020

Tony Parsons's Max Wolfe series

Joseph Knox's Aidan Waits series

Natsu Miyashita, The Forest of Wool and Steel

by Anonymousreply 1208/05/2020

Right now, I am reading “Little Men” (1871) by Louisa May Alcott. I read “Little Women” (1868-1869) a few months ago and have been intending to read the two sequels. I’m enjoying “Little Men” so far.

by Anonymousreply 1308/05/2020

r11, yes! mementomori is his Booktube handle. Seems to be a genuine asshole, but he can be funny. His endless "live" postings are studies in narcissism, and he seems to have alienated a fair number of booktubers.

by Anonymousreply 1408/05/2020

R14 Yes, he is mean to poor Karl Eric Anderson who is a lovely person, but the videos are funny.

I remember when he said Gays without end instead of days without end, the published was pissed for sure. Sebastian Barry gave them a lot of work trying to promote a gay love story without mention the two main characters were nothing more than brothers in arms.

I think there must be a good amount of envy between booktubers, some of them have some recognition (and are invited to awards or even cited in reviews).

Of course is very rare to find bad reviews because they receive the books for free and that comes to a cost

by Anonymousreply 1508/05/2020

LA Despair

by Anonymousreply 1608/05/2020

R13 - I thought the Louisa May Alcott sequel book to "Little Women" was titled "Jo's Boys".

by Anonymousreply 1708/05/2020

Calling out the bastard who closed out Part 1 without providing a link to Part 2. What were you thinking?

by Anonymousreply 1808/05/2020

R18 it was really ridiculous, there were more than 20 post to the 600 in a thread that it's not exactly a Chalamet or Richard Madden thread (there are a few post every day and that's on a good day) and he killed it the thread without providing a link for the part 2. It was absurd.

I'm thinking on reading Colin Barrett's Young skins next

by Anonymousreply 1908/05/2020

Hi R17! After publishing “Little Women,” Louisa May Alcott went on to write two sequels, “Little Men” (1871) and “Jo’s Boys” (1886).

by Anonymousreply 2008/05/2020

Strange English syntax in these book threads. Many books are purchased using Amazon.

Check your Amazon, et al. order histories for mysterious purchases and, as always, use caution when opening links. Follow the breadcrumbs to a logical presumption:

(Amazon, Whole Foods, Washington Post = Jeff Bezos. Jeff Bezos = Orange It's imaginary arch enemy)

by Anonymousreply 2108/05/2020

Adam from mementomori seems to have pissed off Steve Donoghue for some reason. Rivalry between the gays? Or is every booktuber gay?

by Anonymousreply 2208/05/2020

Whoever mentioned Barbara Pym in the last thread, I love her. *applause*

What's the deal on Sally Rooney? Worth reading? Someone splain pls.

by Anonymousreply 2308/05/2020

I've read a few things this summer, more than usual.

I really loved The Daughters of Erietown by Connie Schultz. A bit of a potboiler, but instead of a Danielle Steel beach read, it's a story of a working class family. Can just see this one being made into a movie!

Reading Another Planet by Tracey Thorn (formerly of Everything But the Girl) - she and her husband and EBTG bandmate Ben Watt have written some very good memoirs/books.

Hmm, what else? Also read Becoming Duchess Goldblatt, which was sad and lovely. (The Duchess is a fun, wry, comic persona - a fictional one - on Twitter, mostly followed by writers, book nerds and artsy types.)

by Anonymousreply 2408/05/2020

These are the next three on my nightstand:

The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue- Mackenzi Lee

Where the Crawdad Sings- Delia Owens

Utopia Avenue-David Mitchell

R24 I LOVE Ben and Tracey! Both great writers, especially Tracey.

by Anonymousreply 2508/05/2020

r18, the person who killed "What Books Are You Reading in 2020 Part 1" without providing a link is not the same person who started this thread. Just so you know.

