Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marlo Thomas in "That Girl"

It's a charming show. I'm nearly through Season 3 and it's interesting because it's unlike any other sitcom I've ever seen. Don and Ann actually experience real emotions. There's very little slapstick, it's quite unusual for an American sitcom.

One question though: was the hair real? That thick black hair with the famous flip? Very pretty but can't figure out if it's real or not. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the show. I'm going to watch all the seasons. It's interesting seeing how it's evolving.

by Anonymousreply 424September 26, 2020 12:21 PM

Never understood how a restaurant owner from Brewster had so much money.

That Girl was worth watching IMHO just to gaze at Ted Bessell.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 6:40 AM

I have a newfound respect for Ted Bessell. Not only is he really cute, he's charming too and a very good actor.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 7:00 AM

Marlo is Lebanese and Italian...I grew up with Lebanese girls who had thick, dark hair just like her. So I'd say her hair is real.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 7:14 AM

Oh, Donald!

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 7:18 AM

One of the best openings EVAH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 7:19 AM

Loved 'That Girl." Great show.

Marlo was Mary Tyler Moore before Mary Tyler Moore was Mary Richards.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 7:19 AM

Thanks to this board I am seeing some episodes of Green Acres so another to discover.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 7:19 AM

Marlo Thomas discusses creating "That Girl"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 7:28 AM

So is the DL obsession with Marlo Thomas being a cunt a running gag, or was there a legitimate reason for it? I've always wondered, because I like her, and would like to know if she's not worthy of that.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 7:31 AM

Great, funny, charming, thought-provoking interview...

Marlo Thomas Interview with Bill Boggs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 7:43 AM

Hair was all Marlo Thomas. Though at some point she had began growing out her bangs, studio suits made her wear a piece to preserve "That Girl" look.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 7:55 AM

Jane Fonda With Marlo Thomas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 8:00 AM

Marlo is now 82. Damn.

Jane Fonda is also 82.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 8:06 AM

R9, I've heard for years that she's not nice to service industry people. In my book--having worked in hospitality for over 20 years--that's a good indicator of one's character. Phil Donahue is apparently very kind to make up for her cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 8:20 AM

Marlo Thomas - look at you! Vintage 60's with a plunging neckline - oh and I love your dress too honey!

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 8:47 AM

Ted Bessell is not standard handsome but there was something about him in That Girl. One of my first boyhood tv crushes.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 9:26 AM

The Ted Bessell types are the reason why somebody, somewhere came up with the word "adorkable."

But Marlo's a twat, and her "hospital" SUCKS compared to ours!

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 10:50 AM

I knew someone who lived downstairs from Thomas and Donahue.

When that staff member's book came out, she said it was all true and worse. Everyone in the building hated her.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 11:39 AM

So happy to know I wasn't the only one who thought Ted Bessell was cute and funny. (despite the wonky eye; that just made him more endearing).

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 3:08 PM

Ted Bessell is sexy as hell. His hair was lightened for the series though, correct? He does not appear as blond in later television appearances. I'd love to see him naked. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 8:21 PM

It saddens me deeply to hear that Marlo may not have been nice. She seems so adorable on the show. I wonder if there was a reason for that. Leslie Jordan recounted running into her in the old Bullocks Wilshire Dept store. It was when he had first come to Hollywood, so before he was famous. He was explaining to his friend who she was and he whispered loudly "THAT GIRL". He said Thomas looked at him and smiled and said simply "Marlo Thomas." She shook his hand and left. He said she was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 8:23 PM

That Girl is a perfect time capsule of how we would like the 1960s to be. It's a fun show, back when we were allowed to have shows just for fun and they didn't have to preach or teach us anything. It's a lovely confection.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 8:38 PM

This is pretty mundane, but still: Both type of stories could be true. I am sure celebs have good days and bad days like everybody else. They may get trained to turn 'it' on at all times when in public. But I'm sure there are moments - and if just once a month - when celebs get aggravated from the slightest annoyance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 8:40 PM

Yes. I don't think we can just take the word of one disgruntled maid that she was not nice.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 8:41 PM

The really great thing about Ted Bessell in "That Girl" was that he had as many outfits as she did. You don't see him in the same suit very often and his leisure clothing was always changing as well.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 8:56 PM

That WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 9:18 PM

[quote]That Girl was worth watching IMHO just to gaze at Ted Bessell.

Red haireds all smell funny down there

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 9:18 PM

R24

Don't see why not; this is DL where someone who says they know a guy, that knows a guy who knows a guy lives in David Muir's street and states for a fact he's gay. In short we're not talking about post graduate thesis here.......

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 9:19 PM

[quote]Everyone in the building hated her.

That's because she got the building to ban glass coffee tables. Not that I blame her with what she must've lived through.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 9:20 PM

It's kind of amazing in a way that they gave Ann Marie the perfect boyfriend in the very first episode where they meet (cute of course). Ted Bessell had a small part in as post-traumatic war disorder patient in "Captain Newman M.D." starring Gregory Peck, Tony Curtis and Angie Dickinson with fine performances also by Robert Duvall and Eddie Albert especially Oscar-nominated Bobby Darin.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 9:22 PM

Is is amazing that you have a 1966 (when series began) young single but basically never working "actress" Ann Marie living in her own apartment on UWS (address given by Donald as 344 West 78th Street), when barely six years before you had films like "Best of Everything" where young single women had to live with roommates . This included Caroline Bender (played by Hope Lange), who came from an upper middle class if not above background.

Again it never made sense to me how Ann Marie's dad, a mere restaurant owner from Brewster could afford his apparently upscale lifestyle that included paying his daughter's rent and other expenses.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 9:38 PM

How do you know Lou Marie didn't inherit money? There could be all kinds of reasons a restaurant owner in Brewster NY could have money. Maybe his is the only nice restaurant in town and does gangbuster business. And she is their only child after all.

This series was really groundbreaking for women in many ways. And although some of it is fluff, it isn't really fluff. It makes some important points and I think that was all because of Marlo Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 9:52 PM

R28

You mean David Muir is not really a gay?

I could have sworn....

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote]Is is amazing that you have a 1966 (when series began) young single but basically never working "actress" Ann Marie living in her own apartment on UWS (address given by Donald as 344 West 78th Street)

In the 1960s and 1970s, the Upper West Side was not the tony address it is today. Ann Marie's neighborhood would have been full of Puerto Ricans. (See West Side Story).

Maybe she was giving handjobs to her building's Super to pay the rent. She didn't have a lot of overhead so it's plausible that her father could completely support her. Maybe she worked before she moved to NYC and saved up a lot of money. She picked up a lot of tips in her father's restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 11:44 PM

I read that it was Thomas' decision to end the series. The ratings were still good but, like The Dick Van Dyke show, it ended because the star felt they had played the story out. The network wanted to end with a wedding between Ann and Don, but Marlo nixed the idea. Ted Bessell, in a later interview, said that he and Marlo had talked about a reunion movie in which they meet up again, years later, both married to other people. That kind of saddened me....that after all that, Ann and Don would not end up together.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 11:54 PM

Not that her affording her apartment and wardrobe was realistic, but Ann was always working odd jobs while she was trying to get her big break.

I thought Don was cute in the early years of the show with the mid-60's fashion and shorter hair and he looked like he could have been an office mate of early Darrin Stephens. I don't think he pulled off the 1970 sideburns, big lapels etc look as well. He was a good straight man- foil for Marlo.

I know they were engaged the last season (and Anne grew her bangs out and lost her flip). I am surprised they did not get married on the last episode, but maybe they felt there would be another season. A lot of shows never had series finales.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 11:55 PM

Before "That Girl", single gals had roommates (e.g., Ann Sothern) or no discernible home life (most single supporting players like Ann B Davis or Nancy Kulp). OTOH, they gave her a boyfriend from day one so she really didn't have her own life. Mary Tyler Moore was the real ground breaker--no roommate, no steady bf.

Marlo really liked Bessell and he seems to have been popular with the rest of the cast/writers as well as people on other shows where he worked. He was actually a child music prodigy. Definitely someone who was destined to do better in tv and, at best a supporting player in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 11:57 PM

Bessell studied at the Neighborhood Playhouse with Sanford Meisner. He knew how to act and has some beautifully 'real' moments on the show.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

On Mad Men, I always got the feeling that the Ken Cosgrove character was modeled on Ted Bessell's That Girl character.

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 12:03 AM

Thanks R35 - you answered my questions while I was typing it out and posting regarding the wedding.

She probably made the right decision to end the show. While Marlo still looked good, she was not exactly looking like an ingenue any longer and had aged out of young kid hoping to make it in the Big Apple. They had really done all they could do with that unless they made some sort of change where she got her big break and explored that or had her embark on another career. Although people tend to be resistant to change on their shows, as Bessel himself found out when people were not happy that they tried to make him Mary Richards' steady boyfriend in the last year of the show.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 12:04 AM

That's interesting because I just recently saw those episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show with Bessell. He was so charming and still so attractive. I couldn't understand why they didn't bring him on as her beau. There was good chemistry between them too. It would have made it nice for Mary to finally have a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 12:07 AM

Marlo Thomas was adamant that having Ann Marie marry Donald would have been a co-out. From her point of view it would have reinforced the message counter to what That Girl was about; that the only true destiny for a woman of 1960's-1970's was still marriage.

Yes, there was talk of a reunion movie years later when Donald (who had subsequently married then divorced someone else), and Ann Marie met again, but nothing really came of idea.

In real world of course it is anyone's guess how long a man like Donald Hollinger would have waited for Ann Marie to marry or not. He was a young executive that was going places, and in 1960's and 1970's that still meant getting married and starting a family. That was "the way I've always heard it should be....". sort of thing. This is probably why that reunion that never happened had Donald Hollinger as divorced.

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2020 12:16 AM

Fun facts about "That Girl," including that Donald's name was "Donald Big Sky" in the pilot (he was supposed to be part Cherokee) and that Ann's father was originally played by Harold Gould (Miles from "Golden Girls" and Rhoda's father.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2020 12:23 AM

Marlo is a billionaire now. She ended up far richer than Lucy and Mary Tyler Moore.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 12:27 AM

How did she get so rich?

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2020 12:37 AM

I do find it shocking that Ann and Don don't get married. The entire 6 seasons revolve around their love for each other.

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2020 12:38 AM

Then tell her to stop begging for other people to contribute to her goddamn hospital. She can fund it single-handedly. She's worse than Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2020 12:38 AM

Far better picture of 82 year old Marlo Thomas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2020 12:55 AM

As for Marlo Thomas's wealth, don't forget her father was Danny Thomas who left a sizable estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2020 12:57 AM

I thought the actor who played her father was perfect for the part. It's funny, my memory of a lot of the shows is fuzzy, but I completely remember a very funny episode where Anne, Donald , and Anne's parents play monopoly. Strange what we remember.

Didn't Ted start out as a supporting player on Gomer Pyle, USMC?

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2020 12:59 AM

Wow that house is kind of hideous, but I wonder how much was changed by the previous owner.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2020 1:29 AM

[quote]The ratings were still good but, like The Dick Van Dyke show, it ended because the star felt they had played the story out.

Considering the production crew had been referring to Thomas as That CUNT, executives figured better to end it than have to train an entire new staff.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2020 1:30 AM

Don't forget, Danny left Marlo a warehouse full of glass-top tables.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2020 1:38 AM

[quote]How did she get so rich?

I'm sure she makes a ton of money from that children's hospital she owns. And she splits the money from her father's syndicated shows with her brother. Those shows alone bring in around $100 million a year. He produced The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, That Girl and The Mod Squad.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2020 1:41 AM

La Parisienne was considered the best French restaurant in the lower Hudson Valley, not just Brewster. Lou's restaurant was the first to serve quiche as an appetizer.

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2020 1:43 AM

That Girl had to end as premise of series was getting played out, and Marlo Thomas was getting a bit long in the tooth to be playing a young struggling (unmarried) actress.

How long was Ann Marie going to string Donald along? How long would Donald put up with it before saying it was time to seal the deal or he was walking. How long before Ann Marie realized she (like so many others) was never going to get her "big break" and fall back upon what scores of other actresses did; get married and have children.

Few more years and Ann Marie would have been in Paula McFadden (Marsha Mason) "Goodbye" girl territory hearing "sorry but we need them younger" or some such words when going on auditions.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2020 1:45 AM

R54

Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital is a non profit, and as such their books are open to anyone who wants to peep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2020 1:54 AM

Here's the insider's tell-all book on Amazon. Read the customer reviews for more dirt on what an out-of-control harridan Marlo was. I heard Marlo was bipolar, which explained a lot of her rages. It was also a reason she never won an Emmy for That Girl, she was hated by people who had to work with her.

