Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Interesting new interview with Lili Taylor

She talks about being bipolar, Harvey Weinstein, Julia Roberts, River Phoenix and more. I’ve always liked her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 21, 2020 11:48 PM

I love that she was furious with Julia for playing a happy hooker.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 10:40 PM

I've worked with her and adore her. She's a cool lady.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 10:45 PM

R2 Please tell us more!

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 10:49 PM

I thought she was good in "American Crime" with DL fave Connor Jessup (even if the idea that Connor Jessup came out of Lili Taylor is laughable). I stopped watching "Six Feet Under" not long after she joined, though. Her character was supposed to be a pill, of course.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 10:52 PM

Her best film is "Dogfight" (1991).

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 10:53 PM

She's starting to look like Thelma Ritter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 10:54 PM

I still remember her from "Mystic Pizza." IMO, she was the best part of that movie. Her character & the way she acted as that character were totally believable.

Sounds like she is older now and not afraid to say things. She was comfortable saying that River Phoenix was an alcoholic and that she wasn't surprised that he died young. Because she admits she is/was an alcoholic as well, plus has mental health issues.

Thanks, OP, for posting the article.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 10:55 PM

R5, Dogfight made me so uncomfortable. I was a huge River Phoenix fan but I don’t think I’d want to see that again.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 10:55 PM

I've never seen him look so plain. And they didn't even try to hide his crossed eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 11:02 PM

Thanks, OP. Great article. Very smart lady. Tells it like it is but it is not rude or demeaning.

I think Dogfight is a great film though. She and River were terrific in it.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote]Like so many of the best female actors – such as Glenn Close and Jessica Lange –

Oh - is that a subtle slap at you-know-who?

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 11:05 PM

One of our best actresses. She was so good she almost managed to salvage that godawful Haunting remake. I felt so bad for her ending up in that turkey, but I guess it helped pay the bills or maybe the script she signed on for was more like the original.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 11:05 PM

R4 Ewww, does Connor rip out of her like the creature in Aliens?

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2020 11:08 PM

God, I love her. I'll never forget her character in "Say Anything" and her awful music. Joe lies... Joe lies... when he cries...

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2020 11:14 PM

I hated Lisa in Six FeetUnder, which is a tribute to Taylor’s great work. She’s cool.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 11:16 PM

Taylor joined "Six Feet Under" much later than the second season, surely?

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 11:19 PM

R16, don’t call me Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 11:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 11:21 PM

Love Say Anything!

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 11:22 PM

Thanks OP for posting this. I love her and don’t see her in enough things these days. They always reuse the same stars and it gets boring. Very talented woman and class act.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 11:26 PM

I thought Lisa on Six Feet Under was one of the best characters ever. Completely unlikable but so dead on for a certain type of woman.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 11:28 PM

Rewatching it, I didn't hate her as much. Nate I hated more. Claire was pretty terrible too. Hell, they all were.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 11:30 PM

R21 It seems many women took Lisa as a model for their behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 11:32 PM

Love her. She’s been in so many great roles - or roles she made great - and is someone I would watch in anything. Also love the way she said Amy Irving saved her onstage.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 11:33 PM

She's terrific, and one of the actresses I will see in nearly anything (The Haunting). She was great in Say Anything, I Shot Andy Warhol, Short Cuts (as Lily Tomlin's kid), Pecker, Dogfight, and Edna Ferber in Mrs. Parker. On and on.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 11:33 PM

I think Dogfight is tremendously moving. They are both great in it.

I also love Lili Taylor. If you liked this interview, you need to track down the interview she did with Marc Maron a year or so ago. Boy, those two have lived interesting lives, and they connect deeply as slightly damaged, compassionate fellow travelers who have seen a lot and are trading notes. She's just so compelling to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 11:34 PM

I mentioned her in the great performances that were never nominated for an Oscar thread. She's one of those actors who always elevates the material. And Dogfight is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 11:38 PM

I saw I Shot Andy Warhol when it came out. As I exited the cinema I passed a group of radical lesbians who were shaking their heads in agreement as one of them stated "I just don't think they captured the real Valerie".

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 11:38 PM

I wished they would have talked about her birding more?

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 11:49 PM

She’s in “Perry Mason”. In case people who like her aren’t aware. Like everyone in the cast, she’s very good.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 11:51 PM

for you, r29 (see link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 11:53 PM

She deserves an Academy Award. So much more talented than Liv Tyler who so many people tend to get her mixed up with.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 11:55 PM

R31 Thanks! R29

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 11:56 PM

[Quote] So much more talented than Liv Tyler who so many people tend to get her mixed up with

In the same way that people mix up Andie MacDowell and Roddy McDowall?