The threadkiller started posting, yesterday or the day before, in an earlier 2020 Part Two thread someone started in March (why someone would have started it in March remains a mystery). Threadkiller claimed he killed the thread because he was sick of looking at the stupid gif (a sentiment with which I completely agree, but to which my solution is to keep link previews turned off).

by Anonymousreply 2608/05/2020

R25 yes! I have always loved their music (together and solo) but I was surprised at what good writers they are - Tracey in particular.

by Anonymousreply 2708/05/2020

I just took out The Deviant's War from the library. (Thank the baby jeebus for eBooks)

by Anonymousreply 2808/05/2020

I didn't finish reading The Deviant's War. I got through the Kameny bio, but didn't want to stay for Sylmarstroika.

by Anonymousreply 2908/05/2020

I looked briefly at some reviews and feedback for Deviant's War and some of the readers were not pleased, I guess, with the focus on Kameny.

*shrugs* Have no opinion yet but wanted to read at least the beginnings of it. I also want to find the book quoted at the beginning, the one where the sociologist studies cruising.

by Anonymousreply 3008/05/2020

R22 I don't know if all, but a lot of booktubers are gay.

R26 I think the thread was started in March because we used the old one (the last of 2019) to post at the beginning of the year

by Anonymousreply 3108/06/2020

I have a request that may be a bit odd and if so I can start a different thread for it.

But I am looking for recommendations of good biographies or good novels, esp. gay themed novels, that are a bit older than new - say 2016-2018 or 19.

I am borrowing things from the library and of course all the new stuff and perennially popular stuff (eg Little Fires Everywhere) are never available. Looking for something good that may be a bit more of a backtitle to borrow.

by Anonymousreply 3208/06/2020

r32, I recommend the novels of Alan Hollinghurst, Edmund White, and Louis Bayard. Also love AT SWIM TWO BOYS by Jamie O'Neill. Try Peter Cameron, too, and Christopher Bram (GODS AND MONSTERS is great). And Andrew Holleran is superb. There are excellent bios of Harvey Milk, Oscar Wilde, and Tennessee Williams, memoirs by Mark Doty and J.R. Ackerly. So many to choose from! Happy hunting!

by Anonymousreply 3308/06/2020

R33 I love your suggestions but I've read most of those fiction titles! I see a few unfamiliar names, though. And will definitely look at the bios.

When I first found good gay fiction in the 90s I went through all the Bram books; still have my copy of Hold Tight around. At Swim Two Boys was lovely, but sad (like The God In Flight).

by Anonymousreply 3408/06/2020

I was thinking the same, Hollinghurst is probably the gay novelist that first comes to mind, maybe because that booker for The line of beauty was not only a recognition to himself but made gay themes mainstream and made perfectly ok for straights to read a novel with a gay theme (because it's literature).

And talking about the Booker this is probably the queerest year ever, i didn't read the resumes of all novels, but one has a lesbian couple as protagonist and two have main gay characters

At swim two boys is amazing

by Anonymousreply 3508/06/2020

If you're looking for something light, funny and farcical, try Blue Heaven by Joe Keenan (who also wrote most of the best episodes of Frasier).

And now I want to read At Swim Two Boys again (again; it gets better each time).

by Anonymousreply 3608/06/2020

R36 Read that too : ) His other Philip and Gilbert books are good too, though the last one is a bit dog eared. Keenan definitely does farce wonderfully.

I want to read that Briefly Gorgeous book but again, that will be one with a long waitlist at the library.

by Anonymousreply 3708/06/2020

Have you read Bayard's COURTING MR. LINCOLN? Terrific.

by Anonymousreply 3808/07/2020

R38 Thank you! I am adding that to my list.

by Anonymousreply 3908/07/2020

Currently: "The Narrow Corridor" by Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson (very insightful!) After this, I plan to get a hold of a copy of Anne Applebaum's "Twilight of Democracy." And then read the copy of "Confessions" by Leo Tolstoy that I borrowed and has been collecting dust on our livinf room table these past few months.

I would totally appreciate it if any politics junkie suggests a book or two.

by Anonymousreply 4008/07/2020

Peter Cameron's new book, What Happens at Night, has great blurbs from Ed White ("a masterpiece)", Michael Cunningham, Garth Greenwell, and others and some excellent early reviews. Has anyone read it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4108/07/2020

Currently a little over halfway through the novel "Lost Children Archive" by Valeria Luiselli which I really thought I'd like given all the good reviews it got (NYT Ten Best of the Year, etc). I am committed to finishing it but it's a total slog. The author is clearly very smart but it seems too wrapped up in its own cleverness and form at the expense of fleshed-out characters, any sort of plot, interesting set pieces ... I do not recommend.