But bipolar patients get better with age, so Marlo probably OK at 82.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2020 1:55 AM

My husband used to coordinate book signings at his book store and did one with her when her book came out and said she was lovely and professional. And talked to everyone and took a photo with the staff. I know there have been stories about her for a long time but maybe she’s not all bad.

by Anonymousreply 59August 5, 2020 2:44 AM

I can't get through a single episode. Even as a kid I thought it was shrill and dumb, with the actors playing to the backrow of the theater. And she cries like 3 or 4 times per show.

I guess she was the epitome of what a girl aspired to be in the 60s: petulant, whiny, emotional, virginal, insecure, weepy... and obsessed with snagging a man.

by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2020 2:56 AM

So because of this thread I watched the first episode. She met her cute future boyfriend. Did they ever fuck?

by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2020 3:14 AM

^^ They remained chaste for six seasons. At least with each other.

by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2020 3:31 AM

I like to think that Marlo and Ted Bessel ended up living together or married; it doesn’t matter. They were perfect together. And I don’t want to believe that she wasn’t nice in real life. She always seemed delightful. Loved seeing Marlo on later night talk shows. Joan Rivers interviewed her. They were fun together.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show is my all-time favorite. Loved Ted Bessel as Mary’s boyfriend, but he really belonged with Marlo.

by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2020 3:32 AM

^^ frau?

by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2020 4:36 AM

The show opening always freaked me out as a kid, the part where she sees herself in a store window all dressed up like a prom queen, waves at herself and the doppelganger winks back at her. It was too surreal for my young self.

by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2020 5:06 AM

I think she wore a wig in the last season, her hair looked too big for her head. If you compare her hair from the very first season, it wasn’t nearly as thick. But each season it appeared thicker than the one before.

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2020 5:12 AM

I think she wore a wig in the last season, her hair looked too big for her head. If you compare her hair from the very first season, it wasn’t nearly as thick. But each season it appeared thicker than the one before.

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2020 5:12 AM

Sorry for the double post!

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2020 5:13 AM

Marlo says she turned down Rosemary's Baby. Ted Bessell would've been great as Guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2020 5:22 AM

That Girl had 5 seasons (not 6 as a previous poster wrote). I recently watched the entire show on Antenna TV. Amazon Prime members can also stream it for free.

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote] Few more years and Ann Marie would have been in Paula McFadden (Marsha Mason) "Goodbye" girl territory hearing "sorry but we need them younger" or some such words when going on auditions.

Paula McFadden was a dancer, and so she really did age out of work at a certain point. But since Ann Marie was an actress, she could have played older parts.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2020 5:30 AM

It was a sweet show, although Ann's apartment on the UWS was ridiculously big. But then again, she played the mother of Rachel Green on "Friends" who also lived ina fantasy apartment she could never have afforded (although by this time at least Rachel had a roommate).

It's funny that Mary Richards, who came between Ann Marie and Rachel Green, had the most believable working-girl apartment--just a studio, where she had to convert the sofa into a bed at night. And that wasn't in expensive Manhattan but in much more affordable Minneapolis.

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2020 5:33 AM

The apartment on Friends was explained that it used to be Monica's grandmother's apartment and was rent stabilized. It's plausible.

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2020 5:38 AM

How did these gals get these great NYC apartments for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2020 5:40 AM

I want to go fly a pink kite in Central Park in 1966 - but with Ted Bessell, not with Marlo or even Ann Marie.

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2020 5:43 AM

r41

No there was no chemistry and the fans hated him. That is why he was dumped.

[quote]Ted Bessell is sexy as hell. His hair was lightened for the series though, correct? He does not appear as blond in later television appearances. I'd love to see him naked. Damn.

Thats because he was a red haired.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote]It's funny that Mary Richards, who came between Ann Marie and Rachel Green, had the most believable working-girl apartment--just a studio

Actually Rhoda's apartment was more believable as was Brenda's apt when she moved back to NYC. (But not Rhoda's NYC apts).

by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote]I think she wore a wig in the last season, her hair looked too big for her head. If you compare her hair from the very first season, it wasn’t nearly as thick. But each season it appeared thicker than the one before.

No, she didn't wear a wig but from time to time she wore extensions to even up her hair while she grew it out. And most of the fourth season she had fake bangs.

by Anonymousreply 78August 5, 2020 5:52 AM

From the book that R58 mentioned, written by Marlo and Phil's majordomo:

"When I began working for the Thomas - Donahue household [in February 1986], there was a Chinese laundress named Linda who was a good worker but had a somewhat abrasive personality, perhaps due to cultural differences. She was, however, a punctual and efficient employee when it came to doing the laundry.

When Linda found out she was pregnant, she confided to the staff that she and her husband were very happy at the prospect of becoming parents. Still, she was hesitant to tell Miss Thomas, feeling her good news would not be enthusiastically received as she would also be asking for a leave of absence. Her sensible plan was that after she spent a short period at home with her child, her mother-in-law would then baby-sit while Linda continued working. With the purchase of a co-op in Queens, new furniture and a car, and a new baby, Linda needed to be assured of a steady income.

She was not Marlo's favorite employee, however, because she arrived at 9 A.M. and left at 5 P.M. on the dot. Marlo's perfect employee was someone who would put aside any private life and be available twenty-four hours a day to cater to her every whim. Neither did Linda win any popularity contests with the rest of the staff. She never offered to do anything beyond her job description and made it quite clear to the rest of us that it was not her job to do anything outside of this basic description. This attitude did not endear her to any of us because we operated as a team, pitching in and helping out wherever necessary.

Linda divided her time between the basement of Marlo's [and Phil's] building on Fifth Avenue, where the washing machines were located, and the small windowless laundry room in the apartment. Marlo insisted that Linda keep the laundry door closed at all times so neither Linda nor the laundry was visible when anyone walked by. Perhaps it was being enclosed in small, windowless rooms all day that shaped Linda's attitude."

by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2020 5:59 AM

R79 continued:

"Eventually, when she became visibly pregnant, she had to confront Marlo with her news. As predicted, Marlo was not overjoyed. As the days went by, Linda grew larger in size, which made it increasingly difficult for her to maneuver the large laundry baskets. Phil, always the gentleman, helped her carry the baskets down the stairs to the elevator and insisted that I also help Linda, which I was happy to do.

Marlo, in the meantime, felt that Linda having a baby would lead to a serious problem of absenteeism once the child was born. Even though the infant was to be cared for by its grandmother, it was certain to get sick at times and require the attention of its mother. Marlo, a self - proclaimed feminist, asked me to find a replacement for Linda, devising a plan so that it would not appear obvious to anyone that Linda was being fired because of her condition. Thus, Linda would be told that Marlo needed a laundress who could also serve as her lady's maid and travel with her to [her and Phil Donahue's vacation house in Westport,] Connecticut and on trips out of town. Marlo felt that Linda would accept this excuse for letting her go as she obviously would be unable to travel with a new baby at home.

As usual, the plan was set without Phil's knowledge. He was always kept in the dark regarding household matters. The day finally arrived to let Linda go. Reluctantly, I informed her of the reason for her termination and presented her with a severance check, but she was not a happy mother-to-be when she heard the news. Marlo thought the woman would accept the situation and quietly fade into oblivion, but instead Linda said she would wait until Phil came home at 6 P.M. [from taping his syndicated television talk show] and speak to him directly.

Marlo, of course, made sure she was nowhere near the apartment for this firing. Miss Thomas always abandoned me when it came time for doing the dirty work. I lied to Linda, telling her that it was pointless to wait because Phil and Marlo were going straight to the country [house in Connecticut] from Phil's [videotaping of his television] show. Frustrated and angry, Linda stormed out of the apartment.

The next day at 9 A.M., the doorman [who worked in the lobby of the building where Marlo and Phil lived in a penthouse] said that Linda was downstairs. I informed him that she was not to be allowed up to the apartment, and I spoke with her over the house phone. She told me that she had left some of her personal belongings in the laundry room. I quickly packed her items in a bag and sent them downstairs. She still didn't leave. A few minutes later, she was on the house phone again, saying she would wait until Phil came down [to the lobby] so she could confront him with the manner in which she had been fired."

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2020 6:00 AM

R80 continued:

"Phil wouldn't do this to me," she said. I was terrified Phil would walk in at any minute and hear my conversation or, worse still, go jogging and find himself in a confrontation with a very irate and very pregnant laundress.

I lied to Linda again, telling her that Phil had already left for the day; alas, she had seen Phil's driver waiting in front of the building. She knew better. I immediately called the driver on the car phone and told him that if Linda asked him what he was doing there he should say that he had already driven Phil to work and that he was waiting to drive me to the country [house in Connecticut where Desmond supervised domestic employees when necessary]. In addition, I telephoned the doorman and told him to assure Linda that Phil was not at home. Because Phil and Marlo were the largest tippers in the building at Christmas, the doormen were generally willing to do whatever we asked of them to keep the Thomas - Donahues happy. After what seemed like hours, Linda finally left. Later that day, a letter arrived from Linda addressed to Phil. I gave it to Marlo, who immediately threw it away.

Concerning Linda's absence, Marlo had told Phil that Linda had left to have her baby and that a replacement would be starting soon. The remainder of the day was quiet; Marlo felt that the crisis was over and went away for the weekend with her husband.

The crisis was hardly over, however, Linda next contacted Marlo's office and arranged a meeting between herself, her husband, and Marlo's secretary. Linda's husband felt the manner in which Linda had been fired was an insult to his family and that Linda would have a difficult time quickly finding another job under the circumstances. The meeting concluded without any happy endings.

Monday arrived and Phil went off to work in a good mood. He was quite angry by the time he returned [home to the Fifth Avenue penthouse]. Linda had sent a letter to his office detailing the manner in which she had been fired. Phil had recently [video]taped a show about discrimination against pregnant women and was especially furious with Marlo for putting him in such an awkward position. A dreadful fight was heard by all.

The next day, I was at work very early because Marlo was scheduled to appear on Phil's show to promote her upcoming book [titled] Free To Be ... A Family, a book based on freedom of choice regarding aspects of family life. It was ironic, I felt, considering the circumstances. Phil entered Marlo's study [at the penthouse], where she was going over her agenda for the day with her secretary, and [he] said, "Sort this Linda thing out before you come on my show today or don't bother coming. You lied to me once again!" He then turned and stormed out of the room.

Marlo suddenly burst into tears and cried out, "Am I really such a bitch?"

Her secretary held her hand and pacified her without saying a word, but when Marlo looked at me for reassurance, I said, "Well, it does appear so," and went about my duties for the day.

Linda ended up giving birth to a beautiful little girl. To my knowledge, Marlo paid Linda full salary to stay at home with her daughter for many months to come."

by Anonymousreply 81August 5, 2020 6:01 AM

That story about the pregnant laundress was my favorite story when I read the book.

Marlo is another of those phony feminists.

by Anonymousreply 82August 5, 2020 6:38 AM

Years ago, there was a tribute to That Girl to be held at the TV Academy in Hollywood. Most of That Girl cast and producers were set to appear. A few days before, Ted Bessell died, so the event turned into a tribute mostly to him, showing clips of the many shows he directed as well as appeared in. It was very bittersweet with a lot of surprise guests including Penny Marshall who, I guess, had been a producing partner with him. Marlo pretty much ran the show, (including the tribute). And she was very good-humored in regards to some of the stories others told about the power she wielded on the set, way ahead of her time.

My favorite story had to do with how they were a Desilu production, and Lucille Ball was doing The Lucy Show in the studio next door. Whenever Marlo would disappear for a bit and someone would ask where she was, inevitably, a crew member would inform that she was in the ladies room comparing dick size with Lucy! I think Marlo laughed the hardest.

by Anonymousreply 83August 5, 2020 7:23 AM

She seems truly lovely on the show. I have to believe that's her real personality. And Ted seems like a real mensch.

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2020 7:28 AM

I went to see Same Time Next Year only because Ted was in it. As lousy a play as I knew it would be. But I had such a crush on him from That Girl I had to see it.

by Anonymousreply 85August 5, 2020 8:03 AM

[quote] Marlo is a billionaire now

No she isn't. Nowhere near it. How absolutely ridiculous,

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2020 8:09 AM

Ted Bessell was a child prodigy (piano) and at 12 had a recital at Carnegie Hall. He died far too young. He had some of the all time greatest hair ever.

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2020 8:13 AM

Bessell was still a quite handsome man later in his life. This is 4 years before he died of an aortic aneurysm at 61.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2020 8:17 AM

Not that any of them can be believed, but most of those "wealth" internet sites put Marlo Thomas's wealth at about 100 million or so.

Keep in mind we're talking about wealth as in assets, not cash in bank. This would include value of all real estate properties held, stocks, bonds, etc.... She got off to a good start being Danny Thomas's daughter; he must have left her (along with siblings) something more than a few trinkets.