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 11:59 PM

Dogfight is a beautiful film. Fuck the author of this article for being too woke to appreciate it. Lili's best film for sure. She's adorable and heartbreaking in it.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 12:08 AM

Add me to the LOVE her list ! Id love to sit with her and smoke a few bowls and chat for hours .

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 12:11 AM

The scenes she had with Connor Jessup on American Crime were fantastic, she's a great actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 12:12 AM

Oh I forgot to mention her fabulous turn as a villain in Abduction. She can really do the evil thing too

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 12:25 AM

I hated her on SFU. Which means she did a terrific job.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 12:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 12:28 AM

I loved her in I Shot Andy Warhol, particularly how she said “SCUM, the society for cuttin’ up men” in Valerie’s New York accent.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 12:41 AM

American Crime was such a dark show for network TV like ABC, the second season in particular since it dealt with male on male rape accusations which raised troubling questions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 12:41 AM

R42, poor Connor, having to have his hole examined.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 12:47 AM

I hated her character on Six Feet Under!

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 12:48 AM

American Crime was so good.

It's a shame Taylor didn't win the Emmy that year. They put her in lead instead of supporting (which was won by Regina King, ALSO on AC, which shows you how great the cast was). I wonder if she had been in supporting she would have won over King (who also won for the first season).

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 12:49 AM

There is no way people hated Lisa more than Nate on "Six Feet Under". I was so glad when he died.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 12:50 AM

I love that she played an unlikable character on Six Feet Under without sugarcoating it. So many actors have a disease to please and want people to like them and always know that they're good people. Lili just played the role as written and didn't try to soften her up at all. That's truly brave acting.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2020 12:56 AM

The other thing is that Lili is just likable by nature so it's a testament to her acting that she can remove that quality.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2020 12:57 AM

"Oh I forgot to mention her fabulous turn as a villain in Abduction. She can really do the evil thing too"

I meant "Ransom" with Mel Gibson. Ha

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2020 1:00 AM

I watch I Shot Andy Warhol every couple of years. It's still so good. Love the soundtrack. Lili is also good in High Fidelity and Born on the Fourth of July. And, bonus, she graduated from my high school (four years before I did).

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2020 1:06 AM

I hated her role on Hemlock Grove too!

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 1:17 AM

She's so appealing looking when she's dressed as herself, but she's always so plain in movies. But in many ways that's why she's always so busy--there are not enough first-rate actors in Hollywood who can look plain.

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2020 1:32 AM

Are you suggesting most first rate actors can only look glamorous?

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2020 1:33 AM

She's a multi-genre actress and does very well in horror, cult and indie films. Her performance was the only good thing about the 1999 remake of House on Haunted Hill. She excelled in The Conjuring and was pretty decent in Eli.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2020 1:41 AM

She should star in something alongside Toni Collette

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2020 1:53 AM

Side Show?

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 1:54 AM

I kept waiting for Dogfight to morph into a better film. It didn't.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 2:29 AM

This is why I love DL. For years I have always thought that "Dogfight" was a great movie in so many ways that nobody really appreciated. Now I know I haven't been alone. So what the hell is the article saying? The movie is sexist? Lilly is ashamed of it? It should be cancelled? I want Lilly reinterviewed about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 2:45 AM

^ Maybe, just, read the article, for, yourself.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 3:04 AM

This is who Elisabeth Moss wishes she was. I've always liked her. Didn't her ex-boyfriend actor Michael Radaport stalk her for awhile?

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 3:15 AM

^ Yes. It is mentioned, in the article.

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 3:16 AM

Lisa on Six Feet Under was manipulative. She manipulated Nate into marrying him. It’s never stated, but it is likely that Hoyt is Maya’s father. Lili played her really well.

Would have liked more dirt on Julia.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 3:28 AM

R16

She was on a very early season, the first IIRC, since she was Nate's roommate, and he was moving out since he needed to move back home.

I guess I'm in the minority since I didn't hate Lisa. She was obviously a terrible match for Nate, but his choice to marry her was all on him.

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 3:38 AM

R63 She was a passive, aggressive, manipulating, lying cunt.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 3:44 AM

We meet Lisa early in season 2. Nate and Claire go out to Seattle to pick up a body & they stay at Lisa’s. Nate and Lisa hash been occasional fuck buddies, While ordering a meal at a fast food place, Nate has a seizure. He’s scared & seeks out Lisa.