Before that was "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray which was great -- 600-page novel from 2010 about an all-boys prep school in Ireland. Energetic prose, lovable characters, eventful plot ... a good summer stem-winder.

by Anonymousreply 4208/07/2020

R41 I loved Some day this pain will be useful to you but i totally hated Coral Glynn, so he is an author i don't know what to do with him.

I read some readers review of Find me, and i don't understand Aciman. Most people think the novel is ok, but did he really thought that Elio's father being the center of the novel was what his fans really wanted?

by Anonymousreply 4308/07/2020

"Find Me" by André Aciman. Only the parts about Oliver and Elio. Brings a little closure.

by Anonymousreply 4408/07/2020

The Prettiest Star by Carter Sickels. A wonderful story that captures perfectly the realities of going home to die from AIDS in small town America in the 1980s after living in NYC Seemed autobiographical - so real and true. I was shocked it was fiction written by a 30-something trans man. Testament to a great writeR.

At Swim, Two Boys - Jamie O’Neill was a piece of art. Think it was recommended in the other thread. Beautiful writing. Story of adolescent boys growing up, falling in love in Revolutionary Ireland early 20th century. Lots of Irish phrasing which requires some adjustment - but some beautiful poetic writing in a story about figuring out your gay, what sex is about - and what the world and life is about.

by Anonymousreply 4508/07/2020

I just finished The Friend by Sigrid Nunez. It was absolutely wonderful and has made me want to read her other work.

by Anonymousreply 4608/07/2020

R45 Sex scenes are usually pretty bad, and that includes some great writers, but the sex scene between the main characters when the swim to the shore is amazing.

R46 The friend is a great novel, but is worrying how she describes students who want to be writers as puritans ready to be offended

by Anonymousreply 4708/08/2020

Currently reading "War and Peace"; it's tried my patience at times and sections focusing on the young Natasha kind of drag because she has very little inner life beyond what a pretty young thing she is, but Napoleon is standing outside Moscow & shit is starting to get good.

Did you guys like "Normal People"? It's been all the rage this summer, but I've heard the book is kind of overrated. I only get an audible credit every other month so I want to use it well.

by Anonymousreply 4808/08/2020

I hate Normal people, there's nothing remarkable about that novel (not a surprise because Conversations with friends) Roony is probably the most overhyped young writer, and frankly there are dozens of better young writers.

Tolstoi is not for me, i read Anna Karenina, and even i appreciate that it's in fact a great novel, the truth is i didn't like it. And i didn't like some of his short stories either so probably i will never read War and peace

by Anonymousreply 4908/08/2020

Anna Karenina to me is a far superior novel to War and Peace. It has a better plot and more passion. The first 200 pp of War and Peace a very tough slog, it took me 3 tries to get through them. AK engages from page 1.

by Anonymousreply 5008/08/2020

Sally Rooney's novels would have been classified as "Young Adult" just 15 years ago. Quite astonishing that they're taken so seriously and praised so much by critics.

Here's some shade from fellow Irish novelist Sheila O'Flanagan ("I'm sure Sally Rooney will be a super writer when she's a bit older"):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5108/08/2020

I loved both Conversations with Friends and Normal People, and it’s not unexpected there would be jealousy of her success at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 5208/08/2020

R52 Nobody denies her success (even if was overhyped months before Conversations with friends was released), it's her writing skills what some people don't like.

And i'm a little tired of the childish "if you don't like him/her it's because you are jelous" (try to say something that's not praise on a Timothee Chalamet thread). No dear, some people just don't understand why someone like Rooney gets nominations to prestigious book awards when his novels are totally average at best.

And i extremely dislike her cheating. You can explain the behaviour of her main characters saying they suffered trauma, but she never explains what kind of trauma becuase you know, if you go there maybe that doesn't explain the narrative. It's a cheap trick, and she did it twice.