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2020 8:43 AM

That's Marlo on the left during the late 1950s pre plastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2020 11:57 AM

Marlo Thomas has a sister and a brother to share "royalties" which at this point probably don't amount to much. Her brother had his own production career and does well, I'm sure. Her sister is a show business musical bit player. In addition, her cousin Ronald Jacobs (Danny's nephew) played a big part on all the Danny Thomas-produced shows and probably gets a bigger cut than Marlo and her sibs because he actually worked on the shows.

The show was filmed at Desilu but not produced by Desilu. During the Lucy era, it was a rental lot until Herb Solow was hired to develop pilots for what became dramas (e.g., Star Trek).

Marlo would have been awful in Rosemary's Baby. She lacks convincing vulnerability.

I don't think MTM ever wanted to have a regular bf on the show and she clearly did spend the night once in awhile with someone she didn't see as a "steady" (the episodes with Nanette Fabray as her mom made that clear), another contrast with "That Girl". Ann Marie was more of an early 60s woman---Marlo's age group than a "60s person"---MTM was really a woman of her time, even though she was almost the same age as Marlo.

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2020 12:05 PM

Ted Bessell was a good actor but he had an odd looking face with beady little eyes and a fat ass that grew larger each season of That Girl.

What are you Bessell hounds talking about?

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2020 1:38 PM

I was born in 1968, so I don't know if I was seeing this in reruns or first run, but I clearly remember when I was very young being absolutely terrified of the opening credits of THAT GIRL. The part at the end where she shakes her hair all around would make me scream and cry. Of course, my older brothers found this hysterical and loved to put me in front of the TV when it came on, and still like to remind me about it, 50 years later.

by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2020 1:39 PM

^^ You did the same thing last week, retard.

by Anonymousreply 94August 5, 2020 1:51 PM

Da fuq, R93! Did your rubber Ducky scare you too? Now THESE fuckers are something horrifying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 5, 2020 2:25 PM

It’s funny how many actors who went on to be famous had bit parts on this show...Rob Reiner and Teri Garr played a married couple and Richard Dreyfus played a friend of Ann’s. I’m sure there were many more.

by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote] My favorite story had to do with how they were a Desilu production, and Lucille Ball was doing The Lucy Show in the studio next door. Whenever Marlo would disappear for a bit and someone would ask where she was, inevitably, a crew member would inform that she was in the ladies room comparing dick size with Lucy!

I'm sure Lucy's was larger, even though Marlo no doubt has a massive one.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2020 3:55 PM

Reva Rose (who was the original Lucy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown) played one of Ann Marie's friends on a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2020 4:52 PM

Bonnie Scott, the original Rosemary, from "How to Succeed in Business" on Broadway, played Ann's friend and next door neighbor the first year on the series, but asked to be written out after the got married since she wanted to leave the business.

by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2020 5:00 PM

Was "That Girl" the first tv show to have a catchphrase?

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2020 5:11 PM

"Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

No, r100.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2020 5:24 PM

I think a huge part of the Ted Bessel attraction is that the character of Donald Hollinger had to have had tons of pent-up sexual frustration. He wasn't fucking his girlfriend, he wasn't cheating on her that we knew of, and she wasn't going to marry him anytime soon. Imagine a young, virile man in his prime going to waste like that. Poor guy, we just felt sorry for him and wanted to help him out!

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2020 5:34 PM

He was also SO nice and had to put up with her extreme nudge of a father, especially when the dad was a nuisance wanting to buy Marvin Gardens during that long game of Monopoly.

by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2020 5:36 PM

Phil Donahue is not half the man Ted Bessell was.

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2020 8:21 PM

Her most famous guest star was undoubtedly Ethel Merman, who had co-starred with Lew Parker (Lew Marie) in "Red, Hot and Blue" on Broadway. It also featured Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, and DL icon-of-icons, Vivian Vance. Ethel and Lew also co-starred in "Girl Crazy" on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2020 9:04 PM

No, that is not all Thomas' hair. It's quite obvious she's wearing a fall in some closeup scenes where the camera picks up that part of her hair is black and part of her hair is dark brown.

by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2020 9:16 PM

R104, but his hair is every bit as good.

by Anonymousreply 107August 5, 2020 10:07 PM

Do any of you remember the SNL spoof called "That Black Girl"?

Ann, a black girl, is working at a department store. And customers talking about her, want to point her out, but don't want to say, "That black girl" because they think it's racist.

So when asked, "Who?" They keep saying, "That Girl" and nobody knows who they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 108August 5, 2020 10:09 PM

After reading the book excerpt that begins at R79, here’s my question: what do they need a full time laundress for? How much laundry could they possibly generate? Downton Abbey, yes, but the apartment of Marlo Thomas and Phil Donahue?

by Anonymousreply 109August 5, 2020 10:43 PM

R109 Marlo shit the bed every night.

by Anonymousreply 110August 5, 2020 10:59 PM

Donald and Ann always seemed so oddly sexless as a couple. And I don't just mean they were saving it for marriage. They just never seemed like a couple, I barely remember them kissing or anything. It took me awhile to realize they were even supposed to be a couple.

by Anonymousreply 111August 5, 2020 11:00 PM

Marlo was a good friend of Karen Carpenter; I'm currently watching Todd Hayes' Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story on YouTube . Ted later starred in the short-lived ABC sitcom Hail to the Chief (1985), playing the husband of the first female U.S. president (DL fave Patty Duke). Quinn Cummings played their daughter and the show was created by Susan Harris!

by Anonymousreply 112August 6, 2020 12:05 AM

A fun movie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 6, 2020 12:23 AM

Anne Marie was one of the biggest hos to frequent Broadway and Times Square! How the he'll do you think she could afford to live in the city? Donald was just part of the front she displayed to hide the nitty gritty truth.

by Anonymousreply 114August 6, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote]It took me awhile to realize they were even supposed to be a couple.

They weren't. Donald was her gay BFF. You knew he was gay because he always insisted on being called Donald rather than Don or Donny.

by Anonymousreply 115August 6, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]Anne Marie was one of the biggest hos to frequent Broadway and Times Square!

Who do you think taught me the art of the backstage blowjob?

by Anonymousreply 116August 6, 2020 1:02 AM

Was Hollinger the inspiration for THIS Donald?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 6, 2020 1:11 AM

I wonder why Marlo took her hair from black to red. I think she'd look better with the original black/dark brown

by Anonymousreply 118August 6, 2020 1:14 AM

I saw Marlo in the Broadway production of "The Shadow Box." She left me wanting more.

by Anonymousreply 119August 6, 2020 1:16 AM

Does anyone remember Marlo’s ‘70s (TV) remake of It’s a Wonderful Life? She played the distaff Jimmy Stewart role, opposite Wayne Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 120August 6, 2020 1:49 AM

R109

Well Phil Donahue does have five children, if they and or guests were staying in the home that would generate piles of laundry per day.

It may come as a surprise but many "wealthy" homes in Manhattan do still employ a laundress. Even if you just have a married couple off the bat that is bed linen (perhaps changed daily), bath linen along with various items of personal clothing. For the husband there would be at least five to seven dress shirts per week that need laundering and ironing. Then don't forget table linen especially around holidays or when household entertains.

Add one or more children, or house guests and you've got enough work to keep someone busy for several hours per day.

Also many families will bring (or send) down laundry from their country house (few families have two laundresses). This means on Monday or Tuesday a laundress will have piles of washing that came into town, and must be ready to go back to country by Thursday or Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 6, 2020 6:13 AM

Another one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 6, 2020 6:17 AM

Last one, but there are tons of other listing out there:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 6, 2020 6:19 AM

Of course back when these great pre-war buildings went up and well into 1970's Manhattan was full of various laundries ranging from French hand to "private laundries" to various commercial enterprises. Families simply sent everything out, or made do with whatever was on site in building.

Problem is depending upon how much of it there is you can't expect one maid to cope on her own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 6, 2020 6:23 AM

Did Marlo have a nose job before 'That Girl'? Here she is with her godmother Loretta Young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 6, 2020 6:48 AM

read her butlers book on her

meanest old biddy in town

poor phil....

by Anonymousreply 126August 6, 2020 9:46 AM

She looks very ethnic in those pre That Girl photos.

[quote]I wonder why Marlo took her hair from black to red. I think she'd look better with the original black/dark brown

Very dark hair is very unflattering on old people. It tends to drain their face.

And I can't believe some of you thought that was all her hair on the show.

by Anonymousreply 127August 6, 2020 2:39 PM

I think she had some hair care sponsor like Clairol, so of course nothing was natural.

by Anonymousreply 128August 6, 2020 2:42 PM

She was a vision in Werle...

by Anonymousreply 129August 6, 2020 2:43 PM

It was Loretta Young, Marlo's godmother, who convinced her to have Werle design Ann Marie's wardrobe for the series.

by Anonymousreply 130August 6, 2020 2:59 PM

R119, I saw Marlo in Thieves, when it previewed in Boston prior to Broadway.

The original star was Valerie Harper, but she abruptly left the play in Boston and Marlo stepped in as a favor to the playwright, then boyfriend Herb Gardner.

by Anonymousreply 131August 6, 2020 3:04 PM

What R5 said. Not entirely ashamed to say I my four year-old self may have re-enacted those opening scenes a time or two in the TV room.

by Anonymousreply 132August 6, 2020 3:09 PM

The formula is to put a beautiful woman, who wears fashion really well, into a comedic (sometimes slapstick) situation. It only works if the actress is adept at slapstick.

by Anonymousreply 133August 6, 2020 3:19 PM

Great book, she made life hell for many around her. inclluding phil.

by Anonymousreply 134August 6, 2020 4:36 PM

she looked so fake in that jet black stiff wig she wore all them years,

and the amt of plastic surg she had,,,,,,for it was indeed a plastic show.

by Anonymousreply 135August 6, 2020 4:41 PM

She had a nose job before That Girl, and she looked like she had another one during it.

by Anonymousreply 136August 6, 2020 4:46 PM

On YouTube, look for the 1973 cartoon "That Girl in Wonderland". It originally aired on an ABC Saturday morning cartoon series. It's cute, you will like it, and Marlo does the voice of Ann.

by Anonymousreply 137August 6, 2020 5:35 PM

I loved the episode where Don sprung surprise anal on Ann.

by Anonymousreply 138August 6, 2020 5:38 PM

I like the one where she rinsed the pasta and her father went ape shit crazy that she did it. The rift lasted several episodes.

by Anonymousreply 139August 6, 2020 5:45 PM

My sister-in-law for the past 15 years has worked as a 5-6 days a week, full-time laundress in various homes in the Beverly Hills, Holmby Hills, and Bel Air area. Including working in a private home that had 24 hour around the clock laundry service! That home was the former Spelling Manor, then owned by Petra Ecclestone. And the crazy part was that Petra’s family was rarely at home in Los Angeles, so my SiL, just kept washing the same home linens and towels daily for no discernible use.

by Anonymousreply 140August 6, 2020 6:45 PM

I remember seeing her special "Free to Be... You and Me" as a child. I enjoyed it very much. This, along with her "That Girl" show, made me believe she was a pretty cool woman. Years later, I was shocked to find out how bitchy she was when I read that butler's book about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 6, 2020 6:52 PM

[quote]Bessell was still a quite handsome man later in his life.

He looked a ginger Philip McKeon...EWWWWW

by Anonymousreply 142August 6, 2020 6:57 PM

Ted Bessell was, at least later in life, a devout Catholic and a daily communicant.

by Anonymousreply 143August 6, 2020 7:05 PM

Ted/Donald was handsome. The perfect boyfriend. One of my favorite episodes is the one when Ann gets her toe stuck in a bowling ball. Also, Ann's mother (Rosemary Decamp) was also Shirley Partridge's mother and Donald's mother (Mabel Albertson) was also Darren Stevens' mother.

by Anonymousreply 144August 6, 2020 7:09 PM

Ethel Merman made two appearances on "That Girl". Ethel and Lew Parker had appeared together on Broadway years prior.

by Anonymousreply 145August 6, 2020 8:09 PM

R87, Ted Bessell died on October 6, 1996 at age 61, due to an aortic aneurysm. He is interred in Woodlawn Memorial Cemetery, Santa Monica, California.

by Anonymousreply 146August 6, 2020 8:13 PM

Mabel Albertson was also Cloris's mother in law.

by Anonymousreply 147August 6, 2020 10:05 PM

Rosemarie DeCamp has portrayed tons of mothers (usually a nice one). Mabel Albertson played countless battle axes.

by Anonymousreply 148August 6, 2020 10:14 PM

R118

Regardless of natural hair color, nearly all brunettes must go with lighter colors if they wish to deal with white hair at some point. At nearly 90 it is certain Marlo Thomas has all white (not grey) hair, so that would be that.