A few epiosides later, Lisa comes to LA pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 3:50 AM

R64

Weren't they all?

Nate marrying her just confirmed to me what a terrible person he was. She let him terminate his parental rights and responsibilities. Marrying her was his dumbshit post-Brenda rebound.

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 3:50 AM

- hash, + had.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 3:52 AM

R62 I think she will always be careful to not trash Julia outright but some morning show in recent years had a Mystic Pizza reunion and Lili's face and body language spoke everything she thinks of Roberts now. She was physically have to stop her eyes from rolling over in her head with her bare hands as Julia gushed. Meanwhile everyone else was treating her like the belle of the ball.

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 3:57 AM

Fuck, Billy Moses has aged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 4:20 AM

I guess we can assume that the writer thought Dogfight was "uncomfortable" because Lili was supposed to be or treated as "ugly" in the film,. But, really, it means the whole film went over the writer's head. Also, the film was directed by a woman, Nancy Savoca.

And, just an aside, I really wish Dogfight would get released on Blu-ray. It can get a musical adaptation but not a transfer to HD physical media.

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 5:02 AM

Fugly, hammy, annoying.

Congratulations to her for playing the most irritating character in Six Feet Under, a show that was littered with white assholes.

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 5:07 AM

When the group was asked who had the most fun on the set of Mystic Pizza, they said Julia. When Julia was asked why, she said, “Because I’m the most innately happy.”

And Lily’s jaw dropped.

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 5:16 AM

R70 i don't get it either. The movie is well done and he obviously wasnt understanding the subject matter or loves to be perpetually offended to the point that he can't accept a good story because it portrays someone doing something currently socially acceptable and dares "mock" a homely girl. News flash. You can tell fine stories about people doing unkind things.

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 5:19 AM

R70 i don't get it either. The movie is well done and he obviously wasnt understanding the subject matter or loves to be perpetually offended to the point that he can't accept a good story because it portrays someone doing something currently socially acceptable and dares "mock" a homely girl. News flash. You can tell fine stories about people doing unkind things.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2020 5:19 AM

R73/R74: the writer, Hadley Freeman, is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2020 6:11 AM

I read her husband Nick Flynn's memoir, "Another Bullshit Night in Suck City", which had some good bits and a lot of rambling. It was made into the Paul Dano movie "Being Flynn" and Taylor has a small role. He wrote another memoir about the making of the movie, which I didn't read.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2020 6:46 AM

I didn't know this:

[italic]It was shortly after the release of I Shot Andy Warhol that it was reported that Taylor had been harassed by her ex-boyfriend, the actor Michael Rapaport. He was charged with two counts of harassment, to which he pleaded guilty. I ask her if this was all going on during the shooting of the film, but I feel trepidatious approaching the subject, certain she will shut it down. Instead, she seizes on it with appetite.

“It was after. But it would have been handy [if it had been during] because I could have used the Society for Cutting Up Men … Boy, if I’d had [Solanas] on my side then, think about that!” she laughs.

I ask if the experience affected her later relationships with men.

“That was hard. I’m not blaming myself, because it’s not my fault that I chose this person. But it made sense to me on a psychological level: I thought about myself in such an undervalued way that I didn’t know I had the right to privacy. That’s some low self-esteem. So since then has been about getting some self-esteem, which has been harder,” she says.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2020 6:55 AM

He's been at the center of a few sordid stories.

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2020 7:10 AM

Rappaport is absolute trash.

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2020 7:16 AM

R78 But I think he falls on the sympathetic side of the Natasha Lyonne story right?

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2020 9:12 AM

Unfortunately Lili’s topless scene in Household Saints made me glad I am gay.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2020 10:40 AM

I’ve NEVER understood how she could have been involved with Michael Rapaport!

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2020 11:49 AM

She elevates. She was great in the conjuring

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2020 11:59 AM

In a podcast she wrote that she did a 'little bit of cocaine'!

by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2020 12:02 PM

One doesn't write in a podcast.

by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2020 12:13 PM

She played a lot of parts in small films where she seemed one anxiety attack short of a straight jacket. I always figured she was like that in real life. It's nice to see her playing something other than waifs in need of a commitment hearing.

by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2020 12:15 PM

What a lovely pic of her OP - she looks so serene

by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2020 12:54 PM

Great interview. Thanks for posting OP.

by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2020 1:02 PM

I liked her in [italic]Pecker.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 89August 4, 2020 1:06 PM