There are a lot of way better young writers than her

by Anonymousreply 5308/08/2020

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed War and Peace. It's largely a, for want of a better term, soap opera with social themes. There are maybe 20 major characters, and once you get them (and their myriad names and nicknames) sorted out it's not a difficult read. I found many of the battle scenes a slog, especially the earlier ones (battle maps would have helped; it's just hard, at least for me, to picture which army is where). But there are so many fantastic characters in the book. And one scene honestly made me laugh out loud (zealous young Nikolai "Nikolenka" Rostov, completely terrified by the death and bloodshed at his first battle, freaks out and hurls his gun at the advancing French and runs away).

But, agreed, Anna Karenina is the better novel.

by Anonymousreply 5408/08/2020

That's a lovely post R54, and a vivid scene with Rostov. There's also the love story of Pierre and Natasha (was it? I can't remember) that is reminiscent of Lev and Kitty from AK. Anyway you make me want to re-read it.

by Anonymousreply 5508/08/2020

Currently reading: Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell

Enjoying it so far. It's not up to Wolf Hall quality of literary-fan-fiction-about-a-famous-historical-person, but it's quite good. Shakespeare's wife and children are the POV characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5608/09/2020

R56, that’s next on my list. Now I’m reading The Day of the Locust. It’s quite a ride.

by Anonymousreply 5708/09/2020

People were dissapointed that Hammet didn't make the booker longlist. It seems it was the snub of this year's longlist

by Anonymousreply 5808/10/2020

R3 yes, I've read it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not a classic like the The Handmaid's Tale is though. I did see all the characters in my head as the characters from the TV series. I got the feeling Margaret Atwood might have done so as well when writing it...

by Anonymousreply 5908/10/2020

I ithink i'm going to try Enigma variations, it's been almost a decade since i read Call me by your name, and even i hated that novel, i really liked Aciman's writting, so maybe i should give him another try

by Anonymousreply 6008/11/2020

I never got all the way through CMBYN. I got to where they were traveling and lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 6108/11/2020

Reading the Edith Sitwell bio UNICORN AMONG LIONS. Superb.

by Anonymousreply 6208/12/2020

Thank you, r41, for the Peter Cameron recommendation. I've enjoyed all of his books, most recently [italic]Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You[/italic] .

by Anonymousreply 6308/12/2020

Peter Cameron HATES the fact that his most successful novel (Someday This Pain...) was published as YA.

by Anonymousreply 6408/12/2020

I liked Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell a lot! Also highly recommended reads from this summer -

- Passage to India by EM Forster - Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo (Booker) - Exposure by Helen Dunsmore - Cannery Row John Steinbeck - True Grot by Charles Portis

I’m currently reading Iris Murdoch’s first novel, Under The Net.

by Anonymousreply 6508/12/2020

R64 Well, at least that was not the case in Spain.

To be honest, for me it's the tone and the writing what makes the difference and not the theme of the novel, and Someday this pain will be useful to you is not YA with that criteria

by Anonymousreply 6608/12/2020

Does anyone remember a novel, possibly gay, possibly by Holleran, in which the protagonist drives someone around DC who is staying at the Army-Navy Club?

by Anonymousreply 6708/12/2020

Thomas Mallon writes about DC.

by Anonymousreply 6808/12/2020

Hmmm...maybe it was Mallon. Thanks, r68.

by Anonymousreply 6908/12/2020

Add me to those who love At Swim Two Boys

by Anonymousreply 7008/12/2020

R65 Read Under The Net freshman year in college (1976) in a 20th century Brit lit class. I loved it and return to it every few years. Obviously, Murdoch went on to write more philosophically “deep” and dense novels, but UTN remains my favorite of hers.

by Anonymousreply 7108/12/2020

Has anyone here read The Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann?

by Anonymousreply 7208/12/2020

Andrew Holleran's GRIEF is set in DC. It's a great book.

by Anonymousreply 7308/13/2020

Rereading Andrew Pyper's Lost Girls. Almost finished.

by Anonymousreply 7408/13/2020

Grief is one of those unknown books that was eye opening. Brief but insightful view of elder gay life. Like Single Man when I read it first - showed a life that wasn’t described in most descriptions of gay life - like in Faggots, or Dancer to the Dance. Not stunning but worthwhile.