First darker hair is unflattering to anyone as they age, and certainly by time they become a senior citizen. It drags down skin tons, places emphasis on dark circles and other facial signs of aging... Whereas lighter colors brighten the face, and if done with properly placed highlights can take years off, and or detract from certain signs of aging.

Finally on a more practical note is is nearly impossible to keep white roots from showing with darker shades of hair coloring, especially at hairline. While it varies by how fast a person's hair grows, but usually by one or two weeks after coloring you've got white roots popping up. Against dark hair the contrast is stark and screams "I dye my hair". So unless you're willing to be a slave to that bottle, and spend every other week having roots touched up, another solution has to be found.

Lighter hair colors hide grey and white hair better; this is why blondes can get away with having grey or white hair longer before needing to dye or do something. Again this is especially true around hairline, which is why after about age 40 or so you see more use of highlights instead of dumping tons of dark color. If you look at any famous person in media male or female, white or any other race; if they are > 50 regardless of who dark their hair color was naturally in youth, they all now are shades of light brown, reddish brown, reddish blonde, golden brown, blonde, etc...

Finally some people's hair simply won't accept dark hair coloring unless you use a heavy opaque type color. Results especially around hairline are like Morticia Addams, or Eddie Munster; or maybe your grandmother who uses some drug store boxed hair color. Base for black hair color is blue (just like shoe polish), and it is the last thing many older folks can pull off.

by Anonymousreply 149August 6, 2020 10:55 PM

That Girl in Wonderland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 6, 2020 11:10 PM

R150, yes, watch it. It's good!

by Anonymousreply 151August 6, 2020 11:17 PM

It's really bad quality.

by Anonymousreply 152August 6, 2020 11:25 PM

Bad quality but the only way to see it. Quality gets better.

by Anonymousreply 153August 6, 2020 11:28 PM

Which one of you bitches knew all the words?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 6, 2020 11:30 PM

I actually like this lesser-known 1st season opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 6, 2020 11:53 PM

r154 Name the Broadway shows/movies, starting at 0:31, without slowing it down. I was only got Cactus Flower and Cabaret at first.

by Anonymousreply 156August 6, 2020 11:59 PM

r145, see r105.

by Anonymousreply 157August 7, 2020 12:12 AM

r156: From the link at R43:

10. The Broadway marquees in the opening credits were technically impossible.

The show carried different sets of opening credits over its five-season run. There is what we'll call the "Marlo Thomas stop sign version" and the "train tracks version." In the latter, Ann Marie trots giddily around Manhattan. At one point she ends up in near Times Square, as marquees for popular Broadway musicals flash on the screen. Well, they are a bit of an anachronism. The Star-Spangled Girl with Anthony Perkins opened on December 21, 1966. Philadelphia, Here I Come! had closed on November 26, 1966. Ann Marie would not have seen both signs on the same stroll.

by Anonymousreply 158August 7, 2020 12:14 AM

Wasn't Rich Little her upstairs neighbor? Or am I thinking of Bernie Kopell?

by Anonymousreply 159August 7, 2020 12:43 AM

My childhood friend Joey would sing:

"Diamonds, daisies, ringworm, That Girl"

by Anonymousreply 160August 7, 2020 12:48 AM

r154, interesting! I'm only finishing Season 3 and there have not been any words to the opening credits. That must come in later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 161August 7, 2020 1:21 AM

IIRC only final few seasons or maybe just last had theme song with words. It is the only one I remember.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 7, 2020 1:45 AM

Original from seasons 1-4.

Happen to like this one better because the building tempo matches train going along tracks into Manhattan. You know, railway trains start moving slowly then gradually pick up speed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 7, 2020 1:49 AM

Weren't there some episodes which were shot in black and white?

by Anonymousreply 164August 7, 2020 1:55 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 165August 7, 2020 2:00 AM

[Quote]Weren't there some episodes which were shot in black and white?

The show was always in color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 7, 2020 2:04 AM

Marlo hated glass coffee tables.

by Anonymousreply 167August 7, 2020 2:06 AM

That opening sequence really captures the chic glamor that was New York City in the early '60s.

by Anonymousreply 168August 7, 2020 2:28 AM

As does Brini's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 7, 2020 2:33 AM

The Season One theme really captures New York. The later one was all about her.

by Anonymousreply 170August 7, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote]That opening sequence really captures the chic glamor that was New York City in the early '60s.

Yeah, the squalor that was Central Park, brown grass, clumps of dirt. Thank god for the Central Park Conservancy!

I always liked the closing credits of Season 2-4 where she's flying the kite on the piers. Unfortunately, they cut out the bit where Marlo slipped on the semen from the gay boys hijinks in the wee small hours of the dawn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 7, 2020 3:04 AM

I'm an Elder Gay - and That Girl is the first "adult" TV show (well, sitcom - my Mom let me watch Johnny Carson..) I remember watching. I was probably 6...

by Anonymousreply 172August 7, 2020 3:11 AM

The opening from Season I is different from the famous one that we all know. Season I is sweet in its own way. Very low key, almost a comedy-drama sometimes. Season II struggles a bit, in my opinion, but the show really finds its legs in Season III.

by Anonymousreply 173August 7, 2020 8:08 AM

has her family made millions off that hospital scam???

by Anonymousreply 174August 7, 2020 8:41 AM

Ann lived in a different apartment in season 1. It had a lobby with a front desk. When they showed the building from the outside, there was a highway right outside. It looked kind of desolate. In the other seasons I think she was supposed to have lived in a brownstone.

I think the first season was the best, or maybe Ann was just more tolerable and realistic in that one. She soon became so screechy and hyper, with constant mugging and eye rolling, that I couldn’t understand why Don was always trying to placate her. But then, It seems like in every season he would write a story about her for his magazine. Which seems pretty unethical come to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 175August 7, 2020 10:39 AM

In early episodes Ann Marie gives her address as "627 East 54th Street". This like fictional Ricardo's address is impossible since blocks end at FDR Drive/East River at 500.

By the second season Donald gives Ann's address as 344 West 78th Street, Apartment D.

Exterior location shots were in upper East 70's and lower 80's between York and East End avenue.

by Anonymousreply 176August 7, 2020 10:50 AM

I love the Family Guy parody of the show's opening credits:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 7, 2020 11:19 AM

How narcissistic do you have to be to fly a kite with your own face on it?

by Anonymousreply 178August 7, 2020 12:47 PM

R171: The Arlene Golonka troll should be very happy with that one.

I noticed Eddie Foy III had a production role---his TV Academy interview is easily the most "full of shit"---he takes credit for all kinds of stuff that's obviously attributable to other people.

by Anonymousreply 179August 7, 2020 1:36 PM

Season 1 was closer to the original premise of single girl on her own in Manhattan (except of course she's instantly in a committed relationship). Over time, they got away from that and made it more of a traditional domestic sitcom, with more attention to her annoying parents, other couples, etc. That her folks lived a commuter train ride away became more a feature and less of a bug.

Despite owning the show, Thomas would have had to deal with network and, probably in the beginning, sponsor pressure to change things and that may explain the drift away from the few things that made the show a little innovative. MTM did the parents for awhile but dropped them for no apparent reason---OTOH, MTM did more than just recycle old plts with them---for example revealing that Mary occasionally spent the night with someone she wasn't going to marry. The other thing may have been that Rhoda's mother was a better generater of laughs and plots than Mary's parents.

by Anonymousreply 180August 7, 2020 1:42 PM

Ann’s father’s obsession with her sex life was creepy. She looked practically middle aged by the time the show ended but he still treated her like she was in junior high.

by Anonymousreply 181August 7, 2020 1:57 PM

[quote] Her most famous guest star was undoubtedly Ethel Merman, who had co-starred with Lew Parker (Lew Marie) in "Red, Hot and Blue" on Broadway. It also featured Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, and DL icon-of-icons, Vivian Vance. Ethel and Lew also co-starred in "Girl Crazy" on Broadway.

The funniest scene in that episode revolves around the completely implausible idea that Lew doesn't recognize the woman in Ann's kitchen as Ethel Merman ('You look vaguely familiar, Have we met?') even after she introduces herself as 'Ethel'. Anyone Lew's age living in the 1960s would've instantly known who Ethel Merman was, if not from seeing her on stage then from her many television appearances.

Although she brags that she's a great cook, in real life Merman was anything but. She even had the kitchen removed from her apartment in the Surrey and made do with a small toaster oven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 7, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]The funniest scene in that episode revolves around the completely implausible idea that Lew doesn't recognize the woman in Ann's kitchen as Ethel Merman

Wasn't that also a plot on Lucille Ball's show? How come normal people couldn't recognize Ethel Merman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 7, 2020 2:49 PM

R182, Ethel kept cheese and crackers in her apartment for guests, but always hosted them for dinner at a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 184August 7, 2020 4:32 PM

I always hated sitcom episodes that featured someone famous who didn't belong on the show.

That "You look so familiar" bit was tired when Lucy did it.

by Anonymousreply 185August 7, 2020 4:53 PM

From the time he first saw her on television in 1966, Phil Donahue said to himself "I'm going to marry That Girl!"

He did, and in no time at all, That Girl became THAT BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 186August 7, 2020 6:41 PM

There was a scene shot outside on last night's episode, and I think the hair is indeed hers.

by Anonymousreply 187August 8, 2020 12:34 AM

Ethel Merman was on the show twice in the same season I believe.

by Anonymousreply 188August 8, 2020 12:34 AM

Yes, Ethel was on two episodes of season 2.

by Anonymousreply 189August 8, 2020 12:38 AM

If Ethel Merman was so chummy with Ann Marie, then why didn't she help get Ann Marie some acting jobs? Or at least introduce her to some industry people like Arthur Laurents or Jerry Orbach?

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2020 2:48 AM

Arthur Laurents would have loved Don.

by Anonymousreply 191August 8, 2020 3:31 AM

Watching it as a kid, I’d always assumed that it was filmed entirely in New York. It wasn’t until I saw a more recent interview with Marlo Thomas where she said that shot ALL of the New York footage at the very start of the season, and then this footage was edited into the individual episodes shot in LA later.

by Anonymousreply 192August 8, 2020 4:41 AM

Ted Bessel was a fugly ginger. He was never close to being handsome.

by Anonymousreply 193August 8, 2020 5:24 AM

Why was she winking at herself in the window? Made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 194August 8, 2020 5:24 AM

R193, Plus, he had major gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 195August 8, 2020 5:36 AM

After "That Girl", didn't Ted Bessell star in a sitcom with a chimpanzee?

by Anonymousreply 196August 8, 2020 5:38 AM

R196, Who greenlighted this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 8, 2020 5:47 AM

Me and the Chimp! Elizabeth from The Waltons was on that show. So was Anita Gilette, who was later on Quincy (as Quincy's gf). LOVE!

by Anonymousreply 198August 8, 2020 5:53 AM

God i hated that show, represented ev thing awful about the middle working class faking hysterical glee for a raise, for a bf, for a new dress.

That loud laff track! ye gads.

thx for nothing ms thomas, madame to the ill.

by Anonymousreply 199August 8, 2020 11:43 AM

[quote]Why was she winking at herself in the window? Made no sense.

It was an allusion to Ann's past in white-slavery.

Of course, the censors would n't let them come out and say that.

by Anonymousreply 200August 8, 2020 12:33 PM

Yea, she was a loud shrieky bitch on the make. several in every office, but she was over the top and incredibly gross.

by Anonymousreply 201August 8, 2020 1:22 PM

R164

You're maybe thinking of Bewitched which began in 1964 first two seasons in black and white.

This or maybe like many others because so much PR and other photographs for That Girl were taken in black and white (why I don't know), people assume the show wasn't in color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 8, 2020 1:40 PM

You couldn't call it "That Girl" today. Probable not even "That Woman." Maybe "That Non-Binary Person."

by Anonymousreply 203August 8, 2020 1:52 PM

Easier to print in newspapers and magazines and cheaper to print up as publicity photos, r202.

by Anonymousreply 204August 8, 2020 1:57 PM

How much is her take from that hospital she shills for?

by Anonymousreply 205August 8, 2020 1:59 PM

R205 She doesn't "shill" for them. Her father founded St. Jude's and she is its chairman. She doesn't get paid to shill for them.

Listen, you may hate her and she may be a total cunt, but St. Jude's is an excellent organization and you have to hand it to her for continuing her father's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 206August 8, 2020 2:02 PM

All primetime shows were in color the year "That Girl" premiered.

by Anonymousreply 207August 8, 2020 2:03 PM

i bet u my wages she gets a hefty paycheck for whatever it is she does for them....

by Anonymousreply 208August 8, 2020 2:06 PM

You lost R208.