She was so butch in ‘Mystic Pizza 🍕’ , I really thought she might have turned Vincent D’Onofrio gay!

by Anonymousreply 90August 4, 2020 1:07 PM

It's "strait" jacket, R86.

by Anonymousreply 91August 4, 2020 1:24 PM

I thought she was going to reach out of the screen and pull my dick right off!

by Anonymousreply 92August 4, 2020 1:24 PM

American Crime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 4, 2020 2:24 PM

I really like her in movies and tv, but I saw that production of THREE SISTERS she talks about where Amy Irving rescued her and called for the understudy. Lily was horrible, but to be fair, the entire production was terrible. The only person who was enjoyable was Jeanne Tripplehorn, of all people. Calista Flockhart was allegedly good, but she was off the night I saw it. Truly the worst thing I've ever seen on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 94August 4, 2020 2:47 PM

Once the writer started on "Dogfight" I was going to have to stop. Just no. I continued on because I love Lili but these people, god help us.

R70 I'm sure Warner Archives will put it out on Bluray eventually

by Anonymousreply 95August 4, 2020 2:49 PM

Lili Munster!

by Anonymousreply 96August 4, 2020 3:03 PM

People who loved Dogfight....Why?

by Anonymousreply 97August 4, 2020 7:10 PM

Currently watching the movies Bright Angel from 1990 with Lili Taylor. It's very obscure.

by Anonymousreply 98August 4, 2020 7:43 PM

R97 I think the real question is why didn't you love it? I think you need to reach deep in your soul and ask yourself when you died inside.

by Anonymousreply 99August 4, 2020 11:24 PM

I've seen much of Lili's work and always enjoy her. So intense in Andy Warhol.

Glad to see the love for Dogfight. That is always my first association when I hear her name. Not sure why people have a problem with it as a film...it was a fairly simple story, simply told, with great characters.

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2020 1:46 AM

On co star Julia Roberts and knowing she would be famous - "She had that thing that famous people have, this capacity to carry other people's projection. For some people it gets too much and they die, but some people can just carry it."

I can't tell whether that's deliciously bitchy or a very astute observation about fame.

by Anonymousreply 101August 6, 2020 3:51 AM

Arizona Dream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 7, 2020 1:32 PM

She plays crazy really well. I don’t actually think that’s easy; playing the role of someone in the throes of mental illness could easily veer into camp or scenery chewing, like Dunaway in MD. She inhabits those roles with a real sense of nuance for how real people act when they aren’t emotionally well or mentally sound.

by Anonymousreply 103August 7, 2020 1:41 PM

She plays crazy well because she was a mess when she did those roles. She didn't have to "act". Be glad for her that she's grown out of all that.

by Anonymousreply 104August 7, 2020 1:46 PM

R102 Isn't that the mythical Kusturica film that was the hit of all the Europe AND Cannes?

by Anonymousreply 105August 7, 2020 1:50 PM

R105 Yes, I haven't seen it in ages but remember it being very good. Kusturica is one of few two-time Palme d'Or winners, he received them for When Father Was Away on Business and Underground.

by Anonymousreply 106August 7, 2020 2:01 PM

R104 How do you know?

by Anonymousreply 107August 7, 2020 2:09 PM

R106 That's true but Faye Dunaway made a little mistake in that iconic angry voicemail, because Arizona Dream was the belle of the Berlin film festival, not Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 108August 7, 2020 2:12 PM

Lili has the same birthdate (day and year) as Kurt Cobain.

by Anonymousreply 109August 7, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]I thought Lisa on Six Feet Under was one of the best characters ever. Completely unlikable but so dead on for a certain type of woman.

I love Lily Taylor, but Lisa was so insufferable. I've known a number of real-life Lisas and she definitely nailed that particular type.

by Anonymousreply 110August 7, 2020 2:38 PM

R107: Read the thread and the links.

by Anonymousreply 111August 7, 2020 3:52 PM

I'm so happy to see how many of you loved Dogfight too. I have the DVD and saw it recently and was surprised by how well it held up. So many movies from the 90s don't. Another movie I really liked her in was Arizona Dream (the quirky indie film she did with Johnny Depp, Faye Dunaway, Vincent Gallo, and Jerry Lewis).

by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2020 9:54 AM

Loved her as Miep Gies in the Anne Frank miniseries in 2001.

by Anonymousreply 113August 10, 2020 10:02 AM

I really enjoy her style of acting, she has a good voice for it

by Anonymousreply 114August 21, 2020 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!