More suggestions of books about elder gay life would be appreciated. Quentin Crisps diaries were also insightful - how to be a poor old gay man but still have a sense of adventure and enjoyment despite the hardships of growing up in a virulently homophobic world.

by Anonymousreply 7508/13/2020

If you like REALLY eldergay life, this is a book of diary entries from a gay man who lived in the Victorian era. I found it fascinating. He picked up soldiers who hustled for $$$

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7608/13/2020

I am still on Moby Dick

by Anonymousreply 7708/13/2020

I'm restarted The Mirror and The Light. I'm averaging about 10 pages before bed. At this pace, I should finish in the summer of 2021.

Need to get to be earlier so I can read more before I doze off.

by Anonymousreply 7808/13/2020

R78 A couple of months ago i was thinking on reading Life and fate but the idea of getting stuck on a novel for a month was a little too much for me.

By the way, it's there a single great russian writer who didn't suffered censorship or worse during the XX century. All of them seem to en in exhile, jail, banned or killed. It curious than almost all the most popular novels by russian writers were banned there

by Anonymousreply 7908/13/2020

I'm reading Zadie Smith's essay collection "Intimations."

I always knew of her and remember when she was huge when she published "White Teeth" but I've never read her before. One of those spur of the moment things - I heard her on NPR and ordered the book off Amazon that day. I figured why not.

by Anonymousreply 8008/13/2020

r75, you might look to the novels of Mark Merlis, especially AMERICAN STUDIES. He writes of more middle-aged men rather than "elder gays," but his books are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 8108/13/2020

Thanks R81

by Anonymousreply 8208/14/2020

The Sparsholt Affair by Andrew Hollinghurst and The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne track their protagonists lives over many years. While not specifically focused on eldergays, they might be of appeal R75.

Boyne’s Ladder to the Sky is my favorite recent gay themed novel.

by Anonymousreply 8308/14/2020

Loved hearts Invisible Furies and Ladder to the Sky. Anything by Boyce really. Sparsholt Affair was good - but a little too contrived.

by Anonymousreply 8408/14/2020

Alan Hollinghurst, r83, and I agree. :) Boyne's A TRAVELER AT THE GATES OF WISDOM was just published.

by Anonymousreply 8508/15/2020

fffff

by Anonymousreply 8608/16/2020

just about to start the 19th John Connelly book in the Charlie Parker series. great reads. 2 main characters are gay -- one black and one latino -- and love to goad Charlie about what he's missing by being straight. the later books in the series slip into Stephen King world. but the author is irish and a great story teller.

by Anonymousreply 8708/17/2020

I've started working on that series, R87. Well into book one, and loving it.

by Anonymousreply 8808/17/2020

please read them in order. they build one on the other. r88

by Anonymousreply 8908/17/2020

R89 Thanks for the info. That's what I figured, and that's what I'll do.

by Anonymousreply 9008/17/2020

AN HONEST MAN by Ben Fergusson. Gay relationship in 1989 Berlin. Very entertaining and moving.

by Anonymousreply 9108/20/2020

Percy Keese Fitzhugh wrote a series of Boy Scout books, mostly featuring a kid named Tom Slade.

by Anonymousreply 9208/20/2020

R91 I wrote to one spanish publisher asking them to translate that novel. I'm waiting for that one and for Swimming in the dark (but it could be a long wait, Christodora it was not translated yet)

by Anonymousreply 9308/21/2020

I'm reading Enigma variations and i think Aciman will do better if his novels were more plot driven than character driven.

Just put those love and sex stories in the middle of something else would help a lot

by Anonymousreply 9408/22/2020

R65, R75: I enjoyed Bernadine Evaristo's poignant novel of an older, Caribbean immigrant couple in London, "Mr. Loverman."

by Anonymousreply 9508/25/2020

Hope people haven't forgotten Peter Cameron, whose novels include The Weekend, Andorra, The City of Your Final Destination, etc. I'm reading his new novel What Happens at Night and it's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 9609/02/2020

just finished At Swim, 2 Boys. great read. but books like this should come with a warning label on the cover "THIS BOOK WILL TEAR YOU HEART OUT AND STOMP IT INTO THE GROUND"

by Anonymousreply 9709/02/2020

I just finished Mrs. Bridge by Evan Connell. It’s a novel that I think would be very appealing to many Dataloungers, about the wife of an attorney in Kansas City in the 1930s and early 1940s. She’s maddeningly conventional and obedient and she doesn’t see how several of the people around her pity her or just don’t understand her.