As a not for profit you can read their annual reports, not only is she not paid but she set up a nice endowment for the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 209August 8, 2020 2:13 PM

how naive of u....

by Anonymousreply 210August 8, 2020 2:20 PM

[quote] As a not for profit you can read their annual reports, not only is she not paid but she set up a nice endowment for the hospital.

Everybody knows that Marlo goes to the room of each individual child and shakes down the parents for cold, hard cash.

"Would you like a picture of me with your child? I'll do a selfie." SNAP "That will be $200. If you don't pay, you're not getting your child back."

by Anonymousreply 211August 8, 2020 2:24 PM

R209, I'm sure Marlo has an expense account through St. Jude that covers her airfare, hotels, office expenses, etc.

by Anonymousreply 212August 8, 2020 2:45 PM

How many sets of eyelashes did Marlo wear as Ann Marie?

by Anonymousreply 213August 8, 2020 2:47 PM

R212 Why not read their annual reports in order to be sure about the things you seem sure about.

by Anonymousreply 214August 8, 2020 3:00 PM

[Quote]You couldn't call it "That Girl" today. Probable not even "That Woman."

Today, you would call it "Her!" or in the New York accent, "Hurh!"

by Anonymousreply 215August 8, 2020 3:19 PM

Ted Bessell gives me Barron from Corbin Fisher vibes. Especially when he's bent over with a hot guy behind him.

Maybe Barron's his long-lost grandson! Ted would be so proud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 8, 2020 3:23 PM

R214, For a non-profit organization, these St. Jude salaries are obscene:

$1,249,628:  Thomas E Merchant, Chair $1,087,044:  James Downing, President and CEO, Ex-Officio Director $1,002,230:  Ching-Hon Pui, Chair $  938,849:  David Ellison, Chair $  926,684:  Leslie L Robison, Chair $  894,215:  Charles M Roberts, EVP/Director Cancer Center $  868,643:  Richard Shadyac, Ex-Officio Director $  794,456:  Elaine I Tuomanen, Chair $  793,407:  Carlos Rodriguez-Galindo, EVP/Chair $  736,869:  Mary Anna Quinn, EVP/Chief Admin Officer $  716,462:  William E Evans, Faculty and Former Press and CEO $  643,897:  James I Morgan, EVP/Scientific Director $  629,068:  Pat Keel, SVP/CFO $  563,371:  Larry Kun, Former EVP, Clinical Director $  483,563:  Michael C Canarios, Former SVP/CFO

by Anonymousreply 217August 8, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote]Ching-Hon Pui, Chair $ 938,849

Sum Ting Wong with that!

by Anonymousreply 218August 8, 2020 3:44 PM

R217, I have to agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 219August 8, 2020 3:46 PM

folks on the payroll of non profits make tons! scam!

by Anonymousreply 220August 8, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote]folks on the payroll of non profits make tons! scam!

Executives on the payroll of non profits make tons! The people who do all the grunt work made next to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 221August 8, 2020 3:51 PM

Are non profits taxed?

by Anonymousreply 222August 8, 2020 3:58 PM

What was Ann's ethnicity supposed to be? Marie is such a weird surname - sounds French but I always thought her dad seemed vaguely Italian.

by Anonymousreply 223August 8, 2020 4:03 PM

Im sure tht hosp does alot of good... but non profits are known often to be quagmires of corruption

by Anonymousreply 224August 8, 2020 4:13 PM

"Im sure tht hosp does alot of good..."

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 225August 8, 2020 4:33 PM

R162, why does she have a ring light sitting on her head?

by Anonymousreply 226August 8, 2020 4:48 PM

Finally read her butler's book, she really that bitchy???

by Anonymousreply 227August 8, 2020 6:03 PM

Well she didnt sue him over it did she...

by Anonymousreply 228August 8, 2020 6:09 PM

Twinkies

Ho-Hos

Ring Dings

Fat girl!

by Anonymousreply 229August 8, 2020 6:21 PM

Alwys seemd odd that Phil Donahue married her. She not seem like his type.

by Anonymousreply 230August 8, 2020 6:27 PM

The 3rd season has been a hoot so far. Can't wait for the 4th.

by Anonymousreply 231August 8, 2020 6:32 PM

r192 At that time pretty much 100% of TV production was in California. That's where the studio facilities were. It was only in the '80s when gradually more productions moved to places like New York, Vancouver, and Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 232August 8, 2020 6:58 PM

I think The Cosby Show was one of the first to return to filming in NYC. Other than Saturday Night Live, NYC hadn't been a sitcom filming location since the late 50s/early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 233August 8, 2020 7:23 PM

Patty Duke was only sixteen when production of The Patty Duke Show began, and thus it was decided to film the show in New York City at the Chelsea Studios in Manhattan. New York's child labor laws were more liberal than California's--especially that state's Coogan Law (named after child actor Jackie Coogan), which regulated the working conditions of child actors. Filming in New York City allowed Duke to work more hours per day, an advantage since she pretty much carried the show. Duke turned eighteen during filming of the final (1965 to 1966) season, and although the season started in New York City, the whole production was moved to Hollywood by season's end much to the chagrin of Duke, who wished to stay in New York City. Nevertheless, the setting of the series remained the same Brooklyn Heights neighborhood it had always been.

by Anonymousreply 234August 8, 2020 8:15 PM

The last season's opening was a little racier:

Dental damns, dildos

Marines, scat scene

Cut poles, glory holes

An adult book store

That whore!

by Anonymousreply 235August 8, 2020 8:21 PM

Nothing totally out of line with compensation posted for those various positions at St. Jude's. In fact middle to high six figures is not uncommon for various such entities from hospitals to college/universities and others. Though you'll find some at low six figure number as well.

Look up Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, or any of the large and or famous not for profit hospitals/major charities in USA and you'll find pretty much the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236August 8, 2020 10:45 PM

Kate and Allie was the first R233. Cosby came later that year.

by Anonymousreply 237August 8, 2020 10:50 PM

At r155, does anyone know which street corner used for her name (0:19), the street she's running from towards the fountain (0:22), and where that particular skyscraper is located? (0:30)

It all looks so recognizable, but I can't pinpoint it.

by Anonymousreply 238August 9, 2020 12:37 AM

Okay, I found out. It's the Seagram Building at 375 Park Avenue, between East 52nd and 53rd Streets.

The corner with her name - still don't know.

by Anonymousreply 239August 9, 2020 12:52 AM

R155

For those who thought late Carol O'Connor was only capable of playing world's most famous bigot from Queens NYC; that was "Archie Bunker" in that episode of That Girl!

Mr. O'Connor actually earned his masters degree in speech (1956), and was far from the ignorant buffoon Archie Bunker as you could get.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 9, 2020 1:39 AM

These are the two episodes on tonight:

SEASON 2 • EPISODE 25 • DETECTIVE STORY • COMEDY / SITCOM

A handsome detective spends the night in Ann's apartment to trap a crank telephone caller. Ann: Marlo Thomas. Don: Ted Bessell. Mandel: Hal Buckley...

SEASON 2 • EPISODE 26 • IF YOU WERE ALMOST THE ONLY MAN IN THE WORLD • COMEDY / SITCOM

Romantic complications ensue when Ann goes to a doctor who looks exactly like Don. Ann: Marlo Thomas. Don/Rex: Ted Bessell...

by Anonymousreply 241August 9, 2020 2:23 AM

These are the two episodes on tonight:

SEASON 2 • EPISODE 25 • DETECTIVE STORY • COMEDY / SITCOM

A handsome detective spends the night in Ann's apartment to trap a crank telephone caller. Ann: Marlo Thomas. Don: Ted Bessell. Mandel: Hal Buckley...

SEASON 2 • EPISODE 26 • IF YOU WERE ALMOST THE ONLY MAN IN THE WORLD • COMEDY / SITCOM

Romantic complications ensue when Ann goes to a doctor who looks exactly like Don. Ann: Marlo Thomas. Don/Rex: Ted Bessell...

by Anonymousreply 242August 9, 2020 2:23 AM

All the episodes above are cute. The detective who spends the night in Ann's apartment I found very hot for some reason. The one where Don plays two characters is also really cute. And the Carrol O'Conner episode is funny, O'Conner is really good as the Italian opera singer.

Does anybody else find Lou Marie absolutely insufferable?

by Anonymousreply 243August 9, 2020 2:34 AM

R235

Ann Marie in that opening clip seems to be making her north up from Grand Central Terminal (logical since that is where New Haven RR trains went in 1960's) towards the Seagram Building at Park avenue between 52nd and 53rd.

Am not 100% sure but corner you are speaking of seems to be south east between 52nd and 51st on Park which is now 345 Park Avenue.

This was the site of old Ambassador Hotel which became Sheraton-East that was demolished in 1966.

Focus on Seagram Building was because in pilot episode (which IIRC was never shown on television), that is where Ann Marie worked as Donald H. In fact this how they met, working in same building. Early on (again via not aired pilot) Ann Marie orginally lived at home with her parents in Brewster, and commuted into work. She decided it would be better living in Manhattan as would give better chances to focus on her acting career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 9, 2020 2:36 AM

More...

If you scroll down through pictures provided in my previous link you'll see Ann Marie crossing Park and 52nd street (presumabely on way to Seagram building), but building in background looks nothing like 345 Park Avenue does today.

Unless film crew put up fake signs (you can clearly see in pictures Park Avenue and East 52nd), for the shoot what is in background would be the old Hotel Ambassador (by then Sheraton-East).

We know that building came down in 1966, which is same year That Girl premiered on television. We don't see any signs of construction and indeed it looks as if building/hotel is still up and running. That could only mean all NYC street scenes (which were only filmed the once) were done early in 1966 if not maybe in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 245August 9, 2020 2:44 AM

This is my personal favorite Marlo Thomas TV moment:

Her unforgettable interview with Stuttering John, alongside Gloria Steinem, for The Howard Stern Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 9, 2020 2:55 AM

Is there a nightmare episode where Lew comes out of a cake. I saw it as a boy and it has haunted my life. Like The Little Rascals with the woman's head on an animal body.

by Anonymousreply 247August 9, 2020 2:55 AM

R217, those are typical salaries at large institutions. St Jude's is huge. You'll also find that medical doctors make even more when they take on administrative positions. They need specific expertise and you have to pay for that.

I looked up non-profits in DC maybe 20 years ago - I was checking out a specific one and went down a rabbit hole of research into top positions at non-profits. Many of these were small non-profits akin to the Left Elbow Arthritis Society of which there are hundreds in DC and the metro area. They were all pulling in salaries of $200k and more - sometimes way more. I realized then that the housing prices in DC would always keep climbing into infinity. Many of these administrative jobs are simple managerial in nature and I never bought that the high salaries were necessary. But there they are and as long as you have a majority of the board of directors on your side you can last a very long time in a cushy job.

by Anonymousreply 248August 9, 2020 3:17 AM

If passed into law something along what Obama did for health insurance companies, forcing them to spend majority of revenue on their mission or give excess back; number of not for profits would rapidly dwindle.

"Administrative salaries and fundraising expenses are generally expected to take 25-35 percent of a given budget. These expenses might be higher but, generally, a nonprofit can avoid raising operational integrity questions if it spends more than 50 percent of its income on executing its mission. This rule is as much to assure potential donors as to assuage IRS concerns. A nonprofit must account for the percentage of its expenses each year by filling out IRS form 990 or a variation thereof. By carefully preparing the backup documents for the form, a nonprofit can assure both its potential donors and the IRS of its operational integrity."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 9, 2020 3:27 AM

It's easy to legally label part or all of some positions as "executing their mission." There's a whole world of consultants and accountants expert in the nonprofit world to accomplish this.

by Anonymousreply 250August 9, 2020 4:31 AM

R238 / 239 -- the corner with her name in the season one opening is the west side of 48th and Park - the building is still there, see the link -- the building behind it seems to have had it's glass facade updated but still had the same shape. As R244 pointed out, Marlo then runs past the now demolished Ambassador Hotel and crosses 52nd on the east side of Park and enters the plaza of the Seagram Building. The next shot is the side of Lever House on the west side of 53rd and Park. The shot where she and Donald feed the birds could be the low stone planter in the Lever House courtyard, but the cars seem too close. After the UN is a shot of Hampshire House and Essex House on Central Park South through the trees of the park. I can't place the arched building in the shot of the horse drawn carriage -- I thought it might be the Pierre Hotel on 61st and Fifth, but it doesn't match. Given all the other shots are in that vicinity and that is the corner of the Park where the hansom cabs operate I checked up and down Madison, Park and 5th on google maps but no dice -- it was likely near there, but has been demolished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 9, 2020 4:43 AM

As soon as I posted the above, it hit me -- that was the Savoy Plaza Hotel, on 59th and Fifth, demolished in 1965; site of the current GM Building / Apple Store Glass Cube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 9, 2020 4:50 AM

Anyone who waatches that show regularly needs to see a shrink.

