Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Thompson Twins

I’m sure all of you guys went to their concerts. Bonus points if you tell us what you wore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 6, 2020 3:20 AM

The black guy eventually quit and then it was just the white couple.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 1:53 AM

Interesting story, did he really quit? Or was he forced out?

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 1:54 AM

I seem to recall the two white ones got married and live or lived on a sheep farm in New Zealand, their homeland.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 2:04 AM

I saw them — well actually just the lead guy—perform two years ago in NYC. He opened a three band bill made up of Thompson Twins, B-52s, and Culture Club. He was terrific. Voice was strong. He had a smallband made up of young women. He sounded better than the two other acts.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 2:08 AM

R3 - Yes, they married and move to an New Zealand (she's from NZ) island and had some kids. Then they got divorced.

I saw them in 1983 at the Aragon Ballroom (Chicago) with The Reflex as the opening band. Standing room only (it's a ballroom - so no seats). It was awesome.

I wore a deconstructed jacket like he had on the cover of the album, a zebra print t-shirt, jeans and boots. My hair was parted on the side and shaved with different layers. One layer was pink and another was green.

Ahhh...very memorable night.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 2:10 AM

OMG! I saw them at the Aragon also! The opening band had some song called The Politics of Dancing.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 2:17 AM

Tom Bailey is gay and was a professor at a university. I don’t think he was ever married to Alannah

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 2:18 AM

An old DL thread had a poster claiming to have met and hung out with them. He said the guys were cool but she was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 2:20 AM

He not only married alannah he's remarried to another female.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 2:22 AM

R6 - HAHA - Yep - it was the band The Re-Flex.

I loved the scale of the show - not a massive stage with a lot of stuff to look at. But it was great that it was just 1200 people standing and watching.

That's cool you were at the same concert as me - they didn't play there again. It was 1983 wasn't it? Or maybe 84?

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 2:25 AM

I graduated high school in 1982 and I can barely remember this group.

Were they really a top act? Or were they one of seemingly 1000 one-hit wonders of the 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 2:29 AM

I think it was spring '84. We took the El down from Evanston. The Aragon was just a block from the train. Is it still there?

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 2:30 AM

This thread has inspired me to listen to their greatest hits.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 2:31 AM

One of them is a woman?

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 2:33 AM

[quote]Were they really a top act? Or were they one of seemingly 1000 one-hit wonders of the 1980s?

Well, they had seven top 40 hits in the US, with three being in the top 10. Their highest charting single was "Hold Me Now", which peaked at number 3 in May of 1984. They were a pretty hot act from 1984 to 1986 with their videos being in heavy rotation on MTV.

One of my favorite songs that doesn't get played as much as some of their others is "If You Were Here". Most people would recognize it from the movie "16 Candles".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 2:47 AM

LOVED them. Remember their sound and hits from when I came out in college and first his the gay clubs in the early '80s. They always conjure good, exploring memories of mine from that coming-out era.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 2:55 AM

Lies, lies, lies, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 3:01 AM

i saw them live in KC in 1986. I just walked up the box office window and the girl said "my boyfriend couldn't make it and told me to give his ticket to the first good looking guy that walks up" so in I went at the outdoor venue and saw them and BERLIN . Great concert!

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 3:22 AM

i would die to see The Reflex in person, you all are so lucky that you did!

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 3:45 AM

R12/R6 - yes, it was. March or Early April 1984 - I was in the 8th grade.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 3:53 AM

Around fifteen years ago Alannah Currie started a group opposing the government's experiments with genetically engineering cows with human genes as a way to make cow's milk as digestible as human milk. Pearls were clutched when the billboard below went up in Auckland and Wellington.