I’m planning to read Mr. Bridge as well, then watch the film with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

by Anonymousreply 9809/02/2020

I know, R97; I've read At Swim two, maybe three times, and it's just as powerful when you already know how it ends. I SO wish someone would spend a lot of money to make a faithful miniseries of it. Six or seven episodes ought to do it. Colin Farrell would have been perfect for Doyler waaaaay back in the day.

Speaking of re-reading, I just started Robert Hughes' The Fatal Shore, about the early convict history of Australia. I remember it being gripping, if gruesome at times.

by Anonymousreply 9909/02/2020

Another vote for AT SWIM as a modern classic. Anyone read his other novels? Really wish he was more prolific; he's only 58.

by Anonymousreply 10009/02/2020

I just finished What Happens at Night, R96. It took me a while to get past some of the book's more daunting plot elements, but soon enough I grew to love it.

by Anonymousreply 10109/02/2020

I'm about halfway through it, r101, and have no idea where it's headed. Which is not a bad thing. And he writes wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 10209/03/2020

Just finished Lady Colin Campbell's delicious book on the Harkles. On to book 2 of John Connolly's Charlie Parker series. About one-third through the book already. I LOVE this series. Each one is a feast to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 10309/03/2020

I skimmed the first hundred or so pages of Annie Proulx's 'Barkskins' after watching the tv adaptation. Now I'm reading the first 'Expanse' novel after watching the first season on Amazon.

The Barkskins show was completely unlike the novel, but Expanse was so spot-on I'm thinking there's no real point to reading the book.

by Anonymousreply 10409/04/2020

the Expanse books are amazing. loved all of them!

by Anonymousreply 10509/04/2020

I’m trying the new Denise Mina mystery but it’s not good.

by Anonymousreply 10609/07/2020

Just finished The Splendid and the Vile about Churchill during WW II. Not up to the level of Larsen's other books, especially The Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storm.

Just started Spying on the South by Tony Horwitz.

by Anonymousreply 10709/07/2020

I started The city we became and i'm not liking it (which is suprising to me because i loved the fifth season).

But someone on my book forum loved the novel after not liking the start at all so i keep my hopes high

by Anonymousreply 10809/11/2020

Reaganland - Rick Perlstein Hoax - Brian Stelter

by Anonymousreply 10909/11/2020

THE PALACE—Troubled expat woman on the run in Bangkok. Very atmospheric.

by Anonymousreply 11009/12/2020

THE GLASS KINGDOM, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11109/12/2020

[QUOTE] But I am looking for recommendations of good biographies or good novels, esp. gay themed novels, that are a bit older than new - say 2016-2018 or 19.

Have you read At Danceteria and Other Stories? It came out in 2016 and I believe a sequel comes out next year.

I read The Lost Language of Cranes recently and was deeply moved by it at times. The writing is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 11209/12/2020

Whoever recommended Shuggie Bain thank you. I loved it

by Anonymousreply 11309/12/2020

A Genteman in Moscow isn’t gay themed but it is excellent

by Anonymousreply 11409/12/2020

R113 Suggie Bain is getting a lot of attention on award season, it was nominated to the booker, the center for fiction and the kirkus

by Anonymousreply 11509/12/2020

I didn't think At Danceteria was all that good. It was decent but kind of silly. And, the author lives in my building.

by Anonymousreply 11609/12/2020

In “The Feral Detective,” Jonathan Lethem Returns to Detective Noir for the Trump Era.

have yet to be disappointed by a Lethem novel.