Love how Stern disses the shit out of her....HIGHlarious

by Anonymousreply 253August 9, 2020 8:46 AM

R251

At first thought same as yourself, building was on west side of Park at 48th; then wondered why Ann Marie would be walking up west side of street then going over to east where Seagram building is located.

Myself would have gone up east side of Park from start coming out of GCT. But now that one remembers there are ways in/out of GCT along west side of Park or even towards Madison. AM could have come from that direction and made her way north, but would have had to cross street at some point

We discussed Savoy-Plaza hotel in another DL thread (about now demolished Vanderbilt mansions on Fifth).

by Anonymousreply 254August 9, 2020 10:37 AM

What a pity that Savoy-Plaza hotel was replaced with that ugly GM building.

by Anonymousreply 255August 9, 2020 1:20 PM

What a pity her nose was subjected to 5 operations....the nostrils are so fukd up.

by Anonymousreply 256August 9, 2020 1:32 PM

She comes off well in that Stuttering John bit.

by Anonymousreply 257August 9, 2020 1:52 PM

?????

by Anonymousreply 258August 9, 2020 2:06 PM

Thanks, r244, r245, r251, and 252! So much of old New York is still recognizable today. I love how if you were suddenly dropped in 1950s or 60s New York, you could still figure out your way based on identifiable buildings alone.

by Anonymousreply 259August 9, 2020 3:45 PM

On one episode, I recall Ann and Don both taking a day to see the sights that draw tourists to NYC but many residents never visit.

by Anonymousreply 260August 9, 2020 4:04 PM

Whaat kind of people watch a show about a psychotic junkie whore in nyc?

by Anonymousreply 261August 9, 2020 4:08 PM

There’s no way Donald wasn’t fucking Ann. He must have been whacking off constantly

by Anonymousreply 262August 9, 2020 4:56 PM

Maybe they didn’t count anal as real sex.

by Anonymousreply 263August 9, 2020 4:58 PM

Ann Marie only had sex with women. She was Lebanese, you know.

by Anonymousreply 264August 9, 2020 11:18 PM

I loathe Howard Stern. That clip above shows exactly why he should be shunned by anyone in polite society. Marlo Thomas was far more polite to Stuttering John than he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 265August 9, 2020 11:30 PM

R262

Unless Don was sneaking off to 53rd and Third (just a few blocks from his office), or had some FWB girl stashed away, yes it is highly likely after several years of dating Ann Marie they did something. But this was a 1960's sitcom and the suits along with sponsors wanted a nice clean family type show.

Darrin got more action from Samantha while dating (at least they were shown always kissing or whatever), than Don gets from Ann Marie.

Listen to the song because it's true; a man wont take a taxi just to get no place!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266August 10, 2020 12:52 AM

{quote] Marlo is Lebanese and Italian...I grew up with Lebanese girls who had thick, dark hair just like her. So I'd say her hair is real.

Another one for the list...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267August 10, 2020 12:56 AM

[quote]How did she get so rich?

The Danny Thomas line of coffee tables from Havertys Furniture.

by Anonymousreply 268August 10, 2020 12:58 AM

Right after "That Girl" ended, Marlo starred in the movie "Jenny" with Alan Alda.

There was much publicity about a scene where Marlo breastfed her baby, exposing one tit on camera . . . something Ann Marie would never do.

by Anonymousreply 269August 10, 2020 4:47 AM

Maybe MT wanted to stretch and grow as an actress after years of playing goody-two-shoes Ann Marie.

IIRC one of Elizabeth Montgomery's first roles after leaving Bewitched was playing a rape victim.

by Anonymousreply 270August 10, 2020 5:00 AM

the rumors of danny thomas in various books, bout how he laid under glass tables masturbating, while nude women above him shat.

by Anonymousreply 271August 10, 2020 6:13 AM

Marlo's farts on set were said to be ghastly and migraine provoking.

Daddys girl...

by Anonymousreply 272August 10, 2020 6:31 AM

Non Profits pay execs and other employees normal wages for their positions. They are paid to run the non profit in order to turn profits back into the charity and encourage fundraising. They have to compete with private industry in hiring the best people. I worked for the YMCA at one time.

by Anonymousreply 273August 10, 2020 6:43 AM

Years ago, I had a girlfriend who worked for a local non-profit. I was shocked when she intimated to me that the man in charge at the local chapter routinely divvied up the donated food and meats donated to the mission by area restaurants. She also said that he'd hand out cash on Fridays every now and then, telling them to take the rest of the day off and go do some shopping. She said that everyone had their hands in the cookie jar. I bet this is the case more often than not.

by Anonymousreply 274August 10, 2020 11:08 AM

Hundreds of millions flow into that hospital she is spokeswoman for.

One will never know wehre it all goes...

by Anonymousreply 275August 10, 2020 12:03 PM

Ann Marie didn't put out. That's why her acting career never took off.

by Anonymousreply 276August 10, 2020 1:03 PM

Glad you find the show charming, OP. One way in which it wasn't stereotypical is that That Girl was a bit stupid.

"Oh, Donald!," indeed.

by Anonymousreply 277August 10, 2020 1:27 PM

sHOWS LIKE THIS WER responsible for the dumming down of america, teeveee....the great brain drainer.

by Anonymousreply 278August 10, 2020 1:43 PM

Even as a child I thought it was insulting. She doesn't seem to have been able to so much as brush her teeth without the sage advice of Donald! or Daddy!

by Anonymousreply 279August 10, 2020 1:45 PM

Asshole shows like hers taught women to be fake and big consumers and shop till they dropped.

It was a creation of madison avenue....as were many others.

by Anonymousreply 280August 10, 2020 1:51 PM

If you thought That Girl was demeaning to women you should’ve seen what preceded it.

by Anonymousreply 281August 10, 2020 2:06 PM

In interviews Thomas always makes a point of saying Ann Marie was the first 'liberated' woman, but that's not really true, From the first episode, she had a boyfriend, and her parents were near enough to always be dropping by.

I vote for Mary Richards as having been TV's first truly independent woman.

Some commentator even went so far as to compare the opening sequences. Starting with Season 2, THAT GIRL shows train tracks, implying Ann took the train from Brewster to Manhattan, yet was still metaphorically tied to her family, Mary Richards, OTOH, is shown driving a car, the very symbol of mid-century American liberation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282August 10, 2020 2:30 PM

It was like the film "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever."

The main character is a young woman who has no money or a regular job. But has a walk-in closet FULL of very expensive clothing, including couture hats that perfectly complement her outfits.

by Anonymousreply 283August 10, 2020 2:30 PM

R282 MTM came AFTER TG.

So, of course, it's going to be more "liberated."

But MTM was made possible by TG showing a female lead of a sitcom living alone and trying to work for a living, not be a wife.

by Anonymousreply 284August 10, 2020 2:32 PM

Speaking of the opening sequence, as an obsessive little gayling, I was always put off by the fact that the train was traveling on the 'wrong' side of the tracks, the left, not the right. (Maybe Ann was commuting into Tokyo?). I guess they filmed it from the last car and then ran the film backwards, but it always bugged me.

And yes, when I finally moved to NY and was walking home to my apartment on the West Side late one rainy night, I did the Marlo Thomas Umbrella Twirl though the signs at Lincoln Center (it was most definitely NOT a parasol)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285August 10, 2020 2:35 PM

r284 There were single "career gals" before that -- Ann Sothern in "Private Secretary," for example.

by Anonymousreply 286August 10, 2020 2:47 PM

Marlo has bad vibes, she looks like someone who would stab anyone in the neck to get ahead.....scarey broad

by Anonymousreply 287August 10, 2020 2:47 PM

R285 When watching that opening sequence, I am struck by how ahead-of-its-time the editing was.

There are a lot of very quick cuts more associated with the MTV-era than mid-60s sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 288August 10, 2020 2:58 PM

I never noticed the train thing, but I think you are absolutely right: They filmed it from the back and played it backward.

by Anonymousreply 289August 10, 2020 2:58 PM

True story, i knew a gal,joanne, in LA who was georgous, one of her sugar daddys got her an audition at paramount to be a small role on the that girl show... she got the role, but M Thomas vetoed it as joanne was hella more pretty than her.

u wont find pretty gals on the show, ms thomas had to be the only one. tho she more resembled a tranny...

by Anonymousreply 290August 10, 2020 3:08 PM

Ann Sothern was truly the first independent career woman on a TV sitcom. First in the 50s and later in the early 60s on Private Secretary (aka Susie) and the Ann Sothern Show she lived on her own and held down a responsible job. No boyfriend and no father to guide her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 10, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote]If you thought That Girl was demeaning to women you should’ve seen what preceded it.

True. I Love Lucy was an interesting show. Ricky one time spanked her like a child. And when he got mad at her and started giving orders, she would call him, "Sir." However, was she treated like this because she was childish? You never saw Ethel being spanked or calling her husband, "Sir."

by Anonymousreply 292August 10, 2020 3:28 PM

Exactly R291, and while Southern's two series situationally may have some more dated attitudes (from an earlier period than That Girl), Southern was self-directed, held her own, and got on with things without fuss or need for explanation or apology. She took her position among and above her male colleagues in stride. Even when I found this twenty years out of date it seemed modern in its perspective.

by Anonymousreply 293August 10, 2020 3:57 PM

Sothern had a roommate but no boyfriend. MTM was the first true independent woman on her own. Sothern was stuck with a lot of feminine wiles type story lines. MTM was much more contemporary. Marlo Thomas is such a gas bag about being a pioneer---she wasn't and MTM's show was predicated on CBS being interested in her not on anything else. The writing/producing staff was completely different.

by Anonymousreply 294August 10, 2020 6:38 PM

The Lucy Show debuted in 1962. Didn't they make it known that Viv was divorced? Even MTM wouldn't go so far as being divorced.

by Anonymousreply 295August 10, 2020 11:17 PM

Viv wasn't the lead, R295.

by Anonymousreply 296August 10, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote]Viv wasn't the lead, [R295].

Yes, she was. They just called it The Lucy Show because Lucy was a bitch that way.

by Anonymousreply 297August 10, 2020 11:28 PM

Sothern had a roommate on her first show but not on her second. (The same actress became Sothern's secretary). And her kooky roommate was played for laughs only. Sothern was in charge of her home life and office, especially in the second series in which she was the manager of a Manhattan luxury hotel.

by Anonymousreply 298August 10, 2020 11:30 PM

Sothern had an unrequited love on both shows (the Don Porter role)

by Anonymousreply 299August 11, 2020 12:01 AM

Did Ann Sothern have a recurring role in The Lucy Show? Seems like I remember her being on there a lot.

by Anonymousreply 300August 11, 2020 12:34 AM

Yes, she was the "Countess Framboise" (raspberry?) on The Lucy Show.

by Anonymousreply 301August 11, 2020 12:55 AM

Opening train sequence was shot on (then) PRR mainline (now owned by Amtrak) between Portal bridge and North River tunnels at Weehawken,NJ.

It seems as if the train is heading westbound on eastbound track and footage was likely shot from fireman's side in cab car of a PRR MU MP-54 .

If you look closely New Jersey Turnpike is on the right, and you can see a RR bridge in foreground over old Erie-Lackawanna line in Secaucus, NJ where there is a Amtrak transfer station now.

From link provided you can see now over forty years later that same area is very much built up....

If look really carefully that bridge far left background is the Pulaski Skyway. On other side in far right background is smokestack from old Laurel Hill Sanatorium. Erie-Lackawanna made their money hauling coal, and LHS was one of their customers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302August 11, 2020 12:57 AM

I thought the Pulaski Skyway was in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 303August 11, 2020 1:02 AM

To all you girls who know/grew up in Brewster or any where else up that way would have spotted at once train supposedly taking Ann Marie into city couldn't have been New York Central RR (then) Harlem Line (now Metro North).

Trains from Brewster come down through Bronx, into Harlem and down Park Avenue to Grand Central Terminal.

Pennsylvania RR and New York Central RR hated each other's guts; and thus there was no way a train from New Jersey (PRR) would end up on New York Central's tracks going into GCT.

Likely would have made things easier for RFK's funeral train from NYC to Washington, DC if casket could have been taken right down to GCT from Saint Patrick's cathedral, instead of having to go downtown and over to Penn Station.

There is a way for trains out of Grand Central Terminal to get to Penn Station (or vice versa), it is how FDR got from Washington, DC to New York City at Grand Central Terminal and onto Waldorf Astoria hotel or wherever he was going.

by Anonymousreply 304August 11, 2020 1:29 AM

R303

Nope, it isn't.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305August 11, 2020 1:33 AM

I recall MTM and her producers always making a big deal out of how different and more realistic Mary Richards was to the 1970s single working female image, compared to the Ann Marie one of the ‘60s. That’s why I found it ironic when near the end of the MYM Show run they had Mary dating Marlo’s 1960s sitcom boyfriend, so to speak!