Now she lives in London and upholsterers old chairs with stuffed human shapes wrapped around, and others have antique taxidermy involved. She's married to Jimmy Cauty from the KLF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 5:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 5:26 AM

The rockumentary and concert movie 'Into the Gap' captures Thompson Twins peak fame during the 1984 US tour (right before their inevitable and rapid decline), Alannah's mini-meltdown on the tour bus "I've done three interviews today, it's just toooo much work!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 5:29 AM

Tom produced Debbie Harry's comeback single I Want that Man. Debbie lived with Tom and Alannah in London while they recorded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 5:43 AM

The first time I ever heard "Hold Me Now" was the also the first time I was ever in a gay bar (Buddies in Boston...the original one on Boylston St). Every time I hear it, I'm right back there again.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 3:08 PM

That was me R8 . I indeed met and hung out with them by the pool of a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale circa 1983-84 . And she was a cunt. When they first came out and got settled by the pool I recognized them,but I didnt play gushing fan (I was far too full of myself to care about celebrity) .I bought them a round of drinks then started chatting with them. The 2 guys were very cool,very friendly ,and she acted like I was bothering them . When the waiter came by I bought the 2 guys another round and totally acted like she didnt exist . I could tell she was pissed but I can out cunt the cuntiest . We chatted,I got up and sailed off ,never once acknowledging her again. I think I amused the 2 guys by freezing her out . Lord that seemed 100 years ago now !

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 3:36 PM

LOL, well played, R26.

Yes, the Aragon Ballroom is still there! Haven't been there for years, of course. I can't remember the last show I saw there.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 4:13 PM

I saw them with Berlin opening in Columbus Ohio. I had front row seats. At one point, he came down from the stage and went by just touching hands with everyone reaching out towards him... he went by me and missed my hand, so I just pulled it back. He saw this, and in the middle of the song, stopped, put his tambourine under his arm, walked back to me, and shook my hand properly, looking me right in the eye and smiling. He then raced back to slap the other hands and back onto stage.

It's about the only time in my life I've ever felt that special... the only person in the audience to shake his hand. I was glowing for days.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 6:03 PM

King for a Day. Loved that song.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 6:36 PM

I did indeed go to see them live in 1986.

I liked them well enough but what I remember about that concert was OMD opened, and I loved their performance - AND both the guys from OMD had the biggest, most mouthwatering baskets. I mean, I was like 10 rows back and I could see VPL. Delicious.

I did like a wide span of TT's stuff - their earlier stuff is more experimental, and I loved this, which was pretty close to the end. I think they had more to say but they were kinda typecast by earlier hits, as so many 80s artists were, sadly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 6:43 PM

they formed a techno group that backed up Traci Lords' badass album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 6:52 PM

I saw them in 1984 during the opening season of the Riverbend Music Center outside Cincinnati. Berlin was the opening act. I really don't remember much about it, except I don't think the crowd was very large.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 6:55 PM

Saw them at Poplar Creek Outdoor Amphitheater, I don't recall the year.

I wore a shirt like the one at the link, a pair of black jeans that I had tailored to a slimmer line, and likely a pair of Docs, which I ordered direct from the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 10:05 PM

R33- it must have been 1986, as OMD opened. Same tour as R30.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 10:08 PM

I saw Tom Bailey open for Culture Club several years ago, and he was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 10:29 PM

Did anyone have the cassette version of Side Kicks that had all the great mixes on the B side of the cassette? There is an import CD of from Japan that has all the mixes that were on the cassette that Arista put out but be careful there is also a version of Quick Step and Side Kicks which is just the regular CD version without the cassette bonus tracks. You have to get the one from Japan.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 1:42 AM

I always associated them with Animotion - another girl/guy act that appeared had a couple of hits, and then disappeared forever,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 1:56 AM

Alannah Currie says of her work as an artist: “I build chairs as bodies to carry narratives and then often I very purposely destroy them. My work talks a lot about the struggle women have to escape the domestic. The facades we create. The complacency we despise. The rage we feel. And the thrill we get from the acts of violence we allow ourselves.”

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 2:07 AM

Everything turned hip-hop-pop at the end of the 80s. Then grunge took over for about 7 years. The British invasion/New Wave electronic sound faded like a sweet dream.

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 2:26 AM

Did Alannah have a thing with Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet? I seem to remember a radio host discussing this, but can’t find a reference to confirm it.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 3:28 AM

I wanted Tony Hadley's thing, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 12:27 PM

Cos you got LOVE!

LOVE!

Love on your side

by Anonymousreply 42August 6, 2020 3:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!