by Anonymousreply 11709/12/2020

I loved the Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremaine..Patrick Gale is also a good gay writer

by Anonymousreply 11809/12/2020

R99, I really liked The Fatal Shore

Has anyone read The Five by Hallie Rubenhold? I just started it

by Anonymousreply 11909/12/2020

Re-reading volume 1 of "The Liveship Traders," called "Ship of Magic" The author is Robin Hobb, and the series, needless to say, is in the fantasy genre. I first read the trilogy 20 years ago, when a friend of mine arrived at my house, handed me the first book in the series, and said, "I think you're going to like this." She was right.

by Anonymousreply 12009/13/2020

I was one of those r113, and glad you enjoyed it. Stuart has a story in The New Yorker this week and it's also great.

by Anonymousreply 12109/13/2020

Last night I finished Mr. Bridge by Evan Connell, and I had read Mrs. Bridge two weeks ago. These novels are told in short vignettes about life in an upper middle class family in Kansas City in the 1930s and 40s. I found them absolutely brilliant, perhaps the best fiction I’ve read to show what life was like for this demographic at this time. It doesn’t shy away from revealing the prejudices and foibles of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 12209/13/2020

R120 I read the first book of the first trilogy during quarantine

by Anonymousreply 12309/13/2020

WOKE and MY FIRST LITTLE BOOK OF INTERSECTIONAL ACTIVISM by Titania McGrath (really gay cutie Andrew Doyle). Both are hilarious satirical take downs of the whole woke movement. Laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 12409/13/2020

r124 is probably a conservative who thought gay marriage would cause society to collapse

by Anonymousreply 12509/13/2020

The two gay/queer nominees made the shortlist of the booker.

Shuggie Bain was a sure shot, i'm more surprised by Real life nomination.

Of course three of the favourites (The mirror and the light, How much of this hills is gold and Apeirogon didn't made the cut)

by Anonymousreply 126Last Wednesday at 3:14 AM

I just finished A Star Is Bored by Byron Lane, a coming of age story based on his years as Carrie Fisher’s personal assistant. It’s charming and very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 127Last Wednesday at 3:17 AM

[quote]I loved the Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremaine.

I remember being disappointed by it. I read it through, and now think it was the denouement that failed to please. But it's been several years. I gave it only one star on Good Reads.

[quote]I didn't think At Danceteria was all that good. It was decent but kind of silly.

I liked it more than you did, probably. "Decent," but "silly" is a good description, though. For me, it was a look into clubkid-ism, something I was just too old to be a part of. I'd partied so hard, in fact, I'd joined AA early in the time frame of the book, and had left New York the year before in any case.

[quote]Shuggie Bain was a sure shot

The opening chapters, which had more to do with Shuggie's parents, made me sad. I put the book down weeks ago. Maybe I'll come back to it. After the pandemic, perhaps, whenever that may turn out to be.

[quote]I read The Lost Language of Cranes recently and was deeply moved by it at times. The writing is gorgeous.

I've always liked this book. I think I've read it three or four times. It and the book of stories that preceded it have always been my favorite works of David Leavitt.

by Anonymousreply 128Last Wednesday at 3:40 AM

SHUGGIE is a bit overlong, but well worth the read. I'd love it if he won. More deserving than REAL LIFE (which was fine, but certainly not better than the new Mantel.

by Anonymousreply 129Last Wednesday at 5:40 AM

Reading "1599: A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare" after the endnotes in "Hamnet" tipped me off to it.

by Anonymousreply 130Last Wednesday at 8:51 AM

This is my morning to bitch:

I tried some books from The New Yorker's featured list and am convinced they are just promoting each other's work and family and friends and loathsome contacts. No integrity. Up until the sixties the editors were turning down stuff from Salinger, et al.

Now any slag is acceptable. I think after this year's subscription runs out, no more.

by Anonymousreply 131Last Wednesday at 8:57 AM

[quote]I tried some books from The New Yorker's featured list and am convinced they are just promoting each other's work and family and friends and loathsome contacts

Aw, shit. What selections were particularly nepotistic?

I guessed the worst when the editor became the patron of Lena Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 132Last Wednesday at 9:11 AM

I'll have to check, R132, I have the fortunate ability to forget unpleasant stuff.

by Anonymousreply 133Last Wednesday at 9:31 AM

Speaking of The NY and Douglas Stuart, I enjoyed his recent story in the magazine. It still made my skin crawl a little, just not as much as his previous story there (which I believe was an excerpt from "Shuggie Bain.") I hope "Older Men Preying on Semi-Willing Younger Ones" isn't always going to be Stuart's theme, no matter how well he writes it.