Also I found it so jarring the way that they hyper-modernized Ann’s look in the show’s last season including with the sudden mod hairdo and wardrobe change—much like they suddenly did all at once in the last seasons around the same time of I Dream Of Jeannie winter h Eden’s character and in Bewitched with Montgomery’s.

by Anonymousreply 306August 11, 2020 2:31 AM

^"...same time of I Dream of Jeannie with Eden's character..." --Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 307August 11, 2020 2:53 AM

R306

Besides bowing to political reality in real world, studio suits had other reasons for giving into various sitcom actresses going "mod" so to speak.

In case of Bewitched Elizabeth Montgomery truly did not want to do the final seasons (before show as cancelled anyway). Studio kept throwing money at EM and her husband to remain, so they did. However EM could be said pulled some very passive aggressive behavior in those final episodes. In fact most of the time it seems as if she was just phoning things in; this was made a bit easier in that towards the end Bewitched kept reusing old scripts.

Sam got rid of the bouffant hair style and let her hair grown out. This was in keeping with many women in real life late 1960's and into 1970's. Out went the dressmaker suits, and cute sleeveless dresses, and in came hot pants, mini skirts and go-go boots. Oh and if you look closely in many later episodes Sam isn't wearing a bra either.

However keep in mind that 1960's and 1970's it was still common for young women to marry by their late teens or early twenties, and have their children before age 30. By time they were in their thirties most had done with baby making and were just busy wives and mothers of school aged children. Since they were still young it would be natural for them to want to wear "young" fashions.

Even "Gloria" on All In The Family grew out that horrid Shirley Temple curls hairstyle and went with long hair.

by Anonymousreply 308August 11, 2020 7:10 AM

omg, the geography of trivial cathode ray gas bag shows.

by Anonymousreply 309August 11, 2020 10:27 AM

On the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" episodes, Lucy's updated hairstyle was much more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 310August 11, 2020 2:27 PM

[quote]Also I found it so jarring the way that they hyper-modernized Ann’s look in the show’s last season including with the sudden mod hairdo and wardrobe change

She didn't even look like the same person. It made her look much more harsh and bossy.

by Anonymousreply 311August 11, 2020 3:12 PM

I didn't realize that Bewitched actually started before That Girl. I always thought That Girl came first.

by Anonymousreply 312August 12, 2020 2:46 AM

Are they planning to reboot it as "That Gurl"?

by Anonymousreply 313August 12, 2020 2:58 AM

Has any interviewer ever brought up the Danny Thomas glass coffee tables rumor to Marlo?

by Anonymousreply 314August 12, 2020 7:04 AM

tonight I saw the family episode--Terre Thomas, Tony Thomas, and a cameo by Danny himself.

by Anonymousreply 315August 12, 2020 7:33 AM

R315, The writers also used Marlo's mother's maiden name, Cassaniti, in the script.

by Anonymousreply 316August 12, 2020 11:19 AM

r315 Danny played a priest in the episode and Marlo addressed him as Father. Her untalented sister without the nose job played a nun.

by Anonymousreply 317August 12, 2020 11:57 PM

I checked out 'That Girl and Phil' from the library today and have gotten about 2/3rds through it. So glad I didn't buy it...the chapters are very short and you know how the story's going to end every single chapter: Marlo was/probably still is a See You Next Tuesday, always calling her house staff "fucking idiots," and then she'd use her baby "Ann Marie" voice when she sheepishly came back 30 minutes later to apologize, begging them not to quit. The author was, however, "kind enough" to include pre-nose-job pics of Marlo when she was a teenager and still going by Margaret. Talk about a schnoz...she looked just like her father. The wonders the nose job, false eyelashes, good makeup, and a hair straightener did.

by Anonymousreply 318August 14, 2020 4:32 AM

R318, The Thanksgiving dinner anecdote is classic.

by Anonymousreply 319August 14, 2020 4:36 AM

This isn't one of the pics in the book, but this is Marlo with Danny. There's no way she grew out of that nose...she might've had two surgeries to whittle it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320August 14, 2020 4:36 AM

R319, I had to take a break from the book after the Thanksgiving chapter. I was cringing...poor Phil and his sweet family having to deal with Marlo's psychotic tantrum over the turkey.

by Anonymousreply 321August 14, 2020 4:38 AM

R320, Is that an appropriate embrace for a father and a grown daughter?

by Anonymousreply 322August 14, 2020 4:56 AM

For our "tasteful friends", power television couple Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas former estate in Westport, CT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 14, 2020 6:14 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324August 14, 2020 6:15 AM

That's a beautiful place

by Anonymousreply 325August 14, 2020 7:30 AM

Phil is said to fear her, her temper and fits are scarey evidently....i alwys loved his show, shame he got captured by her. real shame.

by Anonymousreply 326August 14, 2020 11:40 AM

Her nose is painful to observe, my friend, a surgeon, says she has had at least 4 operations on it, possibly six.

These women get fixated on their face and have procedures done till they are ..... messes. the nostrils are impossible to get similar.

by Anonymousreply 327August 14, 2020 11:41 AM

It's "scary." That's twice someone has spelled it as "scarey" in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 328August 14, 2020 11:49 AM

R323 It's a pretty house in a nice setting.

It is staged like a beach rental.

The summer views are very nice, but think how bleak it would be in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 329August 14, 2020 12:33 PM

The house has too many rooflines.

by Anonymousreply 330August 14, 2020 4:29 PM

Last night I saw the slapstick episode where Lou gets bitten by a dog that he's afraid is rabid. Huge cast in and out of Ann's apartment.

by Anonymousreply 331August 14, 2020 5:59 PM

Alwys found her fake and weird, like she is a puppet that someone else controls. her face for the world is sugar n nice, but i feel at home she is ....frightening.

by Anonymousreply 332August 15, 2020 5:03 PM

Last night's episode was a sort of odd one--where Ann finds a "homeless" black boy in a supermarket and takes him to her apartment. (He turns out to be rich.) It was an effort by the series to be 'woke' by 1969 standards. It was kind of cute and kind of cringeworthy, but nice try I guess.

by Anonymousreply 333August 15, 2020 8:02 PM

That Girl and Bewitched turned into nightmares when they tried to be socially aware of the changing times. They were of a completely different era that changed in a year. Imagine I Love Lucy or My Three Sons preaching about social issues.

by Anonymousreply 334August 15, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote]Imagine I Love Lucy or My Three Sons preaching about social issues.

I Love Lucy didn't have to. They had a Cuban as the male lead and Spanish was spoken quite frequently on the program. There was even an episode where Lucy goes to meet Ricky's parents in Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 335August 15, 2020 11:34 PM

R335, And there was that episode in the third season dealing with Fred's erectile dysfunction.

by Anonymousreply 336August 15, 2020 11:41 PM

And the episode where Lucy takes Fred for a prostate exam and through complications ends up in disguise as the doctor who has to do it.

by Anonymousreply 337August 16, 2020 12:33 AM

Don't you DARE marginalize my abortion!!!

by Anonymousreply 338August 16, 2020 1:54 AM

What about the ep where Lucy and Ethel are disguised as dirty hobos in need of a hot shower at the YMCA, and they stumble upon glory holes and foot-tapping in the bathroom? I distinctly recall Lucy turning to Ethel--both were wearing faux mustaches, overalls, and hats, of course--and saying, "Gosh, Ethel...these gentleman deserve better than this. A man loving a man is not wrong. Dare I say, we should all be, "Free to Be You and Me!"

by Anonymousreply 339August 16, 2020 6:16 AM

Marlo Thomas's first nose job was a very good move. Maybe the second one was too.

She's had several.

Before the first:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 16, 2020 6:35 AM

Also before the first nose job:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341August 16, 2020 6:36 AM

Post nose job #1, although it looks like she had another before That Girl started because ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342August 16, 2020 6:39 AM

She debuted with something even narrower and less droopy.

And kept getting adjustments into her old age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 16, 2020 6:40 AM

R343, I believe you're correct about the two nose jobs before 'That Girl'. She was 29 when she started the show, so that's plenty of time to have honed down that schnoz. I'm surprised she didn't have those "Before" pics scrubbed from the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 344August 16, 2020 6:44 AM

That Black Girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345August 16, 2020 6:47 AM

Did she also have lip work done? Because in r342, her smile is a bit gummy.

by Anonymousreply 346August 16, 2020 7:04 AM

Seems like she had a LOT of work done between her teen years and That Girl.

There's much more that's different between R340 and R343 than a couple of nose jobs and a loss of baby fat.

Add a chin job to the list. Look at the projection at R340/R341 that is gone at R342.

Did she have a facelift? She looks almost jowly at R340. She had her whole face damn near reconstructed. Skillfully, I might add!

by Anonymousreply 347August 16, 2020 7:10 AM

Yes, the work she had done was good work.

by Anonymousreply 348August 16, 2020 7:39 AM

Tonight's episode was with the very handsome Robert Colbert as Major Baird James. Yummy. Donald was jealous.

by Anonymousreply 349August 16, 2020 7:39 AM

The entire series is on Amazon Prime, free if you're a member.

by Anonymousreply 350August 16, 2020 9:50 AM

The whole show is ruined now for me.

Every time Ann says, "Oh, DONALD!" I think of that orange turd in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 351August 16, 2020 1:11 PM

The planned all-Black-cast remake of "That Girl" is to be entitled, "Gurrl, You Think You All That?"

by Anonymousreply 352August 16, 2020 4:00 PM

I appreciate that Donald Hollinger always wore rather right pants. Often you could see the outline of his boxer shorts. Not that I was looking, mind you.

by Anonymousreply 353August 16, 2020 10:23 PM

You saw him in his boxers in Same Time Next Year.

by Anonymousreply 354August 17, 2020 2:27 AM

You see Don in his boxers on the episode I watched tonight. Ann sees a mouse in her apartment and so goes to sleep at Don's apartment while he stays in her place. The next morning, there's a knock at the door and Don runs to answer it in his boxer shorts. For a brief moment one can detect quite a bulge.

by Anonymousreply 355August 17, 2020 6:11 AM

Our family always thought that Donald was not cute enough for Ann Marie.

by Anonymousreply 356August 17, 2020 6:17 AM

R355 I always assumed Donald and Ann Marie were having sex even though I was a youngin'.

by Anonymousreply 357August 17, 2020 6:24 AM

He's a cute as she is, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 358August 17, 2020 6:26 AM

Oh, PHFFFFFAAAAATTT, R356! The guy was adorkable!

by Anonymousreply 359August 17, 2020 6:30 AM

R359 No. I'm sorry, but NO.

by Anonymousreply 360August 17, 2020 6:53 AM

I seem to remember that when That Girl started re-airing on cable in the early '90s (Comedy Central or Nick at Nite?) and re-ented the consciousness, Sandra Bernhard did a bit (on some HBO special or one of her Comedy Central hosting gigs) about her planned remake of the show called That Bitch.

I remember it being hilarious. But I can't find it.

by Anonymousreply 361August 17, 2020 7:41 AM

Marlo was close to her godmother, Loretta Young. I'm surprised she never worked her into an episode.

They competed against each other at the 1987 Golden Globe Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362August 17, 2020 7:48 AM

She looks like a real old lady who has spend half a million on her fuked up face....they get addicted to it and just keep goin under the knife.

if not being born into the Thomas hospital empire, she would have been cleaning bed pans.

by Anonymousreply 363August 17, 2020 10:56 AM

^^ Thomas hospital empire? Child, you are confused.

Marlo's father, Danny, was a singer/actor/entertainer who became wealthy with his own TV sitcom and produced other shows including Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith. Two of his children, Marlo and Tony, followed him into show biz and both did quite well.

Danny Thomas founded St. Jude's Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., as a nonprofit charity for children. That is the only hospital and it's not an empire.

by Anonymousreply 364August 17, 2020 2:11 PM

[quote] When they showed the building from the outside, there was a highway right outside. It looked kind of desolate.

I remember this too, and it always was a little unnerving. It seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, and not very fitting of a girl about town. I wonder what they were thinking?

Outskirts of NYC?

by Anonymousreply 365August 18, 2020 6:03 AM

R175

The apartment was located off the East River in the Upper East Side, in the upper 70s or lower 80s streets between York Avenue and East End Avenue.