I'm reading "At Swim, Two Boys" again (third time? fourth?), and it never ceases to please (despite the ending). O'Neill does such lovely things with the Irish vernacular, and the novel is so beautifully crafted.

by Anonymousreply 134Last Wednesday at 2:16 PM

Any fans of Margot Livesey? I’m reading her latest novel The Boy in the Field.

by Anonymousreply 135Last Wednesday at 2:20 PM

Shuggie Bain is very well written but far too depressing for anyone who comes from a long line of self-sabotaging alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 136Last Wednesday at 2:38 PM

Adam Mars-Jones's "Box Hill." Short, sexy, and fabulously written.

(New Directions).

by Anonymousreply 137Last Wednesday at 2:40 PM

I a lot of Erle Stanley Gardner. Esp. the ones written in the 30s. (The HBO series is a travesty, imo.)

by Anonymousreply 138Last Wednesday at 2:46 PM

r137 (or anyone) What is Adam Mars-Jones best known for writing? The name sounds so familiar, yet I don't remember anything mentioned on his Wikipedia page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139Last Wednesday at 2:51 PM

Just finished A.N. Wilson’s biography of Queen Victoria. Dense but luminous.

by Anonymousreply 140Last Wednesday at 2:52 PM

"Warhol" by Blake Gopnik. Nine hundred seventy-something pages, but engrossing.

by Anonymousreply 141Last Thursday at 3:35 AM

Bernhard Aichner, Woman of the Dead (Totenfrau). About a woman whose policeman husband is killed in a car accident and due to discoveries she makes right after his death, she sets out to find out why. I'm reading the German original in translation, and I don't know if the compelling read and attractive writing style are due to the author or the translator. All in all, a recommended read.

by Anonymousreply 142Last Thursday at 3:52 AM

Enjoying Susanna Clarke's PIRANESI. And greartly admired THE QUEEN OF TUESDAY.

Stuart's first story in the New Yorker wasn't a SHUGGIE excerpt, but was drawn from the same well.

by Anonymousreply 143Last Thursday at 5:15 AM

R143 how is PIRANESI? Would you recommend it?

by Anonymousreply 144Last Thursday at 5:33 AM

I just finished "Trust Exercise" by Susan Choi. It's a very interesting novel, written from the viewpoints of multiple unreliable narrators.

by Anonymousreply 145Last Thursday at 5:48 AM

Yes, r144, I would, although this is based on only the first third. Don't know if you know her JONATHAN STRANGE book; this is very different, but comes from the same fountain of creativity. This is more of a dystopian fable/mystery—not something I'd normally rush to, but its early reviews were excellent. And unlike JS, it's short and a breezy read.

by Anonymousreply 146Last Thursday at 6:22 AM

R145 That book will be my next one to read

R143 I didn't knew Clarke released another novel, it's been ages since Jonathan Strange

by Anonymousreply 147Last Thursday at 9:59 AM

R137. He and Edmund White wrote a volume called The Darker Proof, a collection of stories about AIDS, in the 1980s (they each contributed several stories).

by Anonymousreply 148Last Thursday at 10:34 AM

Clarke writes slowly. Recent articles have chronicled her ongoing battle with a debilitating disease that saps her of her energy in alarming ways.

by Anonymousreply 149Last Thursday at 1:17 PM

And Shuggie Bain is nominated to the National Book Award too.

Maybe i didn't followed the books that much this year (i follow a page that makes predictions to the pulitzer because most of the novels are not translated in my country) but the truth is only A Burning, Suggie Bain and The vanishing half were in my radar

by Anonymousreply 150Last Friday at 1:26 PM

R150, you seem to have a superb grasp of English. Do you only read novels in your own language?

by Anonymousreply 151Last Saturday at 5:04 AM

I read the Glass Hotel and can't really remember it. I'm reading Peter Cameron's latest and I'm liking it. Thanks for the recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 152Last Saturday at 8:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!