Thus that "highway" seen in background was Franklin D. Roosevelt East River Drive /FDR Drive

That part of UES is called "Yorkville" and much of it looks same as it did when street scenes for That Girl were shot over fifty years ago. There are some new buildings, but mostly the same old tenements and walk-up apartment buildings.

by Anonymousreply 366August 18, 2020 7:32 AM

Think like many women of 1960's "Ann Marie" wore hair when necessary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367August 18, 2020 7:47 AM

R367 OMG! She's wearing a 40-pound wig on TOP of her hair.

by Anonymousreply 368August 18, 2020 1:45 PM

Under her wig its said she has a head covered in gorilla tape to keep that old face pulled up tight, like most actors, but the nose, yea its....unreal. u do have to be real rich to have a face that scarey.

She get a bit of the donations to the hospital str8 off the top?

by Anonymousreply 369August 18, 2020 5:55 PM

Gorilla tape? What? Ducks are too weak?

by Anonymousreply 370August 18, 2020 7:57 PM

R368

Somewhere in back of closets or on shelves many women who lived through 1960's or early 1970's still have wig boxes or other containers full of falls, wiglets, pieces, etc... Then again so do tons of old drag queens who performed during that era.

Some people think AA women wearing hair (weaves) is something new; but it never truly went out of fashion for many women. Even today many hairstylists, though they would rather die than admit it, do a brisk business in washing and styling wigs and hair pieces for well off and or famous women.

by Anonymousreply 371August 19, 2020 3:17 AM

R370

Gorilla Tape is much stronger than average duct tape.

by Anonymousreply 372August 19, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote]Somewhere in back of closets or on shelves many women who lived through 1960's or early 1970's still have wig boxes or other containers full of falls, wiglets, pieces, etc...

In the early 1970s, the mother of a schoolmate wore a fall. It looked terrible because it was a hugely different shade than her normal hair color. I dunno maybe that was the style, but her hair was a light blonde but the fall was much darker.

by Anonymousreply 373August 19, 2020 3:28 AM

Then as now best wigs and hair pieces are made from human hair which can be dyed, permed or whatever else is needed.

Women didn't like human hair pieces because the wigs and so forth would have to be washed, set, combed out and styled same as their own.

Arrival of synthetic hair changed all this, but colors aren't always realistic nor can the things be dyed to match hair color of owner.

Today you see tons of AA and other women wearing hair that in no way remotely resembles their own, you've got two or three different textures going on up there.

Gold standard were then and still are today lace front high quality human hair wigs (think RuPaul). But you're talking about something costing around $3k-$4k up front just for the wig alone.

by Anonymousreply 374August 19, 2020 3:36 AM

In the 1960s, many women owned that same crescent rolls looking hairpiece that they would pin to the back of their head after pulling back their hair as tight as possible.

by Anonymousreply 375August 19, 2020 3:39 AM

Can one of you insiders explain these various hair, make-up and wardrobe tests as seen in R367?

Have seen them for GWTW and other films and few television shows and wondered if they are standard practice across big and small screen films. How involved are make-up artists, hair dressers and wardrobe people. Are these tests referred back to at various points in production or something.

by Anonymousreply 376August 19, 2020 3:45 AM

marlos real hair under her wigs is very sparse, and white. like her puss hair.

poor phil on his knees as she orders him to eat her....arrgghhh.

she has put big whelps on his white buttocks as she beat him, then photographs him, she is a born dom.

by Anonymousreply 377August 19, 2020 11:51 AM

pOLANSKI WOULD never have offered roseMARY BABY TO HER......liar !!!! gimme a brake.....she never DID AN HONEST DAY OF real acting in her Life.....FAKE BROAD

by Anonymousreply 378August 19, 2020 11:57 AM

Did she ever make any guest appearances on her father's show Make Boom For Daddy?

by Anonymousreply 379August 19, 2020 12:16 PM

Get this thread back on track, you screaming queens! It isn't ABOUT hair or wigs or weaves or extensions - it's about MEEEEEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 380August 19, 2020 12:43 PM

Don's hair suddenly becomes blondish-orange halfway through the 3rd season. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 381August 19, 2020 6:41 PM

If you see relaxed picture of Edwardian beauties looking like angels with piles of hair on their heads and falling about their shoulders I wondered if it was all real. Somebody told me it wasn't. They used wigs and falls as well for those photos.

by Anonymousreply 382August 19, 2020 8:06 PM

From the look of the current-day Marlo, she had at least one and probably more nose jobs after That Girl. She should have stopped with the That Girl nose, which was cute. Now her nose looks too pinched and narrow. Without makeup, her nose appears red compared to the rest of her face.

by Anonymousreply 383August 20, 2020 5:27 AM

A Lovelocks wiglet ---My mother and older sister both had them in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 384August 20, 2020 5:29 AM

R382

No, it wasn't always real. Victorian and Edwardian women just like others before and since "wore hair".

That being said you still had the tradition both in Europe, North/South America and elsewhere that women never cut their hair. So many times yes, all that hair piled upon their heads was real. No wonder lice were so common as well...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385August 20, 2020 9:36 AM

See also:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386August 20, 2020 9:38 AM

As to sources of that hair, Sweeney Todd pretty much nails it; insane asylums and convents were prime sources. Also women and girls in destitute situations sold their hair for ready money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387August 20, 2020 9:42 AM

R385 Those are some homely women.

by Anonymousreply 388August 20, 2020 11:40 AM

I was really young when That Girl aired. I thought Marlo was gorgeous and mesmerizing. She's a Scorpio female archetype. The darker features, lush dark mane and the honey and smoke raspy voice.

This is how a nose job should be done. Daddy Danny's honker isn't female friendly.

by Anonymousreply 389August 20, 2020 12:59 PM

In the last third of Season Three and Don and Ann's hair both changed from the last episode. Don's hair is a bit darker and Ann's hair is fuller and more pristinely styled. The wardrobe all of a sudden just got 'mod' as well.

by Anonymousreply 390August 20, 2020 8:29 PM

some hellion yanked her wig off at a hospital shill fundraiser, and she was bald with a few wispy white hairs.

WHERE ARE THOSE PIX?

by Anonymousreply 391August 21, 2020 4:11 AM

Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392August 21, 2020 4:40 AM

marlo woulda been perfecto for that role, wid her white wispy hairs of an olden lady.

by Anonymousreply 393August 21, 2020 5:43 AM

Ted Bessel was just the sort of guy many girls (and guys) in 1960's, 1970's or even now would love to have.

Attractive but not so much he's full of himself, and or your always on guard against some scheming female (or male) after your man.

Sometimes adorkable is a better choice over stunningly handsome. Besides that Don was a steady bloke (or guy) that every mother or parent wanted for their daughter.

by Anonymousreply 394August 21, 2020 1:36 PM

R394, What about his gay voice?

by Anonymousreply 395August 21, 2020 6:41 PM

What about her nasty old face!

by Anonymousreply 396August 23, 2020 7:30 AM

She sounds like Brenda Vaccaro now. I don't think she smoked...

by Anonymousreply 397August 23, 2020 7:25 PM

The clothes have gotten wildly MOD all of a sudden. Don is wearing loud checked pants and Ann's suddenly in midis and maxis, quilt skirts, fringe vests and even a plunging neckline or two.

by Anonymousreply 398August 24, 2020 12:07 AM

R382, women brushed their hair a hundred strokes a night (it was supposed to be good for the hair), and the hair that ended up on the brush was deposited in a “hair receiver.” They collected it and made a “rat” out of it, which was pinned underneath the hair piled up on top of the head. The “rat” was like a hair ball. This acted as the modern day “bump it” does today, to push the hair into a bouffant looking pile on top and make the hair look really voluminous. It was the person’s own hair, so it was a perfect match and invisible. Sarah Palin used to wear plastic bump its, to give you an idea of the look.

Women took pride in their matching vanity table grooming sets. Well off women had them made of silver, poorer women had them made out of milk glass or china or something similar. Later, celluloid was popular. They consisted of a brush, comb, mirror, powder jar and hair receiver. A lot of women had matching perfume decanters, bud vases, trays or other pieces.

Here’s a grouping so you can see what some of the different pieces were like. The powder-puff sized jar with a hole in the top is a hair receiver. The tall thing is for hat pins. The gold hand is to hold rings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399August 24, 2020 3:25 AM

r399 I've got my grandmother's set, pearlized celadon green and gold. Bakelite, maybe? No one in the family wants it, but I hate to toss it.

by Anonymousreply 400August 24, 2020 3:28 AM

R399, people collect those, if you don’t want it put it on Etsy or eBay. It could be celluloid or Bakelite.

by Anonymousreply 401August 24, 2020 3:32 AM

STOP TALKING ABOUT WIGS AND HAIR

by Anonymousreply 402August 24, 2020 7:42 AM

Is there anybody who really has the last name Marie?

by Anonymousreply 403September 3, 2020 1:02 AM

It was a bad joke and the show was stuck with it once it was established.

by Anonymousreply 404September 3, 2020 1:43 AM

anyone looked at the books of that hospital's $$ intake and out flow?

by Anonymousreply 405September 3, 2020 10:35 PM

I trust her as far as phil can throw her...

POOR PHIL, GOTTA LIVE WITH THT HAG

by Anonymousreply 406September 3, 2020 10:47 PM

Marie's not so odd a last name, R403. I'm always amazed at coming upon surnames I've never seen before. The most recent one was Sure.

by Anonymousreply 407September 4, 2020 12:50 AM

^^^ Jan Sure?

Or, as the phone book would list it, Sure, Jan?

by Anonymousreply 408September 4, 2020 2:26 AM

She crooked as a snake.

look at that nose

by Anonymousreply 409September 4, 2020 4:23 AM

R376 / the tests served a number of different functions in pre-production, but it all boils down to tools that help with decision making - usually by the producers and director who are working on a million things at once - consider these “interim summary reports” from the various departments — makeup / wardrobe / sets / effects were often tested so that once you get to production you don’t waste time on small decisions or burn film on things that don’t look right;, there already a known commodity.

In a nutshell things (and people) can look vastly different on screen than they do in person; so these tests showed how various costumes and makeup schemes would look in the finished show - because how things are lit and what film stock is used have a big effect. In the posted That Girl tests you can easily compare half a day of creating different hairstyles in 3 minutes, and unlike stills you see what the hairstyles look like as she moves around. Same with costume tests - often it was to see how a costume moved as well as how it photographed.

by Anonymousreply 410September 4, 2020 6:31 AM

Just started the fifth and final season. Big changes! Lyrics to the theme song. Totally different, mod hairstyle. Seems very fun. Opening episode is about Don proposing and the engagement ring.

by Anonymousreply 411September 23, 2020 1:54 AM

Half way through the 5th season, it has a hilarious epi where Don gets drunk at his bachelor party and it is a Master Class in acting drunk.. The last scenes with Marlo you can see her breaking character and gigling at Ted "drunk." He plays drunk so good. Loved this one.

by Anonymousreply 412September 23, 2020 2:05 AM

R411 needs his head examined. Five years of this drivel.

by Anonymousreply 413September 23, 2020 2:05 AM

My estimation of Ted Bessell has risen immeasurably. He was a damn fine actor!

by Anonymousreply 414September 23, 2020 2:42 AM

And cute!

by Anonymousreply 415September 23, 2020 3:36 PM

He shows bulge on many episodes so there's that!

by Anonymousreply 416September 23, 2020 5:14 PM

In addition to bein the face of that 'hospital'.....she should be the face of Modern Plastic Surgery .....her face is but a mere shadow of the one she was born with.......better? younger? who can say.

Lets ask Phil...

by Anonymousreply 417September 25, 2020 7:50 AM

I remember the bachelor party episode! Wasn't Ann's father in drag as the girl who came out of the cake? It was quite frightening, I recall. He made a really ugly woman.

by Anonymousreply 418September 25, 2020 7:56 AM

Yes, the set up to Ann's father in drag was pretty funny, I didn't see it coming. And ugly FIL as woman was a great punchline to the story.

by Anonymousreply 419September 25, 2020 10:21 PM

That was a bad moment. Now whenever I see him I think of that image. Bad decision on everybody's part. And who the hell ever had a future father in law dressed in drag coming out of a cake?

by Anonymousreply 420September 25, 2020 10:23 PM

"And who the hell ever had a future father in law dressed in drag coming out of a cake?"

Nick Lachey?

by Anonymousreply 421September 26, 2020 5:28 AM

Her nose is non functional. its rumored she breathes thru gills on her puss.

by Anonymousreply 422September 26, 2020 5:28 AM

I just saw an incredibly annoying episode where I wanted to just stuff a sock in Ann's mouth. Geez. She was completely over the top and incredibly annoying. Although she has skated on that edge before, this is the first episode where I though "Donald ought to just hightail it out of there cause she is one annoying bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 423September 26, 2020 6:24 AM

Donald was a saint in some episodes. She was trying to portray a free, independent young woman but there are many episodes where she is short of money and he has to loan or just gift it to her. Poor guy never got any nookie for his troubles, either!

by Anonymousreply 424September 26, 2020 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!